2018/04/25 - The More Things Change

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/04/25 - The More Things Change

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/04/25 - The More Things Change]
Title Text: okay, but no mushrooms

This should be interesting.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2018/04/25 - The More Things Change

Post by Gbr23 »

You should go on vacation Keene, rest. Also Lana is a great choice
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Yeah Lana is definitely the better choice for this job.
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

Man... He still has to wear glasses after the transformation? You would think a demigod would at least have some mercy and fix his eyesight after making him into a badger via cursed gold coin.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Yeah, Lana can handle this. She's always struck me as generally level-headed and capable.

Although Duke shouting his interpretation of "Legal Talk" into a toy phone is a great image.

Also, They let Steward keep the cursed coin? Why? I know it's not particularly useful, but it seems like something that should be kept under controlled conditions.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Why is the first thing that popped into my head how Steward (and Thomas for that matter) got over their advanced nakedness so quickly? :P Maybe it’s just a psychological thing for ferals to not worry as much about their appearance - like King after he got his collar (dogs being somewhat more innately accustomed to human sensibilities)? Or maybe they’re just more jaded as villains? Ah well, probably overthinking it. Steward’s got glasses at least. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bandit1990 wrote:Also, They let Steward keep the cursed coin? Why? I know it's not particularly useful, but it seems like something that should be kept under controlled conditions.
Uh, other than Thomas (who's a Camel) I don't think anyone knows Steward's a Badger.

I’m stepping back, not stepping off,
my families work here isn’t done.
My part in it is now over, though,
and Lana’s part has just begun.
Don’t underestimate her, my friends,
she’s the smartest of all the rest
and, when it comes to sanity, guys,
she clearly the one who impressed.
My lawyer is missing - and he'd gone feral;
my owners son is now a Camel.
Why do people think change is strange?
It’s just become the time to rearrange.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Bandit1990 wrote: Also, They let Steward keep the cursed coin? Why? I know it's not particularly useful, but it seems like something that should be kept under controlled conditions.
I don't think Keene was present for Stewards change. Also, maybe it's a case of needing the venom to make the anti-venom? Find out how the curse works, then you can start there on reversing it.
Rikunda wrote:Man... He still has to wear glasses after the transformation? You would think a demigod would at least have some mercy and fix his eyesight after making him into a badger via cursed gold coin.
Curses rarely have a level of convenience.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Is it just me or is the first panel directed at us, the forumites? Have we ever seen the back of Keene's head like this before? Interesting that now he's a badger his glasses are finally transparent.
I don't quite understand the second panel; is he saying his financial problems disappeared (he somehow got more money for this|good thing), his legal support disappeared (his lawyers quit|bad thing), and Steward disappeared (no-one but Keene and Thomas recognize him as a badger|looks bad to public, but good for Keene). Also, in the image is Steward laundering the cursed gold through the local wildlife for Keene (exchanging it for a different currency because ferals can use cursed gold among themselves with no problem) or is he using his "share" to buy a decent life as a badger?
Xane wrote:Should've taxidermied him, Keene.
Wouldn't that be straight up murder?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Douglas Collier

D-Rock wrote:
Rikunda wrote:Man... He still has to wear glasses after the transformation? You would think a demigod would at least have some mercy and fix his eyesight after making him into a badger via cursed gold coin.
Curses rarely have a level of convenience.
*entering in-character mode*

Mine did. No more glasses. Also made it so I didn’t have to take pills. Still can’t say my old name. Douglas. Doug! Darn...

*out of character mode reactivated*

Gotta love fanfictional demigods.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Uh, other than Thomas (who's a Camel) I don't think anyone knows Steward's a Badger.
D-Rock wrote:I don't think Keene was present for Stewards change.
I know he wasn't there, but he did say that the police were en route. There would have been a thing when they arrive and Steward isn't there, and unless Thomas also checked out before then I don't see him having a reason not to relate what happened.

