Temporal Coincidences

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Temporal Coincidences

Post by copper »

A few messed up sentences and wrong words there.... might want to read through it one more time.

So if Sam is Al now, is Al Sam? Did they do the old body switch maneuver? Classic.

Maria stole the card... are you sure Sam is good at his job? This story does not really show it.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

copper wrote:So if Sam is Al now, is Al Sam? Did they do the old body switch maneuver? Classic.

Maria stole the card... are you sure Sam is good at his job? This story does not really show it.
I once got it confused with the Heimlich maneuver.

It didn't turn out okay. Though I technically saved the guy who was choking by giving him a new throat, so I did good, right?

And we have already made it clear, time and time again, that Samuel over here is no Jackson.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

copper wrote:Maria stole the card... are you sure Sam is good at his job? This story does not really show it.
Well, when it gets close to a start of a mission, he gets somewhat careless from thinking too much about it. I think this has happened at least twice so far. XD (Just a case of extreme bad luck or is it?)
Silly Zealot wrote:And we have already made it clear, time and time again, that Samuel over here is no Jackson.
Err... you beat me to that! even though technically you did write that one first in the BR file XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

A3 - File 11: *Action Movie Theme Song Plays at the Bac-AAAH

Post by GeckoZY »

A friendly random reminder to all readers: Do not leave your barbecues unattended, cats are really sneaky...

File 11: *Action Movie Theme Song Plays at the Background*

Sam entered the kitchen through the backdoor. He noticed the extraction team preparing to strike, brandishing a full array of tranquilizer guns and restraining apparatuses. Sam noticed a familiar figure within the group, the communications officer who had the annoying habit of calling everyone above him in the chain of command “sire”.

-“Hey Bob! Stop the operation, somebody is planning something and they’ve for some reason, turned me into a dog!”- Said Sam, wasting no time to contemplate whether the direct approach was the most suitable one for the situation at hand.

-“Unauthorized personnel - especially civilians - aren’t allowed in this area. This is an official special police business. Who are you? How did you know my name? ”

-“I am Sam! Somebody took my body somehow and put me into this dog!!!”

-“How can you be Sam? Sam is right here.”- Replied Bob, with no small measure of annoyance.

Maria entered the room just in time to witness the doberman Sam being confronted by the human ‘Sam’, who had just entered the kitchen through the restaurant’s management office door.

-“Sire, this dog over here thinks that he’s you.”- Said Bob with a mix of amusement, as well as embarrassment, for uttering such a phrase out loud. -”A most outrageous claim, is it not?”

-“Quite so!”- Replied the bemused body-snatcher. -”Especially since I know who these two are.”- Both Maria and Sam (The dober-man) were taken aback by the impostor’s remark. -”They are working for our rivals from that other “organization”. They should be apprehend, to prevent them from interfering. And if we get them back alive, they can tell a thing or two about their operations, won’t you agree?”- The doppelganger concluded with an evil smirk.

-“No, don’t give me that! I’m the real Sam! He’s Alfons! He’s conspiring against the organization!!”- Exclaimed Sam in utter desperation.
Bob looked at the rest of the extraction team’s members and nodded his head. As they raised their rifles to fire upon the fluffy duo, Maria suddenly rushed towards the nearest door, moving further inwards into the restaurant.

-“Run!!!”- She yelled, running under the legs of the closest soldier.

Sam did not need to hear the warning twice, and started running behind the cat, following her into the restaurant’s dining area.

---Nothing interesting here! The next file will be the last for the archive.

Brunolf and Grey were still eating inside the restaurant, this time enjoying a couple of tasty pastries, when they heard a familiar voice coming from the kitchen.

-“Run!!!”

Brunolf caught sight of Maria dashing through the counter, followed closely by “Alfons”. Brunolf and Grey did not stop to think twice before getting up and running off after them.

-“Hey! What are we running away from? Is this a game?”- The husky asked in all his trademarked innocence.

The sound of a shot, along with the subsequent impact noise made sure to correct Grey’s assumption. It was then that Brunolf noticed a dart hitting one of the trees lining boulevard.

Brunolf and Grey finally caught up with the Maria and her dober-man companion at the side of rather large storage building.

-“Okay! How did lunch suddenly turned into something like this? I thought this was supposed to be a spot for eating, not shooting! They have dart guns!”

Maria was the one to answer the question. -“It’s a bit complicated to explain right now, but you can say that they want to capture you and If they do capture us, we’ll probably be in a worse position than you.”

The four noticed a nearby bridge supported by large columns. They crossed the street and ran towards one of it, in hopes of finding shelter from the immediate fire. A strange feeling crept through their bodies as a sudden smog began to appear in the air, odd for a lightly travelled road. Visibility shrunk to mere a couple of meters ahead in just a few seconds, just giving them enough time to reach the pillar.

They took a peek on the pursuing men, who were still scanning the area, obscured by the thick haze covering the road. The pillar and dust effectively blocked any view of the bridge from across the street.

“Hey guys, they’ll probably not notice us from this side. We could probably cross the bridge without letting any of them know that!”

The four of them started walking along the bridge’s sides. The cat was lagging behind a bit, seemingly scared of the water rushing below her.

“You seem to be much more talkative right now, Al. Your owner... err... I mean, partner, told me that you were kinda shy. You seem less scary than usual.”

~Oh yeah, they know Al. I should try to get some more info from them about him.~ “I’m... actually Al’s brother. I’m Samuel...”

“Meister?”

-“Yes. Samuel Meister.”

-“Samuel? That doesn’t sound Germa-”

A convertible, blasting some loud music, passed by the bridge. It started playing the opening theme song of James Bond, probably from the upcoming film they were promoting. The group continued treading along the edge, noticing the odd appropriateness of the music.

“That car made me feel like I’m in an action movie. This feels so exciting.”, exclaimed Grey, whose tail started wagging a bit yet again.

“Hey! Stop comparing this to an action movie! This is real. And we’ll be doomed if they catch us, trust me.”

“There they are! They’re running along the bridge. Capture them!” - shouted one of the extraction team’s members, unintentionally proving Sam’s words.

“They’re catching up! We can never outrun them like this...” He checked the surroundings, looking for other escape routes. There was only one left. ”We should just jump-off this bridge instead, that way they won’t be able to catch up”, shouted the doberman.

“No!! I’m not going to jump into that!”, said the cat. “That’s freezing turbulent water!”

“Same here!”, Brunolf agreed, remembering his plane trip. This was too risky to do. The rocks and the fast river currents were visible below, making him freeze in fear.

“It’s the only way. If they get to us, they’ll have much less mercy than the freezing waters.”

The dog grabbed the cat and jumped off the bridge.

“That looks fun! Yippee!”

Brunolf, staring at the river, reluctant to jump into the raging river, got tackled by Grey off the bridge.

The extraction team stopped at the edge of the bridge where the four leaped and looked below. It wasn’t clear if the fall would be survivable, given the bridge’s height, the rough currents and the rocks jutting out the surface of the stream. They surely were unwilling to jump in pursuit, seeing how that would be fruitless attempt in any way. They just continued looking below, searching for signs of the four escapees.

ITSEEMSTOLACKSOMEEXPLOSIONSWHERE'STHATDETONATOR?

மீண்டும் படித்து நன்றி! அடுத்த மேம்படுத்தல் செவ்வாய் கிழமை. நான் இந்த மொழி பெயர்ப்பு நம்புகிறேன்.
El Psy Congroo
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Fun fact - finale of Archives 3 and Gecko's birthday are at the same day. As, I guess, pretty much everyone found out.
Anyway, this fic has just earned its name!

File 12: Alright! We’ll Give You an Ending!

The four of them fell downwards and braced for what would surely be a really hard impact on the river’s turbulent waters or, possibly, with a patch of spiky rocks.
They felt nothing.

-“Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! I don’t want to get wet or- Wait!... Dying would probably be worse! I’m too young to die!”- Maria cried in despair.

-“Uhm... guys, I’m not sure how we’re doing this but, apparently we’re not really falling anymore!”- Grey exclaimed, still stuck in a tackling position over Dmitri.

They looked down and, to their amazement, found themselves levitating between the underside of the bridge, and the raging stream of the river below.

At first glance, and at second and third as well, it appeared as if Sam and Dmitri were supporting both themselves and their other two companions in what seemed to be an anti-gravity field that was enveloping the entire group, as their hands emitted a faint reddish glow.

-“Cool!”- Exclaimed Grey, wagging his tail in absolute excitement -“The two of you have superpowers! Wooh!”

-“Uhh, guys. Can we move towards something solid? We’re kinda still over water...” -Maria’s fur was standing on end, and her claws protruded from her paws as if to trying to cling onto something to stop the already interrupted fall.

-“Hey, your claws hurt, you know?!”- Was the cold answer from the dober-man.

-“More reason for you to get us to dry land!”

---

After several minutes, the levitating sphere that both Sam and Dmitri were sustaining managed to settle on dry land, though not without the occasional 20 feet drops and and a great many twirls around itself. Attempting to control the sphere proved to be quite exhausting for the two of them, as if they were being forced to lift a ton’s worth of heavy objects with their bare hands, while slowly and carefully ground.

-“Dry land! Finally! How did you get those powers?”

The cat stared at the dober-man. ~So this was the reason why he’s following this ‘Subject’. I should ask the organization about this.~ She thought to herself.

Sam was remembering his mission. He had not been informed about the Subject possessing any powers at all. He had merely been tasked to extract him. Simple as that. As he pondered on this, he also came to wonder why would his new dog body have the same powers as well. How is was it related to Dmitri?

~I can’t really go back to the organization, they’ll capture me immediately! Who will believe that I’m the real Sam? The only person who truly knows me in the organization is Karl, but I have lost all means to contact him. Infiltrating the main headquarters would be impossible, I need to meet him in a different place... somewhere like... his vacation home! Yes!, I should attempt to contact him there!”~ Sam looked at the rest of the group, and began to speak, trying to devise a plan on how to turn his current situation on his favor. -“I think that we’re pretty safe down here, but we might need to find a way to get away from this town soon! Are you guys heading anywhere in particular?”

-“We were planning on heading to Moscow, probably fix some papers then head to Austria to visit Grey’s family over there.”- Dmitri replied.

Sam smiled in satisfaction for a second. ~Nice!, Now I just need some way to get money for this. My cards were left with my body, and I don’t have any back-ups for that!~ -“I lost my wallet during the chase. I might need some cash if I am going to follow you.”

-“Uh... I... actually have your company card. You obviously have a lot of money in this thing!”- Maria interjected, giving the dober-man a sly grin before pulling the card out from her collar.

-“How did you get that?!”

-“You were a bit clumsy back in the train, you left it at the buffet’s counter. You were getting excited of your mis-”

-“I’ll take that back!”- Sam snatched the card right from Maria’s paws, much to her chagrin. As he grabbed the card, he tried to look for a place to keep it safe. It was then that he remembered about pets using their collars for storage.

~Hmm...- Sam started to ponder. -I should just put it in here. Hopefully, this card is probably a secret between just me and Karl. Now whoever planned this won’t be able to keep me away from my funds! Speaking of the people who chased us, who are those two guys exactly? What are they planning to do with my body? They are clearly not from that cat’s organization.~

His train of thought was interrupted by what he initially thought was a cry for help.

-“Stop! Please stop!! My face is getting wet!”

The screams made Maria and Sam turn to see Grey stepped over Dmitri, licking his face in joy.

-“Thank you for saving me!!”- He said before launching his big, drooly tongue against Dmitri’s face. -“Nice powers, by the way!”- He added, before resuming the lick-athon.

Maria then stared back at the dober-man for moment, a strange thought crossing her mind. Her head tilted and her face, pondering about what would come to happen if....

She laughed under her breath.

-“No! I’m not going to start to act like that!”

---

The figure wearing Sam’s body stood at the edge of the bridge. Another man, whose appearance gave him the looks of a twenty-something year old, approached him, putting his hand on former’s shoulder.

-“Our mini-operation was a success, they thought that you were the real Sam. Now we just need to get some more information on their project.”- Said Rick.

-“You know, B, sometimes I doubt your plans but, fortunately, this time, it actually worked!... Although not exactly as planned. Still, that mini dust storm was a nice touch.”- Replied Alfons, through Sam’s mouth.

-“Shh, Don’t say that out loud!, That thing is already hard enough to maintain without making it look too suspicious. And a lot of my plans have worked before! I’m just a bit worried for C, there.”- Rick tilted his head towards the river. -“I hope he made it safely from that fall.”

-“I think he did, Sam was also with him, after all. I’m pretty sure at least one of them must have discovered everything, already. Plus, I think C’s pretty much invincible, Right? Didn’t he fall 8000 feet and survived, back in Korea?”

-“Yeah, I reckon you are right.”- Rick paused for a brief second Anyway, I better head back to my place, now. I don’t want them to start distrusting you.... Sam.”

-“I’ll wait until you contact me again, then. Have a safe trip, man. Although you’ve been cautious for all these years, I’m pretty sure you can survive without me. Remember...... It’s all for Rain.”

The two men shaked hands and then turned their backs on each other, both of them heading to the opposite ends of the bridge. One of them would later head towards the top, searching for the Light he had long sought; While the other would go down below, to hide in the shadows...

