The story of Silver the Cat. A Housepets story

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

The Moon Howler

The story of Silver the Cat. A Housepets story

Post by The Moon Howler »

Greetings, people of All ages!
Merry Christmas!

I know I am not exactly known to follow my own story to the end, but the nice Mods of the Fan Projects section gave me a second chance, which I am ready to take. For this I am thankful to them. During my first story, I received some constructive ideas which I intend to implement this time for the sake of making the story even better than it's predecessor.

To this end I want to thank (once more) Rick Griffin for allowing me to use his characters in my fiction.

I hope you will enjoy it! I apologize for any typos I've made! And feel free to criticize!

The Moon Howler presents:

The story of Silver the cat

Prologue:

Sounds of steps were echoing through the corridors and the Great halls. Someone was running. Soon other sounds joined the steps – voices, many voices. But were they happy or sad, were they joyful or sorrowful? Who or what was causing them? It wasn’t clear. But they were closing… and soon the source of those sounds was revealed: they belonged to a large group of children seven boys and five girls. A second later it was clear that these were just having fun – running through the hallways – boys and girls alike, laughing and joking. They came from behind the corner, playing tag.
The children reached a giant twin-winged door, which opened and let the kids in a giant Hall with frescoes on the walls, showing great and epic battle scenes from ancient times. In the middle of this Hall a beam of light illuminated the floor from an opening in the ceiling.Behind it, on the other side of the hall, there was a magnificent, majestic throne made of gold, silver, polished stone and gems, created by the best craftsmen and builders in all the Nine realms – the dwarves.
On that throne was sitting an old, one-eyed man in battle garments of a norse King. However, that man was no ordinary king, for he was the master of Asgard – Odin, the Allfather.

“Allfather! Allfather!” the kids screamed, excited.

Odin smiled at the happy children.
“Greetings, children of Asgard! I bid you all welcome in the Great throne room of Valhalla!” He greeted the children. “I believe you, younglings, have requested my aid. What can the Allfather do for you?”

“A story!” the children answered as one “Tell us a story, Allfather!”

“A story, aye? A tale?” Odin asked, scratching his beard a few times before he clapped his hands together and laughed. “ ‘Tis a fine Idea!” he stood up and headed out of the Throne room “Follow me to the Library, children, but once we enter you must be quiet.”

“Yes, Allfather.” The Asgardian children said as one yet again as they followed the Great God through several hallways and corridors before reaching the Great library.
Once the god opened the door, he turned to the kids and put a finger on his lips, gesturing them to remain quiet as he sneaked behind the Librarian as he was currently cataloging something (as always). Once he was right behind the man, Odin crossed his arms on his chest and spoke out with a loud, booming, powerful voice.

“How dare you to not greet me, Librarian?”

The poor man screamed, startled, throwing the book he was holding in the air. The librarian quickly composed himself and turned around to see the one who startled him. Once he turned around, his eyes widened as he began to bow and apologize to Odin, who by that time managed to grab the falling book. Out of pure interest, the Allfather examined the cover of the book…

“Hmm” Odin said “Nice book! Thank you, Librarian… And you can stop now…”
The Great god added, slightly annoyed.

“Yes, Great Odin! As you wish, My Lord! Thank you, oh Allfather!”

The god sighed. He hated when others were overdoing it. Sometimes even he, Odin the Allfather, was craving for some peace and quieted… or some time with the Asgardian children – he loved spending time with them.

“Please follow me!” The Librarian said, standing. He led the Allfather and the children to a smaller, more secluded room through a simple wooden door on the far side of the library. That room was small and round in shape. The walls were covered with shelves filled with Tale-books – perfectly suited for children. In the center there was a big chair in front of which there were many small chairs for the children.
The younglings quickly sat down, excited. Odin smiled, sat on the big chair and opened the book. Before he started reading, he glanced at the children once more. They were quiet, ready excited. He knew by the looks in their eyes that they miss a single word.
The Allfather’s smile widened as he began reading the tale…

----------------------------------------
Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Silver was born in the middle of summer, but unlike his brother and sister was half-blind, with only his right eye seeing. His fur is silvery from where his name comes. His eyes have different colors – left one is green and right one - blue. He was a happy cub, playing with his purple-furred sister and Dark Grey-furred brother. He had a loving Family, but his happiness did not last long. Soon after his first Christmas he was adopted by another human family, but unable to meet their high standards, he was abandoned a few months later, living about two years as a stray, until he was found by ASPCA and brought to their shelter. At first he was angry, distrustful and disobedient because he felt betrayed and who could blame him?
But a woman, worker at the shelter, called Kelly Seether, didn’t give up on him as the others did. After failing yet another GOE, she took him to her home for a few weeks, so that she tries to turn him better. The first week was painful for her and her pets, who tried to convince him to change in every way they could think. They all failed, but one night of the second week - the day before Christmas Eve, he managed to sneak out of the house and was able to speak with another stray, that managed to get his paws on an old Santa hat, which he was wearing.

