Demigod power levels?

Discuss the comic here
TyVulpintaur

Demigod power levels?

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Hello, long-time reader, and I've a question about Pete, Dragon, Kitsune, etc.
Was re-reading the archives, and that got me to thinking.
When King goes to Heaven to confront the "guy in charge", he speaks to a blue whale that I take is "God". Okay, so below that God, I take is the demi-god that acted as judge over Pete's trial for interfering in Joel/King's life? And below that is Kitsune? Since he was able to create a veil over the mortals when they quit the "game", and neither Pete nor Dragon was able to sense it. And obviously Pete and Dragon are equals, since they needed avatars for their game?
NHWestoN

Re: Demigod power levels?

Post by NHWestoN »

TyVulpintaur wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:02 am Hello, long-time reader, and I've a question about Pete, Dragon, Kitsune, etc.
Was re-reading the archives, and that got me to thinking.
When King goes to Heaven to confront the "guy in charge", he speaks to a blue whale that I take is "God". Okay, so below that God, I take is the demi-god that acted as judge over Pete's trial for interfering in Joel/King's life? And below that is Kitsune? Since he was able to create a veil over the mortals when they quit the "game", and neither Pete nor Dragon was able to sense it. And obviously Pete and Dragon are equals, since they needed avatars for their game?
Hi, Ty.
Wuhl, I don't claim any expertise in these matters, but in most religious, cosmological, and literary (Milton, Dante, etc.) the Celestial and Infernal realms are depicted in one of two structures. Rick's "Paradise" seems to be a hierarchy (pyramid of Power beings) with Bahuamat (sp?) at the top of the pyramid, coutiers who have assigned cosmic roles like Cerberus on the rungs below, lower demi-gods who sorta hang around awaiting orders but have no assigned responsibilities like Kitsune, and then the redeemed mortals who just enjoy their afterlives. The other model is a "sorta Solar System" (the Ultimate Creator in the center like the sun with other beings "revolving" around That One, again each having more or less power and prestige based on how close their "planet" revolves around the Creator. Second, I think bahaumet shape-shifts, appearing to King as a whale dressed like the Shah of Persia (Cyrus maybe?) under the assumption that such an appearance would cause the corgi less trauma than, say, a hawk-billed dragon. I'm guessing that Pandemonium is based on the same model. Eudoant, then, is an ambitious functionary like Cerberus who works for the ultimate Infernal boss we have not met - and likely won't. Unlike the Celestial realm, the Infernal world is dark, dreary, oppressive and always close to chaotic - like a tin pot dictatorship in some miserable country (unnamed).

Or so thinks I for now.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just thought that Pete, Dragon and Kitsune were all on the same tier with neither one of the three being higher or lower than the other two. Especially since Kitsune didn't just GM their game but seemed to know them personally and there was never any superiority he had over them. I thought that at the end of this that Bahamut would sentence Kitsune to being a mortal because of how bad he screwed up. Instead he chose the life because he fell in love with a mortal fox.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:59 pm I just thought that Pete, Dragon and Kitsune were all on the same tier with neither one of the three being higher or lower than the other two. Especially since Kitsune didn't just GM their game but seemed to know them personally and there was never any superiority he had over them. I thought that at the end of this that Bahamut would sentence Kitsune to being a mortal because of how bad he screwed up. Instead he chose the life because he fell in love with a mortal fox.
I sorta assumed that, since GK was regulating "The Game", held final authority to declare a winner, transform Joel's life, and to impose kinda harsh penelties on both Pete and Spirit Dragon, ol' "Nine Tails" was a notch above them in terms of the Celestial rankings.

. . . Or not. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

As far as I can remember, the space whale, purple dragon judge at the trial, and black dragon that confronted Kitsune, are ALL the same character, Bahamut, who seems to be the one in charge of reality. The reason why Kitsune had such an advantage over Dragon and Pete and why he didn’t have an avatar was because he was the current Game Master. Universes and Unrealities works like Dungeons and Dragons, in which one person is basically “in charge” of how things play out. Basically, Kitsune had “referee” privileges for the duration of the game. The game was long since over by the point of Heckraiser.

Also, Weston, fun fact, the space whale version of Bahamut has origins in pre-Islamic Arabian folklore as one of the entities supporting the earth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamut

The dragon looks are due to the aforementioned Dungeons and Dragons, who used the name for one of their dragon gods. The dragon has since been used for the name in other media like Final Fantasy.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can't remember if it was stated or not thinking back but I thought the comic mentioned that Bahamut appears in whatever form that the person he is communicating with will be more comfortable around to make it easier. In Kitsune's case, I just assumed since he needed to exude authority he chose the dragon with the six-pack that would make Mungo blush. :P
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Okay, I think I get it. Thanks :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:40 pm As far as I can remember, the space whale, purple dragon judge at the trial, and black dragon that confronted Kitsune, are ALL the same character, Bahamut, who seems to be the one in charge of reality. The reason why Kitsune had such an advantage over Dragon and Pete and why he didn’t have an avatar was because he was the current Game Master. Universes and Unrealities works like Dungeons and Dragons, in which one person is basically “in charge” of how things play out. Basically, Kitsune had “referee” privileges for the duration of the game. The game was long since over by the point of Heckraiser.