<BARELY_RELEVANT_TEXT>IHAVENOTHINGMORETOSAY!</BARELY_RELEVANT_TEXT>

Unless Gecko decides to change everything dramatically just for fun, you'll hear from us again in just two days with Archive 4. Have a nice time!
Last edited by VEB152 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

It's "more reason for you to get us to dry land!", Not "More reasoning."

Why can't you E-mail me if you think something I wrote is out of place?
I'll PM you more corrections for this file in a few moments.

And, what?!
Gecko's birthday is today?! I better go congratulate him!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

Silly Zealot wrote:It's "more reason for you to get us to dry land!", Not "More reasoning."

Why can't you E-mail me if you think something I wrote is out of place?
I'll PM you more corrections for this file in a few moments.

And, what?!
Gecko's birthday is today?! I better go congratulate him!

1)Fixed!
2)Erm.... Because... Okay, I have no excuse for that.
3)I'll be waiting, then!
4)Well, it still is for some of the time zones. Limited time offer is ending, some of you still can get one of those fancy supersonic fighters and get to the place where it's still 9th of July! Be sure to hurry and transfer some money to my bank account congratulate Mr. WriterZY should you want to! :)
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

There are still some mistakes here and there...
hitting one of the trees lining boulevard.
Grey finally caught up with the Maria
They took a peek on the pursuing men
proved to be quite extenuating for the two
(exhausting you mean?)

And others, but whatever.

Happy Birthday Gecko! I hope you had a good day! :D
My characters
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

To Silly Zealot - okay, thanks! I've added your corrections.

To copper - what do you mean, "but whatever"? If you think there are many fixes to be applied AND want them to be actually made, then just press that small yet tempting "PM" button!
And yes, I fixed all of your latest suggestions that I could. Thanks!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Apparently, now it turns out that I have a tiiiiiiiny case of massive dislexia.

GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Thanks for the birthday greetings everyone!
Silly Zealot wrote:Apparently, now it turns out that I have a tiiiiiiiny case of massive dislexia.
I always occasionally have a huge case of minor craziness on really dry rainy days.

Archives 4: A Flight to the Light and the Shadow

File 1: Heat and Run

The spring sun was shining brightly. Several groups of people walked along the riverside boulevard, heading for their respective businesses. They were greeted by an odd sight, several figures climbing up the dike’s ledge, seemingly coming from the river’s waters. The man, two dogs and a cat sighed in relief after noticing that none of their pursuers were anywhere in sight.

“Why didn’t you just use your levitation mumbo jumbo to bring us up? Climbing up that steep cliff is tiring, and we need to get back to that train pronto! My claws are already hurting from the climb.”

“The people can’t see us do that, you know that we shouldn’t attract that much attention. And don’t talk to me about your claws hurting. I’m not even used to do this paws.”

“All right then, mister. smarty pants, just don’t be surprised when I’ll have to ride on your back soon.” She stuck out her tongue quick enough for the doberman to not see it.

The two other members of the group looks at the two arguing about their current situation.

Grey remembers something familiar to the scene that is unfolding in front of him.

His smirked caught the attention of the doberman immediately, unlike the cat earlier reaction. “I seems to sense a lover’s quarrel in han- Oomph!”

The doberman tackled him. And even though the husky is much more heavier and bigger than the doberman, the doberman’s raw strength was able to hold him down.

“Hey, don’t associate me to that cat. We’re not friends! We’re not even partners!”

Brunolf was chuckling at the three, who were already creating a fuss in the surroundings. He looked around the area, surveying the environment. He noticed a small detail, flashing in an establishment, a theater to be exact. The time that was flashing through the sign says 1:12 pm. The train will be leaving in just 18 minutes!

“Hey guys... we have a problem. It’s already 1:12 err... 13 in the afternoon and if I remembered correctly, the train is bound to leave at 1:30! We need to hurry.”

The three pets nodded and the group started dashing towards the station. As they were about to reach the corner of the station. The doberman stopped then blocked the rest of them from continuing onwards.

“Guys, they’re checking everyone who enters and exits the station.” He knelt down, panting and trying to catch his breath. “We need to look for another way in.”

It was already 1:21 pm. The sun was still high above the sky, bathing them with its warmth. The cat scanned the area for some other ways into the station. A small empty alleyway caught her attention.

“Hey guys, I think I know the way in.”

---

The cat had led them to one of the sides, at the corner where the track met the edge of the station. The 10 feet high concrete fence covering the back was much lower and empty than those covering the front. The cat hopped up the fence through a series of jumps in the surrounding boxes and trees and eventually reaching the top of the fence.

The cat looked inside the fence.

“The coast is clear. Nobody’s in the area.”

The trio stared at the cat. Still wondering how were they supposed to climb up the high barrier.

“We’re not really cats you know, we can’t just climb walls like that. It’s not like we have wings and capable of flyi-” Said Sam. Cutting his sentence short before he can actually humiliate himself again in front of his new companions.

“But we’re not yet even good at doing that, the adrenaline really helped a lot for the previous scene.” Exclaimed Dmitri. Still wondering whether it was all just a dream.

“Just try it, you two are really lazy people, uhh... dog too... You can probably lift Grey up first, I’m pretty sure you’re both capable of carrying that dog together.”

“Yey! I get to go first!” Running for the wall and attempting to grab for the small grooves on the wall to climb up, an attempt that was clearly futile.

After that short bit of entertainment, the two started concentrating on the area where the dog was standing. Trying to do what they did earlier in the afternoon. Their hands started glowing red although it was really faintly at the moment.

“Uhh guys, I feel heavier right now...” Now, comically struggling to stand up, as if he was in a trapped room where the walls press in.
“Sorry, wrong direction.”, replied Brunolf.

The two switched the directions that their hands were pointing from the original lifting position to the pushing down position. Grey floated, albeit slowly, to the top of the fence. He immediately grabbed the ledge and started pulling himself up, just as the cat stopped the dog.

“Grey, stop moving.” Whispered Maria, pushing down the snout of the curious husky. “The two of you could probably start bringing yourselves up here. I see one of the pursuers exiting the train.”

Grey and Maria looked at the person. He was clearly part of the extraction team that chased them earlier, based on his attire. He was just exiting the last train car and pressing into his ear, clearly reporting to someone.

“This is 8R363N2, we have cleared the whole train.”

Luckily, the man was right underneath both of them on the fence. Oblivious of the characters spying on him, he continued his report, just loud enough for the two to hear.

“There seems to be no signs of the group. They couldn’t have returned and hide into that train in a really short period of time. And with this sweep, 5 minutes before departure, we could confirm their absence. I suggest that we start looking through the river, or other trains and buses.”

The man left the area, giving Maria the signal to call the three. They were now all hanging on the ledge of the fence, struggling to stay there before continuing their climb up.

“So, are you all just going to hang around there?”

They eventually reach the top, and in a similar fashion, went down it. After reaching the train platform, they promptly entered the train with just under 2 minutes to spare.

“Phew!!! That was close! Grey, you need to start exercising. I know that you’re a ‘growing dog’, but don’t let that be a reason to gain weight from eating excessively.”

“Hey!”

And with that word, the train doors closed and the whole train started advancing. The four stayed in the corridor for a few minutes, watching the platforms of the station move away from them, leaving their misled pursuers behind as well.

They were now getting closer and closer to the end of this train ride, that was getting too weird for any of them in the last few days. They need some explanations to this. How did he get the power? Why does he have it? And why are there a number groups interested of getting him? Hopefully, Dmitri thought, this may be answered in the next few days. The train entered the nearby forest reserve, giving him the courage to finally relax.

SOMERELEVANTTEXT;THISLINEISIMPROPERLYLABELLED

친구들은 나에게 어떤 차를 얻는다. 나는 독서에 대한 감사를 의미한다! 다음 업데이트는 아마 토요일에있을 것입니다.
El Psy Congroo
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, at least now He can tell the truth about being Dmitri and the prison and all.... no need for Brunolf anymore. :roll:
My characters
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

copper wrote:Well, at least now He can tell the truth about being Dmitri and the prison and all.... no need for Brunolf anymore. :roll:
Yes! Yes! Oh , please trillions and trillions of times yes!!!!!!!

I'm sick and tired of trying to find a balance between the two [flimsy] names!

VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

Flimsy names?!*
FLIMSY?!!!!
That's it - if I ever survive this fanfic, I'll write one, where main characters' names will be Grzegorz Przybyszewski and Engelbert Hydapater!
((please, do NOT take this too seriously. Though that Polish name sounds fun))
*"Flimsy" and "Weird" can be synonyms in this case... Right?

File 2: A Ride to the Past

At least one of the groups was concerned about the recent incident in the restaurant.

“They got ambushed?!”

“Yes, sir. Looks like 2002/5 was right after all. She called us fro--”

“I remember that report, and I even know why didn’t we provide them with any help.”

The man in the military uniform wrote something on the piece of paper.

“Send this message to all the stations train yet has to stop at. We have to know if they managed to get back on it, or not, as soon as possible.”

“Yes, sir!”

The man was left alone in the hall. One of its walls - the one he was actually looking at - was covered by the screens, that were showing the map of the world, tracking movements of most of their agents. One of the few, who didn’t receive the new transmitters yet, and were not shown on it, was №2002/5. Maria Kovrova.

It was her first real task for the CNS company, gathering information about the border control forces of the neighbouring nations. Her mission was over, when on the way back she has noticed that strangely-looking man, who was waiting for something to happen - or someone to come - on the snowy hill next to the border. He was carrying a gun, but his location and appearance made her interested in following him. She informed the center of her new undertaking, as soon as she found out where he was heading. Since he was heading westwards, she was allowed to do so. Now she was wondering if it was the right choice.

General was thinking about it as well. It was one of the most unusual situations for him for a very long time.

With Maria being his pet cat, she was the only “employee” of the company, who was the part of his family in any way. She got adopted in 2004 - while the cat was dreaming of home, he wanted to have someone he could talk to, and call his relative. Before that his only support in adult life was his own motherland. Sadly, it was no good in talking to and spending all the rare free time he had with - unlike the cat, who was always next to him, always excited about new faces, facts, and especially about her owner’s (who she soon got used to calling “father”) job. Two years of living under the same roof and 20 movies about spies later, she decided to work with him one day. Needless to say, he was much less excited about this idea.

Her first job experience was far away from what she had seen before. She was given the task of relaying the messages between different branches of the agency and the main HQ in Moscow, and to supply them with reports received from Lisbon to Helsinki - Europe, in other words. That kept her interested for a while, but the time passed... and nothing changed. Something that was unusual and exciting for Maria at first, was slowly becoming regular routine, despite the fact that her workplace was far from usual. She was ‘subtly’ hinting it to ‘father’, and he understood her wish, remembering himself being an excited teenager back in 1970s. Soon enough, he gave in to her requests, hoping that she will not like the whole idea of walking kilometer after kilometer through the snow, or along the empty road in the summer heat... It seemed like a good way of giving the cat a “reality check”.

Now it was questionable. And despite being known as a strict commander, he was still caring about every single man (and pet) working under his commands. Needless to say, he was not happy with the news from Nizhny Novgorod. And he will stay unhappy for at least 4 more hours, until the train crawls to its next stop along the river. He was missing his dear friend for the first time in a long time.

She couldn’t wait to come back home as well, to finally end this not-so-glamourous journey across the country, and, probably come back to working with the radio and maps, relaying the words between the people. She was not far away from there, anyway.

And she admitted - for the first time in her life - that her “daddy” was right. Spy games and competition between two powerful companies were too big for her to be noticed and to make any difference. The only thing that has changed so far, is that Maria’s fur was too close to be soaking wet again.

---

Grey and Dmitri were with Sam in their compartment. After spending the first three hours of the trip still slightly terrified and shocked, the two decided that talking about something else would be much better than silence. The three were having a mostly random conversation about Sam’s background, although the husky was in the verge of sleeping, and barely participated.

“So, where are Al and Rick? Aren’t they with you? What happened to them?”

~Oh no, I forgot that I told them about Al being my brother.~ “Err... they left the train earlier that day. I was able to warn them before the incident, and they have probably left by bus or boat. I’m sure they were able to get away.”

The doberman remembered seeing his room upon arrival. He wanted to check whether he still has his equipment, especially since his apparatus, communication devices and papers were all in there. But, to his dismay, his abductors had taken everything from the compartment.

~I’ll try to stick with these two over here. I must bring them to Karl and show him what really happened. But for now, I should probably just start acting like a dog. Hmm, I wonder if I really should try imitating Grey’s behaviour?~

Maria entered the room with a loud yawn, and sat next to Dmitri.

“Maria, what happened to your partner, Samuel Adams? He’s not in the train, right?” he asked.

The cat was thinking of an answer. She obviously couldn’t tell them the truth, that Sam was inside the compartment, looking like a dog. She quickly recalled all of her lengthy trip, remembering that she wasn’t really accompanying Sam during the earlier parts of it. She stretched, further delaying the reply:
“He got off at Nizhny Novgorod as well. Actually, I just met him on the train a few stations back. We had tickets for the same compartment, coincidentally.”

“Isn’t it weird that he sponsored the whole party a few days ago, given that you have just met?”

