Old Christmas Fanfic

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

ShadowLightning

Old Christmas Fanfic

Post by ShadowLightning »

It's been a while since I last wrote something here. Anyway, I wrote this little fic somewhere around the middle of December. I was planning to post this here by Christmas, but due to things and events getting in the way, I had to reschedule. But even then, I failed to finish this. It's still not done yet, but I'm posting what I've already done for some constructive criticism. Still undecided on whether or not I feel like finishing this though... but anyways, enjoy this little late Christmas fanfic!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night is cold, just like every night during Christmas. The snow has nearly covered everything by its white blanket. And yet, despite the frigid weather, a lot of people are still outside; Christmas shopping, caroling, spending time with their friends and their families, and the like.

And here I stand in front of the giant Christmas tree here in Babylon Gardens. It’s amazing how wonderful it looks even though it’s aged so much. The bright Christmas lights around and other ornaments really do make you feel like it’s that time of the year again. That joyful season filled with happiness and all that other carp humans say. And yet, almost every Christmas I’ve had since I was just a puppy felt… nothing. They all felt empty and devoid of any happiness whatsoever. Maybe it’s because I spend most of them by myself. Or, maybe because I’m working in an organization that kind of prevents you from feeling any happiness due to circumstances I am not allowed disclose. It’s most likely the former though. I mean, I don’t mind not being happy. I’ve been that way for as long as I can remember. But having to be alone this year for Christmas just makes me feel a little… well, lonely. I could care less about how I feel about anything just as long as there’s someone else there with you. But no, this year, they just had to send me away.

“It’s just a month off, Snow. It won’t be that bad.”

A whole month of nothing to do but sulk around in my loneliness. What a wonderful way to spend my Christmas vacation.

I sigh and gaze up at the night sky. The stars are shining bright and the moon is full. I see tiny little snowflakes fall from the sky and I catch one with my paw.

“Hmmm… I can see why they named me Snow.” I tell myself.

My fur is completely white like the snow. Under this weather, it would be hard to see me if I wasn’t wearing my blue scarf.

“Well, this is a surprise.” I hear a familiar voice from behind me. “I’d never thought I’d see you around here again.”

I don’t even bother to turn since I already know who it is. “Fido…” I say under my breath.

“Making a wish on a star, huh?” he asks.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that…” I say, still not looking at him.

“So, what did you wish for?”

“Hmmm…”I paused to think. “I wished I didn’t have to spend Christmas by myself.”

“Well, your wish came true!” He steps in front of me with a smile. “Now you’ve got me.”

I roll my eyes at his pathetic attempt at making me smile. “Still part of the K-9 Unit I see… I’m surprised they still didn’t kick you out yet.”

“H-hey, you don’t have to stay stuff like that.” he nervously laughs. “What’s with you anyway?”

“It’s… nothing.” I look away from him. “Sorry, just… leave me.”

“Why?” he asks curiously.

“It’s none of your concern, alright?” I say firmly. “Why are you even talking to me?

“You look lonely.”

That’s one way of putting it. “And?”

“And it wouldn’t be right if I just leave you all by yourself.” He places his paw on my shoulder. “Come on, you’ll freeze to death if you stay out here too long.”

I let out a sigh of annoyance. “Don’t you have a girlfriend already?”

His eyes grow wide and his face blushes. “H-how did you…?”

“I’m not stupid, Fido. I’ve seen you and that cat girl together a lot.”

“R-right…” He looks away from me. “But what’s that got to do with this? I’m just asking you as a friend to come have a cup of coffee with me. You know, just have a little chat. It’s been awhile now since we’ve last seen each other after all.” The last time I saw him was years ago. Hmph, still, I’d hate to spend this holiday alone again.

I sigh and cross my arms. “Fine. Let’s go.”

Fido takes me to a coffee shop not too far. On the way there, it felt like I was being watched. It’s as if someone was following me.

“Probably nothing.” I say to myself.

The coffee shop he takes me to had barely anyone around. It looks like we’re the only customers here from the looks of it.

“Is this okay? I mean, aren’t you supposed to be on duty or something?” I take a seat at a nearby table.

“Nope. My shift doesn’t start till later, so I got time to kill until then.” he sits down on the seat in front of me. “So, what are you doing back here in Babylon Gardens?”

“Well, since it’s Christmas, I got a month off from my… job.” my voice trails off at the last word. “I didn’t have any place in mind to go to so I just wandered around going from place to place and then I got here.”

“Hmm, okay…” he takes a sip from his coffee. “Then that means you’re still…”

“Yes, Fido. I’m still part of the organization.” I glare at him. “Why? You’re not gonna turn me in, are you?”

“What? No, no! I’m just curious that’s all.” he says nervously. “Anyways, what have you been doing recently?”

