HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

valerio

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by valerio »

well, Dayshaun captured the general attention first because he's got Peanut's exact pattern and he's the firstborn. That gives his condition a highly symbolic value.
Mizar's pups, Naos and Rigel, are twins, both white with brown muzzle and ears.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I just finished reading and WOW! I'm not usually one to like fanfiction but you sir are awesome!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Another great update! The success is wonderful. Tegan will make an excellent president, until her position is usurped or whatever drama comes next. :lol:

Nice references to Babylon Gardens there.

Kwesi and Alandra, eh? Guess we need to come up with a name or this one too, huh? :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

YAY! :D :D Welcome to the club, Sparky ;)

And, Copper, what do you think of Kwandra? 8-)
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I actually like the expression names rather than the name mashups.

I prefer King of Hearts and Going Native to Fallegra or Grapenut...
My characters
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Finally caught back up...

Okay...that snowball fight was probably the most epic thing I have ever read...that and Alandra + Kwesi? If I were the sort to do so, I think I would be 'squee'ing at that.

That said...in reply to the whole 'coming up with a name' thing...the only things that come to mind for me, that could represent those two as a couple would be either 'New Horizon' or 'Second Chance'(I do have reasoning for both, but it's pretty weak in the end), but then, I'm not very good with that sort of naming scheme for couples. Having always fallen back on name mash-ups.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw those out there...oh, and say that the story is as awesome and epic as ever. Looking forward to seeing where and how things go from here.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, they are both foreign, so maybe something about that? Or the whole gardening link they have? Maybe Bittersweet Love? I dunno....
My characters
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I love how this is soo good detailed, I hate when a movie,serie,cartoon,book, or comic jump from a situation to other, leaving it implicit.

Your skills are *looking for an appropriate word* monolithical !!!!!

(im starting to hate volant :o )
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
valerio

Post by valerio »

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season III
Episode 5 – Like to get to know you well
By VALERIO

