Housepets! The Meaning of Brotherhood

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

trekkie

Housepets! The Meaning of Brotherhood

Post by trekkie »

Winter 2015

Maxwell woke up and looked out the window of his room. Outside, the sky was iron grey and the leafless branches of the
oak tree outside his room blew in the cold air that came in around the windows. He shivered, wrapped himself in his blanket
and sat on his bed, listening for anyone else in the house. He wondered if we was alone, his father, or owner, depending
your view in the matter had gone off to work early in the morning, but his tan and brown dog brother Bino might still be around. He hoped not. Bino got on his last nerve, though to be perfectly honest, he knew he got on Bino's nerves too. Part of the problem Max thought was that Bino was so sure of himself and the superiority of dogs. It made teasing his brother so easy, and although Max tried to resist the temptation there were times that the black cat just couldn't resist poking his brother. These situations always seemed to lead to trouble and Max was, trying not to let Bino annoy him, realizing that it did nobody any good to rise to Bino's teasing.

Max walked out of his room and down the hall to the kitchen, where to his dismay his brother was , sitting talking on the house phone:
"Duchie, dear how are you? What? No, i haven't talked to Fox, yet but I'll work on him. Look, don't worry about Fox, I'll handle him. Soon I'll be president of the good Ol' Dogs Club and you'll be proud of me. Yes dear together we will rule all the dogs and Babylon Gardens, and don't worry I'll make sure that cat-lovers are dealt with." Bino said, as he talked to his girlfriend, Duchess.
Max shuddered. Bino was arrogant enough, him becoming President of the Good Ol' Dogs Club would make him unbearable. Also he didn't like Duchess in the least. She was an arrogant power-mad bully who made Bino seem like a tower of virtue. She was also an emotionally abusive tyrant who treated his brother like dirt, which made Max angry, because although he may not like Bino all that much they were brothers, and anyway teasing Bino was his job, and as his brother his right. Max was snapped out of his reverie by the sound of the phone being hung up with some force.
"Ah, Maxie," Bino said, "you are looking at the new president of the Good Ol' Dogs club. Once I convince Fox to let me become president I am made."
" What makes you think you can convince Fox ?" Max asked
"Oh, Maxie," Bino said " I have my ways, and anyway, name one of my plans that has failed"
"Do I go alphabetically or chronologically ?" Max asked
" Oh Pah!", Bino said, "Anyway this plan can't fail."
"So I'll reserve you usual room at the hospital? " Max asked

Bino ignored this last remark and headed towards the door , he then spoke. " You're just jealous because I'm with Duchess and your girlfriend is the pet of a common auto mechanic, and anyway dogs are superior to cats in every way. " Bino then turned and walked out, or rather into the door.
"So i guess your superiority makes you think you can walk through doors?" Max needled him
Bino ignored his brother, grabbed his scarf and hat and headed out the door. Max shrugged made himself some tea, and headed back toward his room. He had just set down the tea, when he heard the phone ring. He remembered to check the Caller ID and saw that it was the number of his girlfriend Grape Jelly Sandwich, so he answered.
"Hi Grape, what's up"
"Hi Maxie, I just wanted to ask you if you've seen Peanut." Grape said referring to her dog brother, " he was going to talk to Bino about something, but I guess he forgot our vet appointment, so he needs to get home."
" Well he hasn't been by yet , but Bino just left so Peanut might see him." Max told her
"Okay if he gets to your house tell him that he has to get home and can you tell Bino too?"
"Of course I can, and I will." Max said and then set a time and day for their next date.

Max was just about to call the Good Ol' Dog Clubhouse, to see if Bino arrived when there came a knock at the door. Max went to the door and looked out he saw Peanut on the other side of the door.
"Hi Peanut, Grape said that you should get home because..." Max started
"Omigosh my vet's appointment, I forgot all about it. Thanks Max." Peanut said
"You're welcome, and be careful it's supposed to snow and it's still icy out." Max said as Peanut waved goodbye and ran in the direction of the Sandwich house.
Max shut the door and headed back towards his room. before he could reach his room however, he heard the door open and Bino brushed by him muttering something about cat-lovers and headed for his quarters. Max shook his head and headed for his own room, When he got to his room he noticed the tea was cold. Max went to the kitchen made himself a fresh cup and picked up a Pridelands novel. Two hours later, according to his bedside clock the phone rang. He ran to answer it, but Bino beat him to it.
"Yeah, he's here. Max! It's your girlfriend!" Bino said as he went back to his own room and slammed the door.
" Hi Grape, Did Peanut get home safely? " Max asked
"Yes, he did, thanks for relaying the message." Grape said
"Oh, it was no problem, Ooh, so you got your shots huh." Max winced, " Yeah I got mine last week and my tail still aches. I love you too. See you later."
He hung up and headed back towards his room, only to run into Bino who was heading out. Bino was still muttering about cat lovers as he brushed by seeming not to notice the cat in front of him. Max shook his head and sighed thinking that dad would have to again bail Bino out of the pound or pick him up from the hospital. That's the way it always seemed to go whenever Bino tried one of his schemes. Sometime later Max finished his reading, and he set the book aside. He left his room put the teacup and saucer in the sink and went to the living room to watch TV on the big set. He was about to reach for the remote control when he heard a knock on the door. Looking out the door Max saw a grey husky with a brown coat.
" Hi Fox, " Max said, "I'm afraid Bino isn't here if you're looking for him."
"Well, Bino and I aren't exactly on the best of term recently." Fox said, " But I wanted to mend fences, can you tell him that I am withdrawing my veto. He can have the presidency. I also wanted to clear the air about him getting locked in the pound. i was just doing my job. It was nothing personal."
"He still hasn't let that go? " Max said, " he should be angry at his so-called girlfriend for ignoring his call and at his own fool self for trying such an idiotic scheme."
"I know that, and you know that, Max, but you also know Bino." Fox rolled his eyes, "Anyways, I'm leaving the Good Ol' Dogs, it's just no fun anymore. Also my job comes first."
"I'm sorry to hear that, " Max told him, " You are one of the few who would stand up to Bino. Look, I am sure that Bino knows that a K-9 officer has to make hard choices, after all he's been brothers with Fido his whole life. I'll tell him you stopped by and relay your messages though. I am sure he'll be happy that he can finally claim his birthright."
"Birthright?"
"His words, not mine."
" I see, i need to get to work, " Fox said, and headed off
" Okay, be careful, there are a lot of nuts out there" Max said shutting the door again.