“Like I said, I’m just wandering around, not having anywhere else to go…” I take a sip of coffee.

“Really? What about your family?” he asks.

I raise my eyebrow at his question. “Pardon?”

“Oh, right, sorry…” he scratches the back of his neck. “I… I didn’t mean to…”

“Save your breath. I know what you mean.” I drink some more coffee.

“R-right…” he bashfully says. “So, how long are you gonnna stay here?”

“Not that long.” I look out the window. “I’ll be leaving later tonight.”

“Leaving where, exactly?” he asks.

“Anywhere.” I say, still looking out the window. “Doesn’t seem like there’s much for me to do here …”

“Why don’t you stay here a little longer?” he suggests.

“Why should I?” I take another sip from my cup. “I don’t know anyone else here other than you.”

“Then why don’t you go make some friends?”

I give him a menacing look. “You’re joking, right? You do know my “job” prevents me from having any sort of connections with anyone I don’t know.”

“What about me?” he asks.

“What about you?” I repeat.

“You say you’re not allowed to make any “connections” with anyone you don’t know.” he reiterates. “So what does that make me?”

“Well, you’re… different.” I turn away from him.

“And how am I different?” he asks again.

“Would you stop that already?” I say irritated. “You sound like you’re interrogating me.”

“Sorry…” he apologizes. “It’s just that… I wanna know what’s happened to you for the past few years. I’m just concerned since it’s been so long since I’ve seen you.”

“And this will be the last time.” I finish drinking the rest of my coffee.

“Huh?”

“I’m leaving.” I stand up and head for the door. “It’s been nice seeing you, Fido.”

“Hey, wait!” he stands up to stop me.

“What?”

“I just realized I haven’t given you a Christmas gift yet.”

You’ve gotta be kidding me. “Excuse me?”

“Well, it’s almost Christmas and… I’m just wondering if there’s anything you’d want to have.” he smiles almost sheepishly. “Think of it as a parting gift.”

I rub my paw on my forehead. “You really serious?”

“Of course.”

I let out a disgruntled groan. ‘I can’t believe he’s doing this…’ “Let’s take a walk.”

“Huh?”

“I said, “Let’s. Take. A walk.”.” I repeat. “That’s all I’m asking from you. A walk, outside, just the two of us.”

“Really?” he asks.

“Yes, really. Now let’s go.” I open the door and head outside.

“H-hey, wait for me!”

It seems like the snow won’t be letting up any time soon. It’s even colder now than it was just about an hour ago. Normally I wouldn’t mind this sort of weather. But, recently, I’ve been feeling colder than usual.

I wrap my paws around my scarf, hoping that it would keep me warm.

“Are you cold?” Fido asks with a concerned tone.

“No, I’m alright.” I lie.

“You sure? You’re shivering.”

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.” I lie again.

“Right… cause you’re name’s Snow. I forgot about that…” he chuckles.

I scoff at his joke. ‘You’re really hilarious, aren’t you?’

We continue walking down the streets of Babylon Gardens. The crowds of people have started thin down. It’s probably getting late, from what I can tell. I don’t have any destination in mind, so we just keep walking.

My thoughts are scrambling for a conversation starter. It’s been so long since I last talked to him. Usually he’s the one who starts the conversation and I just nod along to whatever he’s saying. I never thought it would be this hard.

As I continue to think, I start to remember things. The events that happened here a few years ago, what happened to him, me, and everyone else who got involved. Sometimes I think back about it and feel guilty. Why did I do it? Why did I even come back?

“Fido?” I say in a weak tone.

“Yeah?”

“Do you think I’m… evil?” I ask out of the blue.

He stops walking and gives me a puzzled look. “What do you mean by that?”

“I mean… I’ve done some things. Things I’m not proud of. Things I’m guilty of doing.” I try to say. How should I put this? “I’ve done these things to people who don’t even deserve them. And I didn’t even bother to think how this will affect them. Does… does that make me bad?”

“Snow…” he’s at loss of words. I would be too if someone suddenly asked me the same thing.

“I’m sorry.” I wipe away the tears that start to form in my eyes. “Forget about it. It’s nothing.”

“That was not nothing.” he says. “Look, I know you did a lot of things you’re not proud of. I get that. But you shouldn’t beat yourself up too much about them. What happened before doesn’t matter. What matters is what you do now.”

“But…” I look at him. “What do I do now?”

“That’s up to you, Snow.” he smiles. “What you should do, or what you want to do, is your decision.”

“Yeah, but that’s the problem…” I chuckle. “I’m not exactly sure what to do.”

“It’ll come to you.” he gives me a reassuring pat on the back. “Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you’ll find out soon.”

“Thanks.” I smile back at him. “Well, this is where we part ways.”

“You sure?” he tilts his head.

