Housepets: Matt

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Karl

Housepets: Matt

Post by Karl »

Before you will read the first chapter, I would like to tell you something.

My forum username is Karlos. I know it's not a cool nick, but I had to think of something. Maybe in a distant future I will think of something better.

I'm reading Housepets! for some time. I must say that this comic is very nice. Rick Griffin created something wonderful. And thanks to him, I see world in better colors.

But also this comic inspires me. I like characters that have their appearences there. I like their look, personalities, features...

I just love animals. Especially pets. I cannot imagine living without a pet. It's impossible.

And I like the humour. Each strip gives me a smile.

And after some reading, some ideas started to form in my head. And I've decided to write a fanfic, since other fans do that.

But the problem is that I weren't writing anything for a very long time. However, I believe that when you feel the need to write, you have to finally break the ice.

Maybe my work won't be a masterpiece as Goethe's writings. But it just comes with practice. And a fanfic is a good opportunity for that.

Also I'm not a native english speaker. But I will try my best to give you a entertaining story. (By the way, I use a normal dictionary. Forget about Google Translate. Sometimes it makes nasty suprises)

I will try to keep close to the Housepets! storyline and style. It will be hard, but also fun.

Some info:

This story is rated PG. But I must confess that I have troubles with ratings. But don't worry. Nothing really nasty will happen.

Because of the rules that must be respected in Fan projects section, this story of fully open of any criticism.

Special thanks to:

Teh Brawler - he's the first one who encouraged me to write my fanfic. He also helped me with some questions. And I know that I can count on him.

valerio -when I told him when I will start posting my fanfic, he made sure that I won't flee, screaming like a little girl. Thanks for sharing thoughts with me Val.

Kyderra - since he mods "Fan Projects", I had to ask him about double posting. And he allowed me! So thanks to him, the current post that you are readin, exists.

copper - for helping me during my crisis. I don't know what would be without your advices.

Obbl - for becoming the first Beta Reader of this fic (28 V 2011). Thanks to you, I could write without worrying that I can confuse people, and understand english language better.

And most important:

Rick Griffin - for sharing the world of Housepets! with us.

Beta Readers:

Obbl 28 V 2011 - 20 X 2011

musclecar326 26 X 2011

Rights:

Housepets! belongs to © Rick Griffin. I used his characters with his permission.

I will never use my fanfic for commercy or earning money for myself.

Also if Rick Griffin will feel uncomfortable about my work and he will ask me to stop writing, I will do that.

Well... I guess that's enough. I won't be boring you anymore =D . Feel free to comment and don't be afraid of criticism. And I am opened for your thoughts.

Story begins under this post.

What will happen, will happen.
Last edited by Karl on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 16 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
Karl

Re: Housepets: Matt

Post by Karl »

1. Changes

They say that dogs are man’s best friends.

They’re always willing to play games. They’re loyal. They can protect you in a pinch. They can be cuddled. They like it when you rub their bellies or scratch behind their ears.

Some people say it’s a stereotype. Because they can talk like humans, walk on two legs like humans and do many things like humans can do. Despite the fact that dogs have fur and only wear collars, are they really different from humans?

That’s why some people decided to go beyond friendship with dogs.

Not only were dogs man’s best friends. They were also like children that you needed to raise and take care of.

But not everyone liked this idea. A dog was supposed to be a pet only. Wasn’t making him a part of the family for real one step too far?

That’s why people moved to Babylon Gardens with their dogs - a place where humans co-existed with pets. A place where humans were allowed to treat their pets like their own children. And no one would blame them for that. Ever.

A real paradise for those who wanted to live with their dogs in a different way than usual. Those who wanted something more than just having a pet.

For those who treated their dogs like family members.

But something is going to interfere in this microcosmos. Something that even the inhabitants of Babylon Gardens would never have expected to happen. Something that will put dogs’ friendship towards humanity to the test.

Something that the people and pets of Babylon Gardens won’t forget for a long time.

They say that dogs are man’s best friends… Are they right?

- - - - - - - - - -

It was a sunny day in Babylon Gardens. Spring was starting to unleash its full beauty, showing off all kinds of flowers of various colors. And when all the pets felt the warm sunbeams, none of them could think about staying indoors. Dogs took their owners to the local park to play some games. Cats took naps on windowsills and on top of walls, allowing their bones and fur to get some warm energy. Birds flew around, singing their happy melodies. Yes, spring could be felt in the air.

However, no one noticed a blue car that was coming towards the neighborhood.

Inside sat three figures. The car was being driven by a man with black hair and a moustache. He also had some gray hair visible. His eyes were blue and there were some blood veins visible in them.

On the passenger’s side sat a woman - not too tall, with brown hair and eyes. She was sleeping.

“Alice.” The man touched her arm and shook her a little. “Wake up Alice. We’re finally here.”

The woman who was named Alice rubbed her eyes and blinked. Then she looked at her husband and gave him a warm smile.

“We’ve arrived at Babylon Gardens, honey?” she asked.

“Well not yet,” he replied. “But I can see the sign in front of us.”

In the distance they could see the sign that lead into the neighborhood. It said:

WELCOME TO BABYLON GARDENS. A PET FRIENDLY COMMUNITY.

“At last, Stan,” Alice turned her head to her husband. “A place where we can have a good and peaceful life.”

“You’re right,” Stan replied. “I was tired of the chaos in Chicago. From what I’ve read in the catalogue, it’s very peaceful here. And thank heavens there are no traffic jams! But most important is that people here are tolerant and friendly. I’m looking forward to having a good relationship with the neighbors. The ones near our flat were just awful.”

“I’m sure that our sonny will like it here. Am I right, honey?” Alice spoke a little louder on her last sentence.

A loud sigh came from the backseat.

“Yeah,” Stan had a grimace on his face. “I hope he will…”

- - - - - - - - - -

The gathering of the Good Ol’ Dogs’ Club had finally come to an end and Bino was heading home. After two hours of convincing club members how much they needed him as their leader, he deserved some rest. (The club members too. After all, it’s really hard to stay focused when someone just babbles on about mindless nonsense.)

He was thinking about the next gathering. Maybe for his next speech he should talk about drinking water from the toilet bowl. Recently humans were trying to educate their dogs to stop doing that. It was a serious threat for Bino and he believed that some action must be taken.

But for now he just wanted to rest. He would write his speech after he had taken a nap.

As Bino was heading down the street, he looked to the other side of the road where the Sandwich household stood.

He focused his sight on a window. He saw a dog and a cat, wearing paper bags on their heads, waving sticks in air like they were having a sword fight.

“I don’t get it,” Bino muttered to himself. “Why does he play games with that cat? As if he couldn’t find some other dog to play with around here. Stupid cat lover.”

After a few minutes of walking, Bino finally approached his house. He reached for the door-knob and entered.

Inside, he saw Max taking a nap on their dad’s armchair. When Bino closed the door, Max opened one of his eyes.

“Oh, Bino. My lovely dog brother,” Max said with a grin on his face. “How did your dog things go in your club?”

“They are not just dog things,” Bino gave him a glare as he approached the armchair. “They are very important things. And since you’re a cat, you would never understand how important they are.”

“I see.” As Max said that, he stretched his feline body and yawned wide. “Was it about chasing your own tail again? Or this time about chewing a stick?”

“Hah, very funny, Max,” Bino replied sarcastically. “Very funny. But I’m not up for arguing today. I’m going to lie down.” And when he finished his last sentence, he turned toward his room.

*SLAM!!!*

Both Max and Bino jumped in place as they heard a loud door slam.

