Housepets! Fanfic: Getting to Know Yourself

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Housepets! Fanfic: Getting to Know Yourself

Post by copper »

A nice. long update! Awesome stuff.

Dag sure knows what to say. Too bad he forgot about his raid, huh?

This is well written. The transitions could use some work, but then again, look who's talking. I am horrible with that sort of thing! :lol:

Can't wait for the next one.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure how to handle moving perspectives quickly, so...that monstrosity happened. Oh well,shouldn't happen too much!

Now that I think about it, Dag does seem to always know what to say...I can't tell if that'll turn out bad or good. Storytelling-wise, at least. Might get a bit stale if it keeps happening.

The smile on my face couldn't be bigger. I loved writing this, and I love the praise (but not as much as the writing). I just realized I didn't put an Author's Note that I meant to, in my rush to post. D:
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Woohoo, another update! :D

I concur with copper, Dag sure knows what to say in any given situation, but I guess that is what makes him him.
Dag wrote:This may just be instinct, or maybe I read it on the internet somewhere...
The internet is definitely a best friend, she even gives you insight you on how to deal with these situations XD

And the last sentence got me. Really.

Nicely done, Daggy! I'll be waiting for what you have to give in the next update! =D

P/s: I'm not really an expert in terms of composition, but the transitions seem just fine to me :)

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

^.^ Glad you guys enjoy it.

So, you all know how life sometimes imitates art or something like that, ya? Well, I got mad just a little bit ago at something stupid that happened while I was playing, and just alt f4'd out. Came back a bit later, and the person I had come comfort Dag in my story, Prias...is the first person to ask what happened to make me rage quit like that. That made me smile, and glad I picked her to play that part in my story. It makes me trust the decisions I made on characterizations of my life in this story.

In other news, I'm going to TRY and get back onto a real update schedule. I have plenty of ideas to play out, and tons of time to do so. At worst, it'll be something like Monday/Friday/Next week's wednesday. A bi-weekly. At best, Sunday/Thursday, weekly updates. All depends on how things play out! Especially since I'm becoming a tiny bit more busy.

Again, thanks for making my day that much better with your comments. It really means a lot to me.

P.S. I found out why I hate short updates so much. All of my first attempt at a fanfiction, oh so long ago (3-4 years ago), were like...400 word updates, in a Microsoft Word document. The shortest one here has been like...1.8k? That last chapter of mine was 2.7k-2.8k. And I just want to keep making them longer. D:

P.P.S. I am extremely wordy. hahahaha.
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

I feel like I came late to a party- another great update Daggy your ability to convey emotions is absolutely amazing! -excellent work truly.
The shortest one here has been like...1.8k? That last chapter of mine was 2.7k-2.8k. And I just want to keep making them longer. D:

P.P.S. I am extremely wordy. hahahaha.

in my opinion- 2.2K - 5.0K is the perfect size for fan fic update without getting too overwhelming for the reader, you do an excellent job at balance! and don't worry about worry being extremely wordy as you're in good company. :lol:
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Kondog wrote:I feel like I came late to a party- another great update Daggy your ability to convey emotions is absolutely amazing! -excellent work truly.
I try my best! Still feels a bit off, but that's probably just the modest side of me talking.
Kondog wrote:in my opinion- 2.2K - 5.0K is the perfect size for fan fic update without getting too overwhelming for the reader, you do an excellent job at balance! and don't worry about worry being extremely wordy as you're in good company. :lol:
Totally on topic, I just realized how hard it is to write a chapter when you have literally no planning for what's going to happen.

This is so incredibly difficult, hahaha.

P.S. Definitely going with Monday/Friday 1 week, wednesday next week. (Last update was on a friday, today is wednesday...etc.) That'll be good!

P.P.S. Getting quotes to work properly with colors is amusing. Learning all sorts of silly things. ^.^

Alright, I finished the update. I'm not entirely happy with it, but a lot happier with it now than I was 30 minutes ago. Oh well.

I hope you enjoy it!

====Chapter 6: Attraction====

Dag’s room – 7:30 AM

Lola woke up gently the next morning. Dazed at first, she felt something on her side and freaked out, jumping out of the bed she was in and landing in a heap on the ground. She looked up at the bed to find Dag there, still sleeping. Upon closer inspection, via a glance around the room, she found that last night wasn’t just a good dream. She stood up and smiled at the sleeping dog. I hope you always know exactly what to say, Dag. I could use that, she thought as she approached the bed again. She reached out to pet his head, when someone burst into the room, startling Lola again.

“Dag have you seen…Oh, hey Lola. I was looking around for you! Why are you in here,” Cali rapidly said, energy flowing through her. Lola sighed as she looked at her little sister.

“I was just…checking on him. That’s all. Now shoo,” Lola said, the hint of annoyance in her voice. She glanced over at the dog again, who was beginning to stir. He looked up, bleary eyed, at the two cats standing in his room.

“Oh, hey you two. What’s with all the racket this morning? Can’t a dog sleep in for once,” Dag asked, yawning.

“Nothing, nothing. We’re leaving, you go back to sleep. You deserve it,” Lola said. Especially after what you said last night… “Come along Lola. Let’s go play or something.”

“Yaaaaayyyy, you never want to play with me! Let’s go,” Cali said, ever full of energy, as she practically dragged Lola out of the door. Lola snuck one last glance at the gray corgi before Cali slammed the door shut.

A few hours later…

Dag was still asleep while Lola played with Cali. Well, halfheartedly played with Cali. Cali couldn’t tell, but Lola was extremely distracted by the thoughts running through her mind.

Why can’t I get him out of my mind? Because of his speech last night? He only told me he was going to protect me, no matter what. Do I value that so much…what is going on… Cali eventually got her out of her mind by complaining about breakfast. Stopping their play, the two cats went to the kitchen to grab some food. Even during their breakfast, Lola’s mind would not stop. Right around that time, Dag came into the kitchen to get his own breakfast. Lola tensed up the moment he entered, but tried to stay relaxed so as to not draw his attention.

