Checkmate: A Game of Chess - Fanfiction

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

~\Rook/~

Checkmate: A Game of Chess - Fanfiction

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Hello and welcome!

---

To start your journey with Rook and Maxine, look four posts down for the introduction!

Izarc's story is not currently up. It will hopefully be on page 2. (When we get to it.)

---

The posting here will be irregular, but they will eventually be here!
Just have to have a little patience..

Enjoy!

---
(Edit Notes: 19/05/2013: Structuring old posts out to make them nicer! ~ 13/08/2013: Edit.)
Last edited by ~\Rook/~ on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Checkmate: A Game of Chess - Fanfiction

Post by copper »

Good luck! I look forward to this attempt, and hope you finish it.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Thank you copper! I do too.

---

Reference & Ideas page!

This will probably (and hopefully) be heavily edited!
Key System: - Protagonist:Main character, Duh.. - Secondary: Largely used characters. - Extra: Little used or just spoken of..
Protagonists

Rook: Fun loving and energetic, this Tuxedo cat know how to make someone happy, even if things are looking grim. His most defining features are the tan patch around his left eye (As shown in my profile picture!) and his 'happy-go-lucky' attitude. he loves all things in nature, yet tends not to get out much. His dad calls him 'Rookie boy'.

Maxine: A true 'girl about town', this Himalayan has a knack for being too dramatic about, sometimes, the smallest of things. Ever since she moved to the neigbourhood from italy or spain, she can't quite remember, she's been like an older sister to Rook. Even though she's one year younger than him! She hates anyone who calls her 'lass' because of the amount of times her father called her that. she puts up with it from him, though..
Mr(Alan) & Mrs(Anise) White: Secondary - The loving parents of Rook. They will always look out for him and even treat him like he's their actual son. Alan's father was a chess legend, and this is where Rook got his name.

Mr & Mrs Florell: Extra - Within this story, their names will never be said. Nor will they be spoken of much. the reason they moved was because of an economic downturn in the profits from Mr Florell's business. They also got kicked out of the country for a different reason, which is NEVER spoken of..

Anya Florell: Extra - Daughter of the Florells. Sweet and inocent, she's Maxine's bestest friend.

Other characters: I only have names for them, all of them pets..
1) Bishop - Cat: Unknown Breed - Male - Extra - Lives with the local Vicar, father Jameson. Speaks in quotes from the bible.
2) Knight - Dog: Chocolate lab - Male - Extra - Lives with the Black family. Strictly a 'non-cat' person. Think of Bino but MORE evil.
3) Zugzwang - Dog: Scottish terrier - Male - Extra - No home. Ecentric 'town crazy'. speaks erraticly and never makes much sense. - Thanks to Copper for the name!
4) C.J - Cat: Tuxedo, yet brown instead of black - Unknown gender - Secondary - Lives with the O'Darrell family. Extremely shy cat who NEVER leaves their family home. Maxine is their only friend.
5) Speck - Cat: Unknown Breed - Male - Extra - Old Boyfriend of Maxine and local stray, Although he doesn't admit it..
Note: Any ideas will be added and you will be given credit. Any scenes/storylines you can think of will be written, yet not within my main storyline.

Thank you for any contributions!

---
(Edit Notes: - 19/05/2013: Refurbishment of this page - 20/05/2013: Added more Characters)
Last edited by ~\Rook/~ on Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

To use a chess term, maybe Zugzwang? for the scottish terrier?

Otherwise, I'd go with something like Arwen or Lugh... something Celtish in origin.
My characters
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Once again, copper, thank you! That shall be added to the Ref. page!

---

Introduction to Rook & Maxine's Story is Here!

Prologue: Beginnings: The boring bit..

---

This is where I'd put the introductory settings and such where you'd get the atmosphere and ambiance.. But I haven't thought of them up yet.. So all you get is this:

Somewhere in England in a universe close to ours, pets and animals are just like children, with personalities and voices.. And opposable thumbs! This is where our story starts.. In the midlands, close to Birmingham within a boundary of forests.. A small town called [Insert Name of Town]* a young cat sits on a doorstep, looking up a the sky..

---

Part 1: ..The Interesting bit.

---

Rook stares at the clouds above him, pointing out shapes that resemble objects in his mind.