Their dad had returned home. They could see that he was really angry. His eyes were almost bulging out of their orbits and his face was all red.

Jake approached the armchair and looked at Max who was quite shocked.

“Max. Get off my armchair.” He tried to say his words calmly.

Without hesitation, Max quickly jumped off the armchair and continued looking at his dad. Bino was doing the same.

Jake threw himself in the armchair like a doll that had no control over his body. When he was in his armchair, he let out a long sigh.

For some time, there was an awkward silence in the room. Bino came closer to Max and both of them stared at their dad, who had his eyes closed and was breathing deeply.

“Dad…” Bino broke the silence. “What happened? Why are you so angry?”

Jake slowly opened his eyes and looked at his pets. He had a worried expression on his face.

“I don’t know how I can explain this to you…” He rested his head on the armchair and looked up at ceiling.

“Don’t worry dad. We’re listening,” Max said.

Jake looked at them again.

“I lost my job. Again,” he started to explain. “Since there’s a crisis now, a lot of people are getting fired. And I’m worried about money. Since it was my new job, I haven’t earned any salary yet. And we’re starting to lose our savings…”

His pets were listening attentively.

“I hoped this won’t happen. But now I know that I have to do it. Pet food costs a lot. And it’s impossible to buy enough for both of you. So I had to make a really hard decision. I have to sell one of you…”

Bino and Max were shocked. They exchanged glances with each other, both of their mouths open. Then they looked at their dad again.

A deadly silence filled the entire room.

And then, Bino started to pat Max’s shoulder.

“Well, Max, it was really great living with you.” Bino gave him a grin. “But such situations happen in our lives. I hope you understand. You’re a cat, you’ll do just fine. You can handle it. And I’m sure you’ll-”

“Bino,” Jake interrupted.

Bino glanced at his dad.

“I’ve decided that I will sell you.”

Bino’s stomach sank. His eyes grew wide and his lower lip began to tremble.

”S-sell… me?” Bino whispered weakly. He wanted to fall to his knees. “Dad… y… you don’t… love me anymore?”

Jake massaged his eyelids with his hand.

“Bino, it’s not like that-”

“But-but… you… you want to… SELL ME?!?” Bino clenched his fists as he let out his rage. “YOU WANT TO SELL ME?!? WHY DO YOU WANT TO SELL ME!! WHY CAN’T IT BE MAXWELL?!? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ME!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!

BINO STOP IT!!!” Jake screamed at him as he stood up rapidly. “IT WASN’T AN EASY DECISION! AND DON’T TALK TO YOUR DAD LIKE THAT!

Max’s ears folded back. Bino’s fists were shaking.

Okay, young man! I want you to go to your room now!” He pointed his finger in the direction where Bino was supposed to go. “And don’t come out until I say so!

Bino looked like he was about to cry. His lips were moving like we wanted to say something. But he turned in the direction his dad was pointing. He rushed to his room. There was the noise of a door slamming. And Max could’ve sworn that he heard quiet whimpers.

Jake slowly sat in his armchair and hid his face in his hands.

“Dad?” Max asked silently.

“What is it,” his dad replied coldly, not moving his hands from his face.

“Can I go out and meet up with Marvin?”

“Go.”

Max stared at his dad for few moments. Then he turned around and left his house.

- - - - - - - - - -

Walking down the street, Max was thinking about the events that had occurred in his home.

He felt lucky that it wasn’t him who was going to be sold to some strangers. But somehow he wasn’t feeling any better.

Although Bino was a lousy jerk and a drama queen, he was actually feeling sorry for him.

Changing ownership was a taboo in the pet community of Babylon Gardens. No one spoke about such things out loud. Pets had to respect the laws that were made by humans. This included not choosing their owners as they pleased, nor could they do anything when their owner decided to give them to someone else.

All pets were afraid of being given to someone else. A human was like a parent to them. When your parents decide to give you to some strangers, how are you supposed to feel?

No one wished such a fate on anyone. Even their enemies.

As Max was deep in thought, he saw something orange in the bushes. It was Marvin. He was waving to him.

Max ran towards the bushes.

“Yo, Marvin,” Max greeted him with an emotionless tone. Marvin was surprised that he didn’t look as happy as usual.

“Something wrong, Max?” Marvin asked.

Max ran his fingers through his headfur.

“I’ll tell you later,” Max replied. “So why did you want to meet me here?”

“You see that house over there?” Marvin pointed his finger.

Max turned his head. Not far away stood a house. It was painted in yellow, and had two stories. Out front was a porch, surrounded by a brown banister, with stairs that lead to the front doors.

“Hey…” Max glanced at the house. “I know that house. It’s across the street from Grape’s house.”

For a moment, Max forgot about everything that had happened earlier. He was looking at the house with curiosity.

“But… it looks so clean and fresh now. Wasn’t that where that weird ol’ Betty was living?”

“As far as I know, she passed from this world,” Marvin explained. “Since she had no relatives, her house went to the “Milton Development”. It was renovated and put up for sale. And I heard, today the new owners are going to arrive.”

“New neighbors!” Max grinned with excitement. “I wonder who they are…”

As they were looking at the house, they heard the sound of a car engine. They saw a blue car that parked near the yellow house.

“It must be them!” Marvin said in excitement. “Let’s hide.”

Both of them squatted behind the bushes. And they observed…

Two doors of the car opened. From inside came a man and a woman, known as Stan and Alice.

“Whew. At last!” Stan stretched his arms after the long ride. “Well, here we are. And this, darling, is our new house.” He waved his arm in excitement, showing his wife what a pretty house he had bought for her.

“Oh, Stan!” She clapped her hands in joy. “It’s so beautiful! I always wanted a house like this. Just like in those old movies!”

Stan moved closer to his wife. He embraced her and gave her a kiss on her cheek.

“Glad you like it,” he said with a smirk under his moustache. “Just like the one you chose from the catalogue.”

“I’ll make a beautiful garden around here,” she said in excitement. “And we’ll have a view of the street from our kitchen.”

And while they were embracing, Stan turned his head in the direction of his car.

“Matt!” he said louder. “Get out of the car!”

Max’s and Marvin’s ears perked.

“Matt?” Marvin asked himself. “Must be their pet.”

Max turned his head toward Marvin, with a wide grin on his face.

“Five bucks says it’s a dog,” he said.

Marvin looked at Max.

“Okay!” Marvin said with enthusiasm. “But this time you’re gonna loose for sure. It was a dog last time, so now it’ll be a cat.”

“Deal,” Max said as they both shook paws. Then they continued watching the events that were unfolding in front of them.

They gasped as a car door opened.

And then, their eyes grew wide.

What came out was not a pet.

It had no fur. No floppy ears. No pink nose.

It was a male teenager.

He had black hair. It wasn’t too long, nor was it short. It looked messy, like he had just gotten out of bed. His eyes were blue.

He was wearing a black leather coat that was semi opened. It had some zippers for pockets. He had silver spikes on his arms. His hands were covered by black gloves and on his wrists were spiked bracelets. He was wearing blue jeans and black military boots.

Matt got out of the car and crossed his arms. The expression on his face looked like he was going to spit in someone’s face.

“How do you like our new home?” his dad asked.

Matt looked at the yellow house without any interest.

“I don’t like it,” he threw wryly.

“Why, sonny?” asked his mom.

“Because I don’t that’s all.” He gave his mother a glare.

“Sometimes I don’t get you, son,” Stan said, not liking the attitude of his son.

“You don’t have to.”

His father could only facepalm.

“Ugh, fine. Let’s just go inside. Our furniture should arrive soon and there will be some work to do.”

