A New Era

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Civilization

Re: A New Era

Post by Civilization »

Thanks for the advice Obbl, I'll work on that, I'm still amazed and excited that people are reading...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter 12: Answers

Butch and his team were all sitting around the living room, each one of them eating something extra that they normally don't have. The table held an array of peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, pretty much anything that lasts longer than two years. They were spending most of the nigh swapping stories, Rex found himself digging into the peanut butter jar, Otis looked at him, "Okay, I got a good one." Everyone looked at Otis, "So me and Rex here just started to remove this electrical wire we found, Rex thought it would be a good idea to cut it, let's just say that he still had an electrical charge in him when he cut the wire." Rex stopped eating, "Hey, that's not fair, you shuffled along that rug and poked me as I cut!" Otis looked around, he put his paws up, "I don't know what you're talking about." He pulled off an innocent look. Everyone let out a small laugh as they kept eating.

Outlaw looked at Butch, "So how did a bear end up here?" Butch looked at the ferrets, "Well, I was raised in a zoo, there was no way I'd make it in the wild, so I somehow ended up here when I heard of it." Butch took another thing of honey, "What took you so long to come here?" Bandit and Outlaw looked at each other, "Me and Outlaw were just wondering around, trying to survive day to day, I can't remember where we heard of this place but once we did we spent most of our time looking for it." Cit and Coon looked at each other, "I think we are the only two here besides Baxter and Charlie to be here since the beginning." Bandit turned to them, "Please tell us what that was like." Coon looked at Cit, "Well, when everyone was getting sick, Baxter's owner saw this coming, and since he was super rich, he decided to push to start a place where animals could be safe. Baxter would be put in charge, and thanks to military support, they sent Charlie and his team to provide order." Coon stopped for a moment. "So how did you get in?" Bandit asked. "Well Cit here lived in the neighborhood that used to be here and I was the creature that lived off the neighborhood." "So they just let you both in?" Bandit continued to try and get Coon to continue. "Of course, there was no time to be picky, and only humans decided creatures like me were vermin, now we are needed." Coon puffed up with a sense of pride. Cit playfully punched her arm again, "Oh calm down, miss high and mighty."

They all laughed and continued to swap stories...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Control was sitting down next to Cleo while Shepard and Soap looked around the house some more, it wasn't much but it was something. Cleo looked up from his wheelchair, "Why don't we go see the neighborhood." Shepard walked out from one of the bedrooms, "Sure, why not." Control sighed and took the back of the wheelchair, Mo climbed off of Control and onto Cleo's shoulder, "Adventure awaits!" He said pointing forward and standing like an explorer. Soap opened the front door and together they all went out into the night air. "So what do you think of this place?" Soap asked as they walked by all of the houses. "I don't know, don't care either, I just glad we're together and safe." Control told Soap, "Why, what do you think of this place." "I think it's trying to be something we are not, it's a relic from the past, not a beacon of the future." They all looked at Shepard as he continued walking like as if he said nothing at all. "And why would you say that." Control asked continuing to push Control.

"Look at this," Shepard pointed to all of the houses and walls, "This is more of a human settlement than an animal Sanctuary, walls and houses, pff, isn't that a human thing." He kept walking like it was no big deal. "Why don't seem upset by this?" Control was getting a little worried about how Shepard was acting. "Why should I be, we are trying to hold onto something that is gone, we need to move forward." "And how do you suggest doing that." Shepard stayed quiet, after a few seconds of waiting, "I don't know yet." Control pointed at one of the houses, "Let's go bug them." Soap, thankful for the distraction instantly agreed and knocked on the door. Since no one had time to protest they all gathered around the door. A bear answered the door, "Yes?" everyone sat there quietly except Cleo.

"Hi, we're new here..."
Baxter sat at his desk, thinking everything over. This place wasn't going to last if it kept going the way it was going, to many resources were going into this place and they were not getting enough back out. He was tired, this was his third night without a decent nights rest. He was sure Virgil was probably dealing with the same problems, he out his head down. That trade agreement was going to bring both colonies down, but what else could they do. The room was dark and quiet, but he couldn't bring himself to rest. He had to tell Butch that his team was going to have to go out further and stay at places overnight so that they could get more supplies, and he sent Alpha to the city to see if there was a suitable place to start another colony to divert this influx of animals. He had to see what Virgil thought, he got up and headed off to their communication building.

Virgil was sitting in the Utopia's bridge looking out the windows at the calm night. He was dealing with the same problems as Baxter, animals were not meant to live like humans. Fala walked in behind him, "Baxter wants to talk to you, says it's important." "Thank you." He followed Fala out and headed off to their communications room. He dismissed the animal working there so he could have a private conversation. "Yeah Baxter, what do you want." "Well, I'm pretty sure both you and me know what the problem is." Virgil sighed, Sanctuary was having the same problem. "Yeah, and what can we do about it." There was a long pause, "I was hoping you would know." That was something Virgil didn't want to hear. "Oh, there is no solution, only the eventually decay of civilization until either our kits and cubs or their kits and cubs return to the wild." There was another long pause, "There has to be something we can do." "No, but we can delay it." He told Baxter. "But for how long?" Baxter was sounding more and more restless and nervous.

"I don't know..."
David sat at the computer with Eleanor next to him, Derrick and Alika were busy sitting on the couch doing nothing. When the door opened they all jumped up and paused defeated. There were four dogs and a cat looking at them. They stayed looking at each other in stunned silence for a few minutes. "Well this sucks." Derrick let out. One of the dogs finally found his voice, "You're... You're humans?" They all looked at each other, "Yes?" David told and asked them at the same time. "Shocking isn't it." Derrick said as he sat back down on the couch. "H-How are you still alive?" The dog asked. "How do you think, we've been cooped up in here." David said waving his hands in the air. "Well, I don't know about you but I'm going outside." "Wait for me!" Alika called out as they both ran out of the basement like little kids. Eleanor looked at David, "Well, don't just sit there, let's go." David got up and followed Eleanor out of the basement.

Alpha and his team just watched as the four humans pasted them, he eventually came to his full senses and followed the woman as she passed. The woman looked at him, "Sorry, I know this is a big deal to you, but it is to us too, you'll get your answers eventually. They all made their way out onto the street. "You owe me ten bucks." "Fine." Derrick pulled out a ten dollar bill and gave it to Alika, Derrick turned around, "Wait, do you still use currency?" Alpha looked at them confused, "Er... No." Alika handed back the ten dollars. Eleanor looked at them, "Are you that irony impaired?" They both looked at each other and then at her and shrugged. Alpha pointed down the street, "Er... We have a helicopter, and a community, um... if you would, er... come with us." Eleanor turned to him, "Sure." As they were walking down the road all of them couldn't help see the exchange of a certain ten dollar bill between two people. "Oh, and by the way, I'm Eleanor, that's David, Derrick, and Alika." She pointed to each of them as she said their names. Alpha did the same thing afterwards telling them their names.

"We are going to have a lot to talk about..."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So, they didn't die cause they were cooped up in a room? But then if the virus is still in the atmosphere won't leaving kill them?
Oh well, that's just me, nice chapter.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This chapter is actually very nice! Wonderful job!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 13: Problems

Butch invited the new group of animals inside to join them. "Hi there, who are you?" Bandit said in his most cheerful voice. Control pushed Cleo's wheelchair next to the couch, and introduced the group to them. Butch quickly followed suit and introduced them to this new group. "So, more newcomers, welcome to Sanctuary." Coon let out rather sarcastically. Shepard sat down next to Coon, "Yeah, it's definitely a sanctuary all right." His tone was also rather sarcastic. Cit looked at them, "Great, now we have two downers." "Er... He's not normally like that." Soap tried to defend Shepard. Butch looked at all of them, "Well, it's a party, so enjoy yourselves." The new group grabbed a little bit of what they wanted and took sits or stood where ever there was room. Bandit looked like he was about to ask a question but Cit beat him to it, "So, where you from and how'd you end up here?"

Soap and Shepard looked at each other, "We where staying at a hospital when some military dogs, Alpha I think was one of their names, agreed to take us here." Soap told them, "Think, you sprayed Alpha and probably wrecked his day." Shepard joked to him, "Er... Yeah." Soap put his head down in shame. "Well that's an interesting way to meet, what about you Cleo?" Bandit asked gesturing towards the wheelchair. "Well, I was in space for this whole time." Everyone looked at him, he sat there like he had said nothing at all. "And..." Bandit pushed Cleo to continue, "And after a suicide mission I ended up crashing to Earth, Control came and got me, that same military dog group found us and brought us here." Control and Mo both shrugged as if it were no big deal.

