Housepets! Voice Acting

Discuss the comic here
Anthroguy101

Housepets! Voice Acting

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Whenever we read a comic, there is one thing that seems different to all of us: voice. Housepets! is a comic that as of present has no media other than what is posted on the site. Because of this, we all think differently of how the characters sound. I am curious as to how you think the characters sound every time you view the comic.

The following is based on my opinion. If you don't know some of the actors, please take the time to look them up:

Peanut: Sounds like a small, immature 10-year-old boy that could be done by a female. Since he is not mature, his voice would be more feminine than Grape's. This became clear to me when he shouted "Graaaaaaaaaape!"

Grape: I've commented on this before under a different name in an earlier comic, and got a lot of heat for it (I can't find it right now, but I'd be happy if someone else pulled it up). However, my mind has not changed one bit: Grape has a scratchy voice similar to Streaky the Supercat, performed by Brian Drummond. I think a scratchy voice sounds appropriate for a constantly-annoyed cat that's always complaining. She's also more mature and intelligent, which would give her a lower voice.

Bino: Generic 4th-grade bully voice, could also be played by female. Try thinking of TV shows where children daringly ask, "Wanna bet?" Let that sink in a little, you'll know what I mean. His higher-pitched voice makes him look less tough than Fido, since, well, he is.

Fido: Oh, of course he's getting a male voice actor. An authoritative one at that. His voice is almost certainly more masculine and lower-pitched than Bino. If I have to define this by actor, then I guess Will Smith?

Joey: Amy Palant would be the perfect voice for this oddball.

That oddly-colored canine on that farm somewhere: Michael J. Fox (no matter how old he is, he'll always have the same voice)

Sabrina: Any college girl will do.

Maxwell: Steven Weber (Charlie Barkin in the TV series)

Sasha and Daisy: Paris Hilton, plain and simple.

Rex: Patrick Warburton

Tiger: Honestly, I haven't formed an opinion because I haven't seen him a lot, so I'll just say Rick Griffin and be done with it.

Marvin: Rick Griffin again.

Zach: The voice must sound nervous and shy. There are plenty of furries like that who will fit the bill.

The guy who speaks in Limericks: Gilbert Gottfried

Pete: Piers Morgan

Joel/King: Jason Griffith (Shadow dialect)

Fox: He still seems like another young character with a high-pitched voice, though not as high-pitches as Peanut or Bino.

So, those are my candidates, but the main thing I want to know from this thread is your opinion. When you view the comic, what do you think the characters sound like? Have fun!
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teh Brawler

Re: Housepets! Voice Acting

Post by Teh Brawler »

BlueArmy wrote:Grape: I've commented on this before under a different name in an earlier comic, and got a lot of heat for it (I can't find it right now, but I'd be happy if someone else pulled it up). However, my mind has not changed one bit: Grape has a scratchy voice similar to Streaky the Supercat, performed by Brian Drummond. I think a scratchy voice sounds appropriate for a constantly-annoyed cat that's always complaining. She's also more mature and intelligent, which would give her a lower voice.
You know what's funny about this, is that it would support the confusion about Grape's gender in the first view comics. I mean, come on, you hear a voice like that, and the first thing you're gonna think is, "MALE". :lol:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

when i picture the cast, i picture them all being done with one voice in the comic world.

It's the same way as how i pictured it with Grape, which made it the more humorous.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

i imagine grape having a voice like Morgan Webb... yeah bad choice. I also image Peanut to sound like whoever does Tails in Sonic X, but slightly deeper.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
valerio

Post by valerio »

well, if I had to attach an actor to a character, I surely would choose

David 'Dr. McKay' (Stargate Atlantis) Hewlett for King
Danny 'Steven Hyde' (That '70s Show) Masterson for Fox
Tracey 'Dr. Tracey Clark' (Ally McBeal) Ullman for Sasha
Jason 'Ronon Dex' (Stargate Atlantis) Momoa for Rex
Michael 'Daniel Jackson' (Stargate SG-1) Shanks for Fido
Sarah 'Elliot Reid' (Scrubs) Chalke for Sabrina
Judy 'Carla Espinosa' (Scrubs) Reies for Tarot
Donald 'Chris Turk' (Scrubs) Faison for Max
Zach 'J.D.' (Scrubs) Braff for Zack
Neil 'The Janitor' (Scrubs) Flynn for Tiger
Wilmer 'Fez' (That 70s Show) Valderrama for Spo
Topher 'Eric Forman' (That 70s Show) Grace for Bino
Eliza 'Denise Mahoney' (Scrubs) Coupe for Grape
Chris 'Scrat' (Ice Age) Wedge for Peanut
Ray 'Titus Pullo' (Rome) Stevenson for Pete
Ken 'Bob Kelso' (Scrubs) Jenkins for Pete 'Gaspar'
Richard 'James Ellison' (Terminator: TSCC) T. Jones for Miles
Christa 'Jordan Sullivan' (Scrubs) Miller for Lucretia
Sonal 'Sunny Day' (Scrubs) Shah for Daisy