As Stan and Alice headed towards their new house, Matt stayed for a moment behind them. He looked around himself to see the surrounding houses.

“Disgusting place…” he said and followed his parents.

- - - - - - - - - -

As the new neighbors disappeared inside their house, Max and Marvin jumped out of bushes.

“Did you see what I saw?” Marvin said, still with his eyes wide open.

“Yeah. I did,” Max replied. “They don’t have a pet. They have a biological child. Their own.”

“Duh, but now our bet’s been canceled…” Marvin said with disappointment.

“Well, look on the bright side,” Max grinned. “Now we have stuff to gossip about with the other cats. Come on let’s go!”

He grabbed Marvin by the arm and pulled him along, running to meet with some neighbor cats on their way.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bino was lying on his bed with his face buried in a pillow.

He couldn’t believe what was happening. His dad was going to sell him. He wasn’t thinking about his feelings. Bah, he didn’t even ask for his opinion.

And why couldn’t it be Max instead of him? He’d been there way longer than Max was. After all, he was raised by his dad there. He felt linked to him and to that place.

Bino gripped his pillow. He wanted to tear it apart in his anger.

He thought his dad was an insolent fool. He had forgotten that his dog was the leader of all the local dogs. He shouldn’t treat such a highly positioned dog as Bino like that.

But then, anger was replaced with worry.

Where would he go now? With whom would he live? Would this person be good to him? Would he discipline him the way his dad did?

And… would he have to move from Babylon Gardens? Would he stop being chairman of the Good Ol’ Dogs’ Club?

Would he loose his pack and siblings? Fido? Joey? Rex? Fox?

Fox…

I think… it would be better to talk with Fox,” he thought to himself.

He slowly sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. He knew that he could not leave his room. He had to sneak out.

He stood up. He walked closer to the window and opened it…

(A/N 21 XI 2010)

Well, I have mixed feelings about this chapter. But I guess it didn’t came out bad afterall. You may noticed that I’m not into details. But I’m not used to write in English. And even if I tried to do that, I bet it would look just horrible. So I believe that simplicity is enough.
I know that first chapter haven’t explained everything to you. But don’t worry about that. Everything will come in progress.
I’m opened for your criticism. Feel free to say what you have in your mind.

CHANGELOG
27 I 2011: Bino and Max's onwner's name edited. Reason: according to tags, Jeff is the official name.
4 VI 2011: Added Beta Reader's corrections
Last edited by Karl on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

very nice. I wish you luck at your FanFic.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

KizerZin wrote:very nice. I wish you luck at your FanFic.
Same. VERY GOOD first update.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Tha Housedog wrote:
KizerZin wrote:very nice. I wish you luck at your FanFic.
Same. VERY GOOD first update.

I was worried about the first chapter. I thought it might turen to have a flat plot and it won't attract readers.

Aw man! I forgot to title the first chapter! I have to make edition right away.
I'm a bookworm!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

HAAAAAaaaaaa! I started right before you and no one reads mine but you have me and Housedog so don't worry.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I read everything! Every story is my favorite in its own little way!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

I liked it. It focuses on a topic not often seen in fan-fics. I hope to see more soon. XD
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Karl

Post by Karl »

lightwolf21 wrote:I liked it. It focuses on a topic not often seen in fan-fics. I hope to see more soon. XD
Well, this week I'll be very busy with my studies. So you will have to wait for next saturday.

So don't worry. Your wish will be granted for sure :)
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

This story is great! I can't believe that Bino is going to be sold, though. :(
It was a little tough to read through because of the grammar, but that's understandable since English is not your first language.
Keep it up. I can't wait for the next chapter.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

Noooo! Poor Bino! Feel bad for him now! Thiss looing real good though!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Ok, so you had warned us about the language...and yet your syntaxis is WAY better than mine, in English. Ach!
Apart from that, it is an EXCELLENT story! It has all! It's original, it's dramatic (yes, I feel really sorry for Bino), it has a new non-animal neighbor (dare I say who Bino will end up with?)....
I hope I can resist until next update...

EDIT: Jack's a total jerk! Why don't you just cut YOUR own expenses, mr. I-am-so-irresponsible?!
NykVerien

Post by NykVerien »

Poor Bino! BTW I'm really liking this fanfic so far. You do a pretty good job making the characters real. I wish you luck!
Karl

Post by Karl »

copper wrote:It was a little tough to read through because of the grammar, but that's understandable since English is not your first language.
I was afraid of my grammar. Despite that I've studied it hard to remember all formulas, it's still imperfect. I guess the only way to make it better is to speak English often. Like, go to GB or US for one year.
But I'm glad that you like it :) And since people are giving me possitive comments, I will update it for sure.
ChristopherJackal wrote:Noooo! Poor Bino! Feel bad for him now! Thiss looing real good though!
Thank you :) And I can't wait for next update of your fic.
valerio wrote:Ok, so you had warned us about the language...and yet your syntaxis is WAY better than mine, in English. Ach!
Apart from that, it is an EXCELLENT story! It has all! It's original, it's dramatic (yes, I feel really sorry for Bino), it has a new non-animal neighbor (dare I say who Bino will end up with?)....
I hope I can resist until next update...
Worst thing is that I'm used to other system of writing that is in my country. Readers may not get some points that I had on my mind. So I have to be careful. And I must think not only as author, but also as a reader.

And I'm really glad that you're enjoying my work. I'll do my best to keep it entertaining :)
NykVerien wrote:Poor Bino! BTW I'm really liking this fanfic so far. You do a pretty good job making the characters real. I wish you luck!
I'm trying to make the original characters of Housepets! to be like in the comic. It's not an easy job, but I hope that it will turn out fine. Also I want to make mine fan characters to have their own personalities. So I have to "think" like them. Wear their skin as would Joey say :)

And thanks :) I will really need it :D
I'm a bookworm!
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

I have to say, I'm really intrigued by this. I will continue to read it. ^^
If it is no trouble, Karlos, what is you Primary language?

Edit: I just realized, the teen shares my name (Matt). Awesome!
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Pecan wrote:I have to say, I'm really intrigued by this. I will continue to read it. ^^
If it is no trouble, Karlos, what is you Primary language?

Edit: I just realized, the teen shares my name (Matt). Awesome!
For now I don't want to reveal my nationality because I want to be a simple forum user for now. It's not that I'm ashamed of my roots, but experience tells me to be careful for now and tell something more about me in time.

Glad I intrigued you ;)
I'm a bookworm!
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

I understand. Not a problem. ^^
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

HRNGRMUFFIN THIS IS AMAZING

One thing: you switched the wife's name from Alice to Alicia.

BUT HRNGRMUFFIN THIS IS AMAZING
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Karl

Post by Karl »

Teh Brawler wrote:HRNGRMUFFIN THIS IS AMAZING

One thing: you switched the wife's name from Alice to Alicia.

BUT HRNGRMUFFIN THIS IS AMAZING
=O

Editing right away!

EDIT: Okay, fixed. Thanks XD
I'm a bookworm!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sorry guys, update will be delayed today because I have to go on a family party. But don't worry. When I'll come back, I'll post the new chapter.
I'm a bookworm!
Karl

Post by Karl »

2. Plum flavored pie

Bino was sitting on a bench in the local park. Fox had told him to wait there because he had to help his dad with some work.

He was observing the events that were taking place on the field. He could see dogs and their owners playing games. One of the humans was holding his dog in his arms, stroking its headfur. They were both laughing from all the joy they felt.

This scene made Bino feel more upset. He could not remember the last time he had been to the park with his dad. Nor could he remember the last time his dad had given him such caresses like the dog he was currently observing.