“He was...” - she coughed, in an attempt to not smile or laugh - ”...kind-hearted. He was willing to spend anything when it comes to pets. He even gave me his compartment, so that I can stay there freely.”

The cat gave the doberman a quick grin, something that the other two didn’t notice, looking at each other in slight disbelief. The doberman just stared angrily at Maria for a second.

“I guess I’m already getting too dro-” - she yawned again - “-owsy. I guess I’d better get back to my room. Are you going, Sam?”

“Yes, I think we’d better get going, Grey, here, is sleeping already.”

The sound of a snore enveloped the room as the two waved goodbye to Dmitri and left. The latter couldn’t sleep due to the noise, emanating from the husky. Dmitri tried shifting the husky’s position, moving his head around to find that right spot that would minimize the sound. Eventually, he gave up the search, layed down on his bed and sighed in defeat.

He decided to just think of something, something that would eventually make him sleep. Sadly, his “train” of thoughts always lead him back to what happened earlier that day. The chase, the powers, the other pets? How does he fit into all that nonsense? Should he be scared of what could possibly happen the moment he reaches Moscow? ...Or if he will even get to the city?

Dmitri kept returning to thinking of all that stuff- the uncertainties, the probabilities. Did the car accident he remembered from a few years ago start all that? Was the beginning even earlier than that? His mind continued to dwell on these questions, until eventually everything faded into a dream.

THISUPDATEISNOTSPONSOREDBYANTI-SNORINGMEDICAMENTSPRODUCERS

See you next time, and fly safely use RZhD trains! have a nice day!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

And so they sleep, unaware of what is awaiting them upon their arrival in the next station.

Um, mistake?
“I guess I’m already getting too dro-” - she yawned again - “-owsy. I guess I’d better get back to my room. Are you going, Sam?”

“Yes, I think we’d better get going, Grey, here, is sleeping already.”
Didn't they just get done saying that Sam is gone and Sam the dog is al? That is quite the slip of the tongue...
My characters
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: A3 - File 11: *Action Movie Theme Song Plays at the Bac-

Post by Obbl »

Nope :P
GeckoZY: Archive 3, File 11 wrote:“You seem to be much more talkative right now, Al. Your owner... err... I mean, partner, told me that you were kinda shy. You seem less scary than usual.”

~Oh yeah, they know Al. I should try to get some more info from them about him.~ “I’m... actually Al’s brother. I’m Samuel...”

“Meister?”

-“Yes. Samuel Meister.”
Sam likes his name the way it is :lol:
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Glad to know you are also enjoying this story, Obbl, I hope you stick around, for there are more body swappings in the next file (Bob gets turned into a plant.), and then a group of martians, with alien house pets of their own, land on Austria.... And are body swapped too.

Alright, not really, but wouldn't that leave you trying to contain the laughter?

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Obbl follows everything, he just lurks in the shadows, waiting to give me grief on things. :roll:
My characters
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Yes, we have a new problem of distinguishing Sam 'Meister' (Samuel Adams) vs Sam 'Adams' (Alfons Meister).

And... You just made Obbl seem a bit more scary.
El Psy Congroo
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Nananananananana [Insert your preferred song lyrics here.]

File 3: Good Morning Am- erm... Germany!

32,000 feet above Germany, 18 minutes to landing.

Al was sitting on one of the first class seats, which had been kindly provided by the Organization. He didn’t want to join the rest of the extraction crew on their way to their base, since he was planning on meeting their leader, to extract more information from him on the research arm of the company.

Just then, the pilot’s voice emerged from the cockpit’s radio.

[“Good morning everyone, this is your captain speaking. We’ll be landing in a couple of minutes. It is now 2:32 in the morning and we will be arriving 10 minutes earlier than the schedule. Ground temperature is now at a chilly 5 degrees celsius. The weather is expected to be either partly cloudy to cloudy with a 60 percent chance of precipitation. Visibility is a good at more than 8 kilometers. In preparation for landing, we will now prepare for the landing procedures. Have a pleasant morning and thank you for flying along with us.”]

As the sound of the radio died down, the flight attendants began aiding the passengers to prepare for the landing by opening a couple of closed windows, stowing the tray tables, and adjusting the seats. A number of people kept trying to regain some of their sleep, after the radio announcement had woken them up. Al was holding a number of documents passed on to him by Rick, which revealed some of the little information they have gathered on Sam.

~Due to tight security, nobody really knows who the boss is, except for their close advisors. That’s is kind of weird. There is always that one group who does know the leader, but even with their help, we still would not be able to trace him. The only real lead we have of their boss’ identity is that Sam is directly connected to the leader of the Silverore Organization.~

The man-turned-dog-turned-man-again looked at the opposing side of the sheet of paper the note had been written in, which contained some more information about the Organization.

~The Organization is loosely structured. Each branch is directed by an advisor who is the sole one in direct contact to the boss. Each advisor, along with their appointed branch, is highly independent. Advisors rarely interact with each other, with most interactions mediated by the boss himself or herself. Sam here is the head of the communications and extraction branch and is the only known advisor to the boss that we know of. A piece of information that the other organization managed to extract from the depths of Russia with a lot of effort on their part.~

Al began to review his plans.

~How should he confront the head? Being the big boss of this organization makes him a lot more superior than what I am. I need to know the current whereabouts of that research firm. Every information in the servers stops at 1989 with the group V52. After that, no information on the research group exists. But the continued existence of 152C and their attempts to capture him proved that the group did survive 1989.~

Al neatly arranged the papers and placed them in his envelope. He gazed outside at the view of a slumbering yet bright city. A lot has changed in Germany ever since they’ve ran away from it and hid all around Europe, a difficult experience for him, since he was turned into a dog.

-“It’s good to be back again...”

---

Karl was staring at the reports strewn around his table. Most of them are about the failed extraction operation in Nizhny Novgorod, while some are just daily reports he receives from his advisers. He was awake the whole night, knowing that his friend will be coming, even though with sad news for the company, given that they haven’t found the Subject in the river, nor at the train. They must have gone through a different route, given that the subject was pretty much damage proof, a miracle for the technology in the 1960s but a something that horrified him when he thought about it.

A message flashed through one of the monitors in front of him, monitors that surround him, such that anyone in the room can never see him while he’s inside, and his voice automatically altered to the outside ear.

He pressed a button and then heard a synthesized voice, -“Let him in.”.

A man entered the room. A man Karl was always fond of and had been his best friend over the past 5 years, even after gaining control of the company.

---

“You have failed me. You know that the subject is important for the company. And for that you should be punished!” Karl said, with his usual altered voice.

Al was now visibly nervous, after passing through a tight screening, he got to meet the boss, someone that could, as he thought, get really horrifying when it came to failed assignments.

~At least I’ve reached this far. Ironically, he didn’t factor this into the plan. Sorry, rain.~

A section of the wall that separated him from the chief opened, creating some hissing sounds as the pneumatics started working.

A german shepherd appeared out of the door and started running towards the man. He stopped a few steps in front of him and sat.

“Hey Sam! What are you waiting for?” The dog’s tail started wagging profusely. ”As your boss, you are obligated to scratch my head. You know the spot!”

The man was dumbfounded. ~This is the boss? A dog? That is completely messed up! A dog runs the largest secret organization in the world, controlling entire governments and companies with his hands... err... paws. How was this possible.~

Karl was clearly not amused at the man, he still hasn’t started scratching his head and was just staring at him with an almost blank expression.

“Okay, let me guess, you just wanted to ask me about the subject, and why we did that, right? You’re really annoying when you don’t finish your missions.”

Al snapped out of his fried mind. He started thinking of what to ask Karl, hoping that the dog won’t get suspicious of the weirdly acting ‘Sam’.

“First, why did you do the operation in the first place? Why didn’t you just asked us to extract the subject while he was still in North Korea?”

“That? I thought I’ve told that to you before.”

Al gulped from the tension.

“But I guess since you’ve been forgetful, We were planning on luring that other organization, you know the one who always send those pesky cats, CNS? Err... We were attempting to determine the moles they have planted in the organization, especially the ones of the communications subdivision. They have now been briefly eliminated. We also let that other organization get the Subject for us, since they’re ironically better equipped for those kinds of mission in that environment and location. You know, they pretty much breathe winter there in Russia.”

Al nodded, remembering that the every other bit of information they got on the Silverore group did come from that Organization in Russia. ~That explains why that happened. Just relax and ask as if you’re Sam and slowly push him into telling you about the current whereabouts of the research group.~

“So, back to the Subject. Why are you so interested in one man? He doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.”

“The Subject was the third and last of the prototypes of a human-robot hybrid capable of flight. The research on those fields has apparently been decommissioned a long time ago in 1989. But we still continue to monitor the subject just in case that technology, both flight and conscience, can become viable again in the future.”

“So if the research group has been decommissioned, then who monitors the subject? And why not just track him directly?”

The dog appears to be confused with the question, but answers anyways.

“When the subject crashed in North Korea, the tracking devices and the overrides got disabled. Of course, the Subject goes to the current research arm, V62. They’re curren-”

“How do I get there? I want to ask them something specific about the Subject.” Al interrupted.

“Okay...” Karl gave him a long glare. “You really are serious about this. I’ll send you the details later. The location is too complicated to explain to you right now.”

“That’s all I need for now, I guess I should be going.”

Al was getting more and more nervous as time passes by, the dog appears to be getting extremely suspicious about his identity. ~Why did you ask those kind of questions! You’re like giving yourself away~

“Wait!”

Al was about to grab the door out of the room, but paused from the remark. His breathing stopped, creating additional pressures on his mind. ~Should I run? This is clearly my fault. I’ve gotten too close and I’ve just wasted the opportunity!~

“Don’t forget about the trip this weekend at the Marksman’s Manor. You know the place!”

~Just a reminder, hopefully I’ll be done before that.~ He continued breathing in relief. “O-o-okay, I’ll be there.”

Al left the room and closed the door. He sighs thinking that he was able to escape certain doom in that room. Even for what seems like a nice dog, it’s still kind of scary given the power it has.

As the man walks away from the room, he remembers something essential he forgot to determine... the name of that dog!

---

Karl entered the inner shielded room, just to see several emails that he had received while he was having a conversation with Sam. He sat on his desk and started typing a response to one of them. He set it to high level encryption and directed it to the espionage division.

[G., I have doubts on Samuel Adams, he seems to have a different personality right now. I want you to do some intel work and verify whether the current Samuel Adams is the real one. Set this one to high priority, as he is a high level member of the organization, and try to keep this as secret as possible. Inform me of any developments. Your boss, K.]

Karl sent the email, and took a glance on the clock - it was almost sunrise.

He pressed one of the buttons on his desk, revealing the windows, hidden on the wall behind him. The morning sun was slowly rising over the City of Frankfurt, with people jogging around in the park below and a number of cars travelling along the nearby highways. The city was getting livelier.

“Thanks dad, you really had a good taste when you’ve built this tower decades back.”

The german shepherd gazed at the city, as he stood inside one of the the tallest structures in the area - the Europaturm.

THEYSEEMTOLIKETALLTOWERS,NOTLIKETHEYOWNMOREOFTHOSE,RIGHT?

ขอขอบคุณที่อ่านและดูคุณในวันพฤหัสบดีที่! ฟรีข้าวโพดคั่วผสมอัลมอนด์สำหรับผู้ที่แสดงความเห็นครั้งแรก แต่คุณจะจ่ายสำหรับการจัดส่ง
El Psy Congroo
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

GeckoZY wrote:Nananananananana [Insert your preferred song lyrics here.]
There, take your pick :D (He forgot "Hey, Jude" :( )
GeckoZY wrote:ฟรีข้าวโพดคั่วผสมอัลมอนด์สำหรับผู้ที่แสดงความเห็นครั้งแรก
And thanks, but I'm watching my weight. No popcorn for me. ;)

I'm glad Karl is a smart doggie. :D
*back to lurker mode*
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Alright guys, tell me, How many mistakes did I neglect this time?

At least I hope Al and Karl meeting each other managed to eclypse them fully.

VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

Obbl wrote:I'm glad Karl is a smart doggie. :D
*back to lurker mode*
Well, it takes a bit of intelligence to control one of the biggest company conglomerates, and detecting liars is quite a nice quality for "bosses" as well!
Silly Zealot wrote:At least I hope Al and Karl meeting each other managed to eclypse them fully.
I wonder if that's what everyone expected or not...

File 4: Helpful Coincidences
[Ladies and gentlemen, train number 9-1-7 from Vladivostok arrives to the track 2, platform 7. Repeat - train number...]

The train slowly stopped at the end of the tracks at Moscow’s Yaroslavsky station in the late evening - right after the sunset. Tired passengers were cheerfully greeted by their relatives, friends, business partners, and others of great importance to them. Just a few of them were quietly walking towards the terminal building - our four characters belonged to that group.

“I hope you two have left nothing on the train?” asked the cat, looking on Dmitri and Grey, who had to carry all their luggage around, since they actually had some.

“I am sure of that, but I can check for everything now if you want to!”

Dmitri opened his bag, while walking towards the station building. He started searching through it, but paying no attention did strike back soon - he tripped and fell down on the ground. The cat screamed in shock, and ran to help the man, while the two dogs stood still, trying not to get in her way.