I'll think about the rest and update it in this post :?
Last edited by valerio on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
2MKc

Post by 2MKc »

I was thinking that Bino, Fido and Joey will be played by one actor.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:i imagine grape having a voice like Morgan Webb... yeah bad choice. I also image Peanut to sound like whoever does Tails in Sonic X, but slightly deeper.
That would be Amy Palant.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that I did not make this thread to argue, but simply to get your perspectives. You can joke about people's decisions, but please don't tell others how to think.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I totally imagine all the characters sounding like me because (revealing information) I'm a voice actor. *laughs* Wouldn't be the first time I've played lots or more characters at once. x3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Interesting, I was actually wondering about how their voices may sound too, questioning some people on IRC about this for their opinion. But it's hard for me to imagine their voices, since when I read the comic, there's actually no voice. It's funny when you think about it, they're speaking and yet, they're voiceless :D
But I'm interested how Rick Griffin alone imagines their voices, since he created these characters and he's constantly carrying them inside his head, so he should know the best, how they're supposed to sound. However, some of these voices you've written actually seem to fit, although it's hard to tell, until you hear that character (pet) really speaking with that voice.
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Peanut is Woody Allen

seriously

EDIT: Maxwell is Billy West's Zapp Brannigan voice
Last edited by machchunk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Peanut: Sounds like a small, immature 10-year-old boy that could be done by a female. Since he is not mature, his voice would be more feminine than Grape's. This became clear to me when he shouted "Graaaaaaaaaape!"

Grape: I've commented on this before under a different name in an earlier comic, and got a lot of heat for it (I can't find it right now, but I'd be happy if someone else pulled it up). However, my mind has not changed one bit: Grape has a scratchy voice similar to Streaky the Supercat, performed by Brian Drummond. I think a scratchy voice sounds appropriate for a constantly-annoyed cat that's always complaining. She's also more mature and intelligent, which would give her a lower voice.
Never. Again. Dis. The. Sandwiches.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/02/0 ... rojecting/
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

flower power, I had a long reply to this and it died!

Most people in reality don't sound like famous people! That is to say, if we were to restrict our interpretations to people that other people would know, we'd have a small pool of candidates.

I listed my interpretations here even though nobody here would know them, except a select few that people did know that I'll say:
Earl = Rick
Marvin = Buck (no, really)
Joey for me was kind of... well, he sounds nothing like him, but I kind of use Buck's voice as a mental template and change it up (a lot) to achieve Joey's voice. Same goes for Zach and Tiger.
For Fido, I used Rick as a template voice.

...Oh, and Fox sounds like my best friend! You guys don't have to know him, it's just that he sounds exactly like my best friend. This means that if you were ever to hear Fox how I imagine him you'd say he has an Australian accent!
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

So the only two people voicing Ebly's Housepets! are Rick and Buck
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sinder wrote:So the only two people voicing Ebly's Housepets! are Rick and Buck
"except a select few that people did know that I'll say"

and then i kind of was like 'oh hey and fox sounds like my best friend'
If you had seen the post before internet killed it, it was a whole lot longer and has more people that I know in reality and thus none of you know!
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Ebly wrote:If you had seen the post before internet killed it, it was a whole lot longer
Well, I for example, to prevent losing any post anywhere, press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard, before sending it (even even when I'm writing it, in case of system/webbrowser crash ((which actually never happened to me, but I'm a little bit paranoid about this) since I use Clipboard Recorder, which extends system clipboard to be able to contain around 100 items, instead of one and also saves these records to the disk, in case of crash/reboot/shutdown) or accidental deletion, so in such case, I can just retrieve it from the (extended) clipboard.

There's also an addon for Firefox and Internet Explorer (I don't know about others), which automatically saves text from all forms on the webpage to prevent loosing it, but I stopped using it in Firefox, because after a while it slowed it down a lot. And when I mean a lot, it means so much, that it because unusable.

Also, if you press the back button when you navigate elsewhere, it should load the previous page with form and text you've written to it before navigating elsewhere (even to "Page could not be loaded" page because of internet connection problems), but I would not rather rely on that, since it does not work always, does not save all text forms and does not prevent data loss because of crash/shutdown/closing webbrowser.

Anyway, I think it would be better to actually post a sample of voice of each person, who might sound like certain pet. Some of them (famous ones) are possible to search on the Youtube for example, but they're often speaking with normal voice, while you might mean their voice from some cartoon for example, where they usually change their voice somehow, so I can't possibly imagine what person do you mean.