..That one's a turtle, that's upside down for some reason.. ..Oh! that one looks like a truck! That's cool.. that one looks like Ma-

The young Tuxedo cat is thrown off of his thoughts by a taller, Persian-looking cat standing in front of him.

"M-Maxine! Hi!" He says, trying to hide that he was surprised by the other cat.

"Day-dreaming again, Rook? Wha'cha' doin' on the doorstep all by yourself?" Maxine asks, motioning her paw for Rook to scoot over so she can sit.

"I was uh, looking at the clouds for shapes.. See? That one looks like a upside-down turtle!" Rook says, sifting over and pointing.

Maxine sits down and stares up into the clouds. "I don't see it.." She mentions, squinting in the daylight.

Rook shakes his head an scratches his left eye, which has an un-natural tan patch around it. "Never mind.. Anyway, you wanna go to the park?"

"Nah, I just came over to see you. I didn't really want to come out today.." Maxine says tiredly.

"Why's that? feeling unwell?" Rook asked, with slight concern.

"No, I went the vets yesterday an' they said I had a clean bill of health." Maxine says, looking down.

"Ah, so what DO you want to do then?" The tuxedo-cat asks, leaning forward and back lazily.

"Dog do I know.. Speaking of dogs, There's a new one coming soon. Goin' to live with the Olson Family 'down the road.." Maxine says matter-of-factually.

"Huh, seems more pets are moving here for some reason.." Rook says enthusiastically. "Why is it mostly dogs, though? we need more cats around here.."

"Well, Humans sometimes prefer dogs then cats, that's just a thing.." Maxine says, thinking about it. "But you are right, we do need more cats or they might start a club or something!"

"Hah! Dogs having a club?! What will they call it? 'The good ol' dogs club'? Heh, I'd like to see that.." Rook laughs, picturing a little shed with a sign above with the name in black marker.

"yeah, sound silly.." Maxine agrees, rubbing her arm. "Can we go inside? I'm getting cold.."

Rook nods and stands up lending a paw to Maxine and they enter the door behind them.

---

This part is a little short.. But a good start! Read on!
Last edited by ~\Rook/~ on Sun May 19, 2013 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hmm, yes, That does sound strange.

Nice introduction. I see you have softened Maxine up a bit.
My characters
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Indeed, my good man, indeed.

---

Part 2: Longer, Better..

---

The thud of the door behind them signaled Rook and Maxine's entrance into the white household.

"MO-OM! Me and Maxine are gonna hang out in my room, OK!?" Rook shouted, holding a paw to the side his muzzle.

"Geez, boy! I'm right here! D' you want to shout a little louder, I don't think Mr. Gatsby down the road didn't quite hear ya!" Came a man's voice from behind the back of the sofa facing them from the livingroom.

"Sorry, Dad.. Where's Mum?" Rook asked, walking up to the sofa and leaning over it.

"She's in the garden, why?" Mr White asked, looking up from his seat and rubbing Rook's cheek.

"Heh, I forgot to tell her something this morning.." Rook said, leaning into his hand.

"And what would that be, you fusspot?"

"That.. Uh.. Darn I forgot again.."

"Hmph, can't keep your mind on two things eh?" Mr White said jokingly, ruffling the cat's headfur.

"Yeah, I'll tell her later when I remember again. Anyway, We'll be upstairs. Shout if you need me!" Rook said, smiling as he pushed off the sofa and turned to face Maxine, who was smirking at him. "What?"

"Nothin', Jut D'awww!" She said, then burst out laughing.

"Hmph! Whatever.. C'mon.." Rook huffed, swishing past her and up the stairs. Maxine just smirked again then followed.

Up the stairs, the landing turned to the right. Along it there were three doors.. Two to the left, one to the right. Rook walked up to and entered the far left one, a coathanger wrapped in paper with the words 'Rooks Room' written on it, the letter 'K' drawn backwards.

All Rook's room consisted of was of his bed, in the far right corner, a very large bookcase in the left far corner, dominating the room, and just to the left of the door a short chest of drawers with a TV DVD combi on top of it, amongst other thing such as a second mint green collar, same as the one Rook currently had on, a collection of bottle-caps in a small, unkempt pile, and a figurine of a popular anime character.

