The left out female dogs I hope we could see more of.....

Discuss the comic here
ZAR22

The left out female dogs I hope we could see more of.....

Post by ZAR22 »

Hey, I noticed with the EXCEPTION of celestials, we don't have alot of female dogs with a arc solo focused on them, with the only exceptions being sasha, bailey, and tarot ( and bino's present girlfriend, duchess, to a VERY lesser degree), and we have more female cats with characterized personalities and interactions in One-off panels by themselves, FOCUSED on them, then male cats (ironic since there are more Male cats then females), and Male dogs take up the majority.

I am just saying I would like to see a little more female dog gags (BESIDES: bailey (as much as she is my fav. Dog character, she is way busy with parenting and such, so I don't want her to be yanked out of her more important stuff), tarot (she is having personal issues, and don't want to bother her), sasha (legal issues she is having with being adopted and I don't want to see a joke made out of her situation, because I respect the legal process she is going through), and duchess (bruh, it's DUCHESS, and she is so self centered, I will pass on HER)) that are one off and focused on those characters, and we can have more of them.

And no the wolves are NOT dogs, sure they are canines, but NOT dogs, so BESIDES them. I mean dogs of the real life domesticated breed.

Reccomendations:

Daisy, the REAL her, full dialog and all besides "Hi I'm daisy".
The female K-9 unit member seen at the pet wedding, come on!! The possibilites we can use for her!!

If we HAD to include celestials, then spring and summer, and maybe a winter and autumn/fall couple of dogs too? I mean, fire, earth, wind in September anyone?

I would say cerb, but I don't think it's possible given her job position.

I would also say olive, but she may be to young.

Wow, just noticed most of the female dogs I recommend have either black fur, or are a husky breed of some sort.

But anyway, I guess I just want to see more: daisy, spring, summer, olive(?), cerb, K-9 female dog, and if I had to say ONE of the wolves, natille (probably spelling it wrong).

But what are your thoughts? Are there any female dogs you noticed that don't get alot of solo panels and attention they deserve besides bailey, tarot, sasha, and duchess?

Let me know, THX!! :D :D
Vertigo Fox

Re: The left out female dogs I hope we could see more of....

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Seems like you might be most satisfied if you wrote it. :? I believe there's a whole section here for fanfic if you want.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Nah, because then it wouldn't be the characters that RICK wrote, rather my own interpretation, and while there is nothing wrong with the fanfics, I would like to have better seen what he would have done with them. If nothing, and he would say something to the effect of "we may not see them again, of ever" then I would be more inclined to write a script for someone to write and draw a gag (someone who can draw really close to the HP! Design) explaining why we won't see them again. But thx for the idea and info!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Yeah, I agree with you on principle I just think if Rick were to do something like that he should choose what to write it about. He's probably already planning the next few arcs and doesn't want or need any of us to be his manager :P
Besides, I heard somewhere that fans tend to make bad managers :lol:
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Vertigo Fox wrote:Yeah, I agree with you on principle I just think if Rick were to do something like that he should choose what to write it about. He's probably already planning the next few arcs and doesn't want or need any of us to be his manager :P
Besides, I heard somewhere that fans tend to make bad managers :lol:
Yeah, alot of fans can be mangers, I am not trying to be, I just hope Rick shows us those female doggos again is all.
NHWestoN

Re: The left out female dogs I hope we could see more of.....

Post by NHWestoN »

From time to time, the debate revives about whether or not Rick takes inspiration from any of the comments made on the forum. Since I don't follow the strip or the threads with the same apostolic zeal of some folks, I can't speak to evidence of that. However, a number of fans have offered some really inspired ideas on the threads devotes to "arcs we'd like to see."

There's an ancient warning about such over-the-shoulder kibbitzing, "Humans are subject to four destructive temptations - Sex, Money, Power, and the Desire to change the written word of someone else." I guess art, comics, and other story work could qualify as "written word".