Garcia House, Apt. 333, Lev. 33, The Fulcrum, Terrace High

“Tegan, please, tell me you don’t hate me. I value so much our friendship, I couldn’t stand it if you hated me.”
The addressee of those words, a Maine Coon female, almost laughed at that display of anxiety. “Alandra! You’re so silly, why should I hate you, of all people in the world?”
Alandra Garcia was another Maine Coon, though she had gotten something from another unidentified breed. That ‘something’ gave her a smaller build and shorter hair, but also added to her overall cuteness. She looked like Tegan’s small sister.
Alandra fiddled with her fingers. “Uhm, ay, because I get to date a cute doggie and you’re still single?”
Tegan sipped from her glass of cherry soda. “Ali, I’m just happy for you. You deserve this occasion… Though, I am a bit more confused than jealous.”
“Confused? And why?”
Another sip. “Antonio was a cat, right? Sorry for bringing his name up.”
Alandra sighed and abandoned herself against the couch. “Ay, Antonio was a cat. The most handsome, the bravest of the feline kingdom.” So brave, he had given his life to protect Alandra and her Dad. The only things that were left of him were sweet memories and a thread of yarn wrapped around her collar tag. Remembering still hurt her, but now, she realized, it was because she had never someone else to fill the void. Antonio’s ghost haunted her because Alandra felt she hadn’t honored his memory. She had promised him to live on for him too, instead she had closed herself to life. She had followed her Dad to the United States, where she could be operated, where Dad could get a job, a real one.
But she had avoided any romantic involvement.
Funny, until then she had never thought that a dog could fill the void… Provided it was love. “Kwesi is so much like Antonio, Tegan. He’s so…lively despite having suffered a lot. His family is far away in another continent, he worked hard to live in this country, and only now he’s being given the chance to. And he’s cute.”
Tegan patted her paw. “That’s good to hear. Especially the last part. You’re really honest with your preferences, are you?”
Alandra shrugged. “Meh, perhaps it’s because of my sickness.” She had spent most of her young life at home, in her bed, because of a condition of her kidneys. Hector Garcia had worked very hard just to find the medicines to keep her alive, a transplant and the post-operatory were out of the question because of the amount of money required. Apparently, Alandra was condemned to live a very short life…that is, until an American stranger and his wolf had crossed her path.
It had been thanks to Keith Greyfield’s generosity that Hector could leave his native Colombia and give a chance to himself and his family.
Alandra had vowed to make the best of her life even before she was healed. “Things like this cat/dog taboo are stupid, if you ask me. We should be free to listen to our heart. That much Dad and Antonio taught me.”
“OMG could this get any sappier?” said the parrot perching on the shoulder of the Rhodesian Ridgeback, which walked past them in the direction of the kitchen. The big dog, his left eye covered as always by a swirling tuft of fur, grunted his agreement.
Tegan gave Alandra a perplexed look. “Truth be told, I am way more curious about why you are letting the Fantasticus Trio crashing by you.”
The Maine Coon mix’s ears flickered in curiosity. “The what?”
“Oh, sorry. Isaac found this Alan Ford comic collection on eBay and donated it to the Club’s library. The Fantasticus Trio is this gang of wannabe supervillains, and I think it fits your guests here.” She pointed her thumb at the kitchen.
“We still can hear you!” came Piper’s angry reply.
“Hey, at least I didn’t call you ‘Terrible Three’ or something worse!”
Alandra chuckled. “They are not villains, Teg. Sure, they can be…abrasive, but they are members of the club, and they deserve a chance at socialization. You should have seen Mac, he thought he was home, he was so happy! Now he’s sleeping like an angel.”
Tegan hadn’t any difficulty believing that: half of this apartment was a tropical greenhouse! There were plants everywhere, especially in the rooms Alandra and Hector didn’t use. “I guess you’re right…”
“Thanks,” Piper said as Volant passed. The dog held a tray with a cup of milk, one with raw minced meat and one with seeds. “Oh, and thank you for the food, lady,” Piper said in a definitely more polite tone. “Someone in this club does know how to treat a fellow member at least.”
“Don’t push it,” Tegan warned him…and got a raspberry in return. She turned all purple with indignation and her voice turned to a hysterical shriek. “I am the President!”
“Yeah yadda yadda di!” Piper chided while his transport walked up the stairs.
Alandra had followed that exchange with an identical perplexed look as Tegan’s before. “You weren’t forced into accepting them in the club, right?”
Tegan bit her lower lip, her tail lashing. “Volant. I knew that Piper would join, and so Volant would as well.”
The other cat nodded, as she nudged her friend. “I can understand that. If he became an actor, he’d steal the spotlight to Primo!”
“You know him?!”
Alandra scoffed. “Hey, there are DVD readers in Colombia, you know?!”
“Sorry. Which movies featuring him did you see? Assault to the Pridelands?
“That, and The Golden Tag, Predatory Syndrome, GenomX…and even Chain to My Soul.”
Tegan laughed. “You’re kidding?! You must be the only one admitting it! I mean, talk about embarrassing start of career! How did you get a copy?”
Alandra shrugged. “Easy: I asked him. I sent him a letter and he sent me a signed copy. That, or his agent decided to get rid of the only existing copy and thought Colombia was far enough.”
“Well, at least you’re one devoted fan. Now that you live in the US, you could write him again.”
“Well, I am trying to convince Dad to save some money so that I can…” her face lit up all of a sudden. “Stupid me!”
“Uh?”
Alandra slapped her fist into her palm. “You will write him, as President of the Club! We’ll add our signatures and see what happens. I mean, that will give us some more chance than anyone writing his or her own fanletter, right?”
“Well… That could hopefully work. I’ll work on it right away, promise.”
“Great! So we get a double dose of eye candy. I mean, imagine, Primo and Volant in the same room!”
Tegan chuckled, and let out a contented purr at the thought. “Like in one of those all-star movies, the hero against his nemesis, and the girl with a divided loyalty…” She purred louder.
“Tegan Jackson, what a scandalous girl you are!”
“Guilty, your honor. I plea insanity due to doggy awesomeness!” She grabbed her thick tail and brought it to her chest. “You know what makes up for temporary lack of boyfriend?”
“What?”
“I can talk about this. I mean, back in Babylon things had changed already, but here I’m starting it all over again. And I feel as if I belong—“
“Saappyyy!” came from upstairs.
I’m so gonna roast him… And how can you say that Mac is an angel? He tried to eat poor Saga! In front of everyone!”
Alandra shrugged. “I couldn’t eat any live prey due to my illness, but didn’t you find that tiny mouse…appetizing?”
Tegan shivered as if she had been proposed to eat a slug. “Watch it, lady: should my friend Sabrina hear you, she’d hex you into next Christmas! And no, I never had to eat a mouse, thank you: ew, the idea that someone could is disgusting.”
“Are you sure you’re a cat at all?”
“My DNA says so. And, Piper, one word from you and you’re out!”
“Spoilsport!”
Tegan decided to change argument before she actually decided to try live meat. “Did you too receive Joey’s invitation?”
Joey Parker from Babylon Garden, he had helped Tegan to set up the Love For Life Social Club. His help had been precious.
Alandra nodded. “I found the Scratch’n’Sniff card in my mail box, yes. And no, I didn’t scratch it. It’s so cute that he wants to invite our first roster to his wedding. Think you’ll accept?”
“Of course! It’s still weeks away, so there’s all the time to organize the event.” Tegan was squirming, her eyes glittering with a new manic light.
“You’re thinking about Grape’s kittens—Woah!” she jumped when she saw the transformation in Tegan’s face.
The cat’s expression was like a pup’s before the biggest pile of cookies, her pupils would almost fill her eyes. “Wanna! Ohhh, I want to smell them all over and adopt one and nibble at those delicious tiny ears! And then I will send Grape to Timbuktu and marry Peanut. After spending six months consoling him and making him forget her, of course!”
Alandra placed her paws over her friend’s shoulders. “I think I will help you find a boyfriend before then, what do you think? It’s less scary.”
They rang at the door. Alandra’s fur puffed up, as her expression turned to one of sheer terror. “It’s him!” Her paws turned into two vises as she started shaking her friend like a rag doll. “Tegan, you must help me I’m not ready I am gonna faint you must chaperon me what if he got flowers I don’t know what to say I never dated a dog!”
“Grape’s kittens!” Tegan said, managing to show her a picture of her Babylon’s friend licking Dayshaun’s back fur.
Alandra’s expression suddenly turned to one of ecstasy. “Gee!”
The Maine Coon fixed her collars and straightened her shoulders fur. She took the picture and put it back into her collar. “Now, don’t get into a panic. Just be yourself, okay? Talk about what you like most, improvise.”
“Is that all? It can’t be so easy!” Then they rang again. Alandra hid under the glass table. “Mew.”
Tegan gently pulled her out of her improvised hideout. “Now, what would Antonio say? Take a deep breath, and wait here. I am gonna open the door for you, okay? And yes, it is that easy: in fact, it was because Peanut couldn’t be let free to express himself that he and Grape almost broke up for good. Now wait here.” She went to the door and pressed the button.
The door slid open. Tegan jumped. “Oh.”
“Something wrong?” asked the Basenji dog standing in front of her.
She shook her head. “Uh, no. Well, no, nothing wrong at all.”
“You look…hungry.”
“Uh-uh.” Tegan had known Kwesi, but this was the first time she met him without a crowd to distract her. And heck, he was one good-looking boy, just like that Karo stud! Not buff, but definitely toned –sculpted, in fact. Some ferals got thin, he had grown into an Apollo-esque statue.
Tegan decided she hated Alandra. Just a bit.
Last edited by valerio on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

due credits are due.
Primo (C) Stu. He's a media star, he deserves to be quoted! :D
legendario13

Re: Quick...Before they see

Post by legendario13 »

Women always behave like little girls on this situations, thats what i like of them.
young soul forever!!! Yay!

I may have to read housepets X also ....

IT WORTH THE WAIT TO READ THIS GREAT no,
AWESOME no,
EPIC ! PIECE OF ART
Last edited by legendario13 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yay, a relatively short update, my favorite kind. ^_^
I think I detected another small Scrubs reference in here, but I my be wrong.
And yet another fic gets a shout-out from you. Congrats to Stu.
I look forward to the next update.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

"GenomX" uh? 8-) i got it

Great update, as always. I loved Primo's reference ;)
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I really liked Primo's reference. Crossovers FTW
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yet another wonderful update. Tegan is a bit scary when kittens are brought up...

Alandra and Kwesi, I can't wait to see how this goes! I am sure hilarity will ensue! :lol:

So the three Terrors like Alandra. Good. Maybe they won't try anything to ruin her date...
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