"Welcome to my domain!" Rook said triumphantly, sitting on his bed.

"Hm, not much in here, huh?" Maxine said, looking around.

"It's enough. All the useful stuff."

"And this is useful?" Maxine asked, picking up the figurine.

"Hey! that's the collector's edition! Highly rare!" Rook gasped, hopping from the bed and taking it from Maxine.

"Sorry! honestly, I was only looking.." Maxine stated, stepping away from him.

"No, my fault.. My stuff's precious to me.." Rook apologized, carefully placing the figurine back in it's exact spot.

Maxine just sighed and walked over to the bookcase. It was very grand in size, almost didn't fit in the room and every shelf was filled with books and nick-knacks.. "That's a lot of books.." Maxine said.

"Yeah, my private collection.. Novels, comics, non-fiction.. I'm reading through each one.." Rook said, standing by Maxine.

"Really? How do you keep track? there's so many.." Maxine asked, waving a paw towards the many shelves.

"Simple really, I started from the top and worked down.. That one there I'm currently reading.." Rook pointed to a thick red book poking out from the rest, two shelves up from the bottom on the far right. "Everything above that I've read already.."

Maxine stood in awe at the amount of books. there's seven shelves above Rook's current book, every shelf filled to the brim.

"Wow, you really are a nerd.." Maxine said blatantly.

"HE-EY!"

---

"..But what happens to him!? I wanna knooooow!" Maxine moaned, lying on her back on the bed.

"Shush! I'm reading this one.. You'll have to wait 'till I'm finished!" Rook stated, sitting on the floor with his back to the bed, A book in his paws.

"C'mon.. Just a peek!? I promise I won't ruin it for you!"

"No.."

"Pleeease!?"

"No!"

"Rook.."

"NO!"

The room went silent.

Rook then heard a muffled sob behind him.

"Gah.. Maxine.." He huffed. "Look, I'm sure I'd of finished this book by tomorrow, you can read it then, ok? So don't cry.. Ok?"

The sobbing stopped. "O-Okay.." Maxine said pathetically.

Rook sighed and stood up, folding the book around his thumb as to keep his place. "I think I have some tissues here.." He stated, walking to the chest of drawers and opening the top-most draw.

Within; A long worn scarf, same color as Rook's collar, piles of DVDs, set into different genres, and a small box of tissues.

Rook retrieves the box with his free paw and shuts the draw with his elbow.

Maxine rolls over and curls up, facing the wall. "Here.." Rook says, holding out the tissues in front of Maxine. She turns and takes the box from him, wiping away the tears caught in her fur.

Rook looks away, thinking. He then pads over to his bookshelf and picks up a thin, leather bookmark on the fourth shelf and places it in the leaf of pages his thumb was between. After he puts the book back in it's place, he sits on the bed next to Maxine and places a paw on her shoulder.

"Maxie.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be so hard on you.. I'm just a little overprotective of my stuff, especially my books. It's my fault, okay? I promise you you'll be able to read it tomorrow."

Maxine rises and looks Rook in the eyes, her own still twinkling with beads of tears. "Thank you. I'm sorry too.."

They stare at one another for a brief moment..

"Rook! Dinner's ready! Maxine may join us if she wishes!" Came a female voice from downstairs.

Rook's head instantly turned around to face the door. "There in a sec, Mum!" He shouted. "C'mon, race ya!" And with that he hopped off the bed and shot out the room.

Maxine just sat there, the most quizzical expression on her face, then turned into a smile. "Hey! Cheater!" She called out, then clambered off the bed and out the bedroom door..

---

There! this one's much longer, but filled with content! Just what you want in a story!
Character Reference
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Guess what!? Double post!

I'm bored so I felt like writing more..

Here!

---

Part 3: More..

---

Maxine reached the bottom of the stairs hoping off the second step.

"Ah, finally decided to join us then?" Mrs White asked as Maxine entered the kitchen, placing a fourth plate at the table. As Maxine sat, she could feel the smell of pizza wrap around her.. The flat boxes on the kitchen counter suggested that it wasn't home cooked..
She sat down next to Rook, who was positively salivating. The two pizzas were laying on larger plates in the center of the dining table, the left was for Mr and Mrs White, the right for Rook and Maxine.. Pet friendly of course! Didn't make any difference though since it was all very delicious!