So, with those disclaimers, I admit I'd like to see some more stories with the female dogs and, for that matter, a couple more female cats. I am a big fan of the "new and improved" Daisy, would like to see her again, and think she'd make a great comic or adventuring pairing with Sasha. Tarot and Sabrina are also an intriguing duo for some comic bits. Even some of the older males - Rex, Yeltsin, etc. - might pair up with them (Yeltsin trying to date Daisy).

But I don't want to go down that road too far. As I've said before, it's Rick's world and I'm a guest here. Sometimes a comic character just doesn't take off or the creator loses interest in them in favor of other "stars". As Charles Schultz said about some of the Peanuts gang, "When Lucy and Linus came along, I just lost interest in the early characters - Shermy, Violet, Patty, I couldn't make them interesting. Freida and Pig Pen were one-joke actors, and they didn't inspire me."

But ... still ... I'd love to see Daisy and Sasha do an abbott and costello bit or two. ........................ :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm now thinking I wanna see more of Duchess if only because she needs to get more just desserts.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:09 pm I'm now thinking I wanna see more of Duchess if only because she needs to get more just desserts.
They'd have to be delivered ... social distancing, you know. `Course, snob that she is, Duchess is already a pro-distancer.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She has gotten the art of distancing down before it even was implemented!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Going back to the original post, I've always been a bit puzzled that Rick never developed the "female K9 dog who was at the King-Bailey wedding". She's depicted twice - at the ceremony and then in a close-up at the bouquet-toss. She looks like an interesting personality and the k9s could use a female on the force. There's a variety of pairings to make with her, and she might make an interesting foil for Sargeant Ralph. Ah, well ............ :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is the canine in question the one that is sitting next to Terrence (somebody who we haven't see at all in the past few years) in the pews? I don't know whether the dog is a male or a female.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:35 pm Is the canine in question the one that is sitting next to Terrence (somebody who we haven't see at all in the past few years) in the pews? I don't know whether the dog is a male or a female.
Yes, that's her. If you have Book Five: Housepets Don't Criticize Your Lovelife, she also appears in quarter-page picture on page fifty where Karishad is helping Tarot snatch the bouquet. She's in the right side of the panel wearing a pink collar with the slashed zero sign as her dogtag. I sort of assumed she's female because of the color of the collar but, of course, I should know better.

After his appearance at the wedding scene (2013), Terrance is not seen again until he has a non-speaking walk-on in the first panel of My Life as a Teenaged Squirrel: Part Three, dated 17 July 2019. Sadly, he has not appeared again. Not enough muscles maybe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the dog you are talking about has a pink collar on then yes most likely it is a female character so I also agree it would have been nice to see more of her and a female on the K9 force. So is her appearance when Kari helps Tarot to snatch the bouquet in the book and not in the online comic>
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I think so.
At this point, I could even applaud seeing an encore by Spring and/or Summer............. :|
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Man!! It's been ages since I posted on here!! The format of this overall forum changed!!! But it is nice to see a forum that I think I made got necro'd! Never happed before!! But anyways, I get everyone wants tarot and duchess and sasha again, and no offense to their characters, but I think we have seen alot of them. But I think I agree with everyone on the female K-9 member, and daisy. However I didn't know the female K-9 member had more then one comic appearance the the wedding flower toss scene. I think I would need people in red, to circle where they(because while it appears she, rick could change them to a he) are standing and what they are doing. Also, WHY was she at the wedding? I thought it was only folks they knew?