“Are you okay?”

“I guess so...” - replied Dmitri, as they started to gather all of his belongings, that were scattered around.

“Don’t get too distracted while walking the next time, I’m not sure you want to break your bones or something.”

“I’ll try to... It’s hard to say that it was painful, but... yes, luck is usually not on my side when it comes to such simple things” - Dmitri said, dropping the pen inside the bag and closing it.

They left the station building, entering into one of the city’s busiest squares - despite the late hour, it was still filled with passengers, workers getting back home, taxi drivers offering their services - all those people who are usually seen on the streets, walking somewhere. Soon, they broke through the crowd and into the metro entrance, splitting in two different directions.

“Well... I’m afraid I’ll have to part with you now, guys. Hope to see you... soon. It was nice to spend some time with you on the way here” - said Maria, catching the others off-guard and receiving a suspicious glare from Sam.

“Leaving already? Well, it was pleasure for us as well. You sure you don’t need some help?”

“Not at least now, but thanks for suggesting, anyway!”

The newly arriving train filled the hall with a loud noise. The three waved back to Maria, as she has disappeared behind the sliding doors.

~And looks like we’ll meet sooner that we may have expected, mister...~ - she opened Dmitri’s notebook, that she sneakily took while helping him on the station - ~Makarov. I’ll have to give this back to you at least. Uhm, I guess noone back at the HQ will be against me reading through this?~

The train was taking her west, towards the headquarters of CNS company on the river bank, eagerly waiting for meeting her old friends, partners and, especially, her ‘father’ - General Kalugin.

---

Meanwhile the other train was carrying the three remaining travellers to the south, with marble, tiles, metal and lights of stations changing one another all the time for the next forty minutes. Grey spent most of the time trying to block his ears from the deafening noise, emitted by old electrical motors, while Sam and Dmitri, who were used to it, were trying to discuss their following route to Europe. Sam was excited hearing that the two were heading to Austria.

“You see, I couldn’t contact him after that ambush, and... I’m still not sure where exactly did he go. Al doesn’t have many places to go to as well, and since I couldn’t contact him here, I’ll have to try going to Austria as well. Aren’t you going to the west of the country, by accident?”

“I guess so. Grey!” - he took the paw off the dog’s ear as the train stopped on the next station - “Grey, where in Austria we are going exactly? I’ve forgotten that city’s name again.”

“Innsbruck” - replied the husky, closing his ears back.

“Could you allow me to accompany you then? I’ll be heading in that general direction, and... You know, it’s quite nice to travel with having someone else around to talk to.”

Dmitri and Grey nodded in agreement, as they have approached their destination.

It didn’t take long for them to get to on of the high-rise buildings on the boulevard a few hundred meters away from the subway. The elevator took them to the 10th floor, where Dmitri spent a minute, looking for keys in the bag, to open the door.

“Erm... I guess the robbers took your keys as well” - said Grey from behind him.

“Robbe-- Oh, yes. Surely they did” - replied Dmitri, and pressed the button, ringing doorbell, hoping that his landlord was at home. Luckily, they soon heard the noise of the door being unlocked from inside.

“Oh, Dmitri! Is that really you?! I have already thought that you will never come back! You’re lucky the month isn’t over yet, I’d have to get some other tenants to occupy your room otherwise.”

“Well, thanks you, Mr. Alekseev. I was definitely afraid of loosing all my belongings here.”

“Do you really think that I can just throw away everything you have there?”

“No, of course not. By the way” - he just remembered about his companions - “I hope you won’t be against them” - he pointed to Grey and Sam with his hand - “staying here with me. We will probably leave in a few days, depending on our luck.”

“No problems with that, I was going to leave now in any case, and you’ll need some free space to accommodate your guests. Just wait here for a few moments, I’ll take my phone and leave. Don’t forget to pay for the next month of rent, if you still want to stay here!”

A man in his late 40s went back into the apartment.

“Dmitri? Isn’t your name Brunolf?” - wondered Sam.

“He told me that already, it’s just the Russian name he prefers using while staying here.”

“Yes, Grey is correct. I don’t want to confuse locals with some ridiculous names, you know”

Alekseev left the apartment again, stopped in the last moment by Dmitri.

“By the way, don’t you happen to have a spare key from the door?”

“Of course I do. It’s in the kitchen somewhere, I think... Take a look around, I do remember hiding an extra one yesterday”-he replied, and went down the stairs.

Grey rushed in through the unlocked door, trying to see, feel and sniff everything in the apartment. Sam and Brunolf entered in a more regular fashion, with the doberman going to the kitchen, and the man - to his bedroom. He switched the laptop on, trying to book the tickets to Innsbruck as fast as possible. Meanwhile, he was trying to calculate the time needed for him to get his documents back. It was going take a while, even if he asked for some help from his friend in expediting the process.

~Yes, we will have to stay in the city for at least three--~

“Brunolf! There was an envelope for you on the kitchen table. No return address, but I think you might want to see it yourself”

Dmitri thanked Sam, taking the envelope from doberman’s paw and opening it. He could clearly see the red cover of the passport. It was looking completely new - unlike the one that fell victim of fires after the plane crash nearly a month ago. There were no clear signs of forgery as well - there even was a stamp, signifying that it was a replacement for an old one. Whoever did it certainly knew that the old one was non-existing anymore.

~--days.~ - he finished the phrase in his mind, trying not to question origins of passport - at least until Grey gets to his relatives.

COINCIDENCESCANBEREALLYHELPFULWHENWRITTENPROPERLY

If anyone is getting lost, then we can help you! Blue line is for our trio, and red is for Maria.
GeckoZY

A4 - File 5: A ‘Brief’ Briefing

Post by GeckoZY »

Breaking two records with one file! No not musical records, I'll be mauled for breaking those. XD

File 5: A ‘Brief’ Briefing

Al slept through the whole morning in attempt to recuperate two days worth of rest in Frankfurt. He was relaxing in his new human form - a change that was welcomed after many years of being stuck in a dog’s body. He also had the perks of being a top adviser of the organization, giving him privileges - like that nice condominium in the city center, high above the skyline. Something that was usually called the pleasure of the powerful.

But, of course, all of these had to end. He still had some work to be done, and fast.

After having a long five hour trip to the little town in Germany, Langenargen, he was dropped off in front of the Fisheries Research Center near the docks. The research center was composed of a number of short discrete white buildings, one or two stories high. From the outside, it looked like you have been sent to a small mall strip, with cafes and shops lining the front. The only real sign of the research center was a marble signage with the word Fischereiforschungsstelle and a logo beside it.

Al walked to one of the structures. An automatic door slid open and he was immediately greeted by a receptionist standing behind the counter.

“Good Afternoon Sir! You must be Samuel Adams. We were expecting you.” She walked out of the desk and approached Al. “Just follow me.”

Al wasn’t expecting such a fast response from the desk. After passing through a number of security checks, he was quickly led to the back lobby where the elevators were located. He was brought inside one of those; it was glass lined - odd for this kind of structure.

“Please place your hand on this pad. It will verify your identity and will ask you for your desired destination.” She continued, pointing at the gray panel on the right side of the elevator wall. “I think somebody is already waiting for you down below. Have a great time sir!”

The door closed and a pad appeared from out of the panel. Al placed his hand on the panel. After several scans from the machine and some other weird diagnostics, a display popped out from the pad, oddly revealing a huge number of choices. He selected the level which seemed more relevant - the one labelled HQ.

The elevator started descending. First, he noticed that the elevator was passing right underneath the building, through the port’s water instead of the upper levels. But the elevator continued and entered the lake bed. After several seconds of seeing nothing but concrete walls, a bright flash of white light blinded Al from all directions. The light was coming from what looked like some research stations, deep underneath the lake. The light flashed as he passed through several more levels, just moments before the elevator stopped.

The sliding door opened, revealing a huge underground “mission control”-like room with displays of various projects and structures, located around the world. A number of prominent structures were displayed all around. On one side, several high towers were lining the screen - among them were the CN tower, KL tower, Ostankino Tower, Sky Tower, Milad Tower, Hillbrow Tower and the Europaturm. On another screen, a clear view of several communication links between a number ofl facilities around the world could be seen. These included CERN, NASA, NIF and even several tech companies - like Google.

~You can sense their schemes everywhere. Who even displays live streams of random towers around the world in a research facility!~
After gazing in awe at the complexity of that section of the research facility, he noticed a familiar figure approaching him. It eventually stopped, just several steps in front of him and introduced himself.

“Hello, you must be Samuel Adams, I’m the assistant research head of the institute. Specifically, I conduct research on laser based weapons system. I was told to bring you to the head researcher and - if you want - give you a brief tour of the facility.”

“Hi, I think a tour would be great.” He continued staring, not noticing the weird looks he was getting from the dog. “Err... You must be Grey Bachs?”

“It’s Trey.” He replied, now returning the stare that he was originally giving him. “Grey is actually my brother. Wait, have you met Grey?”

The man was slightly startled at the reply, desperately trying to suppress any signs of his shock.

~Of course, I forgot, the husky I met at the train had gray fur, not black! They’re brothers? What a coincidence.~ He replied back to Trey, before things get more awkward. “Sorry, it was a slip of the tongue. I... occasionally switch letters up. I haven’t actually met your brother.”

The husky tilted his head, before motioning for them to start walking. They passed right through the control room, entering one of the corridors, pointing out from the center. The hallway was lined with glass windows, displaying a number of equipments and researchers inside. The researchers were a mix of humans, dogs and a few cats.

“I’ll give you a brief overview of the facility. This facility, called the Vesicstue Institute of Advance Defense Systems is located on several levels, between 90 to 250 meters below the ground level. Most of the current research in this facility is related to weapon systems. We have a number of prominent scientists working in this facility, we provide them a sizeable amount of funding for their specialized fields of research.”

“Wait a minute, why does the facility need to be this deep underground? I’ve only heard of similar facilities going down to 170 meters, and that’s without much people in them. This basically has a whole town of people working undergro-”

Al noticed something peculiar at the distance. The windows were showing not any working personnel, or instruments, but water. A number of fish swam past the glass covered pathwalk. Several researchers pass right by them. At a distance, Al saw, what seemed to be an underwater structure - a white hemisphere, surrounded by glass windows and bright lights. Several other pathways shot off this structure in several other directions.

“It’s okay. I was also kinda scared at first. But this glass is much stronger than anything I know. It was developed a couple of years ago by one of the researchers.”

“W-wait, I’m not really afraid at these glass, but why build such a facility underground and even underwater? This is under Lake Constance, right?” Al asked, remembering the name of the lake from one of the signs he had passed by during the ride.

“Oh, that’s what you’re thinking of. As you might know by now, this is a somewhat a secretive institute, but, of course, we’re a perfectly legal research center.” Said Trey. “To avoid a lot of those complications and technicalities, we built the facility underwater, where the border of Austria, Switzerland and Germany meet. This removes a lot of restrictions to the kind of research we do. The borders here are ambiguous, so we can research almost everything, without much legal complications. Especially since most of the fringe research fields are bound to be legal in one of three countries. The other tubes there lead to Bregenz, Austria and Rorschach, Switzerland and the rest lead to the other research pods and some really really classified sections. There are a lot of conspiracy theories circulating around here, like how they experimented with stuff... like cyborgs before, but that’s unbelievable and probably a bit too far in the future.”

The husky paused for a bit, trying to breathe in some of the lost air, ”Oh, and yes, we’re actually about 200 meters underneath Lake Constance right now. It kinda helps too at removing a lot of interference for the experiments and blocks all communications signals to the surfa-” The husky paused with his tail wagging as he saw one of the other researchers, an elkhound. “Hello Hannah! This is Samuel Adams, he’s here to meet the research head. If I understood correctly, he works for one of the funding institutions.”

The elkhound waved back to Trey and gave a short greeting to Al. “Hello sir, I’m Johanna Magnusson, or just Hannah. I currently work under what most of them humorously call as the fringe science division.” Al’s eyes flashed as soon as he heard that phrase - a reaction that was surely noticed by Hannah. “I would love to talk more about it, but you will need to ask for clearance from the research head first. It was nice meeting you.”

The Swedish Elkhound said her goodbyes to the two and continued back to her duties, waving at Trey before carrying on with her walk.

~A fringe division? I guess I’ll find what I need there.~ Al thought. “So... you seem to be a lot more enthusiastic with her than with explaining the research facility to me.”

The husky’s eyes shot up and became a bit uneasy. His tail sagged down as he started to look away from the man.

“Uhm... n-not really. It’s kinda funny... weird... Hehehe... We’d... better start walking, we don’t want to make the doctor wait to much, right?”

The husky started to walk briskly as the man continued following him. Al was currently amused at Trey’s reaction to his words. ~This is a nice thing to know.~ Now, more amused than before.

They continued walking through the underwater tube, reaching the moving walkway on their way to another submerged structure. Al attempted to squeeze some more information from the husky about Hannah’s work and the fringe division, but the dog seemed to be equally clueless about the specifics of her work. Instead, he started asking Trey about the other projects in the institute.

“So, what do you do here exactly? Do you really work as research assistant to the head researcher?”