He went to the couch, and was again about to reach for the remote when, he heard the phone ring and he went to answer it. Again it was Grape.
"Maxie!" Grape said, " Mom and dad got me the newest Pridelands on DVD would you like to watch it with me?"
"For you, Grape, I would watch anything, even Dance Dogs" Max told her
"Ick, you know, i hate that show!" Grape said
"Yeah, I do too, but I'm just saying.. "
" I know honey. If I ever do like that show though, please take me to the vet so i can get checked out for head trauma." Grape told him
"Will do. Um, I'll have to wait a while until dad gets home , he doesn't want us leaving the house unlocked." Max said, " Yup see you."
Max hung up the phone and grinned broadly. The day was getting better.
That evening Max was waiting impatiently for his dad to come home. Bino hadn't shown up either but Max imagined that his brother was at Duchess' s house, or at the Good Ol' Dog clubhouse. He checked his clock it was eight o'clock. He called Grape.
"Hi , hon, yeah I'll have to take a rain check." Max said " Dad hasn't gotten home yet. Yeah, i know. Well, you and Peanut enjoy it, and tell him not to post any spoilers online." Max said and hung up the phone sadly.
Going back to his room. He lay down on his bed and closed his eyes. When he opened them again it was eleven o'clock. He looked out the window, his dad's car was not there. He yawned and went to the bathroom for a glass of water, and heard yet another knock on the door. Max went to the door, and saw Fox, and two men on in a police uniform and one in a suit standing outside. He opened the door.

" Hi Fox, Bino isn't here and I don't know where dad is, but.." Max started
" Hello Max, this is Officer Gonzalez, and Jon Clay chaplain from the police force. Can we come in?" Fox asked, and Max noticed that he too was in uniform.
" Sure. Look I don't know where Dad is, but I do apologize in case Bino.. " Max started again
"Would anyone like coffee?" Max asked. as the three entered the house.
All three refused, and Max was about to offer tea, when Clay spoke.
"Max, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you."
Last edited by trekkie on Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Saturn381

Re: Housepets! The Meaning of Brotherhood

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, trekkie. Can't wait to see more.
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

really nice job on this, cant wait to read more!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like it is really coming together perfectly.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

"Dad, dead?" Maxwell stared up at Clay, "Are you sure"
"Yes, I'm afraid I am. His identity was confirmed, on the scene, " Clay said "I'm very sorry."
"How... how did it happen? " Max asked
" A drunk driver slammed into him head-on. " Fox said "Max, I'm so very sorry."
Max stared at the floor, he was fighting every impulse to cry. "Does Bino know?" he asked
"Yes I told him myself. " Fox said, "Do you want us to take you somewhere, Grape's house maybe?"
"Where is Bino staying, he shouldn't be alone at a time like this." Max looked at Fox
"He's fine, her's at Duchess's house. " Fox said gently, " You know you shouldn't be alone either."
"I know, " Max said "Can you call the Sandwiches? Their number is in the kitchen by the phone, I don't want to surprise them at this time of night."
"Yes." Gonzalez spoke for the first time, " I will call them right now."

While Gonzalez did so Fox followed Max into his room, an helped him pack his spare collars and some Pridelands books, along with his scarf and winter hat. As they were packing Max's bag Fox spoke, " Max, I know you are hurting right now. But, you can get through this. You'll just have to take my word on that. If you need someone to talk, to you can call me, King, or Bailey at any time. Okay?"

"That's very kind of you, Fox I..I just can't believe that dad is gone. I was here in my room, and I was so mad at him. I wanted him home, now, you I could watch a movie.. I .. Oh, God forgive me"

"Max, " Fox again spoke very gently "This isn't your fault. Your anger did not kill your dad. You should not feel responsible, in any way. The only one who should feel responsible is that drunk driver who crashed into him. But, I know that you can believe one thing in your mind another in your heart. You feel angry and confused, you just want to be away from others. But, Max, that is the last thing you should do. You will need others to help you through this time. Don't take on all the grief alone. I know I don't know you all that well, and maybe I didn't always agree or get along with Bino but no one deserves for this to happen to them. No one."

