So many MORE questions...

Discuss the comic here
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Re: So many MORE questions...

Post by Blue Braixen »

Edit: Non-Canon material removed.
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm going to assume Peanut was aware and OK with it. Personally I still think that's messed up, but this is not an issue we really should be discussing here.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Sleet wrote:I'm going to assume Peanut was aware and OK with it. Personally I still think that's messed up, but this is not an issue we really should be discussing here.
True, true.
TOPIC PLZ
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

what valerio you wrote what now?
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I have a stupid question: Is it normal for pets to walk around on their own like They do in babylon gardens? I mean, Babylon gardens is supposed to be a kind of utopian community, so is the freedom they experience just the same for pets elsewhere as long as they have their collars or ID, or is there a leash statute or something? I am confused because on their trip to the farm, the convenience store clerk made a big deal about the animals being on leashes, yet the man who refused to sell bino the catnip made no qualms about bino being alone in the store.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

copper wrote:I have a stupid question: Is it normal for pets to walk around on their own like They do in babylon gardens? I mean, Babylon gardens is supposed to be a kind of utopian community, so is the freedom they experience just the same for pets elsewhere as long as they have their collars or ID, or is there a leash statute or something? I am confused because on their trip to the farm, the convenience store clerk made a big deal about the animals being on leashes, yet the man who refused to sell bino the catnip made no qualms about bino being alone in the store.
That's because its Pet Friendly place, but why wasn't Bino on a Leash, or the man said something off "camera".
valerio

Post by valerio »

EDIT: REMOVED ANY IMPROPER REFERENCE TO NONCANON WORK
Last edited by valerio on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's still pretty frightening, no offense. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I cant delete this post... someone delete.
Last edited by Private Elliot on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

copper wrote:I have a stupid question: Is it normal for pets to walk around on their own like They do in babylon gardens? I mean, Babylon gardens is supposed to be a kind of utopian community, so is the freedom they experience just the same for pets elsewhere as long as they have their collars or ID, or is there a leash statute or something? I am confused because on their trip to the farm, the convenience store clerk made a big deal about the animals being on leashes, yet the man who refused to sell bino the catnip made no qualms about bino being alone in the store.
In BG, pets are allowed without leashes, as long as they stay within the boundaries of the community, and also are not considered socially dangerous and are fully vaccinated. Animal control, for example, is called whenever a feral roams around (though not very often)
The stupid, specist, fat clerk we saw dring the roadtrip woo arc had his store OUTSIDE the gardens, and it appears that outside a Pet Friendly community, leash laws are stricter. In some places, there is this loophole, which allows pets with a leash even if the pets hold that leash themselves instead of their owners.
I also gues that, since the collars work as wallets of sort, some IDs are stored there.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:That's still pretty frightening, no offense. :P
none taken.
EDIT: REMOVED ANY IMPROPER REFERENCE TO NONCANON WORK
Last edited by valerio on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

valerio wrote: Other questions, ask away
Okay, here's my question: why are you still talking about this? I can't believe you've put so much thought into this, and this topic isn't exactly about your fanfic in the first place, so you're seriously derailing the thread.

I don't think you've gone too far yet but it's pretty creepy and I want you to stop on the off chance you do put your foot over the line
valerio

Post by valerio »

Done! Sorry for the inconvenience, folks!
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Ok..... um.... so....
Now that Valero's done being... well... incredibly creepy... I never got a solid answer, and while it's no big deal, I'd still like to know... (especially knowning what...Valero... says... O!o;;; Nah, JK, it wasn't THAT bad...)
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Can pets have children? Are they allowed? I mean, what would happen if Grape and Max, for example, sat down and decided they wanted to have kids with each other? (Not that I think that would happen, I've just been curious about it lately.)
I mean, I can assume some things about them, and it has been idly mentioned in the comic occasionally, but there's no straight answer given. Perhaps there is no straight answer and it was never thought of.

And yeah, I know it can have a wide range of answers: after all, there are a few different kinds of owners here. But I just want to know: what's the generally accepted norm for this?
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Er, I'm guessing here. . . PM if I go over the limit.

