Ask A Moderator

What are we doing!?
JeffCvt

Re: Ask A Moderator

Post by JeffCvt »

Hlaoroo did respond to you, herobrineharry. He is literally the first response after you asked for a walkthrough of it.
Hlaoroo wrote:Step one: Find the web address for the image/bar that you want to use. If it's on your computer then you'll need to upload it to a file/picture hosting site. To find the address of a bar that's already on-line, right click on the image/bar and select "view image". The address that appears in the address bar of you browser will be the address you need.
Step two: Copy that address
Step three: Open your User Control Panel, then go to Profile > Edit Signature. This brings up the dialogue box where you can edit your signature.
Step four: Paste the address into your signature in between [img] tags. The address should have http:// at the start and .jpg, .png or any other image file extension at the end.
Step five: Press submit and you're done.

If you're still having troubles after following those steps, then make sure that the image/bar isn't too long or tall. 60x500 pixels is probably the biggest you'd want. Also make sure that there aren't any spaces in or between the [img] tags. You should also make sure that the tags are on the same line or lines as the address.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
zdflion96

Post by zdflion96 »

Sorry herobrineharry :| But don't worry, I see here people is nice xD
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Thanks!

EDIT: And now 2/3rds of my bars are broken. Where can I find help?
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Erm, I need to ask, does this forum also have Google Adsense as one of the bot users (or whatever those purple users are called)? Or is it my laptop that's infected by something?

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Google Adsense [Bot] appears down in the registered users bar from time to time, if that's what you're asking.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, alright. It's just that just now, some of the words have been turned into green links, and when I check it out, apparently my laptop is infested with malware. That's what you get for using cheap antivirus programs =w=

Thanks anyway; in the process of cleaning everything up.

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Oh, yeah, the only ads from our forums are the top and bottom ad bars, so any other links are adware on your computer. Hope it's an easy fix.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Umm.....ok. I have two questions. 1)What does it take to become a moderator? 2)Is there a limit on how many threads one can create?
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

1) It takes some time of showing yourself to be a well-behaved user, a clear understanding of the rules (or willingness to ask when you aren't sure), and most importantly, there needs to be a need for another moderator.

2)no, as long as they don't encroach on topics covered by already existing threads, you can create as many as you want. (we also sometimes allow threads for specific shows/comics/games if we feel they're popular enough that discussion of them would take up too much of the threads devoted to show/comics/games)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Brent's 100% right. I might also add that we prefer moderators to be active users who participate in or contribute to the community, or who show an interest in nurturing the kind of environment we're working to create here. But yes, the most important factor is whether or not we need another moderator.

As to your other question, Brent's right again. Feel free to create as many as you like as long as they comply with forum rules. If in doubt, check with a mod. ;) The only place where there are limitations on thread creation beyond those already mentioned is the RP forum and that's simply to avoid bogging the forum down with RPs that don't work. Feel free to ask any of the RP mods for further information on that if you'd like.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Thank you both, Brent and Hlaoroo. :) I will make sure to check if there are other threads about the topic I wish to discuss.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I was wondering if this thread was still open. Just asking because I never did get an answer to my question. :P On that note, is there a way to confirm my submission was received?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yes it's still open, but I think only diss can confirm whether or not your submission was received.

and I don;t know the answer to your question there.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Douglas Collier wrote:I was wondering if this thread was still open. Just asking because I never did get an answer to my question. :P
Nobody did it yet, and it would somehow ruin the surprise if your's is picked. But if it is allowed or not...
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

This question is directed to Render

What made you think of having a Dingo as a fursona?
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I thought, you know that...

There's a comic made by Blotch, the main character inspired me.

(Searching for the comic will be done on own risk, content not suitable for everyone)
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

Render wrote:I thought, you know that...

There's a comic made by Blotch, the main character inspired me.

(Searching for the comic will be done on own risk, content not suitable for everyone)

Thanks, I had a guess, but you never told me it inspired you...
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey, uh, I can't seem to find a certain thread I created. It was called "Housepets! Themes" unless I'm mistaken. There was a new post just like yesterday or so, but I can't find it.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Is this what you're looking for? It was about halfway down on the second page of the Comic forum. The most recent post was actually July 30.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

aBritishfox wrote:This question is directed to Render

What made you think of having a Dingo as a fursona?
This doesn't seem to be either rules related or a question on forum operation. These sorts of questions are more suited to PMs.
SuperStar wrote:Hey, uh, I can't seem to find a certain thread I created. It was called "Housepets! Themes" unless I'm mistaken. There was a new post just like yesterday or so, but I can't find it.
Did you use the search feature?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hlaoroo wrote:Is this what you're looking for? It was about halfway down on the second page of the Comic forum. The most recent post was actually July 30.
Oh man. Sorry about that, It's only know that I remember it was another thread entirely. :oops: Sorry...
Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