Garcia House, Apt. 333, Lev. 33, The Fulcrum, Terrace High

It was just a small favor Alandra had asked her. ‘Keep an eye on my place while I am away’.
How hard could it be? There were even security cameras.
Well, for a starter, it made Tegan nervous.
No, not the camera.
The other guests: a 7-feet long python with an attitude, and a Rhodesian Ridgeback known as a troublemaker, sitting right in front of her.
But Alandra had told her that all they needed was someone who trusted them, not fear them.
And Tegan was the President of the Love for Life Social Club. She couldn’t just give the bad example.
Since Volant and Macajuel had come to occupy the couch in front of her, all they had done was stare at her. Mac with those eyes like a dragon’s valuing a morsel, and Volant with that one visible blue eye filled with hostile emotions.
Eventually, it was the dog who said, “So.”
“Ah, yes?” Come on’ Teggy! You faced more dangerous animals than these two! You can show no fear! No no no you are taking it wrong again, they are not evil! Yes they are and you better watch your back and not let them invite you to their place for a snack! Shut up stupid paranoid voice!
At that point, she just realized Volant was still talking. “…like me?” he asked.
“Uh, sorry?”
Volant could’ve been Mr. Spock’s dog, given the expressivity he put on his face when he repeated, “When you were talking with Alandra, before, you said that you liked me. That I could make an actor.”
Tegan blushed so much that she was sure she needed an extinguisher now. “Uhh, yes! I said so.” Not exactly the smoothest approach, but she had been taken by surprise by his bluntness.
The cat took a glass of water. She sipped it in a new wave of uncomfortable silence.
“Would you like to date me?”
PFFFFFFTT!! At least, she got to turn her head and drench a plant instead of Volant. “Uhh…”
“You were trying to be nice to me, the first time we met, and I was very rude,” Volant said. “I would like to apologize. I think a date would do.”
“Uhh…”
At that moment, Macajuel’s mouth opened and a very upset parrot, holding the jaws open as if he was trying to lift a rock, said, “For heaven’s sake, President! Just tell him ‘yes’ and let’s get this over with—GAK!” Mac’s jaws snapped shut a moment later. “Lemmeout, you stupid slithering bag! Volant, do something before he tries to digest me! And he ate garlic too!!”
“Thank you, by the way.”
Volant didn’t seem fazed. “You’re welcome, though Mac was waiting for a pretext after Saga told him it was Piper to set her free. Anyway, if you don’t agree—“
That terrified her more than a laughter shot at her face! “Whendoyouwant?”
“Tuesday. Dinner and a movie?”
Tegan nodded. “I pick the diner, you pick the movie. Deal?”
“Deal.” He extended his paw to shake. She returned the gesture, uncertain if believing her sudden luck or feel worried.
She eventually decided she’d worry about it when the time would come.
She really wished Alandra was here…
---
The Mall Area

“Did I say something funny?” But the Basenji dog didn’t wait for an answer. His attention was already going to another window, this time to an Apple Store’s. In the center of the stand there was this picture of a smiling girl presenting the latest tablet. “Ohh, what’s an iPad?” he asked, wagging his short curly tail with excitement.
Alandra didn’t find him ‘funny’, not in the sense that he was ridiculous, but Kwesi was…well, like an alien from another planet. He had spent years in this country, after escaping his old life in Africa, but he had never found a family who would adopt him, never adapted to this society’s rules. He had lived at the margins, like any other feral, and that had precluded him from really knowing the world.
And the fact that he was absolutely cute added to her desire to hold him and protect him, though, if looks said enough, he was strong enough to play the role of the knight in shining armor.
Alandra didn’t pat his back –she wasn’t sure he would accept such a gesture. Well, it was their very first date so she didn’t know anything about him, save for the basic facts explained by Brother Lazarus.
So my date is a dog, sue me! And she was a cat, and she had all the right in the world to find happiness! She had helped Tegan found the LFLC to find someone special, and she had been lucky enough to meet Kwesi during the Club’s opening day.
Of course, she wasn’t in love…yet! She wasn’t the kind of girl who’d instantly fell for anyone –even poor Antonio had to work hard to gain her trust.
Alandra looked around the so-called ‘gizmo’ area, the building’s level dedicated to the electronics stores. She, too, had grown up in poverty, and this display of luxury and lights was…overwhelming. She could understand Kwesi’s reaction. It was better than a carnival! She wished she could buy it all and have fun with this stuff for the rest of her life.
Kwesi’s paw ran to his brand new collar, the first collective gift courtesy of the Club to welcome its first ex-feral. He sighed.
This time, Alandra put a paw on the dog’s shoulder. “Something wrong?”
“Well, I wish I had a job. I would like to buy something for me, instead of relying on charity. I mean, Brother Lazarus is very generous with me, allowing me to work for him to pay for food and roof, but I still am penniless, much like I always lived…” he shrugged. “Except that now I don’t have to watch my back every day.”
“Aw. Why don’t you try to look out for a family? I mean, every human here is an animal lover and has a steady income, someone’s bound to adopt.”
Kwesi shuffled his feet, looking embarrassed. “Err, that wouldn’t change much, you know.”
They started walking, so that their conversation would pass unnoticed in the crowd of residents and visitors who came for shopping. “What do you mean?”
Another shrug. “Eh bien, I still would depend on someone. I came to America to earn my living, not to beg for money or food.”
“Is that a family thing?”
Kwesi nodded. A smile came back to his lips. “Since we can remember, we earned our own food. My first ancestor was a farmer, or so father said. We never went to the humans to be their slaves.”
Alandra frowned. “Pets are not slaves! Why do you say that?”
When he shrugged again, she found that gesture…irritating. Was that how Tegan would feel when Elliot started acting like a jerk? “Sure, you got your space, a roof over your head, food… But, ultimately, your rights are very restricted. You are not even free to start your own family. Adults and pups alike get sold or given as if they were inanimate objects.” He shook his head. “No, in my country we are free to build our own life. To you I may seem a feral, a creature of minor social value, but my family trades, can live off the land, can keep together—“
“Then why did you leave them, if you were so happy?!” she snapped, her fur standing up.
Kwesi stopped on his tracks, looking at her with a blank expression.
Alandra felt like a stupid. “I’m sorry,” she said in a thin voice. “I didn’t have the right to…”
Kwesi sighed and walked to her. He gently squeezed her paws. “Don’t worry. It was my fault for offending you. You know…I felt so angry when Tegan announced that those three families could keep their young, as if it was something so exceptional. It stroke me as something so…unfair.”
“It is. But what can we do? We just can’t bear litter after litter in the same place. That would cause so many problems, in the long run… But Kwesi, we like our humans. We don’t live with them out of opportunism.” She rolled her eyes. “Well, at least most of us, counting out the Fantasticus Trio—frick!” she added making a face. It had stuck! “Anyway, I never saw Dad as my…owner, though laws say otherwise. I had been always sick, and he took care of me, often giving away is food for me, ready to risk his freedom to collect the money to cure me. He’s family, do you understand?”
Kwesi nodded. “I…see. Again, I’m sorry.”
“Nevermind. Really.” Aaand the date was so screwed! Make the best of this wreck, chica! “So, what’s your story, if you don’t mind? I didn’t mean to snap, but you described such a good life back in your country. And I admit it, I’d love to own my farm.”
“Father was impressed by my…special memory. I told you I am fascinated by plants, right?”
“Yes.”
“Well, living in the open most of our life, we ended up spending whole nights stargazing, studying constellations, the planets and their movements.” His eyes looked up, as if he was actually seeing the clear, dark sky dusted with infinite gems… “I ended up learning all of their names, and then I’d make up my own constellations and think of stories behind them.” Only then did he notice she was still holding his paw. And her expression had gone dreamy with a marked nuance of adoration.
“¿Te gustaría compartir estas historias conmigo?”
“Err, I’m sorry but my languages are French, Arabic and English.” He chuckled, scratching behind his ears. “Heh, there was a certain shortage of Spanish-speaking folks.”
Alandra blushed. “Sorry. I asked if you would like to share these stories with me.”
It was his time to turn red, and she found that even cuter –seriously, if he kept being so adorable he’d start a nuclear reaction! "Well, I used to do that when I was a pup, it was something silly.”
Alandra purred in encouragement. “I’m sure it is not. Your face just…lit up while talking about it. Such fond memories can’t be something ‘silly’.” And by then, the argument about why he had left his country and a life that must have been so good wasn’t brought up again –not by Kwesi, at least, and Alandra didn’t want to spoil the moment by insisting. She was content enough with the date as it was going, no pressure…
Then an idea struck her! “Say, there is a place you might enjoy most than others. You said that your family trades in spices, right?”
Kwesi nodded, ears flicking in curiosity.
Alandra guided him to the elevator.
---
Ancient Roads-Spice Shop, read the sign. For security, other than for standard, reasons, the sign must be a ShoWall™ display that reproduced the look of a street shop, complete with flaked paint at the corners.
Another display, a thin LCD one this time, hanging from the door, would read,