After he poured his own bowl of dog food, he sat at the table with his two sisters and began to eat. Cali and Dag talked but Lola couldn’t hear anything. She was still buried in her thoughts, slowly eating. Dag ate quickly, finishing before the two cats before cleaning up after himself. The sound of the door opening brought Lola out of her mind once again, if only briefly.

“Dag, are you leaving,” Lola called out, voice a bit shaky.

“Yeah, I was going to go to the park. Is something wrong, Lola,” he asked as he entered the kitchen again. Lola blushed and went back to eating.

“No, nothing. I was just wondering. Have fun,” she replied, somewhat quietly. Dag looked at her, worry on his face, before turning around.

“Alright. I’ll be back for lunch in a few hours. Have fun, little sisters!”

“Bye Dag! I’ll miss you,” Cali yelled to him before looking back at her sister.

Lola looked up at Cali, who had a serious look on her face for probably the first time in her life. “Lola, what’s wrong? Something is, I can tell. You’ve been acting weird all morning, especially around Dag.”

Lola frowned and glanced away from Cali. “Nothing’s wrong. Nothing at all. I’m going to go to my room for a bit. Watch TV or something,” Lola replied, walking swiftly out of the kitchen, leaving behind a very confused Cali.

Meanwhile, in the park…

Dag sat down at the tree he had met Fox and King at. Fox had told him to be here around the current time. As Dag sat there, wondering what was up with Lola this morning, he saw the light-gray husky in the distance. He started waving at him, and then went back to looking at the sky.

As Fox got closer, within hearing range, Dag said, “The sky is beautiful today. Really clear.”

Fox nodded, and then plopped down beside Dag. “That’s why I love this spot so much. A perfect view of the sky, from the safety of the shade. It’s quite nice.”

Fox looked at Dag again, and asked, “Is something wrong? You look a bit…off.”

Dag shook his head and replied, “No, not really. It’s just that…you know how I said I now live with two cats? Well, they’re both younger than me, and they’ve…well, before their current owner, they were essentially strays. One of them came to my room, crying from a nightmare. I told her I’d always be there to protect her, older brother instinct and such. This morning, she was acting very…strange towards me. I’m just confused is all. But that’s not why we’re here, is it?”

Fox smiled and said, “You really are a good guy. Well, I was going to bring along my squeaky bone so we could play, but I seem to have misplaced it. That or it’s a King’s place, I’m not entirely sure.” Fox paused, thinking for a moment.

A voice, further away, called out to them. “Oy, new dog, you’re in my spot. You better move before I’m forced to take action.” Dag looked around for a bit before finding the source of the voice. A tan and white corgi that was walking directly toward them, sour look planted on his face, holding a squeaky bone. Fox laughed at the sight.

“Ey, King, no need to be that way! He’s a friend, you silly dog,” Fox said when King got to them, rubbing his head. King tore himself away from Fox’s grip, and stared at Dag.

“I totally wasn’t joking. Move,” King said to Dag in a flat voice. Dag quickly scooted to his right, allowing King to take his spot. King collapsed on the spot, panting heavily.

“You two *pant* don’t know how fast *pant* I ran *pant* to get here. *pant* Not to mention, keeping *pant* a straight face while saying that,” King said, starting to laugh. Dag just stared at him, not sure of how to react.

King noticed that. “Oh, come on Dag. Just kidding,” he said, punching Dag’s arm lightly. Dag laughed nervously back at him.

“You know he hasn’t been around pets for long King. I’m sure you confused him quite nicely there,” Fox said.

Dag nodded, and then said, shakily, “I uh, didn’t want to make you mad like I did to Bino. But, I guess I’ve just got to learn how to handle situations like that.”

King stared at the dog, thinking He’s really not comfortable in social situations yet. I guess…we’ll have to help him. He then beamed and said, “It’s alright. I shouldn’t have done that to you. You told me of how you haven’t had many interactions…so your reaction was acceptable. My fault on that.” He then leaned against the tree.

“Oh, Fox, I brought your squeaky bone,” handing it to Fox. “I had forgotten about it until you reminded me. How did that even end up in my house,” King asked.

“I’m sure we were playing and you had to go and just accidentally took it. It’s no problem. So, you two wanna play,” Fox asked, excited. It’d been a while.

“Sure,” the two corgis responded. And off they went, King and Fox helping Dag learn how to be a dog with other dogs.

All the while, a black cat sat in a nearby tree, watching the scene closely.

Two hours and many wrestling matches later…

King, Fox, and Dag all collapsed in a pile on the squeaky bone, laughing. No one won, but then, no one lost.

“Oh my goodness, what have I been missing all of my life,” Dag said when he managed to stop laughing. “That was so much fun.”

“You sound like King did when he first got here. I played with him with this same squeaky bone when he seemed like a lonely little puppy,” Fox said, beaming at King.

King blushed and punched Fox’s shoulder. “I am no lonely puppy. I was just…upset. But, squeaky bones are quite fun. Never thought I could have so much fun with…such little effort,” King said, laughing.

Dag smiled at the two dogs. “Thanks for that. I really needed that. I haven’t had that much fun with someone since…forever.” Dag’s stomach grumbled after that, making him look away in embarrassment and the other two dogs to start laughing again.

“Looks like someone needs some food,” Fox said, trying to pat Dag’s belly but missing. King howled with laughter, causing something in a nearby tree to dash away. The three dogs stared at the dashing figure, before turning back to each other and shrugging.

“Well, I guess I should go back home. My mom should have my lunch ready. Will you guys be here for a while,” Dag asked.

“Eh, I’ll probably go get something to eat soon myself. I don’t know about Fox. He might come bum some food off of me,” King replied, grinning at Fox, who whistled and looked away innocently.

Dag chuckled. “Alrighty. Well, do you guys want to come back here perhaps in a few hours? I’d like to play some more.”

Fox and King looked at each other, and then nodded. “I’m sure we could make it out here. Meet up under the tree again,” Fox asked.