“He he, you got it easy there, youngster” said the Old stray. ”These people are good, understanding. They offer to you all that they can. Don’t judge them as being bad as a whole. While there are indeed bad people, don’t forget that we aren’t much more different than they are – there are bad animals too, you know.”

Silver stood relentless on his opinion. “Oh yeah? Will bad pets kick you on the street just because you can’t live their way?” Silver didn’t want to believe that there are any good people left on this world. “And what do you know about people? You are just a Stray old cat, which NO ONE wants!”

“Is that so? Listen here, youngster, I wasn’t stray my whole life! In fact I did have family, and it was MY own fault I got abandoned! I had all I needed, but wasted it! Instead all I had left was my Arrogance! The same Arrogance I see in YOU! After that I wandered, but wasn’t able to find myself another family. But due my travels, boy, I learned a valuable lesson” the old cat made a dramatic pause and then continued. “Do you want to know what I learned?”

The old cat’s speech woke up Silver’s curiosity.
“What have you learned? Tell me!” Silver asked.

The old cat smiled and said: “Very well, I will tell you! Due all my travels I have learned a lesson. Lesson I will never forget. Listen, Boy, and listen well: While there are many bad humans indeed, there are many good of them as well, like for example that woman you live with now. You still don’t understand?” the old stray sighed “Have you ever watched someone having a dinner with their pets in their warm, cozy home? How did you felt? How do you think they are feeling? Imagine now that one of their pets sees you, staying outside in the cold, alone and starving, while he’s having that dinner in his warm, cozy home? How will he feel? What will he do?” the old stray turned “Ask yourself these questions, and you will find the answers to the questions that trouble you.” The Old stray finished and then simply walked away.
After a few steps the old stray turned. “One more thing, kit, just keep in mind the things that I told you!” Silver saw tears in old cat’s eyes “Give them a chance! Don’t let my mistakes to be yours too!” He continued to walk and turned behind the corner.

Once he was out of sight, the cat stopped. A figure of a large, chubby man in red suit approached the old feline. The moment the figure stopped, the feline’s hat jumped from his head on its own and in mid-air it turned from old and rugged to a brand new green one and from it jumped a tiny figure that grew to the size of the cat standing next to him – it was a dwarf, but not any kind of dwarf – he had a long, braided orange beard and green suit – he was one of Santa’s best in both mastery of toy-making and helping others to find the wonders of Christmas.

„He’s a tough nut to crack, big S.” The dwarf said “Hard, but not impossible. I did my best. Time for you to swing your magic! I will go and make sure the slay is all prepped up.” The dwarf said and disappeared in a flashy sparkle.
The red-suited figure looked at the cat and said “You kept your promise and now I will too. I will fulfill my wish. Prepare yourself.” The man said, taking the old cat’s paw in one hand and snapped his fingers. Both of them simply disappeared.

---------------------------------------

As the stray was walking away, Silver watched him, unable to say anything. That night he was quiet, he even denied dinner, just stood by the fireplace and watched the dancing flames. He was thinking about what the old stray said to him. That night it snowed. Next day, he was still quiet, yet a bit more polite with others. That night he asked to join the dinner. He was allowed to. While he was actually enjoying the dinner with the others, he looked at the window. But what he saw shocked him – out in the dark and cold there was a stray cat, watching him eating, having fun. That stray’s eyes spoke of both anger and sorrow, and of pain – something that he felt not long ago. Silver then realized what the old cat was trying to teach him. He turned to Mrs. Seether and asked:

“Look at the window … Mom… look at the cat that is watching us! I was the same as she is now! Can she come here for the night?” he asked. Then suddenly he realized how quiet all the others got. They were staring at him. They were surprised, but Silver couldn’t blame them, for he was surprised himself.

“Well … okay, if you can convince her I will be happy to share our dinner with her” Kelly smiled. “And she could stay for the night. Maybe she will agree to come with me to the shelter?”

"Our…” Silver kept that in mind.

“Don’t worry! I will manage to convince her to join us for dinner. After all, no stray denies free food!” Silver smiled. “But for the other stuff, it is up to you to convince her. Now, if you excuse me…”

--------------------------------

Silver walked out of the house and spoke to the Stray, waving to get her attention.
“Hello there! Want to join us for dinner and for the night even?” Silver said. ”It is cold at night these days!” He saw her surprise and confusion by the offer. It made him smile inside.

“Hi!” She waved back, obviously suspicious and somewhat confused ”But why are you asking this some unknown Stray?” she asked distrustfully.

“Believe me or not, I too was in your place not so long ago. I know what the feeling of being a stray is. So how about my offer? Do you agree?”

She looked troubled. “Won’t your owners be against an unknown stray to come into their house?”

“Don’t you worry about that!” Silver smiled. “She agrees! I asked her before I got out here. So what is your answer?”

She smiled “Okay then, I accept your offer! After all, no Stray denies free food! And … um … thank you for being so nice to me.” She was indeed thankful. “Not many of you house pets are so nice to strays such as myself." She looked down “And even less of you will do what you did just now. Thank you!”