Since pets are treated as children in BG, and if we're talking about the same mentions in the comic, they most certainly can but probably only with permission from their parents, handlers, owners. . Ehr. .

And probably none of the gross stuff, but the big belly might be there. (I swear those things grow bigger by the day! O .O)

So they probably could, they might be with permission, and Grape gets big belly. . ?
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Just a random question out of left field here, but since the pets are bipedal, can they learn martial arts? Would they even be allowed?
My characters
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not trying to answer stuff as if I'm some kind of authority, but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. Heck, they probably could even if they weren't bipedal; it just wouldn't look like how humans do it. All martial arts are is a method of utilizing the body efficiently for combat beyond what can be done from instinct.
Hypergenesis wrote:Er, I'm guessing here. . . PM if I go over the limit.

Since pets are treated as children in BG, and if we're talking about the same mentions in the comic, they most certainly can but probably only with permission from their parents, handlers, owners. . Ehr. .

And probably none of the gross stuff, but the big belly might be there. (I swear those things grow bigger by the day! O .O)

So they probably could, they might be with permission, and Grape gets big belly. . ?
My guess: they can have children, they're allowed to with some variety of permission (whether it's just simple permission from the owners or some type of pet marriage analog), and it will never be explored in the actual comic so it's not important anyway.
Last edited by Sleet on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

copper wrote:Just a random question out of left field here, but since the pets are bipedal, can they learn martial arts? Would they even be allowed?
Kevin can do (tackle) takedowns so I don't see why martial arts would be prohibited.

It would help a lot with charging suspects and if it's good enough, I'm sure it could be used by some to prevent a Faust ending.

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: I corrected myself.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Hypergenesis wrote:Er, I'm guessing here. . . PM if I go over the limit.

It's not really important and I doubt you'll see it covered within the comic anyway. Why would it? This is a cartoon after all, not slice of life.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Foxstar wrote:It's not really important and I doubt you'll see it covered within the comic anyway. Why would it? This is a cartoon after all, not slice of life.
In my personal opinion, i think it is definitely coverable considering just how heartwarming it would be in pacticular with this comic. Whether Rick decides to bring in the obvious pet circumstances that normal human owners put on their pets is another story.

The way it is with me though is that it shouldn't be something that's touched or considered until at least 5-10 years from now or maybe even longer considering how 2 years has shown that the current story-arcs have been shown that things do progress far faster in the housepets universe than most comic universes. I'm sure Rick hasn't had any thoughts at the moment to follow through with this yet, but with the way the Housepets universe has taken a liking to me i honestly prefer it if any thought of the pets going through such circumstances in the long run rather than anytime soon. That's just my two cents.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
sliceofdog

Are the ferrets related?

Post by sliceofdog »

I was trying to come up with voices for all the ferrets in the audio project, and then I suddenly thought of something.

For some reason I've always assumed that the ferrets were brothers (and sister), but... are they? I know they all have different fur markings, but is that simply so we can tell them apart, or are they not biologically related to one another?

I've always considered them a biological family, but with the whole 'mum' 'dad' human thing, it gets pretty confusing :p
Penwrite

Re: Are the ferrets related?

Post by Penwrite »

I always assumed that they were too. But, you know what they say about assuming things. :P

Anyways, for all intents and purposes they're siblings, through adoption if not by blood.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'd say the markings are good enough reason to assume they're not.
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Anyways, for all intents and purposes they're siblings, through adoption if not by blood.
Oh, for the purposes of the comic, certainly. The reason I ask though is because I'm trying to do voices for them in the audio project. If they are related, their voices will all be fairly similar, but if they're not they can be completely different :)
I'd say the markings are good enough reason to assume they're not.
Yeah, it seems obvious, but to be honest I'm still not convinced :)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

sliceofdog wrote:If they are related, their voices will all be fairly similar
uh, that's not actually true. anyway, they're related in the same way grape and peanut are related. whether or not they're related by blood remains to be seen, but it's at least that.