“Yeah, I can walk by myself from here.”

“Okay, good bye then.” he starts to turn around but I catch him before he could leave.

“Wait… one more thing. Before you go…”

“What?”

Uhh… how do I put this in words? “Fido…” Wait, don’t say it. You don’t know how to so don’t. “Um….” Hey, remember, actions speak louder than words, right? So just do something instead of saying it.

With that in mind, I pull him closer to me and wrap my arms around him. “Thank you.” I whisper to him.

He returns the hug and I feel his own arms around me too. “For what?”

“For everything.” I pull him closer. “You’re one of the nicest people I’ve met. I’m glad to have you as a…”

Don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it!

“…friend.”

Whew, nice save.

“You’re welcome.” he pulls away from me and smiles again. “Merry Christmas, Snow.”

I return the smile. “Merry Christmas to you too, Fido.”

He waves goodbye and finally leaves. I watch as he turns and walks away. Some part of me kind of wished he didn’t go while another part wished I went with him. I stand there for a few more minutes, taking in what just happened, what I just did.

‘He’s gone now…’ I think to myself.

What am I doing? Why do I keep having these thoughts about him? Am I going crazy or… no. Don’t even go there. I’ve been through this before, and I’m not gonna go through it again. I’m just bringing up bad memories. I’ve been through enough already and I’m not just gonna waste all that by being broken down again.

I take a deep breath as I turn around and walk in the other direction. As I continue walking, I feel a familiar presence. It’s the same one I felt earlier.

‘Hmmm…’

I take a quick turn down an alley. I feel his presence again, only closer. There’s no doubt about it. It’s him. He’s been watching me all this time. I just couldn’t notice him before. He’s been here the whole time and I was too oblivious to sense him.

“Alright… I know you’re there.” I say out loud.

No response.

“Come on, you’re not fooling me. Just come out already.” I yell louder.

I watch from the corner of my eye as a dark figure slowly steps out of the shadows. A tall canine enters my peripheral vision. His fur is a dark crimson color. He wears a hood of the same color which conceals most of his face, but I can still see his silver eyes. “Clever little husky, aren’t you?”

“What do you want, Red?” I give an irritated look. “Did the boss send you to spy on me again?”

“You could say that…” he vaguely says.

“What, he doesn’t trust me or something?”

“Apparently…”

I let out a frustrated groan. “Really now… if he doesn’t trust me enough, then how come he’s giving me a month off?”

“Maybe he’s testing your loyalty.” he shrugs. “You were the kind to stab people in the back.”

“Yeah, I guess so…” I cross my arms. “And you? Why are you here?”

“I came here to check on you.” he says.

I tilt my head to the side. “You came here to check on me?” I repeated.

“Yes.” he nods. “I was worried about you.”

I give him a concerned look. “You were… listening, weren’t you?”

He keeps silent and turns away guiltily.

“You don’t have to worry. He’s an old friend. He won’t tell anyone about me, or the rest of us.” I smile at him reassuringly.

“How can you be so sure?” he asks. “How can you just trust someone like that?”

“The same way you trusted me and the others.” I answer.

He stays silent again.

“Besides, shouldn’t you be worrying about someone else?” I walk closer to him.

“I don’t know what you mean.” he looks away, trying to act innocent.

“You know who I mean.” I say at his face. “Aren’t you worried about him, Red?”

“I don’t have to worry about him. He’s got someone else looking out for him.” he says with a bitter tone.

“But he’s your brother. Aren’t you at least concerned about him?” I ask.

“He’s fine. He’s better off without me.” his voice trails off. “Besides, what’s there for me to be concerned about?”

“Well, he’s been acting a little… strange, lately.” I start to remember all those times he’s disappeared every other week. “Maybe it’s about time you tell him.”

He contemplates for a minute, and then shrugs the idea off. “Like that’ll change anything…”

I try to say something but I keep my muzzle shut. He doesn’t like talking about it, and neither do I. “If you say so…”

“Anyways, I have to get back to HQ.” he prepares to leave but turns to me again. “And Snow…”

“Yeah?”

“Take care of yourself, okay?” he says with a worried tone.

I nod and smile reassuringly. “I will.”

He nods and turns to leave. He walks in the other direction and soon fades away back into the shadows. It’s almost as if he was never even here.

“He really has to teach me how to do that…” I recall all those times I’ve attempted to teleport myself. All of which ended badly. I smile at the happy memory. I rarely have any good ones that I can remember.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, it ends there. I know the ending's a little abrupt. I'll try to continue it whenever I can. Again, comments, suggestions and the like are appreciated. Thank you.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Old Christmas Fanfic

Post by copper »

It is definitely an intriguing beginning! I cannot wait to learn more.

So this is a Christmas fic? A lot is happening to end within a month it seems.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?