THIS SHOP'S PURPOSE IS TO SELL ITS ITEMS. VISITORS ARE KINDLY ASKED NOT TO INDULGE HERE ONLY TO SNIFF THEM. THANK YOU.

It looked like Alandra was right.
Kwesi was leaning against the shop window, wagging like crazy, trying to sniff through the glass. He was definitely excited –and another point of cuteness, she wished she had a ball of yarn to see if he’d play with her.
Eventually, Kwesi turned. “شكرا جزيلا لك!” He said, trembling with emotion. She didn’t need a translator to understand. Then he switched back to English. “I grew up among those scents, learning to tell each different kind of pepper with blindfolded eyes. My passion for botany was born while I was a pup: even during our travels from town to town, mother taught me to tell the plants who could present a danger and those I could approach safely. Heh, once I rolled up in a nettle bush just to see how she would react.”
Alandra jumped. “Ouch.”
“Oui. But in the end I didn’t get scolded: I had inflicted my own punishment on myself. And learnt a valuable lesson.”
Alandra chuckled. “I can imagine that. What’s your favorite spice?”
Kwesi pointed at an antique-looking small glass jar with a handwritten label, containing a fine reddish powder. “Berbere spice mix. Mother used it to dress her dishes of legumes or rice. It is made with cumin, cardamom, fenugreek, coriander, cloves, black pepper, red pepper, gingerroot, turmeric, salt, paprika and cinnamon.”
Even before he had finished counting the ingredients on his fingers, Alandra was drooling.
“Do you know it?”
She nodded. “Oh, yes! Because of my illness, I had to eat bland foods for most of my life, so Dad bought several kinds of spices to flavor them. Most of all, I love saffron and black pepper! Now follow me!” Not that he had a say in it, since she dragged him effortlessly into the shop.

“Here. Now you sniff as much as you want. As for me…” Alandra went to the counter. “Excuse me sir,” she asked the clerk. “How much do you want for that jar of Berbere Mix in the window?”
The man, an Arabic middle-age man with a thick mane of glossy black hair and a thin moustache, showed her a polite smile. “That will be 5 ounces, it comes at $7, madame. It’s a good price, considering it’s made with ground ingredients imported from Africa.”
Alandra fished out her wallet. “’Madame’. Heh, that’s surely a nice change from ‘girl’ or ‘lady’.”
The man turned to grab a jar. “I chose to work here because Mr. Gottschalk keeps pets in the highest regard, when it comes to social status. I feel that you folks are persons, not…property or witless children. No offense meant.”
“None taken. Oh, no, please, no need to wrap it. A bag will do, thank you.”
The man nodded and bent to take a paper bag. He put the jar into it and handed it to the cat. “Here. Is it for him?”
Alandra nodded, then noticed the man’s intent expression, his eyes turned at Kwesi… Then he shook his head. “Ah, no. Sorry, madame, that was a trick of memory. I must be getting old already. You see, that young dog looks so much like one my father uses to trade with. He wrote me that he owes much of his export products to that guy. But I guess there are more than two Basenji in the world, right?”
Those words were like a jolt for Kwesi. His ears flattened while his eyes grew double their size. “Excuse me, but…” He almost dared not speak. He was so afraid to ask, as if an American human would know something about a dog living in Africa…
But, for how much he feared to ask, for how much he feared to open old wounds, all of a sudden Kwesi Cira needed to know. It was as if all what he had done, all he had seen, all he had experienced brought him here to talk with this human.
To show him that there was still hope. “Sir… Do you have a picture of that dog?” Stupid stupid stupid! Of course he doesn’t have one, and there are other dog traders in my country, like asking about a broker in Wall Street!
The man said nothing. He just bent down, took something from behind the counter, then put it over it.
It was a book, an old photographic album with a worn brown leather cover. The man opened it and from the first page he pulled out a picture. He then handed it to the dog. “Here. You can keep it if you want, this is a copy.”
Kwesi took the picture with trembling paws. He didn’t even realize he was crying when he saw the human and the canine wearing a colored caftan, smiling at the camera, with a camel standing behind them.
“Papa…”
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

That was awesome Val!
I can't wait to see what happens on Tegan and Volant's date
I also like how Alandra and Kwesi are getting along.
I feel so bad for Samson though, he keeps missing out on Tegan.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Well, I would fear a python. Any snake for the matter even if it were offering me diet cakes made with love.
oh, wait.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

ON NOM NOM !

MOAR!

I just wanted to say... NO! Tegan! Dont do it!

IT'S A TRAP

that or maybe im jealous of volant.......

Wait what did i just said??...Jealous of a fictional character? :shock:

What have you done with me Valerio !!!??
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

Tegan is the best OC this far. Just try prove me wrong, I dare ya.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

You definitely know how to keep me interested, can't wait for the next update!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

legendario13 wrote:Wait what did i just said??...Jealous of a fictional character? :shock:

not a fictional character, but a fictional dog. because he gets a date with a fictional cat.

Interesting update. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that this shopkeeper will end up being Kwesi's owner before the season finale
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

FINALLY! I finally finished. And ... I'm floored. Both by the incredible story ... and how long it was. Is, I should say. Anyway, I'm finally caught up. Awesome work. Just ... really, really awesome work.