But yeah, an encore from any female dog outside tarot, duchess, sasha, and bailey, would ne nice, even if it is a BRIEF cameo.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that the reason she was there was because after what happened at Jata and Sabrina's wedding Keene wanted every single group with authority there to prevent it from turning into a massive debacle.
Last edited by Amazee Dayzee on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Oh.... huh. Well, atleast that solves that mystery.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No it really doesn't because I don't think I am correct and that is just a wild mass guess on my part.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Oh..... well, atleast it's something! 🤷‍♂️
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

True ... and I'd STILL like to see a few more of the infrequent female characters.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I also wouldn't mind if Rick added a few more female dogs.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 pm I also wouldn't mind if Rick added a few more female dogs.
... and females cats. Maybe bring the Barn Cats into an arc or give one of the Bigglesworth cats a more substantive role. (`course, the whole humor underscoring the Bigglesworths is their existance as a interchangeable mob with a total lack of individuality so there's that......)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah if Rick were to make one of the Bigglesworth's have a more distinct personality, that gag would never be able to work much again.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 pm Yeah if Rick were to make one of the Bigglesworth's have a more distinct personality, that gag would never be able to work much again.
Well, the individual would need something that would distinguish her from the regular cast and not just the rest of the Bigglesworths. Sometimes that works, sometimes it's just a glorified walk-on or cameo. Sorta like how Rick toyed around with Jasper - or even Rex - never quite finding enough of a distinctive role or personality to keep the character alive.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that but if you have one Bigglesworth that is different from all of them though, it would be like making a brand new character and also ruining the gag that Rick does with the Bigglesworths so in this case I think it would just be better to use a new character in this case.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder what Colleen is up to?
Marba

Post by Marba »

Colleen is either doing more Dog Pageants or is coping over the loss of the last pageant by getting addicted to orange soda.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I half-expect to see her thrown out of an orange soda serving establishment completely out of her mind on it and getting belligerent only to pass out in a gutter somewhere. :o
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:19 pm I half-expect to see her thrown out of an orange soda serving establishment completely out of her mind on it and getting belligerent only to pass out in a gutter somewhere. :o
Okay, I laughed out loud at that image. Thanks, chum!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its something that I would expect because she seems like the type to be all prim and proper and then as soon as life gets hard she drowns her sorrows.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Since we're now in an arc featuring Heavenly wish-fulfillment as a prelude to an apocalyptic confrontation with the forces of "Really-Really-Really-Bad (Pandemonium for short)", how about Daisy gets a speaking walk-on episode.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:43 pm Since we're now in an arc featuring Heavenly wish-fulfillment as a prelude to an apocalyptic confrontation with the forces of "Really-Really-Really-Bad (Pandemonium for short)", how about Daisy gets a speaking walk-on episode.
I second that request. Her Character intrigues me.
Disproportionately Dappled
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm not sure why, I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of "bit-players" in stories, comics, and cartoons. In Housepets, BOOK ONE, Daisy is listed as "the Dumber Dog" (as opposed to Sasha who was just "The Dumb Dog") but I always saw little glimpses of personality potential in her that might be developed (like giving the raccoons trash bags of food for Christmas revealing an unsuspected compassionate side). Then when we had the rather extended arc about Fox and Mungo trying to find who tried to murder Keene Milton, Daisy reveals herself to be articulate, thoughtful, and good friends with Sasha. Again, I thought those traits opened the possibilities of an expanded role for her character, maybe making her and Sasha sort of a comic duo of opposites. So far, Rick has not taken her any further and Daisy has not been seen again. She is not even listed among the "Dog Characters" in the Wiki Characters roster.

Dynamic comic world live and so characters come and go according to the interests of the artist-story-teller. My favorite example, one most comic fans know, is Charles Schutz's Peanuts. Among the first characters in the strip back in the 1950s were Shermy, Violet, and Patty. As the comic evovled, they faded, eclipsed by more dynamic personalities like Lucy, Peppermint Patty, and (of course) Snoopy. Some characters walked on, established themselves, and then became "seldom seens" because, as Schultz put it "I didn't know new ways to make him funny" (Pig Pen), "he/she was basically a one-joke character and the joke was pretty much told" (Frieda, the kids with numbers for names, Snoopy's unnumberable siblings) or "I just got tired of him/her (Roy, Eudora). So, I guess, it is with Rick's Housepets gang. Rex, Tiger, and Marvin, for example, have drifted off-stage while newer characters come forward (Mungo, Gale, Breel, Lois and Marion) and others emerged as deeper, more nuanced personalities (Maxwell, Fox, the puppies).