"Wow, thank you Mrs White.. That was great! My father doesn't let us have junk food that much.." Maxine said after finishing off the last piece on her plate.

"No problem, Maxine.. it's nice to be thanked for once.." She said with a glare at Mr White and Rook, who were still eating.. "Anyway, how have you been since I last saw you? Been up to much?"

"Not much.. Anya showed me how to do maths last week when she brought homework. It quite complicated.." Maxine said, her thoughts drifting through the times table.

"Mm, you get used to it eventually.. May I ask why she was showing you her homework?" Mr White asked through a mouthful. "Sorry, not meaning to intrude in 'girl talk'.."

"It's fine, Mr White. I don't really know.. But I think she felt sorry for that I had just broke up with that tomcat, Speck.." Maxine said.

"You broke up with WHO!?" Rook blurted out, astounded.

"Y'know.. That other cat I've been hanging out with.. His name's Speck. He lives with the old man.. Well, in his back garden.." Maxine answered.

"YOU WENT OUT WITH THAT FERAL!?" Rook screamed, a crumb of pizza falling out of his mouth.

"he ISN'T a feral! He's misunderstood.." Maxine retorted, folding her arms.

"Rook! No shouting at the dinner table!" Mrs White scalded, turning from cleaning up the counters behind them.

"Rrr.. Whatever.." Rook grumbled.

Maxine glared at rook for a moment, then hopped off her seat and headed for the livingroom.

"You forgot to ask for pardons! Hey!" Rook said and hopped off his seat also.

"Rook.." Mrs White said lowly.

"Mum! Maxine got away with it!" Rook protested.

"Maxine is a guest and may leave whenever she wants.. You on the other hand.."

"Oh, lay off him, Ani.." Mr White cut in.

Mrs White sighed. "Just this once.. And I mean it.."

Rook nodded and went off.

"Alan, you let the boy off too much.." Mrs White said.

"Ani, he's a cat, not our son.." Mr White stated, finishing off his meal.

"He should still be shown dicipline.." Mrs White retorted. "And if you think your going off without handing me your plate.."

Mr White stopped halfway out of his seat. "How do you do that?" He asked, picking up his plate.

Mrs White just turned and smiled, took his plate, then started on the washing up..

---

"Maxine? You up here?" Rook asked, standing at the top of the stairs.

"Go away.." came a voice from the bathroom.

"Maxie.. I'm sorry.. again.." Rook said, walking up to then leaning on the bathroom door. "You can't stay in there forever.."

The door opened and Rook fell through it.

"Gah! You.." Maxine said as Rook nearly fell on her.

"Ow.." Rook stated.

"Get up, you silly cat.." Maxine said stifling a giggle.

"Thanks for helping.." Rook grumbled. "and coming out.." He added in a lighter tone.

"Can't stay mad at you for too long.. And who I go out with is none of your concern.." Maxine said, giving Rook a paw in dusting himself down.

"I guess.." Rook murmured.

"Anyway, it's getting late.. I should head off home. Anya and Father would be angry with me.." Maxine said. "Thanks for a nice day.. Even if you upset me twice.."

"New world record in my books.. Normally it's three.." Rook said jokingly.

Maxine gave him a fake punch in the shoulder, but smiled and walked past him. "See you tomorrow, Tell Mr and Mrs White thanks for dinner.."

"I will. Goodnight." Rook said and waved as Maxine headed downstairs and out the door..

---

The spring-morning sunbeams glistened through the trees outside Rook's bedroom window as a small radio alarm blasted on, waking the occupant of the bed.

Urgh.. Morning already? Rook thought as he slipped a paw out the covers and slapped the top of the radio, turning it on 'sleep mode'.

Mmm.. Five more minutes should-Wait.. it that weight on me? Maybe I just feel heavy.. No! Wait! it moved slightly.. Or was that me? Gah, I'm still tired.. It moved again and I swear I didn't.. Who would.. Rook shuffled onto his back an folded the cover from over his head to find..

..Himself face-to-face with Maxine on top of him!

"G'morning!" She said, smiling.

"WHAT THE HACK!!??"

Maxine almost fell off the bed with Rook's outburst. "Whoa Geez, Good morning to you too would've been nicer.."

