Housepets! The Card Game!

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Housepets! The Card Game!

Post by D-Rock »

This was based on a whim the other day. Seriously, just had the sudden idea to do this on the Discord. Here's what I got so far.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Yeah, just using existing images for all of these. The actual cards were all me, most of the art is, of course, Rick's, thought Shadow Peanut and the art for Dark Seduction are by Chaoko and Krytus, respectively.

Unknown if this will be a full thing, less likely if it's just me, but if y'all want, I can give out the templates. Right here. Even included rules. It's a weird amalgam of Yugioh, Pokémon, and a Fox Animation-based mobile card game.

Have fun, y'all. I might make more.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Krytus The Dreamer

Re: Housepets! The Card Game!

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

Here's my latest contributions. These actually came out way bigger than i thought it would, but i couldn't really compromise otherwise the drawing quality would drop like a lot.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The upside of such a large canvas is that the symbols look MUCH better. Guess I designed myself into a corner with trying to make them the same size as Yugioh cards. :oops:
Regardless, got this one.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Do some more, please.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I really should. Like with a lot of extra things I do, interest died. Let's see what happens.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Made a decent list of possible cards at work. Only had enough of a drive to actually make these three.
ImageImageImage
Baskerville art by Krytus the Dreamer.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Alright! Clever, serious "wows", sir !!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This was so hard. I did what I could based on the cards that already exist. I couldn’t match the font so I went with Comic Sans. As far as attack power and health points go I don’t really understand it so I did my best. The same with the language of the cards.

Despite all that I do enjoy doing stuff like this. I play with my Pokémon cards in a similar way. I created my own game so it’s nice to find others who share my hobby.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dude, these are pretty Good! Yeah, I completely wing it with health and attack power, actually. As for font, it's the same as the comic, Web Letterer BB. Had to download it, as it didn't come with my font list. And hadn't considered "combo character" cards, that's kinda neat.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I have some questions about the gameplay.
1. How many cards can be played at a time. Is it like Yugioh style where you have four or five characters on the field. Or more like Pokémon where you have one active then a bunch of characters waiting in the wings. I never played a lot of the “official” Pokémon card game.
2. What does the playmat look like because I have some ideas?
3. The trick cards confuse me. If the trick cards are a different color then why do we need a symbol to go with it?
4. Quick assist cards, can those be played during your opponents turn?
5. How many cards per deck? What kind of limits does each player have per which cards they can have at a time?
6. Can you attack an opponent directly?
7. You said that you were winging the attack and health points so have you thought about regulating them so they make more sense? Great Kitsune should have way higher stats.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Impressive collection, Fen!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay. I finally figured out how to post more than three images. Trust me I was not happy with all those posts either.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:I have some questions about the gameplay.
1. How many cards can be played at a time. Is it like Yugioh style where you have four or five characters on the field. Or more like Pokémon where you have one active then a bunch of characters waiting in the wings. I never played a lot of the “official” Pokémon card game.
I was thinking like Yugioh, five character cards, five assist cards, one field card.
2. What does the playmat look like because I have some ideas?
Only had the Yugioh one in mind, if you have ideas, feel free to present them.
3. The trick cards confuse me. If the trick cards are a different color then why do we need a symbol to go with it?
In the event I'll make a trick card that uses a different symbol that bucks the trend. Basically leaving my doors open.
4. Quick assist cards, can those be played during your opponents turn?
No, they either have to be played your turn or placed face-down. You can activate them at any time after that.
5. How many cards per deck? What kind of limits does each player have per which cards they can have at a time?
Not something I thought of, honestly. Yugioh has a 40 card minimum, doesn't it?
6. Can you attack an opponent directly?
Yes, if they have no character cards protecting them. I'm thinking of cards that directly attack them as well.
7. You said that you were winging the attack and health points so have you thought about regulating them so they make more sense? Great Kitsune should have way higher stats.
The "Kid-Sune" card is a basic card, so it wouldn't be too powerful to begin with. "Agent Zach" has a wide range of cards that can effect him, including cards that debuff cats and dogs, for example of a strong basic card with a drawback. "Celestial Kitsune" has an effect that greatly increases attack with the drawback of not being able to attack the following turn. It was an attempt at some semblance of balance, and Kitsune is a bit of a trickster, so thought that the card would reflect that.

Side note while multi-posting is allowed if you have to show more than three attachments, it might help to host the cards on another site and use the img tool to link them. That way you can show more than three per post.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Honestly, I don't get it. :|

Also, don't hit Enter when using the Img tag after each one. It keeps the images from being one long column. Of course, this would work a lot better if the cards were all the same dimensions.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

What do you know. It works. Good to know.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

There should be a card named too much adorableness, that causes one point of damage per puppy or kitten card in play per turn to all players.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Heh, not a bad idea, really.

And here it is. :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I'm not seeing the pics now, although that could be because I'm reading on mobile.
Edit

I was right, somethings up with my mobile browser.

Anyway, That's an impressive array.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, these are pretty neat!