Coon looked at Shepard, "You don't like it here, do you?" "No." Shepard looked out the window, "Why?" Bandit asked. "No, no no, not again, we've already had this discussion." Soap waved his paws in the air. "You see it too, don't you." Coon asked Shepard, "Yep." Shepard looked at his food, no longer hungry. Outlaw looked around at the group, "I see it too." "What!?" Bandit turned to face Outlaw, "What!?" Was all he was able to get out for a second time. "You don't see it, but this place is not for us, animals, there is something off about it." Outlaw said to them all. "This place is trying to make us human." Coon spoke up, "No, it's trying to force human ideas into us, not make us human." Shepard interrupted Coon. "What's the difference?" Bandit was now concerned. "We are animals, meant to be wild, humans change the wild to fit their needs, and had the entire globe to fill their needs, we are continuing this habit in a citywide area, and we don't have the resources to continue." Shepard told the group, Butch spoke up after being quiet for so long, "He's right, I was going to save this but tomorrow we will be heading out further than we have ever been and staying overnight to get more supplies."

They continued to enjoy themselves as the night continued...
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Alpha and his team lead the four humans to the Chinook, "You can fly that?" Alika asked the dogs, "Yes?" Alpha answered, Derrick pulled out the ten dollar bill and handed it to Alika. Cujo looked at them, "How many things did you two bet on?" "They have two years of bets to work out." Eleanor told Cujo. "You were really in that room for two years?" Alpha asked as they boarded the helicopter. "Yeah, give or take a few months." David said, and then sneezed. The other three humans looked at him, "Relax, it's just allergies," He looked at them all, "Wow, thanks for writing me off so quickly." "Er... about that, do you know about that?" Alpha interrupted their conversation. Eleanor looked at him and looked away, "What we could work out is it spreads rapidly and is very contagious, and that the mortality rate is one hundred percent," She paused. "And?" Alpha could pick up on the fact she was hiding something. "Well, every living creature on the planet has it." Cujo looked at the group, "But then we would all be sick." Eleanor continued to look around, "Yes, it is that contagious, but it only seems to effect people." Old Yeller looked at her, "Wait, are you saying that animals are responsible for the human race being wiped out?" Now Eleanor looked right at the dogs. "Yes, if you want to put it bluntly." THey all sat there quietly in the back of the helicopter for a few minutes. David sneezed again.

Alpha and Old Yeller made their way to the cockpit and started up the Chinook. "Well, are there any others?" Lassie asked them. "Yes, there is a group holed up in the CDC and WHO headquarters, and a few others in other countries, can't kill us off that easily." Derrick joked. For the rest of the flight they remained quiet. As they landed at the high school Cujo prepared to run out, "Got to give Charlie the surprise." "Oh boy." Lassie joked as she put her head down. Once the helicopter landed Cujo ran out and towards Charlie. He ran behind Charlie and covered his eyes, "We found something amazing!" Charlie, used to Cujo, played along, "And what did you find Cujo?" The rest of the group exited the helicopter and watched Cujo's show. "Eh, I can't tell you, so I'll just show you." Cujo removed his paws from Charlie's eyes. Once he saw the four humans he paused and remained shocked. Alpha walked over to him, "Shocking isn't it." He tried to act causal but he didn't pull it off, "Well, let's go surprise Sanctuary." Alpha punched Charlie's arm, "Er... Okay." He walked the group to the back of the truck. David sneezed, "Are you sure you're okay?" Alpha asked him, "Yes, I'm fine." David replied irritably.
Charlie and Alpha made their way to the front of the truck after closing up the back. "Wow, what will this do?" Charlie tried to get the right question out but got that. "The same thing we've been doing, just with four humans with us." Charlie looked at Alpha, "It can't be that simple."

"Well, given the situation, it kind of is..."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh no, David is sick! I'm calling it now, he's gonna die, :o
Okay, maybe not die, but somethings gonna hapen.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Don't be so dramatic! He isn't gonna die! Just end up very poorly.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 14: Compromise

Charlie pulled the truck through the gates of Sanctuary, both he and Alpha and walked around back to help everyone else out. Baxter walked over to them, "What did you..." He paused as the four humans stepped out of the back. Alpha turned to him, "That." He pointed over his back to the humans. Baxter stayed quiet, so Alpha turned to his team, "Go on and head home." He waved them on as they were slow to head off. Charlie walked over to Alpha and Baxter, "So what do we do?" Baxter snapped back to attention, "Er... Let them settle in." Charlie looked at them both in surprise, "These are humans we are talking about." Baxter looked at Charlie, "And we still have a community to take care of, right now they are no more special than you are me." Baxter walked over to the humans, "Welcome to Sanct..." David sneezed again. "uary." The motivation in his voice was gone after the sneeze. The other three looked at him, "Allergies." He wiped his nose. "Right, anyway, you'll be given a place to stay as soon as we can figure out what to do with you." Baxter turned and gestured for them to follow, Charlie and Alpha took up the rear of the group.

As they walked by the houses Baxter explained Sanctuary, "As you can see we have built ourselves a fine community, you will be treated just like any other animal, in the morning I will give you your job assignment, you will probably get noticed, that should pass after a while." While Baxter continued to talk to the humans, Alpha looked at Charlie, "You think they'll make it long?" He made sure to whisper. "Given what you told me, no." They both remained quiet for the rest of the trip. Once Baxter lead them to one of the empty houses, he let them in. "Sorry, I know it must be kinda cramped to you, we just never expected people." He turned and left with the other two dogs, "By the way, welcome to Sanctuary."

Once the dogs were gone David sat down on the couch and laid back while Alika and Derrick looked around their new home. After they finished looking around Alika gave Derrick the ten dollar bill. "Now what was the bet?" Eleanor asked sarcastically. "Er... whether or not if we would get welcomed." Alika said sheepishly. David sneezed, then sighed, "What you two do for fun." Derrick looked at David, "Are you sure that is just your allergies." "Yes!" David said irritated. They all just sat around quietly, Eleanor rubbed her hands together, "Well, let's try and get some rest." David remained on the couch while Eleanor got one bed and Alika and Derrick argued over how they were going to sleep in their bedroom.

Meanwhile Baxter was walking with Charlie and Alpha, he turned around, "What did you mean by how long do they have?" Charlie looked away, "Er... they are sick with whatever wiped the human race off the Earth." Alpha spoke up for them. "Oh come on." Baxter threw his paws up in the air and stormed off. "What was that about?" Alpha asked Charlie, "He just remembering bygone days." Charlie walked off leaving Alpha standing there alone. He decided to drop it for now and headed home.

They had a busy day tomorrow...
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone at Butch's party was asleep on the floor or on the couch as the sun rose for the new day. Butch awoke to the door knocking, as he answered he saw Baxter standing there. "Butch, change of plans, you and your team are heading off to the city to prepare a new community." Before Butch could response Baxter walked off, "Get your team over to the depot as soon as possible." Butch closed the door and sighed, everyone was starting to get up. "Looks like we overstayed our welcome." Control joked while stretching. She woke Shepard and Soap up while taking Cleo's wheelchair. They said their goodbyes and left. Butch went around waking everyone else up and cleaning some other stuff up. Once his team was up and awake he explained what Baxter had told him. "Great, now they're kicking us out." Coon said as she got up, "Oh relax, like you ever cared for this place anyway." Cit scolded her.

After a few minutes they were all standing around the depot, Omega, Fox, and a few other animals where there too. Alpha and his team along with Charlie and Baxter walked up to them. "As some of you probably already guessed, both Sanctuary and Utopia are at a breaking point when it comes to resources. You will be sent into the city to try and start a new community." Baxter was walking back and forth, "Hopefully you will be able to do this, we will send supplies to you to get you started, the Utopia will be sending you what it can spare," He paused and looked at them all. "Sorry it had to be you." He turned around and walked off to do other business that needed to be done. Charlie opened up the back of the truck and gestured them to get in, which they all did. Alpha and Charlie walked around to the front and began to drive off to the high school. They stayed quiet for most of the ride, and once they arrived at the high school they loaded up the Chinook with the building supplies they had got and then settled in as Alpha and Old Yeller started up the helicopter.

