Fanfic Concept: Power Rangers? >_<

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

loomCAT

Fanfic Concept: Power Rangers? >_<

Post by loomCAT »

Yeah, this is a crackfic concept. I apologize. I specialize in these... the concepts, that is.

I've been considering writing a fanfic where the cast of Housepets! become Power Rangers. It's going to be just as stupid as it sounds, and I don't think I'm capable of writing it in a way that you can take it seriously anyway, but that's besides the point of this topic.

I'm giving the characters a mythological creature motif, but I can't get this thing off the ground because I'm unable to decide on anything to represent Peanut (The red ranger of this story; were you expecting someone else?). I can't use anything "wolf" related or the like for him because that slot's already filled by... someone else. Can anyone help me think of something for him? I've been racking my brain over this for days!

Apologies for this most idiotic of questions, and apologies to the mods if I posted this question in the wrong section of the forums.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: Fanfic Concept: Power Rangers? >_<

Post by Obbl »

I happen to really like griffins :D
So hopefully you have one in there
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The rainbow Serpent is good for an artistic soul.

Coyote and reynard the fox?

Perhaps Anansi the spider god?

Maybe you want a water spirit like the Hydra or the grendel.

Oh! What about a kelpie or wyvern!?

I have more if you want something different, just give me guidelines.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

A horribly nice idea! I hope it has colorful evil villains~ HA HA Haaaa!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

If you write this fic, you will become my most favoritest person on here.

As for Peanut...hmm...phoenix?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hasn't there already been a phoenix red ranger? I could have sworn there was.

How about a Zodiac thing? Aries would be a good one. MAybe the Thunder Bird or Rukh?
My characters
loomCAT

Post by loomCAT »

@naylorfan90: Yes, as copper pointed out, the Phoenix theme has been done before, so I'm deliberately avoiding that route. And thank you for the vote of confidence. ^_^

@copper: Also, the thunderbird has been done as well. T_T Power Rangers does like its avian themed Rangers.

@Obbl: I'm avoiding a Griffin theme as well. (Ugh, this has been one long string of aversions! I feel so picky!). Pete already has that covered, and he will play a part in this fic.

What I was looking for was something that represented his optimistic personality. I'm going more for "cheerful" than "epic." I'll seriously consider the Rukh theme, though, but I need to do a bit more research on that before I make a definitive decision.

Below are the other four creatures being represented in the story. No characters will be revealed (besides Peanut, of course), but you can probably guess most of them.

Panther (there is a mythological variant)
Gargoyle
Dragon
Fenrir

Yeah, a motley bunch at best. Possibly you'll get an idea of what Peanut should be based on the others... or not. Oh, well. ^^
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The Rukh was in the voyages of Sinbad in the Thousand And One Arabian Nights.

And The Rainbow Serpent is a god of learning, it is a freaking rainbow snake which is awesome and reflects the artists soul, and it is a peaceful creator god. It just screams Peanut, Man! Seriously, I think it would be best.
My characters
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

I love the power rangers idea! :D though I have no helpful suggestions sadly... so I'll just wait to see how the story turns out!
Big Fan

Post by Big Fan »

I desperately hope you are only avoiding the "good zord" themes, as the Rukh does indeed scream Peanut in seventy foot high, neon letters. However, if you want to avoid ALL zord themes (please don't hate me, Copper) I believe Lord Zedd had one called Serpentina. As far as the Phoenix thing goes, though, I believe you're talking about the firebird zord? Little known fact: Firebird is actually the title of a different mythological creature from Russian folklore. The only similarity between them is that they are both sometimes shown as VERY strange looking peacocks. So, technically, Phoenix has not been taken.

Boy, do I feel like a nerd.
Last edited by Big Fan on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

I love the concept. Trying to find a proper animal for peanut is kinda hard.... perhaps a red panda... I know it sounds silly but Peanut is a Silly dog. Oh they have cat like tails too :D

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Uh, Kondog? The idea is a mythological creature, not a real one.

And I have no idea what has been used yet. I haven't watched Power Rangers since the first incarnation. :lol:

I have so many books on mythology, I can come up with something. Y'know, a chimera or manticore could work. They don't exactly fit his personality, but they both have leonine features, which would fit in with his cat loving tendencies.
My characters
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

silly me.. so Like a Fay-tiger Nightbane ,something classics like a Chimera?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

copper wrote:Uh, Kondog? The idea is a mythological creature, not a real one.

And I have no idea what has been used yet. I haven't watched Power Rangers since the first incarnation. :lol:

I have so many books on mythology, I can come up with something. Y'know, a chimera or manticore could work. They don't exactly fit his personality, but they both have leonine features, which would fit in with his cat loving tendencies.
Hmm, well let's think about Peanut's personality then. Clever, fun-loving, loyal, possibly sneaky...the Monkey King?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Trickster gods are more of a Max thing, though. I'd go with something a little more relaxed and wise.

OH! The Simurgh could work. The wise bird of ages who aided the Hero Zal, and his son Rustam. It once discussed philosophy with King Solomon.
My characters
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

loomCAT wrote:@Obbl: I'm avoiding a Griffin theme as well. (Ugh, this has been one long string of aversions! I feel so picky!). Pete already has that covered, and he will play a part in this fic.
Ergo, you have a griffin in your story. I am happy :D (Cause Pete's an awesome jerk :twisted: )

As for ideas, there's always the Tanuki of Japan (though they are generally more tricksters, but they are still supposed to wise and lucky).
exranio

Post by exranio »

1299557251139.jpg
1299557251139.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 12167 times
I APPROVE!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Maybe King or Fox as Anubis
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

:( I wish I knew more about mythology to help. I feel so useless.. :cry:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

naylorfan90 wrote::( I wish I knew more about mythology to help. I feel so useless.. :cry:
Don't feel useless, feel wise. Mythology is a useless subject to learn. I am just obsessed with it. :lol:

What about one of the Nagas? That might be interesting to see.
My characters
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

there's also cerberus, Garuda, Ifrit (yeah, he is actually part of Islam belief. Final Fantasy is also culture!)
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

How about some kind of werewolf or that Indian spirit (sorry, i don't know it's name), that also represents Werewolf-like being
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

there's also cerberus, Garuda, Ifrit (yeah, he is actually part of Islam belief. Final Fantasy is also culture!)
I gave the thought of Peanut as an Ifrit some serous thought this morning and I would have to say that's great Idea! I have read many story's about Infrit's (There's more then one Kind) I would say an Benevolent Ifrit would match Peanut well.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

How about the Four Guardians of the Four Compass Directions fromt he Chinese mithology. The tortoise, the tiger, the dragon and the phoenix.
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ssu-ling.shtml
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Hey, is this is a deadfic? Because if it is, can I adopt it?
I kind of want to do this too but I won't take your idea without your consent.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
loomCAT

Post by loomCAT »

Well, I haven't completely given up the concept, so I wouldn't go so far as to call it "dead," but you're more than welcome to try your hand at this idea!