“Oh, no. The “assistant research head” is more of an internal title, rather than a position. I don’t really assist the research head with his work. In fact, I lead my own research team. I was just tasked to give you the quick tour around the facility. And well, nobody really knows anything about the head’s research, he just leads that fringe research group you’ve been interested in.”

“Okay, I understand, even though it doesn’t really seem that simple. Laser based weapons system, right? Sounds interesting.” ~The head researcher, that is.~

“It is, but it’s kind of dangerous.” Trey said with a bit of uneasiness. “I accidentally zapped a researcher a few weeks back, luckily he was unharmed... Oh look, we’re here!”

They’ve reached the interior of the sphere which was amazingly open. The atrium filled up most of the center of the hemisphere. The important research divisions lined the surface of the sphere, clearly visible from the signs, that were hanging all around the atrium. Eight elevators were forming a ring at the center of the sector, reaching the top of the facility. Several hanging decks connected the research divisions to the central elevator, creating a wonderfully symmetric, simple and the same time seemingly complex structure. An architectural and engineering masterpiece, that was completely hidden from the outside world.

Trey led Al to the central elevators and entered one of them. The husky pressed two buttons and inputted his level access password. The elevator slowly rose, all the while giving a nice 360 degree view of the facility. It eventually slowed down as it approaches the lasers research level of the facility, codenamed Ouu-Mtg group.

“I’ll be heading to my division right now. You’ll get down at this last floor over there. That’s where the boss stays.” The elevator bell rang, just at the right moment. “Bye!”

Al shook hands with the dog, leaving him wondering, who the head researcher actually was. He needed to get more information on the past projects, and it seemed that only that person could provide the answer. The system here was similar to how the organization handled their own groups, the research groups were independent and barely interacted with each other.

His thoughts were now interrupted by the second elevator ring, signifying his arrival.

Al exited the elevator and reached what looked like a waiting room. The secretary noticed him and pressed the button on the intercom device, now smiling at Al.

“Hello sir, the doctor is already waiting for you.”

~Why does everyone seem to recognize me around here? Is that how fast information travels in here?~

The secretary pushed a button, opening the door for Al. He passed right through and reached a room with glass covered ceiling, showing a clear view of the lake’s waters. A single desk laid in front of him, with a number of chairs lining perpendicular to the length of the desk.

The head’s chair turned and a man - seemingly in his late 50s or early 60s - lined his hands up and looked at the man.

He felt trembling feeling as soon as the man started uttering some words, words that had no real threat at all. “Hello Samuel Adams. I was expecting you.”

HESAWBUGSBUNNYSITTINGINONEOFTHECHAIRS

Хвала за читање и видимо се у уторак! Ко зна да ли је то лепо преведено или не. Требало би да покушате ланац превођење ове следећи пут. КСД
El Psy Congroo
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

You guys are still mixing up tenses and being a little awkward with the wording.

So the meeting has happened and he survived... for now. I wonder what that researcher wants with him.

So the Bachs are company men. I wonder if Grey knows or not.

Good description!
My characters
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

copper wrote:You guys are still mixing up tenses and being a little awkward with the wording.
So the meeting has happened and he survived... for now. I wonder what that researcher wants with him.
So the Bachs are company men. I wonder if Grey knows or not.
Ironically, the more I get involved in mistake-correcting process, the more of them I miss.
I bet he wouldn't want much from Al. Just some info and permission to use him as a test subject in mind control device programme! And who would even want to miss that deal?!
"He-knew-that-all-along" would be too cliche to be used now, and not too-cliche to use in the ending, I guess. :)

File 6: Foreign Affairs.

“I know why we have to keep following them, I was just asking you how we are going to do that. They were going to visit relatives... somewhere in Europe, Germany or Austria, judging by the names. And they can leave at any time they please, now when this Bruno-- Dmitri character has his passport back.”

“That’s where you get back onto the scene” - general Kalugin looked back at confused Maria - “Don’t worry, no more crawling through the moist snow or trying to keep as low profile as possible.” - ~And I’m still not convinced you’ve even tried to~ - “You just need to find out where exactly are they going.”

“But... How? And why do I have to do that, when you can just probably push a few buttons and get all the information on your own?”

“It’s complicated. Let’s just say that Dmitri is not a rare name by any standards, and there are probably several of them who will buy the tickets somewhere from Moscow. Also we still lack any contacts in Austrian or German airports and airlines, so getting passenger manifest will take a while as well. To tip odds in our favour, we still have his note book... and I know that you can pay attention to details.”

“You want me to go to them, and while pretending that I just want to return it, look around and see where they’re going?”

“Exactly! The address is written on the inside of the cover, and you can call us should you need some assistance on the way.”

The cat took a final look on the map of the city, and left for another long ride across it. She was definitely not looking forward to it.

---

Maria exited a taxi on the boulevard fifty minutes later. The ride across the city was, as expected, uneventful. She didn’t even have time to fall asleep while the driver was just looking ahead, not looking forward to talking with his passenger. She thanked him upon arrival, payed with the cash she was given, and opened the notebook again, looking for the apartment number she will be heading to.

Soon Maria found it on the 10th floor of the building. Standing on one leg, she reached and pushed the doorbell button. The doorbell tune could be heard from behind the door, and soon it swung open.

“Ma-- Maria, what are you doing here?! How did you even find me?” - Dmitri asked her, staring in disbelief.

“Oh, that’s a funny story! You see, I came back home yesterday, and was about to go to sleep, when I’ve decided to look through the notes I’ve made on the way here. Imagine how surprised I was-” - she gave the note book to Brunolf -”when I saw this. Oh, don’t look at me like that! I wasn’t reading whatever you wrote there, and it took me not more than a second to realise that this handwriting isn’t mine.”

“Well, thanks for that as well...”

“By the way, may I ask you for a favour in return?”

“Sure, why not?”

“I have a phone call to make, may I use yours?”

“Of course! It’s in the living room, next to the computer.” - Dmitri gestured the cat to come in. She did so, waving to Grey and Sam, while running through the hallway to the telephone. She was greeted back by a wave and a suspicious stare. She dialed a random number and began waiting for the response while looking around. The brightly lit computer screen soon gave her the answer to the question she was looking for.

“Oh no, oh no, they’ve left already, I’ll be late for sure!” - Maria exclaimed, while going back to the front door - “I’m sorry everyone, I... just had that meeting arranged, and I wanted to say that I may get late! Sorry, and goodbye!”

She forcefully closed the door behind her and rushed downstairs, not willing to wait for the elevator to get back up to her.
“Well, I guess that’s normal for cats... Anyway, let’s pack everything then, we have a flight tomorrow!” - said Dmitri to the two dogs, who were still staring into the empty hall in slight shock.

---

“So, did you find out where they’re going?”

[Innsbruck. And it looks like they’ve never really planned that trip- the tickets were bought just recently.]

“Uhm... Spontaneous flight to Austria? Sounds interesting enough to investigate that, don’t you think?” Asked the general, in a slightly amused tone.

Kalugin heard a cat's sigh coming from the speaker. [You want me to follow them, don’t you?]

“Why not? It will be easier than trying not to fall off a mountain. And if you get spotted, they will likely believe pretty much any excuse of yours. Given that you already know them, and they know you.”

[Why can’t someone else to go after them? I thought you had someone working for you in Austria?]

“That retired pilot?” Now at the brink of laughing. “It will be hard to get them talking to each other, but of course he will be available for help, should you need some.”

[Well, if you insist, I can do that. Just please, don’t make me to sneak into the airplane and fly in the cargo hold again. It’s cold in there.]

“I’ll try getting you something better than that.”

[Thank you, Da--]

“And, please, don’t call me like that.” He exclaimed, now in a more serious tone.

[All right, all right, if you wish so. I’ll be coming back to the HQ then.]

Kalugin hung up the phone, and walked across the room to his desk. He reached one of the panels on it to push the button for the intercom.

“Alisa, may you look for any tickets on tomorrow’s 10 AM flight to Innsbruck?”

“Okay” A long pause followed with several keyboard chatters and mouse clicks echoing at the background. “There are two seats left sir, both in business class.”

“Great, we need one for Maria.” He continued. “And one more thing - please, ask someone to call 45002/9/5--”

“That new informer from Salzburg?”

“Yes, that one. We will need him to meet Maria at the airport. She’ll tell him what to do next”

“As you wish, sir.”

He pushed the button once again, and turned around to the screen with the map on the wall. Green and red dots were slowly moving across it, marking their agents’ and the known enemies’ movements around the whole world, updating once in a few minutes. One of these dots - a green one with the number 2002/5 - will move to Austria, trying to make Dmitri Makarov (or Brunolf Weiss, if he preferred that name) another ally in that quite a long-lasting conflict.

TRIPLEHOORAYFORMOREAWKWARDFORMATTING!

Yay, Gecko finally used the language I've heard of in this "ending" text! I wonder, if he will do that again next time on Thursday :lol:
...Now that I've said that, he won't do it. Still have to decide whether it's good or not.

Oh, and I've nearly forgotten about that - yay for another character who finally got his name used!
GeckoZY

A4 - File 7: What’s Up Doc

Post by GeckoZY »

A Necessary Intro

File 7: What’s Up Doc

Al was frozen solid. He felt as he was looking at a ghost. The shivers kept running down his spine as he approached one of the seats. A mix of conflicting anger and fear enveloped his mind, as he sat on the chair, trying his best to not make his feelings noticeable.

-“Doctor Heinrich Lehrer...”

There was no mistaking it, that was the name of the man sitting there. The very same man who had forced both him and Faust into their respective predicaments. The very same man who had placed them under all kinds of horrid tests to check their capabilities after they were moved into his nefarious research sub-division. The man who had him turned into a dog years back.

A man who was supposed to be dead. Dead, since 1989.

-“That would be my father.” The doctor replied, making Al flinch as he tried to avoid eye contact from his apparent mistake. “I’m Doctor Johannes Lehrer. I took over his research company a few years after he died in that lab accident. It was a moment of both sadness and joy, for I received my PhD on the same day.”

~I better show a bit of sympathy, I don’t want this guy to become wary of me.~ Thought Al before replying. -“Oh... I’m... so sorry about that...”

-“No, it’s fine.”- The doctor interrupted by raising his hand, as well as his voice. -”It’s was a really long time ago. There is no point in dwelling on the past. But, come to think of it, how is it that you know him? He was usually very cautious about the people he talked to. And from the looks of it, you were probably still in kindergarten when he passed away.”

Alfons suddenly realized the logic in the doctor’s words, and how it could bring down his and Faust’s plans, unless the doctor was fooled with a plausible explanation. ~Man, I gotta think fast!, How else could I have known him? The company files? Yes, those are the ones!~

-“I’ve read a couple of files on him.” He paused, trying to think of any details that he could remember on him from the past. Eventually, without much progress he just stated the most obvious fact about the doctor’s father. “He was one of the head researchers from the earlier groups. I’ve seen one of his pictures in the files.”

-“Ah, just when I’ve thought that I have a time-traveller here!” He smirked, leaning back from his earlier more serious pose. “Could have solved that problem in our earlier machines.”

-“What? Machines for tim-” He was immediately interrupted by the doctor’s raised hand.

“I’ll stop you there before I breach my own security codes.” Doctor took a quick pause before continuing with the agenda. “The boss has told me about you coming here. He said that you wanted to ask me something, right?”

~Should I go directly to the point? I think he’ll respond better in pressure.~ -thought Alfons for a second before replying - “I was looking for more information on a project of V38, the 152s. I am the one who was tasked to retrieve the last one of them.”

“Oh, so you’re that person.” - Lehrer replied with certain amusement in his voice - “The boss never really communicates those details that well, but I think I did send him all of the necessary documents on that project. Which part of the project would you want to know? The group that was monitoring him is currently on break since we don’t have any of the devices working.”

“I’m not really interested in the monitoring team or the surveillance data.” Replied Al, thinking that a more direct approach will be more appropriate for the doctor. “I want to see the earlier files on him. The original research files.”

The man stared at him for a few seconds, as if he was attempting to detect visitor’s intents by just gazing at him. He clasped his hands and leaned back on his swiveling chair.

“That seems to be a peculiar request. It’s interesting, of course, to know why you want that information, but either way the archives are strictly off access. Only I and a few other researchers under me are allowed access to them.”

Surprised with the response, Al got into a state of uneasiness. “But... why? Don’t I have the clearance to access those files? I just need to see some of the earlier files.”

The doctor gave his visitor a stern look. A sense of tension seemingly filled the whole room, as both men were silent for a while.

“As you know, this research firm is the most secretive part of the organization. Even the scientists here do not know of the our connections to the organization, they only know this as the Vesicstue Institute. The only person who really knows the organization in here is me... and, right now, you, indeed. I want neither any breaches in security nor any leakage of confidential documents from this institution. We have a lot of classified, dangerous and potentially devastating research projects in here. And, to tell you the truth, one of those leakage has happened before. And I don’t want it to happen again, for as long as I’m head! Do you understand my view on this?”

~That is sensible, given what has happened before...~ “Okay, I’ll stop there then. But who manages the monitoring team? Just a bit of curiosity.”

The doctor sighed, attempting to relieve himself after his short burst of rage.

“I’m sorry about getting a bit hot-headed. You know, the scientists here love to argue with me. The monitoring team is under my division.”