Apologies if this question has been answered already or if this answer is already located somewhere else but on today's newest strip "Jiggity Jig". I wanted to quote-reply two different users' quotes in one post to save space but didn't know how exactly to do it without somehow messing things up (i tried using Preview but it didn't look right) so i just posted twice in a row talking about each quote separately in which a mod soon fixed it for me. I am wondering how exactly one can quote two or more quotes in single reply correctly so that this doesn't happen again? Thank you.
Also how about quote-replying a long quote in which i would want to only talk about part of the quote instead of all of it. How do i only include part of the quote without messing things up? Will it still show who the quote belongs too, even if part of the quote is missing.
Thanks in advance.
....Count on it!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm assuming from your post that you've found the quote button already. If not, it's in the top right corner of every post. If you press this button in the page of the thread you want to reply to then it comes up with the quote in the box and ready for you to answer. The quote will be written in quote tags which look like this:

[quote="Timon64"] Yourquotegoeshere [/quote]

I'm using your username as an example. The username of whichever user you're quoting will appear in the tags. The tags must be written EXACTLY as I wrote them above, including the quotation marks, equal sign and square brackets. You can also just write [quote]...[/quote] but that will not have the person's name in it. Anything other than those two formulas will not show up as a quote.

If you want to put a second quote in, when you're on the "reply" page, you just scroll down a little and you'll see all the posts (or the most recent twenty or so posts depending on how long the thread is) in the box below the reply box. The quote button should be on all of them and just like from the main screen you click the button to quote the post you want. If you highlight a section of text in that box before pressing quote then it'll automatically post just the highlighted section for you.

If you want to keep the quotes from multiple users distinct, simply make sure that each quote is posted OUTSIDE the previous quote. A good way to do that is to start each new set of quote tags on a new line, like this:

[quote="user1"] abdcefg [/quote]
Your comment goes here...
[quote="user2"] hijklmnop [/quote]
Your next comment goes here...

It is also possible to "stack" quotes but I won't go into that now to avoid confusing you. Feel free to ask for further clarification if you like though.

You can easily edit out parts of the quote and you'll still have the name of the person whom you're quoting intact as long as you don't touch the quote tags themselves. If you do accidentally edit the tags, simply use the format I wrote above to put them back in, or use the undo button on your computer.

If you wish to reply to two parts of a person's quote, simply put an [/quote] where you want to split the quote, write your comment on a new line, put the rest of the quote on a new lien below your comment, start it with a new [quote="username"] and then write your second comment OUTSIDE the final [/quote]. You can simply repeat this process to split the post as many times as you like. Alternatively, use the highlighting technique I mentioned above.

I think that's answered everything but if not or if you're still confused or if there's anything else we can do to help then please don't hesitate to ask. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

Ohhh okay, thanks a ton Hlaoroo, i get it now. :)
Wow I didn't even realize I could scroll down to see the tread again while commenting and simply press quote again *facepalm* :lol:
And for the advanced stuff, i'll always have this post now as a reference and I will no doubt respond again if Im having troubles.
Thanks alot, your instructions were clear, thorough and very helpful.
Appreciate it friend :)
....Count on it!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

You're very welcome. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

just to add a little, if you're trying to quote a post that's earlier than the earliest post shown at the bottom of the reply page, you can use another tab to find it in the thread, click the quote button, and copy what's there into the reply you were already making.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Anthroguy101

Ongoing NaNoWriMo Project

Post by Anthroguy101 »

My novel Amazon 4 has anthropomorphic characters, is targeted to a wide adult audience and is VERY NSFW.

Is there any way to tell people where they can see it (e.g. marking it NSFW) or would it be better to just avoid bringing it up altogether?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

If it's that NSFW I'd say it's best to avoid it. This is a family-friendly forum after all and linking to inappropriate material is against the rules. Thanks for asking first though and I wish you success in advertising your work to the appropriate audience. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Lintharix

Post by Lintharix »

As I haven't seen any rule about it, it is okay to advertise a server of a game or other webcomics here?