So it goes and so it goes. But I'd still like to see Daisy get her moment. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, maybe that curtain drop suggests we'll see more of Tarot when the strip (assumption here) resumes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If she is pregnant that we will have to see her. I highly doubt Rick would let the whole arc of her pregnancy play out off-panel.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:11 pm If she is pregnant that we will have to see her. I highly doubt Rick would let the whole arc of her pregnancy play out off-panel.
Yeah, we'd eventually get around to noticing that omission. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention there is just too much potential in an arc where we see Tarot pregnant and dealing with everything that comes with it! This might be what helps Peanut to grow up a bit.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 pm Not to mention there is just too much potential in an arc where we see Tarot pregnant and dealing with everything that comes with it! This might be what helps Peanut to grow up a bit.
Maturity might make Peanut more paternal and responsible but probably much less funny. Besides, King and Bailey cover that waterfront pretty well (wonder how the puppies are doing - are they teen-agers now? Look out, Natalie.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I totally disagree with that. I think Peanut can grow a little and still be his funny and adorable self.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

This topic touches on a theme in Housepets that I've thought about a little too much, but so much that I had to come back from the dead and write about it here: I think that, in the early years, Rick unconsciously made the analogy of dogs=boys and cats=girls, which has had a deep effect on Housepets as a whole.

It's not based on any definite thing but a bunch of small things that have made me connect the dots. First of all there is, of course, Peanut and Grape. They were the only significant characters for a good while. Peanut is a guy, and Grape a gal. The story is mostly told from Peanuts perspective being in love with grape, and it's the typical boy-in-love-with-girl story. The first point I'd like to make is that the story would not work if Peanut was a cat and Grape a dog. Dogs in general are often associated with typical traits of boys like hyperactivity, being more physical, and not being very intelligent (no hate) while cats are associated more with typical traits of girls like being less physical, and more emotionally mature. All of this to say that Peanut would not work as a playful and hyperactive cat, and Grape would not work as a reserved and wiser dog.

The next big point I'd like to make comes from the well known fact that Rick is heavily inspired by Calvin and Hobbes, where Peanut of course, is Calvin. (and Grape is Hobbes but don't think about that because it doesn't work with the point I'm trying to make lol). An important theme in Calvin and Hobbes is Calvin's club that he calls GROSS (Get Rid Of Slimy girlS). Him and Hobbes have meetings, and scheme on how to hate on girls. You see where I'm going? Calvin's club is without a doubt the inspiration for the Good Old Dog's club, where instead of boys against girls, you have dogs against cats. The problem is, Rick hasn't quite been able to get rid of the boysVSgirls theme: the top dogs of the neighborhood, Bino and his gang, are all male, and the first cat they ever antagonize is Grape, who at that point was the only female character (although she was assumed to be male). This again entrenched the association of dog=male and cat=female in Rick's head, I believe. Also note that "Good Old Dog's Club" is a direct reference to "Good Old Boy's Club", a term used to describe groups of men who support each other. Intentionally or unconsciously, this became an important basis for Rick's characterization of his characters.

As a last but the most important point, I would like to mention that Peanut, Fox, and King are the greatest characters in Housepets, the ones that have had the deepest emotional conflicts and characterizations. They are all dogs, AND guys, and it's not a coincidence. This is because these three characters are all self-insertions of Rick: he tells us, to some extent, his own conflicts through these characters, which is why their stories are the most compelling and relatable to us. This is why they are guys, and since Rick mostly assosiates himself with dogs rather than cats, they are also dogs. This is the third reason I believe that Rick makes the assosiation of dog=guy and how the counterpart of the dog, the cat, also becomes the gal. As the universe developed, female dogs and male cats were of course introduced, but these remain mostly superficial characters.

Anyway that's why there are few female dogs, and in turn few male cats. Rant over :D
I specialize in wolf head avatars.