Housepets: Matt

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Karl

Re: Housepets: Matt

Post by Karl »

lightwolf21 wrote:*sniffle* T-T
What a heart-wrenching end, to this chapter update...I hope this story has a happy ending...or becomes a happier beginning.
*has a feeling it will be...but not without more trouble for a certain dog* ;3
Well, you will have to keep reading to find out ;)
valerio wrote:This update was very moving and helping a lot to understand what could've been wrong between Jake and Bino...
Can't wait to see the next installment! :D :D :D
Jake and Bino's relationship was not often shown in strips. So I'm trying to show mine interpretation of it.
I can't wait either :D
KizerZin wrote:So much Hate, Fear and Despair... Talk about intoxication... Mmmmm~<3
xo
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very good update. I can't wait to see what happens next!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

OH MAN IT'S GOOD

Matt is more than just the rebelling teenager, he's cold and insensitive. Mr. Sternfield is a terrible father, in my opinion. And everyone else has such depth in character! I love it, Karlos. :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Karl

Post by Karl »

Teh Brawler wrote:OH MAN IT'S GOOD

Matt is more than just the rebelling teenager, he's cold and insensitive. Mr. Sternfield is a terrible father, in my opinion. And everyone else has such depth in character! I love it, Karlos. :D

I'm trying my best to create their personalities well. Also I'm glad that they have influence on your feelings towards them. :)
I'm a bookworm!
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Wow, nice story you got there! A lot of foreshadowing going on there (oh, the numerous amount of possibilities)

You had some grammatical mistakes, along with some usage mistakes, but it didn't affect reading the story much... I'll PM you the mistakes, ok?
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Karl

Post by Karl »

dalonewolf25 wrote:You had some grammatical mistakes, along with some usage mistakes, but it didn't affect reading the story much... I'll PM you the mistakes, ok?

Sure :) Any help from readers is welcomed :)
I'm a bookworm!
Karl

Post by Karl »

4. Love shopping!

A rumor about Bino was spreading really fast across Babylon Gardens. There was no pet that wouldn’t know anything about his current condition.

Everyone was thinking – what will happen with Bino now? Who will be his new owner. Will he leave Babylon Gardens and no one will see him ever again? If so, will Fido gain total control over the Good Ol’ Dogs Club and finally there won’t be pointless and boring speeches?

Although no pet wished to anyone to be sold, somehow almost all pets were glad that Bino is switching families and they were hoping that he will be gone. If Fido would be the one to be sold, everyone would grab their brooms, pots and covers from bins to not allow on that. But no one actually cared about Bino.

Since subject about Bino was number one now, the dog they were speaking about was not able to go outside of his house.

Each time he was walking on the sidewalk, there was no way he wouldn’t noticed two or more pairs of eyes that were staring at him, or even fingers pointed at him. He tried to glare, snarl, or even make nasty and fearsome expressions… but it was ineffective.

And because of that, Bino decided to not show himself. He stayed in his house and was sitting in his room most of the time, only coming out for breakfast and dinner.

Subject number one was Bino. Subject number two… new neighbors.

New neighbors were nothing new in Babylon Gardens. Since this pet friendly community was quite popular, a lot of people were moving here with their pets to find a better life.

But those neighbors were different.

Most weird thing is that they don’t have a pet.

Other thing is that in their house is a guy who haven’t came outside since they moved in.
Although Max and Marvin mentioned him while spreading the gossip, pets were speculating – who is he? And why he is not going outside?

Is he a vampire that cannot come outside because of sun and when night will come, he will suck their owners’ sweet blood?

Or maybe it’s a man-pet hybrid?

A child with polio and is connected to iron lungs?

A telekinetic alien that came from planet MOA-2007-BLG-192-Lb, who is able to keep contact with its species that are even billions light years away, gaining their information only in 1 second?

Pets were having various imaginations about the strange guy that was called “Matt”. It’s hard to tell who it is since no one ever met him.

That was before the K-9 officer Fido Byron met him while going to work…

- - - - - - - - - -

It was a little cold day. After few warm days, it started to rain. As the rain stopped, streets were now wet and a fresh scent of air could’ve been felt.

Fido was heading to work. He had on himself a blue vest of K-9 unit and his sunglasses. He was always enjoying walking to the police station on foot, especially after rain. Not that he didn’t like rides with officer Bill, but an old and uncomfortable bucket cannot give the same joy that is walking. And rare end doesn’t hurt after walking as well.

As Fido was walking on a sidewalk, he saw a figure that was approaching his direction.

It was a teenager, with black hair and blue eyes. He was wearing a black leather jacket and spiked bracelets on his wrists. His footsteps were loud, like he was marching.

Fido was a little aware of him. He didn’t like that guy’s outfit. It kind of reminded him of those guys who were always singing those horrible songs during concerts and were destroying their musical equipment in rage.

Also, his instincts were alerting him that he’s dangerous to others. But he knew that as a police dog, he has to stay calm and greet him nicely.

As the teenager approached him, Fido raised his paw and said with a cheerful voice:

“Hello there citizen! Isn’t the air today really nice?”

Matt passed Fido, not even looking at him.

“Get lost cop.” He said with disgust.

“How rude!” Fido turned around and put his paws on his hips. “Your parents haven’t told you to not talk to policeman like that?”

Matt stopped walking. For few seconds he was standing in one place. Then, he slowly turned around, with his hatred in his eyes.

Fido frowned. Matt approached him slowly. He bent over to him and looked directly into his orange eyes.

“Now listen Mr. Law & Justice.” He begun to say, slowly and coldly. “What I say to people is not your business. My parents also. I do what I want and no one will be telling me what I should do or how I should behave. Especially an animal.”

“Be careful child…” Fido was now in a defense position, ready for unexpectable turn of events. “We had here already someone who was saying similar things like you. So behave.”

Matt straightened and grinned oddly.

“You’re funny dog.” He said. “There where I lived, dogs were forbidden from giving any attention to humans. Even those that were working for police.”

“Here is different.” Fido replied. “You’re in Babylon Gardens. And under ruling of Terryson V. Florida, pets are allowed here to speak freely and walk outside without their leashes and owners on the entire neighborhood territory. Also I have full rights to arrest you if you will cause any trouble that is dangerous or fearful to any inhabitant, whether is it a human or pet.” He finished his last sentence with a smirk on his face.

Matt’s grin faded away. Fido’s reply irritated him.

“Cops… always hiding behind law and paragraphs.” He said with arrogance. “But don’t think that I’m scared of you… dog.”

He then turned away, but he tilted his head to look on Fido once more.

“You better say out of my way. No one messes with me. You understand furcop?”

He did not waited for Fido’s reply. He simply walked away, with his hands in pockets.

Fido was looking on Matt, who was now disappearing from his view.

He was sensing a danger from this boy. He knows now that Matt won’t be an angel like everyone are supposed to be here, but a real trouble to entire neighborhood. Now he had to keep an eye on him.

“Oh just… wow!” Spo popped out from Fido’s green collar. “What a cool jacket he has! Do you think it’s made from animal skin? And if it is from animal skin, you feel hatred towards him when you see him in this jacked, knowing it was made from animal skin?”

“Spo!” Fido looked up and crossed his arms. “I thought I told you to stay at home!”

“But I can’t stay there!” Spo tried to defend himself. “Your dad is playing that thing for dorks again! You want my delicate psychique to get scars that will torment me for rest of my life?!”

Fido sighed.