Edit: On further thought I suppose it's possible that Steward just ran off with it before anyone could stop him.
Last edited by Bandit1990 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Champion Wallace wrote:I don't quite understand the second panel; is he saying his financial problems disappeared (he somehow got more money for this|good thing), his legal support disappeared (his lawyers quit|bad thing), and Steward disappeared (no-one but Keene and Thomas recognize him as a badger|looks bad to public, but good for Keene).
I read it as the first option. Steward, while he was handling their money, made it seem like the legal fight was a lot more financially difficult than it actually is. probably by laundering money so he got rich.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bandit1990 wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Uh, other than Thomas (who's a Camel) I don't think anyone knows Steward's a Badger.
D-Rock wrote:I don't think Keene was present for Stewards change.
I know he wasn't there, but he did say that the police were en route. There would have been a thing when they arrive and Steward isn't there, and unless Thomas also checked out before then I don't see him having a reason not to relate what happened.
Right. The Police are going to believe Mr Steward - a Human - is suddenly a Badger. Claiming that would get Keene and Thomas delivered to the animal psychiatrist in a straitjacket and muzzle. And that's if Thomas didn't just get Badger Stew out of there beforehand.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I didn't really mean to suggest that they tell the police that, (although elements of the BGPD are aware of the existence of magic, but that's irrelevant), I was mainly stating that as a way that Keene could be made aware of Stewards condition.

Douglas Collier

Badger Stew - sounds gamey. :P
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bandit1990 wrote:I didn't really mean to suggest that they tell the police that, (although elements of the BGPD are aware of the existence of magic, but that's irrelevant), I was mainly stating that as a way that Keene could be made aware of Stewards condition.
Agreed but remember, if you've not seen it on screen, it probably hasn't happened. Keene hasn't seen Badger Stew on screen.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Wow, that treehouse is going to be mighty crowded now. First Kari and now Steward? Mind you, given that Kari was the architect, perhaps it expands magically once you get inside it.

Gotta say, Steward looked pretty anonymous as a human, but he's great as a badger. I like the look on his face; a bit enigmatic. Part embarrassment, part 'oh OK, this might not be so bad after all...'
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well it should be interesting to see how Lana handels this. It will give her more to do in the comic overall. I think she is the one with the least apperances so far.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Kari AND Cory are going to have access to that coin!? Uh, oh...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Champion Wallace

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:I didn't really mean to suggest that they tell the police that, (although elements of the BGPD are aware of the existence of magic, but that's irrelevant), I was mainly stating that as a way that Keene could be made aware of Stewards condition.
Agreed but remember, if you've not seen it on screen, it probably hasn't happened. Keene hasn't seen Badger Stew on screen.
In my opinion, even if Keene had walked far enough away not to see the transformation, he couldn't go far enough away not to hear the exclamation along the lines of "AHHH! WHY AM I A BADGER! WHAT JUST HAPPENED!". Even if he was silent and he tried to escape he would need to get past the wolf security. Even if they don't recognize him as Steward, I still think they would try to stop a suspicious looking badger they've never seen before. Remember, this comic doesn't show everything onscreen.
As for my original statement, I now think "Equal Chance Program and Associated Legal Support" is the full title for the set-up where the wolfs and king live like humans, as that makes more sense then Keene losing legal support recently. I guess the financial issues disappeared because Steward was limiting the amount of money Keene could spend, but now he can't. I think the "mysteriously" is there because even though Keene knows what happened to Steward, he can't say it without being labeled as crazy.
IceKitsune wrote:Well it should be interesting to see how Lana handels this. It will give her more to do in the comic overall. I think she is the one with the least apperances so far.
Simon has the least comic apperenses so far clocking in at 8.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
In my opinion, even if Keene had walked far enough away not to see the transformation, he couldn't go far enough away not to hear the exclamation along the lines of "AHHH! WHY AM I A BADGER! WHAT JUST HAPPENED!". Even if he was silent and he tried to escape he would need to get past the wolf security. Even if they don't recognize him as Steward, I still think they would try to stop a suspicious looking badger they've never seen before. Remember, this comic doesn't show everything onscreen.
As for my original statement, I now think "Equal Chance Program and Associated Legal Support" is the full title for the set-up where the wolfs and king live like humans, as that makes more sense then Keene losing legal support recently. I guess the financial issues disappeared because Steward was limiting the amount of money Keene could spend, but now he can't. I think the "mysteriously" is there because even though Keene knows what happened to Steward, he can't say it without being labeled as crazy.
IceKitsune wrote:Well it should be interesting to see how Lana handels this. It will give her more to do in the comic overall. I think she is the one with the least apperances so far.
Simon has the least comic apperenses so far clocking in at 8.
Wow she has way more apperances than I though she did
Champion Wallace

