What is the deal with the hatred on Bino?

Discuss the comic here
TyVulpintaur

What is the deal with the hatred on Bino?

Post by TyVulpintaur »

I've never figured out why everyone hates him. :-/
Harry Johnathan

Re: What is the deal with the hatred on Bino?

Post by Harry Johnathan »

He's basically racist, lol. That's pretty much it.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. Bino ended up growing up with a hatred of cats despite having an adoptive brother who was a cat himself. He also acts obnoxious and thinks he is better than everybody else and lords it over the other pets. Whether that came BEFORE dealing with a somewhat abusive owner and his first girlfriend who cheated on him which led to him getting his second girlfriend who actually IS abusive is beyond me.

Either way, Bino needs loads of therapy. Instead of forcing a pairing with Fox Mungo shoul be trying to help him unpack his truckload of issues. :geek:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, Bino's very self-absorbed, but he's also a bully. Not sure why it would be difficult to understand why some people would hate a bully
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would be lying if I said I wanted to know where his becoming a bully came from. Was it constantly being overlooked by Fido his brother that made him turn out like this? It would be a good storyline for Rick to explore.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Do you man hated by the characters in the comic or by fans?

In the case of the characters, Harry and OBBL have already summed it up. He's an immature, self centred jerk.

As for fans, it's more of a "love to hate" kind of thing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure that they meant the characters in the comic and not the fans. I don't think that the fans really hate him. Well most of them anyway. I am pretty sure most (like me) just feel sorry for him and thing he needs to talk to someone.
Last edited by Amazee Dayzee on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:50 pm I am prtty sure that they meant the characters in the comic and not the fans. I don't think that the fans really hate him. Well most of them anyway. I am pretty sure most (like me) just feel sorry for him and thing he needs to talk to someone.
I feel sorry for whoever he goes to talk to...they'd need a therapist after that, probably.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:50 pm I am prtty sure that they meant the characters in the comic and not the fans. I don't think that the fans really hate him. Well most of them anyway. I am pretty sure most (like me) just feel sorry for him and thing he needs to talk to someone.
Bino is kind of a "sum of all annoyances" sort" - he's a bully, a bigot, a manipulator, unkind, a narcissist, a coward, and a talentless loudmouth. As Amazz suggests, though, he's more pathetic and tiresome than menacing. To top it all off, he's both conniving and incompetant. Initially, he was sort of "Fido's evil twin", being somehoe able to attract the loyalties of secondary comedians like Sasha, Fox, Rex, Boris, Yeltsin and (Heaven knows how) Duchess. Since then, Fox and Sasha have gone on to bigger roles (even episodic star roles) in the strip, Rex, Boris, and Yeltsin slipped to the fringes, and Duchess has eclipsed Bino as a villain, being both more competant, focused, and outright ruthless.

Wonder if the "New Housepets will return to the themes of Good Ol'Dog's Club powerplays?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only reason why Duchess gave Bino a second look was because he was the leader of the GODC and thought that he had power. Little did he know in his role of leader that the club became just as pathetic as he did.

I'm also pretty sure if King had been receptive to her advances (thank GOD he wasn't), she would have latched on to him and tried to mold him into her perfect boyfriend and eventually started abusing him in the same way that she is doing to Bino.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

To give a different answer, it might be because Bino is such a one-dimensional character. He's funny and fun and good for pushing amusing plots along, but at the end of the day, he doesn't really have any sort of character traits beyond a fragile-egoed narcissism. Even the racism other people have pointed out is just an extension of this. Meanwhile, 90% of his agency within the comic is being mean to other characters.

When Fido was introduced, he was a good contrast for this, especially since he undoes a lot of what Bino does, except by the end of his first arc, he makes out with Sabrina, making him infinitely more interesting than Bino. Fido had entire character arcs which took him in vastly different directions.

Joey is also a good contrast, because he doesn't really care what anyone thinks about him at this point, but once again, he is far more interesting, playing d&d, dating a mouse... I would like to see a scene where Bino confronts Joey about Squeak, and Joey actually stands up to him. The sheer fact that I can think of interesting scenes that subvert his central character traits make him a stronger character.

Meanwhile, it was recently pointed out in thread about which characters might leave or return If Rick keeps writing these, that Tiger is basically the same character but too lazy and goofy to reach Bino levels of annoying. Same with Spo really, there are funnier yet less intrusive narcissists in the cast.