“Alright Spo. But I won’t take you on my shift this time. I got tackled by Kevin during our operation because you had to say that you’re bored and you want to play. So you will have to sit in my locker until my shift is over.” Fido turned around and begun to walk.

“Okay, okay…” Spo crossed his little arms and put out his tongue. “But this time I want a maasdamer. And it must have a lot of holes. Oh, and a chive would be great. And if you would happen to have a……”

- - - - - - - - - -

What forced Matt to go outside?

His mother asked him to do some shopping.

He would say that he’s too busy and go to his room where no one would bother him. But unfortunately, his dad was about to go outside when he saw him and his mom in the kitchen from the anteroom where he was standing.

And when your father glares at you, you know that saying “no” would be a mistake. So Matt had no choice but to agree on helping his mom.
Matt went inside the mall. He grabbed a basked and headed towards shelves with various groceries.

He did not felt well. For him, air in mall was always strange. It was making him dizzy. Also the radio was playing a stupid music. If not music, there had to be a voice that informed about promotions and other useless stuff.

His memories of his previous visits were also not too pleasant. For ages, he always hated going to the mall with his parents. They always had to be so slow and keep deciding what to take.

“Should we get the right wing from chicken? Or maybe the left one?”

This time, he was glad he was doing shopping alone. He could do this hasty.

He quickly glanced on the list mom made for him. Then, he was ready. Everything was coded in his mind.

And the marathon begun.

Matt was running fast through departments. When he saw what he needed, he stretched out his hand and threw it to the basket. He did not cared did it contain preservatives or was made from genetically modified vegetables. If there was written “Can Of Corn”, it was enough for him.

Since he was already on the run, he also decided to get some chips and bars that had horrible amounts of calories.

Every shopping must have its price.” He thought to himself.

At this speed, Matt was done in two minutes.

He wanted to go outside as fast as possible. He went straight to cashes.

Unfortunately for him, there was a line.

“Oh, just great…” He muttered. “As always, those lazy cashiers don’t bother is someone is in a hurry or not.”

While he was standing, he looked around.

He saw many pets with their owners. Some of them were helping their “parents” in shopping. Others were begging to buy a chocolate for them, trying many methods of persuasion – waving fists in air, crying, pulling clothes or using puppy eyes. No matter how many times they heard “no”, it did not made them stop.

Animals…” Matt was thinking to himself. “I can’t believe they have any rights here. Turning them to some kind of adopted children… what kind of crazy place is this. Thankfully I don’t have a pet. It would be a disaster…

“Good morning sir.”

Matt’s thoughts were interrupted by a cashier that was now going to scan the codes of his products.

He came closer to the white counter. He grabbed a paper bag and opened it. First product have slid to him. He took it and wanted to put it into the bag-

*slide*

Another one came.

*slide*

And there was third…

*slide*

And fourth…

“Hey, not so f-“

*slide*

*slide*

Matt couldn’t keep up with packing the products. All goodies were sliding to him too fast and there was a mountain of them already. He begun to sweat.

Not so fast, Not so fast!!” He kept saying, trying to pack the products as fast as he could.

*slide*

*slide*

*slide*

“That will be 25 dollars and 58 cents.” The cashier said.

Matt was not done yet with packing. He reached to his pocket with his shaking hand and pulled out his wallet.

He looked inside. There were too many coins. He had to count them.

He started to count. For a moment, Matt could’ve sworn that the twangs of his coins were filling the entire mall.

“Hey, hurry up man!” Someone said from the line.

“Not so fast… please not so fast…” Matt said with a trembling voice. “14…15…16 ARRGH!

He had troubles with counting. Math was never his good friend.

Matt thought that counting will take him eternity. Also his shaking hands were not helping either.

But he did it! He had enough amount of coins now. He gave the right sum of money to cashier and returned to packing.

He thought it was over…

*slide*

Hey!” Matt yelled. “I haven’t fin-

*slide*

*slide*

The cashier was not listening. He was already serving another customer and he didn’t bother if Matt packed already his products or not.

Matt thought that he will faint. Everything was too fast! As he grabbed another product, he noticed that something is not right.

“Wait… is this mine? Which is mine??” He was now in panic. He couldn’t recognize if were those his products or someone else’s.

- - - - - - - - - -

Somehow, Matt managed to get out from the mall.

He wasn’t looking well. If someone would see his clothes and hair, he would say that Matt encountered a tornado. He was also sweating a lot.

Cashiers!” He hissed. “Always must make people to speed up!

- - - - - - - - - -

“Here are your groceries.” Matt said to his mother as he put the bag on a table.

“Oh, thank you sweetie.” Mrs. Sternfeld smiled dearly as she looked inside the bag.

Matt’s mission was done. And he was glad. He told himself that he won’t go to the mall for a very long time. He turned around and when he wanted to get out from the kitchen…

“Sweetie?”

Matt turned his head to his mom. He saw her with a very sad expression.

“You don’t love your mommy anymore?” She said with a voice full of sorrow.

Matt hung his head. He came back to his mother and gave her a light kiss on her cheek.

“I love you mom…” Matt wanted to be buried into the ground right now.

“I love you too sonny.” She smiled happily and wanted to pat Matt on his head, but he dodged. He hated when someone dared to touch his hair.

“Can I go now?” He asked with annoyance.

“Sure sweetie. I’ll be going too.”

“What for? Matt asked.

“Your dad called me. He’s done with his office at the city and he wants to see me at the local bulletin board to read some important news. So you’ll be alone for some time.”

Matt was glad. Although his parents won’t be in house for some time, he always enjoyed every minute of their absence. It was making him feel free.

“Alright mom. Have fun then.” He tried to pretend a cheerful smile.

“You too sweetie. Bye!” He watched her going to the anteroom. Then, he heard her going outside, closing the frontal doors behind her.

He looked on the bag that was standing on the table.

“No way I’ll touch this.” He said with disgust. He went to the living room where he flopped on the sofa and turned TV on.

(A/N)

Remember people, don’t offend cashiers during shopping!

I must tell you one thing. I know I said that I’ll be using a normal dictionary. But this time I had to use Google Translate.
But wait, let me explain!
I’m in my house in mountains now and I forgot to take my dictionary with me. So I had no choice. I could also not update, but you wouldn’t forgive me that :)
I still don’t know why, but… when I wrote this, I have a feeling that I actually haven’t expressed what I had on my mind. But I guess it’s normal. Especially that I weren’t writing for a long time. So I have to keep practicing.
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

The only time I felt such...dark feelings for someone, it was for Joel and PETA fat guy. Man, this child is so ROTTEN that eve turning him into a corgi cub wouldn't work! :twisted:
Nice job, Karlos, really!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

:lol: HA HA HAAaaaa!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

valerio wrote:The only time I felt such...dark feelings for someone, it was for Joel and PETA fat guy. Man, this child is so ROTTEN that eve turning him into a corgi cub wouldn't work! :twisted:
Really? I feel sorry for the poor kid. Something is wrong with him. It's almost like he has a fear of crowds or of going outside. Not to mention what happened to him as a kid.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

copper wrote:
valerio wrote:The only time I felt such...dark feelings for someone, it was for Joel and PETA fat guy. Man, this child is so ROTTEN that eve turning him into a corgi cub wouldn't work! :twisted:
Really? I feel sorry for the poor kid. Something is wrong with him. It's almost like he has a fear of crowds or of going outside. Not to mention what happened to him as a kid.
Quite possibly. Traumas will do that...but all the same, venting it on someone else (especially animals), in my eyes, doesn't make it excusable. That kid acts like he's ready to fit the stereotype of a future criminal.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I never condoned his actions, and I agree that projecting childhood trauma onto pets is wrong. I merely stated that I felt sorry for the kid. He really needs to deal with these issues.

Awesome update, by the way. This is getting better with each chapter.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

copper wrote:I never condoned his actions, and I agree that projecting childhood trauma onto pets is wrong. I merely stated that I felt sorry for the kid. He really needs to deal with these issues.

Awesome update, by the way. This is getting better with each chapter.
Ditto.
I don't know why, but the idea of Bino + Matt either makes me laugh a lot or creeps me out to no end...It's gonna be veeeery interesting to read all the same :mrgreen:
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Karlos wrote:Terryson v. Florida
*scratches back of head*
Has it been decided that the neighborhood's in Florida?

Also, there are very few errors this time; you're improving drastically, especially without the use of a dictionary! Also, I feel sorry for the kid; all he wanted was to get out of there quick... E|:(
valerio

Post by valerio »

dalonewolf25 wrote:
*scratches back of head*

Also, there are very few errors this time; you're improving drastically, especially without the use of a dictionary! Also, I feel sorry for the kid; all he wanted was to get out of there quick... E|:(
No. Terryson Vs. Florida sets a precedent that can be applied to other states, if I remember well.
Karl

Post by Karl »

dalonewolf25 wrote:
*scratches back of head*
Actually, I've used this because of this strip, panel 2. But I can edit it if it's confusing.
And since in the comic is not said where Babylon Gardens are, here in this fanfic is the same.
Then I'm glad :) This motivates me to keep writing.
I'm a bookworm!
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Ah, ok, thanks for the info, and glad to help you out, Karlos!

*I may PM you later the mistakes, but right now i'm busy....*
Karl

Post by Karl »

5. Mind game

As Mrs. Sternfeld was approaching the local bulletin board, she saw her husband that was waving to her.

“Hello teddy.” She kissed him and rubbed his arms. “Did it go well?”

“Well, seems we won’t lack on food here.” He smiled and embraced her. “There’s a need for plumbers so my business should go well here.”

“Then I’m happy.” She stroked his head. “I’ll start looking for a job soon as well. So why you wanted to meet me here honey?” She asked.

“Well, we need to know basic informations since we’re new here.” He let go of his wife and turned to bulletin board. “Also I’m hoping to find some info about dog sale.”

“That’s a very good idea teddy.” She smiled happily and looked on the board as well. “Maybe there’s a cooking club for housewives. I would love to share my cooking recipes with others.”

As they were looking on the local bulletin board, they saw many infos attached to desk. Every important information was there - gas, electricity, water, social gathering for pets and their owners-

“I wonder what’s that for?” Mr. Sternfeld pointed his finger at the leaf.

They read the text:

Do you have a pet and you want to meet with other happy owners?
This gathering is just for you! Don’t just sit at home. Make new friends! And your pets will be happy too.
Our program: sharing your thoughts about pets with others, pet counseling, entertaining games and helping people to socialize.
So don’t wait any longer. We meet every Saturday at local coffee shop. Your pets* are also welcomed.

And under the text was written with a small font:

*If you don’t have a pet and you live in Babylon Gardens, it means you’re a local sucker. Don’t show yourself up on the street if you don’t want to be ridiculed by others. Better lock yourself at home and don’t come out.

Mr. Sternfeld’s face was pale. He looked on his wife.

“We better get a dog. Fast.

Mrs. Sternfeld nodded, her face was pale too.

They continued looking.

“Oh look teddy.” Mrs. Sternfeld pointed her finger at another info. “Seems that someone is wanted here.”

Mr. Sternfeld looked on the info.

It was an arrest warrant. On a paper was a photo of a young man. He had a brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a green shirt and had a yellow tie attached to his collar. He was frowning, like he was ready to punch someone.

Mr. Sternfeld read the sign:

WANTED

5000$ reward.

Joel Zechariah Robinson. Escaped from prison on the day of his trial. PETA member. Judged for dognapping. Dangerous for pets and humans. Is mentally ill. Also enjoys listening to songs performed by Modern Talking. Probably is somewhere around Babylon Gardens. Avoid any contact and call police immediately when seen.

“Eww!” Mr. Sternfeld looked with disgust on text. “Who actually likes to listen to Modern Talking?”

Mrs. Sternfeld giggled.

“Oh, but he looks cute.” She commented. “I’m sure he’s one of those that can’t be understood by entire world. Just look into his eyes. I can see there despair and confusion.”

Mr. Sternfeld wanted to say something, but suddenly something started to sing in his mind.

Cheri, cheri lady
Going though a motion
Love is where you find it
Listen to your heart…
Cheri, cher-

STOP!” Mr. Sternfeld yelled in his mind and shook his head. “Honey, we’re looking for a dog here. Not for a psychotic PETA guy.” He said with a strong tone, trying to set his mind on other tracks.

“You’re right honey.” She smiled cheerfully. “Let’s keep looking.”

They looked again on the board.

There were many other infos beside those informing about taxes. There was about a student who was willing to teach play on guitar, an advertise of some theme park that was recently built near Babylon Gardens, a leaflet from K-9 unit, willing to teach young puppies to read and write…

“But nothing about dogs…” Mr. Sternfeld sighed. “I don’t get it. This place is supposed to be a pet friendly community. And there’s no one who sells dogs and cats around here? I don’t want to be a local sucker here!” He said, thinking about the ad of pet lovers.

Mrs. Sternfeld looked on her husband with a worried expression. She really wanted to help him somehow. But she didn’t know how…

She kept looking more intensively.

And…

“I think I found something.” She said with a cheerful voice.

Mr. Sternfeld looked.

And there it was.

Right in the corner.

A piece of white paper that was a little bent. Mr. Sternfeld was not surprised that he couldn’t see it earlier. It was in a far corner of the board and was covered by other leafs and ads.

He removed the papers that were covering what was under them.

On a paper was a photo of a light brown dog with darker, dangling ears and green eyes. He had a green collar with a diamond shaped tag. In a center of this tag was capital B.

He had an evil grin on his face, like he was planning something nasty.

“Aww what a cutie!” Mrs. Sternfeld smiled widely and placed her clasped hands near her right cheek. “If he was right here, I would just snuggle him to death!”.

“Uh, you sure?” Mr. Sternfeld asked, looking on the dog’s grin. “He looks kinda-“

Cheri, cheri lady!
Like there’s no tomorrow!
Take my hea-

STOP IT!!! Mr. Sternfeld screamed once again inside of his head and shook his head violently, making his wife to peel off her gaze from the dog’s photo.

“Honey, is everything alright?” She put her hand on his shoulder.

“Y-yeh…” Mr. Sternfeld was rubbing his forehead. Then he returned his glance on the notice. “So his name is Bino. Replace B with D and you will have Dino.” He giggled softly under his nose. Then he looked on his wife with uncertain expression. “I’m not sure how Matt will react on him. I have a feeling that we’re actually adding oil to fire.”

“Oh, I’m sure teddy that our sonny will love him.” She rubbed his cheek. “Matty always wanted a dog. Now we will fulfill his wish.”

Mr. Sternfeld returned his gaze on the notice. He read the text:

A young dog looking for a loving and caring family that will give him a lot of warmth and sensitivity. Price is…

“A little high…” Mr. Sternfeld muttered. “That dog is not even a special breed. Why would any-“

I get up - I get down
All my world turns around!
Who is right? Who is wrong?
I don’t know…

Mr. Sternfeld hid his face in his hands.

“Read me the number.” He said as he pulled out his mobile phone from his pocket.

Mrs. Sternfeld squealed from happiness and dictated her husband the number that was written on the notice. There were few sounds of clicks and Mr. Sternfeld have putted his mobile to his ear.

Someone picked up.

“Hello? Hi. I’ve just saw your notice on the local bulletin board…”

- - - - - - - - - -

Max was laying on his dad’s green armchair. But he wasn’t sleeping.

He was thinking about Bino. How life without him will look? Better? Or worse?

Some people would say that Max actually would be happy if Bino would move out from their house. Living with a cat hater under one roof must be horrible. No wonder why Max let out a gossip about Bino’s current situation.

But Max never had any problems with Bino. He couldn’t remember any serious argument or a brawl. He actually enjoyed to mock him just to see how would he react. Or ask him from curiosity about his dog things.

Max yawned. He stretched his feline body and stood up. To his mind came an idea to go to Bino’s room and have a little talk with him.

He approached the doors that led to Bino’s room. He grabbed the handle.

To his mind came a scene of what he will see there. All room will be dark and there will barely be any light. On a bed will be some pile of blankets that will tremble and sounds of whimpering will be coming out from it.

Max gulped. He knew that unexpected horrors are waiting there for him. He was ready to face them.

He pushed the handle and have opened the doors.

He looked inside.

And he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Bino was laying in his basket and was playing some game on PSP!

Max slammed the door, causing Bino to jump in his place.

Bino looked on Max. He had his paws on his hips and was glaring at him.

“I simply can’t believe this!” Max said with angry tone. “You’re supposed to be emo and be wrapped in blankets! And what do I see? Bino is playing games and pretends that nothing happens!”

Bino snorted.

“And what do you think I am huh?” He replied. “Some kind of crybaby that will whine whole day on his fate? I’m a dog Max. And a real dog is strong, despite what-“

*sound of lost game*

“Argh!” Bino returned his glance on his PSP. “I died! Thanks a lot Max!”

Max blinked few times. He quickly forgot for what he came here.

“What are you playing?” Max’s eyes were full of curiosity.

“Not your business.” Bino answered shortly as he was pressing the buttons.

Max approached Bino’s bed and sat near him.

“Hey, can I see it?” He reached his paw for PSP.

“What, no!” Bino pushed Max’s paw away.

“Pfff! You’re no fun…” Max crossed his arms. “You would share with your brother. Not having all the fun for yourself.”

Bino have putted out his tongue and pointed it at Max.

“It’s mine.” He said to Max. “And there’s no way I will ever share it with you. I saved a lot of money to purchase it and I won’t allow you to damage it.”

“Saved?” Max asked with annoyance. “We barely get an allowance from dad. And even so, we get only two dollars a week.”

Bino knew why Max was so suspicious. A toilet was supposed to be renovated in Good Ol’ Dogs Club, so club members won’t be thirsty anymore. But Bino snatched some of the gathered money. That’s why whip-round in club still lasts.

Bino had to change the subject fast.

“Alright Max. May I know what are you doing here?” He asked.

“Oh, yeah…” Max scratched back of his head. “Well, I was thinking how it will look around here without you. And I came because I want to tell you something.”

Bino turned off his PSP and putted it away. He supported himself on his elbows.

“Well, what is it?” Bino was curious.

Max took a deep breath.

“You see, it’s that-“

The doors suddenly opened and Jeff showed himself. He looked on Bino.

“Bino, have you packed your stuff?” He asked his dog.

Bino sank in his bed. His false hope was that his dad won’t actually sell him. So he haven’t feel the need for packing anything.

“Well, never mind.” Jeff said, predicting that Bino haven’t done that. “Tomorrow you will stand up earlier and pack what you need. Your new owners will come for you later.”

“My… new owners?” Bino said with a weak voice. Max’s eyes were wide opened as he was glancing at his dad.

“Yes. They live nearby. So the bright side is that you’ll stay in our neighborhood.”

He looked then on both of his pets.

“Well boys, I won’t be disturbing you. Have fun.” Jeff disappeared and closed the doors.

Silence was now filling Bino’s room.

Max looked on Bino who was now looking on ceiling with sad eyes. He put his paw on his shoulder.

“Bino, I’m so s-“

Bino pushed Max’s paw away with force and rolled on his side, turning his back to Max.

“Leave me alone…” Bino covered his head with a pillow.

“But I-“

Get out!

Max was looking on Bino for few moments. Then he slowly stood up and walked towards exit. He silently opened the doors and was going to leave Bino’s room. He glanced on Bino’s bed and folded his ears back. He went out and carefully closed the doors behind him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mr. Sternfeld was holding his wife in his arms as they were walking home. When they were near their house, they saw someone near their mailbox.

“It’s a policeman.” Mrs. Sternfeld said as she recognized the blue uniform.

Mr. Sternfeld made a worried expression.

“I just hope Matt haven’t gotten himself into new troubles.”

As they approach the policeman, their eyes grew wide.

It was not just a man. It was a huge guy. He had big muscles, powerful enough to break anyone in half. He was wearing sunglasses and a white helmet.

“Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld?” The policeman asked. His voice echoed in the pair’s heads.

“Yes. Pleased to meet you officer…” Mr. Sternfeld replied with a weak voice. Compared to him, the policeman was a Goliath and he was just a mere rodent.

“I am officer Bill.” The policeman stretched out his arm for a handshake. “I would like to welcome you in Babylon Gardens. If you’ll have any troubles or you will spot anyone suspicious, feel free to talk with me.”

Mr. Sternfeld accepted the handshake.

As officer Bill squeezed his hand, Mr. Sternfeld almost yelped. He though that officer Bill will crush it. He wanted to kneel.

To his relieve, officer Bill let go of his hand. Mr. Sternfeld wanted to massage it, but he was too afraid to not offend the policeman.

Mrs. Sternfeld was looking on officer Bill with amazement.

“Oh officer!” She said with joy. “You have such a manly chin!”

Mr. Sternfeld stared at his wife. Officer Bill hung his head and blushed hard.

“Darling…” mr. Sternfeld whispered to his wife.

“T-thank you…” Was all what could officer say. He then looked on pair with a serious expression. “Anyways, I’m here because of your son, Matthew.”

Mr. Sternfeld grimaced.

“Great…”

“I was checking our database and I found some very interesting info about your son.” Officer Bill took out a white paper from his pocket. He opened it and begun to read. “Vandalism, pickpocketing, robbery, blackmail, protection rackets, brawls and violence against teachers in school.” He folded the paper and hid it back to his pocket. “Mr. Sternfeld, you must understand that as long as I’m in charge of this neighborhood, no one will cause any mess here. I have a deep hope that I won’t have to come here because your son had commited any of those crimes. Do we understand each other?

Mr. Sternfeld nodded like a robot.

“I hope your son will behave properly.”

Mr. Sternfeld gulped.

“Well, he…”

Cheri, Cheri lady
Going through a motion
Love is wh-

“He won’t cause any trouble.” Mr. Sternfeld accented his sentence strongly.”

“I hope so. I’m watching you…” officer Bill said with a cold tone, causing Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld to shiver. “Well, that will be all from me. Have a nice day.” When he said that, he turned around and walked away.

Mr. Sternfeld was looking on officer Bill for a moment. He imagined him storming into his house, grabbing his son and crushing his ribs because he had done something bad.

“Teddy, how about I make pancakes with strawberry sauce today?” Mrs. Sternfeld asked with a cheerful voice, bringing back her husband from his thoughts.

“Oh yeah. That would be great.” Mr. Sternfeld calmed down. He kissed his wife on her forehead and placed his arm around her shoulders. They both walked to their porch.

Cheri, Cheri lady
Going through-

*slap*

(A/N)

First thing, I would like to apologize for posting this update so late. But I don’t have a lot of time for anything. It’s like time was going too fast. I’m really sorry. I’m doing my best to keep with deadline. But it’s so hard. Especially that I lack on discipline in those matters.
Second, I’m not sure if I’m focusing on dialogues too much instead of more on narration. But It’s just a thought.
Don’t be afraid to share your opinions with me. I don’t bite : D

CHANGELOG
27 I 2011: Bino and Max's onwner's name edited. Reason: according to tags, Jeff is the official name.
18 VI 2011: The empty space that was after Joel's name has been filled since his full name was revealed in strip What's In A Name. I know I was supposed to do this way earlier, but I kept forgetting about it. I'm sorry =(
Last edited by Karl on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Uh, silence would fill a room.

Great update, really. It was a little long for me. Maybe if you broke it up?

As for update schedules? They don't really matter, in my opinion. Make it a good update, not a fast one.
My characters
Karl

Post by Karl »

copper wrote:Uh, silence would fill a room.
You're right. I'll correct it :)
copper wrote:Great update, really. It was a little long for me. Maybe if you broke it up?
I'm planning to make chapters long. In future I will add something that I will call "fillers". But if other will also think that updates are too long, I will think on that.
copper wrote:As for update schedules? They don't really matter, in my opinion. Make it a good update, not a fast one.
The only problem is that I'm very busy during weekends weeks. And I want to keep with deadline because I lack on discipline. If I'll be updating without any schedule, I might end up being lazy and I could quit writing.
Last edited by Karl on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bookworm!
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Wow, nice story.
Also, you didn't have any errors, and if you did, it was subject-verb agreement, but which didn't interrupt the flow of the story. Good job!

why is it that I found an invisible foreshadowing?
valerio

Post by valerio »

This update was so AWESOME on so many levels!
And yay for Bill! Imagine his reaction as Fido reports the boy's attitude, earlier... heh.
And Mr. Sternfield is soooo right. Oil to the fire, so much oil... I wonder if his wife is just Sasha-yish or desperately seeking for something nice about everyrthing not to crack up, given the family she lives with...hmm...
Cheri Cheri Lady...
Karl

Post by Karl »

valerio wrote:I wonder if his wife is just Sasha-yish or desperately seeking for something nice about everyrthing not to crack up, given the family she lives with...hmm...
Well, let's say Mrs. Sternfeld is not behaving as she should in her age ;)
I'm a bookworm!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Karlos wrote:
valerio wrote:I wonder if his wife is just Sasha-yish or desperately seeking for something nice about everyrthing not to crack up, given the family she lives with...hmm...
*Slap*
Karl

Post by Karl »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Karlos wrote:
*Slap*

I mean.. she's a very loving and caring wife and mother and she will do anything to make everyone happy. Eheheh *smiles nervously*
I'm a bookworm!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Karlos wrote:I mean.. she's a very loving and caring wife and mother and she will do anything to make everyone happy. Eheheh *smiles nervously*
Ah, I love this story...keep up the good work, Karlos!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sorry guys, but I won't be able to update today : /

I'm currently in my house in mountains and I'm celebrating Christmas with my entire family. So I'm busy and someone must help with eating all of those cakes that are on the table ;) And we will go for skiing too. So you have to forgive me.

Therefore, next update will be in Monday.

Also Dalonewolf25 told me that proper saying is "Dog is man's best friend" instead of "Dog is best friend of human". So I've corrected it. Thanks mate :) .

Once again, I would like to wish you all Merry Christmas and I hope all of your dreams will come true.

Karlos
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

And a Merry christmas to you, too, Karlos! Enjoy your vacations, we'll enjoy your update in due time :D
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Pfffffffff...... Like anyone expected you to update on Christmas! :lol:

Just have fun and enjoy the holidays!

The next update will be all the better for the extra time you have now.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

copper wrote:Pfffffffff...... Like anyone expected you to update on Christmas! :lol:

Just have fun and enjoy the holidays!

The next update will be all the better for the extra time you have now.
well, I DID update, nyah nyah nyah :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

6. Everyone loves surprises

Matt was sitting in the kitchen and was eating breakfast. He would’ve done that earlier if he weren’t sleeping till 11:00 am.

As Matt was eating his toasts buttered with peach flavored jelly, he saw his parents dressing in anteroom.

“And where are you going?” He said after he swallowed the food he was chewing.

Mr. Sternfeld smiled lightly as he turned his face to Matt.

“Me and your mother are going for some walk.” He said. “We have a nice weather today and it’s a good opportunity to look around the neighborhood. So be polite while we’re gone. And don’t sit in front of your computer all the time.”

Mrs. Sternfeld smiled to her son as she put her heels on her feet.

“Enjoying your breakfast honey? Does it taste good?” She asked Matt.

Matt frowned. He hated when someone was asking him such questions.

“I wouldn’t eat it if I weren’t enjoying it, right mom?” He replied with annoyance.

“Then I’m glad sweetie.” Mrs. Sternfeld said with a cheerful tone, annoying Matt even more.

Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld were dressed and ready to head out.

“Okay Matt, we’re going outside.” Mr. Sternfeld said as he turned towards frontal doors. “We will come back in 1-2 hours.”

And when Mr. Sternfeld placed his hand on the knob…

“Hold on!”

Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld turned towards kitchen once more. They saw their son giving them a very penetrative gaze, like a detective who interrogates a suspect and is ready to break all laws to get the true answer.

“You’re planning something don’t you?” Matt said with a cold tone, increasing the tension that was currently between him and his parents.

Drops of sweat started to appear on Mr. Sternfeld’s forehead.

“What do you mean Matt?” Mr. Sternfeld asked his son, trying to hide his nervousness.

“I can see it in your eyes.” Matt said, not blinking even once. “You always have the same look in your eyes when you plan something. Like the last time when you said you’re going to just do some small shopping and you returned with a trumpet that was supposed to be a gift for me and a motivation to start liking classical music.”

Matt was right. Until he and his family moved into Babylon Gardens, his father bought him a trumpet, having a false hope that his son will forget about the electric guitar, that in his opinion was making too much noise and was driving anyone sane to madness. But that plan backfired. First thing that Matt have done was opening a window and throwing the trumpet out.

Mr. Sternfeld started to play with his fingers. The tension was growing.

“Well, uh… you see…”

“Don’t worry sweetie. We’re just going for a walk.” Mr. Sternfeld felt a relief as his wife helped him.

Matt pointed his finger at them.

“Don’t even dare to have any stupid ideas.”

“Alright, we’ll be going. Take care Matt!” Mr. Sternfeld wiped the sweat off his forehead. Then he turned the knob and opened doors.

Mr. Sternfeld went outside, his wife was behind him. Before she closed the door, she said:

“Bye honey! I love you!”

When she was closing the door, a grumble could’ve been heard from inside.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld were holding their hands as they were walking on the sidewalk. However, none of them were talking.

The weather was really nice. After the rainy days, it was good to see the sun rays and birds that were flying from one tree to another, making dances and acrobatics in air.

Mr. Sternfeld was the first one who broke the silence.

“Darling?”

Mrs. Sternfeld have looked on her husband. He was still looking straight.

“You know… I’m still thinking about it.”

Mrs. Sternfeld blinked few times.

“You mean the trumpet that we bought for our sonny and when he threw it outside the window it landed on someone’s head, putting the poor man into a coma for two weeks?”

Mr. Sternfeld shook his head.

“Well, not exactly. I’m still thinking… are we making a right choice with purchasing a dog. I’m not sure will Matt handle the responsibility. He’s not even responsible for himself. I’m worried Alice. I’m worried that instead of giving him happiness, Matt will cause him pain and suffering.”

Mrs. Sternfeld stroked his head and gave him a cheerful smile.

“Honey, we’ve already discussed that. We have to give it a try. Our sonny is lonely all the time. He needs a friend. And dog is man’s best friend. Besides, since we live here now, we need a pet. Right honey?”

To Mr. Sternfeld’s mind returned a thought about the ad of “Happy Owners” that was on the local bulletin board.

Many people were outside. But when Mr. Sternfeld was looking on them, they were all avoiding eye contact. Some of them were even pointing their fingers at him and his wife, whispering something. When he looked into one of the windows of the house they were crossing by, he saw someone there. When the person in the window noticed that Mr. Sternfeld is looking at him, he quickly covered it with a venetian blind.

On their way was a pair of young lovers with their pets. They were smiling, giggling and chattering about something. When they were passing Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld, they gave them a very weird stare.

Look it’s those weirdos…” The young man whispered to his lover.

Don’t look at them…” She whispered back. They both grabbed their pets’ arms and started to walk faster, trying to get away from Sternfelds as fast as possible.

Mr. Sternfeld felt like he just swallowed some pack of ice. He didn’t want to be a “local sucker”.

“You’re right, let’s buy a dog.” He said as he squeezed his wife’s hand tighter.

- - - - - - - - - -

“I think we’re here.” Mr. Sternfeld said as he looked on the house.

Mrs. Sternfeld looked on the paper that she was holding in her hands.

“Yes honey, this is the place.” She replied.

Mr. Sternfeld corrected his shirt a bit and moved with his wife towards the doors. When they were in front of them, Mr. Sternfeld knocked several times.

“Dad, someone’s at the door!” They heard a voice from the other side.

Then they heard footsteps, getting louder as someone was approaching to open doors. When the footsteps stopped, there was a sound of locks being open and in front of Sternfelds was standing a young man with a short beard. He looked like he just woken up. Mr. Sternfeld smiled and raised his hand in air for greeting.

“Hello there. I’m-“

*BAM*

Mr. Sternfeld felt a pain as he received an elbow strike. He have fallen on the ground, holding his cheek.

TEDDY!” Mrs. Sternfeld squeaked as she kneeled down to her husband.

Behind the young man was standing a black cat who was observing the entire situation.

“Wow dad! You’re improving!” Max commented with a joyful smile.

“Honey, are you alright?” Mrs. Sternfeld held her husband’s head, who was still holding his cheek.

Mr. Sternfeld blinked several times as he was looking on his wife. Then, his glance went to the person who assaulted him.

“Wha… what… was that for?” He said weakly, barely moving his jaw.

The young man was massaging his elbow. He didn’t seem to be worried about what happened. His eyes were half lidded.

“Sorry sir. I thought it was… someone else.” Jeff replied.

Mr. Sternfeld tried to stand up. His wife helped him. He was moving his jaw all the time, making sure that he will be able to eat.

“Boy, you sure know how to greet people…” Mr. Sternfeld commented, still rubbing his cheek.

“May I know what do you want sir?” Jeff said sharply, with a tone like ‘stop bothering me and go away’.

Mr. Sternfeld have stopped rubbing his cheek. There was a red mark from a hit he received.

“Me and my wife… called you.” He said, frowning. “We came for a dog.”

Jeff’s expression changed as he heard what Mr. Sternfeld have said. He opened his eyes like he just woke up and blinked several times.

“Oh right. You must be Mr. Stan Sternfeld.” Jeff said, this time he was speaking faster. “Bino is ready to go. Max?” Jeff turned his face to his cat who was still standing behind his leg. “Go to Bino and tell him that his new owners are here. And don’t try to get bribed.”

Max nodded and went inside.

- - - - - - - - - -

Max knocked to Bino’s doors.

“Bino. It’s time.” Max said before entering Bino’s room.

He found Bino standing towards the window, with his sleeping basket for pets in his hands. Max came closer to him and placed his hand on his shoulder.

“It’s time to go.” Max repeated.

Bino shrugged Max’s hand off, like it was burning.

“You’re happy Max?” Bino said with an emotionless tone. “You’re happy huh? Dad still loves you. He loves you more than me. That’s why he wants to get rid of me. Now you will live without me. Only you and him. And both of you will be happy.”

Max scratched his head, trying to think what to say.

“Well, not exactly.” He said with an unsure voice. “I won’t be able to put pranks on dad as I used on you. Also, you will take your stereo with you.”

Bino snarled.

“Well, I won’t be missing you too Max.” Bino said with a more angry tone this time. “Living with a cat is a disgrace for dog. You have no idea how hard it is to live in a place that stinks of cat fur.”

Bino turned around, not even looking on Max. He proceeded to get out from the room with his head raised in pride.

“Enjoy your days with your lovely dad Max! Enjoy them as long as you can because I will not come back here, even if you were going to grab my legs and beg me with tears in your eyes to come back. Such betrayal will not be forgiven!”

When Bino finished his last sentence, he exited the room, leaving Max standing there with a confused expression on his face.

“Err, good luck Bino.” He said while scratching his ear and walking towards exit. “May Santa have mercy on your soul.”

- - - - - - - - - -

“Well, here he is.”

Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld were looking on Bino who was now standing in front of his ex-dad. He was looking on both of the humans with suspicion.

“D’awwww!” Mrs. Sternfeld placed her hands on her cheeks. “He’s such a cutie! I already want to hug him! He has such a funny tail!”

Mr. Sternfeld kneeled down to face Bino who wrinkled his skin near his nose.

“Hey there little guy.” Mr. Sternfeld said with a calm voice. “What’s your name?”

Bino frowned.

“What do you mean by what’s my name?” He replied with annoyance. “It was written on the ad that my traitorous dad had pinned on the local bulletin board! You can’t read or what?”

Mr. Sternfeld was shocked. His eyes were wide open. He would never expect such a reply from a dog.

“Hey mister.” Jeff’s voice caught his attention. “Don’t wanna bug in but… money.” He stretched out his open hand.

Mr. Sternfeld rose up from his knees. He reached for his wallet and pulled out the green banknotes. He placed them on Jeff’s hand.

Jeff checked did he get the right amount. After he had done it, he nodded in agreement and putted the earned money into his pocked. Then, he reached into another pocket and pulled out some documents.

“The Kennel Club book and health book.” He said shortly.

“I didn’t know he is a purebred dog.” Mr. Sternfeld commented as he was looking on the Kennel Club book.

Jeff only shrugged.

Then, Mr. Sternfeld opened Bino’s health book.

“Wow, a lot of signatures here.” He said while skipping pages. “Good to know he’s insured.”

“That’s true. It’s very helpful…” Jeff replied sarcastically. If it weren’t for insurance, Jeff would become a bankrupt because of Bino’s often visits in hospital.

After Mr. Sternfeld checked Bino’s documents, he putted them into his pocket.

“Alright then, we’re settled.” He stretched his hand out to make a handshake with Jeff. “I will come back for his stuff tomorrow. Goodbye Mr. Jake.”

Jeff glanced on Mr. Sternfeld’s hand with disgust. Then, he made a handshake with him.

“Sure Mr. Sternfeld. But please do it all tomorrow, I need his room.”

Then Mr. Sternfeld looked down on Bino, who if was able to, would let out thunderbolts from his eyes.

“Okay little fellow. Let’s head home.” He smiled to him and turned around. He grabbed his wife by her side and they slowly begun to walk away.

Bino faced his ex-dad and gave him a nasty look.

“You will regret this.” He said with a voice full of poisonous venom. Then he rolled out his tongue and turned around.

Max leaned from his dad’s leg and was observing Bino, who was slowly going away with his basket in his hands.

“Take care Bino!” He waved his hand for goodbye. “I will miss you! Honest!”

Bino was feeling anger at this moment. He couldn’t believe in what was happening. He is forced to leave his home - the place where was always food, bed, television and his squeaky toys. Now, he is going to live with some people that he doesn’t know and in a different place.

But then, his anger was slowly being replaced by sadness. He left like his body was empty inside and his eyes started to tickle.

To Max’s surprise, Bino suddenly stopped. He was standing for few seconds. Then, he let go of his basket, allowing it to hit the ground. He turned around rapidly and was running towards him and Jeff, with his arms in the air and with glassy eyes.

Jeff closed the doors.

*thud*

“I know it’s hard, but… it’s better to not look on this.” Jeff said, like he was able to read Max’s mind. Then he turned around and walked in the direction of his armchair.

Max only sighed. He looked on the frontal doors once more and went to his room.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bino fell slowly on his knees, his hands sliding down the doors. He rested his forehead on the wooden material.

Don’t leave me dad…” He whispered and sobbed silently.

“Sweetie?”

Bino turned his head in the direction of the voice. Behind him was Mrs. Sternfeld who was squatting and smiling warmly. She stretched out her hand to pet him.

“Don’t worry sweetie. Everything will be alright.” She placed her hand on his head and begun to pet him. “You’re a very cute doggy. You will get love and care and I will be cuddling you each time you will want.”

Mrs. Sternfeld moved her fingers behind Bino’s ear and begun to scratch him.

Bino didn’t know why but he was feeling an incredible sensation as Mrs. Sternfeld was scratching him behind his ear. His head automatically moved on other side, exposing the magical place. He felt that he was blushing and was hoping that those waves of pleasure that were currently striking him will never end.

But suddenly, Bino snapped out from those pleasures and jumped like from a tub filled with hot water. He shielded himself with his hands like he was protecting himself against a broomstick.

Nononono!” Bino was shouting. “I won’t let you control my mind! You’re just pretending to be friendly! I know you will make me your slave! You will throw me into the basement and you will brainwash me there! This is all conspiracy that you planned along with my dad and Fido who wants my position! But you will not deceive me you tricky humans!

Mr. Sternfeld came closer.

“I’m afraid that your charming methods won’t work hon.” He said ironically. “But I have something that will convince him to follow us. It always works.”

Bino glanced on Mr. Sternfeld who was pulling out something from his pocket. Then he saw a bone-shaped dog biscuit in the man’s hand. A very tasty scent striked his nose.

“Look what I have for you.” Mr. Sternfeld waved the dog biscut in front of Bino’s eyes, like he was trying to hypnotize him. “Tastes like beef.”

Bino slowly stood up. He was constantly sniffing, his nose demanding to get closer to the biscuit. As Bino was approaching, Mr. Sternfeld was moving back.

“Come here boy, right this way.” Mr. Sternfeld was having a lot of fun right now. “Follow me and you will get it.”

“Oh teddy! You’re a genius!” Mrs. Sternfeld was clapping her hands.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Okay listen. I’m going with you only because I’m forced to do so. Don’t think that you have special considerations because you have given me this tasty biscuit.” Bino said with a muffled voice, gripping in his paw an already bitten dog biscuit and holding his sleeping basked under his armpit.

Mr. Sternfeld was looking around. This time, no one was avoiding eye contact with him. All people were giving him a friendly smile. The person who was in the window was not hiding anymore. He was waving his hand for greeting. Mr. Sternfeld felt relieved.

“Seems we’re not the local suckers here anymore.” He said to his wife who was looking on their new dog with fascination in her eyes.

And then, Mr. Sternfeld saw on the sidewalk the same young pair with pets they were passing by earlier. Like before, they were smiling, giggling and chattering. When they saw Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld with Bino between them, they smiled to them cheerfully.

Now Mr. Sternfeld was sure that from now on, everything will be okay.

Until the young man whispered to his ear as he was passing him:

Man, what they heck have you done…

Now something was not right. Mr. Sternfeld felt a cold shiver that went down his spine. In his head appeared thoughts of doubt and uncertainty. His stillness was blown away like a sand castle.

“You’re so sweet that I would eat you.” He heard his wife’s joyful voice.

He saw her petting Bino, who was blushing as he was feeling the magical pleasure again.

“Wait… EAT ME??” Bino shook his head violently. “So this is why you took me?! You want to throw me into the oven and crisp me like a turkey?!?

Mrs. Sternfeld laughed.

“It’s a metaphor sweetie.” She explained. “And I would never eat such a cute dog like you.”

“Then don’t call me sweetie please.” Bino said with a weak voice, almost pleading. “I don’t want someone to mistake me for a candy and eat me.”

Mr. Sternfeld let out a sigh of relief when he saw their house.

“This is your new home Bino.” Mr. Sternfeld said as they were standing near the mailbox. “It’s nothing special but… I hope you will feel here comfortable.”

Bino glanced at the house. His eyes were analyzing every detail- the yellow paint, wooden porch and especially… the mailbox. He came closer to it and began to sniff it.

I can’t sense the mailman…” He thought to himself. “He wasn’t here for a long time. I hope they will send someone here, otherwise it will be dull here…

But then, in corner of his eye, he noticed something. A house that was standing on the other side of the road. It looked familiar…

“Hey mister…” Bino pointed his finger at the house. “… is this Peanut’s house?”

Mr. Sternfeld looked on the house that Bino was pointing at.

“Well, I don’t know Bino. Our neighbors, Sandwiches, are living there.”

Bino got angry. Now he was sure who lives there. And he wasn’t happy about it. His fists were trembling.

“No… this can’t be happening… that cat lover will be even closer now. I can feel his odour already!” He said with his teeth gritted.

Then he turned to the Sternfelds.

“Mind if we go inside?” Bino asked them, wanting to be inside of his new house as soon as possible to forget about Peanut.

“Yup. Let’s go inside.” Mr. Sternfeld replied.

Bino was following the Sternfelds. As he was getting closer to frontal doors, he was sniffing everything around him with vigor. Every scent was new to him and it had to be checked since now everything that was around here was going to be his new territory.

Mr. Sternfeld have opened the frontal doors. He let his wife enter first, then Bino and he went inside last, closing the doors behind him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bino was looking around with amazement in his eyes. Everything was clean and there was no sign of any dust or food leftovers. His dad was always too lazy to do any cleanings and Max was mainly napping all the time. So it was always up to him to clean the house.

“So how do you like it here?” Mr. Sternfeld asked Bino.

“Yeah, it can be.” He said with a grin. Then he turned back and began to sniff.

There were various scents that were filling this house. Bino had to inhale them deep to get used to them. But there were 3 scents that were very strong. He could sense Mr. Sternfeld, Mrs. Sternfeld… and there was a scent of another person.

“Is someone else in this house?” Bino asked as he turned to Mr. Sternfeld.

“Yes. Our son lives with us.” Said Mr. Sternfeld.

Bino blinked.

“You have other pet?” Bino asked once more.

Mr. Sternfeld shook his head in disagreement.

“No. Matt is our own son.” He turned his glance towards stairs and looked up. “Matt? Are you there?”

Mr. Sternfeld was expecting an answer. But all he received was a silence. He grumbled.

Matt!” He yelled. “You have headphones on your ears again?!

After few seconds, Bino heard a weak voice.

Man, I can’t even take a nap in this house?

“Matt, come down here!” Mr. Sternfeld did not yell this time, but his voice was strong. “I want to show you something!”

Bino heard footsteps above him. Some doors opened and there was a slam. Bino could sense that the scent of the third person was getting stronger.

“I just knew it will be another of your wonderful surprises.” Someone said as he was slowly going downstairs. “What it will be this time? A book about plants? A fox shaped hat? Or maybe a trombone this time?”

And it was the moment when Bino have met Matthew Sternfeld for the first time.

He was standing on stairs, rubbing his eyes. What caught his attention were spiked bracelets that he had on his wrists.

Matt blinked several times until his eyes gained the correct sharpness. He glanced at his parents.

“Well, don’t keep me in uncertainty.” He said as he raised his hands. “Just show me what you got for me so I can tell you how stupid and useless it is.”

Matt begun to look around. His glance stopped on a dog that was staring at him.

“And what this thing is doing here?” Matt pointed his finger at Bino. “Another animal that came here only to say how it’s great that new neighbors moved in?”

Mr. Sternfeld coughed and stepped closer.

“Matt, meet Bino.” He said as he introduced Bino by his hands. “He is your dog from now on.”

Matt’s expression suddenly changed. All colors have drained from his skin. He was still pointing his finger at Bino, but his eyes were widely opened, looking like they were going to fell off from their orbits.

Bino was surprised too. He turned his gaze to Mr. Sternfeld and blinked several times, then he turned it back towards Matt.

Only Mrs. Sternfeld was smiling cheerfully, like nothing was happening at all.

Matt slowly turned his head towards his father.

“MY WHAT?!?”

(A/N)

Prologue came to an end.
I don’t know why, but I have a feeling that something is not right.
Anyways, I was recently thinking about ATKM. And when I read all of those stories there, I realized that I must work hard if I want to be a good writer. Most of stories that are posted there are really well written. I actually made a good decision by not participating, despite that my evil self was tempting me. It’s not my league yet.
So I will just sit here in my little world and try to improve.
I guess that Mr. Griffin will have a lot of work by choosing a winner. But I also think that it will be a lot of fun for him.
I almost forgot… I was finally able to make some photos. They’re not good yet, but the best thing is that I’ve finally forced myself to go out on town and do something.

CHANGELOG
27 I 2011: Bino and Max's onwner's name edited. Reason: according to tags, Jeff is the official name.
Last edited by Karl on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great story, really! I love it. You aren't that bad at writing, you're dialog is actually pretty good. You just need to work on the grammar a little. If you are really concerned about it, you can always have someone edit it for now. Who knows, maybe seeing what the editor suggests will help you understand the language better and improve your already fantastic work.

I can't wait to see how Matt and Bino interact with each other, though.
My characters
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

I'm really liking this story...it's very innovative in it's idea of a teenager taking care of a dog...since all the other fan-fics usually feature adults taking care of them. Now the question remains...will Bino be like a 'brother' to Matt, or 'a son'? X3
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I LOVE IT!

Hate can be the base for very powerful friendship~
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This family is a bit disturbing. Like they all have some mental disorder.
It's actually rather creepy. :?

But I think that just makes me like it even more.
Just so long as they don't move to my neighborhood. ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Obbl wrote:This family is a bit disturbing. Like they all have some mental disorder.

Couldn' agree more.
With such neighbors, I'd feel the urge to lay some Claymores all around my premises :mrgreen:
Other than that, this is a wonderful series, can't wait to see how much hurt it'll inflicts on its characters...
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I am scared for Bino. Matt may be the only sane one in this... 'family'.
Karl

Post by Karl »

copper wrote:Great story, really! I love it. You aren't that bad at writing, you're dialog is actually pretty good. You just need to work on the grammar a little. If you are really concerned about it, you can always have someone edit it for now. Who knows, maybe seeing what the editor suggests will help you understand the language better and improve your already fantastic work.
I'm actually rethinking about asking someone to be my editor. I like to work on my english, but I think it will be better for readers to get a story that has no confusing places.
copper wrote:I can't wait to see how Matt and Bino interact with each other, though.
Me neither ;)
lightwolf21 wrote:I'm really liking this story...it's very innovative in it's idea of a teenager taking care of a dog...since all the other fan-fics usually feature adults taking care of them. Now the question remains...will Bino be like a 'brother' to Matt, or 'a son'? X3
I was thinking a lot about this. A lot of children and teenagers around the world have their own pets. In Housepets!, we see pets calling their owners mom and dad, which is rather true since a pet is like a child to us. So I asked myself - then who are human children for pets? And how do they interact with animals that are able to walk on two legs and speak? That's how the idea of this fanfic was created. It's some kind of my own journey to find the answer.
KizerZin wrote:I LOVE IT!

Hate can be the base for very powerful friendship~
xD
Obbl wrote:This family is a bit disturbing. Like they all have some mental disorder.

Stan and Alice Sternfelds are based on some people that I've met in my life. It was creepy to watch their actions and weird ideas, but it was really fun too.
But don't worry. Mr. and Mrs. Sternfeld will strike once again ;)
valerio wrote:With such neighbors, I'd feel the urge to lay some Claymores all around my premises :mrgreen:
Other than that, this is a wonderful series, can't wait to see how much hurt it'll inflicts on its characters...
Similar people live above me. What shall I do?
How much pain? Well, their house won't burn... yet ;)
Private Elliot wrote:I am scared for Bino. Matt may be the only sane one in this... 'family'.
He thinks the same thing ;)

-----

I'm really happy that you all are enjoying my fanfic. Your opinions really matter to me. Especially when you share your thoughts about characters. And I really like to read your interpretations and your points of view.

Silly me, I forgot to tell you one thing in (A/N).

As you've noticed, the Sternfeld household is opposite to Sandwitches. I know that people were debating a lot does Bino live near Peanut and Grape, but I couldn't find any answer. So I've decided to make such manipulation in my fanfic and bring Bino closer to them. But if in the comic something will change and it will happen that Bino actually lives already near Sandwiches, then... then... then I will have a serious problem ^^' .
I'm a bookworm!
EmoPeanut

Post by EmoPeanut »

Awesome story...... but I think the Bino+Matt = End of the world. They will destroy us all...... starting with cashiers and Sandwiches ........................... heheheheehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehbehhehheehehheheehehehheehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhehehehehehehheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheheheheehehehe
Im crazy......WAFFLES!!!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

EmoPeanut wrote:Awesome story...... but I think the Bino+Matt = End of the world. They will destroy us all...... starting with cashiers and Sandwiches ........................... heheheheehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehbehhehheehehheheehehehheehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhehehehehehehheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheheheheehehehe
Indeed! Mm Mm Mm ha ha ha HA HA HAAaaa!