Also, I'm honored that you included one of my characters. It's really awesome to see Duke even get a mention in this epic. ^^

PS: When I was about a third of the way through this thread, I saw a post I made back in April of last year saying something to the effect of "I should probably be reading this." If only past!me had listened! *falls to his knees and rages at the heavens*
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

There is one positive Coatl_Ruu, you got to be able to read a bunch of chapters in one go! I miss the nights of staying up till 2am just reading this fanfic. It's that good!
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I stayed up til 6AM when I had class at 9:30 AM. that's dedication to a fanfic.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I stayed up til 6AM when I had class at 9:30 AM. that's dedication to a fanfic.
I applaud you.
I got lucky and found it over Christmas break, I stayed up multiple nights to get through the whole thing. I kinda want to reread when I get the chance.
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I stayed up til 6AM when I had class at 9:30 AM. that's dedication to a fanfic.
Wow, I thought I was dedacated for reading this in my spare time in school at the risk of the sight becoming blocked, but staying up to 6:00AM beats that hands down. I bow to your superior dedication. *bows*
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it should probably be stressed that I would have stayed up until 5AM anyway, but that extra hour can make all the difference.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Zukio wrote:
I applaud you.
I got lucky and found it over Christmas break, I stayed up multiple nights to get through the whole thing. I kinda want to reread when I get the chance.
Rereading the fic can be great fun, just don't try and do it marathon style...it can make for some really weird dreams, let me tell ya.

That aside. As usual I'm loving how things are going, especially with Alandra and Kwesi, even though it's just starting out, those two make a cute couple...at least in my head. Also loved the scene in the spice shop at the end, that was great. That said...I am still very, very confused about what to feel for Volant's character. Part of me is rooting for him, hoping he'll improve...and another part wants to stuff him in a crate to Madagascar along with Mac and Piper and just be done with their troublesome plotting...does that make me a bad person?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, Volant might just be feeling something for once, who knows? :lol: :roll:

Anywho, I think maybe Kwesi might not be adopted by that guy, but he will definitely get a job in that shop for sure. He is way too knowledgeable and the connection is something else. I think The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho put silly notions in my head! :lol: Maktub....

Teagn and Alandra are definitely in for some weird but good times~ :D

I read it as soon as the English translations by Housefox came out. No idea about these marathon things. :lol:
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

legendario13 wrote:ON NOM NOM !
MOAR!
I just wanted to say... NO! Tegan! Dont do it!
IT'S A TRAP
that or maybe im jealous of volant.......
Wait what did i just said??...Jealous of a fictional character? :shock:
Welcome to my world... 8-)
EvanAierkan wrote:Tegan is the best OC this far. Just try prove me wrong, I dare ya.
She could be...she could be not...
We're still at this season's beginning, you know. ;)
Coatl_Ruu wrote:FINALLY! I finally finished. And ... I'm floored. Both by the incredible story ... and how long it was. Is, I should say. Anyway, I'm finally caught up. Awesome work. Just ... really, really awesome work.
Also, I'm honored that you included one of my characters. It's really awesome to see Duke even get a mention in this epic. ^^
PS: When I was about a third of the way through this thread, I saw a post I made back in April of last year saying something to the effect of "I should probably be reading this." If only past!me had listened! *falls to his knees and rages at the heavens*
I still have plans for Duke, just stay tuned my faithful reader.
Also, it's never too late to listen to yourself. :lol:
Zukio wrote:There is one positive Coatl_Ruu, you got to be able to read a bunch of chapters in one go! I miss the nights of staying up till 2am just reading this fanfic. It's that good!
Wow, better than caffeine! :mrgreen:
laaadies and gentlemennn, DA WINNER!
I hope you didn't start your lessons by relating about my work instead of that history assignment.. :?
Shirosune wrote:
Zukio wrote:I applaud you.
Rereading the fic can be great fun, just don't try and do it marathon style...it can make for some really weird dreams, let me tell ya.
That aside. As usual I'm loving how things are going, especially with Alandra and Kwesi, even though it's just starting out, those two make a cute couple...at least in my head. Also loved the scene in the spice shop at the end, that was great. That said...I am still very, very confused about what to feel for Volant's character. Part of me is rooting for him, hoping he'll improve...and another part wants to stuff him in a crate to Madagascar along with Mac and Piper and just be done with their troublesome plotting...does that make me a bad person?
I should also point out that i am total A Nightmare on Elm Street buff, and that all of this is a plan to lure you into my dreamworld *evil laugh*
And Volant is quite a fascinating character, expect surprises with him.

Thanks, guys, I feel lucky and honored to be part of this forum! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

valerio wrote:
laaadies and gentlemennn, DA WINNER!
I hope you didn't start your lessons by relating about my work instead of that history assignment.. :?
It was a Programming Lab. and I did all my work before coming back to my dorm and procrastinating homework.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

valerio wrote:I should also point out that i am total A Nightmare on Elm Street buff, and that all of this is a plan to lure you into my dreamworld *evil laugh*
And Volant is quite a fascinating character, expect surprises with him.
I'll be keeping an eye on Volant to be sure...and hoping for the best possible outcome.

As to the other part...I'm probably the one creature in all the world you wouldn't want to do that with. I know Freddy can be bad, but there are things that lurk in the back of my mind that make him look like a proper English Schoolboy by comparison.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Sometimes i can take a look like from an external viewer....
that's when i realise.
¡IM ON A MADHOUSE ONLINE!

and I LIKE IT!

not a fictional character, but a fictional dog. because he gets a date with a fictional cat.
That didnt make it less disturbing for me man.

Ya' know what, I dont care. IM JEALOUS OF A FICTIONAL DOG AND I DONT CARE!
LET'S FREAK OUT ALL THE PEOPLE !
yay? :?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Stellarium, the Fulcrum, Terrace High