I appreciate him as a plot device and a vehicle for gags, but he is one of the weakest characters in the comic.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It would be so easy to flesh him out a bit though if Rick wants to go in that direction as there are so many directions he can be taken in. Though I am sure Rick just likes writing him the way he writes him and I am also pretty sure the cat version of him (Tiger) won't ever be seen again when the comic starts up for the reboot.
Harry Johnathan

RockstarRaccoon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 pm Meanwhile, it was recently pointed out in thread about which characters might leave or return If Rick keeps writing these, that Tiger is basically the same character but too lazy and goofy to reach Bino levels of annoying. Same with Spo really, there are funnier yet less intrusive narcissists in the cast.
I never thought of Tiger as even remotely similar to Bino, tbh. Bino has always had this veneer of respectability thanks to Fido's acheivements and his managment of the main hangout for pets in the area (well, until Fox left lol). Tiger has nothing. His adopted brother became the center of a crazed cult (and later abandoned him), Marvin is a nerd who hangs out with a niphead, and Tiger himself has a terrible name that gets him bullied endlessly. In addition, he seems to have an eating disorder and his own psychosis caused himself to be embarassed on national television, so I think it's safe to say Tiger is more of a victim of society who lashes out with the limited agency he has, while Bino is just a narcissist desperately holding onto power.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Tricksy

Post by Tricksy »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:37 pm
RockstarRaccoon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 pm Meanwhile, it was recently pointed out in thread about which characters might leave or return If Rick keeps writing these, that Tiger is basically the same character but too lazy and goofy to reach Bino levels of annoying. Same with Spo really, there are funnier yet less intrusive narcissists in the cast.
I never thought of Tiger as even remotely similar to Bino, tbh. Bino has always had this veneer of respectability thanks to Fido's acheivements and his managment of the main hangout for pets in the area (well, until Fox left lol). Tiger has nothing. His adopted brother became the center of a crazed cult (and later abandoned him), Marvin is a nerd who hangs out with a niphead, and Tiger himself has a terrible name that gets him bullied endlessly. In addition, he seems to have an eating disorder and his own psychosis caused himself to be embarassed on national television, so I think it's safe to say Tiger is more of a victim of society who lashes out with the limited agency he has, while Bino is just a narcissist desperately holding onto power.
The reason why people consider Bino and Tiger to be very similar is because one of, if not their biggest, character trait is being very full of themself and looking to be the center of everyone's attention.But yeah, aside from that they are pretty different and it feels like a lot of people don't see it because they haven't had a lot of appearence compared to some of the other characters (especially in Tiger's case) which makes it harder to pick up on their personality beyond their most obvious trait.
NHWestoN wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 am

Wonder if the "New Housepets will return to the themes of Good Ol'Dog's Club powerplays?
You know, given that the only main character who even goes to the Good Ol'Dog's Club (beside Duchess and Bino) is Grape, new arcs about it would probably involve a lot of Grape/Bino interaction, which I'm all for because it would allow to show more of the more "punchy"/"violence is the answer" side of Grape's personality that we don't get to see very often.

Tho if you wanted an arc that doesn't rely solely on Grape,Bino and Duchess dynamic, you'd need to find a reason for the other characters to care about the Club, since again, Grape is the only main character who even goes there anymore.
Last edited by Tricksy on Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

There are some parallels between Bino and Tiger, both being self-centered, manipulative, and grasping. Tiger, however, lacks Bino's ambition and intelligence. His goals are more "cartoonish" - posturing, attention, gluttony, and petty revenge (all of which backfire disastrously). Bino, while equally vindictive, has more self-control than Tiger who often goes off into destructive rages when things don't go his way. Being also rather morose and pouty, Tiger is impossible to fit into group adventures because he's pretty anti-social and seems to have very minimal contact with any other characters beyond Marvin, Zach, and Jessica and her crew. Zach pities and avoids him. Jessica would despise him but finds amusement in antagoising him.

Marvin is kinda problematic. He seems to have been intended to be Tiger's "pet-brother", straight man, and comic rescuer and faailed to break out of that imprisonment. However, early on, Marvin did show some abilities to stand on his own, apart from Tiger - as Max's challenger in a Haunted House, episode, as a player in an "Imaginate" (Teh Little Indians, maybe?), and a couple of other short appearances. I'd kinda hoped Marvin might emerge from Tiger's baleful companionship to stand on his own occasionally, buddy up with Max or another character, or become a rival for Grape's attention but ... t'wasn't to be.

So, being tied to ceratin settings and schticks, Tiger and Marvin remained secondary and, like Bino's posse or Lester's gamer foursome, fadedinto the background. Maybe a reversion "slice of life" settings will bring them back. Or not.
Nizeed

Post by Nizeed »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:33 pm There are some parallels between Bino and Tiger, both being self-centered, manipulative, and grasping. Tiger, however, lacks Bino's ambition and intelligence. His goals are more "cartoonish" - posturing, attention, gluttony, and petty revenge (all of which backfire disastrously). Bino, while equally vindictive, has more self-control than Tiger who often goes off into destructive rages when things don't go his way. Being also rather morose and pouty, Tiger is impossible to fit into group adventures because he's pretty anti-social and seems to have very minimal contact with any other characters beyond Marvin, Zach, and Jessica and her crew. Zach pities and avoids him. Jessica would despise him but finds amusement in antagoising him.

Marvin is kinda problematic. He seems to have been intended to be Tiger's "pet-brother", straight man, and comic rescuer and faailed to break out of that imprisonment. However, early on, Marvin did show some abilities to stand on his own, apart from Tiger - as Max's challenger in a Haunted House, episode, as a player in an "Imaginate" (Teh Little Indians, maybe?), and a couple of other short appearances. I'd kinda hoped Marvin might emerge from Tiger's baleful companionship to stand on his own occasionally, buddy up with Max or another character, or become a rival for Grape's attention but ... t'wasn't to be.