"What are you doin' in here!? Who let you in?" Rook shouted, shielding himself with the covers.

"I was waking you up.. Mrs White said I could come up.."

Mother, I will kill you.." Rook thought.

"..What?" Maxine asked, staring at Rook.

"Nothin'. Could you please leave? I need to get my collar on.. You've completed your mission.. " Rook asked, looking away from her.

"'kay, touchy.. I can see why she said I was crazy to do so.." Maxine said as she got off Rook's bed and headed for the door.

Okay, mother.. I shall spare you this time.. Rook thought.

---

As Rook exited his bedroom, shutting the door carefully, Maxine was leaning on the wall on the other side of the hallway.

"Happier now that your not nude?" Maxine asked, smirking.

"shut up.." Rook muttered, then headed to the bathroom.

"Where you goin'?" Maxine asked.

"Bathroom. Unless you'd like to join me?" Rook stated lowly, his paw on the bathroom door.

"Ew.. Fine. I'll be downstairs.." Maxine smiled, then headed off.

Rook sighed and entered the bathroom. What the dog was mum thinking letting Maxine in my room without my permission? It doesn't make sense.. Rook thought as he pulled out the footstool from under the sink then stood on it. He stared at himself in the mirror before he turned the taps and started to wash his face.

..Plus, that's known as intrusion of personal space! why would she do that!? Crazy little.. Rook ended his thoughts as he finished washing his face. He sighed and put away his stool and exited the bathroom.

As Rook headed downstairs, Maxine and Mrs White were having a conversation about.. Something, whilst Mr White watched TV.

Of course.. it's Saturday.. Rook remembered, then felt a little sad.. "Morning, everyone.." He said a cheerily as he could.

he hit the bottom stairs and swiveled around the banister and into the livingroom. His usual morning entry move..

"Morning, Rook. Apparently, Maxine startled you as you woke.. Your ok, right?" Mrs White asked, turning from her and Maxine's conversation.

"Yeah.. Sorry I was so.. Startled.." Rook said to Maxine as he sat with his dad on the sofa.

"it's alright, Rook.. Anyway, I thought we'd hit the Mall today, how about it?" Maxine said, being quite positive. Which is not quite like her..

"Uh.. Can we?" Rook asked questioningly.

"Maxine already asked, and I agreed. We'll give you a bit of spending money, too!" Mrs White said, smiling.

"R-Really!? AWESOOOME!" Rook shouted as he jumped up with glee.

"Guess your happy with that then?" Mrs White laughs. "Alan, Cash?"

Mr White Rolls his eyes. "Why don't you use those savings in the jar.. I can't-"

"We'll do nothing of the sort, Alan! You know what that moneys for.." Mrs White said, Cutting him short.

"Right, right.. Ruddy cutpurse.." Mr White gave in, pulling out his wallet.

---

And the Mall fiascoes will be in the next part!
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

My, my, Maxine is quite sensitive.

Rook needs some sort of locking mechanism for his door... keep out those unwanted intruders.
My characters
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Heh, maybe Rook should take a look around the DIY store at the mall :D

Sadly, this isn't the next part.. But is a short story for you to enjoy!

---

Short Story: People can be weird..

---

..So I was out for a walk couple months back around the center of Birmingham, when I saw this guy playing a guitar on the side of the street. He was really good..

Nobody was paying the guy much mind but me.. they weren't even glancing at him, just passing him by as if he weren't there.

So I walked up to him and complimented him on his guitar play, making idle conversation. He thanked me and asked if I'd like to make a request. I obliged and asked if he knew any Lynard Skynard. He said he did and started to play 'Sweet home alabama', my favorite song. Before I knew it I just started dancing, right there in the street! But i didn't care, as I said, he was REALLY good..
As soon as I started, almost everyone around started noticing me and the guitar guy.. They gathered around and stared to bob along with me, putting loads of pennies in the guy's guitar-case!

When he finished, everyone clapped and added a few more pennies in before they left. The guitar guy thanked me again, then started packing his stuff away. He also told me that he'd be there every thursday, if I ever wanted to have another request. after we talked for a while longer I thanked him for the offer and I waved to him as I walked away, with a quater of the change he gained.. Dunno why he gave it me. Was a nice offer though..

So, that was my story of the guitar guy..