They began to make their way back to the city...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sanctuary, Utopia, what's next? Haven? I guess I'll have to read to find out. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am really getting more hooked on this as time goes by!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

You guys don't realize how much it means to me that you're still reading...
Chapter 15: Not According to Plan

Eleanor woke up early, she looked out window to watch the sun rise. She walked out to the little kitchen setup, David was still asleep on the couch, he looked worn down, but not sick. Looking through the cabinets she found a store of oatmeal and powdered milk with some water. There was a little gas range oven, so she began to boil the water for the oatmeal. Derrick stumbled out of the other bedroom, coughing into his hand, "Ah man, I owe Alika ten bucks." Eleanor walked over to him and felt his forehead, he was running a low fever. "Certainly are bold." Derrick forced a smile and laugh before coughing again. "You know we'll all get it sooner or later." Alika walked up behind him and cleared his throat. Derrick reached into his pocket and gave him the ten dollar bill. A sneeze from the couch got them all to turn, David wiped his nose, "I really hate allergies." Derrick coughed lightly, David laid back down, "Look who's sick now." Eleanor walked back over to the oatmeal, "Do any of you want any?" Before they could reply there was a knock on the door.

Alika made his way around Derrick and answered it to find Baxter. "Hey," He sneezed into the dog's face, "There." Baxter wiped his face, "Sorry, come in." He walked in and looked at each of them. "We know you know, so just get it out there." David said sitting up on the couch. Baxter had to clear his throat, "Well, given that it looks like you already are sick, there will be a change in plans, you can leave and enjoy your final days, or stay and we here will try and help you through this." The four humans looked at each other, "I guess that means we'll stay." Eleanor said stirring the oatmeal. She was the only one who still seemed fine to Baxter. "Okay, when you're done I'll show you our clinic." He sat down on the couch and discussed what had happened over the last two years while they ate their oatmeal. When they where done Baxter stood up.

"Okay, let's go cause a commotion..."
Soap and Shepard were busy listening to Bersi go on about common problems and treatments they faced at Sanctuary. She showed them around and where everything was. "Are you paying attention?" She asked them more than once. "Yes." They both would reply. After about an hour of that they just sat around, "Is this what it is like most days?" Soap asked looking around. "Yes, but now we've got Cleo to give us something to do," She was interrupted by Baxter walking in, followed by four humans. "WHAT THE!" Baxter raised his arms before they finished, "Yes, they're people." "But there are no more people." Soap said dumbfounded. "Well, looks like we didn't get the message." David said before sneezing. "Yeah, well we're getting it now." Alika patted David on the shoulder. "Wait, they're sick." Bersi got up and headed over to Baxter, "You know we are not prepared for this kind of thing." "Get prepared then," He whispered into her ear, "Good luck then." He said to them all, nodding before he left.

Bersi looked back at her two students, then at the humans. They were all looking at her, "Well, the best we can do is treat it like the flu." She walked to the side room and came out with all sorts of flu medication. She put them on the table and began to sort them out. "Sorry, but we aren't prepared for this." She said to the people, "No problem, neither are we." Eleanor told her kindly. "All we can do is treat the symptoms, you wouldn't happen to know what to expect or if there is any effective treatment against it do you." She stopped sorting the medications and looked at them, they all looked at each other before Eleanor spoke up. "It pretty much is the flu, only way worse at doing it's job, and no, there is no way to treat it once you have it, the CDC and WHO was working on that, but some of the best people at handling this situation were lost looking for answers." Bersi looked back at Shepard and Soap as they looked down.

"Oh, well we'll do what we can..."
Alpha and Old Yeller watched as everyone got out of the Chinook, they both made sure to bring the crossbows just in case they ran into any more surprises. Alpha walked over to Butch, "Well, what's the plan?" Butch looked down to the street and back at the helicopter, "We won't want to be to close to this building that the noise from your helicopter disturbs the peace every time you show up, but not to far away that we can't reach you." He paused and looked at the group, they all looked at each other and nodded in agreement. "Okay, let's show you the city." Cujo said as he lead them down the news station. "It's just me but keeping some animals here to watch the place might be helpful." Alpha told Butch as they made down further into the building. "Maybe, but let's look for a place to settle in first." Alpha and Old Yeller lead the group out onto the sidewalk, most of the others were looking around in amazement, Old Yeller tensed up. "What is it?" Alpha asked before realizing what it was.

Behind some of the abandoned vehicles were other animals, some armed with bow and arrows and other weapons. Little red dots appeared on Old Yeller, Alpha, and the most were on Butch. "Get back." Alpha ordered the group which was still halfway in and out of the building, he and his partner raised their crossbows trying to find all of the threats. A big wolf stepped out into the middle of the street, "No need to be hostile." The wolf put his paws up, Alpha and Old Yeller slowly stepped back to the door as the group made their way back inside. The group stopped as more of this animals appeared from behind them. The wolf dropped his paws, "Come on, get out here, don't be shy." "Okay, we'll come out." Alpha and Old Yeller slowly started to make their way forward scanning the area. "Lower your weapons." The wolf started to take a commanding tone. Other hostile animals slowly made their way to them, Alpha raised his crossbow at them, they raised their weapons. They didn't notice the wolf drop down and charge them, Alpha was on the ground disarmed, Old Yeller turned to help but two cats jumped him. "Had to do this the hard way." The wolf said picking up Alpha, "Now, you, you, and your friends are coming with us." "No, just me and my team, leave the others here." Alpha said wiggling in the wolf's grip.

"Fine," The wolf dropped Alpha and the cats let Old Yeller back up. "Follow me." The wolf made some paw gestures and started walking down the road. Alpha and his team followed while some other animals followed keeping their distance but popping up here and there from time to time. As they walked on they noticed a M3 Bradley sitting in by a gate in a large metal fence. Alpha and Old Yeller glanced at each other at the site of the tank. They walked by it and the gate opened, the wolf continued to lead them down the street. The group looked around, the street was cleared and the buildings on both sides of the road looked redesigned to fit the animals needs. The wolf lead them into one of the buildings, their guards seemed to have vanished, the room they entered looked a lot like what you would see in a throne style room. The wolf gestured for them to stop and kept walking turning around once he reached the throne. "Bow for King Chaz." Alpha looked at his team and nodded. They all bowed as a hedgehog made his way into the room and climbed into the throne.

"Why have you trespassed in The Kingdom yet again..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Now the biggest question is how did a hedgehog gain control over wolves. :D Love it!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And I'm sure he'll have all the answers and more on the next installment!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

and so the plot thickens and more questions arise. Really like this chapter
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 16: Negotiations

Before Alpha could speak up Cujo was already bent over laughing, he looked up at Chaz, and bent over laughing some more. The wolf walked over to him and with one hit dropped Cujo to the floor. Alpha looked down at him, "Cujo, you need to shut up." Cujo rolled onto his side, he was in pain but still kept laughing. "Sorry, sorry." Was all he was able to get out before laughing some more. The wolf picked him up and carried him outside. Alpha looked back at Chaz, "Terribly sorry for his outburst." Chaz looked at them all, "You probably would not be surprised at how often newcomers give that reaction. Now why have you trespassed in The Kingdom yet again." "We didn't know you were here." Chaz sat back in his throne, "Ah, to focused on those humans I suppose." "What, you knew about them!" Alpha took a step forward. "No, not until you came onto our land and took them to where ever you came from. Now, what are you doing here now." Alpha was a little taken aback by the hedgehog's lack of concern or excitement over the matter, but decided to drop it for now.

"We are here to start a new settlement." Alpha said as he took a step back. "Well, you will not be doing that here now will you." "Given the situation I think the leader of Sanctuary and the Utopia will want to speak with you." Chaz sat forward, "And why would I want to speak with them." "These are the leaders of two other communities just like yours," "Community, this is my Kingdom!" The hedgehog interrupted Alpha. "Yes, but it would be beneficial to all of us if we could just work together." "Then you bring them here." Alpha scratched the back of his head. "I don't think I'll be able to do that, you and some of your guards can come back with us." Chaz sat back and thought it over, "Fine, but those others at the television station stay behind." Alpha instantly caught the meaning, "Of course." Chaz jumped down from his throne and quickly made his way to the door, for something so small compared to the dogs he moved incredibility fast. As they walked outside the wolf was standing by a battered Cujo. Alpha shook his head, "Cujo, you've got to learn when to shut up." Chaz walked over to the wolf, the wolf bent down to allow Chaz to climb up to his shoulder.

"Well, let's get going..."
Butch and the others sat around the television station, everyone was more relaxed now that Alpha had left and the situation was being resolved. He walked over to Omega, who seemed more distraught than normal, "What's the matter." The wolf shook his head "Nothing." Butch shrugged and walked over to one of the guards, another wolf, "So where exactly are you animals from." This wolf tensed up as Butch got near, "The Kingdom." "And that is..." Butch was trying hard to pass the time. "The land in and around the city, ruled by King Chaz." "And he is..." The wolf was starting to get annoyed with the questions, "The king of The Kingdom." Butch decided not to keep pushing the wolf, so he nodded and went back over to his team. Bandit looked up as Butch arrived, "So, do you know anything about these animals." "No, do you Cit, Coon." They all looked over to the cat and raccoon, they both shook their heads no.