All three nodded. “Then it’s settled. Meet up here after lunch,” King said. “See you later, Dag. Enjoy your lunch.”

“You two, as well,” Dag replied as he turned and headed towards his house.

When he reached the sidewalk, he ran into a familiar figure. Literally. After dragging himself off the ground, he reached down to help up the cat he had knocked over, only to gasp. “Lola? What’re you doing out here,” he asked, concerned. He helped her to her feet.

“Oh, I was just…wandering around the neighborhood. I figured I should meet new pets, since you’re out here meeting…new people…” she trailed off, staring at the ground.

Dag was confused. “What? You mean you never went out to meet the pets of the neighborhood? Why wouldn’t you want to,” he asked.

Lola glared at him. “I explained it last night, but you seem to have forgotten. I didn’t want to get close to anyone…” she lightened up her tone a bit. “I just didn’t want to be abandoned again. If I became close friends with someone and then their family moved out…I know it’s not really abandoning but that’s how it would feel. After the talk last night, and thinking about it most of the morning, I decided that I might as well give it a shot.”

Dag smiled at her. “Oh, Lola, you’re so silly. I’m heading home right now to eat lunch. Would you care to join me,” he asked her.

Lola practically exploded. “Of course! I mean, yeah, I guess I could go. I am a bit hungry…” she paused.

Dag didn’t notice the ghastly look on her face. “Then let’s go! I’m really hungry, especially after all that playing in the park,” Dag exclaimed, then dashed off, leaving Lola behind.

“I bet you are...the three of you played for hours straight,” Lola said to herself quietly, before running to try and catch the small dog running ahead of her.

(Author's Note: The only part of this I had planned out was up until the cats left the bedroom. The rest was my brain trying to get a workable plot going, lol :(

It came out decently I suppose. Not as good as what I wanted, by far. =(

Tried something different with transitions. Let me know if that seems a bit better than just lines. ^.^ Next update coming Monday! Stay tuned.)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Sweet, another update! :D
Hmm, do I sense a spark in there somewhere? XD *shot*

*staggers back up and shakes head* And I smiled reading how the three interacted, and the image of them collapsing on a pile that I get in my head is really cuddly =3

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

thay are just too happy... something must be done about THAT!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Looks good, Daggy. I liked it. It was a good update and sets up a nice little unrequited love scenario...

The transitions were nice too.
My characters
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

Fine update daggy! I found the part with Fox, King and Dag very well done and very natural. there is a lot of happy in this fan fic! and its a good thing, although it might need a dash of conflict. Happiness is like candy its sweet and awesome but too much of it can give you a stomach ache. :lol: not the best analogy, but you get the point - anyway Great update your a very good writer!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

kurowolfe wrote:Sweet, another update! :D
Hmm, do I sense a spark in there somewhere? XD *shot*

*staggers back up and shakes head* And I smiled reading how the three interacted, and the image of them collapsing on a pile that I get in my head is really cuddly =3
copper wrote: sets up a nice little unrequited love scenario.../quote]

Peeerrrhaaappppsss. =)
Kondog wrote:Fine update daggy! I found the part with Fox, King and Dag very well done and very natural. there is a lot of happy in this fan fic! and its a good thing, although it might need a dash of conflict. Happiness is like candy it's sweet and awesome but too much of it can give you a stomach ache. :lol: not the best analogy, but you get the point - anyway Great update you're a very good writer!
I'm telling myself that too. I just...can't figure out exactly where to squeeze it in. I know where I want it to come from, and how it's going to occur, but getting there is going to be tough.

I'm bad at doing unhappy, mostly because I hate being unhappy. I do everything in my power to not be, so it's hard for me to do parts like that unless it's something I've experienced. Such as Chapter 5 (Lola's past).

Jealousy works for conflict, right? I sure hope so.

Funny you guys liked that last part with the three so much. I totally added that in last minute, since I was just not happy with how it was beforehand. Hehehe. Next update Monday! I'll try not to make it ooze happiness, just for you Kizer.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Daggy wrote: I'm bad at doing unhappy, mostly because I hate being unhappy. I do everything in my power to not be, so it's hard for me to do parts like that unless it's something I've experienced. Such as Chapter 5 (Lola's past).
Same here. I've experienced too much sadness when I was young, so I'm always a bit apprehensive about going through unhappy situations now, in real life or in fictional works...

And sure Daggy, jealousy counts! =3

Kondog

Post by Kondog »

Jealousy works for conflict, right? I sure hope so.

Indeed it dose and its a rather powerful one as well: If done correctly that is: Jealousy is like Pride in the sense that one can elevate someone to do terrible things they would otherwise would never do. furthermore Jealousy can lead to other darker emotions like hate,- from there anything is possible all, even murder! :twisted: but do try to stay with in the ratings...
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Daggy wrote:! I'll try not to make it ooze happiness, just for you Kizer.
"Excellent"~ Mr. Burns
Kondog wrote: :twisted: but do try to stay with in the ratings... [/color]
wares the fun in that? lets just straddle the line the line shall we? we have new Mods. .we have to keep them on there toes~ HA HA Haaaa!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

KizerZin wrote:
Kondog wrote: :twisted: but do try to stay with in the ratings... [/color]
wares the fun in that? lets just straddle the line the line shall we? we have new Mods. .we have to keep them on there toes~ HA HA Haaaa!

Not Funny...

Eh, whatever. I hope you are kidding.

Love the story, and yes, jealousy is a great harbinger of conflict.

I can relate Daggy. Seems a few people on the forums have had not so great childhoods. Glad you made your way here to bring us some happy! :lol: Can't wait for the next update on Monday.
My characters
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

It's not so much my childhood was unhappy. It's more...I just hate being unhappy. It's horrible. Awful.

This is totally an excuse to extend that happiness that exudes from my life. Oh how it makes me smile.