Also, Weston, fun fact, the space whale version of Bahamut has origins in pre-Islamic Arabian folklore as one of the entities supporting the earth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamut

The dragon looks are due to the aforementioned Dungeons and Dragons, who used the name for one of their dragon gods. The dragon has since been used for the name in other media like Final Fantasy.
Informative and enlightening as always, D-Rock. Thanks. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I knew the name "Bahamut" referred to the name of a dragon in fiction but not to a God honestly. So this is something I learned also.
Wisay1973

Post by Wisay1973 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:38 pm I knew the name "Bahamut" referred to the name of a dragon in fiction but not to a God honestly. So this is something I learned also.
What's the name of that fiction?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It wasn't a fiction in general I just knew the name came from a fiction. I'm sure if you looked you could find some example.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bahamut is a figure in the creation spiritualities of several ancient communities. He seems to have originated as a primal monster being, originally a sort of dragon, whale or huge fish. He often appears as "holding up" the world or assisting other beings in that vital cosmic mission and, in that capacity, is either benign or at the command of benign creation forces. In other variations, he appears as menacing, not because he's vicious and anarchic but mainly because he's just so huge, powerful, and unpredictable.

He appears in Hebrew sagas as the "Behemoth", also associated with hippopotomus type animals. The Lord God of Israel keeps Behemoth under control and prevents him from lumbering around and obtusely breaking stuff. He is sometimes paired with the more familiar monster, Leviathan.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I swear that some fictional stories other than Housepets! also have him as a dragon God. I don't know it for a fact that they do, but I just know its true.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:02 am I swear that some fictional stories other than Housepets! also have him as a dragon God. I don't know it for a fact that they do, but I just know its true.
Wouldn't surprize me, amazz. I think there's a reference to him in Paradise Lost and Pilgrim's Progress but my copies are deep in the storage unity so I can't check. Interesting that Rick chose that figure to be his "Ground of All Being" character but he's clearly both a benign and a no-nonsense sort.

Again, I also assumed that GKitsune posessed powers superior to Pete and SDragon because he's older, but that is an assumption, as well as playing the game master (oops - "The Game" master) role.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually thought that Bahamut was gonna go and punish Kitsune for not paying attention to what was going in by making him mortal. I did not expect him to choose to become mortal. That was a pleasant surprise I will admit.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:05 pm I actually thought that Bahamut was gonna go and punish Kitsune for not paying attention to what was going in by making him mortal. I did not expect him to choose to become mortal. That was a pleasant surprise I will admit.
He did it for his "wife" and "children", and to atone for being a selfish bubblegum before.
Edit: Okay, TIL you can't say (synonym for donkey) on this forum XD...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah you have to be careful with that as any curse word is not allowed here. You can say some minor things but nothing that is explicitly a curse word.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The discourse here does get a little frisky but it's probably important not to let it get too coarse. It's kinda interesting how, over the last decade or so, certain ... shall we say, vulgarities ... have become tolerated in public language.

Doesn't have much to do with superpowers, this topic ... unless we're pondering the "superpowers" of our Mods. ;) :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Never a good idea to ponder that in any way. You make them too angry and they can make posts or worst, YOU disappear. :shock:
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Again not very relevant to demigod stuff but I have a tendency to curse quite a bit. When I draw comics, especially when I first started, I would have like a curse word almost every panel. I'm slowly however starting to realize you don't need to be entirely vulgar and edgy in order to do comedy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When I RP with people I honestly never use swear words. Which is different in real life where I can swear quite a bit because part of me is Italian. =D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When I was nine, Dad and I were cutting branches. The ket saw I was using slipped and cut my thumb. It wasn't at all severe, and I was more startled than hurt but I blurted off a choice four-letter expletive. Well, Dad was a great believer in self-control and avoiding foul language. Instead of punishing me, he just shook his head and remarked "That's very powerful word, son, very powerful. If you're going to use words like that, then you should save them for only the most terrible situations." While I have no idea what sort of an occasion that might be, I did try to avoid such words and instead find euphamisms for them.

At the other extreme, there was a guy in my dorm known as "bleepin'" Carson "bleepin". Whenever "bleepin'" Carson "bleepin'" talked "bleepin'", every "bleepin'" other "bleepin'" word "bleepin'" was "bleepin'" always "bleepin'" bleepin'. ... "bleepin'" :roll: :roll: Always wondered what became of him.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sounds like he did really know a lot of words other than that expletive. XD
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

The more you curse, the less effect the words have and the less the words mean.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then if you hear any from me they won't mean a lot. Because I do swear a lot though not as much as this "Carson" Weston is talking about. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 am The more you curse, the less effect the words have and the less the words mean.
Yeah, there's kind of a process where such langauge, when repeated exhaustively, goes from shocking to vulgar to distracting to boorish to dull to ... yawwwn.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It hasn't happened yet for me and I curse a lot because of the Italian in me. Though I don't sprinkle it liberally through every single ******* sentence either. :P