A few minutes later Alpha walked through the door and right up to Butch, "Well." "Well, you're going to have to stay here while me and my team take King Chaz to go sort things out at home." Butch looked down at the dog, "What, what do I tell everyone else." Alpha walked off to the staircase, "The truth." Butch watched as the rest of the Alpha's team went by along with two wolves and a hedgehog. He noticed all the other guards stand at attention as the hedgehog on the wolf went by. After they left Butch turned to the group, "Well, we're going to be stuck here for awhile." Everyone sighed and lumped down into sitting positions.

They all listened to the helicopter leave...
Charlie was making his way around the walled perimeter again, and like always nothing seemed to change there at least. He looked up at the sky, it was already almost midday. His mind started to wonder about what Alpha would find this time at the city and what Virgil was dealing with and all their other problems. He snapped back to attention as Vix ran up to him calling his name, "Alpha needs to talk to you." With that he ran off to their communication room with the fox close behind. He burst into the room to find Control and Mo sitting there, "Hey there, Alpha waiting on you." Control told him as she picked up Mo and began to leave. Once they were gone he sat down and picked up the radio, "What did you find now." "A kingdom." Alpha replied, "What." "A large community like Sanctuary in the middle of the city ruled by a king." Charlie shook his head, "Okay, and what can I do about it." "Well, their king is pretty upset with us for trespassing, twice, and well, let Baxter know we're coming and then get that leader of Utopia, we'll settle it together." Charlie paused, "The stuff you find, I'll get on that." "And hurry, we're on our way." Charlie got up and left nodding at the cat and fox as he left.

Luckily he found Baxter sitting in his office, "Uh, Alpha found another problem." Baxter looked up at him, "Of course, now what." "Well, they ran into a community like ours in the city that is ruled by a king and is called a kingdom, they apparently they were trepassing, and now they're on there way here to sort everything out." Charlie paused, out of breath. "What can I do about it." Baxter asked while Charlie straightened himself back up. "Alpha thinks you and Virgil can sort something out when their king gets here." Baxter shook his head, "Okay, go get Virgil." Charlie nodded and ran off to the depot, he climbed into his truck and started to drive off.

He would now get to see what Virgil was dealing with...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Virgil was out on the deck of the ship hosting a celebration, today was today that the class of kits and cubs got their new jobs aboard the ship. He had just finished going through the speech and assigning the jobs that they had trained for. Everyone was out on the unfarmed part of the deck celebrating. Virgil sat near the side of the ship leaning on the railing. Fala walked over to him. "What's the matter." She sat next to him on the railing. "You know what the matter is." She shoved him playfully, "Relax, today is the day we get to have fun, worry about it tomorrow." Virgil looked down at the water, "And how many days should tomorrow be this time." Fala turned around and started to walk back to the group, "Well if you're going to be no fun." He watched as Charlie's military truck pulled into the dock area, then as Charlie got out and ran to the Utopia. Once Charlie got to Virgil he was panting, Fala noticed Charlie's arrival and walked back over, "Hey Charlie, what is it now." Charlie caught his breath again, "Virgil, you need to come with me, it's important."

Virgil looked at Fala, "Now really isn't the time." "Well Alpha found another community like ours, and they've got a problem with us and we need you to help us sort it out." Virgil looked at Charlie, "What." Charlie threw up his paws and let them drop, "Come with me and I'll tell you along the way, we are running out of time." Virgil looked at Fala, "I might need you with me this time," He looked back at Charlie, "So she's coming too." "Fine, let's go." He made his way back down to the docks with Virgil following, Fala ran up to them a few seconds later after telling the raccoon in charge of the subdecks that he was in charge. Charlie opened the passenger side door to help Virgil and Fala in before getting into the driver's seat himself. He drove off to Sanctuary, once they arrived Baxter was waiting for them. Charlie and Baxter helped the two otters out of the truck. "Is what Charlie here telling me true." "Yes." Baxter replied to Virgil's question before leading them off to the town hall. Charlie climbed back into his truck,

He had one more group to pick up...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"All hail, the terrifying... KING CHAZ!" Yeah, I would topple over laughing too, :D -> :P

Also, I so am shipping Virgala right now, if you don't mind.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You aren't the only one that is. :D
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hey, hey, Civ! :D There's this new invention called "question marks". They're really useful for telling people when a character is asking a question instead of making a statement. :P

I am certainly curious about Chaz. How will he respond?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess we have to wait for the next installment.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Question marks, hmm, that should be an easy fix. I realize now that I do this to make everyone else's work look better.
Chapter 17: Full House

Charlie pulled the truck up onto the football field. He got and and ran to the back to open it up as he watched the Chinook start to land. Once the helicopter landed he ran up to the back of the helicopter to greet Alpha. He watched as two wolves walked by him without them giving him a second glance. Alpha and Old Yeller walked up to him next as the others lead the wolves to the back of the truck. "What happened?" "A lot." Alpha said and then walked on with Old Yeller. Charlie followed them and helped the others into the truck. Once everyone was in Alpha and Charlie walked around to the front of the truck and got in. Charlie glanced at Alpha before starting up the truck, Alpha appeared really distressed.

"So what happened?" Charlie asked once they started driving. "We went right into their territory, and now we have an entire team stuck there." Alpha sounded as if he was beating himself up, he just kept looking out the window. "Don't worry about that right now, which one of those wolves was the king?" "The hedgehog, goes by King Chaz." Charlie glanced over again to make sure he was not joking. He had noticed a hedgehog on one of the wolves' shoulders, "Really." He chuckled a little bit. "Yes, and be sure not to laugh in front of them, Cujo learned that the hard way." They stayed quiet for the rest of the trip until they reached the gates of Sanctuary. "Welcome home." Alpha smiled at Charlie's joke reference.

Charlie pulled the truck through the gates and parked next to the depot. "Alpha, I'm going to need you to meet me at the town hall." "Okay, is Baxter and that leader of Utopia ready?" Charlie climbed out of the truck, "Hopefully." They both walked around to the back, a lone weasel stood there, Charlie nodded and the weasel ran off in the town hall's direction. Charlie opened up the back of the truck, the two wolves climbed out without any help and walked a few paces away as Alpha and Charlie helped the rest of the team out. "Let your team get some rest." He whispered to Alpha. They nodded to each other before Charlie walked off to the wolves, "If you would please follow me." Alpha and his team watched as the others made their way off. "Did they say anything?" "No." They all replied to his question. "Okay, well go home, get some rest." He began to walk off, "Are you sure you don't need help." Cujo called out. "You've helped enough Cujo, now go home." He watched as they all walked off in the direction of their home before heading off to the town hall.

Charlie was sitting outside the town hall with the weasel, "There you are, I was hoping you wouldn't be late." Charlie opened the door for Alpha to walk in. "Make sure no one bothers us." Charlie said to the weasel, he nodded as the door closed. Charlie lead Alpha into the back room. Baxter was sitting on one side of the table while the wolf with King Chaz on his shoulder sat across from them, the other wolf stood over by the back wall. Virgil and Fala sat on the side of the table between them on the opposite side of the door. Charlie pulled up two more chairs and they sat at the empty side of the table. Baxter waited for them to sit down before holding out his paw to the wolf, "It is a pleasure to meet you King," The hedgehog walked down the wolf's arm, "King Chaz." Baxter pulled back his paw, "Oh." He glanced over to Charlie and Alpha.

King Chaz stopped in the middle of the table, "What do you want in my city?" Baxter lowered his head down to the hedgehog's level, "What makes it your city?" Virgil looked at Baxter, "Baxter." Baxter looked at him, "He has my animals, and I can't have that." The hedgehog walked up to Baxter, "I can't have your animals in my Kingdom." "Then let them go." The hedgehog turned around and walked back to the wolf, "Why?" "Well, why do you need to hold them?" Virgil asked. "Because your friends here have trespassed on my Kingdom, and they've done it twice now." Baxter hit his paw against the table, "How were we suppose to know you where there!?" The wolf sat up, the hedgehog gestured to the wolf and he at back down. "You were not suppose to know, you got one free pass and even got to take something out." The hedge turned to Alpha, "How are those humans doing anyways?"