Now his dad was going to sell him.

Does that mean… that he doesn’t love me anymore?” he thought to himself. “I’m really not worth anything to him?

“Bino!”

Bino turned his head in the direction of the person calling him. He saw Fox, waving his paw and coming towards him.

“Can I sit here?” Fox asked, pointing at an empty place near Bino.

“Sure…” Bino replied with a sad voice, looking at the ground.

Fox took a seat near Bino and looked at him. By the expression on Bino’s face and from his eyes, Fox knew that something was bothering him.

“Did something happen?” Fox asked with a worried expression.

“It’s about my dad,” Bino started to explain, still with his sigh pierced to the ground. “He came back home angry again.”

“Did he do something to you?”

“No, he… he decided to…” Bino buried his face in his paws. “He wants to sell me…”

“Huh?” Fox blinked several times. “Sell you? You mean, he doesn’t want to be your dad anymore?”

“That’s what he told me,” Bino said with grief in his voice and looked at Fox with glassy eyes. “He wants to sell me instead of Max! He loves him more than me!”

“Don’t think like that Bino.” Fox started to rub Bino’s back. “Calm down now. Maybe he said that because he was angry. You know your dad has a rough temper.”

“But, but…” Bino insisted. “He said that he can’t buy enough food for both of us! And to save some money he’s going to get rid of me!”

Bino was trying not to cry in front of Fox. He felt like his eyes were burning, but he still had some dignity in him. After all, he was the chairdog of the Good Ol’ Dogs’ Club and it was inappropriate for him to act like a crybaby in front of others.

But Fox knew that Bino was an emotional wreck. He felt sorry for him and gave him a support hug.

“I’m really sorry Bino,” Fox said, rubbing his back. “I don’t know how I can help you in this situation. I can only hope that everything will be fine. Maybe you’ll get a new owner that has a good heart. You have to think positively.”

Bino returned Fox’s support hug.

“But I don’t want to go to someone else…” he said. “I’ve been with Dad since I was a pup. I don’t want to loose my home.”

“I know it’s hard for you Bino,” Fox started to explain, “But think about those who are in a pet shelter. They’re still waiting for someone who will adopt them and give them home, warmth and love. You know for sure that someone will take you. Or maybe your dad will change his mind and you won’t be sold.”

Bino felt a little better after he heard those words. He knew that whatever happened, Fox would be there and he would back him up. Then he broke the hug and looked at Fox.

“You mean it?” Bino said.

“Of course.” Fox patted Bino on his shoulder and gave him a smile. “That’s what friends are for.”

Bino smiled slightly. But then another wave of worries came into his head.

“But what if I have to leave Babylon Gardens?” Bino asked Fox. “Does that mean I’ll be separated from all of my friends? Including you?”

“Well, that’s a tough question.” Fox crossed his arms and his head drooped.

It did not make Bino feel any better.

“Well, then just in case… maybe we can go wander around neighborhood tomorrow? Since it might be our last time together.”

“Oh, tomorrow? Well…” Fox smiled nervously and scratched his head. “I already promised King that we’d go the local park to play frisbee.”

Bino frowned. The sadness he was feeling before now vanished, replaced by anger and jealousy.

“I see! So King is more important than me?!” Bino said loudly.

“ Look, Bino it’s not…”

“Don’t give me excuses!” Bino interrupted Fox. “Since King showed up, you’ve spent most of your time with him. Every time I ask you to go out somewhere with our pack, it’s always King! And who is King to you huh? I thought I was your friend not him! Does he have something that I don’t have?! You like him more?!”

“That’s nonsense Bino!” Fox crossed his arms. “I’m just trying to help him socialize with other dogs. So far I’m his only friend and I’m the only person he talks to. You’re the one who was always saying that dogs should always stick together. But since you’re not letting King join the Good Ol’ Dogs’ Club, you’re not making my job any easier!”

Bino rapidly stood up from the bench. He turned to Fox with his paws clenched.

“I see now,” Bino said with anger. “It’s all about me. You blame me for all of your problems. That’s why you need to get rid of me and take my position as leader of the club. I knew King was suspicious since he showed up here. Who does he think he is? It’s obvious that a guy with a royal name would try to take charge here. And the way he speaks… he’s such a manipulator! And what’s worse, he was even able to manipulate you! So I bet that even if I leave Babylon Gardens, you won’t care much because you’ll still have King as your friend!”

Fox rolled his eyes. He was used to Bino’s drama so what he said was nothing new to him.

“Seriously, you should both stop hating each other. It would be much easier to hang out with both of you.”

“Oh no, Fox!” Bino snorted. “I’ll never be friends with that shrimp! Never, ever! I’d sooner play with yarn like a cat than let him sniff my butt!”

There was silence for a moment, but then Bino realized what he had just said and scratched his temple with his finger.

“Okay, maybe that thing with yarn was too much, but you get my point.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Fox said without amusement.

Bino then crossed his arms, turned away from Fox and lifted up his head.

“I’m really disappointed, Fox. I thought you would understand me and I’d find some consolation in you. But it seems that you don’t care at all. Well, have fun with Shorty tomorrow, I’m going home, and soon I’ll leave and I won’t see it ever again.”

Fox observed Bino as he walked away. When he saw him exiting the park, he let out a long sigh.

“Sometimes he really needs to cool off,” Fox thought to himself. “If he keeps up that attitude, he may cause even more trouble for himself and his dad. I only hope he ends up in good hands.”

----------

Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich heard about the new neighbors that had just moved in. Since they were going to live in the house that was across from theirs, they decided to pay them a visit. They were going there now with a pie that Mrs. Sandwich had baked.

“It’s nice that we have new neighbors,” Mrs. Sandwich said to her husband. “I hope they like my plum flavored pie.”

“As long as Peanut wasn’t drooling over it while you were preparing it like last time, then I’m sure they’ll appreciate our gift,” Mr. Sandwich replied.

“Thanks Earl, you didn’t need to remind me.”

Mr. Sandwich giggled under his nose.

Finally they approached the front door of the yellow house. Mr. Sandwich pushed the button next to it and they heard a melody ring out. They heard footsteps from the other side of the door.

“Coming!” they heard.

The footsteps came closer until they reached the doors. There was a clunk and the doors opened.

They saw a man that was in his forties. His hair was black, but they could see some gray places as well. He had a moustache and blue eyes.

“Yes? How can I help you?” the man asked.

“Good evening. We’re your neighbors.” Mr. Sandwich stretched out his hand. “I’m Earl Sandwich and this is my wife, Jill.”

The man stretched out his hand too and they shook hands.

“It’s really nice to meet you,” he said with a smile on his face. “My name is Stan Sternfeld. Please come in.”

Mr. Sternfeld let the Sandwiches inside. He guided them to the living room. Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich rested on a green sofa that was in front of a glass table and a big LCD.

“Nice box there Mr. Sternfeld,” Mr. Sandwich said as he looked at the LCD. “On the other hand, hard to call it a box since it looks so thin.”

“Thanks,” Mr. Sternfeld said with a smirk under his moustache. “I saved a lot for this babe. And just call me Stan.”

Mr. Sternfeld turned around then to the direction where kitchen was.

“My darling!” he said with a melody in his voice. “Come here please! We have guests!”

You don’t call me like that,” Mrs. Sandwich whispered to her husband with a teasing tone.

“I’m coming teddy!” Mrs. Sternfeld said back, making her husband’s cheeks turn red. “Just finished putting those new dishes on shelves!”

And you don’t call me like that either my darling,” Mr. Sandwich whispered back. Then they both giggled silently.

But Mrs. Sternfeld did not call her husband “teddy” for no reason. Although he was not fat, Stan Sternfeld had some weight that made him a little fluffy. And she loved to snuggle him because of that.

Mrs. Sternfeld came out from the kitchen with a pink apron on. She came up next to her husband, who put his arm around her waist.

“I would like to introduce you to my beautiful and lovely wife,” Mr. Sternfeld said with a big smile. “Alice, these are our neighbors, Earl and Jill Sandwiches. They’re living in the house that’s in front of us.”

“Awww,” Mrs. Sternfeld put her hands on her cheeks. “What a cute couple! If I knew that you were going to visit us, I would have prepared something special.”

Mrs. Sandwich stood up from the sofa with the pie in her hands.

“I have a gift for you,” she said with a smile. “I made this pie myself, specially for you. I hope you like it.”

“That’s so sweet of you!” Mrs. Sternfeld took the pie that Mrs. Sandwich was giving to her. “I’ll go slice it in pieces and bring some other treats too. What would you like to drink?”

“Coffee please,” Mr. Sandwich said.

“And tea for me please,” added Mrs. Sandwich.

Mrs. Sternfeld went to the kitchen with the pie that she had received. Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich sat back on the sofa, while Mr. Sternfeld took a seat on a comfy armchair that was nearby.

“So tell me Stan,” Mr. Sandwich started the conversation. “How do you like it here?”

“To be honest, I haven’t had time for any sightseeing yet,” Mr. Sternfeld replied. “But from what I’ve seen in brochure, this place looks really nice.”

“What brought you to Babylon Gardens?” Mrs. Sandwich asked.

Mrs. Sternfeld came back from the kitchen. She brought the pie that was now sliced into pieces and some other tasty treats, along with tea and coffee. Mrs. Sternfeld took a seat on a sofa near Mrs. Sandwich.

“We’re looking for a new, peaceful life,” Mr. Sternfeld continued. “We’re tired of living in a loud and polluted city. That’s why we decided to move here. And the other reason is our son…”

“Our motives were quite the same,” Mr. Sandwich said. “We like our neighborhood. Of course we work in the nearby town, it’s always good to have a house in a place that’s free of traffic jams. And the people here are pet-friendly. So I can assure you Stan, you’ll like it here.”

“You look young,” said Mrs. Sternfeld. “Do you have any children?”

“Well…” Mr. Sandwich scratched his head. “We do have a boy and a girl.”

“That’s really nice!” Mrs. Sternfeld clasped her hands in joy and gave the couple a warm smile. “What are they like?”

“Peanut is very enthusiastic,” Mr. Sandwich began. “He likes to chase his tail very often. And before we wake up, he jumps on my stomach while I’m still asleep. Sometimes it’s hard to tell him to keep his rawhide bone in one place, but we’ve gotten used to it. And Grape has recently had her issues with shedding. But it’s normal since spring is here and she’s getting rid of her winter fur.”

For a moment, Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld blinked at the young couple. But then, Mr. Sternfeld realized what Mr. Sandwich had on his mind.

“I see. You have pets,” Mr. Sternfeld came to a conclusion.

Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich giggled.

“We’re not sure yet if we’re ready to have our own children,” Mrs. Sandwich explained while Mr. Sandwich was taking a sip of his coffee. “That’s why we treat our dog and cat like our children. We want to see if we’re good as parents and if we’ll be able to face any behavioral problems.”

“I know something about behavioral problems…” Mr. Sternfeld muttered under his nose.

“We love our pets very much,” Mr. Sandwich added. “That’s why we moved to Babylon Gardens. It’s a pet-friendly community and no one here dictates how we are supposed to treat our pets.”

“Speaking of children… you said that you have a son. Will we get a chance to meet him?” Mrs. Sandwich asked.

“Oh right! I’ll call him right away.” Mr. Sternfeld turned his head in the direction of the stairs.

“Matt!” he yelled. “Come down here! We have guests!”

Silence.

“Matt! You hear me?!”

….
….

I’m busy. Leave me alone.” They heard a voice coming from the upper floor.

Mr. Sternfeld’s face turned red.

Matthew Sternfeld! If I tell you to come down, it means you have to come down!!

Something like a grumble could be heard. After a few moments, they heard footsteps above them. Then, someone was walking downstairs.

And that’s when they saw him.

Matthew Sternfeld was standing near the stairs. He didn’t have a leather coat on himself, but a black T-shirt with a burning skull on it. He had a grimace on his face and he was looking at the Sandwiches with a glare.

He knew that his parents were having guests in the living room. That’s why he was sitting in his room, hoping that everyone would leave him alone. But as always, his father had to ruin his plan.

“Alright.” Matt turned his gaze towards his father. “I’m here. Happy?”

“Don’t talk back to me!” Mr. Sternfeld got angry. “Especially not in front of our guests!”

Mr. Sandwich stood up from his place. He came closer to Matt and stretched out his hand for a handshake.

“Hello there young man,” he said with a smile on his face. “My name’s Earl. It’s nice to meet you.”

Matt looked at Mr. Sandwich’s hand for a moment. Then he crossed his arms and looked back at his father.

“Alright. They’ve seen me. Can I go back to my cave now?”

Mr. Sternfeld facepalmed.

“Yes. Go please,” he answered with note of sarcasm in his voice.

“Great…” Matt gave a nasty look to Mr. Sandwich. Then he turned around and went upstairs.

After Matt walked upstairs, they heard a door slam.

“Wow…” Mr. Sandwich said after few moments. “Did you see that, Jill?” he turned to his wife and pointed his finger in the direction where Matt went. “A rebellious teenager!” he said with a smirk on his face.

“Earl!” Mrs. Sandwich scolded him.

“Oops! Sorry.”

Mr. Sandwich took a seat on the sofa again.

There was a moment of silence. Mr. Sternfeld was rubbing his temples. Only Mrs. Sternfeld was still smiling like nothing had happened.

“Isn’t my sonny a cute boy?” she said. “He sometimes has an explosive temper, but overall he’s really sweet.”

“Yeah, we could see that…” Mrs. Sandwich said as she looked at ceiling.

“That’s the other reason why we moved here.” Mr. Sternfeld stopped rubbing his temples and looked at the couple. “Matt is sixteen years old. Recently he’s been causing a lot of trouble for us. I don’t know if it’s because he’s going through some kind of “rebellious phase” right now like all teens do. He’s cheeky, mean and he’s not listening to us. I don’t know if it’s because we’re doing something wrong. Or if he just lacks discipline. In Chicago, he had no friends in school. The principal of the high school where he was attending called us often. Not to mention the police…”

For a moment, the entire room was filled with silence. Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich were listening to him attentively.

“We also have an elder son, Mike,” he continued. “He’s totally different from Matt. He always got good grades in school. The teachers praised him for his good behavior. We never had any problems with him. He always listened to what I had to say. He’s a policeman now. He moved out and now he lives on his own.”

Mr. Sternfeld put his fingers together and drifted deep into his thoughts.

“I hope that Matt will change here, that he’ll start to go outside instead of always riding that technological demon that is his computer. And that he’ll meet some new friends. I don’t want him to be closed in himself.”

“Excuse me, if I may interrupt you…” Mrs. Sandwich said, making Mr. Sternfeld come back to reality and turn his gaze towards her. “From what I’ve noticed, you don’t have any pets in your house. Is that right?”

Mr. Sternfeld nodded.

“You’d better get one,” Mr. Sandwich added. “You may not know this, but earlier in this house lived an old lady that everyone called Weird Ol’ Betty. She was very paranoid and because she had no pets, everyone was oww!”

Mr. Sandwich felt a nudge in his side.

Honey, you’re not helping,” she whispered to him. Then she turned her face to Mr. Sternfeld.

“Since he’s having trouble making friends with his peers and lacks discipline, maybe you should consider getting a pet?”

Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld gazed at Mrs. Sandwich.

“A pet??” they both said in unison…

(A/N 27 XI 210)

I have a feeling that I made some nasty grammar mistakes. But I hope you’ll forgive me. I’m trying my best. But I guess I just need some practice.
I wanted to make this chapter a little longer. But I guess that’s what happen when you write something too late. I think next time I’ll just write some pieces in free time and then combine them.
Also, writing takes me some time. I weren’t writing for a long time, plus I’m using dictionary.
I have a feeling that I haven’t let out everything from my head. But I guess a lot of people are having this issue. So I just have to keep going.
Let me know your thoughts. I’m not sure is this chapter as good as the first one, but I hope you like it, despite my grammar =D .

CHANGELOG
18 VI 2011: Added Beta Reader's corrections
24 I 2011: Due that Mrs. Sandwich's name was revealed in arc 50. Housepets Babies!, all empty gaps for name imagination got filled.
Last edited by Karl on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, the grammar's not a problem, the update is very readable and smooth.
Loved it, most definitely.... Except for a thing: I mean, the Sandwiches having Peanut and Grape as 'social lab rats' as they plan for a baby? Man, seems so twisted of these two humans to do!! :twisted: :twisted:
Karl

Post by Karl »

valerio wrote:Except for a thing: I mean, the Sandwiches having Peanut and Grape as 'social lab rats' as they plan for a baby? Man, seems so twisted of these two humans to do!! :twisted: :twisted:
*laughs*

Well... from what I was reading on forums, they're not sure yet do they want to have children. So that's what I was basing on.

But you're right. It sounds terrible :lol:

Maybe I'll edit it if I'll find a way to express this better.
Last edited by Karl on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bookworm!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

I think I see where this is going...and I hope it turns out as such, because it will be a very interesting story, indeed. :twisted:
I did notice a few typos and grammar issues, but they weren't anything too distracting as to make it unreadable. Good job overall, Karlos. :D
Also:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great update! There were a few mistakes and you messed up your tenses a little, but it never interfered with the flow of the story. That's all that matters anyway.
My characters
Karl

Post by Karl »

Then I'm glad that my grammar is not hurting you :) Maybe I will improve in time.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Karlos wrote:Then I'm glad that my grammar is not hurting you :) Maybe I will improve in time.
I like this fanfic a lot and hope that you continue. Your grammar wasn't that bad at all, really. It is far better than some people that I know have.
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:
Karlos wrote:Then I'm glad that my grammar is not hurting you :) Maybe I will improve in time.
I like this fanfic a lot and hope that you continue. Your grammar wasn't that bad at all, really. It is far better than some people that I know have.
Of course it will, given time. Just keep practicing, and you'll eventually master it, you'll see! :mrgreen: Do you mind if I send a few corrections your way so that you can practice?
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

You captured Bino’s Madness perfectly... I’ll let you live longer so you can work on the next update~
valerio

Post by valerio »

Edit is good, Karlos. Much more like the Sandwiches, now! :D :D
ChristopherJackal

I'm liking this, looking to be very interesting! :mrgreen: Also now I want plum flavored pie!
Karl

Post by Karl »

ChristopherJackal wrote:I'm liking this, looking to be very interesting! :mrgreen: Also now I want plum flavored pie!
I can ask my grandma to make one for you :) She bakes it every 2 weeks.
I'm a bookworm!
ChristopherJackal

I'd probably like to try and make a pie sometime, I failed at making a grilled cheese once.... I need practice on making edible things!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

When you have a rebellious teen, get pet. When that doesn't work, get more pet.

Loved this update. :mrgreen:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Interesting storyline! Only one grammatical error that kept bothering me as I read this:
Karlos wrote: “Can I sit here?” Fox said, pointing at empty place near Bino.
Also, you kept the reader's attention. Good job!
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Karl

Post by Karl »

dalonewolf25 wrote:Interesting storyline! Only one grammatical error that kept bothering me as I read this:
Karlos wrote: “Can I sit here?” Fox said, pointing at empty place near Bino.
Also, you kept the reader's attention. Good job!

I see now :) Thanks for showing me. I totally forgot that it's way something else.

I'll edit it right away :)
I'm a bookworm!
Karl

Post by Karl »

3. Relations

The day was coming to an end and Bino was going home. He had his arms crossed and a grimace on his face.

He was still thinking about last meeting with Fox.

“I simply can’t believe this!” He was thinking to himself. “Why Fox tags a long with this shorty? I’m not good enough to him as a friend? What sees in him anyways? I’m more smart, generous and open to others than him! And I’m the leader of the club. Everyone would want a leader as a friend!”

As Bino was thinking further, his expression changed into sadness.

“But still… he gave me some support. He even came to see me in the park, despite that he was busy. So why he wants to have some fun with King tomorrow instead with me? He can’t realize that I really need him in those hard times?”

And then, an idea appeared in his mind. Bino smiled.

“I know!” He hit his paw with his fist. “I just have to prove to Fox that I can be way better than King! I’ll have to do it tomorrow before King will visit him. And I’ll take Fox for some ice cream. He loves them. After that, we’ll go to find Peanut and say him some nasty words about liking cats. Fox will enjoy this. Oh yes, he will!” He rubbed his paws as he made an evil grin.

It started to get dark. Bino approached his house.

He knew he can’t come in by front doors. He was aware of punishment he could get from disobeying his dad and for sneaking out.

He ran to the window of his room. It was still opened, just as he left it. He carefully looked inside. It was too dark there, but he wasn’t seeing anyone. The scent inside was normal too. He supported himself on jamb of the window and climbed up.

He was inside. He turned to the window and closed it, as quiet as possible. After he done it, he let out a sigh of relief.

“Hello there Bino.” He heard his dad behind his back. “May I know where have you been?”

- - - - - - - - - -

Night came to Babylon Gardens. All streets were lit by lamps. All people and pets were getting ready for their last meal.

Whole Sternfeld family was sitting in their kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld were eating salad with vegetables and feta cheese, while Matt was satisfying himself with toast.

However, around them was a strange aura. Everyone around the table were sitting quiet. Only crunches and slurps were audible.

Mr. Sternfeld decided to break the silence first.

“You should’ve been nicer to our new neighbors.” He said to his son.

Matt only grumbled something under his nose and continued eating.

“And you should have helped me with our furniture.” Mr. Sternfeld said again.

Silence.

“Can you look on me when I’m talking to you?!” Mr. Sternfeld said louder this time. “Do you know you’re showing me a disrespect with such behavior?”

Matt stopped eating and looked on his father.

“I’m trying to eat.” He said coldly.

“Don’t pretend to be smart.” Mr. Sternfeld replied with sarcasm. “Anyways, I’ve noticed that you were in the house whole day. Why didn’t you come out to see how this neighborhood looks like?”

Matt shrugged.

“I don’t care how it looks. I don’t care about people who live here either.”

“Listen to me young man!” Mr. Sternfeld pointed his finger on Matt. “We’re also doing this for you. I’m sick of watching you at your computer all days and looking how you waste your young live. I was hoping that changing our home will help you somehow. You should go outside often, get some fresh air, communicate with other people. You want to end as a nobody? Entire life lies before you. Don’t waste it!”

“Alright dad.” Matt said with anger. “First of all, I liked the place where we lived. Second, you did not asked for my opinion about removal. And th-.”

“And why we should ask for your opinion?” Matt’s father cut him off. “You live with us. You don’t have any influence on our actions, as long as we educate you. When you will become adult and move out, you will do what you want. But for now, you live in our house and you’re on our education, so you have to do what me and your mother tells you!”

There was an awkward silence in the kitchen. Matt’s face was becoming red. He was now like a volcano, ready to erupt any moment. Only Mrs. Sternfeld was still eating, like nothing was currently happening.

“So I’m some kind of your slave?” Matt finally spoken, gritting his teeth. “I cannot decide on my own life? My life is some kind of cargo?”

“Matt that’s not-“

But Matt didn’t want to listen anymore. He stood up, grabbed his dish and turned opposite to the table.

“I’m going to eat in my room. Enjoy your meal.” He said with a cold tone and started to walk towards exit.

Mr. Sternfeld supported his head on his hands.

“Tell me Matt… is there any way to make you go outside?”

Matt stopped. He turned his head and smiled awkwardly.

“Well… if I had a dog or something, I would have to go with it for a walk. But I don’t have any. So sorry dad, but you’re unlucky.” When he finished his sentence, he left the kitchen.

Mr. Sternfeld let out a loud sigh.

“He’s sometimes so troublesome.” He said to himself aloud. “Sometimes I’m even aware to speak to him.”

Mrs. Sternfeld stopped eating and looked on her husband. She smiled and rubbed his shoulder.

“Oh don’t worry teddy.” She said with a warm voice. “You were doing great.”

“Uh, right…” he replied with even more depressed tone.

“Anyways teddy…” She continued. “… do you remember what (Mrs. Sandwich) said? About getting a pet?”

Mr. Sternfeld looked on his wife.

“I think it’s a good idea to buy a pet for Matt. Maybe this will help him in his problems? I’ve read in “Elle” that animals are the best therapists. We should try.”

“Look on our son.” Mr. Sternfeld said. “We can barely talk with him. He dislikes people. Sits in his room all days. Don’t you think he would make his pet suffer? Besides, I already said it once - no pets in our house.”

“But honey… we really should try.” Mrs. Sternfeld insisted. “Besides, we’re in a pet friendly community. People will think about us as aliens. What’s the use of living in a pet friendly community if we don’t have a pet.”

Mr. Sternfeld gazed on the table. He had a stone face. His wife placed her hand on his own.

“I know what happened in your past. And I know you want to save our sonny some pain. But Matt wanted a dog so much. We shouldn’t forbid him having a pet. Besides, our bigger sonny is not living with us. It will be fine.”

“You think so?” Mr. Sternfeld returned his glance on his wife.

“I’m sure about it.” She smiled to him. “We should give our sonny a chance.”

Mr. Sternfeld smiled lightly. He couldn’t resist his wife’s arguments. And maybe she was right. Maybe they should give a try.

“If you say so…” He said. “Maybe we’ll be able to get a dog here. Since it’s a pet friendly community, I’m sure they have plenty of them. However, in this house are rules. And they must be respected.” He added with a serious tone. But then, he gave Mrs. Sternfeld a kiss on her cheek.

- - - - - - - - - -

The next day…

The weather outside was really nice. People were going to their jobs with good moods, some of them whistling some catchy melodies. All animals were happy as well. A good and warm day means a day of fun and games outside.

But the local dogs were having their meeting in Good Ol’ Dogs Club.

They were talking about their usual things - when they were in the local park last time, is chasing a squirrel a good way of training, what kind of sticks they like to fetch…

They were into their talking so much that they haven’t noticed Bino approaching his pedestal.

Bino looked around, hoping to see Fox. There was Rex, Sasha (with some guy!) and even Joey. But he couldn’t find Fox. He wasn’t here.

“I bet he’s with this shrimp now…” He thought to himself. “Feh, I can’t believe King is more important to him than our gatherings.”

As Bino reached his pedestal, he placed his paws on desk and corrected the microphone.

“The Good Ol’ Dogs Club calls to order!” He tried to say it loud, but he didn’t managed to do so.

The crowd haven’t reacted to his words. Everyone were still talking.

“The Good Ol’ Dogs Club calls to order!” He said louder this time. “I have something important to say!”

Still nothing.

Bino moved his paw across his head. Such thing was happening often during the gathering, but today he wasn’t pleased about it.

“Alright, whatever.” He tried to continue. “I’ll say it anyways and only those who really care about our club will hear it. This meeting was supposed to be very important. I was even going to write a special speech. But today, meeting is cancelled.”

A deadly silence filled the entire room.

“You’re all free. You can go play outside.”

Every dog that was inside was staring at Bino. Like they were just seeing a ghost. One of the dogs haven’t noticed that he was overflowing his mug with a hot tea.

Somebody pinch me.” Someone whispered.

Bino was feeling weird and scared at the same time. All eyes were staring at him. If he could, he would be all drenched in cold sweat.

“We’re free?” Said one of the dogs, weakly.

“Yes.” Bino replied emotionless.

And then, all raised their paws and screamed happily:

“YYYAAAAAAAYY!!!”

All dogs rushed to the exit. There was a lot of perturbation, a cloud of dust was made as all dogs tried to get out thought the exit, trying to get outside.

“GUYS, EASY!!!” Bino yelled as he was watching the Dante scenes that were happening in front of him.

After few minutes, everyone were gone. Only a piece of paper was now landing on a floor.

Bino was looking around the room for few moments. He couldn’t believe that all rushed so fast to go outside. And they were all happy.

He rubbed his eyelids and came down slowly from his pedestal.

“Boy, you really did surprised me.”

Bino knew to who belonged this voice. And he wasn’t happy about it.

“Fido.” He slowly turned around. “I see you found some time to visit us.”

“Well, I’m going to have a night shift today so I have some time.” Fido replied with a smile, having his paws on his hips. “So what happened that you haven’t made a speech today? Only a cataclysm would stop you from doing that.”

Bino actually knew why. After being punished by his soon ex-dad for sneaking out from his room, he wasn’t in the mood to write a speech about drinking water from toilets. But he had no intention to tell his more successful brother the truth.

“Since the weather outside is so nice and it’s warm, I’ve decided to show to the club members how wonderful and generous leader I am and allow them to go out and play games. It would be a pity to waste such a good day inside this dark and deprived from oxygen place.” He explained.

“Oh, I see.” Fido smirked.

“That’s all you wanted to ask?” Bino didn’t want to talk with Fido. He wanted to leave as soon as possible.

“Well, there’s one thing. “ Fido said. “I heard your dad wants to give you away. Is that true?”

Bino stared on Fido.

“Wait, how do you-” But then, he narrowed his eyes. “Max…”

Max made sure to tell some pets in Babylon Gardens about Bino’s situation. The seed he planted haven’t revealed its fruits yet, but it begun to germinate. And since Fido is in K-9 unit, nothing will escape from his sensitive ears. Not to mention that he actually likes to hear gossips about his younger brother, but that’s something else.

“So is it true then?” Fido asked again, this time with a worried tone. “What will happen with you? You don’t know yet to who and where you will go?”

Bino shrugged.

“We’ll live and we’ll see.” He replied.

“And you’re not worried?”

“Maybe just a little bit.” Bino said. “But I’m the chairdog of Good Ol’ Dogs Club. And I have to be strong to give to other dogs an example.”

“It’s good to know that you still feel alright.” Fido gave him a warm smile. “But I’ll give my brother a support hug anyways.”

As Fido wanted to drag his brother into his arms and give him a hug, Bino stretched out his paws in panic and moved away a bit.

“No, no, I don’t need!” He yelled, closing his eyes shut.

“Heh, okay then.” Fido put out his tongue.

“Sorry Fido, but I have to go.” Bino said with a tone of annoyance. He wanted to end this conversation. “Bye.”

Bino turned around and headed towards exit. He was glad that finally-

“One more thing Bino.”

“Rats!” Bino thought to himself and shaked his fist lightly. He turned back to Fido. “What is it?” Bino was annoyed now.

“I had a talk with Fox.” Fido said. “He asked me can King join our club and help him socialize with other dogs. I think it’s a very good idea and I agreed.”

“Huh?!” Bino was in rage now. He clenched his paws and glared on his brother. “I don’t want King here! And why this decision was made without my opinion? You might be a co founder, but I’m the leader here! I don’t want this shrimp here and that’s it! No, no and once again - no!

“Oh, come on Bino.” Fido rolled his eyes. “Dogs should support each other. And no dog should feel lonely in our neighborhood. Besides, we have to get King’s trust after what you’ve done to him on our last X-mas party.” Fido explained, thinking about the catnip bomb invented by Bino.

“Of course, it’s all my fault!” Bino pointed on himself. “I’m the worst and nastiest dog here! Everyone else are pure innocent, I’m the only villain here! Now I see it… you’ve planned this all along, didn’t you? If I’ll be taken away from Babylon Gardens, you’ll take total control over this club! So you’ve already double crossed me and allowed Shorty to join, despite what I have to say about it! You’re such a traitor…”

He quickly turned around and headed towards exit.

“I’ll get my revenge on you Fido!” Bino said with anger, waving his fists in air. “I’ll get my revenge on you, I swear it!”

He opened the door and closed them behind him with a loud whack, making all windows to tremble.

Fido stared at the doors for a moment. Suddenly, something moved in his headfur and a little mouse popped out.

“Wooow!” Spo squeaked with joy. “So much drama! So much passion! Just like in Harlequin Romance where two brothers are fighting each other for one girl they love! Will you make an epic duel to one’s death? Tell me!

“You may have a point Spo. But you’re not helping anyways…” Fido said while rubbing his forehead.

- - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, Bino’s dad was pinning an announcement about dog for sale to a local bulletin board. On a paper was Bino’s photo, some informationabout him and a contact info.

“Jeff!” He heard a voice behind him. “It’s nice to see you!”

Jeff turned around. In front of him was standing Ryan Byron - Fido’s dad.

“Ryan.” Jeff said without any amusement. “You’re still alive. D&D haven’t brainwashed you completely yet?”

“Speaking about D&D…” Ryan begun to say. “… I really miss you on our gatherings. Why you’re not coming anymore?”

“Well, sorry Ryan but… I’m not into this stuff anymore.” Jeff turned back to the bulletin board and continued to pin his announcement. “Besides, I don’t want to be called a dork anymore. And I’m busy with work.”

“Oh I see. I bet it must be hard since you don’t have any time to drop by.”

“Yeah. It’s really hard recently.”

“Hey, what’s that?” Ryan noticed a piece of paper Jeff was pinning to bulletin board and came closer to him.

He looked on a paper… and his eyes grew wide.

“You want to sell Bino??” He asked from shock.

“Yeah…” Jeff answered, almost whispering.

“But why? Jeff are you insane?”

Jeff stopped pinning his announcement. He turned to Ryan and glared at him.

“And what is your problem Ryan?”

“What is mine problem?” Ryan asked with astonishment. “And what about our deal Jeff?”

“We’re not friends anymore Ryan.” Jeff confessed. “And besides…” His gaze went somewhere else. “…if you really want to know, I’ve lost my job again. And I don’t have enough money to feed both my pets. So I had to make a very hard decision. I don’t have a choice Ryan…” He finished with a depressed tone.

“Oh come on Jeff, don’t give me such fairy tales.” Ryan crossed his arms. Jeff glanced at him again. “You also have a cat and you could give it away instead of Bino. But we all know the truth Jeff. Bino haven’t met your requirements. He failed at finishing police academy. Is troublesome and undisciplined. Also he lands in hospital very often. Maybe instead of worrying about food for him, you’re fed up with paying hospital bills?”

Jeff was really angry now. What Ryan said could’ve been true, but it still was disgusting for him.

He always had problems with Bino. His dog never listens to him and despite of punishments he gives him for being a bad dog, nothing helps. Like Bino didn’t care at all.

And Jeff felt jealousy towards Ryan. His dog, Fido, was something else. He was a very known dog in entire neighborhood. Was noble, good hearted, teaches pups reading and writing, is a K-9 unit member and serves community.

Sometimes Jeff felt regret that he had chosen Bino instead of Fido, when him and Ryan were choosing puppies. If he had chosen Fido then, everything would’ve been different. But he choose Bino.

“You think you’re so smart Ryan…” Was all Jeff was able to say. “But Bino belongs to me. And I can do with him whatever I want. If I decide to sell him, I will do so. And you can’t do anything about it.”

“Alright Jeff. You’re right.” Ryan shrugged. “I forgot that you’ve already grown up. It’s your decision. But you disappointed me. We had a deal.”

“That is past Ryan. We’re not friends anymore. Therefore, nothing bounds us together.”

“Whatever.” Ryan turned around and was going to walk away. But while he was going, he threw:

“But if you had a real child, would you sell it to some strangers? Because that’s what you’re doing just now.”

Jeff watched as Ryan was going away. The words he heard touched him deeply and he started to feel guilty.

In some way, Ryan was actually right. Bino is with him since he was a pup. He grew up on his eyes. He have seen his birthdays, dog games, his brawls with Max. he also remembered the moments of joy they shared together in past. He asked himself - what went wrong?

He looked on Bino’s photo that was on announcement. He touched it with his fingers.

His heart was telling him that he still loves him.

But his mind was telling him something else. And this time, mind was the one that was speaking louder.

“I’m sorry Bino.” He said to himself. “But I don’t want you to suffer because of me. I don’t know will I be able to give you enough care in those hard times I’ve found myself into. You have to understand.”

They say dog is man's best friend.

Are they right?

(A/N)

Once again, I would like to thank you for your positive comments. They mean a lot to me.
I wish I could update more often, to not keep you waiting. But for now, it’s impossible to do that. I don’t write fast yet, especially that I use dictionary instead of evil google translate. And I have a lot of work at my school too. I come back home late and I use my free time on studying mainly.
I wanted to tell you one thing. In last chapter, you’ve noticed that when I was reffering to Mrs. Sandwich, I typed “____”. That’s because this character still is not named in the comic, and I don’t want to give her a name. Instead, I’ve decided to let you do it. Just put there your imagination. And if Rick Griffin will name this character, I will make an edit.
Also sometimes I’ll be typing “(character)” to not confuse you.
I wanted to tell you that earlier, but there’s something wrong with long posts. Each time I scroll down, it comes back on top. It’s really annoying. So this time, I’ve typed forum commands in WORD. Hope it will work.

CHANGELOG
27 I 2011: Bino and Max's onwner's name edited. Reason: according to tags, Jeff is the official name.
Last edited by Karl on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

*sniffle* T-T
What a heart-wrenching end, to this chapter update...I hope this story has a happy ending...or becomes a happier beginning.
*has a feeling it will be...but not without more trouble for a certain dog* ;3
Also:
valerio

Post by valerio »

This update was very moving and helping a lot to understand what could've been wrong between Jake and Bino...
Can't wait to see the next installment! :D :D :D
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

So much Hate, Fear and Despair... Talk about intoxication... Mmmmm~<3