My name? oh, it's Speck.. Yeah, weird I know.. Breed? Uh.. I don't know.. All I do know is I'm a cat!

---

Next part of Checkmate will be up at some point!
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Your name is Speck? Okay.

Nice story. I like the dancing kitty image.
My characters
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

I know! I should try drawing it sometime..

---

Part 4: Mall? I mean Shopping Center.. Darn American words in my head..

---

Standing in front of the large entryway to 'The Pavilions', Rook and Maxine stare up at the huge sign above the doors.

"Ah, I love this place.. It has so many good places.. Where to first?" Maxine asked, smiling happily.

Rook stood beside her thinking for a moment before answering. "How about the coffee place on the far end? I fancy doughnuts.."

"Tch, you always 'fancy' something.. you'll get fat.." Maxine said wryly, prodding him.

"He-ey!" Rook moaned, prodding her back. "Anyway, how about it? Maybe hit that clothing store you like on the way there.."

"Hm, fine. But your paying for my food too.." Maxine said, stepping in front of him and entering the doorway.

"Oi! No I'm not!" Rook protested, following her.

-~-

At the clothing store, 'Belle's Boutique', Rook was sitting on a long sofa in front of the dressing-rooms.

Why did I even let her in here.. He thought as he glanced at the five bags laying beside him, filled with random ensembles of clothing.

Finally Maxine appears from one of the dressing rooms carrying the T-shirts she had tried on earlier.

Rook sighed with relief as she walked over to him. "We finally done?" He asks.

"Yup. That's all I wanted. Let's go eat.." Maxine answered, picking up the bags from the sofa and sauntering off towards the checkout.

"Why do you need all this? It's a lot of clothing for just one person.." Rook commented as they left the store.

"It's not all for me, silly. Some of it's presents for C.J and Mell.. I do have other friends you know.." Maxine said, handing a few bags for Rook to carry.

Rook rolls his eyes and takes them. "I do know..It's just that you like all that, what if C.J an' the other one don't?" Rook said, looking into one of the bags.

"I know what they like.. At least I know what Mell likes, C.J I'm not so sure.." Maxine answered, turning and weaving through the crowd.

"Well, then how can you be sure the things you picked out for them will be good?" Rook guessed.

"Woman's instinct, silly boy.. I just know.." Maxine says sarcastically.

They arrive at the coffee shop, 'Costa Rossa'.

As Maxine settles onto a table, Rook says he'll get the stuff and walks to the counter.

"Erm, Hello? Can.." He starts as he reaches the counter, but it's slightly too tall for him. He grabs a nearby chair and stands on it.

A clerk comes over to the bar, an unhappy look on his face. "Yes, sir, what can I get- hang on.. what are you standing on?" He asks, leaning over.

"Oh, uh.. I couldn't find a child step anywhere so.." Rook said, a little embarrassed.

"Ah, understandable.. We don't have any. Anyway, what can I get you?" He states, leaning back and reaching for a notepad.

Rook breaths a sigh and starts his mental list. "Right, I'll have a bag of doughnuts, no sugar, some pet-friendly cream buns-"

"Uh, sorry but we don't serve those anymore.. we do have some shou pastry buns, but that's without the cream.."

"Oh, guess we'll have those then.. And two glasses of milk." Rook says, slightly disappointed.

"To eat In or take?" The man asks, jotting it down.

"In. how much is that?" Rook says, reaching into his collar.

"Uh.. It is £5.83.." He replies.

"Sure.." Rook flips out two fives. "Here. We're the table by the left window. Could you bring it over?"

"You know, we're not supposed to, but since your the first cat I've seen order something, I'll deliver it myself." The man smiles appreciatively.

Rook smiles back shyly. "Heh, thank you." Rook says and steps off the chair and shuffles it back to where he found it.

Maxine was searching through one of the bags as Rook arrives back at the table. "Hey, they don't do those buns anymore.. But the guy says he has some shou buns for you.. Is that okay?"

"That's fine I guess.. Did you get us milk too?" Maxine says, not looking up.

"Yeah, I also asked him to take it over here for us too.. He was kinda strange about it though, he agreed to because 'It's the first time he's seen a cat order something'.." Rook answered, rubbing his ears.

Maxine was surprised, and looked up at Rook. "Really? Huh, maybe there aren't many pets in Birmingham.." She stated.