~I should slap myself for not expecting that. Fringe division! I wonder what they do there exactly... Oh, wait, creepy stuff!~ “Is it okay if I ask what other things does your group study?”

“Everything under me is, so to say, the classified of the classified. Just like the archives, I won’t divulge anything unnecessary to you or even the organization. I have given most of the important and necessary information to the organization. If you have anything else to ask you can-”

A panel on the doctor’s desk started blinking, he pressed the button on it, stopping the blinking.

“Doctor Lehrer, you are urgently needed in Sector 32.23 in the specials research division. There is an apparent problem with the archives. Looks like some mix-ups, but some of them might have gotten corrupted.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a sec. Anything else?”

“I have received a call for Mr. Adams on the secured line. Do you want me to put it through?”

“Yes, that would be nice.”

The call from secretary was put on hold, signified by machine’s beeping.

~Seems like they’ve just told me where to find it. Nice.~ - Al even smiled a bit, before realising that it could have been seen, and getting distracted from his thoughts by phone, that was signalling about the call.

In the standard electronically altered voice that he had used the last time, Karl started talking on the phone. [“Hello Doc, I see that you have met Sam over here. I hope he didn’t give you a hard time.”]

“No, he didn’t. I was just a bit too tense. You know how annoyed I can get with all the scientists here.”

~That boss really does act childish... I wonder how did this company even survive in the past few years?~ - Alfons asked himself, listening to the discussion.

[“Yes, I know. By the way, I’ll be heading to Horbranz right now. Can you send Sam there? There is a hotel nearby, as you know - try to get him a room there. I’ll be arriving tomorrow. Bye!”]

“Yes, sir.”

~Oh no, I forgot about that! I haven’t completed the mission. I’ll need to go to that trip!~ - Al commented in his mind again, as the intercom beeped in its regular annoying fashion again.

-“Sam, I need to go right now. I’ll tell my secretary about your needs.”

-“Thanks you. Oh, it was nice meeting you, too!” ~I think I’ve gotten enough information for today. I’ll return later and try to gain access to those files.~

Al promptly left the room, not wasting any time that he could spend on getting as far away as it was possible. He met the secretary outside and was led to the complex’s exit in Horbranz.

---

Karl was in his condominium unit in the city of Frankfurt. After having that talk with the doc on the phone, he was busy preparing everything that he could need for his trip. After all, that was one of those times of the year, when he could relax in his one of his father’s manors.

Although something strange seemed to “possess” Sam, Karl was shrugging that off as stress from not successfully completing his mission. The fact that intel has found nothing suspicious on this “new” Sam was only reassuring the shepherd.

-“Maybe this would help him relax.” - Karl said to himself, grabbing one of the frisbees from his closet and throwing it in his luggage. Various things, such as collars and attires, have already been lining the bag’s interior, together with his electronic devices - mostly handheld consoles and phones.

“At least I won’t be bored during the trip. Let’s see... seems like I’m done packing.”

He shut the baggage and locked it. He walked towards the windows, glancing outside before leaving again. The flock of birds flew right by it, even closing the sight of a sun, setting over a German city, for a moment.

---

Doctor Lehrer pressed a button on underneath of his desk. An opening popped out of one of the walls - a direct shortcut to his division.

As he walked towards the sector, the conversation he had with that Sam came back to him. He was a weird person, Lehrer supposed. Making a number of suspicious requests was something out of ordinary for the research group at that time. More precisely, he even couldn’t remember something like that happening before.

-~Looks like they’re back.~ - he said to himself, as a number of ideas came to him.

THERESEEMSTOBEALACKOFCARROTSORBUCKTOOTHINTHISFILE

សូមអរគុណសំរាប់ការអានទាំងអស់គ្នា! បានធ្វើឱ្យទាន់សម័យបន្ទាប់នឹងត្រូវនៅថ្ងៃសៅរ៍។ យើងសង្ឃឹមថាអ្នកនឹងត្រូវបានទាសកររបស់យើងដោយពេលនោះហើយអាននេះដោយគ្មានសំណួរ។
El Psy Congroo
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hmm... seems he is successfully being unsuccessful in being Sam Adams. By the way, did you get that name from the Historical American Founding Father?

I hope he at least has some fun with the German Shepherd and does not try to catch that frisbee with his teeth! He is Human now and that could hurt! :?
My characters
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

I was thinking of a stereotypical/common name that's not John, I got Samuel. Then, I thought of a stereotypical/common surname, I got Adams. Voila, Samuel Adams! I only realized that later, a few days after writing most of the earlier archives. And again, when I got to play Assassin's Creed 3.
El Psy Congroo
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

copper wrote:Hmm... seems he is successfully being unsuccessful in being Sam Adams. By the way, did you get that name from the Historical American Founding Father?

I hope he at least has some fun with the German Shepherd and does not try to catch that frisbee with his teeth! He is Human now and that could hurt! :?
I'll agree with Gecko, I'd never thought of THAT Sam Adams before you've mentioned him!
Huh, that could have been quite a fun thing to see!

===

File 8: (Lack of) inspiration

The following day, the group arrived in Innsbruck, Austria...

With Sam and Grey having left the hotel room in order to get a map and some tickets that they would need for the journey to Trey’s house, Dmitri was all alone in it. It was hard to say that he was against such of an outcome of events. He was quite tired of the flight, and now just needed to lie down and to do nothing that would require walking anywhere or catching someone running into him. Nothing loud, messy or difficult. Like lying in the bed, all alone with his own thoughts.

Peace and quietness of the small town on the river - that was exactly what Dmitri needed after the month, spent on labour and running, running, running, without thinking of where exactly he was heading to. He opened up his notebook again. There were still a few empty pages left at the end of it, untouched by Dmitri’s imaginary life. He decided to look through it again to remember some certain details, and now... Now he was feeling a desire to fill the rest of it. The empty white field of paper was taunting him - in the most literal way lifeless paper can do that. He took a pen, thought of a title for a minute, but then an inspiration suggested him a topic to write on.

Dmitri wrote it on the top of the next page:

[10 reasons for not flying with pets ever again]
He began recalling the events that had occurred 9 hours before as he wrote the following words:

---

Reason 1 - You have to carry much more luggage. Alone.

-“Finally, finally we’re going to fly! I’ll see my brothers in just 5 hours or so!”
“Just don’t get overexcited again, Grey, I’m not sure Sam or I are capable of running around the airport...”
“Why not? I thought these bags were not too heavy to carry around” - wondered the doberman from behind him
“I’ve never said that I can run with--”
“Hey, look, the check-in has already started, it says we have to go... there!” - the husky, excited with the rare experience of airline travel, started running to the different side of the airport terminal building, with its tail wagging. Sam didn’t wait long before chasing after him, leaving Dmitri to crawl through the crowd of other travellers, trying to catch up with runaway pets - just to find them at the end of one of the longest queues he has ever seen.

REASON 2 - Safety checks are much more irritating to go through.

“Are you their owner?”
The border control employee was sitting at her desk, looking at the passports of the travelling three.
“No, we are just travelling together”
“You should have the papers from their respective owners, then, sir.”
It took around 5 minutes to get the precious pieces of paper from the bags, but that was enough to get the crowd behind them slightly annoyed, and the airport employee - suspicious. That lead to a few more standard questions, asked to Grey and Sam - like, if they knew Dmitri at all, and asked some dates and city names from their tickets. Luckily for them, these were answered correctly, and the woman with quite a grumpy face let them to keep going towards the departure lounge.

REASON 3 - They sometimes lack attention.

Grey and Sam were walking down the aisle of a small convenience store in the departures lounge, pushing a small trolley along it. Dmitri saw them filling it with random products, but didn’t pay too much attention to this fact, until he has decided to estimate the cost of all the products inside. The fact that it was nearing to double the amount of money he had available was quite worrying, to say the least. That was the main reason for Dmitri to forget about the magazine he was reading, and to run to them.
“Guys, I’m sorry for stopping your shopping spree, but... you do realise that we have no money to pay for all that?”
“Pay? But this shop had the ‘Free’ sign on it... Sam told me that it means that we can take anything we want!” - Grey and Dmitri turned their faces to smirking Sam
“All right, stay here, and I’ll take a look on that sign you’ve told me”
Brunolf stepped outside the shop, to see the sign, first line of which spelled ‘Duty-Free’
The man sighed again. ~Looks like I have a concept to explain now...~ - he thought, and went back to the shop, where husky, who looked angrier now, was forcing the doberman to put all the unfinished purchases back to where they belonged.

REASON 4 - Pets can argue on some ridiculous subjects.

Dmitri, Grey and Sam were in the end of a long queue of passengers, boarding the flight to Innsbruck. The husky, that couldn’t even remember his flight to Russia back when he and his owners moved there, was definitely looking forward to it. The man was slightly concerned about the airplane itself, remembering all the stories he read while going to Moscow, and having to analyse them. Despite that, he could quite easily control his emotions.
Unlike Sam, who was standing right after the overexcited Grey. Grey and his tail. Huge fluffy wagging tail, that kept hitting his paws over and over again. And to be fair, it was doing that at quite a high rate. And no one seemed to notice that but Sam, leading the annoyance slowly gather inside him. An he couldn’t hold it there for too long now.
A couple of minutes later Dmitri, who was already going to start looking for their boarding passes, felt something heavy to fall on the floor next to him, complete with faint whine and a louder growl. When he turned around, he saw a slightly familiar picture - shocked husky was lying on the floor, tackled by the doberman.
“Wh...Why did you do th...that?!”
“Can’t you guess it for yourself?! Your tail kept hitting me for the last 15 minutes! And it was just a few inches away from my face! You KNOW it’s annoying!”
“Oh... really?” - the husky smirked - “Well, we can change our places then, I’m not going to have this proble--” - Grey immediately felt an even higher pressure on him.
“Don’t even start mocking on my tail! That’s the most adequate thing you can do now”
“And one of the most boring”
“Guys, could you wait for us to arrive in Austria first before killing each other in a violent manner?” - Dmitri commented on the two - “There are way too many witnesses here, and also I won’t be responsible for Grey after that. And if you stay on the floor, we’ll be late for the flight. So... Could you pretend you’re responsible and mature for the next few hours?”
“Just keep him from talking about my tail, I’m not fond of it as well”- said Sam, letting Grey go. Despite the weirdness of the moment and the subject of the short-lived argument, they regretted nothing that was done.

REASON 5 - They tend to overreact.

Sam was walking through the cabin of an airplane towards its nose, to wash his paws before eating. The flight crew has promised to serve lunch in a few minutes, so the timing was quite nice. Soon he moved aside the curtain between economy and business class sections, and sighed
~I could have been sitting here, maybe even with someone from the team, celebrating our success... But no - someone with ridiculous sense of humor had to lock me up inside this dog’s body!~
“Hey there, Mister I-am-not-a-dog!” - some really familiar high pitched voice called him.
Sam quickly turned around, to see who said that, just to prove his suspicions right. A gray cat was right behind him, with some fish and juice on the tray table.
“Ma -- Maria?! What are you doing here?!”
“Well, mostly eating, talking to you and flying, as well. Just some simple multitasking.”
“And what are you going to do in Austria?”
“Having a vacation the mountains, you know. I need some after this weird train ride... But now I’m not sure that I can relax, every single country starts to go crazy when you three arrive.”
“Ha-ha-ha. Well, see you... sometime in the future, miss I-am-coincidentally-taking-the-same-flight” - replied doberman, while already running back to his seat. He had to tell who was going with them...
“Sam, you are just being paranoid. Mountains is a good place to spend some time if you don’t want spring to come too early, and Austria is not the worst choice ever”
“But... She is on the same flight with us! How can this be even possible?!”
“She is not going on a business trip, so this flight is quite convenient. Once again, Sam - you are just overreacting. Maybe some rest in Innsbruck will help your nerves... Anyway, I’ve been sitting here for too long, I’d better go and wash my hands as well”
Dmitri stood up from his seat, and walked down the aisle, He heard Grey asking Sam something about Maria, and stewardesses serving food already, repeating the same question over and over again - “Chicken or fish?”, with slight modifications, depending on who was asked.
~I’d better hurry up, or I’m likely to stay with a cold lunch.~ - he thought, speeding up his steps. ~Or without it at all!~.

[Reason 6-] - Dmitri was about to continue recalling the flight, when he suddenly heard someone knocking at the room door. These ‘someone’ were actually the two dogs. They waited for Dmitri to hastily pack his bag, and, after some hesitation - pick up all the luggage they had. The three travellers headed outside the building, towards the tramway line.

---

The doors of a tramway closed, as it left the station to go on its route. Grey and Sam were sitting next to each other, discussing something, and Dmitri was one row behind them.

~Well, this way they will never see what I am writing. Perfect!~ - he told to himself, realising that he had quite a bit of time to kill. And Dmitri already had an idea of how to do that - mostly by carrying on with what he has started writing in the room. He got the note book out of the bag, and kept filling lines on the paper.

<DON'T FORGET TO INSERT WITTY ALT TEXT!>

Okay, I hope I will be forgieven for this experiment with style... Because, you know, a bit of change is usually welcome. I deeply apologise to everyone who may think it's the most awful idea ever.
Because it probably is.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I liked the way you did this. Keep it up. :D
Minor English oddities. I'm sure Copper will catch them later :P
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

Obbl wrote:I liked the way you did this. Keep it up. :D
Phew. No torches and pitchforks for me!