merging this in with the appropriate topic now
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

uh, that's not actually true.
*shrug* In my experience brothers tend to sound similar, that's what I'm basing it off.
merging this in with the appropriate topic now
Thanks. I didn't know where to put it when I started it, which is why I started a new thread.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

sliceofdog wrote:
uh, that's not actually true.
*shrug* In my experience brothers tend to sound similar, that's what I'm basing it off.
*giggles* okay well i'm going to be overthinky about this, so since all you seem to be worried about is 'how should i do their voices' this post won't really matter to you at all

but if I based it off my experience, there's no difference – and i see no reason why relatives would necessarily sound similar, since they would develop differently – different vocal cords, different sounds. Different pitch, different resonance, all that jazz. Then, when you bring in that each relative, if living distinctly individual lives, would have different influences on accent and tone – yeah, it just seems logical to me that relatives would not really sound alike. Identical twins are probably about it, and then, accent can influence that. Plus, learning to talk in itself is an individual task, and the ways we make the same sounds vary – i do not do the same thing with my tongue when pronouncing my Ls that my sister does (we've talked about it *giggles*) so that in itself makes the sounds essentially different
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Are doxes (dog and fox hybrids) a reality in the Housepets! universe? I know that they aren't here, but I was wondering if they are for this comic. I'd like to know for a project that I am considering.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

copper wrote:Are doxes (dog and fox hybrids) a reality in the Housepets! universe? I know that they aren't here, but I was wondering if they are for this comic. I'd like to know for a project that I am considering.
I guess HP reality will allow any species crossbreed that is possible in our universe as well. So, Mules, Ligers, Czech wolves and the such should be available.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

valerio wrote:
copper wrote:Are doxes (dog and fox hybrids) a reality in the Housepets! universe? I know that they aren't here, but I was wondering if they are for this comic. I'd like to know for a project that I am considering.
I guess HP reality will allow any species crossbreed that is possible in our universe as well. So, Mules, Ligers, Czech wolves and the such should be available.
Okay, I know what mules and ligers are, but what is a Czech wolf?
valerio

Post by valerio »

naylorfan90 wrote:
valerio wrote:
Okay, I know what mules and ligers are, but what is a Czech wolf?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakian_Wolfdog

It's one of the most recent dog breeds, a cross between the German Shepherd and the Canis Lupus. The most awesome canine ever!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Aww, it's so beautiful!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wolves and dogs are the same species, so they're not quite the same as mules and ligers. And definitely far from dogs and cats interbreeding.

I'm going to assume that breeding rules are pretty similar to the real world's.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:Wolves and dogs are the same species, so they're not quite the same as mules and ligers. And definitely far from dogs and cats interbreeding.

I'm going to assume that breeding rules are pretty similar to the real world's.
Yes, my bad. I assume that due to the fact that tigers and lions belong to the Panthera family, while dogs are 'cousins' of the wolves
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Panthera is actually a genus, comparable to Canis.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Thank you to those who answered my original question. I needed that answer.
My characters
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I always wondered why it was the Good Old Dog's Club... just 'cause it sounds more interesting?
Image Image
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

CaptainPea wrote:I always wondered why it was the Good Old Dog's Club... just 'cause it sounds more interesting?
I think it's to remind the dogs that it is a throwback to older, more traditional values. That's my understanding, anyway.
My characters
A-coro

Post by A-coro »

I'm kind of interested in how Max feels about Peanut being so close to Jelly. We don't get to see them interact that much unless it involves Jelly, and I know they're friendly enough, but wouldn't Max feel a little resentful or jealous about Peanut, who had/has a crush on Jelly, spending so much time with her? Or does he even know? I would assume that the cat-lover incident would at least make him suspicious. Or do I have him pegged the wrong way and he's so confident in their relationship that he doesn't care?
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

A-coro wrote:I'm kind of interested in how Max feels about Peanut being so close to Jelly. We don't get to see them interact that much unless it involves Jelly, and I know they're friendly enough, but wouldn't Max feel a little resentful or jealous about Peanut, who had/has a crush on Jelly, spending so much time with her? Or does he even know? I would assume that the cat-lover incident would at least make him suspicious. Or do I have him pegged the wrong way and he's so confident in their relationship that he doesn't care?
I feel like the comic is the perfect place to answer this question! More love triangles! ...... Or rectangles!