Grape's personality

Discuss the comic here
Morris

Grape's personality

Post by Morris »

I know that Peanut's personality hasn't changed much, but it feels like -right after- Grape goes out with Max, she becomes very girly and acts more thoughtful. I mean, she has her (violent) moments along in the series, but it feels kind of contrived. Maybe this personality change suits her better? I don't know, and I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, I just thought it would be interesting to bring up, as a fan.

I realized it while looking back at this.

--> https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/08/ ... a-nowhere/

She gets a much softer personality later, much less like an "older brother figure" which she seemed like... up until we found out she was a girl. But she retained that older sibling figure further into the story.

Actually now that I look back, Peanut was more perceptive back then as well. At least it's not like blatant Flanderization... or deFlanderization, though. Still enjoy it.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Grape's personality

Post by copper »

That is still one of my favorite arcs to date, heh. I think it is more the evolution of the character than anything else, and perhaps it is not that she changed, but that Rick began showing the change in perspective that came with the revelation that Grape was indeed female...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Morris

Post by Morris »

Yeah, I guess. Reading this comic from beginning to end (given that I read it all the way to the most recent submitted comic) has been quite an emotional roller coaster. I think the originals were best, the secondaries were okay (because they really expanded, with mystery and spirits and crud), and... well, I'm not sure about the "new housepets" thing. I guess I could get used to it.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Morris wrote:I know that Peanut's personality hasn't changed much, but it feels like -right after- Grape goes out with Max, she becomes very girly and acts more thoughtful. I mean, she has her (violent) moments along in the series, but it feels kind of contrived. Maybe this personality change suits her better? I don't know, and I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, I just thought it would be interesting to bring up, as a fan.

I realized it while looking back at this.

--> https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/08/ ... a-nowhere/

She gets a much softer personality later, much less like an "older brother figure" which she seemed like... up until we found out she was a girl. But she retained that older sibling figure further into the story.

Actually now that I look back, Peanut was more perceptive back then as well. At least it's not like blatant Flanderization... or deFlanderization, though. Still enjoy it.
I couldn't agree more with you. Though they weren't the only ones. King and Fox have changed a lot since their first appearance. Bino and Sabrina are other cases. I think that's part of the evolution of the comic, though that doesn't mean we have to like every change. Everyone have their own preferences, but what really matters is what the author prefer (because I think no one should tell him how he should do his job). Of course, we can respectfully express our likes and dislikes about things and maybe if we are kind enough the author would consider it.
ImageImage