Virgil and Fala looked at each other, "Baxter, what is he talking about?" Baxter lowered his head, "Alpha found four humans during the first trip to the city." Virgil stood up in his chair, "And you didn't tell us!" "No!" Baxter snapped at Virgil, he sat back in his chair, Charlie leaned forward and put his paw on Baxter's shoulder. "Why did you bring that up?" Alpha said looking at the hedgehog. He showed a smirk before turning back to Baxter, "Why don't you bring them here to see what's become of the world's new great leaders." They all got the message in the way he said that. "Charlie, go get them, try not to attract too much attention." Charlie nodded, got up and left. "Now, can we get back to the situation at hand." Baxter said to the others. "Yes, you can tell me what you want on my Kingdom?" The hedgehog looked at him inquisitively. "Look, both Sanctuary," Baxter waved his paw around the room, "And Utopia," He then nodded to Virgil, "Are failing to thrive, we think the city would be a great spot to set up a new community." "No." The hedgehog quickly answered. "It wasn't a question." "And my answer wasn't up for debate." Once again they were in each other's faces. "Please, don't be like this Baxter." Virgil said after an awkward pause. "Why?" "Why, why, you are about to take us to war because you didn't get something you want." Baxter turned to Virgil, "We need those resources." Virgil sat back again with a hurt look on his face, "I'm glad to know if I said no all those times you would have just taken it." Baxter lowered his head, "I didn't mean that." "No, you did."

They sat there quietly, "What do you want." Baxter finally said to the hedgehog. "I want you to leave us alone, never come back." "We can't do that." Baxter was remaining calm this time. "Look, we know you have a lot of resources, but their has to be something you lack, even not, we can still work together." The hedgehog looked at the otter, "Well at least someone here speaks with sense, what do you propose." Alpha and Baxter sat back at the King's sudden change in attitude. "Well, you probably have a lot of resources, but not a lot of workers, we both face the opposite problem." Virgil put his paws on the table, the hedgehog looked back at the wolves, "Okay, were are you going with this?" "Well, Baxter already has a group in your area, let them set up where ever they landed and we will send you workers for your food and other supplies, you'll even get some of our supplies that you don't have." Baxter crossed his arms, "I can work with that if you can."

Just then Charlie walked in with the four humans following behind, "Well, they're here." Charlie told them all and sat back down. Virgil and Fala both looked like they were going to lose their minds, "Yes, shocking isn't it." David said before sneezing. Alika and Derrick exchanged the ten dollar bill again. "You weren't kidding." Virgil said after the shock had passed. "No, he wasn't." Alpha told the two otters, still surprised that the wolves or the hedgehog didn't share in the shock. The hedgehog turned back to Baxter, "So how can I trust you if you still hide stuff from your closest ally?" Baxter stayed sitting back, it was finally hitting him that this was all his plan, he didn't know how the hedgehog knew, but he was cornered now. "You can't." "Ah, finally we get some truth out of you, you're just like a human politician, you know that." The hedgehog was walking back and forth on the table, he turned to the humans, "So what do you think of how your society turned out?" They all looked at him, "Does that really matter?" Eleanor spoke up. "No, just giving these two some time to figure out their next move." He shook his paws and put on a friendly face. "Well, it's not so different from our own." Derrick said. "Exactly, and this is why you find these two leaders failing while I hold the cards." Baxter gestured towards Charlie, he nodded and lead the humans out of the town hall.

"How exactly did you end up in charge of," Fala gestured to the wolves. "Excellent question, there is a story behind that." The hedgehog walked over to where Fala was sitting, he turned to Baxter and Virgil's side of the table, "This would be an excellent time for you two to work something out too." He winked and looked back at Fala. "Before all of this mess I lived with the owner the city zoo, when the plague came there was no one left to free the animals, so I went through and freed the animals and showed them were the food was and how to survive in the city. Some left, others stayed and with the help of the city animals we were able to take control of one of the old quarantine zones. Then with the help of the zoo animals," The hedgehog paused and nodded at the wolves, "I was made King."

While the hedgehog told his story Baxter and Virgil leaned close to each other, "Anything else you are hiding from me." Virgil asked full of scorn. "No, he's laid out the cards, now he wants us to tear each other apart, just go with your idea." Virgil looked at Fala, she was to interested in the hedgehog's story. "Fine." They both sat back upright as the hedgehog finished his story, Chaz turned to them, "By the way, how's Butch and Omega doing?" "What?" Baxter let out, wondering just how much this creature had on him and Sanctuary. "You know, they both came from the zoo my owner owned." Baxter knew about Butch's past, but not Omega's. "They are just fine and happy to be apart of Sanctuary." The hedgehog dusted himself off, "Pity they don't see you like I do, otherwise they would have just kept on walking." "Can we get back to the original issue." Virgil interrupted before Baxter lost his cool again. The hedgehog turned back to Virgil, "Yes, right, I have no qualms with you, and yes I would be happy to trade with your Kingdom." Virgil scratched the back of his head, "It's a boat." "Lovely, and what would you be willing to trade, when, and how?" Alpha now understood why King Chaz was so friendly to the two otters, and understood that this King was not one to be crossed, especially with the help of those wolves. Virgil nodded towards Baxter, "Me and Baxter here, we trade food and water, now I can provide water and oil to your Kingdom, but my community needs food, now I have a few animals that I can spare that would be happy to help your Kingdom in their own special way, but I need Baxter's military team," He paused and nodded to Alpha, "To deliver these supplies to your city."

King Chaz thought this over, "That is very reasonable, I can provide all the food and medicine your community needs." He turned to Baxter, "Same goes with you, but I need something out of you." Baxter leaned forward, "We can provide building supplies and willing animals, you already have the first group, and I'll have Alpha here deliver both Virgil's and my supplies." The hedgehog turned around and walked back up the wolf's outstretched arm and onto his shoulder. "We have a deal, but I'm watching you Baxter," He looked at Virgil, "I look forward to our newfound alliance," Then he looked at Alpha, "And I look forward to seeing you in the future, on more friendly terms of course." They all got up out of their chairs. Charlie walked back in, Alpha walked over to him, "Good timing, we are leaving." Charlie turned around and they lead the two wolves out back to the truck. Baxter, Virgil, and Fala all stayed behind.

"So how long do you think this will last..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Chaz got the skills when it comes to talking. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind having him around if needed!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 18: Alliance

As Charlie lead the two wolves back to the depot Alpha made a quick detour back to his house. He walked as quickly as possible, once he got home he slowed down. Everyone was sitting in the living room area when he walked in. "How'd it go?" Cujo asked as soon as Alpha closed the door, "It's not over," He looked at Old Yeller, "Hey, I need you with me," He looked at the rest of them, "And you all stay here." "What!?" Cujo sat up in alarm, "We've never done that before." "Well, we're doing it now." Old Yeller got up and walked by him, he turned and followed him out the door. Once they were outside and walking away Old Yeller looked at Alpha, "How bad was it?" "Baxter got it handed to him on a silver platter." Old Yeller frowned, "What about that fellow from Utopia?" "He got off with no problems." Old Yeller caught the meaning, "Oh, were does that leave us?" "I don't know, that's why it'll just be me and you." Old Yeller laughed, "Out of our entire team, you picked me to go with you into the hedgehog's den." "Yes, you're the only one capable of assisting me in flying there." They both approached the depot with Charlie waiting for them. After Old Yeller climbed into the back Charlie closed it up and walked with Alpha to the front. Once Charlie started the truck and started driving he looked over at Alpha, "Really, just Old Yeller?" "Yes." Charlie glanced over again, "Why, we don't know that King Chaz or his Kingdom?" "Exactly, and right now we need to look like we trust them." Charlie just nodded and kept on driving, Alpha watched the sun begin to set on the horizon.

They arrived at the football field a few minutes later, Charlie got out with Alpha and walked around to the back, they helped Old Yeller out and watched as the wolves both climbed out on their own. No one said anything as Alpha lead them into the Chinook, Alpha turned to watch Charlie go back to his truck and lean on the door, he waved and Alpha waved back before walking into the Chinook. The wolves and the hedgehog remained quiet as Alpha walked past, once he was in the cockpit he and Old Yeller started up the helicopter. Once the noise from the helicopter was loud enough to cover their conversation, "Did they say anything to you?" Alpha asked looking over as they took off. "No, it was eerie, like we spent the whole time trying to get a read on each other or something."

"Well, let's get back to the others soon then..."
Butch and the rest of them were still confined to the news station, not much was said or done while they waited for Alpha to return. As the sun started to go down they all perked up when the sound of a helicopter started coming to them. A few minutes after the sound of the helicopter died down the two wolves walked by them, the hedgehog on one of their shoulders gestured to the guards. The guards looked at each other and then followed them out. Alpha and Old Yeller walked down behind the wolves but waited for the guards to leave. Once they were gone Alpha spoke up, "Okay, here's the run down, we are now allies with King Chaz and this Kingdom." He paused as everyone looked at each other. "Now, you will be allowed to set up base here, those at Sanctuary and Utopia will send supplies here for you and for trade, the Kingdom will do the same." He paused again as the group murmured to each other, "And, you'll be helping the Kingdom build up and out." There was another murmur in the group. "Look, I know this is a lot to take in especially after the welcome we got, but this is how it's going to be, and we still have the starting supplies in the helicopter, you can go get it and start setting up here."