P.S. TOTALLY got a brilliant set of updates coming, to set some things in motion. I knew I had to add SOME conflict, and from re-watching Deathly Hallows part 1 (right before seeing part 2, hehehehe(Which totally made me want to make writing a career, just to bring out the emotions in people that the movie, and entire series, brought out in me. I'll miss it)), I got an amazing train of thought that I'm really excited for. This might make updates either silly long, or saddeningly short. Hopefully the former. The arc will be...fantastic to write. I can't stop smiling just thinking about it, just like I couldn't when it first came into my mind.

Life is an amazing, wondrous thing. Never forget that, my fine, fine readers! You guys make a modest writer extremely happy. Literally, the smile on my face could not be bigger if I tried.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Glad to see you excited, Daggy! I can't wait to see how that translates into your story.
My characters
Luna werewolf

Post by Luna werewolf »

Daggy is such a loveable character, and I can relate to him, having lived in an apartment with no children for most of my childhood. :D keep upo the good work!
Forever bored,
Forever excited,
Forever in love,
Forever lonely,
Forever understood,
Forever misunderstood,
Forever bad,
Forever good,
We are everything.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

*grumble* I didn't sleep as long as I wanted to. To top that off, I had a disturbing dream involving a spider as I woke up, so I was trying to knock a spider off my head. I felt silly. D:

Anyway. Today is Monday! Time for updatessss. Enjoy <3

====Chapter 7: A Plan====

10 minutes earlier – Edge of the Park

Bino was stalking through the trees, away from where he had seen Fox, King, and that new dog. Oh how he hated those two mangy corgis! They worked together to steal Bino’s friend from him. That much was obvious. Why else would the two come up with sob stories and pit Fox against him? The fury within him almost matched the jealousy towards the two.

As he walked through the trees, he thought he saw that new dog passing by. He hugged the closest tree; Sure enough, there he went, heading towards the sidewalk. Where a black cat was standing…I have to get closer, he thought, sprinting through trees to get into a better position. All the while, the two were talking, but Bino was barely out of range to hear. He managed to find a bush close enough to start hearing their conversation.

“…After the talk last night…decided I’d give it a shot,” the black cat said. It was a female! Intriguing…

“…right now for lunch…join me,” he heard Dag ask.

Slowly, the cogs in Bino’s mind started whirring. As the cat and dog standing on the sidewalk went away, a grin started to form on Bino’s face. It quickly turned into a wicked grin; after a few moments, he could no longer hold it in. He let out a loud, maniacal cackle into the trees. This is perfect! Those two are definitely an item…hiding it from everyone. I just need to catch them in the act. His mind continued running, planning the capture of the evidence of their relationship.

“This’ll teach him to mess with me. Stupid corgi,” Bino said to himself, the wicked tone making the birds in a nearby tree fly away with fright.

A week later – Bino’s room

Bino’s plan was taking longer to come to fruition than he had expected. Every day, for a week now, he had placed a tape recorder on the windowsill of Dag’s room (which he found after some coercing of some random pet), early in the morning. He picked it up really late, risking his curfew in the process. This was completely worth the risk. Destroying one troublesome pet…I’d take plenty of punishment in exchange, he thought to himself as he listened to that day’s tape, wicked grin still planted on his face.

Hold on…he reached for the tape recorder and rewound it a bit. He thought he heard the tail end of something, but his thoughts made him miss it. …And right there! Plans being made, by the cat. As if Bino’s grin couldn’t get wider, but it somehow managed.This is perfect! I’ve got enough contacts that keeping track of these two will be simple work…now to wait until they get together. Of course, I’ll need to make sure a certain someone is there to see… He rewound again, to catch the whole conversation.

Earlier that day – Dag’s room

Dag was laying on his bed, listening to his music while thinking. Today’s treat was a Tool-based station, some hard rock, some progressive. Good stuff.

A knock on his door interrupted his thoughts. He turned down his music as the door opened, revealing a small calico cat. “Oh, hey Cali. How can I help you today,” Dag asked, as he sat back down on his bed and leaned against the wall.

She partially ignored him, opting to go over to his computer chair and jump in it. She sighed as she sat down in it, seeming to melt in the chair. “Ooooohhhh, this is so comfy Dag! No wonder you spend so much time in it,” she said, blissful smile painted on her face.

Dag grinned at her. “Well, it has to be comfy so I don’t get sore muscles. That would be bad! Now, did you want anything in particular, or just to sit in my chair,” Dag asked, really wanting to get back to his music.

Cali hopped out of the chair and sat down beside Dag on his bed. She turned and looking him right in the eyes, her sea-green eyes boring into his deep-brown ones. Then, she said, “Dag, Lola’s been acting very weird lately; especially when you come up. She gets all fidgety and wants to change the subject. She almost seems…flustered. I don’t know what to do…” she trailed off, looking out his window.

Dag placed his paw on his chin, thinking. “You know, I’ve noticed that myself. Every time I try to hold a conversation with her, she finds an excuse to get away. I also keep running into her in the strangest locations. A week ago, it was right outside the park. A few days ago, I ran into her while I was on the way to Fox’s house. It’s almost as if…”

“She has a crush on you,” Cali interrupted, looking back at Dag, whom just gaped back at her. “It’s totally true. Call it sisterly instinct. I can tell when she’s crushing hard on someone. I didn’t realize it at first, but it started that morning I found her in your room. Did you two…do anything that night,” Cali asked, curious.

“Not really…she told me the story of your combined past, and about her nightmares. I told her I’d always be here to protect her. I didn’t really think much about it…nor should I have said that much to you. She told me…she’d rather you not remember.”

Cali sighed. “I remember more than she thinks. I remember the day our mom left, and the weeks and months after. I thought we were both dead…until Dad saved us. I’ve just refused to let it rule me, for Lola’s sake…” she paused, thinking for a moment. “Either way, that night might have completely changed her. She actually asked me to take her to my friend’s house with me, the next time I go. She’s never done that before! I think she’s starting to open up, and I’m happy for that,” Cali said, smiling.

“However, you’re not allowed to hurt her, even accidentally,” Cali warned, a hiss forming in her voice. Dag gulped.