This also makes me think - what part of the soundwave makes the voice characteristic? All words sound similar, no matter who is saying them and thus, their basic shape (as a soundwave) is the same, but yet, there is wide variety of voices, each one sounding completely different. What's the difference between their soundwave shapes and can it be modified using some algorithm? Ok, I rather stop thinking aloud now. *Goes searching for answer on the internet and analyzing some soundwaves himself*
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

I think Grape would have the voice of Mandy off of "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy".
Peanut I have no clue. I imagine him feminine, but I can't think of any person to fit his voice.
Maxwell would be Randall Graves from Clerks.
I have no clue for Bino.
Fido I have no clue.
Joey would be the dude who played Chowder. Like, the 10 year old kid.
Rex would be Mr.T

And haven't really thought of the others.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Slippy wrote:Peanut I have no clue. I imagine him feminine, but I can't think of any person to fit his voice.
What about the lady that played Ash for the first eight seasons of Pokemon?
Last edited by Teh Brawler on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

I never imagined the cast's voices as being like any specific person, but just for fun I randomly selected a bunch of actors whose voices I shall henceforth attribute to each character:

Peanut=Lawrence Fishburne
Grape=Signourey Weaver
Fido=Nicholas Cage
Bino=Brad Pitt
Joey=Shia LaBeouf
Maxwell=George Clooney
Pete=Robert Downey Jr.
King=Kevin Smith
Sabrina=Sandra Bullock
Sasha=Kiera Knightly
Tarot=Emma Watson
Daisy=Julia Roberts
The Bigglesworths=All Harrison Ford
Fox=Sean Connery
More as they occur to me.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Peanut would be Zach Tyler Eisen,the dude that plays Aang
Grape would be Carolyn Lawrence or Susanne Blakeslee
Fido would be ....
Bino would be ....
Joey would be Mary Bergman
Sabrina would be Megan Cavanagh
Rex would be some really deep voiced dude
Sasha and Daisy would be Jordan Puryear or something
Those are my best guesses, and they probably suck :D
Last edited by The Game on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

I usually don't give characters voices based on personality types, more how they look or how they talk, or anything that would affect how they talk. Like if a character seemed fast and hyper to me they'd be a kinda fast talker in my mind, or if they were muscly/big looking I'd give them a deeper voice.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

okay, here's how i see it-

Grape- meg from family guy crossed with wanda from the fairly odd parents
Peanut- Eric Chase Anderson crossed with Jason Schwartzman and John Hurt minus the british accent
Joey- my crazy yet lovable goofball friend, whose voice is generally high pitched and energetic
i could think of more but i've got to go-

edit
incase you don't know, eric chase anderson and jason schwartsmon are the two kids in fantastic mr. fox and John hurt- well, lets see if these ring a bell "The flies in my head! They keep buzzing!" or "Five fingers... I see five, just make the pain stop!" okay, this you should get: he's the guy who the thing in the origonal alien movie burst out of. Ring a bell now?

edit
sorry, i originally wrote william hurt :oops:
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
valerio

Post by valerio »

I completed the main cast, save for the Milton ferrets and Miles' cubs
arcict

Post by arcict »

all these actors' and actresses' names and I haven't a clue who most of them are. Seriously, I don't. I don't remember the actors names most of the time...

Now, if you gave the the character's names in a film that I'd seen then I'd know EXACTLY what you're talking about. It's odd, I can't remember most actors names but if I hear them once and then hear them again elsewhere, even if I don't see them, I can often pick out and say "oh yeay, that guy did this character on such and such"

speaking of which, either my ears are wrong or the voice actor that did King Acorn in the old Sonic Sat AM series also played as The Cardinal in the movie "The Three Muskateers", he played in a few other roles but I can't think of them right now, too tired.

I just had a... creepy... thought.

Peanut with the voice of Skippy Squirrel, and Grape with the voice of Slappy.

ok, Peanut maybe, but only maybe, Grape, nu uh, nope, no way. maybe from the same voice actor, but not the same "old and gray" style and roughness.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Now, if you gave the the character's names in a film that I'd seen then I'd know EXACTLY what you're talking about. It's odd, I can't remember most actors names but if I hear them once and then hear them again elsewhere, even if I don't see them, I can often pick out and say "oh yeay, that guy did this character on such and such"
Done!
Sketcherofstuff

what about my ideas for grape and peanut? Does any one agree?
Here Comes The Fuzz
valerio

Post by valerio »

I have problems with figuring 'crossed' voices. So I can't tell for sure- :?
Sketcherofstuff

ya, i was just trying to find the perfict mixture of voice types to balance it out. (john hurt added the high pitched aspect)
Here Comes The Fuzz
MC_Hollis

Post by MC_Hollis »

I think the guy who did Brock [Samsom], and Kronk would best fit Rex. and the woman who voice Jerry on the first Tom and Jerry Movie would do a nice Spo.
Jack

Post by Jack »

omg. i really can't think of how to explain how they sound to me so i will just say this:

אני לא יודע איך להסביר

that is all. (i speak hebrew cos i live in israel)
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I know it's hard to give a direct translation for Hebrew, but can someone at least give a vague meaning of that? :V
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

I think it translates out to: "I do not know how to explain it"
Kinda redundant huh?
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Jack

Post by Jack »

he is right! now translate this:
... nah im just kidding, lets not spam this.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I should try to pick up Hebrew again.

Yaaay I was reading Hebrew at, like, a year 4 native level when I was in year 3, but I've forgotten absolutely every single ounce of it. No joke. I can't honestly consider it a language I know anymore. :/

An interesting thought that this gave me was perhaps a Housepets! Radio project, maybe? If this is supported I will make the topic and actually try to make this work.
Icharus

Post by Icharus »

Was just reading some earlier strips when I came to the 12/21 double-strip from last Christmas, and I've figured out some voices myself.
Fox should be a young Harrison Ford. Like, pre- Raiders of the Lost Ark young.
Bino should be a cross between Ben Stiller's regular voice and Ben Stiller's 'White Goodman'(Dodgeball) voice.
Yeah, as young as I'm sure the characters actually are, I've never been able to imaginate them with kiddie voices.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ebly wrote:I should try to pick up Hebrew again.

Yaaay I was reading Hebrew at, like, a year 4 native level when I was in year 3, but I've forgotten absolutely every single ounce of it. No joke. I can't honestly consider it a language I know anymore. :/

An interesting thought that this gave me was perhaps a Housepets! Radio project, maybe? If this is supported I will make the topic and actually try to make this work.
what does a radio project mean?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Jack wrote:

Well, since posting that I realised that generally a radio project implies (obviously) radio. Which would not actually be involved. So not so much a radio project.

More so I was thinking of a Housepets podcast, or a Housepets for-the-blind, or any number of other ways to say it.

Put it this way. Housepets as a comic is a visual media. It is drawn, and most of the 'description' in it comes from what you see. To an extent, it is also written like a book and plotted out, and one 'reads' a comic, but generally a comic is a visual media.

What I would propose is an aural media. That is, the setting, interaction - it's all through sounds and voices. You would be able to listen to Housepets instead of just read it. The archives would be performed in such a fashion, and then we would be able to do more as new comics come out.

In honesty, I'm not thinking "oh we need this like mary needs her little lamb", it's more "that would be a whole lot of fun if people got into it". A hobbyist thing rather than a serious media. Either way, the idea still stands.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ebly wrote:
Jack wrote:

Well, since posting that I realised that generally a radio project implies (obviously) radio. Which would not actually be involved. So not so much a radio project.

More so I was thinking of a Housepets podcast, or a Housepets for-the-blind, or any number of other ways to say it.

Put it this way. Housepets as a comic is a visual media. It is drawn, and most of the 'description' in it comes from what you see. To an extent, it is also written like a book and plotted out, and one 'reads' a comic, but generally a comic is a visual media.

What I would propose is an aural media. That is, the setting, interaction - it's all through sounds and voices. You would be able to listen to Housepets instead of just read it. The archives would be performed in such a fashion, and then we would be able to do more as new comics come out.

In honesty, I'm not thinking "oh we need this like mary needs her little lamb", it's more "that would be a whole lot of fun if people got into it". A hobbyist thing rather than a serious media. Either way, the idea still stands.
hmm... i see. interesting.
>.>
<.<
i call dibs on peanuts voice!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Jack wrote:
Ebly wrote: Well, since posting that I realised that generally a radio project implies (obviously) radio. Which would not actually be involved. So not so much a radio project.

>.>
<.<
If such a thing actually happens I think auditions would be in order! *Giggles*
Sketcherofstuff

Icharus wrote:Was just reading some earlier strips when I came to the 12/21 double-strip from last Christmas, and I've figured out some voices myself.
Fox should be a young Harrison Ford. Like, pre- Raiders of the Lost Ark young.
Bino should be a cross between Ben Stiller's regular voice and Ben Stiller's 'White Goodman'(Dodgeball) voice.
Yeah, as young as I'm sure the characters actually are, I've never been able to imaginate them with kiddie voices.
you know what- I completely agree.
Here Comes The Fuzz
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ebly wrote:
Jack wrote:
Ebly wrote: Well, since posting that I realised that generally a radio project implies (obviously) radio. Which would not actually be involved. So not so much a radio project.

>.>
<.<
If such a thing actually happens I think auditions would be in order! *Giggles*
what? doesn't dibs mean anything? if playground rules don't apply this is anarchy!