The door slammed open and a Basenji dog ran through it.
It was just a coincidence that today there weren’t visitors or residents, for the Stellarium was the building’s most popular feature, both for the sight it offered, both for the way it offered it.
A single platform extended for 50 feet around the Fulcrum’s top, a platform made of the same materials used for the famous Grand Canyon’s Skywalk. It offered the visitors the sensation of walking in the air while taking a look at the Hexagon Park and its most notable features.
There was another reason why this skywalk had been called like that, but nothing about it mattered to the exhausted, crying canine. He ended his run at the edge of the skywalk, fell on his knees, his ribcage expanding and contracting to an almost unnatural rhythm, his heart beating so fast as to shun all other noises, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as his body desperately tried to regain precious oxygen and cool of at the same time.
He had literally run up over 40 levels worth of stairs. Pent up frustrations, sadness, rage, self-commiseration… All of that and his explosive temper had given him an almost unnatural strength. He had needed to vent, and he didn’t want to harm anyone in the way, especially—
“Kwesi?”
The dog was so tired, he hadn’t even sniffed out her presence. Alandra! The only one among these spoiled pets who had regarded him with respect and not with sympathy for being a pathetic immigrant with his useless glory dreams. “I’m sorry, papa.”
The Maine Coon mix standing behind him stopped in her tracks. She so wanted to comfort him, but he was evidently still lost in his own pain. Just like her the first weeks after losing Antonio…
Kwesi Cira sat down, leaning his back against the glass parapet. He looked at the crumpled picture he still held in his paws. He switched to his native Arabic language. «Papa, I didn’t want to hurt you and mama. I didn’t want to run away from you. I wanted your blessing, I wanted to leave and see you smile at me. Like in this picture. Not remember your scowl. I miss you…» While talking, he kept caressing the picture, desperately wanting for a miracle to happen, reach out the family he had abandoned… Then he coughed, still unable to keep up that simple effort, wanting to collapse, yet too angered to do so.
At that point, Alandra decided to the risk, and she sat down beside the dog. It tore her apart to see him like this and not being able to do something to help him.
But one had to try, at least. She might not be sure she was in love with him, but she felt something for him, and anyway, as his friend, she wouldn’t let him down!
She didn’t speak; no words could help in a moment like this. This was too personal, too deep for circumstance phrases. Right now, Kwesi needed someone next to him, not a speech.
The cat hugged him, trying to transmit comfort, just like Antonio had did so many times with her when she had felt all hopes evaporate, when she thought that her life was supposed to end up soon and in pain…
And like her first lover had did with her in those occasions, she purred.
They spent half an hour in that position, before Kwesi regained control.
“You were right, Ali,” was the first thing he said.
The cat lifted her head from his shoulder. “Uh?”
He looked at her and then down at the ground. It was actually the first moment he realized where he was… And he opened his eyes wide! Among the many experiences he hadn’t tried so far, sitting on a transparent surface while his brain screamed ‘We’re falling you dummy!’ was one he didn’t feel comfortable with.
“Please help me crawl out of here,” he squeaked pitifully, his fur standing up like a carpet of needles, grabbing to the cat for dear life –and man, was he strong, Alandra thought. She was already beginning to feel all the blood draining out of her arm.
The cat stood up, with Kwesi attached to her like an octopus. Only when were they standing on concrete, good ol’ opaque concrete, Kwesi let go of his breath and her arm, and fell sitting on a bench. “I can’t believe it you people like this!”
“Actually, it’s fun!” Alandra chuckled.
“What’s so funny?” he was still in half-panic mode, ears flattened and shackles up.
Alandra thought he looked cute even when he was hungry. He had a really impressive row of pearly teeth. “Nothing, it’s just… Ay sì, you looked so funny when you got scared. You didn’t strike me as the scaredy pup. Sorry.” She chuckled again.
Kwesi blushed. “If you weren’t so cute, I’d hate you.”
It was her time to startle. Did she hear him right? Had he just said—
Kwesi nodded. “During our travels, we met many villages, many other itinerant traders… For a time, my family joined a clan of Tuaregh. Their animal companions were all cats, all Servals. And… I made friend with this female.” He blushed again, but it was short-lived. “Though I still am sure she wanted something to play with because the mice had been all exterminated. Her name was Dassin, it’s the name of a legendary queen, you know…” he leaned back against the bench. “You were right,” he repeated. He let a minute pass in silence before going on. “I had a good life, and since coming here I just tried to convince myself I had done a better choice, but I was wrong.
“You see, I really, really loved the idea of being a trader like father. I knew all the plants and spices, I was good at hunting small prey, I could calculate our position using the stars and I loved meeting new people. That was my life, I was born for it…
“But father said the days of the itinerant traders were coming to an end, that people like him were destined to disappear. He wanted me to study astronomy, put at another use my talents… And so we started arguing, and every time it was worse, because I wouldn’t bend to his will like a good son was supposed to do.
“In the end, we fought really badly. I didn’t understand why he wanted to throw me out, while all I wanted was to carry on the tradition and perhaps, one day, settle down as a farmer.” Kwesi rubbed his temples. These outbursts gave him such headaches! “One day I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I…ran. We had stopped by a harbor, in Egypt. It was there that father would give the spices he had collected in our yearly voyage, in return for other goods we needed.