“I wouldn’t dare, you know that,” he replied shakily. Cali returned to her happy demeanor. “Before you go, Cali, can you send Lola in here? I’d like to talk to her a bit.”

“Of course,” she said, hopping off the bed and leaving the room, and Dag to his thoughts. This is not how I planned for things to go at all… he thought, as he saw Lola enter. He motioned for her to sit beside him, which she did. All the while, she was fidgeting around, seeming to be uncomfortable.

“Lola, how are you today,” Dag asked.

Lola looked around the room for a few minutes before answering, taking in the sights. Computer in the corner, huge bed that she was sitting on, closet and a dresser filled with…stuff. Is this really what I’ve fallen for, she thought to herself with a sigh. “I’m just fine, Dag. How are you?”

“I’m good. I’ve just heard…and interesting theory from your little sister, and I was hoping to get your input on it,” Dag started. Lola’s eyes widened.

“You see, everyone’s noticed how…on edge you’ve seemed lately. In particular, around me. So, I have to ask you; do you have a crush on me,” Dag asked, going straight to the point.

Lola just stared at Dag. How long has he known? Was I that obvious? Many similar thoughts flashed through her mind, the answers returned in her mind showing a bleak outcome. She had to be truthful, at least.

“Er…kind of, I guess? I don’t really know…I just know I really like you. You’re the first guy to not be a complete jerk, to actually care for me as…me,” Lola stated, nervously.

Dag smiled at her, shaking his head. “Lola, you’re so silly.”

“It’s not silly,” she yelled at him, suddenly furious. “This is real for me! I don’t open up to people, I don’t talk to anyone. I avoid getting hurt, emotionally and otherwise, and you’re going to sit there and tear apart the one positive thing I’ve had come from anything,” Lola practically screamed at Dag.

He stared at her, wide-eyed. His ears were flat against his head, hands waving in front of him. “No, no, Lola, you took that TOTALLY wrong. I didn’t mean that…”

“Then what DID you mean,” Lola interrupted.

Dag sagged, defeated. “I meant…it’s silly that you’d fall for me so quickly. That you’d fall for a dog, of all things. That’s all…it wasn’t an insult, it was bad wording on my part. I’m sorry. What can I do to make it up to you,” he said, softly.

Lola grinned at him. “Well, you could oblige a…fantasy of mine,” she said, curling close to him. He tried to scoot away but was unable to.

“Er…and what might that be, if I’m able to ask,” he said nervously.

“Why, a date, of course,” she exclaimed.

Dag practically fell off of the bed in shock. “DAG! Are you alright,” Lola asked frantically.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just…need a moment to recover my motor functions,” he replied from the floor.

Lola smiled at him. He’s the silly one, not me. “So, how about it? If it’s silly, then we should be fine just going on a date, right? It doesn’t have to be super serious, just…I need this,” she said, almost pleadingly.

Slowly, Dag stood up and lay on his bed again, panting. Lola giggled at that. He’s so cute when he’s panting… she thought.

“Yeah, I guess we could. You’re doing all the planning though. And it has to be a little while from now, so I can clear plans accordingly. Can you do that much?”

Lola practically smashed into him, gripping him furiously with her arms. “Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyoooouuuu! You won’t regret this, I swear,” she exclaimed before running out of the room, squealing.

Dag collapsed on his bed, shaking his head. “Just what have you gotten yourself into now, Dag…?”

Bino’s Room

So…it will be a while from now, eh? That just means I’ve got plenty of time to prepare for the big day. The day I get my friend back…and ruin a dog for eternity, Bino thought to himself, his wicked grin covering his face.

It’s a good day to be a selfish jerk.

(Author's Note: *grumble grumble* I feel like the conversation bit between Dag and his sisters is super wooden, but I don't know how else I would change it. Frustrating.

In other news, the start of conflict. Because there's too much happy. Bino's always good for some conflict. =)

Next update Friday! Will probably have a large-ish time skip (just as a heads up!) only because I don't know what to do in between. Hehehehe. Maybe not, I've got a shower to figure things out.)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Update received! =3

Bino's a real schemer here, isn't he? He even went as far as tapping Dag's room for a week, now that's dedication towards your goal! XD

And Dag really put himself in a bind now, though I think it's better this way, as it is best to be frank sometimes.

4 more days to the next one! =3

Luna werewolf

Post by Luna werewolf »

That was such an awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! moment. I wish my fan fics were half as good as yours. Trouble is, I can never find the right idea. Awesome. B.T.W., Can Daggy, Fox, King, Grape, peanut or any dog beat Bino up, Apparently, everyone likes it when Bino gets beatten up after he's been a selfish jerk.
Forever bored,
Forever excited,
Forever in love,
Forever lonely,
Forever understood,
Forever misunderstood,
Forever bad,
Forever good,
We are everything.
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

HA HA Haaaa! any day is a good day to be EVIL! I can't wait to see Dag Suffer!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

kurowolfe wrote:Update received! =3

Bino's a real schemer here, isn't he? He even went as far as tapping Dag's room for a week, now that's dedication towards your goal! XD
Eventually, something snaps in everyone and brings out the worst inside them. Getting friends "stolen" can be a cause.

Luna werewolf wrote: Apparently, everyone likes it when Bino gets beatten up after he's been a selfish jerk.
I dunno about that. Not sure what I'll do with him. We'll have to see, won't we? :)

KizerZin wrote:HA HA Haaaa! any day is a good day to be EVIL! I can't wait to see Dag Suffer!
Oh you. You're going to be very pleased in the following weeks.

Ah, planning conflict is so much harder than simply being happy all the time. Alas, every good story has it. Gotta toss a little despair into the mix every once in a while.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I know, it happened to me before, and even the me now is scared to the me at that time *shudders*

And yes I agree, all great stories need to have some conflict in them, just the way KizerZin likes them XD

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great update! You are actually pretty good at conversations. It wasn't natural, but it was pretty close to it.

