What's your favorite HP! artstyle?

Discuss the comic here
Gbr23

What's your favorite HP! artstyle?

Post by Gbr23 »

First I wanna start with a disclaimer, more than an opinion I think it's a fact that right now's is the best artstyle Housepets! have ever had. Rick is at the top of his game and the art we are getting in the strips is pretty pretty good.

With that said, do you have any particular era of HP! which artstyle you hold close to your heart?

I'll start saying that I have 3 favorites:

1- 2012 style: This is special to me because it was when I discovered HP, specifically in this strip. I love the character designs, although the backgrounds were not the best comparing them to now's, I like this style so much I bought some originals from this era. I mean, they look so cute.

2- The introduction of HP 3.0: the "3.0 style" was first introduced with this strip, that one and the one that followed have this unique style of really thick strokes that I absolutely love and with this style the 4 panel strips were a thing of the past, Rick started playing with panels a whole world of possibilities was available. Also the non-digital backgrounds looked gorgeous. Then the style evolved to one with thinner strokes, but those 2 strips have a special place in my memory.

3- 2015-16: The 3.0 style evolved with time, its beautiful. Designs, backgrounds, everything. Arcs like HP 5000BC, Save the Date, Rabbit's Foot, this was a very inspiring style for me. I really like it.

So, those are mine, which are yours?
Once again, I believe that the current full-digital style is the best one we've had so far. Rick is an amazing artist.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: What's your favorite HP! artstyle?

Post by Gameb18oy »

I think 2012 might be my fave, though I’m puzzled why you didn’t bring up the stuff before then just for comparison’s sake. It’s fun to see how much the comic improved looking at the black and white comics (it’s ironic that Fox is one original cat-haters considering he looked like one in his original design) and the first few color comics which were basically the same shapes, but now it’s not just collars helping us tell everyone apart
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'd like to think that Fox evolved after getting kidnapped, falling in love with Sasha and meeting King and becoming friends with him and ditching the loser known as Bino.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I like the ones where the eyes were colored. ^^
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

My Favorite Art Style Is How They Look In The A Sinister Shadow Story Arc
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if the current designs had the older style eyes, before the irises started disappearing and the pupils got steadily smaller, it'd basically be perfect.
the constant reduction in detail to the eyes is pretymuch my biggest gripe with every version of the art style after the origional.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Buster....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its like Rick has a problem doing detailed eyes so he tries to minimize it over a period of time.
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

Love the new art style it's really cute. Being honest i used to prefer the older art styles but after i got over the nostalgia i started realizing the new one appeals so much more to me. I might be a little biased though because I generally do not like Disney/classic furry art style very much
My favorite pre-current art style though is 2012's just because of nostalgia honestly
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The new designs are great, though I do sometimes prefer the previous color palettes. I love vibrancy, and yeah, miss the previous style in the eyes. I'll admit, though, some of the characters work with the new palettes.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Honestly if somebody didn't point it out to me, I wouldn't have had a clue. That is how oblivious I am.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I hate to have the standard opinion, but I believe HP's art style has continuously improved and thus what we have today is the best yet. I like the inclusion of the background in most panels nowadays.

Though the colors may not be as vibrant as in the past, I prefer realistic anatomy/colors over cartoon-y stuff.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Yeah, I'd say the artstyle has generally improved over time. I think c.2016 had the best detail and nicest colours.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The latest strip submission makes it possible to compare the Barn Cats in Rick's newest style with how they appeared back in his first year of drawingHousepets!. In their first appearance (and you have to take it in context), they look more sharply edged, more sly and seductive. There's and angularity to their depiction that gives them a slightly sinister aspect. In today's (26 Jan 2019), they look more relax and softer - which fits both the new style and "Kitten Max" drawing out their maternal instincts. If Rick develops them more, the style contrasts will likely sharpen. Interesting.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna say it might be because they are older when they meet Rufus's cousins and probably know what they like and can very easily take advantage over naive pets. Here it seems like they have just been starting out so they are more softer.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

to be honest, I like the 2018-2019 artstyle, it is very detailed in terms of characters
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Probably the classic one.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is that why you have a picture of classic art style Peanut as your avatar? :3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I honestly prefer the ones we have now, though the older looks were definitely pretty sweet in their own rights. x3

I love the details to the small features that the pets have in regards to their tummies, their hips and their facial expressions in general.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Jacy

Post by Jacy »

I really like the style in
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... oing-down/
because of the clear lines and the coloring. It's nice and clear and vivid.

I also really like the style in
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ht-gleams/
for being so clear and also very detailed.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Probably the one we have now; I think it started looking like that around here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ncy-party/
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

This may sound weird, but I like it when Rick pics up a style where the irises are bigger and more noticeable. It’s a little thing that shouldn’t add that much, but it’s always an appreciated touch