Wanderer of the West

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Wanderer

Wanderer of the West

Post by Wanderer »

This story takes place in the same Housepets universe a few centuries ago, meaning there will still be cute anthropomorphic animals that can talk. It will just be placed in a previous era. Traditional characters like Peanut, Grape, or King will not appear in this story because it would be anachronistic of them to appear hundreds of years before their conception.
I don't know how often I will update this. I am very lazy.
I know that my descriptions aren't very colorful, but this is just fanfiction, not a novel.
I can't promise that I will finish this. I'll try, but I probably won't. Sorry...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanderer of the West

I do not know where I was born. I do not know my real age, for I have never seen any authentic certificate containing it. I was taken away from my mother only hours after my birth, forced to be ripped from the comfort of my mother’s warm breast into the cold hands of my unforgiving master. I slept in a pen accompanied by dozens of those like myself. They kept me warm, sheltered, and well-fed until I was old enough to work for them.

I worked day and night with barely any time to rest and recover. I always felt a surge of indignation whenever my master shouted at me to work while he sat idly in his chair with a cigar in his mouth. After every day of strenuous physical labor, my master gave me mush. He always gave us just enough food so that we would not rebel. While my master slept in his comfortable home, I was to sleep on the cold, bare earth. My miserable situation was worsened by the laughter of children. They were only a few months older than me but lived a life of luxury without work or pain. While I tilled soil, they ran all over the field, making my life harder. While I herded sheep, they pretended to be rulers of a faraway land. O, how I wished to play alongside them! They were free to follow their ambition. My fate was sealed; I had no choice but to perpetually perform menial tasks; I was destined to have a life of drudgery. What did they have that I did not?

Unfortunately, others of my kind did not share my dissatisfaction. They were content with their lot in life. I was an alien among my own kind. They preferred to live an unfulfilling life in exchange for security. I was appalled by their submissive nature. They almost seemed to enjoy working for their masters. I would never stoop down to their level. I desperately wished to escape the farm but lacked the wits and agility necessary to complete such an endeavor.

Only one person shared my feelings and desire to escape. Her name was Katherine. She was unlike any other being I had ever seen. In my struggle to cope with hardships, she was the only one who would encourage me. One whom I may talk to and share my thoughts without fear of judgment. She supported me and gave me a reason to live. She was a true companion.

We always exchanged ideas about how we may escape this infernal farm. But as much as I wanted to leave, I could not muster up the courage to carry through my plans. If I failed at my attempt, there would be grave consequences for both me and Katherine. We could not escape until we were absolutely certain that we would not be caught. So we waited and waited until the pieces were all set in perfect arrangement.

Our master had left the farm to travel to the city. He would not be back until next week, which gave us just enough time for us to escape. Our master assigned his brother to watch over the farm while he was gone. Luckily for us, his brother was quite dull and often forgot to lock the door. As soon as he lay down to sleep, I sneaked in the house and took a bunch of matches as well as other equipment. After making sure no one was in the barn, I lit the matches and set the barn on fire. I figured they would worry more about losing the barn than losing two dogs. We climbed the fence and ran as fast as we could away from the farm. I turned around to check if anyone was chasing us. It was truly a breathtaking sight. Seeing the farm, the symbol of our oppression, burning violently put my soul at ease and made me happy.

But alas, my bliss was ephemeral. It just so happened to be that my master had cancelled his trip and returned early. After he realized what was going on, he recognized our flight and began to pursue us. We had already run a great distance when he saw us. As tired as we were, we kept running. We were breathing frantically, trying not to stop until Katherine tripped and fell. I shouted at her, telling her to keep running. However, she was too exhausted to keep moving; she could no longer move her legs. I should’ve run back and helped her stand up. I should’ve at least given her a parting look. I didn’t do either; instead I kept running into the darkness.

I finally stopped running when I could no longer hear the clopping of the horse’s feet. I was finally free from my master’s will. I was now free to do whatever I wanted. I was no longer bound to the land. I was supposed to feel the greatest joy. Instead, I only felt an aching sense of emptiness. I felt nothing but pain and sorrow. I felt as if a part of me was lost.

Ever since that day, I was a fugitive. I was a restless wanderer on the earth.
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Re: Wanderer of the West

Post by JeffCvt »

Wanderer wrote:I can't promise that I will finish this. I'll try, but I probably won't. Sorry...
You should put the commitment in to finish it. If you think that way you're thinking now, it's not going to be finished.

Onto the story:
It seems like it's going to be kind of dark. The start was.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Everything I write is dark. Ha, well, not really.
It really depends on what you think is dark. It probably won't be as dark as my last piece of writing.
I'll try to finish it! I just need to be bored enough to write. :)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

wow, real downer.
I can't wait for more. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hmm. So far this looks promising. But I can't say yet is your fan fiction good or not until you will write more. but there is perspective in this. All what is needed is good will.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Looks good so far, just be mindful of the rating.

I like it! Seems like a good story with a lot of potential. Please continue. :)
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Luna werewolf

Post by Luna werewolf »

Onwards.
Forever bored,
Forever excited,
Forever in love,
Forever lonely,
Forever understood,
Forever misunderstood,
Forever bad,
Forever good,
We are everything.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

This reminds me of George Orwell's Animal Farm, though the animals stayed and fought for control over the farm against their oppressive human master.

It looks promising. I look forward to more.