"Thank you Fox," Max spoke "That is very kind of you to say. Now you may think I'm obsessing a little but how did Bino take the news."
"He seemed stunned, " Fox said, " He than said some things, well I'm sure he didn't mean them..but.."
" What did he say, Fox?" Max asked
"He said... look...i don't know whether I should tell you now..."
"Fox, " Max said firmly " Spit it out. What did he say?"
"Well, he said that one good thing came out of the incident, and that is that he would no longer be sharing a house with a cat. He that he hoped you enjoyed the pound, because that's where you were going. Then he just smirked, he has that smirk you know. He seemed so happy about you going to the pound. Sometimes, I hate him . Sometimes, he makes me ashamed of being a dog." Fox's voice was very quiet

"Don't be." Max said, "I probably will go to the pound. I mean, who would want me? But I can survive the pound. I've survived it before, and I can survive it again. But he won't last more than a week. That's why i told dad to make sure that Bino was well taken care of, he may seem so full of himself, but underneath it all he is very, very fragile. When Sasha dumped him, he cried for hours, he was inconsolable. I can't imagine what the poor guy is going through now. "
"Poor guy?" Fox seemed stunned, "He was happy about you going to the pound and you say poor guy? "

"Yes, I do." Max said, " You think that that charming princess over there is going to be any comfort to him? If he starts crying to much, she'll dump him as surely as next week has a Tuesday. Then he'll be alone, and that is as you said the last thing you should be.So please, Fox don't be angry with Bino. Don't hate him. Hate only destroys the hater."

"Well that was quite a speech." Fox said, " Very impressive."

Max smiled. "Look I may not like Bino all that much but he sure deserves better than that creature. I also know that in your heart, you know what i do, that under all his bluster and egotism, he is a scared, sad dog, who deserves sympathy."

"Of course I do, and darn you for knowing it.You know sometimes I feel guilty wearing this uniform because of Bino. Not only because I hot him locked up but because I succeeded where he failed." Fox then blinked, " Why am i telling you all this now?"
" You needed to tell someone, and like they say any port in a storm."
" I guess so. But, Max, you deserve sympathy as much as he does. And you deserve a good home." Fox looked at Max.
" I guess.." Max said
"No, I guess about it you.."
Just then there was a knock on the door frame and Gonzalez said. " Excuse me guys, but the Sandwiches are here."
" Thank you officer." Max said, "and thanks for all of your help, Fox." Max slung his bag over his shoulder and headed to where Grape, Peanut, and their parents stood. Nearing them he seemed to weaken, and all of the tears and emotion he combated for so long seemed to overwhelm him, until Grape and Peanut closed around him comfortingly, and Mr. Sandwich took Max's bag. Fox could hear Max crying and he knew, that he would cry a lot tonight, until there seemed to be no tears left.
Fox and Gonzalez watched as the Sandwiches and Max got into the car , and drove off . Fox watched as the car's tail lights faded and then turned the corner, heading to the Sandwich house.
"Arturo, " Fox addressed his partner, " Does this, do these notifications get any easier?"
" I wish I could say they did, partner," Arturo Gonzalez said, " but they don't."
He noticed as Fox seemed to stare off, looking into the cold darkness, as if looking for answers and he wished he could give some to his rookie partner. But he had no answers either. He coughed, breaking the silence in the car, but Fox still stared out the window, being lost in his own thoughts.
"You okay, Fox?" he asked the husky
"No." Fox said, " I won't be okay, until we nail that woman, and put her away for a long time. All the hurt she's caused, and she claims she did nothing wrong. She claims we're in the wrong. I can't deal..Look can you take the interview with her? If I see her and hear her whine after what i saw in there I'll lose it." Fox looked at his partner.
Gonzalez looked back at Fox. He noticed the husky's normally gentle and placid face was set in a look of unbridled anger, "Sure I can. You go through the witness statements. I'll handle the interview. " Then Arturo Gonzalez looked at his watch, and pulled the police car away from the now empty house.

Last edited by trekkie on Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

*hit by a shotgun loaded with feels*
Oh man! This fanfiction, so many feels! I usually don't enjoy fanfics like this, but this just feels so emotional and well done. I look forward to more.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, trekkie! I wanna give Max a hug right now!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

hmmm... something seems off about max.
some of his responses seem too calm...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Buster wrote:hmmm... something seems off about max.
some of his responses seem too calm...
Well, he's trying to hold it all together because he feels, he has to be strong, and he believes that letting others see you cry or get emotional is a sign of weakness. He'll be plenty emotional once he gets with people/animals he trusts. Trust me, there is nothing sinister about Max in this story. Edit: Sorry if I seem like I'm snapping at you, today's been a rough day..

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really like how this chapter has come out. Very poignant!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Oh my God THE FEELS! THE FEEEEEEELS!