UPDATE: Making new Character-type card. I'll add a base when I finish a set.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

You spelled Teoxihuitl differently on the 2 cards, was that intentional?

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

thanks for telling me. Typos happen a lot. Fixed now.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

New card type; Fusion!

ImageImageImage
Character images made by Chaoko.
Attachments
Fusion card base, though you'll have to make your own fusions, obviously.
Fusion card base, though you'll have to make your own fusions, obviously.
fusion character.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 20360 times
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Wow, these are really neat.
How about one called "OnO" or "Stupefied" with a picture of King's face when Duchess tried to seduce him. Maybe it could do something like "Choose a card. That card loses -3 Attack and has a blank text box."
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks. Got quite a list of ideas for these, really considering just posting said list...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Looking forward to that, D-Rock!
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

I made a new card type called the contracts. from a lore perspective, calling Celestials to do your bidding seems kinda off, so what if you actually make contracts with them instead and in return for fighting in their stead they grant you abilities. speculating aside there are three contract types each with their own set of abilities and rulings. At the beginning of the match both players reveal their contract card and put them on display for anyone to see. what they do depends on what type of contract they are.

Celestial Contract

As the name implies you contract with Celestials. They're kind of like Hearthstone hero abilities you can use them when specified the help yourself get an advantage in battle.

Image Image Image Image

Infernal Contract

In typical deals with the devil sort of scenario using an infernal contract gives the player a huge buff, like a larger starting hand, larger health pool, stronger creatures. However these buffs come at a cost and playing around these costs is how you win

Image Image Image

Mortal Pact

This last type of contract is a special case. After revealing it at the start of the match you shuffle it into your deck so you can summon it later. Mortal pacts are cards depicting mortals that are seen as leaders and rather than giving activated abilities like Celestial contracts or Buffs like infernal contracts, Mortal pacts give cards in your deck natural synergy through the special abilities they unlock for certain cards underneath their leadership.

If your mortal pact is with Sergeant Ralph he unlocks the ability for K9 Officers called Deploy. This abilities allows certain K9 officer cards to allow you to look at the top three cards of your deck and put one underneath them. When the Officer leaves for any reason the card underneath them is summoned if they are at equal or lower cost to them

Mile's mortal pact unlocks wolf pack member's ability known as Wild Hunt. Meaning when the weakest creature on your opponent's side of the field is destroyed certain things can happen like all wolves getting buffs or drawing cards and the like. If there are no creatures on your opponent's side of the field dealing damage directly to the player also triggers Wild Hunt

Now Zach's mortal Pact allows Forest Creatures the use of Stampede. Simply by discarding a card a forest creature can copy the attack stat of another card with stampede. They typically come with a bonus effect for reaching a certain attack level, in zach's case he get to heal all creatures on his side to full heath

anyway thanks for reading my incredibly long and nerdy TCG talk. when i get bored i might do more cards for the mortal pacts, heck i even have one for K9 officers

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dude, these are great! :D

Building a deck around a single contract/pact style or find some way to generalize a deck to have a fluid strategy with all of them. Mainly so you're not lugging around multiple decks. :lol:

This has a lot of potential, man. Great job!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Krytus, if you add a card representing the little "Dino-Demon" (Neel?), you have a third Infernal (with Eudoant and The Forgotten) to balance the three Celestials (Bahumat, Cerberus, and Kitsune).

Great work, man!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Finally compiled the card lists I had written up.
Stuff in red are ideas I had saved on my phone since February 11. Yeah, this was as good as dead for a while. The rest were written up last week.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here are all the cards from the list except Kitsunebi which I don't know what that is. I changed "Choice of Fate" to "Two destinies"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fen, you found Fox's squeaky bone. Bravo! Oh … that's not it … oh, well, terrific set of cards.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

These look great! Kitsunebi apparently refers to flames that Kitsune are seen using in Japanese folklore. Learned of them when I decided to draw out the orbs that Kitsune has. I was simply going to use the image I had made.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:These look great! Kitsunebi apparently refers to flames that Kitsune are seen using in Japanese folklore. Learned of them when I decided to draw out the orbs that Kitsune has. I was simply going to use the image I had made.
Ahh. I see. You know I bought a book on Japanese folklore. It was useless.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Howdy! I've been following this topic for a while now and I'm finally throwing my hat in the ring (bear with me throughout as I'll try to use terms established for this game, but I might draw (no pun intended) from any of five other card games I've played). For card Ideas I don't have access to photo editing software (yet!) so for now I'll use plaintext with the formula "Name; Source image; tags; effect; flavor text."

Cards:
Wake Up; Like Wheelchairs At Hospitals panel 4; Trick; Shuffle a field card back into its owners deck; NOT AGAAAAAAAIN!!
Re-Raise; How To Succeed In Temple Crashing panel 5; Equip; When the character card this is attached to would be destroyed, discard this card instead and fully heal the character; Healers work
Divine intervention; Touched By An Angels panel 4; Help; Summon any number of Celestial cards from your deck to the field. After three turns shuffle the summoned cards still on your field back into your deck and take damage equal to the total attack of any in your discard.; I'm gonna have a word with Kitsune about screwing up the souls I let him borrow

Questions:
1. Is the plan for this to be a physical card game, or a digital one?
2. Do cards moved from the field (to the hand, deck, or discard) ever retain any effects like equipment or damage?
3. Will there be any sort of hand size limit?