Well, time to return the favour to Gecko, I guess. And continue getting distracted writing the story. Please, thank Silly Zealot for catching up and improving grammar in the following segment.

File 9: Yet more (complete absence of) inspiration

REASON 6 - You can’t afford to order drinks.

Dmitri was walking back to his seat while the stewardesses had been giving out the lunch trays to the row where he and the dogs were supposed to sit. He moved into an empty seat to let her pass with the trolley, before walking back to his “pets.”
-”So, what do have for lunch?”
“There was a wide repertoire of choices between chicken and fish,”- Replied Sam in a sarcastic tone. - “We figured you wouldn’t want to have the latter.” - Sam opened the small container with grilled chicken inside. - “Also, the stewardess apologised for running out of drinks, she said that she will get us something in a few minutes. I thought you would want some water.”
-“That’s right!”- Said Dmitri in relief. -”And what about Grey?”
-“He is waiting for drinks as well, and right now, as I can see, he is getting excited about the food here.”- Sam pointed at Grey, who was quickly and noisily devouring his own piece of food.
-“It’s better than in that buffet on the train!” - said the husky, and continued eating.
-“And... What exactly did he order?”
-“Well--”
-“Water for you, sirs.” - The dober-man’s answer was interrupted by the soft voice of the stewardess.
-“And orange soda for you.” - She said as she gave the orange, bubbling glass to an excited Grey, who had just finished ripping his lunch apart.
-“Grey, Why are you drinking soda already?!”
-“Just a couple of glasses, please, Brunolf!”- He begged while fully bringing his infamous puppy eyes to bear.
Dmitri sighed - “All right, drink as many as you want, so long as you’re the one paying for it.”
-“All drinks on this flight are free, sir.” - commented the hostess before walking off to attend the other passengers, leaving a slightly scared Dmitri and a smirking Grey behind...

REASON 7 - Kids are always causing nothing but trouble.

~All right, Sam, calm down. It’s just a kid, he has no idea what he is doing...~
On the seat right behind Sam’s, a small child was trying to entertain himself by any possible means after his mother had fallen asleep. For several minutes, his attention had been drawn to the dober-man’s pointy and mostly fluffy ears, which were just low enough for his hand to reach. The fur, it’s pattern and feel were fascinating for a child who rarely had gotten to see dogs as big as the one in front of him, while living in the city. The alien and completely new feel of being touched by random strangers who want to “pet a cute dog” was making Sam doubt if taking the flight was actually a good idea.
Dober-man continued thinking. ~...and if I yell at him, everyone will look at me like I am a maniac or something like that... But I just want my ears to be left alone! Alone! Is that really so much to a....a-a-ask...~
It is quite hard to understand why the kid decided to start scratching Sam’s head, though he most likely grew bored of simply playing with his ears, or maybe he recalled hearing someone who had said that most dogs like getting scratched at a certain spot behind their ears. It could have also been just a new interesting game for the kid, a game called “Try to make pointy ears twitch”.
~...Okay, I will forgive him... maybe... if he keeps scratching!~ Sam thought, relaxing more and more as the kid kept scratching his harder and harder.
Quite soon, Grey painfully realized that Sam was happy with the treatment a child was giving him, as the husky got woken up with doberman’s leg that kept hitting him accidentally as it moved and, to tell the truth, that sensation was quite difficult for the “little” husky to simply ignore.
-“Sam, I’m trying to sleep here! Can you at least try controlling your paws?”
-“Not sure I can or want to...” - replied the dober-man with an even more pleased voice than Grey expected to hear, which was saying a lot.
At that very moment, the husky noticed a small hand, scratching his partner’s head. He turned around and saw the child, who was really surprised to see another pair of ears pop up from behind the other seat, followed by a fuzzy and muzzled face. He stopped scratching Sam, and for a moment, did nothing but look at the the other dog’s face. As he did so, Grey’s initial irritation weared off, as he thought that getting the same treatment as Sam would be a nice change of pace and, since Dmitri seemed to be sleeping at the time, the child was the only one he could receive it from. The other thing he knew for sure is that his signature “puppy dog eyes” would at least attract some more attention from the little boy.
It turned out exactly how Grey expected. Initially unsure of what to do, the kid decided to reach for the same spot on the husky’s head with his right hand after staring right into his big, glassy eyes. Grey’s overly happy face soon indicated that was the right decision for everyone involved.
~At least they are quiet now.~ - Thought Dmitri, looking at the dogs with a eye half-open, and continued enjoying the brief length of time he had left alone with his thoughts. For the first time in his life, he actually enjoyed flying next to a little child.

REASON 8 - The baggage carousel is something completely new to them.

-“You see, Brunolf?, I told you that you misunderstood the signs!, Now we have to go to that part of the building!”- Grey was not really happy with the useless run they had just made across the main terminal of the Innsbruck airport, since it wasn’t until they had reached the other side of the main building that they realised they had taken a wrong turn. They were then forced to run again, this time even faster, all the while fearing to lose their luggage in the airport. If not forever, then at least for a few hours.
The blue-and-white bag was doing yet another turn on carousel number #8 when the three approached it. Grey cried something unintelligible, jumped on the carousel, and began running along it to get the bag. Dmitri and Sam were trying to yell at him to stop, but with so many people around them, talking and running to get their own luggage, their attempts were futile. The husky was determined to reach the runaway bag at all costs.
-“Grey, watch out for the--” - quite a loud noise was heard from the end of the carousel - “--wall at the end...”- cried the two observers, hoping to warn their companion about the incoming threat. The confused husky stepped down to the floor with an slightly bumped head, and stared back at them. Dmitri and Sam stood next to each other, smirking and looking at him in amusement.
-“It’s not funny! I almost died over there trying to get that bag!”
-“We’re not too late, it will come back. And you only think it’s not funny because you didn’t see it from our point of view.”- Said Dmitri, trying to hold the laughter.
The three terrible travellers kept arguing about the entertainment value of the ordeal for another minute or two, before their bag showed up on the carousel again.

REASON 9 - Taxi drivers tend to stay out of trouble.

Daniel Muller - a man in his early 50s, was sitting inside his cab just outside the airport building. The radio was humming with music that had stopped being new and popular around the early 70s, getting the man bored almost to sleep, as he waited for any possible passengers.
He was just closing the window, so as to not let the cool morning air inside the car, when something made him scream in fear: A huge, really huge, dog’s face. Its jaws snapping repeatedly, paws hitting on the window, making the aging man really terrified. This scene of ultimate horror continued for about a minute, until the dog either got tired, or simply decided to get all the attention away from itself, and ran away. Daniel hastily started the car, and left for the city center at the fastest speed allowed by law.
-“You see, Sam?, That’s the fifth taxi driver you’ve scared away like that! They cannot hear you through the windows, and you look like crazy rabid mutt when try to speak like that!”- Dmitri once again tried to explain to Sam that his taxi hitch-hicking technique was not as flawless as the dober-man believed.
-“But... I am not trying to hurt them or anything...”- Sam replied defensively.
-“Tell that to the second driver, who was literally about to kill you!”
-“I’m pretty sure that I won’t be able to catch up with him.”
-“I think that’s for the best. At least now Grey knows that it’s not the best way to get a taxi...”
-“Speaking of Grey, where is he?!”
The two looked around, searching for the gray husky around the airport entrance’s sidewalk. It did not take long for them to find him.... trying out Sam’s method himself. By the time they reached him, yet another taxi cab was driving off full speed towards the city center.
-“How can you explain that?”- Sam said to Grey in a scolding tone.
-“I thought that pretty face you kept making would help!”- The husky innocently attempted to defend himself.
Dmitri sighed in tiredness and frustration. -“Okay... Let ME now try get us a taxi to the city. Just stay right behind me. If there is any driver insane enough to get us to a hotel, we will find him. Just make sure you don’t jump onto the windows.”
As it turned out, the 22nd driver was the one to be ‘insane enough.’ After getting half of the estimated cost of a ride in advance, he let the three unlucky travellers in, allowing them to finally continue towards the end of their tiresome and utterly surreal journey.

REASON 10 - Theyy have a lot of energy and hardly anywhere to spend it.

[Well, this one is quite self-explanatory. As soon as we left the bus that took us here from the airport, these two--]
-“Brunolf, what are you writing there?”
-“Nothing!” - screamed Dmitri in reply to the playful tone of the husky’s voice. He inmedeately shut the note book close, and looked at the two surprised canines.
-“Nothing? Well, alright. If you don’t want to tell us...”- Grey shrugged before looking for something else to amuse himself with.

---

The three left the tram next to the unusually shaped building. -“From here we’ll take the funicular to the district on the other side of the river. Trey lives not far away from the stop there, so we will be with him in just a few minutes!”- Said Grey excitedly.

-“Does Trey know that we are coming to him?”- Asked Dmitri.

-“Why should he? It wouldn’t be a surprise then!”- Grey smiled cheerfully, yet not so innocently anymore.

Sam and Dmitri exchanged a surprised look. They both were thinking of the same question - Was Grey’s brother willing to have two more unknown and unexpected guests in his house? They both didn’t want to make any trouble while been there, and neither of them was looking forward to having to carry their luggage all the way back to Moscow...

FILENAMEISNOTMYMOODATTHEMOMENTOFWRITINGTHIS.

Aaaaaand that's the end of our little experimentation with styles.
Thanks for reading, and see you next time! (unless someone decides to start a city-wide blackout)
Last edited by VEB152 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

VEB152 wrote:“There was a wide repertoire of choices between fish and chicken,”- Replied Sam in a sarcastic tone. - “We figured you wouldn’t want to have the latter.” - Sam opened the small container with grilled chicken inside.
Something doesn't add up here :lol:
Since Sam said "Fish and Chicken", fish is the former and chicken is the latter. Thus if Sam figured he did not want the latter, why did he get the chicken? ;)
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

"VEB152, not noticing obvious mistakes since 1995"
Thanks Obbl, word order is fixed.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Thank You, Obbl.
VEB152 wrote:"VEB152, not noticing obvious mistakes since 1995"
Thanks Obbl, word order is fixed.
Tell me about it, I was supposed to edit and double check this! (Also, I hardly got around doing so with the other ones.)

GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

*sneaks in*Yay for coffeeshops!

GeckoZY, letting others suffer all of the inconveniences since 1994. Sorry, I should have read trough and checked these before leaving. XD

*sneaks out*
El Psy Congroo
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

And while Gecko pretends that he can't do anything for a few more days, our "heroes" keep travelling West. And East. And North. Well, they go pretty much wherever they want to, sometimes even without a permission.

File 10: Perfect Efficiency

European Route 60 was one of the longest E-roads on the network, second only to Route 40. It began in Brest, France, and continued all the way to the border of China and Kyrgyzstan, with a total length of about 8200 kilometers. On a (relatively) small 190 kilometer stretch of this incredibly long route, Trey was riding the company shuttle bus back home, as he had just finished his work there for the week.

Most of the scientists stayed within the facility during their workdays, since most of them lived at places that were significantly far from it. Inside, they were provided with accommodations for their convenience, and several other sectors were dedicated just to leisure and daily life activities. While Trey did not share the practice, some of the researchers preferred collecting their weekend grants for one long break. Thus, the institute brimmed with activity throughout the week.

Trey was looking forward to that particular weekend. At long last, he could finally relax and read some of the new books he had recently acquired. Two days of pure leisure after days of observing high-power lasers blasting stuff to dust, staring at his screen while writing reports and talking to fellow scientists about the same things over and over again during lunch. The place had decent facilities, including its own recreational library, but nothing was better than the peace and tranquility that his home could provide. Living in the more quiet part of Innsbruck - suburbs on top of the nearby hill - provided Trey with the atmosphere, which was really good for a dog like him.

After roughly three hours of sitting on the last row, which was usually the chilliest part, husky felt the bus turning left from the highway, exiting into the first exit into Innsbruck. At his right, several planes were flying in and out of the Kranebitten airport. It is fairly busy these days, as some tourists were trying to squeeze their vacations into the final days of the extended winter.

~I should probably invite Grey here next winter, I bet that he’ll love skiing with us again.~ - Trey thought, as the bus cut through several neighborhoods in the city. He was mostly staring at the busy commercial district. Local cinema was showing one of the recent blockbusters. Several families were walking along the avenue, after having their Friday night’s dinner. The scenery eventually changed from suburban to just plain vegetation, and the bus started to incline. That was the last uphill leg of the route before the bus would have reached Trey’s home.

After several minutes of seeing nothing but trees, the vehicle eventually levelled and reached the top of the plateau. The road ran close to the cliff, with several houses lining its edge. Reaching the cul-de-sac, the shuttle stopped and the husky hopped of his transport. The last and one of the older cliffside house in the area. It was one of the properties owned by his grandfather. One of the more fortunate buildings that the bank didn’t take after that really complicated legal battle.

The house was fairly modern for the era it was built. It had a simple design, plain colors and quite wide windows for the houses at that time. A three-story L-shaped house, it was constructed in the early 1990s. It had a small pool and also a viewing deck, that was overlooking the city of Innsbruck.