Old Yeller lead the group of animals back up the stairs, before Butch could follow Alpha stopped him. Before Butch could say anything Alpha went over and stopped Omega and brought him back over to Butch. Alpha looked at them both, "I know you both know King Chaz from the past, I don't care about your loyalty, I want to know want you know about this Chaz fellow." Butch realized now why Omega looked uncomfortable when they were under guard. "Well, how much did he tell you?" Butch asked. "He told us that he released both of you, and that you both left after some disagreement." Omega snickered, "Ha, he released us after we agreed to help him, used every trick to get us to say yes." "And why did you say yes?" Omega shuffled his feet, "I didn't, after a while he released us all, probably to make himself look better." Alpha looked at Butch for confirmation, he shook his head yes. Alpha rubbed his paw over his snout. "What else can you tell me about him." "He always seems to have information on everything, and he knows how to use it to his advantage." Butch said and shrugged. "That I saw, well is there anything you know about the Kingdom itself." "It is an old quarantine site, had plenty of supplies, and a good perimeter. With the help of the wolves and other strong zoo animals that Chaz fellow was able to attract those in the city that didn't know what to do." Butch explained to Alpha. "How were you able to leave?" "Well, Omega was one of the first to leave, I left soon after, Chaz just let us go." "Yeah, but probably to keep his image of being a wise and fair ruler." Omega finished were Butch wanted to go. They paused as the sound of the group returning got louder, "Thank you." Alpha said before the group walked into the room.

Old Yeller walked up to Alpha, "Ready to go..."
Baxter looked at Virgil and Fala, then at the setting sun. They remained quiet as they sat looking over the wall. "Sorry." Baxter finally said looking over at Virgil, he looked over at him, "Yeah, you've said that already." "Because I am, but you have to realize why I did it." Baxter looked back over to the sun set. "Yes, but." Virgil paused, "But what?" "I don't know, this has been an interesting day." Baxter laughed, "It's been an interesting day for the past week." "Yes, yes it has." They paused to continue taking in the sunset. "So what is like to have what could possibly be the last humans in Sanctuary?" "I don't know, confused, I guess that would be the word." They both laughed. "What do you think of that King Chaz?" Baxter asked the two otters. "Eh, I don't know, he seems like he knows what he is doing." Fala looked over at Baxter and Virgil, "I wouldn't trust him if I were you." They both looked over at her and nodded. "So how are you doing in supplies?" Baxter asked. "Well, given what we have to trade with you and the Kingdom, we'll be pretty stretched, what about you?" "The same."

They watched as Charlie drove back up in his truck, "Well, there's your ride." Baxter said and turned around and lead the two otters down to the depot. Charlie jumped out and ran over to the back of the truck and opened it up. Baxter and Charlie helped the two otters into the back, Virgil looked back down over the side, "Hey, we're having a celebration on the Utopia, want to join us." Baxter rubbed his eyes, "Thanks, but I really need to get some sleep." He waved and walked off to the to hall. Charlie closed up the back and after getting into the front and starting up the truck again he drove off to the Utopia. After another few minutes of driving he arrived at the docks. After helping the two otters out of the back of the truck he watched them walk off. Virgil turned around, "Hey, our offer still stands." Charlie's tail wagged, "Sure, I would love to join you." He followed them onto the ship. Fala walked off to go tell a certain raccoon that he was relieved of duty. Virgil looked around and then at Charlie, "It's a graduation party, next generation of animals to go out into what remains of the world." Virgil smiled and walked off, Charlie stood there and looked around himself, Fala called him over to come join her and a group of kits and cubs.

He had a hour or two to kill before he needed to be anywhere special...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Another chapter! T'was a fine read, and the atmosphere is set. It has that feeling that'll be ending soon, but that's okay, it all feels like it's lead up to this and we've been preparing for it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I agree with that! I can feel it ending soon!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

An ending, okay, guess I could cut the next like, ten chapters down to two and just end it...
Chapter 19: Kingdom Come

Charlie stood there listening to Fala talk about how life on the Utopia was going, he was zoning in and out trying to stay awake. Virgil walked up next to him and took him over to the side of the ship. They both sat against the railing looking out onto the ocean's horizon. "You know, we might just end up leaving." Virgil finally said. "What?" Charlie wasn't sure if he zoned out or not. "Yeah, with the Kingdom and our supplies so low, there is a general agreement we might have been better off leaving." "Wait, when did everyone hear about the Kingdom?" Virgil looked over to him, "Oh they haven't, this is just what they know now, and tomorrow when they hear about what has just taken place, I don't know what they'll decide." "Virgil, you can't leave, without you who knows what will happen." Virgil looked out at the sea again, "We already know what will happen, it's going to happen, and would have happened, no matter what happens now." Charlie shook his head, "No, there has to be a way." "Charlie, look around you, look what has happened, it is only going to get worse." Charlie nodded off, Virgil pushed him, "Look, you're already pushing yourself ragged." "Yeah, well someone has to make sure things last."

They didn't notice Fala behind them, "That's Baxter's job Charlie." She walked up next to Virgil, "Now, Charlie, don't you have somewhere you are suppose to be." Charlie tried to remember what he had to do, it was really late and he was still really tired. "Ah, I got to go get Alpha, if you would excuse me." Virgil walked off towards the docks, Fala turned to Virgil, "Can't you ever see the bright side." Virgil continued to look out at the sea, "No, there are too many problems and only one so simple solution." "You want it to happen don't you." Virgil turned and walked up to Fala, "I don't want it, I've just accepted it." "Yeah, and your leaving Baxter and Charlie and the rest of them to keep on fighting." Virgil paused and thought everything over, "What can we do?" "What we said we were going to do, and do it to the very end." They both turned and faced what was the rest of the celebration. "Okay, let's get some rest." Then together they both ended the celebration and watched everyone leave the deck before they too left to go get some sleep.

Charlie drove to the high school field, he sat behind the wheel listening to the noiseless air. He nodded off to sleep for a few minutes before the sound of the Chinook landing woke him from his dead sleep. He got out and made his way up to Alpha and Old Yeller. "Hey, how did it go." Alpha gave a puzzled look, "We don't really know." "Figures," He nodded off again before snapping back awake, "Hey, can one of you drive." He watched as they looked at each other, "Come on, you can fly but can't drive." Alpha shrugged, "Okay, I guess I can try." This time they all crowded into the front, Alpha did what he saw Charlie do and started the truck. Charlie talked Alpha through how to drive before falling asleep on Old Yeller, "And he says he's military." Old Yeller joked once Charlie was out. Alpha laughed a little but was too nervous trying to drive a military vechice to relax enough. Once they got to Sanctuary Alpha was able to pull the truck in and park it, this time no one was waiting for them to arrive, "Heh, Baxter must have been very tired too." Alpha said as they exited the truck. Old Yeller carried Charlie, "Where does he live?" "You know, I don't know, let him crash with us tonight." They walked off to their home, when they arrived they found everyone else asleep in the living room. Alpha and Old Yeller looked at each other and giggled at each other, Old Yeller put Charlie on the couch next to Cujo.

"Well, good night..."
Butch and Omega woke early to watch the sun rise over the city, they spent most of the night clearing the television station and repurposing it to fit their needs. "So, looks like we ended back up here." Butch said turning to Omega, "Yeah, I'm surprised you never recognized me." "I only saw you twice, how was I suppose to know." Omega turned to Butch, "You weren't, but since we both know what Chaz is like... We'll just have to keep an eye out." They both looked out and scanned the street, "Eh, well, when we head into that little kingdom of his we'll see what it's like there." Omega stopped looking around, "What?" "We will be trading with them, someone is going to have to take the supplies there." Butch looked over at Omega again, "And some of us are those trade goods, so I say me and you go in there with some others." "Who do you suggest go live there, with him, for however long this'll be." Butch looked back at the front door, "That fox and the farming team, you and half of the team of builders, and me, my team is just misfits for salvaging, so they can stay here and see what they can find here." "Okay, and when do we do this?" Butch turned around and walked back inside, "Now."

