What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Burning Desire: The Power Within

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

oh yay, you'll keep writing.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Nah, man.
For me you are fine...I can't speak for the others though... :?

Still waiting with a bittersweet feeling the conclussion. Can't say I'm "looking forward" to it.
Will be here anyways.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I am just glad you will be writing still, and look forward to it!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

JeffCvt wrote:Alright everyone, as you have probably figured out by now, my last post was an April Fools prank. Enjoy it. It's not that easy to write that bad. In fact, it's hard. Harder than you think.

But I'm sure this leads up to a question some of you may have now:
Was I serious when I said I was ending Burning Desire and Everchanging Hearts or was it only so I could play this prank?

The answer is both. I will be ending Burning Desire and Everchanging hearts soon, but not in only one super rushed update. It will still be a while, and I probably won't put quite as much effort into them as I have before because I no longer have the desire to keep up such a complex story.

And I will also let you all know this will not be the end of my HP fic writing career. I will be continuing the story of Jiff, Kyria, and everyone else I created in a fic that takes place after Burning Desire ends. I plan on this being more light-hearted and just an overall fun thing that basically follows my characters as they live their (Probably comical) day-to-day lives. Pretty much what the comic is except with my OCs. And yes, that means there will still be a winner from the character contest that gets permanently added.

I hope you all aren't too mad at me, but I've been waiting to do this for an entire year. No, literally an entire year. I came up with the idea last year on April Fools day.
Please don't hurt me.
Well, Sir, you got our attention for sure
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

I just started reading this a few days ago. I must say that I'm impressed with the writing style. I've always been a fan of the third-person and narrator styles, so it's cool to see one written in them. You really had me going for a couple of minutes with that April Fool's Day joke. I couldn't even get all the way through it... too hard to read without getting lost in the grammatical corrections my brain tries to write. (Yes, in my mind I re-write things as I read them so that they're grammatically correct.)

It's kind of too bad that you're ending the Burning Desire fic. I was really enjoying it; getting into the struggles that go on inside the characters' minds. The whole "Who am I, REALLY?" with Bino was especially enjoyable, and I think you can do a lot with it. I'm going to miss the character development.

But an author's gotta do what an author's gotta do...

If I can make one recommendation though... don't stop writing. Even if you stop the Burning Desire and Everchanging Hearts fics, keep going with another project. (I know you said that you plan on writing another series with your characters combined with the HP cast, and that's good.) An author with your potential shouldn't stop doing what he/she is good at, and you are good at this. Every author makes mistakes and grammatical errors. If they didn't, there probably wouldn't be any newspaper editors, ever. So don't beat yourself up over the spelling and grammar. I know I make mistakes in my writing. MS Word tells me I write at a 6th grade level. (I disagree, but we can debate that elsewhere...)

Finally, if you feel like you need to rush through this to clear up time for other things, relax. Even though there are only 24 hours in the day, you don't need to spend massive amounts of them at a desk trying to come up with plot points and dialogue. I recommend that you keep a memo pad on you at all times, and when you get an idea, write it down with bullet points. If you've read "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis, you might remember that the first book in the series that he wrote was from an image he had in his head of a fawn standing in the snow, carrying books and an umbrella. All the rest of the whole series was expounded from that one thought. So when you get the "exclamation point above your head" write it down and take two or three minutes at a time to think about it.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

TheOne, that post you made has given me more motivation to keep writing than I've had for a while.

While writing Burning Desire, I basically wrote myself to the point I was sick of it. Writing wasn't fun for me anymore, so I decided I just had to stop and let myself recharge. Only recently have I started writing again. And sure enough, I'm finally figuring out what it is I like to do. Copper can vouch for that.

I've actually written 3 short stories in the past few weeks (Less than 2,000 words each). None of them were related to HP though, so I can't post them here. I'm finally figuring out what it is that I love writing about and what kind of stories drive me to write. I had kind of gotten away from that as I wrote more and more of Burning Desire.

I can assure you that soon enough I will continue this. And that when I finally end it and start the next fic, it will continue some of the stories started here (Like Bino and Kyria). In the meantime, I have some other stuff I would like to try and write to figure out more about my strengths and weaknesses. I actually have a request from a friend of mine to try and get an update out before we graduate, so I'm going to try and make that happen.

I hope that once I finally start again, you will all find it worth the wait.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

All of your work is great, Jeff. I finally got to finish reading all of your work thus far, and I must say it is great work.

I will tell you the same thing that I have told my friend, Darc.. Just relax and take your time. We understand what it feels like when you just need a break, or sometimes, interests are lost. First things first, just take care of yourself and enjoy life. :) You have all the time you need, and you still have this fan, dude. If you ever need to talk, just send a pm, I'll answer when I can.
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^