So, being tied to ceratin settings and schticks, Tiger and Marvin remained secondary and, like Bino's posse or Lester's gamer foursome, fadedinto the background. Maybe a reversion "slice of life" settings will bring them back. Or not.
Oh. Thanks for info
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, gladly. I have a small (and sometimes tiresome) obsession with characters and relationships I wish Rick had developed more. Don't get me started on the comic possibilities of Sasha and Daisy as a duo. (You just heard a low forum moan of "Aw, crumbs, somebody stop him!") Another is I would like to have seen more cat characters get spotlight time, Marvin being one of them.

... and then I remind myself that I am a guest in Babylon Gardens, and this is Rick's world. But he clearly doesn't mind, it's kinda fun, and we'll just have to see how Housepets 2.0 unfolds.

Again, welcome to the forum. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think he was ever planning on using Daisy for anything of than the joke she was known for in the comic. If he was going to develop her he would have done it during the arc that Sasha was brainwashed into kidnapping Keene. I don't think we will be seeing her again.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:41 am I don't think he was ever planning on using Daisy for anything of than the joke she was known for in the comic. If he was going to develop her he would have done it during the arc that Sasha was brainwashed into kidnapping Keene. I don't think we will be seeing her again.
Sadly, I can`t disagree with any of that, Amazz ... just ... old guy thoughts, yah know. ;) Still ..............
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure somebody at some point will be able to put together a fan fiction starring her. That most likely is all we will get.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:59 pm I'm sure somebody at some point will be able to put together a fan fiction starring her. That most likely is all we will get.
If that ... Still, she has appeared in extended roles in a number of fanfics.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Interestingly enough, Bino also has (or had) a retinue of followers who themselves were good comic fodder. Given that he has the charisma of a woodchuck, this is unrealistic but made for great situational humor. That group seem, however, to have abandoned him and pretty much evaporated. Rex still makes occasional appearances but has gone from being an overbearing strongarm man and Bino's second-in-command to being a cookie-baking pussycat. Boris apparently now works for Duchess. Yeltisn, Griswold, and Devo have not been seen for years (Devo had a brief return as Lois's dog, chasing Marion up a Christmas tree). Fox has gone on to other arcs, adventures, and adversities.

I wonder if Rick had intended to develop arcs where Bino and Fido ot into various rivalries but that didn't emerge significantly. Maybe their relationship will provide some threads in the new version of Housepets. Or not.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always thought that the only reason why Bino had followers is because they were originally FIDO'S followers before he went off to become a K-9 police dog. Once the pets realized how ineffective and pathetic Bino was they just left him.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think I recall reading somewhere that the loyalty to Bino was initially because he was Fido’s brother. Though the fact that beating up Bino wasn’t a bannable offense even while Fido was the head of the club seems to point to the fact that even then, they had a threshold with him.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Truthfully, I don't remember them as "inherited" but that would make sense given that Bino himself probably couldn't attract mosquitoes. Bit of a rough crowd to pal around with Fido but, yeah. okay. Origin stories and all.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that it was only Fox that beat up Bino and that happened twice which was why nothing was done because it wasn't seen as a widespread problem. Not to mention that both times it happened he deserved it though I still am not a big fan of violence as a solution when its as bad as what Fox did (which was put him in the vet's clinic both times)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, when Rick relaunches, I have a feeling Bino will be back although maybe not with the rest of the Good Ol' Dogs Club crowd. Maybe more of the Bino-Max rivalries ....
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:35 pm Well, when Rick relaunches, I have a feeling Bino will be back although maybe not with the rest of the Good Ol' Dogs Club crowd. Maybe more of the Bino-Max rivalries ....
Bino getting a redemption arc (and, if not that, at least a deeper dive into his self-destructive tendencies) is really just the next logical step for the comic IMO. Honestly kinda shocked that it didn't happen before the grand finale.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

If Housepets! doesn't return in some form pretty soon, we're all gonna require theraputic counseling. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since Rick isn't doing arcs anymore any sort of redemption Bino might get probably won't be shown in full. It is a shame but I do believe he isn't that bad deep down.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:37 pm Since Rick isn't doing arcs anymore any sort of redemption Bino might get probably won't be shown in full. It is a shame but I do believe he isn't that bad deep down.
......Not that kind of "arc", Dayzee.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We’re not getting Celestial-grade arcs, not “no arcs at all.”
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh so you mean we aren't getting very long arcs out of the new comic but there are still some plots. Good to know because I thought the strips would be whatever Rick felt like writing.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bino's kind of a comic villain - crafty, selfish, manipulative, envious (especially of Fido, his "all-American super-dog" brother on the police force) but rather endearingly malaprop and incompetant. He can give a kind of leaderly image to impressionable souls like Sasha, Rex, Yeltsin, and (for a while) Fox.... at least, for a while. Duchess, on the other hand, is genuinely sinister.