It must be hard to come up with unique names for each strip when you've already used 1534 strip names; this is the third strip to be called "The More Things Change".
Dragon Furry

Post by Dragon Furry »

I was wondering something about the curse coins. If they transform humans into feral forms. Seems rather random what the transformation is or maybe is linked to how the character behaviour is.
But my main thought about those coins is, what happens if a feral takes hold of them. Would they be transformed to, or is the curse only set to target humans?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Pete stated that the curse was only activated by human hands.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I was just thinking that. But badgers are notorious for having bad eyesight so it does make sense. Lucky his old prescription still works!

And he still has that curséd coin, how convenient. He's not giving it to Jessica is he? I was sure he was going to use it in some dastardly shenanigans.

Also, Rick, +1 for the call-out in the alt text.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Agreed but remember, if you've not seen it on screen, it probably hasn't happened. Keene hasn't seen Badger Stew on screen.
Isn't that the same logic that was used to argue tarot's horrible person status a dozen pages ago, given we only ever seem to see her at her worst lately?

I thought that got thrown out.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Agreed but remember, if you've not seen it on screen, it probably hasn't happened. Keene hasn't seen Badger Stew on screen.
Isn't that the same logic that was used to argue tarot's horrible person status a dozen pages ago, given we only ever seem to see her at her worst lately?

Because we saw her reconcile a bit with Kitsune.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh,sweet! Lana is an awesome choice! :D

... Unless she starts buying islands and renaming them "Hello Kitty Island Adventure... for real" =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Keene and Breel...
Thomas and Sofia...

... We ought to have fanfics guys.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Argent wrote:Also, Rick, +1 for the call-out in the alt text.
Call out? I didn't get it.

TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Imagine for a second that Duke was actually who Keene was talking about... That wouldn't end too well.
Allons-y
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

anhedral wrote:... Mind you, given that Kari was the architect, perhaps it expands magically once you get inside it....
So, it's bigger on the inside?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

Bandit1990 wrote:
Argent wrote:Also, Rick, +1 for the call-out in the alt text.
Call out? I didn't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I

Fifteen year old meme from before "dank" was a thing.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Lana is in charge?
I love the idea, maybe it will become a thing. Each ferret gets it's turn to fight for the equality of humans and animals and in the end they reach their goal by working together.
It could give each of them a certain amount of focus, so I love that idea :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, at any rate, we can feel reassured that the ferrets are not abandoning the Equality cause....
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's good you realized it, Keene, and I hope there's someone else who really wants to take your part in this struggle. :) Of course, your finances got suddenly better with Steward transformed as a badger. It has been the best solution to that problem. :D So, your sister Lana is going to be your best heir? I don't see much change. :P Should be a good choice between your siblings, though, since you really want to use that scourge called nepotism. ;) Eheh, Duke is always so playful. :D Nice personal phone. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, Ces, I got my morning chuckle out of Duke's little "Happy Phone." Fisher-Price rocks!
Last edited by NHWestoN on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Buster wrote:

Because we saw her reconcile a bit with Kitsune.
no i mean i thought use of that kind of logic got thrown out.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Man, I just know that coin is going to come back to bite someone in the tail at some point. Mark my words we have not seen the last of it. It's too potentially dangerous to ignore.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

leinglo wrote:Man, I just know that coin is going to come back to bite someone in the tail at some point. Mark my words we have not seen the last of it. It's too potentially dangerous to ignore.
Yes, but we probably won't see it for several years.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...