That stroke Silver deeply and a tear of Pride appeared from his eye. He quickly covered it. They both got in the house. That night in the house they had a great time with games and jokes. And since it was Christmas – everyone received a gift.
Later, by the fireplace, Silver was once again watching the fires dancing, but this time he had hope. For the first time in a long while, he was really enjoying the flame’s dance.

“Can I keep you company by the fire?” the stray was staying close to him.

“Of course, it is always good to have a company.” She sat next to him. “By the way, I am Silver.”

“Natasha” she introduced herself and smiled. “I never was near a real Fireplace before. And … I want to thank you again, Silver. I spoke to the nice lady and I will agree to her offer.” She made a pause. “She also told me that it was your idea to bring me here.”

“Indeed it was my idea, and there’s no need for you to thank me.”

“Why did you do it?” Natasha asked “Why did you do that for someone who you don’t even know?” She snuggled him “This is a question I was wandering the whole night.”

Silver focused on the fire, but he wasn’t able to hold his tears anymore. He cried.

“Wait… are you … crying? Did I somehow insult you?” Natasha looked confused.

“No, it is not you … it is just… I didn’t want you to become like how I was just a few days ago – filled with arrogance, hate and distrust. I didn’t realize it myself…” He looked at Natasha and then at the fire again. “What an Irony to be taught a lesson by an old stray. What he told me I didn’t understood at first, but then I realized what he was trying to teach me, it was you that finished the picture. Can you even imagine what I was before?” he choked by his tears “I was a monster! I hated everyone! And I thought that everyone hated me! I didn’t wanted to understand the world in any other way!” he burst into tears again.

“Oh come on, that can’t be true, you are such a nice guy!” she hugged him “It is not important what you were before, but what you are now. What I see next to me isn’t a monster, but someone who wants a second chance!” she kissed him “Someone like me!”

That kiss came suddenly and unexpected, and Silver blushed. Natasha giggled at the way he was looking. Then they continued to talk and laugh by the fireplace all night. It was Tuesday. They both stood until the end of the week.
On the next Monday they both stood by the Mrs. Seether’s car, waiting for her to take Natasha to the shelter.

“Okay, are you ready Natasha?” she asked “Today is your big day!”

“Yes! I am ready! I know I will do that GOE successfully!” Natasha was looking excited, but so too Silver.

“Kelly … Mom … I think I am ready too!” he said “Can I try my luck with the GOE once again?”

“So sudden?” Kelly asked “Are you sure you are ready?”

“More than sure!” Silver’s look was covering that statement. She just smiled and let him in the car.

As promised, later that same day, they both passed the GOE and were ready for adoption.
Before he parted with Mrs. Seether, Silver asked to talk with her in private.

“Thanks for everything you did for me, and I want forgiveness for all the hard time you and your pets had with me.” His eyes were getting wet “I know that these first days I was a total jerk, but these last days I realized what I had become. If it wasn’t for you, I would have still be hating everyone and everything…” He cried “It was your relentless kindness and trust that gave me my hope back again! You and a few wise words from an old cat.” He hugged her. “You shall always stay in my heart … Thanks!”

She was also crying by that time “You will stay in my heart too, little one. May you find yourself a good family with loving parents.”

“I wanted to tell you a secret, but a secret I need you to keep between us! Will you do it for me?” asked Silver.

“Sure thing, Silver, speak your mind.”

“Well, I am half blind.” Silver’s face was serious “I learned how to live with it, but I don’t want anyone to pity me, because of it. I never told anyone about it. You won my trust, and I am letting you on that secret of mine. I hope you won’t tell anyone about it.”

She was surprised by this act of honesty, but it only lasted for a few seconds. “Thanks for letting me know your secret, Silver! I really appreciate that! And I promise I won’t tell anyone.”

Silver just smiled and waved for goodbye, as he was walking to his spot in the shelter. But this time, he wasn’t afraid of it anymore. This time, he was ready. On the next day, he was adopted by a young man, called Steve Duncan, and they both went to New York, for with his new Dad to find a new place to live, to begin everything anew.
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: The story of Silver the Cat. A Housepets story

Post by copper »

Oh hey! This is back! Nice seeing you here again Moony!

If I remember right, this does have mythological elements in it, so I will enjoy it. Is this going to be real Norse mythology or Marvel Comics Norse mythology?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
The Moon Howler

I'd rather call it my interpretation of the Norse mythology.
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Your interpretation? Interesting...

Also, how closely will this follow the original?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Hmm, quite an interesting entry. Especially Odin's annoyance at the librarian. xD
There are some grammatical errors here and there, but overall it's a fine read. And this is the first fanfic I've read in a while too :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
The Moon Howler

For now I will try to follow the story as close as I can. That doesn't mean I will just copy/paste it.

Also do mind that english is not my native language, and though I try to minimize them - there will be typos from time to time, for which I once again apologize in advance

My RP Characters