Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Biology of Housepets! 

Post Biology of Housepets!
So, exactly how is it that these animals are, well, anthropomorphic? Shouldn't their bodies malfunction?

  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!

Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Why should they malfunction? It's not as though they're just animals from our world who've had a few joints rotated. If, in this world, the animals evolved to be anthropomorphic then it would make sense for them to evolve ways to counter any malfunctions or disadvantages that might have arisen.

Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:00 pm
Profile WWW

One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:05 pm
Bringing Foxy Back

Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Sleet wrote:
Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.

This. So much of this.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Definitely agree with Sleet. If you try to think too hard about it, you basically take all the fun out of the comic.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 pm

What? But if you're not speculating about every little detail of a webcomic universe, how can you call yourself a truly obsessed fan? :)

Seriously, though - I find it fun to speculate about the Housepets! universe. I guess you could say it's my way of fanfic-ing. Also, it keeps me from obsessing about the characters and their screen time, relationships, etc. :P

Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Douglas Collier wrote:
True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.

It was the front gate, to see if the postman was coming.

Although speculating to much can obscure the story from the reader.

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 pm
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!

Meercats. All Housepets species are definitely descended from meercats. That's why they're all so adorable. :P

I'm with Doug here though. There's no need to over-analyse or obsess over it but speculating on absurd theories is fun. :D There's no need for extremes on either end of the spectrum, I think.

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Douglas Collier wrote:
One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).
A very simple diagram of what I mean:

This configuration would help the claws dig into dirt and make for better traction when running.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:20 pm

That actually looks really nice Doug!

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Location: Heaven, mostly, but occasionally just a higher plane of existence
Hlaoroo wrote:
Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!

Actually, I think I read somewhere that scientists at some university were working on a project to grow a bipedal cow. It only lived about a month, tho.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Bringing Foxy Back

The thing about the HP! universe is that if you over-analyze it, it's actually pretty terrifying.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile WWW

Terrifying, yes, but think about how athletic our postmen would be if the dogs could do parkour! :lol:

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:59 pm

You'd have fetchdogs instead of postmen.

RP Character(s)

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Of course being bipedal and having relatively short legs has its disadvantages - they wouldn't be able to run as fast as the dogs of this universe.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

They would be able to run just as fast as young kids in our universe.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Young kids can run pretty fast.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 pm

The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)

This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum. I have just started reading Housepets recently, but I've loved Freefall for a long time, and have written thousands of posts on its forum!

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Well, the celestial part is beyond our mortal understanding so we had to focus our efforts else where.

RP Character(s)

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:57 pm

1071-CCN wrote:
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)

The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 pm

SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:

The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.

But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:20 pm
Profile YIM

GreatKitsune wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:

But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.

Just, you know, FYI.

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

SuperStar wrote:
GreatKitsune wrote:

But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.

Just, you know, FYI.

I know. It was just a joke.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 pm
Profile YIM

I guessed you knew, I just couldn't give up the chance to uuuuuuseeee theeeeee voooooiiiiceeee! :D

Anyway, back on topic.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]