Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Where to start? How to start? 

Post Where to start? How to start?
Hi, I recently found this webcomic and I thought the few pages I read of it were interesting so I figured it might be a good idea to start from the beginning.

Then I saw that the beginning was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in 2008.

Is there some kind of "download archive" or "view multiple pages on one screen" system I can use? The prospect of clicking through every single page is just a wet blanket. I wouldn't mind simply jumping ahead but I don't know if/where there is a "start reading here cause I rebooted things"-point.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Post Re: Where to start? How to start?
I don’t think so, but in case I’m wrong, you might inform people how far in you are at the moment, there might be more or less options depending on that... will bring up the imaginate and the Spot (superdog) arcs have no major impact on the plot going forward, aside from the one offs they are the only thing I know you can skip over

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello, welcome, another generic greeting!
I wish I could be more helpful, but as far as I know, this comic doesn't have any of the features your talking about (although, all things considered, it's probably a good thing there hasn't been a reboot that invalidated the first half). As with all webcomics I've seen, the first part is the worst. Unfortunately for you, the first part of Housepets is foundational for the rest of the comic (and really, it's not bad per say, just not as good as it gets). The comic was originally made in black and white until the first Christmas strip. The good news for you is some fans decided to make colored versions and compile them all onto one page like you asked for; you can find it at It's a REFOOT! (a REFur project rebOOT). For the other 94.7% of the comic, you'll have to slog through clicking through every page. If your really serious about getting through quickly, I could try to make a list of strips or arcs you could skip, but if I go farther that guest comics or maybe one-offs, It'd be labeled as blasphemy by the rest of the members. Something to know about is through the first Valentines day stip, if you held your mouse over the picture it would just say the strip's name, but comics made after that there would be an extra punchline or other information.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Yeah, Champion, I recall a previous thread about "which arc's are worth skipping" and it got kinda rough. Everyone likes different parts of the series, so you'll have to discover what you like best on your own through your own findings. Callbacks are common, but reboots have not happened.

Some people like the slice of life stuff over the fantastical adventures, some it's the opposite. I'm sire even the Spot comics and Imaginate arc's have their fans. Nothing is objectively "better," but at the same time Rick uses the comic as a sort of experimentation ground at times.

So yeah, sorry there's no easy answer.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think there is anyway you can skip over any of the arcs so you need to read them all. The good news is that eventually you will be able to get caught up. It took me 2 weeks but that was all the way back in 2014. LOL

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm
Smiley McSmiles

Just pace yourself. As far as I'm concerned, just about every part of this comic is enjoyable. As long as you don't treat it as some big project that you absolutely must catch up on, but rather a long string of stories to read through in your own time, I don't believe you'll burn out on this comic ^^

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I want to point out something that have been on my mind since this version of the website got out, and I think that for new readers not having a CAST page could really affect their experience. For a lot of us not having a Cast page doesn’t affect much, since we’re familiarized with the characters but I think that for someone who’s starting to read the comic, not having an index of the characters could be an issue.

Now, I know that HP! cast is big, there are a lot of characters and making it would require A LOT of time and thought, so I get why a Cast page isn’t a priority for Rick.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 am

When I started reading I used the Wiki to help keep track of everyone. https://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

Parts are somewhat out of date however.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:40 am

It still amazed me when I found out Housepets had a big enough audience to justify a wiki

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:46 am

Basically any type of media these days now is qualification enough to get a wiki page. Whether that wiki page is well-maintained is a whole other story.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 pm

As the King of Hearts directed the White Rabbit about a d easing assignment, "Start at the beginning and, when you come to the end, stop."

I bought the books. They were worth it. If that's not your bag (or your budget), try starting at the beginning and read maybe ten strips a day. If you're not enjoying the reading, maybe that's a message, too.

Regards.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Though if you are and you can do more than 10, feel free to read more strips but just don't burn yourself out.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]