Suggestions:
1. I like the idea of using species to categorize character cards as it is readily apparent and creates appropriately sized groups. However, some of them I feel are too narrow; There are only two named birds (including Pete), one skunk, and one opossum. I propose creating a "species" called feral or woodland that would include opossums, birds, skunks, squirrels, raccoons, deer, and rabbits. Pete could be reclassified as "Griffin" as he bears no relation to other wild cats and it would put him on par with the also unique dragon.Yes, including Zach in the same group as the opener of ways cult was intentional.
2. Most card games have some sort of metaphor that ties in the different mechanics: in Magic you are a Planeswalker who travels to different planes and uses the lands there to summon creatures to defeat another Planeswalker; in Hearthstone you are a commander of an army on Azeroth in the endless faction wars with your hand representing your character's knowledge or skill and mana representing their level or command ability. When thinking about this game I considered different themes like one that would reward acting out different arcs as a card game but that wasn't fitting together. What I settled on was to draw from the part of the comic that was already a duel, U&U. I'm not saying you play as Pete or Dragon specifically, but some of the rules could be adapted to a card game format. Characters on your field are your avatars, characters in your hand are your followers, and green and hot pink cards are your Personal Power. The one problem was what to do about player life. Pete and Dragon weren't ever attacking each other directly, the goal was to groom the better avatar. I was trying to reconcile this without doing the same thing as Pokémon when Krytus comes along with a The Forgotten Contract. What if, and hear me out, we swap the effect of that card (the middle part) with the normal life rules. This way, attacking directly when your opponent has no avatars is like using your avatar's action to interpose and prevent your opponent from getting some of the remaining characters as followers. This would also make the contract with The Forgotten he protects your potential followers at the cost of your soul. Effects that restore life would shuffle cards from your discard pile back into your deck (depending on balance, healing and damage could use the removed-from-play pile instead of the discard pile).
The cape comes with the promotion.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks for the ideas! Either I will get to them or Fenrir will. Motivation for this is currently focused on one thing, a new card type, but they'll get labor-intensive to make really quickly.

As for your questions:

1. These are just for fun. No plans to make this a viable game at this moment.
2. When a card is removed from the field to the hand, barring card effects, it retains damage. The player will have to keep track of this. When discarded, the equip cards are no longer attached to them. All character cards in the discard pile are to be treated as if they were destroyed in battle.
3. I've mentioned that this is basically a YuGiOh ripoff, so six card hands maximum outside of card effects.

Regarding your suggestions:

1. This was considered when I initially made all of these. Especially since I ended up not having the appropriate species icon for the aforementioned new card type. Still went with this because as you can see, there will be plenty of variants of the same character. For example, Tarot's bird form in the Pridelands Imaginate, there's quite a few images of the what chicken and Trinket and the human disguises for Pete and Dragon. That sort of thing. Still, we'll see what happens in regard to this.
2. Have not played those games, so I didn't have those in mind, but an interesting way to set up a sort of plot to each game. And thing is, I think Krytus is going about his own plans for his own card game idea. I think. We're not truly collaborating on this, I just thought he was sharing his own ideas, which are admittedly more robust and interesting than what I came up with.

Side note, honestly not sure if I'll publicly share this new card type considering their nature.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Cards:
Wake Up; Like Wheelchairs At Hospitals panel 4; Trick; Shuffle a field card back into its owners deck; NOT AGAAAAAAAIN!!
Re-Raise; How To Succeed In Temple Crashing panel 5; Equip; When the character card this is attached to would be destroyed, discard this card instead and fully heal the character; Healers work
Divine intervention; Touched By An Angels panel 4; Help; Summon any number of Celestial cards from your deck to the field. After three turns shuffle the summoned cards still on your field back into your deck and take damage equal to the total attack of any in your discard.; I'm gonna have a word with Kitsune about screwing up the souls I let him borrow.
Image Image Image

Here are some of mine that I've been meaning to do.

Image Image Image
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Looking at the description of Divine intervention, that is a pretty high-risk card. You could take a lot of damage if the opponent was able to get rid of them.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

WOW! That's a lot of great stuff here! Very well done!
fenrirblack wrote:thanks for telling me. Typos happen a lot. Fixed now.
Found three:
"King's outrage" has the word "opponenet's" on it, "Cory" has a "phasae", and "Jessica" should be "Opossum-Basic".

An idea: King (Wedding) and Bailey (Wedding) should gain +1 Attack when they're both on the field (same side), same goes for King (Father) and Bailey (Mother) who could also get another +1 Attack when "Puppy Olice, Ace, and Rook" are in play too who could also gain +1 Heart for each parental card on the field.
Together they're stronger. ^^
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage