Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
So what happened to these guys? 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 45
Post So what happened to these guys?
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/07/0 ... -outdoors/

I was looking forward to seeing them later in the comic. :/


Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 4141
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Naturally, still hanging out at that fence. =3


Attachments:
cats.png
cats.png [ 31.84 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image
Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile
is actually Rick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 8191
Images: 0
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Ya know, there's really not a compelling reason to start a thread asking what happened to every character we run across. If they haven't been featured again, it's because they weren't necessary to the plot. Housepets! has a large cast and there's no way each character can be featured in every arc. Some people are even upset when one of the focus characters is out for a single arc. You're welcome to imagine whatever adventures you wish them to have off screen and, perhaps, write some fan fiction or draw a piece of fan art.

_________________
Dissension doesn't exist.


Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15817
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Housepets! has like a million characters. They can't all be in the spotlight!

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am
Posts: 401
Images: 1
Location: Southern Oregon
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Sleet wrote:
Housepets! has like a million characters. They can't all be in the spotlight!



Which is why having to many characters in a story can get a bit overwhelming. Tracking so many characters can be difficult. As Dissension said, make a bit of fan art. Perhaps you may start something, you never know =).

_________________
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.


Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:30 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm
Posts: 740
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
I was always curious as to who the OtherShep that's not Ralph here in Panel 1 is. http://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/05/2 ... nd-humans/


Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:05 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm
Posts: 1551
Location: Skulking in Borehamwood, England
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Well you could include all the characters, but it would have to be a blizzard and painfully long arc to do it.

_________________
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at Kyuubi.Kitsune00@gmail.com and add me on Google+


Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:14 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 45
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
...

You guys are all missing the point. Yes, I could write a fanfic about them (though I'm not exactly inclined to that sort of thing), but all that aside, I asked the question because they were introduced fairly soon into the comic, and then totally disappeared. I understand that not all characters can be included in the story, however, I figured it to be quite an obvious choice. I mean, stray animals, maybe?

Thanks, though.


Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 am
Posts: 595
Location: Texas
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
It's possible that they were just gag characters that were not entirely meant to become full characters.

_________________
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.

Check out my DeviantART if you'd like: http://d-rock92.deviantart.com/


Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Profile
is actually Rick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 8191
Images: 0
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Morris wrote:
...

You guys are all missing the point. Yes, I could write a fanfic about them (though I'm not exactly inclined to that sort of thing), but all that aside, I asked the question because they were introduced fairly soon into the comic, and then totally disappeared. I understand that not all characters can be included in the story, however, I figured it to be quite an obvious choice. I mean, stray animals, maybe?

Thanks, though.

I don't believe any point was missed. Even early on, minor characters can be minor characters.

_________________
Dissension doesn't exist.


Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am
Posts: 401
Images: 1
Location: Southern Oregon
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Dissension wrote:
Morris wrote:
...

You guys are all missing the point. Yes, I could write a fanfic about them (though I'm not exactly inclined to that sort of thing), but all that aside, I asked the question because they were introduced fairly soon into the comic, and then totally disappeared. I understand that not all characters can be included in the story, however, I figured it to be quite an obvious choice. I mean, stray animals, maybe?

Thanks, though.

I don't believe any point was missed. Even early on, minor characters can be minor characters.



You have your main protagonist(s) and your main antagonist(s) in any given story. You also have supporting characters and roles. Some supporting characters are used through out the story, while some are left behind. It's how it works. You can't follow everyone one you meet in a story. On top of that, this was more towards the beginning of this very lengthy comic. Some ideas were used while some weren't. That's the beauty of being a writer.

_________________
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.


Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:15 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Tatsuo wrote:
You have your main protagonist(s) and your main antagonist(s)


There are antagonists in housepets and I didn't knew it? :?

And just because they appeared in the beggining of the comic it doesn't mean they should be main characters and viceversa. If you analyze carefully you'll see that a lot of characters were left aside throught the whole comic, some of them much more recently (like Karo, Colleen, Thomas, Celia, Terrance, some of the ferrets, etc). Some characters were losing protagonism (such as Peanut and Bino); others appeared in the middle of the comic and became main characters immediately (like King and Tarot). Even now, you can see some characters who didn't had any transcendence and just in a snap they were placed in the spotlight (an example of this would be Bailey and the wolf pack).
The thing is that this comic is a bit random, and you can never tell who will be the main characters of the next arc because that's how its storyline evolves.

_________________
ImageImage


Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 115
Images: 2
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
If Rick ever decides to name them they can be Rosen-cats and Gil-purr-stein. :)


Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am
Posts: 401
Images: 1
Location: Southern Oregon
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Gren wrote:
There are antagonists in housepets and I didn't knew it? :?


Well how would you define our big friend, Pete the Gryphon. Right now he's going after King, but that can always change.


Gren wrote:
The thing is that this comic is a bit random, and you can never tell who will be the main characters of the next arc because that's how its storyline evolves.



Exactly. You could compare this to something like superman, batman, or spiderman. Each episode is different from the last. How will our hero(s) overcome evil this time? New characters are introduced, while others defeated. Much like Housepets, each arc is a new plot of drama and laughter. What will happen to our favorite characters this time? What mayhem will ensue? I'd hate to be the one to say this, but as with every single comic out there, no matter how long it may seem, there is an ending written. Which means, through out each arc we are given, the plot thickens as a whole as we come closer to our destination. Which comes to my point, even some of our most favored characters may be left behind before that faithful day, the end, comes.

But there is also good news, new characters can made and new relationships can happen.

_________________
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.


Last edited by Tatsuo on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Tatsuo wrote:
Exactly. You could compare this to something like superman, batman, or spiderman...


Yeah but the thing is that their main characters are immovable. The story will continue but always will be centered in the same character. In housepets you'd never know who will be the lucky one to protagonize the next arc.

_________________
ImageImage


Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am
Posts: 401
Images: 1
Location: Southern Oregon
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Gren wrote:
Tatsuo wrote:
Exactly. You could compare this to something like superman, batman, or spiderman...


Yeah but the thing is that their main characters are immovable. The story will continue but always will be centered in the same character. In housepets you'd never know who will be the lucky one to protagonize the next arc.



Which is awesome I'll add. Always changing it up.

_________________
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.


Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Tatsuo wrote:
Which is awesome I'll add. Always changing it up.


Yeah, but that's also a double-edged sword. It's amusing to see the adventures of every character but the fans have their preferences and surely will want to see their favorites more often.

Tatsuo wrote:
Well how would you define our big friend, Pete the Gryphon. Right now he's going after King, but that can always change.


I wouldn't define him that way, especially because he wants to ally with King. Besides you can also invert the roles and say Pete is the protagonist and King the antagonist (after all, he wasn't such a good person at first. Even now I wouldn't define him as a role model.)

_________________
ImageImage


Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Profile
Puppy Wrangler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 pm
Posts: 6327
Location: Florida
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
I like Journal comics myself, and I think of this comic kind of like a roving reality show around an entire neighborhood. Do I have to make sense? No, not at all... Do I have to explain that? Absolutely not, though I probably should. In fact, I think I will stop here and let my incoherence explain everything.

_________________
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Image


Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 45
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Still missing the point. But you guys like missing the point, so I won't hold it against you.


Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Morris wrote:
Still missing the point. But you guys like missing the point, so I won't hold it against you.


Then maybe you should be more specific about your point, because you only said "I was looking forward to seeing them later in the comic" and I think everything was explained clearly enough.
Just because you like them doesn't mean they have to be main characters. I mean, there's a lot of characters who were left aside that I would like to see again (and often), but that decision depends on the author.

_________________
ImageImage


Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1618
Post Re: So what happened to these guys?
Take notes folks, this is how you make huge freaking mountains out of molehills. Mountains that no being could ever scale and live to see the top, their peaks are vast and reach highs unknown to us mortals. I tell you what, this post is something really, really special.


Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.