Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
The Quest for Babylon Gardens! 

Post The Quest for Babylon Gardens!
So... Throughout the comics we have been given clues to where the magical place of Babylon gardens might exist. We have seen that there is little to no geography as well as the Flora and Fauna that is native to the town. We also know that it is within driving distance of the american Midwest. Due to this we can surmise that it must be west of the rocky mountain range but not within the the American Midwest due to the abundance of plant-life in the form of woodlands. From all this information i have created a map of the most likely regions it might exist. Some of these are not marked such as the coastal plains east of the Appalachians as well as its furthest foothills. I have also marked the most likely place for it to exist due to fitting all depicted conditions.

In the end this is just my fun head cannon project and i would love to see what other people think :)

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am

Post Re: The Quest for Babylon Gardens!
This.
It seems that the Fate is falling into East Coast.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am

I know that Missouri is a Midwest state within driving distance of Kansas with a lot of trees.
Don't rule out the Midwest simply because there are prairies within it. Also, I think Rick or Diss said somewhere that Babylon Gardens is likely located in the Midwest.

As for the fate, we can't tell its velocity - it could be moving westward at high speed, aiming for the Midwest or west coast. It's the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action.

Here's some research some of us pulled together:
Argent wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:
By overlapping maps of the ranges of both opossums (Jessica) and black-beaked magpies (Trinket), I have created a map of potential states where Babylon Gardens could be located: Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, California, Oklahoma, and Texas. (I left out Kansas because it had to be travelled to in order to visit Bailey).
We can narrow it down further using the map I previously created showing where they could be based on driving distance from locations in Kansas. Eliminate the darkest blue circle-ish-square area (which is less than nine hours from any location in Kansas) and you get:

This eliminates Oregon, Washington, and California. Leaving the kidney-shaped area in the center of your map.

Considering that this is an alternate universe where birds can ask for food and shelter, so don't necessarily stay within their ranges, I guess we can set aside the limit for magpies (Trinket) and expand further east than the range I previously set. Either Missouri or Illinois is my bet.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:21 am

Nice! and yes fate seems to be falling twords the east coast but we don't know its speed. Still from what we all have come up with it seems likely that it is east of Kansas but west of the Appalachians. I'm curious how you came up with the 9 hour drive time however? Was that a best guess for a one day trip? or was it actually stated as a nine hour drive? Also There are opossums all the way to the coast but yes i agree that puts it too far east for the information we have.

Still Both your map and mine overlap on northern Alabama and with your info we could easily extend that zone north and west to the states you both mentioned. Texas though.... Ive been to that part of Texas and its far too barren for what we see in house pets. Topography works but ecology is all wrong.

Addendum: After looking at climate i am inclined to agree that best chances are Missouri or Illinois though i would add Kentucky and Indiana to that list. They fall on the outer edge but still meet the qualifications.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:37 am
Smiley McSmiles

Well, Bailey's family lived on a farm in Kansas, and Uncle Reuben's farm is a 9 hour drive from the Sandwiches. Technically this isn't definitive information, but it appears people spliced it together anyway. ;)
Of note, Bailey's family moved to Joplin, Missouri, forcing her to live elsewhere. It would seem reasonable to take your dog to a nearby-ish place in this situation, lending credence to the more central eastern states. Of course, they could possibly have sent her to Bill's house rather than taking her themselves, so nothing absolute.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:29 pm

this any help? pretty sure it's safe to eliminate any white or yellow zones.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 am
Bringing Foxy Back

Yaknow Rick is from Alabama, so chances are he just based it from what he knows... so going by that first graph, let's say northeast Alabama.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Devil Skirrl

To be fair, Rick's also from Missouri and Babylon Gardens was influenced, at least partly, by his old neighborhood in North Carolina.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:35 pm
Profile WWW

Dissension wrote:
To be fair, Rick's also from Missouri and Babylon Gardens was influenced, at least partly, by his old neighborhood in North Carolina.

If that's the case then it could still be in the green zone as it skirts the edge of the Carolina. Missouri also seems likely i agree as it also meets all the requirements. In truth we may never know for sure unless rick drops an answer in the comic. but its fun to guess :)

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:42 pm
laughing maniacally

under this strip Rick mentions that he accidentally drew leaves on the trees in a winter scene because he lived in Alabama.

Which means we can eliminate anywhere that trees would still have a lot of leaves by New Years.

I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Ok. So i updated the map based on everyone's imput. I kept the region of greatest likelihood the same since it seemed that a good number of you agree on its location. However i also added other places that we have established as either likely or as simply not possible. After all to go to Kansas you must first be outside of Kansas.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Hey, my home is in that green quadrangle! :D

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]