The cool night breeze blew over the hill, making the area freezing even for the early spring. The house appeared to be brighter than usual with the lights of the library and game rooms obviously being switched on - a detail that was too peculiar for Trey to go unnoticed.

~Dad isn’t supposed to be here when I come back. He’s usually visiting his friend in Vienna. The car’s not there so he’s clearly out. I wonder who’s inside?~

Trey crept towards the house, slowly opening the gate, not letting it creak. He took his keys from the bag and slowly approached the front door. He reached the porch and inserted the keys into the door, when suddenly the door flew open and a mass of grey fur plummeted onto him. A slimy liquid was painted all over his face, as the mass nearly literally crushed Trey’s internal organs.

“Surprise!! You weren’t expecting me, right? I’m really excited to spend time with the both of you! How are you doing? I really miss you all...”

“He- e- e- l- p” - whined Trey quietly in "response" to his brother - ~I should stop jinxing myself. Yes, Grey is here, but I don’t think I’ll survive a single night.~

---

As Al left the room, the secretary accompanied him back to the surface. They passed through one of the special tunnels - the one reserved for administrative level employees. Other than them, noone seemed to use it so late in the night. They eventually reached the end and took the elevator up the ground level. They ended up inside a factory, with several machines lining the interior.

“Sir, we are now at Horbranz, Austria. The doctor told me to send you to the nearby hotel. Please, follow me.”

They left the structure, crossing a lightly used highway in front of it. They’ve eventually reached a small marina where several yachts were docked. The moonlight reflected on the lake’s waters, several night picnickers are gathered around a fire on the shore. Al could see a tall structure right in front of him, which was a four star hotel and resort.

Entering the hotel lobby, several tourists crowded the restaurant for their supper. A huge chandelier was hung at the center of the atrium’s ceiling. The hall was lit with a warm yellow tone, giving it a sense of being vintage. Several works of arts and ornaments lined the walls along with a couple of antique chairs and tables. After walking through the groups of travellers, they had reached the receptionist.

“I would like to get an executive suite for this fine fellow over here. He’s really tired and I hope you can get him one quickly.”

“Sorry, madam, but the executive suites are all fully booked right now.”

The secretary flashed a card to the receptionist. The receptionist’s eyes visibly sparkled from the sight of it.

“Hmm, let me see... I can probably move some people here... and these people there... et voila! It seems that we have an extra executive room right now. It has a wonderful view on the lake.”
The receptionist took some keys from the old fashioned holder behind him.

“Have a good evening, sir!”

Al went up to his room, certainly tired of all the travelling around here and there. It seemed like he wasn’t used to this body yet. Al dropped his stuff close to the television and immediately dropped like a rock on the soft bed. A dream played in his mind, composed of random memories of his past.

“Rain.” - he softly whispered in dream

---

Sam was seated in a sofa, reading some book regarding some secret agent. In front of him was Dmitri, staring out at the window into the city. He was having a cup of Earl Grey tea. They were able to arrive just in time to greet Trey’s father that afternoon. Of course, he wasn’t really expecting the visitors, nor was the tackle he received. Delighted about Grey’s visit but still in a tight schedule, he quickly changed into a new unsoiled set of clothes and gave Grey the spare keys to the house. He gave Grey a couple reminders like to not touch anything made out of glass or the collectibles in the shelves.

~Where is that dog? He should stop running around, who knows what will happen to this house if you unleash his full energy here. Well, at least he isn’t making fun of my tail anymore.~

A loud noise can be heard from the background- a crashing sound.

The two guys in the library stood up and looked down the front window. There was nothing there. They went back to their respective past times, but now a new racket outside the room was slowly intensifying. The door burst open, a ball of grey and black fur rolled into the room.

“You’re not going to beat me right now, although you did get a lot heavier!”

-“I already told you! I’m a growing pup!”

-“Growing pup? Yeah, sure. That explains everything!”

-“Hey! At least I’m not a geeky nerd!”

The two continued rolling all over the library’s floor as they argued. One overpowering the other and vice-versa, creating what could be the most efficient engine in the world, converting pure hot headedness into rapid revolution.

-“You know, I shouldn’t have come to visi- Ack!”

The two eventually hit one of the side tables on the library, the vase on top of it tipped over. Sam noticing the two dogs rolling towards the table, pre-emptively dived and catched the vase. The vase’s liquid content spilled onto the doberman’s head, along with a couple of flowers.

-“AHH... I’m sorry!!”

Grey jumped off his exhausted brother and hid behind Dmitri. Sam angrily put the vase back in its place, rushed past a bemused Dmitri and grabbed Grey by his collar. Likewise, he grabbed Trey by his collar as well, and dragged the both of them to the sofa. He simply gave the both of them a deathly stare before to the bathroom to fix himself up.

~Dogs, they really need to straighten up.~ He thought to himself.

THOUGHTTOHIMSELF?ENGLISH,I'MCONFUSED

Thanks for reading, and see you next time!
Question of the day - what else can we blame Gecko for while he can't do much about it? :lol:
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

If I've understood correctly, today is the last day in the "Replacing GeckoZY" series.

File 11: Forgotten Plans

~So, that’s where they are going to stay, relatives’ house. I-i-interesting... ~ - the gray cat thought, while carefully sliding off the curved roof of the funicular station, and jumping off it down to street level. It was getting late in the evening, and the idea of spending several more hours, waiting for the owners of the house to show up did not seem better with every passing minute. Maria shook some dust off her fur, that stuck to her during hours of reconnaissance, and decided to walk down the hill towards the small hotel where Jacob was, probably, already unpacking some of the bags.

The road was quiet, with no one riding or walking along it as far as Maria could see or hear. She pressed a hidden button on her collar tag, and the small radio transmitter turned on with a distinctive beeping sound.

[Good evening, 2002/5. How can I help you?]

“Could you connect me to archives, please?”

[One second]

~At least now it doesn’t beep at me. Why do they even want to add that feature - beep at your every action?!~ - the radio gave nothing but static for a few moments, making Maria slightly worried about its operability, but, at the same time, giving her some time to remember the black husky’s full name again, the one Grey told back on the train.

[Hey, look who’s calling - daddy’s little cat!]

“Max, I’ve told you so many times - stop calling me like that!”

[Heh, you just don’t know how fun your voice is when you’re annoyed... So, need some help?]

“Definitely. I’d like to get some info on Trey Bachs, everything we can find on him”

[Since when you’re interested in actors from 1940’s? I thought you were more modern.]

The cat sighed, trying to keep her irritation not noticeable.

“Max, can you at least try being serious? I’m talking about a husky, who... at least seems to be living in Austria”

[Uhm... I guess we should have something... He’s in Innsbruck, right? I’ll be sending you the file ri-i-ight now! Yes, done. You should get them as you come back.]

~Finally...~ “Thank you, that should help me quite a bit”

The radio beeped once again, signifying that it was - finally - turning off. It took Maria roughly ten more minutes of sliding downhill and walking along the empty streets to come back to the room
where Jacob was already waiting for her with a single sheet of paper, titled “Trey Bachs”

“Max asked to say hello to you, and that if you want something else to read, he can still find “that actor”. What is that about, by the way?”

“It’s just him throwing random phrases at me due to boredom. I’ve been down there at archives, really boring place. Nothing but wires, dimmed lights, and lots and lots of computers... Or whichever fancy word they use for them down there” - she replied, quickly reading the paper. It revealed nothing of interest for her - just a couple of generic facts, like birthplace, education, etc. Even his workplace, despite it being a research facility, showed no connection to the names or places she was looking for.
Dead-end.

“Well, at least that Brunolf is safe for now. No one will try getting him while he is surrounded by “third-party” characters, who have no connection to everything that’s going on - that would attract too much attention... Right, Jacob?”

“Maybe. I am not really used to this ‘protection’ kind of work.”

“Then you’d better get used to it. Tomorrow at 5 you are heading out to keep watching after Grey’s house. Should something out of ordinary happen - you will come back, and we’lll follow them wherever they go”

“And what are you going to be doing?”

“Keeping my fingers crossed! Cheer up, it’s not going to be as bad as you want it to be!”

---

Sam was lucky that the powder room had a couple of towels for guests. He took one, dried himself up, and threw the newly soaked towel into the small hamper at the corner of the room. The library was at the other end of the corridor, on the house’s second floor. Several paintings dating back to 1870s were lining the hallway - probably collections from the family’s head. He walked through the fairly narrow passageway and reached the library, where the others were talking to the newly arrived husky.

“So, I basically work in a research institution there at Bregenz, just two to three hours away from here. I can tell you that it’s kind of fun but I’m not really allowed to talk about the research because everything’s pretty much classified.”

“Brunolf, can you help me hold him? Maybe I could squeeze some information out of this guy.”

“Hey! I don’t want to cause any troubles for the company!”

Trey jumped off the sofa that he was sitting in and ran to the door, away from his crazy brother. Flawless escape was once again interrupted - by a still quite irritated doberman.
“Uh, err... sorry again.”

Sam grabbed the husky yet again by the collar and dragged him back to the seat. Then Sam went back to the recliner and continued with his book, occasionally staring at the two huskies who were just shivering in fear.

“So Trey, how is your brother? Brey, right? Grey has told me some stuff about him.” - asked Dmitri, trying to ease the tension.

“Oh, him. Well... he’s living somewhere around Bregenz with his father. He’s into sports and all that stuff. A resort in the nearby town of Horbranz currently employs him as their lifeguard. It’s kinda an expensive place, so I don’t frequently... visit him.”

~”Why does that town sound familiar? Horbranz... resort... WAIT A MINUTE!! I completely forgot about Karl! There’s only that one resort over there and if I remember correctly, we’ve scheduled that trip for tomorrow.”~

Dmitri was about to ask another question, when he was cut off by the seemingly interested dober-man.

“Hey, guys! Can we go to Horbranz tomorrow!? I bet it’s nice there at this time of the year. Just imagine it: two days of just swimming, water sports and eating good food. Isn’t that fun!?”
The doberman gave them the best smile he had. Dmitri was shocked by a sudden change in attitude, and the two huskies were seriously considering calling the mental institution to take Sam as far away from Austrian borders as possible.

Eventually , Trey was able to ask the most crucial question of it all.

“Uhm, Sam... we can’t really a just pop up there and spend that much money. That would be impossible, my allowance won’t even barely cover that. And I believe that Grey here spent all of his money on food in the train” Trey patted Grey’s belly, who immediately grabbed brother’s hand in an attempt to hold it back.

“Oh, don’t worry, I have it all covered.” Sam replied with a grin, similar to those from toothpaste commercials - that could probably blind people as far away as Vladivostok.
A grey blur filled his vision and then it eventually faded into black. Yay for the most overused transition in the history of cinema!

---

“Hey, could you carry that to the jet. I don’t want to be late for my vacation at the Manor. You know that it’s not really that close to the resort and that I still need to fix my own stuff once I arrive there.”

The butler Nino Rovy Ruy dragged the heavy luggage to the dog’s personal jet, a heavily modified 737. It had it’s own mini control center, a meeting room, compartments for the luggage and vehicles, bedroom and one of the most sophisticated entertainment systems that you could find.

A light night’s drizzle fell down from the sky. The airfield’s tarmac was now soaked, with the butler running back and grabbing the umbrella from the vehicle.

“I apologise for making you wait in there, sir. Now all the luggage is on board. And now let me, please, escort you to the plane.”

The sound of raindrops hitting the ground was ironically relaxing. Even though it made his fur a bit wet and have a smell.

After boarding the plane and drying the german shepherd up, the butler waved to his fur covered master as the engines of the plane started. He stepped out the plane and went back to the limo, sitting in the drivers seat, as the jet took off the runway and disappeared in the cloudy skies.

IDONTKNOWWHATTOWRITEHEREAGAIN.
ANDBYDESCRIBINGANISSUEIHAVESOLVEDIT.INGENIOUS

Please, point out any other obvious mistakes that I didn't see on the 4th re-reading, and I will correct them as soon as I found out how did Yugoslavian cover of "Strangers in the night" find its way onto my mp3 player :shock:
Last edited by VEB152 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

VEB152, who has been doing this for some time, wrote:Noone
*ahem*
"Noone" is pronounced "Noon", or (if you're Strong Bad) "New Neigh"
"No one" is pronounced "No one" ;)
However, "everyone" is still the correct way to do things. Weird. :|

Also, e.t.c. implies that each letter stands for something (like "every tumbleweed counts" or something).
It's just short for etcetera (which is short for et cetera), so etc. is fine.

Ah, Sam. You forgot to take your subtlety pills again this morning. :lol:
VEB152

Post by VEB152 »

Weird, indeed! What kind of language this English nonsense is, if it can't follow the same idea for the similar group of words?! :lol: Okay then, I'll go to fixing that one, and wondering why I can't remember anyone pointing that out earlier. I either payed no attention, or got memory-wiped...

As for "e.t.c."™ - no idea how I wrote this :shock: I tend to overuse dashes (and those yellow smiley faces), not periods. Thanks for pointing that out as well!

---

Sam had to spend the whole day next to Grey, locked first in the same plane, and then in same tram. I can understand him! :cry: