HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Valerio's translated fanfics

Post by copper »

Tha Housedog wrote:
copper wrote:Yay! I have been waiting for an update. This story is so good that I have become more impatient than a child on Christmas Eve.
DON'T KILL ME I'M SORRY I'LL WORK FASTER!!!
I mean it though, I have a tendency to waste my time playing forum games instead of doing translations...
But no more! I will not play Forum Games! AS MUCH...
Now why would I kill you when there is a perfectly good basement that a random person can be thrown into and forgotten about for a while? Oh, look! It has a computer full of fanfics that need translating. Do you happen to know anyone who can act as translator for me? :twisted:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:
copper wrote:Yay! I have been waiting for an update. This story is so good that I have become more impatient than a child on Christmas Eve.
DON'T KILL ME I'M SORRY I'LL WORK FASTER!!!
I mean it though, I have a tendency to waste my time playing forum games instead of doing translations...
But no more! I will not play Forum Games! AS MUCH...
Now why would I kill you when there is a perfectly good basement that a random person can be thrown into and forgotten about for a while? Oh, look! It has a computer full of fanfics that need translating. Do you happen to know anyone who can act as translator for me? :twisted:
Trust me, I'm already there. >.>
No matter what, I'm going to work on translations. Except for the fact that I'm writing the latter half of "A 'Simple' Date". After Chapter four, it belongs to me! :twisted:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Or so you think.
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Well, actually, it will really be just lightwolf21 and I switching roles. He is the writer and I edit. After Chapter four is posted, we switch. And who knows? I might actually write five chapters, not four. :twisted:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I foresee more than that, but what do I know, I just read fanfics. :lol:

Just make sure you guys have fun with it.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

Babylon Gardens Temporary Shelter for the Abandoned and the Ferals

“Q...u...ant...um!” King said, his tonguetip sticking out as he was placing the last squares of that word on the Scrabble board. “Ha! Eat your heart out!”
A golden retriever and two identifiable, robust half-breeds, however, gave him a loud raspberry. “No fair! You have the internet at home!”
“You have a house, for that matter,” said a cat who was watching the game, his tail mirroring his agitation. *Sigh!* “Does your human not want any of us? Even if I’m not taken, it’s okay.” It was a sort of unspoken rule amongst the shelter’s guests: they were there to be adopted, and would do everything possible to help others get adopted. They were all happy when someone came out of there on their hind legs and not through the chimney.
But it was no longer that way; Mr. Martin had demolished it. Yet, in their hearts, that brick-built monster was still there, nearby, always ready to spit out the ashy remains of a unique and irreplaceable life...
At the mention of his master, King made a strange face. “Let me put it this way, people: Pete is not a Dad anyone would like. And don’t ask me for details!”
The animals looked at each other perplexed, but didn’t push the subject. “I think that Mr. Martin would take us to his house,” asked the cat that had spoken before.
King sighed. “Oh, he would all right, and that is why I’d rather you didn’t ask him,” he said, looking at the ground. Please don’t ask me why, please don’t ask me why...
“Why,” asked the retriever named Aisha.
Urgh! It was a dirty job, to say certain things, but someone had to do it. King prepared to respond when the voice of Evelyn said, “Because he’d feel compelled to take you all in, then. And in the end, he’d end up with no room for more, and no resources for more. He’d be forced to say ‘no’ to others in need and that would kill him.”
The woman knelt down next to the group. “He wants to improve and enlarge the shelter because there are other unfortunate ones, and he will work hard to give all of you families. Those who remain will still be treated like family, and he will visit every day. So, in a sense, you’re already home, right?”
“I guess so,” said Aisha. Of all animals, she really craved for a human family. She had it in her blood so much that, when the shadow of threats and beatings had at last disappeared, she had begun to desperately howl in anguish to the stars. A textbook case of separation anxiety.
“You’ll see, someone will be lucky, when we open the new shelter,” Evelyn continued, scratching the back of her neck. “Mr. Foster will give a great party reserved for those who want to adopt. I was instructed to browse all listings of people looking for an animal to prepare the invitations. It will be a great day.”
“Yay!” Said King. “I was at his party when he introduced himself to the pets of Babylon Gardens. He knows how to throw one! Look, I’ll bet a month’s rations that the day will end well for many of you!”
---
Arbelt Household

Portrait of a nervous dog: Tiger rummaging through the basket of his things, desperate for something to impress Celestia. The most disparate objects would fly from the basket as if they were rocket-powered – a used slice of pizza, decapitated doll, Poom teddy bear, biscuits, a Transformer who became a vehicle when it hit the floor... The curious thing was that the basket seemed bigger on the inside than the outside.
Tiger finally found the object of his desires: a king-sized pack of white and pink cubes! “Ah! Perfect!” He had a triumphant grin on his face. “Now I only need a lighter, some charcoal, and a starry sky!”
“For a fire in the moonlight?” Said a voice behind him.
Tiger spun. “For a romantic evening, ignorant feline!”
Marvin, Tiger’s housemate and best friend since they were younger, looked intrigued by the package of Haribo Chamallows. “A romantic evening with marshmallows? This is new even for you.”
“You don’t understand!” Tiger left the room almost trotting, followed by the cat. “Movie and a dinner, hah! Any amateur can do that! This must be done the professional way! Nothing says ‘I love you’ like a fire under the stars and a marshmallow stuck on a branch.”
Now Marvin was really confused. “Tiger, some days you return from the gym looking like you were repeatedly shot by Cupid. Zach and I appreciate that you’ve decided to vent your remaining insecurities elsewhere and that there is a romantic interest in your life, but... marshmallows!? Come on, are you planning a romantic date or a Greek tragedy? And who is the poor creature who deserves such a treatment? Bino’s sister that I didn’t know existed?”
Tiger sighed like a furry angel. Marvin, in a way, was more scared by this than the usual furious Tiger.
“Her name’s Celestia, and she is a gift of the deep forests to us domestic mutts. Her voice is a celestial choir, her smile the embodiment of Spring, and her shining eyes are like two moons... And she is mine!” He added with a sudden, murderous growl. “Tonight I’ll go to her home, then I’ll show everyone how to put on a real outdoor date.”
“Never heard of a pet with such a name," Marvin said.
“Celestia! She’s Miles’ niece.”
“Miles, like, the wolf? This girl is a wolf?” Marvin couldn’t believe his ears. “Tiger, Tiger, whose brain’s burning bright, what madness has molded your thoughts? ...Do you realize who you’re talking about?”
“I do! She is beautiful, and she found me cute. She said it in front of the whole gym, that I am a pretty boy!” If he stiffened any more, he would explode.
Marvin glanced quickly at the window, just to see if the Sun was still in place. “Tiger, she is a wolf! They are beyond the reach of anyone, here! Could it be that you’re... uh, letting your imagination get the best of you a bit? Maybe she just wants to make friends, huh?”
The dog gave the cat a pat on his cheek. “I am Tiger, my friend. I’m tough and the girls like me. These are the facts.” And he passed.
“But the fact is that you’ve never courted a girl before,” said Marvin.
Tiger seemed to suddenly descend from the clouds.
The cat was quickly back beside him. “I don’t wish to disparage you, my friend. I’m not saying you’re not appealing, but do you really think that shiny fur and a pretty muzzle will make a difference? Those wild things are... a different thing. They have different customs, they’re practically a different species than us pets. Courting is a serious matter, which takes time, and you think she’s ready to date seriously after what? A week?”
“...Love at first sight?” Tried Tiger, now no longer so confident.
“Whatever it is, don’t forge ahead. Maybe she’s just testing you. Of course, if there was an expert in these things...”
“There is,” Tiger exclaimed. He gave a kiss to Marvin. “Thanks, man!” And ran out like a fireball in Indianapolis.
Marvin sighed, shook his head and went to the phone. Better order some pizza... With double, no, triple cheese...
---
Sandwich House

“PEANUUUT!”
On hearing his name called out as if someone were being slaughtered, the dog that was sleeping happily, leaning against a tree, woke up suddenly and just as quickly raised his head slamming against that tree..! “Ow!”
Grape, who was reading a book, sitting next to Peanut, growled softly. Now him, too... “What’s up, Tiger?”
“Peanut, thank goodness you’re here!” The Pitbull came panting in the garden, and seizing the poor Peanut pulled him into the house without too many compliments. The puzzled cat followed the scene without understanding. Then the couple disappeared behind the door. A moment later, Tiger stuck his head out and said, “It’s a guy thing! Sorry!”
She shook her head and went back to the book. “I almost preferred him better when was paranoid and insecure...”

“Peanut, dear, sweet, wonderful and wise friend of mine!” Tiger was practically on his knees, hands clasped in prayer. “I am an unworthy creature in front of you, King of the Heartthrob, and I ask you a paltry crumb of your wisdom to be able to change my miserable existence!”
Peanut, his head tilted to one side and ears erect, said only, “Huh?” And rubbed his aching head. Maybe he was still dreaming...
Tiger explained his case. “...So, you know, I gotta know what to do tonight. In short, how did you get with a girl so different from you? You have conquered a cat, so a wolf shouldn’t be so that difficult, we are already half-cousins, right?”
Peanut tried to collect his thoughts. “Tiger, well... It’s not so easy. I’ve always lived with Grape, in short, I know her. What do you know about this she-wolf? What does she like? Her tastes?”
Tiger thought about it... and he felt like dying. “I know nothing.”
“That may be a problem. Girls want to be understood, Tiger. Believe me, there’s nothing more embarrassing than sitting at the table with the one you love not knowing what to say. After that, you’ll be afraid to even say ‘hello’.”
Tiger nodded, his face all serious. “So, should I get a spy to find out what she likes?”
“Yes, I MEAN NO! Girls don’t like being spied on! They want you to find out, but at the same time, they like to be mysterious. Once, Grape got me crazy because I had to figure out the title of a certain song she liked.” Suddenly his voice dropped to a conspiratorial tone. “They are smart, they make you look desperately for clues and go around in circles just to see if you are determined!”
“But I am determined!”
“And if she asks you to hunt a deer for her?”
“Could she?”
“Lucretia had a gutted deer as a centerpiece. To her, it was classy.”
Tiger thought of the marshmallows. “And how can I make a girl who loves gutting deer happy!? I would let myself be trampled by a deer, for her! Come on, Peanut! You know how to get the heart of a
different[/i] girl. Think!”
“Hm... tell her you love her?”
“So she can laugh at you in your face,” said Grape, making them jump.
The cat had climbed on the window. “You forgot that Dad keeps it open when it’s hot, you big lug,” she said to Peanut, then jumped inside. “Tiger, there is no ‘magic formula’ to win a girl. Peanut loves me for who I am, with all my faults, and vice versa. It’s something that took time for both of us, and the right circumstances. And then, as he said, we already knew each other for a long time. Then he had a lot of guts himself, to help me step forward and kiss him in front of everyone at that party, or we’d still be entangled in a clumsy secret affair. You’re starting practically from scratch with this Celia...”
“Celestia.”
“That. In short, if you don’t know anything about her then you can’t already declare to her. You will only look like a fool.”
Tiger grabbed Grape by her shoulders and began to shake her like a milk shake. “So what do I do!? I can’t wait for another suitor to come forward!”
Grape waited a few moments for her neurons to reconnect. “Play the cub card, then.”
“What..?”
Peanut snapped his fingers. “Of course! Offer yourself as a cub-sitter! So you can show Celestia that you are a responsible person. She’ll see that you’re more of a family dog, later! It worked for me!”
Tiger thought about it. Hmm, with the little puppy Pap it hadn’t gone so well... but it was also true that at that time he was in that looooong stage during which calling him ‘kitty’ would cause some… social problems.
But he was Tiger, he was tough, he could do it! How much trouble could a pack of wolf cubs be? “I guess it’s an idea. Thanks, guys. Wish me luck!”
---
Foster Mansion

“Dad?”
“Hmm?” Martin Foster barely seemed to notice the huge dog that had just spoken. In fact, he seemed to have forgotten that he was at lunch, at home, at the table with the four animals that were the light of his life. “Ah, sorry, Antares... I was lost in thought.”
“Lots of them, I’d say,” said the white cat, Alcor. “Usually you’re the first to finish your food, since you work at the shelter.”
Martin was playing with his portion of salad. The lettuce had been carelessly punctured so many times that it seemed like it had been shot. “Serendipity,” he’d repeat at home as he had done in the office while consulting the files of two former guests of the shelter... Correction, a guest who still was there, the mysterious ‘Silent Bob’, and a cat who now had a permanent home, right there within the Gardens. Princess Periwinkle...
Serendipity.
He remembered the words that Tarot had said a few days before. ‘Your coming, Martin Foster, has set in motion a mechanism the existence of which I wasn’t even aware.’
Martin took the phone from his pocket, and pushed a quick-dial button. He waited a moment, then said, “Miss Sunman? I’m sorry to bother you at this time... As soon as you finish your break, get me all the listings of ‘wanted for adoption’ in the areas of Overview Grove and Garden Drive, no matter how old or whether it’s online, newspaper, whatever, it’s enough that they’re still open. Sort them according to Silent Bob’s specs, then just for the canine species. I’ll be there in an hour.” Another pause. “Excellent. Thank you, Miss Sunman. Bon appetit.” He put the phone in his pocket. “I hope I’m not making a mess,” he said.
“What is it?” Chirped Mizar. “You have to find family for a dog?”
“It’s a bit... more complicated than that. Bob asked me a favor, and...”
“Bob talked to you!?” Said Mizar and Alcor in perfect sync.
Martin nodded. “I could have made it, but if I tell him now, he’d get crazy at the idea of staying at the shelter even a single minute more.” He was talking to himself. “After all, if he found the courage to ask this favor, it means that he’s really forced himself to overcome the trauma. So, first I want to find a family nearby. And now.” He stood up and gave each of his loved ones a hug and a kiss on the forehead. “Excuse me, loves. But I really have to solve this thing. See you tonight.”
---
Residence Milton, Masterson (& Danko)

“Sergeant?”
The dog was listening to music on his MP3 player. At the sound of the voice of an old friend, he sat down and turned off the device. “Fox.”
Bill’s dog, the gray-haired Husky, came forward. “Long time, no see.”
The two dogs hugged. “Looks like I’ll have to hear this often,” said Danko.
“Kevin has already tackled you?”
“Needless to ask. And you? Still a bachelor?”
They both sat on Ivan’s cot. Fox nodded. “After Felicia, well... I haven’t found the right one yet.”
Janet Masterson’s Doberman chuckled. “You will never find the right one if you continue to compare them to her. Good heavens, Fox: what happened to the healthy butt-sniffing ritual to find out if she likes you or not?”
Fox blushed violently. He remembered the time he presented himself in this way to the poor King! The poor guy was so embarrassed that he was almost melting the snow he was sitting on. The dog put his hand behind his head. “You’re impossible! How many hearts have you broken from when you were on leave permanently?”
“Ah, hard to keep count. It is the only thing I miss about living in the city. The available ladies, here, all of them go for that scrawny Fido, who knows why, and the free ones could be counted on my fingertips... Are you still alone with Bill?”
“Oh, well, yeah. He also didn’t have the courage to look for another girl, after Janet. I think he fears an honest relationship, now.”
“The poor thing.”
Fox let out a slight growl at Danko’s sarcasm. “Anyway, no, he hasn’t even gotten a new dog. I’m hanging out with the usual guys, and recently I made friends with a funny guy named King. He now, however, spends a lot of time with Mr. Foster, and I admit, Bino and his friends can be so irritating sometimes...”
At that moment, a mammoth yawn came from Thomas’ room.
“Our money hunter is waking up,” said Danko.
Fox frowned. “Heck of a sleeper.”
“Nah, he works at night, and goes to bed at 6. Then he gets six or seven hours of sleep and the day begins around this time. Shower, plenty of brunch, a couple of movies older than my family tree...”
“They are called ‘classics’, you beast!” Was the indignant cry from the bathroom. The shower turned on.
Danko chuckled. “Then he sets to work and in comes the cash for the shelter and Mr. Foster’s pets. He enjoys it.”
“There would be other ways if you got me an internet connection that’s not just for work!”
“Your sister says you’d just waste it faster, if we did. And she knows you well.”
“I hate you all!”
“He’s funny,” said Danko. “But why didn’t Bill turn to the old shelter for a new housemate? Not that he couldn’t now, but he would’ve saved…” he checked himself, but too late. Score one for Mr. Sensible!
“It’s my fault.” Fox dropped his ears. “...I didn’t want to suffer anymore, and maybe I have condemned an innocent. But...”
“But you should talk to him, blockhead. If after all this time you’re still thinking of her, I’m not saying that you should look for another mate, but at least a friend to live here with you. Bill is not poor, as far as I know.”
Fox nodded. “Maybe you’re right...”
Danko gave him another look puzzled. “You never told anyone?”
The other dog shook his head.
“Wow.”
“I didn’t want to be forced to make a choice, I wanted to be sure to give myself the right amount of time to think... and I went two years without even realizing it. Maybe that’s why I joined that crazy Bino and his gang. With them, I have an excuse for not having a stable relationship with someone. And then I can beat Bino, when he makes me really angry.” Fox found a good mood. “Did you know about this catnip bomb he used on King, last Christmas..?”
Last edited by valerio on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Ivan Danko... Isn't a name from a movie called "Red Heat" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (correct me if I misspelled) and some other guy in the mid 80's?
Anyway, I wonder what will happen to Tiger and my favorite couple...
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Russiarules1 wrote:Ivan Danko... Isn't a name from a movie called "Red Heat" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (correct me if I misspelled) and some other guy in the mid 80's?
Yush. The guy is a total Arnold fan and convinced Janet to change his name. The other actor in that movie was Jim Belushi.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hmm... Fox worries me a little. I remember that Bino was telling Grape in his room that Fox is his friend and he don't wanna loose him. But it seems that Fox thinks otherwise about Bino. This may end bad.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Awww, Tiger is all flustered! This is an awesome update, and I hope tiger gets the girl, but I don't think cub-sitting would be good. Tiger just got over his "problems" and now he wants to be around hyper children? That does not sound like a good idea to me.

Silent Bob is grape's Brother!? :shock: I am shocked, sir!
My characters
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

valerio wrote:
Russiarules1 wrote:Ivan Danko... Isn't a name from a movie called "Red Heat" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (correct me if I misspelled) and some other guy in the mid 80's?
Yush. The guy is a total Arnold fan and convinced Janet to change his name. The other actor in that movie was Jim Belushi.

I am not a total Arnold fan, I know that because I saw the movie a few weeks back
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Russiarules1 wrote:
valerio wrote:

I am not a total Arnold fan, I know that because I saw the movie a few weeks back
The message was referred to Ivan Danko, not to you U_U
"In nomine Libertatis vincula aedificamus; in nomine Veritatis mendacia efferimus." -Michele Salvemini aka CapaRezza
"Let there be light! That was, uhm... God. I was quoting God."
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Russiarules1 wrote:The message was referred to Ivan Danko, not to you U_U
Oooooohhh... Hehehe, whoops! :oops:
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

Come on Tiger, you can do it! Also bad winds may be a coming for Fox and Bino! UH OH!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Milton Family House for the Equal Chance Program

To recap: he had bathed. He was polished. He had put on his best collar. He had spent a month’s allowance on a good buy at the supermarket’s meat department.
He was ready. He was tough. He was Tiger!
He knocked on the door. A moment later, it opened to a smiling Miles. “Tiger, good to see you again! Come on in.”
Seeing the whole pack gathered in the living room, Tiger had this strange feeling that he had just turned into a tasty sandwich. Never had he found himself with so many wolves, and above all, now he was the center of their attention. Tiger swallowed. “Ehh, how do you do?” He tried. Looking around, he noticed that something was missing... “Where’s Celestia?”
“Tiger!” said the she-wolf from the stairs. She ran down and swept him up like a doll in a powerful embrace. The Pitbull’s bones cracked. “How nice of you to come! Thank you so much for offering to take care of the cubs!”
Tiger felt the strong need to reincarnate, but he managed to say, “Heh, my pleasure...” For how much painful that physical contact was, he would have paid both arms and legs to do it again.
“Now we can go,” Daryl said, putting on his ever-present yellow cap. “Thank you again, Tiger, we won’t forget it.” The pack headed for the door. “Come on, daughter dear, the guard shift is waiting for us.”
Tiger looked puzzled at his wild angel of the woods leaving along with the rest of the family. “But...”
The young wolf arrived at the door, stopped and turned around. “We all have a job as the guards of the Milton Ferrets, including me. It’s the condition we signed up for to live as pets, you know. In turn, one of us takes care of the cubs, but now that you’re here, the pack can work together.” She blew him a kiss. “You are precious, beautiful boy. The next time we meet, we’ll have a little fun, yes?”
Tiger didn’t record exactly the unfolding of those events. He stood there like a statue, his thoughts reduced to a shapeless jelly, the swirl of his emotions smothered to a pale flame. And above all, there shone a single, very bright neon word:
SUCKER!
Tiger sadly looked at the coupon in his hand. He sighed. He wanted pizza. And cookies.
“Hello, Uncle Tiger!” shouted a chorus of familiar voices from the stairs. The dog barely had time to look up... before getting hit by three excited missiles!
“Deathaxe, Spacelaser, and Lightsaber reporting for duty,” said the largest of the Cubs, who had yellow eyes and was sitting on the dog’s chest. And they were heavy, those furballs! They were cubs, but they were almost the size of an adult dog. And who would protect him from them?
“Very pleased... Deathaxe. *Urk* Now you can get off? Please?”
The cubs helped him sit up. “...What do you do for fun, usually,” asked Tiger. “Apart from killing something, I mean.”
“We do patrols,” said the blue-eyed girl, referred to as Lightsaber. “You must accompany us.”
“Uh...” Tiger wasn’t sure it was a good idea. What if something happened to those small juggernauts? He didn’t want to end up as Lucretia’s centerpiece! “You, uh, you sure?”
“We’re sure!” All three nodded. Spacelaser’s green eyes pointed the street beyond the window. “We’ll inherit the work from our parents, and we must be prepared. At least once a week, it’s our turn to patrol the neighborhood.”
Then the trio stared at the poor dog with suspicion. “Are you calling us liars?” Deathaxe asked. And they sported smiles filled with tusks which were already the envy of most adult dogs.
Tiger was very quick to say, “I’ll grab a light.”
“Not now, silly!” said Lightsaber. “When the humans go to bed!”
That is, when he went to bed. Tiger growled something unintelligible. “And what do you do until then? TV and popcorn?”
“Boooring!” was the unanimous response, followed by a raspberry.
“Let’s play!” said Deathaxe. Suddenly those three pairs of eyes stared at Tiger with a light that was more... predatory... The dog swallowed.
“We play the hunters, you play the deer,” said Space-Laser.

A long cry of terror came from the Wolves’ residence, followed by the sound of furniture being turned upside down...
---
Bill was a predictable man, a true disciple of the routine. One could set the clock on his habits.
The patrol rounds, together with the paperwork at the station, made him reach the end of the day with that little bit of energy needed for making dinner, watching a bit of television and then going to bed. Fox did his best not to be in the way, but could not deny that evenings at home were boring. So he began to read: At the beginning, it was a way to pass the time without making a sound... Then, the dog had discovered the charm of the written word, and had turned his allowance into pocket books of the most various kinds, depending on what was in the discount basket at the supermarket. He wouldn’t turn away any genre, from essays to action novels, to classic literature, to romance novels. Bino had once caught him reading ‘The Werewolf’s Touch’ and still laughed at him for that, despite the fact that it earned him a twisted arm every time.
That evening was no different, as far as Fox had planned it. Sitting at the kitchen table, he and Bill were having a portion of microwave-heated lasagna. Bill felt guilty for not giving enough attention to his best friend, and always allowed him to dine with him and share food together ‘as humans’.
These were the moments when Fox could talk about what he had read, and Bill was happy to listen to him, although he was more the type for ‘beer and TV’. If his best friend had been human, the policeman would always say, he could have a future as a teacher. He promised himself that by the beginning of the school year, he would convince Fox to join a course to teach the young ones to read.
“...So, Dirk Pitt smashes his car through the window of the chalet, ends up in the middle of the piano bar, and with all the naturalness in the world he comes out of the wreck he was driving, and says to the pianist, ‘Could you please play Fly Me to the Moon?’!”
They both laughed. Fox could tell a book like a radio drama. He had once told ‘The Stand’, and Bill had almost spent the whole night wide awake, fearing he would dream about Randall Flagg...
The doorbell ringed. They both turned and looked toward the living room. “Expecting visitors?” asked Bill to the dog.
Fox shook his head. “You?”
They both got up and went to the entrance, the dog instinctively tense. “Maybe it’s Janet.”
“Impossible,” said Bill. “She and Ivan are watching those Milton scoundrels 25/8. I know her, the first thing she’d do is call the police if there was an emergency... Oh.” He had looked into the peephole. He definitely wasn’t expecting this visitor. He opened the door immediately. “Mist—Martin.”
“Can I come in?” asked the owner of Foster Mansion.
“Uh, of course. You’re always welcome.”
Martin came in, looking around, studying the environment with a few careful glances. “It’s about an old ad you posted, agent...”
“But now I am just Bill.”
“Touché.”
Bill pointed to a chair. “Might as well sit down. Coffee? “
“No thanks. I wish Fox was also present, as what I have to say pertains to both of you.” He wasn’t his usual joking self. Bill knew it was a very serious thing. “The ad you were talking about..?” asked the policeman.
Martin nodded. “To begin with, I need to know if it’s still valid. You have to give me an honest answer, Bill. According to the archives of the old shelter, you never signed up for adoption.”
Bill didn’t know what to say, he had been completely taken by surprise. It had been so long since he talked about that, and Fox had surely never pushed him to do so. “Well, offhand... I guess so. But it’s not up to me, entirely...” He stroked the dog’s head, who was glazing carefully at the human guest.
Martin nodded. “...I have a guest who needs a family. Now. There are a number of candidates for adoption, but all-in-all you are the most promising. And spare me that face, please: it’s my policy to investigate, within the limits of the law, the potential adoptive families before the papers are signed. To avoid future problems, as much as possible.”
“So you’ve done your homework,” said Bill. He didn’t know whether or not to admire this guy for coming to his place at this hour to propose... “Why the hurry? Of course, you know that I wouldn’t mind a new adoption, but so quickly... I think it’s an exception even to your new rules. So?”
Martin explained everything, down to the smallest detail.
---
They knocked on the door.
A moment later, the handle turned and the door opened a crack. A gray muzzle sniffed the air cautiously. “Tiger..?”
The door opened fully, and the rabbit found himself staring at an apocalyptic scene. It looked like a hand grenade or two had gone off in the living room. “Wow.” He had never seen anything like that. When all four wolves were gone, without him, Marvin and the rabbit were sure that old Tiger the Destroyer would’ve come back at full force.
Unfortunately, they were right...
“Zachary..?” The voice was almost a whisper, terrified. The rabbit had never heard a similar tone in his fierce domestic housemate, and it frightened him very much – well, lots of things frightened him very much, but that wasn’t the point, now.
Zach came in, being careful not to step on shards of wood and glass. “Tiger, Where Art Thou?”
“Here. And lower your voice, darn you. “
The rabbit found himself staring at a chest of dark wood with wrought iron hinges. “Are you there?”
“No, I’m practicing my ventriloquism! Of course I’m here!” Then the trunk’s lid was opened, and a hand covered with orange fur caught the poor rabbit by the collar and pulled him in!
“Maybe we’re safe... for now,” whispered Tiger to his new roommate of that cramped space. “Maybe they haven’t seen us.”
“Who?” The darkness in there was complete, the cramps were coming to Zach and Tiger stank of his own fear.
“Wolves! Those are not puppies, they are monsters! I have been chased all night, I don’t want to be their midnight snack! You have to help me get out of here!”
How? You just trapped me in here with you!”
“You’re a rabbit, right? Dig a hole!”
“I can’t dig a hole in the floor of a house! Tiger, they’re cubs, and you’ve really overdone it now!”
At that time, the lid of the trunk flew open violently! Zach and Tiger squeaked like two terrified mice and held tightly to each other.
Instead of giving them the coup de grace, however, they handed him a couple of head LED flashlights. “Come on,” said Deathaxe, “patrol time. Oh, and congratulations, you found a nice hiding place. If he wants, your friend can come with us.” And he showed again that toothy smile.
“Really, I...” Zachary tried, but Tiger promptly rapped the flashlight on his head.
“He means he’d be very happy to join us!”
“Cool!” said Lightsaber. Then, “Uncle Tiger, you weren’t getting bored in there?”
“Not at all! I enjoyed thinking about your faces as you were looking everywhere for me, heh.”
“But we stopped looking for you a long time ago,” said SpaceLaser.
Tiger’s pupils shrunk to pinholes. “Wut..?”
“Come on,” said Deathaxe, “you won when we stopped looking for you! We thought you knew that ‘deer hunting’ worked that way. After that, we started a chess game. Chess is fun, Uncle Peanut taught it to us. You have to know the game plan from the first move, it’s like planning for the hunting ground!”
For the first time in the evening, Tiger wanted to skin them. Then he would kill Peanut.

The patrol was boring as he had imagined.
The flashlights were used to rummage in the shadows not reached by the street lights. And Tiger and Zachary were happy to stay under the light, while, like so many cats the three cubs were running around in the garden to make sure there were no intruders.
Tiger yawned. “But do you really want to inherit such a boring job?”
“This place is our territory too,” said Lightsaber, carefully examining a bush. She wagged her tail. “A good wolf will always protect its territory. We will allow no intruders!”
“What intruders?” said Zach, looking around. “Wild animals have made a pact with Mr. Martin: They stay away from the trash bins, and he gives them food and emergency rations for the winter. And if I understood something of his plans for the shelter, the ferals will line up to go there.” He yawned, too. “And I just can’t imagine a human stupid enough to rob a neighborhood with at least one animal per family.” Actually, there was an attempt: a pair of thieves had planned to take advantage of the absence of a family and their dogs, during Thanksgiving. The dogs and cats of the nearby properties, however, had proved extremely keen to defend that property...
“Do you still want to woo Celestia, after this evening?” asked the rabbit.
“Only if she grants me a date during the daytime, in a public place with many witnesses.”
“You still don’t want to surrender, eh?” Zach nudged him.
Tiger blushed. “If after a night like this, she won’t allow me to take her to lunch at ‘Marmaduke’s’, then I don’t know what it will take...”
“Hey, did you see that?” The sudden urgency in the voice of one of the cubs attracted their attention. Dog and rabbit immediately lit their flashlights, projecting two beams of light shining in the direction of one of the houses...
...Thereby illuminating a raccoon.
“Hey!” Zach said, trying not to raise his voice too much so as to not disturb the sleep of the neighborhood. “Dude, what are you doing here?”
The figure didn’t answer, it merely stood there, with his two unnaturally bright, green eyes like two emerald beacons...
The Cubs looked at the stranger curiously. Zach suddenly felt very uncomfortable. “Ah, I am the Opener of Ways? Do you recognize me?”
Silence. The raccoon didn’t move from where he stood. His face was an absolutely expressionless mask.
Tiger noticed one thing, at that time, which made him shudder, but before he could speak, the raccoon walked to the corner of the house, and disappeared behind it.
“Hold it there, trash thief!” said Deathaxe, leading the charge. To their credit, the cubs were fast to cover the distance between them and the point at which the feral had disappeared...
...But when they got there, they discovered that there was no one-except the garbage cans, against whom they crashed with a clash that was heard throughout half of Babylon Gardens!
The lights were lit in the house a moment later. The door opened and Grape Jelly Sandwich came out a moment later, already wielding a broom. “Now I’ll show you, you...” She was dumbfounded at the sight of the heap of cubs and trash. “And what are you doing here?”
“We were chasing a raccoon,” said Lightsaber. “We have failed.”
The cat sighed, and leaned her broom against the wall. “I’ll pretend to believe you, pests. Now help me clean up, or we’ll never hear the end of it from Mom... And what are you doing there, you lugs?” She said the other two animals. “Come here, with your help we’ll be done in a moment.”
And while the group was busy tidying up, Tiger became convinced that he must have been wrong about that feral. The lights of the flashlights, which were reflected against his eyes, had given them that ‘ghostly’ glow. And then, he was terribly tired, he could hardly stand on his feet...
How could someone not have a shadow?

Season I
Episode 3
FIN
Last edited by valerio on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I've never babysitted any child. But I can only imagine horrors that Tiger had to face in Miles's house :)
I'm a bookworm!
NykVerien

Post by NykVerien »

No shadow?? GHOST!!!!!!!! Run for your life!!
valerio

Post by valerio »

NykVerien wrote:No shadow?? GHOST!!!!!!!! Run for your life!!
hehe, we just started...
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

I love kids, and babysitting the cubs seems like fun! Poor Tiger though, hang in there dude!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Tiger was stuck in their while the cubs played chess. HA! That's great.
I don't know where this is headed, but I'm enjoying the ride so far!
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:Tiger was stuck in their while the cubs played chess. HA! That's great.
I don't know where this is headed, but I'm enjoying the ride so far!
Extortionist. :cry:

I don't think I'll be able to do much of anything tomorrow in the way of translations, so you might be stuck waiting for a while... :oops:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Tha Housedog wrote:Extortionist. :cry:

I don't know what you are talking about. :roll:

I just gave you some added incentive. :lol:
My characters
Hopper200456

Post by Hopper200456 »

-_-" I iz waiting to see Streak.
http://hopper200456.deviantart.com/

"I already fixed it, and you are not coming back."
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hopper200456 wrote:-_-" I iz waiting to see Streak.
Huh?

I really miss these stories. I sometimes wish that I was fluent in Italian. I might just pick it as a second language, I don't know...
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

>.< I'm so sorry!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Tha Housedog wrote:>.< I'm so sorry!
For what?

Oh wait. you're the one that made me quit making Wild Mass Guesses! You will suffer for that! Or not, I don't really know.

Anywho, any idea about the next one? Or is this being dropped? I could understand that.
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:>.< I'm so sorry!
For what?

Oh wait. you're the one that made me quit making Wild Mass Guesses! You will suffer for that! Or not, I don't really know.

Anywho, any idea about the next one? Or is this being dropped? I could understand that.
I got lax on translating these again >.<
I promise after I put up the next chapter of Message, I'll do a translation.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

You spread yourself way too thin, dude.
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:You spread yourself way too thin, dude.
I'm not near as spread thin as Lightwolf is. I'll manage.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

I've just finished reading the stories in this thread, they're absolutely fantastic! I love them! Makes me wish I knew Italian. :)

Pleasepleaseplease keep translating! I must... read... more!
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
valerio

Post by valerio »

The Broken Fox wrote:I've just finished reading the stories in this thread, they're absolutely fantastic! I love them! Makes me wish I knew Italian. :)

Pleasepleaseplease keep translating! I must... read... more!
worst case, try using google chrome. It makes half a mess, but you can keep reading... Oh, and THANK YOU! :D :D
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

valerio wrote:worst case, try using google chrome. It makes half a mess, but you can keep reading...
Nooooo! I will not leave Firefox, not even for the sauciest of Grapenut fics! :D

... especially since Google Translate works just fine in it. Unfortunately, it does mangle some of the text horribly, and one of the reasons I love your stories is the immersive atmosphere you've created! Sadly, that's the first thing out the window when you have to guess what every other sentence should read like after Google Translate had its way with your Italian text. *sigh* :(

valerio

Post by valerio »

The Broken Fox wrote:
valerio wrote:worst case, try using google chrome. It makes half a mess, but you can keep reading...
Nooooo! I will not leave Firefox, not even for the sauciest of Grapenut fics! :D

... especially since Google Translate works just fine in it. Unfortunately, it does mangle some of the text horribly, and one of the reasons I love your stories is the immersive atmosphere you've created! Sadly, that's the first thing out the window when you have to guess what every other sentence should read like after Google Translate had its way with your Italian text. *sigh* :(
I know the feeling...I am a devoted Firefoxer myself. And thanks for the praise. Alas,soon I'll be taken in yet more projects, so I won't be able to translated the stuff myself (and it takes that bit of time to supervision what the kind Housedog does for me already)... Argh!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

valerio wrote:Alas,soon I'll be taken in yet more projects, so I won't be able to translated the stuff myself (and it takes that bit of time to supervision what the kind Housedog does for me already)... Argh!
I see... :( And what kind of projects will they be, if I can ask? Housepets or RL related?

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

valerio wrote: I know the feeling...I am a devoted Firefoxer myself. And thanks for the praise. Alas,soon I'll be taken in yet more projects, so I won't be able to translated the stuff myself (and it takes that bit of time to supervision what the kind Housedog does for me already)... Argh!
so does that mean I should just post them here from now on?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Tha Housedog wrote:
valerio wrote: I know the feeling...I am a devoted Firefoxer myself. And thanks for the praise. Alas,soon I'll be taken in yet more projects, so I won't be able to translated the stuff myself (and it takes that bit of time to supervision what the kind Housedog does for me already)... Argh!
so does that mean I should just post them here from now on?
Yes, you may
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Housepets: The Serie
Season I
Episode 5 - Old friends

"Hello, little ones," said Jane Sandwich.
"'Morning," Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly answered in unison, seating themselves at the table. Shortly after, Jane served them slices of buttered toast and sugared their favorite sandwiches and gave them each a glass of milk.
"What are your plans for the day?" Said Earl Sandwich, without taking his eyes from his newspaper.
"Oh, with the help of Grape want to do a special issue of Spot," said Peanut. "It will be a crossover with Doc & Smith! From the TV series, you know."
"I think they know, Peanut," Grape said before biting into her sandwich. "You've become obsessed with that DVD."
"As you did with the Pridelands DVD. And it's only a movie, while I have a box set of episodes." Peanut bit into his sandwich. "What you'll never need, then, is a hundred lions in tribal dress when you have me!"
Their parents giggled. Grape felt herself blush. "Peanut, if you want me to kill you, at least let me finish breakfast first."
"No I won't let you kill me, Miss Jellybelly!" Peanut quickly reached out a paw and scratched the cat's chest. She reacted with a lightning-fast swipe of her claws, which only struck the air because of the dog's reflexes.
At that moment, someone knocked at the door. Peanut jumped to his feet. "I'll get it!"
"Nuisance," snorted Grape.
"It's useless to deny it, Grape," said Jane, filling a second cup of milk. "The day started badly, without him and his exuberance."
Grape nodded, and drank her milk. Things had changed a lot. Sometimes, she would interrupt her own naps spontaneously if her sweet dog was not with her. At the same time, Peanut spent more time with her slumbering, and in the evening he was more than ready to enjoy the nightlife. Some were starting to say that Peanut had molted, changing species...
"Mizar! Alcor! What a nice surprise," said Peanut, entranced.
"Good morning to you guys," said Jane. Earl barely made a gesture with his hand. The Man of the Sandwich House would not break his ritual of reading the morning paper unless it was World War III.
"Have you heard the news?" Asked Mizar.
Grape swallowed the last bite of her sandwich. "What? Bino is an alien? Not that I would be surprised." Lately, the rumors in Babylon Gardens quickly followed each other since Mr. Martin Foster had moved into an old haunted house. From the party that Grape and Peanut had publicly declared their feelings for each other in front of every animal in the neighborhood. And then there was the demolition of the old cottage-camps, the gruesome discovery of a cellar full of unburied bodies, and the history between Alcor and Mizar. There was enough gossip material to last years.
"Now there's a new dog," said the female German Shepherd.
"Hmm..?" Grape raised an eyebrow. He drank the last sip of his milk.
"He's from the shelter! It's 'Silent Bob'!"
"The one who never speaks?" Said Peanut. For him, the essence of the exuberant and sociable dog, the idea that a fellow could have been so traumatized and not being open with no one bothered him a lot.
'Well,' said Alcor, " he actually seems to have started talking. But not only that: there is someone who might adopt him!"
Grape rolled her eyes. "Let me guess, your dad?"
"No! Bill!"

The Gardens of commuters had to proceed very slowly down the street, for fear of investing in the crowd of dogs that was crowded around the garden Agent Bill.
"There must be around the Good Old Dog's Club," Grape said. "Who is this lucky, the secret brother of Fido?"
"At the shelter, he was something of a celebrity, true, true," asked a Peanut very excited to Alcor.
"He's a celebrity because he is the first dog that Bill has adopted after Felicia died, and we're all rooting for Fox," said Bino. "I would know, if you are worried about friends, how to make a good leader." The dog pointed to his chest with his thumb.
"And he knows it only because I spread the word," said a family Doberman with a medal depicting a skull and crossbones hanging from the collar.
"This is unexpected news," said Grape. "How long have you been planning this? Or was it a surprise to Bill?" It had to be so, for that matter: it's OK that Fox was not exactly an emotional dog, but neither would be able to hide a bomb at all like that. One reason was always the buddy of all, the to point that he had earned the friendship of the grumpy King because he was lonely. He had never attempted another report, however, had never asked his dad to adopt another dog, male or female. He was too afraid of having to pay too high of a price again. And any attempt to convince him otherwise had crashed into a wall. Eventually, the dogs in the Club had decided to leave him alone, wait for him to decide for himself.
Apparently, that day had come. Or Bill had gotten tired of waiting.
Bill's door opened. Fox stuck his head out, not too surprised at the crowd. In his view, the dogs barking erupted in applause and encouragement.
Fox went out, and was almost overwhelmed by the enthusiastic crowd. Everyone wanted to be the first to congratulate him.
"Give him some breathing room, rabble," said Bino, making his way through the crowd, helped by Rex. The founder and president of the Good Old Dogs Club came to vigorously shake the paw of his friend. "Old man, congratulations on behalf me and all of the Club! As soon as we have presented the lucky one, revel in the great Club! For the occasion, will inaugurate him at the new home promised by Mr Martin at his villa!"
Fox hugged Bino. "Thank you so much, really. To you and to all of you, my friends. But...I have to ask a favor. Will you let me?"
Bino slapped his chest with his fist. "No matter what, my friend! Today I will be the embodiment of generosity, just for you!"
Fox put a hand behind his head. "I have to introduce the new dog to Grape and Peanut. And Mizar and Alcor."
If someone had touched Bino when he heard those words, the dog would have crumbled like a glass statue.
Fox gave him a pat on the shoulder. "Forgive me, but it is very important. It is not to belittle your role, believe me."
Bino hunched over and exhaled a long sigh. "You are the vilest of traitors, you know that?"
Fox smiled with his teeth bared. "Generosity, remember?"
"This is the match with a dozen rounds of crows. Be warned, you...you.... And are you doing there, weirdos? Get over here, before I reconsider!" He nodded dryly at the two pairs mentioned by Fox. They advanced between two rows of curious animals. When they arrived, the 'brothers' of Mizar and Alcor, the twins Antares and Aldebaran, stood as guard dogs on both sides of the door.

'Well, thank you...for this preview, "said Grape, still undecided. "But, apart from the fact that Bob, Alcor, Mizar, and I come from the same shelter, I don't think this is the occasion for a reunion or anything like that. I know I would not like to recall certain memories..."
"We know that, baby," said Earl, entering the living room at that time.
"Dad? Mama?" Grape rubbed her eyes. Okay, if it was a daydream, it was very realistic...!
Earl and Jane each took a couple of chairs around the table and sat down. "Bill left the back door open."
"I don't understand..." Looking at Peanut, she knew that he was no less confused. All others... were looking at her. Grape was the center of attention, and did not understand why. She had never seen her parents with those faces, marked by smiles at the same time sad and happy, as if they themselves do not know what emotion to leave leaked.
A sense of anxiety began to make its way into her heart. She felt her bowels tighten painfully. "Dad, I...I did something, and..." the words came out of her mouth almost automatically, along with those ghosts that, despite all her efforts, continued to haunt her from the corner burning with her memories. That was what her dad had looked at first, when he said he had to leave though, because they couldn't even afford to give them anything to eat, and...
Grape was panting. "Do you...want..." It was stupid, was just plain stupid that could even think that. They loved her, money is not missing, they had taken her away from that terrible place, they couldn't wish...
Jane stood up and went to hug her hard. "Sshhh, baby. Nobody wants to leave you, all is well. Oh, sorry about that much, sorry about that. Sometimes we forget how difficult it was for you. Sshh."
For a full minute, Grape wept quietly in the arms of Jane. Peanut then joined the embrace, and the warm comfort soothed her fears. "What's going on?" She asked, accepting a tissue. She blew her nose and threw the object into the trash. "Does it have something to do with that phone call last night?"
At about eleven o'clock, Earl had answered the phone. It was Martin, and Grape, who was in the room playing backgammon with Peanut, had heard her dad suddenly go from a cheerful tone of voice to one of surprise, but not without first having cursed. He had passed the call to mom, above, went up the stairs in a hurry. Peanut, as always, was not worried too much: if it was an important thing that concerned the two of them, their parents would tell them. Otherwise, it wasn't their business. In the end, Grape had decided to follow the advice of the dog. She had learned from him, among other things, that life could not be lived only filled with concern.
In retrospect, she should have at least tried to ask what it was.
Asked by Grape, Earl replied, "Yes. But...well, it's difficult to explain. Yesterday we were all tired, and we thought you'd spent a sleepless night, that poor Peanut would come to this moment with his nerves on edge ... "
"Why?" Peanut said, eyes wide. "Who is this dog, then? Why should I worry about Fox's new friend? What do I have to to do with-"
At that time, Bill's car entered the garage, accompanied by a chorus of excited barks.

Grape and Peanut stared at the door where Bill would come with the new dog. Peanut took her hand and squeezed. Although Earl and Jane were tense now. Mizar and Alcor were slightly apart, along with Fox, as if they wanted to let Grape and Peanut do the honors.
He heard Bill's footsteps,followed by those of another person, and the more muffled ones of a dog.
The door opened.
Bob went first.
Grape almost fainted. If Peanut had not been there to hold her hand, she would have fallen to the ground, she was sure of it.
It had been years since she saw that dog. Now he was thinner, his fur shinier... But it was not him. It has been recognized among all the dogs in the world. He was the last one she expected to see, after all of the misfortunes that had struck his first family. The first she hoped to see again, someday...
Her prayers had been answered.
"Princess..." said the Alaskan malamute known as 'Silent Bob'.
Grape swallowed, barely aware that next to her Mom and Dad Sandwich had a dry eye in turn. "...Lucky."
They approached each other, looking as if neither of them could really believe that the other wasn't a figment of their imagination, a daydream, that the first contact would dwindle to nothing...
But when their hands met, they knew that it was true. That after all those years they were together again, and when he said, "Princess Periwinkle!", before bursting into tears this time were those sweet memories that engulfed her thoughts. Memories of a more innocent life, full of promise, games and friendship...and the separation, hunger, pain disappeared and she was again Princess Periwinkle and glad! "Lucky! Lucky, Lucky, Lucky..." She pronounced his name as it tasted sweeter than honey drops. She buried her face in his fur. Although the he had lived the life of a vagabond before, and then at the shelter, he had been visibly marked, yet she smelled the familiar smell of straw that she remembered. "Are you okay, are you okay...Oh, you're right, I...I was always afraid that..."
Lucky repeatedly stroked her face. "I am the terrible Fang, remember? How could I be wrong? How could I stop wanting you?"
"You never stopped..."
Lucky shook his head. "Never. It never stopped torturing me that I left you alone that one day. When I came back, you were already gone, looking for a new family as you said, and I...I was afraid I was going in that horrible place, the rest was the only shelter near you. And when I decided to go there to find you, not only did I not find you, but those people were scary, and that Mac... "
"We know, friend," said Alcor, advancing a step.
Only then, Lucky seemed to notice that there were other people and other animals in there. "Ghost...? Angel?"
"Mizar and Alcor," she corrected the German shepherd. "Father Martin has adopted us."
Martin Foster shrugged his shoulders, then bent down to caress the head of Lucky. "So, champ? Did I keep my promise? *Erk!*"
Lucky had turned and was now crushing the life out of the human. "Thank you! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! She is the best person in the entire world!"
"So..." Peanut said, "You are Grape's first friend?"
Lucky looked at the cat curiously. "Grape...?"
"Grape Jelly. And he," she said, indicating the dog next to her, "Is Peanut Butter. My best friend, my boy."
Lucky hugged Peanut. "If you are with Princess, you're the luckiest dog in the world, Peanut Butter!" He let him go, then looked to Grape with lowered ears and his tail between his legs, and added, "At least you're not as insensitive as this stupid, selfish me."
Grape put her paws on his shoulders. "It still haunts you? Lucky, it was never your fault. Dad and Mom were in trouble even before your accident, you know."
"But I made things worse!" The dog almost growled, then suddenly subsided. "*Sigh* Excuse me everyone, it's that I'm very, well, excited, and..."
"It's understandable," said Bill. "Look, I see you have much to tell. Why don't you get comfortable? I'll prepare drinks for everyone, alright?"
"Sold," said Martin. "But dinner is up to me, okay? And Bill...thank you very much."
The policeman shook his head. "Do not thank me, as I've already said, thank Fox."
The animals were seated on the couch. Grape sat between Peanut and Lucky. Martin sat next to Peanut, Fox next to Lucky.
The malamute not stop caressing the hands of Grape. "Princess, you will never forgive me?"
"I've never accused you of anything, silly, what is there to forgive?"
Lucky turned to Fox. "I promise that I will be the best friend that you may have. Thank you so much."
"Nothing. After all, I was just looking for a good excuse to have someone close after all this time. And I'm so happy to see Grape is already happy enough..."
"Hey!" Peanut protested, waving his hand. "Hello? Earth to Grape!"
Fox laughed. "You know what I mean, it doesn't take much. You can't beat the first love, old man." He winked.
Lucky and Grape blushed. Peanut was in shock. "You loved him?"
"We were just friends," said Lucky, but he also became redder. "I was the Cable Guy's family and continued to be jealous, believing that Dad and Mom loved her more than me...and then I saw how we ended up; she left, then me. Hurrah. But I always thought that the Princess was really, well, nice. For a cat."
"He was just timid," Grape said, flashing a sweet smile. "He just wanted a little extra attention. And I gave it to him, to this ungrateful lug."
"Of course! Though you also involved me in your diabolical plans to pull tricks on the neighbors or their dogs! And every time, Dad gave us such a telling-off..."
"But we had fun."
"A lot." Lucky sighed. "I missed you so much."
"You too. We need to recover so long..." Then he turned to Martin. "Mr. Martin, I ... How can I thank you? "
The man took a glass of apple juice from the tray on the table. "As Fox has wisely said, I just so happy to see you happy, Santa."
That sentence was greeted by a swarm of curious glances.
Martin took a sip. "You know the word 'serendipity'? When the actions that can lead to a result they turn instead to another equally useful and perhaps more important. Columbus was looking for a way to India and discovered America, a laboratory accident led to the discovery of penicillin, or that of X-rays, and so on.
"I was a penniless schoolboy, when we first met, and thanks to you I was determined to work hard to put together the money to build an animal shelter of my own, and when I won the money, I came to the old shelter here the Gardens, where I met Alcor and Mizar, and when that took shelter under my management, I knew 'Silent Bob' and now I really could repay the favor, Princess, return your old friend. Serendipity."
"You know me..." she asked again. "Dad, do you know something?"
"We heard it last night," said Earl. "It was a shock for us too, believe me."
"But I do not remember you." It was true. As hard as Grape tried, she couldn't remember meeting the man. He wasn't a friend of her first parents, but had a familiar smell. Before the feast and the presentation, Martin Foster was a total stranger to her...
"Milk and hot cinnamon cookies," Martin said, smiling sweetly.
Once again, the memory switch snapped with a force that made her jump.
It was during her days of wandering. She had wandered far and wide, unknowingly in the direction of Babylon Gardens, when one day she had discovered just too tired, too hungry to take a single step. That was the day when she knew if she closed her eyes, she would be left to die there.
She had arrived at a seedy hotel. Without even bothering to be seen, she stuffed herself into a cardboard box upside down in a corner and fell asleep almost immediately, too tired to do anything...
At some point, however, her survival instinct had kicked in. Despite herself, she woke up...and Grape had smelled something she thought he had forgotten.
Milk and cookies.
She remembered to have sniffed the air in disbelief. Was it a hallucination? Had hunger finally come to claim her senses? When it came the madness?
But it was not a hallucination. Near the box was a tin cup full of warm milk and a plate of biscuits and cinnamon cookies. And a a post-it note was attached to the cup, saying only 'eating plan'.
But she had ignored the warning, and she devoured the sweets so quickly, she had become terribly nauseous. But she wouldn't vomit, no sir! She refused to reject that delicious meal, her stomach wasn't used to a decent meal and could protest until it wore itself out, she would have re-digested everything!
"It was you..." Grape asked Martin.
The man nodded. "You were so cautious, and I was afraid of driving you crazy with fear, so I just waited for the evening, then brought you another ration. Unfortunately I had no other to share, and that stuff was a gift to the bartender, who had taken a liking to me. When I came to bring the stuff, you pretended not to be there, and I didn't bother you. My room, however, was just above the box where you were, and every night I was expecting to see you pop out there and eat. You were so...different from what you are now. When I saw you here at the Gardens, I was not even sure it was you, Santa."
"So you called me...for milk and cookies?"
Martin said, "Yeah. Unfortunately, I was running a risk, the hotel prohibited feeding the strays. And one night, I did not realize that the director had seen me take the food. So I drove out unceremoniously. And I...I could no longer do anything for you." The man stood up. He approached Grape, knelt down and hugged her. "I promised myself that night, if there was any way, that if I could do something, anything to help a stray dog or cat to not suffer from hunger, I would do it. Not only in memory of my first pets, but also for you. And when Bob, that is, Lucky, asked if I could find for him a certain purple cat must have been a guest of the shelter...I realized that the circle really was full. Thus, there remains only one thing to do because our destinies are not separate anymore." He took the Peanut and Grape's paws in his hands. "I ask you, Martin Foster to Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly. Will you be my pets?"
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Whaaaaaaa!?

Peanut and grape leaving the sandwiches? BLASPHEMY!!!

And so we have discovered the connections that have bound them together, unseen, for years. I can't wait to see where this goes. Thank you, Housedog for getting this translated, and a big thanks to Valerio. Your work is beyond what I could ever imagine.

I just hope this continues...
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

copper wrote:Whaaaaaaa!?

Peanut and grape leaving the sandwiches? BLASPHEMY!!!

And so we have discovered the connections that have bound them together, unseen, for years. I can't wait to see where this goes. Thank you, Housedog for getting this translated, and a big thanks to Valerio. Your work is beyond what I could ever imagine.

I just hope this continues...
You're kidding, right? Of course this continues. There's a whole backlog of this stuff that I haven't translated yet.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Like a tiger once said: "ITZ GREAT!"
So, that explains pretty much all of it, I guess...
I'm hungry for some cereal, hehehe.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!