Omega turned and watched Butch go inside, a few seconds later the wolf that greeted them when they arrived appeared with a few others. "Ready?" The wolf asked him. "In a second." They sat looking at each other in awkward silence. Butch came out with the others, "Ready." They were carrying a few boxes of building supplies. "Is that all you brought?" The wolf asked as they started to go off. "Well, given the fact we haven't got anything from the Kingdom, this is a great deal for you." Butch told them, "Okay, that's fair." After walking down some city blocks they arrived to the gates of the Kingdom, two dogs opened the gates for them as the walked up to them. As the walked inside the dogs closed the gate, another wolf walked up to them, this one with King Chaz on his shoulder. "Welcome, I trust you know what you are doing, we look forward to a prosperous relationship, if you would please tell me, what are your specialties?" Butch stopped the group, "Well, them over there are excellence at farming, and the rest of us are good at building." He gestured to each half of the group as he said what they were good at. Chaz clapped his paws together, "Excellence, you can go with him," He gestured the farming group to one of the wolves, "And you can go with him." He gestured to one of the dogs behind the group. "Now, I hope you'll enjoy it here." The wolf carrying Chaz turned and walked away.

Butch watched as Fox and a few others were lead down the street, the dog walked up from behind them and cleared his throat, "Um, right, please follow me." The dog lead them down the same street but turned down a different one at one of the intersections. "Just how big is this place?" Butch asked looking around. "A few city blocks, we've been working hard clearing out this buildings and streets and repurposing them, but it takes awhile without the help or materials." The dog told them as they walked into one of the buildings. "This is where we keep everything stored." A cat sat across the room, she looked up and nodded to the dog before drifting off again. "Now, what do you have with you?" Butch turned around and faced the group, they put their boxes down and looked in them. "Mostly stuff used in building like hammers and nails, but we did have some left over wood planks and metal sheets." The dog looked at the boxes and then up at the ceiling, "Okay, you can leave those here for now, we're still clearing out some of these big buildings that we just incorporated into the main Kingdom." Butch looked at his group and then at the dog, "Okay, lead on then."

The wolf lead Fox's group down the street until they saw another gate, the street was cut into sections perpendicular to the sidewalk with wooden boards the held dirt in place. "This is our little farm right here." Fox looked up and down the city block, "This is it?" "Yes, we don't have a need for growing food with all that there is to be found in the Kingdom." "Oh, and who is in charge of this?" A raccoon walked up to them, "I am." The wolf nodded to the raccoon and walked off. "Well, nice to meet you, we're here to help." "Ah, and how can you help." Fox looked up at the sky, then down on the street, "For one, we'll move your farm here to," Fox pointed up at the buildings, "To up there." "Why?" The raccoon asked. "You won't get any good plants down here, when the sun is shining up there," Fox looked at the dirt, "Besides, might as well do it now before you waste your time planting stuff down here."

Both groups were going to have a lot to do today...
Baxter woke up with a sneeze. He got up and looked outside, it was late morning, he still had a lot he had to do. First he went to the clinic to see how Bersi was doing. He walked in and found Bersi, Shepard, Soap, and the four humans sitting there. "How's it going?" Bersi asked when she noticed Baxter sitting in the doorway. "Just seeing how our special guests are doing." They all looked pretty terrible, except David, he just appeared ticked off. Alika looked up from his laying down position on the floor, "Terrible." Derrick was laying next to him on the floor, "I agree." Shepard looked at them and laughed. "Yeah, they're sick and feel terrible, but as soon as they run out of stuff to bet on things are finally terrible." Alika handed the ten dollar bill to Derrick, "No, we haven't." As soon as Derrick had the ten dollar bill he said, "Now we don't." Bersi got up and walked over to Baxter, they went outside, "So how are things really?" "Eh, as expected, I don't know how long they will last." Baxter sneezed again. "Whoa there, take it easy, we don't need any more sick around here." "Yeah, I work on that." Baxter said and walked off.

Next he checked up on Vex and the others at the communication room, "Hey there." Vex said went they saw him, everyone seemed to have a greeting for him. "Hey, any word from, well, anybody." "Virgil radioed in, said everything was fine." Baxter looked at them "Well, make sure Virgil knows Charlie is coming to drop off and pick up the trade supplies." "Okay." Baxter nodded and left, they would have to get the supplies out to Butch so he could have them stay in contact with Sanctuary and Utopia. He made his way over to Alpha's home next since Charlie wasn't asleep in the town hall with him. He wasn't really surprised when Alpha let him in to find Charlie there, "So, what do you need?" Alpha asked closing the door behind him. "Just came to ask how last night went." "Eh, we don't really know, Butch took over the situation and Chaz didn't say anything to us." Baxter looked at them, "Oh well, you'll be heading out there again today, Charlie will take you over Utopia to trade goods and then you will take the rest to Butch at the Kingdom." Alpha clapped his paws together, "Okay, let's get ready for another long day." Baxter laughed and left them to get ready.

He made his way over to the depot to make sure everything was ready...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really great job on this chapter and how it came out!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Long, But totally worth it
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 20: Sanctuary Down

Charlie and Alpha and his team made their way over to the depot after eating and cleaning up. Old Yeller sneezed as they made their way up to Baxter. Baxter watched as they walked up, "Hope your ready for this long day ahead of us." Charlie noticed some other animals over by some building supplies, so he waved them over to the back of the truck and opened it up for them. "Anything we should know?" Alpha asked Baxter, "Nothing new that you already don't know." "Okay." They stood there looking around waiting for Charlie watching as the small group of animals load supplies into the truck. "So can we keep up with this demand?" Old Yeller asked. Baxter looked back at him, "Supplies, maybe, but giving up creatures that could be here, no." "Then why did you agree to do what you did?" Alpha asked knowing what happened at the meeting. "Because I know how that Chaz fellow will be, and I know of Butch's past, and I know Butch will do what is best." Alpha didn't like the way Baxter said the last part, but before he could think about it Charlie walked up to them, "Ready to go." Baxter looked at Charlie and nodded, "Okay, I've got some stuff I have to do." They watched as he walked off, before they went to the back of the truck they noticed Baxter sneeze. Charlie closed up the back of the truck after Alpha's team got in and like routine they got into the front and drove off to Utopia.

Charlie looked over at Alpha, "So how did you like driving?" "I didn't." Charlie laughed, "Oh please, what, not exciting as a helicopter." "No, and flying is not exciting, working human equipment is a pain." Charlie wiggled in his rigged seat of books, "Your telling me." Alpha looked out over the edge of the window at all the buildings and small shops they were passing, "You guys ever clear out this buildings between Sanctuary and Utopia?" "Yeah, one of the first things we did when the Utopia arrived." Alpha looked at Charlie, "Arrived?" "Yeah, what, you thought it was here from the beginning?" Charlie smiled and shook his head back and forth. Alpha kept looking at him, "You've never told us how either of these places came to be." "Oh, I guess I haven't, not enough time I guess." Alpha looked out the window again, "There's time right now." "I'll assume that's right. Okay," Charlie told Alpha about how Baxter's owner prepared Sanctuary and used his ties to bring in military support and how they set up the place. Alpha nodded taking it all in, "What about Utopia?" Charlie pulled the truck up to the docks, "Sorry, my assumption was wrong, maybe next time." Virgil stood by Fala and some other animals with their supplies.

Virgil walked up to them after they finished their routine of getting everyone out of the truck. "I hope this is just for the Kingdom, because that's all I can spare for now." They all looked at the supply of crates and oil barrels, there was just enough for a few days supplies if properly rationed. "It's your lucky day then, because your right." Charlie told him while Alpha's team helped the Utopians load their supplies. "We'll be back with your share of goods hopefully later today." Charlie continued, Fala sneezed before she could say anything, once she refocused she looked at Alpha, "Sorry but we've never gotten each other's names." Alpha held out his paw, "Yeah, sorry, last time wasn't a good time, I'm Alpha." Fala shook his paw, "Well I'm Fala and that's Virgil." She pointed to him with her free paw. Charlie walked next to Virgil, "So how did last night go." Virgil looked up at him, "It seemed to relight some hope, so we're still staying." "That's good." Old Yeller walked up to them and wiped his nose, "Time for part two." Charlie and Alpha both said their goodbyes and got back into the truck. Once they started driving again Alpha looked at Charlie, "Well, it's next time now." Charlie laughed, "You are one curious little pup aren't you." "Yeah, just last night you were asleep like a pup so you have no leverage on me." Charlie frowned but the edges of his face showed a smile, "Okay, Utopia, so after a few months of setting up Sanctuary and getting everything set, we get a radio call from some ship, just like when you contacted us." Charlie paused as he focused back on the road to avoid some other vehicles. "Anyway, I don't know if Virgil's story is true or not, but according to him he was a pet of the captain of the ship and knew how to work it, he and a few other pets used the ship to head down the coast picking up others in other cities along the coast. Then when they ended up here they decided to stay, and even though they always talk of leaving, they never have or do." Alpha took it all in, "What happened that caused it to get so bad?" "Well, if your talking about how me, Baxter, and Virgil are upset over the whole having to trade thing, it's because for the first year and few more months we had plenty of supplies, now we can't find enough to replace what we are using." Charlie pulled the truck up into the football field, "Time's up again." Alpha looked at Charlie, "Wait, there's more?" Charlie looked at Alpha while getting out himself, "Oh, there's always more."