I'm pretty new in this stuff, don't judge me :oops:
A doctor would tell me to cheer up, since I'm a bit depressive. ¿What do I think? I don't need that #&@%, I have been under heavy stress for 5 years, I'M SUPPOSED TO REACT LIKE THIS.
Douglas Collier

Lintharix wrote:As I haven't seen any rule about it, it is okay to advertise a server of a game or other webcomics here?

I'm not a mod but
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... start=6040
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... &start=440
respectively. ;) Just remember this is a PG forum, so make sure anything you post is family friendly. Hope this helps. :)
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Lintharix

Post by Lintharix »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Lintharix wrote:As I haven't seen any rule about it, it is okay to advertise a server of a game or other webcomics here?

I'm not a mod but
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... start=6040
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... &start=440
respectively. ;)
Thanks, cookie for you :lol:
A doctor would tell me to cheer up, since I'm a bit depressive. ¿What do I think? I don't need that #&@%, I have been under heavy stress for 5 years, I'M SUPPOSED TO REACT LIKE THIS.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

To answer that more fully, it depends on what your plans are. You're more than welcome to discuss other games and comics as long as the discussion remains family-friendly, as Doug pointed out, but if you're advertising said games or comics for your own financial gain then we don't allow that. After all, the point of these forums is to help Rick Griffin make money and we don't want to detract from that. There are plenty of other sites out there where proper advertising can be done, but unfortunately the Housepets! forums isn't the appropriate place for that.

I think it also worth pointing out that linking to off-site material that isn't family-friendly is against the rules as is using the forums to link to, advertise or organise anything else which contravenes the forum rules.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Lintharix

Post by Lintharix »

Hlaoroo wrote:

To answer that more fully, it depends on what your plans are. You're more than welcome to discuss other games and comics as long as the discussion remains family-friendly, as Doug pointed out, but if you're advertising said games or comics for your own financial gain then we don't allow that. After all, the point of these forums is to help Rick Griffin make money and we don't want to detract from that. There are plenty of other sites out there where proper advertising can be done, but unfortunately the Housepets! forums isn't the appropriate place for that.

I think it also worth pointing out that linking to off-site material that isn't family-friendly is against the rules as is using the forums to link to, advertise or organise anything else which contravenes the forum rules.
Sorry, sometimes I forget that I'm not explaining myself enoughly good in English.

I meant "advertising" on this way:
-Hey so I'm playing this game and thought you would like it
+Cool, what's the link to it?
-(insert url here)

It's not financial gaining, so don't worry.

I'm asking it 'cause of my signature. Thanks anyway, you made a complete answer.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

SA-MP is a GTA mod, correct? If so, it's not appropriate to be advertising on these forums. Sorry. Also, if your RP is anything like the actual game then I'd say it's probably inappropriate for Housepets! forums too. Sorry.

If you like RP though, feel free to look in at the RPs we have on offer here. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Lintharix

Post by Lintharix »

Hlaoroo wrote:SA-MP is a GTA mod, correct? If so, it's not appropriate to be advertising on these forums. Sorry. Also, if your RP is anything like the actual game then I'd say it's probably inappropriate for Housepets! forums too. Sorry.
Understood, thanks :)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Anyone who was curious wrote:Why was XYZ thread locked?
Threads are locked, in general, because they have outlived their usefulness.
Sometimes a thread's subject is considered controversial, and in the interest of keeping things civil, any questions are answered and the thread is locked.
Sometimes the core question of a thread has been answered, and in the interest of not letting the conversation trickle off to unrelated streams of discussion, the thread is simply locked.
Sometimes the conversation has trickled off to unrelated streams of discussion either with little coherency or toward a topic already with a dedicated thread. Thus it is closed.
And sometimes the mods feel that the matter has been discussed to such degree that further conversation would only begin (or is already beginning) to trickle off to unrelated streams. Thus it is closed.
Threads are also sometimes simply left open, at the discretion of the mods.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you feel meaningful conversation could be continued in a currently locked thread or you have a question related to the topic of a closed thread, please seek out a mod via PM to help you in this matter. Alternatively you can open your own thread, and see if it kicks off.
Douglas Collier

Question: Is posting anything on the New Contest! Make your mark... thread before a new banner is posted, after the beginning of the new season, considered harassing the admins? :?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well, that would depend what and how you posted. If they tell you to stop or you're spamming the thread and you keep posting then obviously that would be harassment. But if you just want to talk about the competition then I think that's fine.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Lately the site has been loading slower than usual. I've cleaned my cookies and the problem still persists. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

We've received several reports of latency and are investigating. Sorry for any inconvenience; thanks for your patience and support!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other