"Maybe.. That or their owners usually do that stuff, like mum does usually.." Rook said, sitting down and mulling it over.

Just then, the clerk came over with a tray. "Here you- Oh, hi, you didn't say you had a friend with you.." He said, surprised to see just two cats. "Where are your owners?"

"They're out shopping somewhere else.." Rook said, smiling. "Thanks for bringing this over."

The man puts the tray on the table. "No problem.." He sighed. "Sorry, it's just.. Ah, little unusual for me to serve.. Pets, heh.."

Rook and Maxine give each other a look. "It's okay.. Its a little strange for us to be here by ourselves.." Rook said, stifling a nervous laugh.

"Heh, yeah.. S-sorry if I offended. I-if you need something else, call for me. Name's Jefferey.." He said, shuffling backwards then turning and walking away.

A moment of silence passes..

"What a strange man.." Maxine says, then takes her milk and plate of buns.

"Seems nice, though.." Rook agrees, sliding the tray towards him. "Can't blame him though.. It's as weird for them as it is for us.. You gotta remember that this isn't a pet-friendly kinda area.."

"What, like that place you saw on the internet? That, uh.. Something-Gardens, right?" Maxine said before she took a sip of her milk.

"Yeah! It's a place where pets have as much freedom as kids, Kinda.. Remember?" Rook says, taking out a doughnut out of the bag.

"Hm, I didn't think it was real when you showed me, and I still don't.." Maxine said pointing a bun at him, then eating it.

"Whatever, I think it'd be good if that was true 'round here an' home.." Rook says, then took a bite out his doughnut.

Mmm.. Just the right consistency.. Delightful! He thought.

-~-

Later on, out in the streets of Birmingham..

"Mum, why isn't this place pet-friendly?" Rook asked as they roamed a Tesco superstore.

"What? What do you mean 'pet friendly', Rookie?" Mrs White asked, picking up a bag of fresh tomatoes.

"Y'know.. Like that place in America.. A place where dogs and cats have rights like kids an' stuff?" Rook says, suffling behind with a carrier-bag.

"Hm, I don't know honey.. It's a good idea, I must admit.." Mrs White says, inspecting the tomatoes quietly.

"Well, y'know.. This guy in a coffee shop said it was weird for me to order stuff by myself.. I don't really want that to happen again.." Rook murmured, lowering his head.

Mrs White stops and kneels down to his level. "Hey, it's alright, dear.. What did this man say exactly?" She asked, taking Rook's chin and tilting his head up.

"H-he said 'It's the first time I've seen a cat order something'." Rook said, a tear in his eye.

"Now, why does that upset you, hon? was he mean about it?" Mrs White said comfortingly.

"I-I don't know.. It made me feel un-superior.." Rook said, rubbing his eyes.

"Inferior, and you shouldn't be made to feel that way.." Mrs White corrected him.

"T-Thanks, mum.." Rook said, smiling slightly. "Can we carry on with the shopping now? People are starting to look.." He added, pushing her shoulder lightly.

-~-

Back at home..

Rook was laying flat out on the sofa in front of the TV, his eyes barely open.

"Hm, it looks like it's someone's bedtime.." Said Mrs White as she entered the living room from the kitchen.

Rook yawned and propped himself up on his elbows as Mrs White sat beside him. "I-I'm not tied.."Rook lied, rubbing his eyes.

"Hm, and I'm the arch-bishop if Canterbury.." Mrs White remarked sarcastically, rubbing the young cat's headfur. "Go to bed, you'll thank me in the morning.. Go on." She added, pushing him lightly.

"Alright, alright.. 'night.." Rook moans, shuffling off the sofa and dragging his feet to the stairs.

"Goodnight, my little ball of fur.." Mrs White says quietly, smiling to herself.

---

This part just makes me wanna D'AWWWWWWW!!

I think i've gotten better at this.. I just need more descriptive words..

Final part will be next week! (I'm thinking of doing five parts to a chapter!)
Character Reference
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Might want to learn your tenses a bit better. You are mixing them a bit here and there.

Aww, Rook and Maxine go shopping.... Maxine likes clothes a bit much for a pet it seems. :?

Poor Rook. Hope he can feel better soon!
My characters