“I grabbed the occasion and hid into a ship directed to France, and from there I took another to this country.” His voice started trembling. “I did it because I was angry, that’s all. B-But now that I was here I tried to make the best of it, I tried to sign to a school, but all the classes were those stupid obedience stuff, and learning to write and read, and I never got to prove that I could do something better and I ended up from shelter to shelter, I…” He looked at the picture again. The smiling Basenji in the caftan seemed to mock him for his rash decision. “I-I can’t go back, I can’t even tell him I am sorry, I made my choice, I must live with it. And it was all for nothing!” he crumpled the picture and threw it away.
While in mid-air, the wind opened the rough ball, and the picture glided away in the park, soon lost to the sight.
Kwesi wiped away the new tears with his arm. “Thank you, Ali. For coping with me. Huh, this date didn’t exactly go as planned, eh?”
Alandra shrugged. “Actually, I think it went better than planned.”
“Uh?”
She scratched him behind his neck –oh, dear, how he was tense. A hammer would’ve broken against those muscles. “I’m serious. Unless I’m wrong, you never dealt with your turmoil so far. I’m sure that this helped you a lot, though now you can’t feel it.”
He nodded. “Oui. Right now I feel as if I wanted to rip my fur off my body and make a carpet out of it, I was such an idiot.”
“Don’t be hard on yourself.” Alandra stood up. She took his paw in hers. “Listen, there is a school for pets, here. An educational one, like for the humans. And if you want a job, well, what better place than that spice shop? I mean, it’s as if you were destined to end up here!”
“I don’t like much the ‘predestination’ thing, you know.”
The cat shook her head. “So what? In the end, your actions brought you here. You wanted a job? Perhaps you can’t work in a laboratory right now but you can complete your studies and have a job, a job related to what you like most.” Her expression became suddenly stern. “And I won’t accept a ‘no’, nor any other excuse to refuse. If you were sincere, you will not miss this opportunity, or I’ll kick your curly tail into it.”
There followed a minute of silence, before Kwesi grinned. “You know, you’re just like mama. She was the only female who could command papa into obeying.”
Alandra’s tail swished at that. “I don’t know if I should feel flattered. I mean, I want to be your girlfriend, not your—meep!” She clasped her paws against her mouth, but it was too late!
Kwesi just stood there, his mouth agape, his fur standing up again. “You what?”
Alandra sat back down, while placing an arm over her head. “Uh, I mean, I’m not in such a hurry, I mean we are not exactly that friends, meaning that we are not even at the ‘best friend in the whole world’ zone, but you’re sort of attractive, and you’re such a nice guy and…” she grabbed her tail and buried her face into it. “Please kill me.”
“Why should I kill you?”
Her face still buried, she dared to peek with an eye. “Aren’t you upset?”
Now he was smiling. “No, I’m not. Sure, that was a very weird way to express your feelings, but… I’m honored of your consideration.”
Alandra dared to let go of her tail. “Don’t you think I am taking advantage of you?”
The dog shook his head. “No. You were just…sweet. You are the first one in this country who treated me with true dignity. I am honored to be your friend, though it is a bit too soon to talk about being mates. Hm?”
She blushed down to under her collar, but this time for another reason than shame. There was hope!
“And as for your suggestion, I think you are right.” This time it was him to take her paws in his. Alandra felt…protected by that simple gesture. She wished he’d never let go of her. “I think I should attend that school, and try at least to ask for a job at that store. I…” He turned his head, looking toward the horizon, knowing that in that direction lay the country of his family. “One day, I will write to them. I hope they can forgive me.”
“I’m sure they have already.” She snuggled gladly against him. “You need to forgive yourself.”
“You make it sound easy…” he started to reply, before seeing her expression saddening. “Oh, sorry, I—“
She showed a weak smile. “I spent so much time blaming myself for what happened to Antonio. He wanted to protect me, protect my future, and got in the life of fire for that. And I couldn’t do a thing, because I was stupid weak cat.”
“You are not—“
“I know I’m not!” she snapped. “I’m talking about what I used to feel, do you understand? I spent months blaming myself for the death of the one I loved. You spent years blaming yourself for taking a bad decision!” She sighed, her figure deflating.
Kwesi lowered his head, his ears flat. “So, what should I do?” She started when he felt her paw caressing his cheek.
“One thing at a time,” she said softly. “First you rebuild your life, get that job, study…and try to find some time to date me again. I won’t be relegated to the ‘best friends’ zone.”
He chuckled, blushing slightly.
“Then you’ll start writing to your family. That will be your test that you are back in control.”
Kwesi nodded. “Well, father would scold me severely if he saw me taking advices from a female…though it’s true he’d never admit that it was mother who ran the family all the time.” This time, he pecked her cheek. “Thank you. You’re the first one around whom I feel…at peace.” And in saying that, he hoped he had not given away too much.
He didn’t want her to learn about his…true personality. He couldn’t stand losing her, of all things…
But for what concerned her, Alandra hadn’t the least intention to endanger this growing relationship. For now, she was just happy she could be of help, and that Kwesi trusted her –like her, stranger in this strange land filled with wonders and dangers.
The cat wished that nice Mr. Greyfield and his wolf, Light, were here. Perhaps, she could ask Tegan to organize a visit to the Lucky Charm Grove, where he worked—
“Alandra?”
Both she and Kwesi jumped, her fur puffing up. Talk about either being distracted or walking like a ghost! “Ay, Tsuki! Did you want to kill me?” Not to mention the bad timing, right now that she could share some precious intimacy with this ubercute creature…
The white Shiba Inu regarded Alandra with a strange look…as if something was struggling to get out, something she was fighting to keep bottled. Alandra knew that look, her Dad had it every time he had to hide how bad things were when the money had run out…
“Alandra, I am sorry for interrupting you.” To her credit, Tsuki could keep her voice under control, one couldn’t tell her emotions through that. “It’s about Keith Greyfield.”
Alandra knew it even before hearing the rest. Her paw squeezed Kwesi’s, while her head started shaking. No, she didn’t want to hear it, she didn’t want to hear yet another bad news…