So Bino is angry as always. That never turns out well. Maybe Peanut will befriend Daggy now. CAt lovers have to stick together. Can't wait for the date!
My characters
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

copper wrote:Great update! You are actually pretty good at conversations. It wasn't natural, but it was pretty close to it.

So Bino is angry as always. That never turns out well. Maybe Peanut will befriend Daggy now. CAt lovers have to stick together. Can't wait for the date!
Mmm. The conversations just seem wooden to me at times. Maybe I'm just too picky. And I totally didn't even think about involving Peanut at all. I might have to toss him in somewhere now...

The update on Friday may be either postponed slightly or posted slightly earlier. Possibly on time but I'm not entirely sure. I'm heading over to a friend's house and don't really want to take my whole desktop over. Though, I might.

Oh so many plans that I haven't actually thought out fully. This is fascinating.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Hi hi. I've been totally stumped on how to continue for this entire week, on top of other frustrating things. Very frustrating week overall. But, I did something. It's not nearly what I want but...it'll have to do.

Huge, amazing update set in store for Wednesday though! I hope.

Super special thanks to Tiggy, for bringing me out of my funk to write this! You so cool.

Enjoy this small, dingy thing. ^.^

====Interlude====

Two months later – Heathcliff’s

Lola bid farewell to Allegra, the head waitress of the cat-based restaurant. The date was almost complete, location and date set. There was just one thing left, and that was to make sure Dag got there. Lola smiled as she walked down the sidewalk, looking up into the partly cloudy sky. Today sure is a great day. So pretty out… At least, until she walked into someone else.

She looked around, trying to re-ground herself and locate the thing she walked into. She spotted a lavender cat sitting haphazardly on the ground, rubbing its head. “Ouch. You should watch where you’re walking next time, that really hurt,” the cat grumbled.

Lola stood up quickly, rubbing herself off before holding her paw out to the cat on the ground. “I’m so sorry; I was just admiring the day. Completely my fault for walking into you,” she said, apologizing quickly.

The cat accepted the paw, stood up, and rubbed herself off. “No problem. My name is Grape, by the way. Nice to meet you; I can’t stay mad at pets I just met.”

“My name is Lola; nice to meet you.” Grape’s eyes lit up.

“So you’re the new cat that’s been getting around the neighborhood…” Grape started.

“Well, I’m not really…new, per se. I’ve been here for over a year…I just never left my house often. Personal problems a recent…light in my life has helped me to illuminate and fix,” Lola said, interrupting. Grape stared at the pure black cat for a few minutes, before looking around.

“I know what you mean. It took me a few years to open up. Now I’ve got a boyfriend and a best friend…life is great. I was actually going to stop by Heathcliff’s to schedule a date, because Maxie is being lazy.”

“Oh, that’s what I just finished doing. Planning a date…but I had to make sure we could reserve the place alone for the night.”

Grape eyed the black cat curiously. “Why would you need to be alone? Embarrassed about who it is,” she asked.

Lola held up her hands and shook her head furiously. “No, no, it’s not that at all! It’s…uh…a bit more complicated than that,” she said, then paused.

“Can I trust that you’ll keep a secret,” she whispered.

Under a tree in the park – Same time

Fox sighed and glanced at Dag. “The way you talk about her, one would think you’re almost falling in love with her.”

Dag stared at Fox, and then shook his head furiously. “Never! I couldn’t possibly date a cat; that’s madness. She’s just…a really nice girl. I’m sorry I keep bringing her up,” Dag said, hanging his head in shame.

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of. Fox is just a picky guy. As are most of the dogs in the neighborhood. Can’t see the world beyond their noses,” came a voice a few yards away; one could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

“King! I was wondering when you would decide to show up. You’ve seen how the GODC treats cat lovers. I’m telling him for his own best interest,” Fox said, as King entered into view, whom was still smirking.

“Yeah, yeah, they treat cat lovers badly because they’re blinded by what they think is right. Even if some dogs seem to come out fine. Peanut’s happy, isn’t he?”

Fox looked down for a moment, then back at King. “Yeah, I guess he is. To be fair, he’s often off in his own world, not caring about the one we’re all in. Little Dag here doesn’t have that advantage,” Fox said, rustling Dag’s head fur, causing Dag to yelp and scurry away to pout.

“I’m not that small…King is the same size,” Dag said, pouting at Fox. Fox and King both chuckled at Dag.

“I’m sorry, you’re not little. You’re small. Be proud of it,” Fox said in an apologizing manner. “But, seriously, I would avoid falling in love with a cat. Only bad things can come of it.”

“You’ve said that a few times. What could possibly go wrong,” Dag asked.

(Author's Note:Bleh. I'm sorry this is so short. I totally wanted to do more with this but...I had no idea how to do it. So this will HAVE to work. Tried to set up some nice stuff for the next update.

Which should be big. Powerful. Menacing.

I love you guys. <3

P.S. Another thanks to Tiggy. Totally wouldn't have done this without him pestering me. ^.^)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I knew there must be a reason why I woke up this early in the morning (it's like 4am Monday here) (=.=)*
Because there's an update! =3

I'm really curious to know how Grape will react to Lola's little secret XP

And looks like Fox's added another one for him to protect huh? =3

Short and sweet interlude, Daggy! Will be waiting for the 'big one' :D

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Yaay! I helped ^w^
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Awesome little update. Can't wait to see what is in the next big one.

Dag is getting into dangerous territory. at least King is there. I think he will be more the protector than Fox.

Lola and Grape will soon become the bestest friends!!! :lol:
My characters
Luna werewolf

Post by Luna werewolf »

nice update.
Forever bored,
Forever excited,
Forever in love,
Forever lonely,
Forever understood,
Forever misunderstood,
Forever bad,
Forever good,
We are everything.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Squee, over 1000 views. :D

The big one shall be...huge, if there's anything I can do about it. Absolutely massive. It will be quite a sight to see. I just hope I can get it out in time =)

Thanks for being such awesome readers.
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

Grats Daggy! - and Great Update! (I am still two behind..) But i am sure this last was just as good!
** Edit** Yep indeed Great work! :lol:
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

“Yeah, yeah, they treat cat lovers badly because they’re blinded by what they think is right."

Dag saying that is "The pot calling the kettle black"
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I do believe I owe you guys a massive update. Sadly, it will be delayed a tiny bit longer. Real life caught up with me and decided it was time for me to start doing stuff for college. And driving. So I haven't had that writing feeling. I did, however, start the chapter. Hopefully I'll finish it by this Wednesday.

<3
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Can't wait for it! I always look forward to this. I like the upbeat nature of it!
My characters
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Well. Here it is. Not nearly as big as I promised because I decided to break that up into smaller pieces for more effect. It apparently takes some personal despair to get me to write.

====Chapter 9: Date====

Dear Diary,

I know I haven’t written to you often lately, but I’ve been quite busy with the date planning! Ever since Dag said he’d go, I’ve been working hard, finding a place to have it and arranging everything. It’s been three months, but it’s finally all ready. We’re heading out tonight. I managed to get Heathcliff’s all to ourselves, with just Allegra there to serve us. She’ll be the only one to know.

Well, other than Grape. I told her about a month ago. I’m not exactly sure why. She told me not to do it, but I just have to. I need this. I need to get Dag to love me back. So she didn’t push it anymore. She did, at least, warn me that a lot of people would look at us differently if they found out a cat and a dog went on a date. I don’t see what the big deal is, though. We’re both pets and animals.

Well, Diary, I’ve got to head out to help Allegra out at the restaurant. I promised I’d help set up everything for today, since they’re supposed to be closed.

An autumn date will be nice…

Lola closed her diary and placed it back in her drawer, before closing it and leaving her room. Big day today, much work to be done. She bid everyone farewell, and started heading towards Heathcliff’s.

A few hours later – Sandwich Household

Dag stood in front the house that belonged to dog that, he had been told, had a crush on a cat. King had suggested he come over and talk to Peanut, whom was, apparently, a known cat lover. Dag took a deep breath and then knocked on the door. He heard someone yell, “I’ll get it!”, then saw the door burst open and the brown and tan head of a dog poke out.

“Hi! I haven’t seen you around before. Are you new,” He asked, talking rapidly.

“Uh…Yeah, I am. Fairly new, that is. I was told by a friend to come over here to talk to someone named Peanut…” Dag trailed off.

“My name is Peanut; nice to meet you. Would you like to come in? I’m just playing some games.”

“Yeah, that’d be fun, I guess. My name is Dag, by the way,” Dag said as he entered the house. He glanced around the room and almost gaped. All sorts of games, controllers, and various cords were strewn around the main living room, all leading up towards the large TV. The only clear place in the room was the couch. Dag heard Peanut laugh nervously.

“I’m uh, sorry this is such a mess. I wasn’t expecting anyone and I always get the door first.”

“Oh, it’s no problem. I have the same problem at times.”

“Oh, you play games? Would you like to race me in Mario Kart,” Peanut asked excitedly.

“Sure! I haven’t played it in a while, though, so you’ll probably win most of the time.”

*A few hours later*

Peanut stared at the corgi sitting beside him, gaping. “I thought you said you hadn’t played in a while! It definitely doesn’t seem that way,” he said.

Dag chuckled. “I haven’t. I guess I just got back into the groove quickly.”

“Quickly? I only won the first race, and that was just barely,” Peanut said, pouting at Dag, which made Dag giggle a little bit.

“I can lose a bunch if you want.”

Peanut grinned at Dag. “That’s no fun. I’ll just have to practice more and beat you.”

Dag laughed again. This dog is silly. I like him. “So, Peanut…there was a reason I came over to talk to you. I had heard, uh…you were a cat lover.”

Peanut turned and stared at Dag again, blushing. He started to laugh, nervously saying, “Ehehe, where did you hear that? That’s not true at all.”

Dag paused, and then looked away. “Oh. I guess that person was lying. Well, I was looking for someone to talk about…uh, that, with.”

Peanut stopped laughing, and looked Dag directly in the eyes. “Oh? Are you…a cat lover,” asked, carefully.

“I’m…not exactly sure. I did agree to a date with a cat, because she was practically begging me. That was before I learned of how the pets in this neighborhood treated…cases like that. Now I’m not exactly sure if I should go through with it.”

Peanut glanced around the room, checking for…something. “Can’t be too safe around this topic,” he said to Dag, winking. “I guess one could call me a cat lover. I adore the cat that lives with me. I could never see her hurt, even if it means I am in the process. I even helped her prepare for her first date, even though it pained me to see her go. You know what I mean?”

Dag nodded at Peanut. “I do. I promised her I would protect her, so that’s probably why I agreed to the date.”

“You should go through with it! Who cares what the others say, be your own dog.”

“I think I will. Thanks for talking with me; I can tell that’s a topic you’re not comfortable with.”

Peanut nodded. “It’s not something you’d expect a new dog to show up on your doorstep and ask. Are you heading out now?”

“Yes sir. Going to go get ready and such; it’s only a few hours away,” Dag exclaimed, before hopping off the couch. He bowed towards Peanut then left the house, merrily walking down the sidewalk back to his house.

In front of Heathcliff’s - Three hours later

Lola and Grape were standing, waiting for Dag to show up. Even though it was still ten minutes early, Lola was fidgety.

“Grape, what if he doesn’t show up? What if he just bails? What if---“

Grape cut her off, covering her mouth with her paw. “Lola, calm down. I have it from a good source that he’ll be showing up. It’s still early!” At that, Lola slumped a bit and Grape uncovered her mouth.

“How can you be so sure,” she asked, lightly.

“Because,” Grape started, pointing down the sidewalk, “I see a small, adorably gray dog with ridiculous ears walking towards us right now.”

Lola looked up, and then started to jump in excitement. “HerehecomesGrapehe’sonthewayohmygoodness,” she said, very fast, words slurring together, before running down towards the approaching corgi.

Before Dag knew what was happening, he was practically attacked by the black cat. She jumped onto him, forcing him to hold her up or fall. “Ack, Lola, hello there.”

“Heeeeeyyyyy Dag. Glad you decided to come!”

Dag smiled at the cat he was holding. “Well, you kind of forced me. But let’s go enjoy the date, alright,” he asked, carrying her into the restaurant. She was purring in his arms.

Dag paused as he surveyed the scene before him. There was only one table set up, towards the center. On it was a pair of lit candles, lighting up the two plates and glasses laid out for them. From somewhere above, gentle piano music was playing, accompanied, on occasion, by a small stringed instrument of some sort. “Lola, this is beautiful. Were you working on this all day?”

Lola pulled herself from Dag’s arms and smiled at him. “Somewhat. Most of the time was spent convincing our musical guests to play. I managed it, eventually. I’m glad you like it.”

She gestured to the table, and the two sat down and began their meal. The two made small talk while they ate. Dag spent most of his time staring into Lola’s eyes, adoring how they sparkled in the candlelight. Slowly, he scooted his chair closer to hers, eventually sitting beside her instead of across from her.

As he placed his arm around her, he asked, “Lola, could you look at me for a moment?”

She turned and gasped when she saw the look in Dag’s eyes. “Lola, you really are beautiful. And your eyes…they’ve been sparkling all night.”

Lola blushed. “Why t-thank you. You’re quite cute yourself,” she replied, trying to forever remember the look in his eyes. She leaned in closer, as did he, and slowly but surely, their mouths approached each others, until…

“I could have sworn I brought my camera with me…that would have been a priceless picture,” a harsh voice said from the restaurant entrance, starling both pets, who then looked to the doorway to find someone neither wanted to see.

“Bino, what are you doing here? Can’t you just leave me alone,” Dag said, anger starting to fill his voice.

“Of course I can’t. You stole my friend from me. I’m lucky I even managed to convince him to come here.”

Dag’s eyes opened wide, and his mouth gaped. “W-what did you say,” Dag demanded.

“Hey Fox, you can come around the corner and see why I brought you here,” Bino said, grinning wickedly at Dag, whom could only helplessly stare as his good friend rounded the corner and then stopped to stare.

Fox’s face quickly contorted into a fit of rage at the scene in front of him. “Dag. I told you this was wrong. I told you this would get you nowhere, and was a bad path, and you didn’t listen.”

“Fox, if you could just listen…”

“No. I’m sorry. Cat lovers do not have a place in my life,” Fox said, as he started to turn away.

Dag was shocked. “Fox, no, wait. Could you at least tell me why,” he asked, despair filling his voice.

Fox slowly turned around. “Cats are horribly manipulative creatures,” he said, glaring at Lola. “You listen to them for one minute, and you’re done for. They will throw you under a bus if it gets them something. That’s why.”

Bino started cackling, causing Fox to turn towards him. “Bino, you might as well be a cat. You’re just as much of a manipulative little mongrel as most cats are. Don’t think that you showing me this has increased your chances of regaining my friendship. If anything, it’s hurt them, because this shows me an even worse side of you.”

Bino stopped cackling and stared at Fox. “Now wait a minute, buddy. You’re supposed to follow me and be loyal again, not dislike me. That’s not how this works!”

“You only think of yourself, don’t you? King was at least right about that. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going somewhere else,” Fox said, before leaving in a huff. Both Bino and Dag stared at him until he went out of sight. Then, Bino turned to Dag.

“This is all your fault, new dog. If you hadn’t come around, I’d still have him as a friend and none of this would have happened,” Bino exclaimed before walking off.

Dag tried to stop him, then paused and looked down. He sighed, and his body sagged as he sat back down in his chair. He looked at the ground loosely, not paying attention to much. Lola looked on, concerned. She had never seen him like this and wasn’t sure what she could do.

A bit later, he looked up and away from Lola, and said, “Lola…I don’t think this will work out. I’m sorry.” His voice was shaky, but clear at the same time.

“But…Dag, why? We can make this work, I know we can. Can we try,” she asked, frantically.

“No, we can’t. I can’t go behind everyone, sneaking around, just to appease a simple fantasy. If I were different, maybe, but…I’m a follower, not a leader. I realize that now. I can’t bear to lose Fox’s friendship, and this relationship would, and possibly already has, caused that. I’m going to head home now. Sorry,” he said, one last time, before leaving the area and going home.

Lola stood up to go after him, but collapsed onto the table instead. Her heart was broken into pieces, her dream shattered by that dog with the B on his tag. She sat there and cried, until the candles burned out, much like her most recent hopes and dreams.

(Author's Note: ROMANCE IS SO HARD TO WRITE HOLY COW. I spent like, an hour or two on JUST THAT SCENE. The rest was quite quick work.

I'm in a...random spot in my life. I'm an officer in my guild, and I feel like...I'm not qualified for this position, at all. I've just been in a bluh mood the past few weeks. But writing this helped some. I might even have an update tomorrow, if I feel up for writing more. I've got the scenes in my mind. Somewhat.

P.S. Love you guys. <3 )
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Big update, yay!

*giggle* Peanut sure is frank when he's talking about the topic.
The romantic scene is kinda short, but sweet nonetheless. Sparkles in Dag's eyes X3
... Well, until Bino and Fox showed up. Four hearts crushed at once. Bino sure did it this time around.
Wonder why Fox acted the way he did seeing both of them together...

Gah, you've got me wanting the continuation now, Daggy! (@_@') But just follow your own pace in writing, I can wait =3

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice long update, Daggy! Congrats on your promotion, I am surer you will do fine.

Bino being Bino. Sure hope things work out, hopefully King can fix things. He is a miracle worker now.

Wonder what cat broke Fox's heart?

Poor Daggy. He needs to step up. He loves her. Peanut needs a good role model like that!
My characters
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Minor misconception: I've held the position for over a year now. It's just really rough right now. D:

Anyway, thanks for more praise. Definitely needed right now =3