SEASON III
Episode 5
FIN
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm liking Alandra and Kwesi more and more. I just hope Alandra will be okayy.
great job, Valerio
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Really nice to see Kwesi opening up to someone. Great job once again Valerio!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Riveting. an emotional rollercoaster. I love it.

can't wait for the next episode.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Alandra and Kwesi are such a cute couple!

Looks like the peace it's over, I hope those news have something good among them.

Awesome !
valerio

Post by valerio »

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season III
Episode 6 – Aftershock
By VALERIO

Miyugi House, Apr. 288, Lev. 28, the Fulcrum, Terrace High

This was what was left of a man.
A handful of memories, gratitude, and a black-framed picture in front of a row of candles, inside a house shrine.
A man named Keith Greyfield.
A soldier, a honorable man, who had retired to live a more peaceful life together with his wolf companion.
A man, who had chosen not to waste his talents, though, and use them as head of security for a shelter. To protect the innocents while other people worked to find them a family.
A man an animal had just killed.
The innocents betrayed by a snake. So…fitting.
Alandra Garcia had lost count of the time spent kneeling in front of the shrine, looking at the picture without seeing it, refusing to believe that yet another kind soul in her life was gone.
Everyone dies: she had to cope with that concept since she was a kitten. Despite her Dad’s attempts to cheer her up, she had never lied to herself. She needed expensive cures, and there was not enough money, it was that simple. She wasn’t worried about her demise, though she was very worried for her Dad. He had never stopped fighting, he would have embraced the ways of crime to provide her the cures…
Then Keith Greyfield and Light had saved him. They had saved him and Keith had given him enough money to move here and cure her.
And Keith had been killed by a snake while trying to defuse a bomb intended to destroy the shelter he worked for.
It was so unfair!
The young Maine Coon mix moved her eyes toward the immobile figure of the female Shiba Inu by her left.
The white dog had been standing there for the last twenty-four hours, without drinking or eating –that was the only visible telltale sign of her stress.
“What will they do with Mr. Greyfield’s body?” Alandra asked.
“It has been cremated. Private funeral, only my Revered Mother was invited.” Since she was Keith’s stepsister. Keith’s wills were simple regarding that matter, apparently he didn’t want to make a how out of his demise. Martin Foster had made sure they were respected.
It was so unfair! Keith needed to be celebrated like the hero he was, not as if he had been leading…a shady life. Everyone must know how good a human he was!
“What will happen to Light?” Alandra asked, trying to distract herself from a new flow of tears threatening to take over, though she was sure she must have run out of them by now.
Tsuki drew in a deep breath, then stood up. “Light-kun will be taken in custody by the shelter. Technically, he’s ownerless now, and they don’t want him to turn feral, especially in his present condition. Apparently, Keith-sama wanted his companion to get the best of treatment should something happen to him.”
Alandra stood up too. “What will you and your Mom do?”
“We will go on with our life, we have a job. Why do you ask?”
Alandra didn’t get it. “I-I thought that…” She shook her head. “I don’t know, is that all? You seem so…detached, as if it didn’t matter! What was Keith, for you?! What—“ she snapped her mouth shut when, turning, Tsuki showed her two steel-hard blue eyes.
“When I was a pup, I grew up in a strict discipline regarding self-control. My Revered Mother was a member of the Japan Navy then, and she had to stay away even for months. Do you have any idea of the times I woke up because of nightmares about her being dead?”
Alandra lowered her head. This time she didn’t stop her tears. “I’m sorry,” she chocked. “I didn’t mean to—“ Then she felt paws over her shoulders. When she dared to raise her head, she saw the hardness gone.
“I know you didn’t. It’s just that Mother and I think that the best way to honor Keith-sama’s death is to live, not consuming ourselves in sorrow. His spirit won’t be at peace if we try to keep it bound to our negative emotions. Do you understand that?”
Alandra nodded. She sniffled, and Tsuki handed her a tissue box. “It’s just that…” she sighed, she didn’t know what to say herself. It was a miracle she was lucid, after spending the last day in far worse conditions… “Now only Light remains, and he’s a prisoner in the place he contributed to save. Can’t you adopt him, at least?”
Tsuki walked to the kitchen, followed by the cat.
The large table was filled with food offerings from the Club’s members and from guests and staff of the Lucky Charm Grove. Everyone had contributed…though, in a way, that display made Alandra even sadder. Keith had no other relatives, no family to mourn him.
Tsuki helped herself to a pitcher of orange juice. “For now, he’s not deemed fit for adoption. He’s been seriously traumatized, he needs time to heal from his inner wounds before leaving the shelter. But yes.”
“Uh?”
“Your question: Mother filled the papers, she wants to take Light. It’s the least we can do for such a honorable creature and to respect Keith’s love for him.”
Alandra felt very relieved. She nodded. “Thank you for allowing me to pray with you. Is there anything I can do for you?”
Tsuki shook her head. “Just go home and rest, you need it.”
Alandra opened her mouth to say something else, but she ended up yawning loudly. She smacked her lips and rubbed her eyes. “Guess I am more tired than I thought. See you, then.” She hugged the dog and walked out. Tsuki didn’t follow her.
When the display over the threshold told her guest had gone, Tsuki drank up the last of the juice from her glass…then threw the object against the wall! The glass shattered with the sound of a small explosion, orange-stained sparks showering the pavement.
The white dog stood there, looking at the mess, her eyes still outstretched in the act of throwing, panting.
Then she sat up on the chair and huddled herself into a ball. “Keith, baka…” she muttered.
---
The moment Alandra stepped out of the apartment, she found a dog sitting on a bench in the corridor. Immediately, the Basenji stood up, a concerned look over his face. “Ali! How are you doing?”
“Kwesi! Were you waiting here all the time?” Nevertheless, she let him wrap her up in his arms. She felt immediately safe, as if could protect him from all harm. She needed him so much, especially now that Dad was at the shelter, talking with that Foster human…
Kwesi chuckled. “Are you surprised?”
She didn’t say anything. She knew he had been there, together with Dad, when she had…collapsed. The last day had been something she’d barely remember, what with between the sedatives and the endless crying. They had to recover het at the veterinarian clinic…which made her remember… “Will you accompany me please?”
The dog nodded. “Sure. Where?”
They started walking toward the elevator. “The clinic. I promised Dr. Rozen that I would let her visit me.”
They stepped into the cabin. “That’s a good idea,” Kwesi said. “Your dad will be back soon, he’d be happier if he found you looking like a ghost.”
As if there was something wrong in looking like one, hmph! Thought the entity hovering behind them. The cat ghost known as Morrigan was sorely tempted to draw these two mortals’ attention, but in the end, given the circumstance, that wouldn’t be a good idea.
The elevator stopped, and the smell of the level dedicated to the medical facilities assaulted their noses. There had been a long argument between Gottschalk and the architects that had designed the compound.
The first idea had been to build a separated hospital/veterinarian mixed structure, much like Babylon Garden’s Haichiko Mercy, but the landlord wasn’t happy with the idea of a place of pain in full sight in a park dedicated to recreational activities.
Following that reasoning, the architects had proposed to create the medical facilities level in the underground section. That too had been rejected since Gottschalk didn’t want the patients getting a severe case of depression for being entombed during their recovery.
No, the medical facilities better be located in one of the non-residential levels. Sure, they were a stark contrast with the rest of that section, since it was dedicated to commercial activities, but Gottschalk was sure people felt better knowing they could count on a medical service when needed, with all the commodities one could ask for, and close to their homes. Since all residents also worked at the Fulcrum, they felt more relaxed at the idea they could visit their beloved pets and their familiar anytime rather than taking extended leaves only to reach the clinic.
All of this didn’t put Kwesi and Alandra at ease. Kwesi had never had a good relationship with veterinarians, and had grown a tad paranoid about them. Alandra had learnt to associate ‘vet’ with ‘long stay’ and ‘awful-tasting medicines’.
“I’m happy you’re here,” she said, squeezing his paw.
“Me too,” he almost whispered. “Please don’t leave me now… Who chuckled?” he asked, moving his head, his fear leaving place to irritation.
He looked around, but there was no one nearby –no one he could see.
Morrigan stood there behind him, covering her mouth with her paws.
“You’re imagining things,” Alandra said. “Come on, let’s get this over with. I want to sleep until doomsday and you need to apply for that job at the spice store. Don’t you think I forgot you promised me.”
Kwesi wagged. “You don’t need to remind me. I will be happy to.” It had come out when an unexpected turn of coincidence had brought them to the Ancient Road spice shop –a shop whose owner bought most of his goods from Kwesi’s biological father! “But first you must take care of yourself: How do you expect me to start my new life without worrying about you?”
Because everyone who cares about me dies. She pushed that thought back as soon as she formulated it. Light was suffering, but he was alive. Dad was alive, and Kwesi had not an enemy in the world, and he was young and strong.
Like Antonio.
They entered the clinic. Just in time to see the owner, a woman, giving a treat to a canine patient. They sat down on a bench in the waiting room –the three of them that is.
Morrigan wanted to hug the poor cat. She could perceive every thought coming from her mind, the shadows growing thick... The poor dear was growing up too fast for her age, she needed something to ease off the pain. She was Kwesi’s light, and should she became a burden to him, their newborn relationship would end up in a disaster!
But what could a honest-to-Tabby ghost do? Stupid incorporeality!
While Doctor Constance Rozen turned her attention to Alandra, Morrigan stood there sitting, pensively tapping her chin with a claw…
Then she beamed up! Of course! But her enthusiasm was short lived, as right then did she notice that Kwesi was staring with gaping mouth at the mirror…were her figure was perfectly reflected! Whoops! She grinned apologetically, a moment before vanishing.
Alandra was on the study’s door, when she turned and saw Kwesi rubbing his eyes. “Something wrong?”
The dog just shook his head. When he looked back, the mirror was empty.
Ali was right he was starting to imagine things…
Last edited by valerio on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.