Charlie opened up the back and together they all started taking the supplies out of the truck and putting them into the Chinook. Once they finished transferring the supplies they all took a short break between the two vehicles. "Well, you best be heading off." Charlie said walking away, "What are you going to do?" Cujo called out, "Live like when I was a pup." He replied climbing into the front of the truck and laying down, letting his tail and legs hang from the side of the truck. Alpha laughed and gestured the group into the helicopter, Old Yeller sneezed as he walked by, Alpha looked back at the truck and saw Charlie sitting up looking at him. Alpha waved and walked into the Chinook, "Ready to get going?" Old Yeller said as soon as he sat down, "Yeah, let's get going." After they took off and was in flight Old Yeller looked at Alpha, "So you going fill me in on what happened?" Alpha glanced over at Old Yeller, "What?" "Oh please, I know you, what did Charlie tell you, and don't try and hide it." He added quickly. "Okay, because we have time." Alpha repeated everything Charlie told them to pass the time. After Alpha finished the story they had just finished landing at the television station.

Bandit and Outlaw were waiting for them as they exited the Chinook, "Wow, that was fast." Bandit said as they walked up to them. "Yeah, we would have given more of a warning but we can't ready do that can we." Old Yeller said chuckling. "Yeah, I hope you can do something about that; Cit, Coon, Otis, and Rex are all down in the main broadcasting room of the station here trying to figure out how it works." "Wait, can they do that?" Alpha said looking at both Bandit and Outlaw, "Probably, but we need to get a way of getting power first." Bandit said chuckling this time. Outlaw turned around and made his way down the stairs. "So what has happened so far?" Alpha asked. "Eh, Butch took most of the others to the Kingdom place and left us here to see what we could do." Outlaw returned with the others, "Okay, what do we have to do now." Coon said. "We have supplies in the helicopter that needs to get to the Kingdom." Alpha told them pointing to the Chinook. They all walked by him and together they made the slow process of bringing the supplies down to the street below. Once they were done they stood around looking at each other taking a break, "So what are we suppose to do now?" Coon asked for sincerely this time. "That is where we come in." The wolf that greeted them when they first showed up said coming up to them from down the street. Alpha turned to the wolf, "Ah, what a pleasant surprise." "Oh, spare me." A pickup truck drove from around a street intersection and pulled up in front of them, "Just put the supplies in the truck and get going." The wolf watched as they put all the trade goods into the truck, Alpha turned to the wolf when they were done, "Where's are half of the deal?" The wolf pointed to a building down the road, "In there, right in front, you'll find more than enough." The wolf then climbed into the back of the truck. Before Alpha could protest the truck drove off, he turned back to the group, "Well, let's go see the what surprise is."

When the walked into the building the first thing they noticed was the pile of crates in the center of the room, "That must be it." Alpha said as he opened one of the crates to find it full of food. Bandit walked over and looked into it, "Nice." Alpha closed the box, "Okay, everyone take one or two and let's get it back to the station." They all picked up some crates, as they were walking back Cujo looked around at the group, "We've got to come up with a better name than the station." "Really Cujo, we are dealing with the end of the civilized world and a crazy king and you want to come up with a name for a place." Alpha jested looking back at Cujo. "Since the other places have names why can't this one?" Cujo voice was split between being serious and his normal happy jester voice. "Eh, given the other two names I say Haven." Bandit said. "What would make it a haven?" Coon asked, Cit pushed her, "Does it matter, it's hopeful, and you're always complaining about how Sanctuary and Utopia aren't good names, well, make this one live up to it's title." "Good enough for me, I'll be sure to tell the others about it." Alpha said as they walked into what was now known as Haven. They then made their way up to the Chinook and unloaded the supplies in it. Alpha put his paw on Bandit's shoulder, "You keep those two crates for Haven." Bandit looked down at the crates he was carrying, "Really, thanks." He put them down outside of the helicopter. Alpha looked up at the sky, "Hey, want to show us what you've done to the place?" The Haven group looked at each other, "We haven't done much besides decide where we are going to sleep, sorry, maybe next time." Bandit said. Alpha nodded, "That's okay, we have stuff to do anyways." Alpha shook Bandit's paw before he and his team got into the Chinook.

It was almost a half an hour later when Alpha and Old Yeller landed the Chinook on the football field. Charlie greeted them as they carried some of the crates to the back of the truck. "I'll assume that everything went well." Charlie said as he opened the back of the truck for them, "Yeah, but they have a weird way of doing their trade." Alpha said as they went back to get the rest of the supplies. "Eh, doesn't matter, as long as they follow through right." They both laughed as they helped everyone else into the back of the truck and closed it up. "So how are things at that television station?" Charlie said once they had started driving. "It's going to be called Haven now, and since Butch is gone Bandit is apparently taking a leadership role." Charlie laughed, "Really, Haven, and it's going to be run by that little ferret." He continued to laugh. "Yeah, he's going to be the next King Chaz." Charlie stopped laughing and looked over at him, "Ah, why'd you have to go there." "I grew tried of that laugh." Alpha said smiling. "Anyway, we are going to have to get some sort of generator out there for them and some radio equipment." "Oh, now that could be a problem, not exactly like we are using our own oil here or have a lot of power generating stuff." Alpha looked over at Charlie, "But this will be worth it." "No, it won't, not just to say everything's fine back and forth all day." Charlie interrupted Alpha, "Wait, they might be able to get the television to start broadcasting again." Charlie paused, "Okay, that's something, but who would get that message, we don't even get a lot of radio traffic." "But television signals could be picked up further away, and who knows." Charlie shook his head, "You have got to be kidding me Alpha." "Just think about it." Charlie looked over at him, "I believe that you believe in this, and that's good, but even though I'll support you, you still have to convince Baxter."

They stayed quiet for the rest of the trip to the Utopia, Virgil was still waiting for them at the docks with Fala. As they parked and got out Fala ran off to the Utopia. "Virgil, we come bearing gifts." Charlie shook Virgil's paw. "That's good to hear, how much though." Charlie smiled and opened up the back. Cujo and Lassie started handing crates to Charlie and Alpha. Once they unloaded half the goods Charlie turned to Virgil, "This much." He raised his paws in a ta da motion. "Well, it's better than what we had before." He gestured to Fala and the group of animals with her and they watched as they took the supplies back to the ship. "Well, goodbye again." Charlie said nodding to Virgil. Once he started to walk away Alpha and Charlie climbed back into the truck and started to drive off back to Sanctuary. It was another long quiet trip as they made the trip. When they arrived at Sanctuary Baxter was waiting for them. They got out and walked around to the back, Charlie and Alpha unloaded the rest of the crates with Cujo and Lassie's help. Baxter watched quietly looking at the crates, when they finished he looked at them, "That is good, Charlie and two of you, can you help me bring this inside." Alpha gestured for Rune and Lassie to help, "And Alpha, could you take the medicine crates over to the clinic." Alpha and Old Yeller picked up two of the crates and walked off, Cujo followed them. Baxter wiped his nose as he picked up one of the food crates and carried it into the depot with the others.

Cujo opened the door for Alpha and Old Yeller as they walked into the clinic. They saw Bersi and Shepard with Soap, the four humans, Cleo and Control with Mo. Bersi gestured for them to go over to the side room, so they went over there with her. She opened the door to let them in, "Put the crates right over there," She pointed to the side of the room the was more empty. Once they did that Old Yeller sneezed again. Bersi looked concerned at him, "How are you feeling?" Old Yeller looked at Alpha and then at Bersi, "Who me, I feel fine." Bersi turned around and walked back out into the main room, "Okay, if you say so." Alpha and Old Yeller followed them out, Alpha looked at Cleo and Control, "So how long have you known about them?" Cleo looked over at the humans, "Yesterday, it was a shock to see them at first." "Oh, ha ha," David said, "Because we are so unique now." "Come on, can't you be happy for once?" Eleanor said to him, "Why should I be?" Eleanor gestured to Cleo, "Because you could be so much worse off." "What is worse than dying from a disease that can't be treated." David said looking back at her. "Being unable to move and live a full life." Cleo said to him. David looked away ashamed. "That's right, bad human." Cleo finished jokingly. Shepard sneezed, "What, I thought you couldn't smell." Cujo accused the cat. "That does mean I can't ever sneeze." Bersi still looked concerned, making sure to look Alpha in the eyes, which unsettled him.

Right now they didn't need another problem...
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

There's a lot of sneezing going around :? I'm glad things are starting to look up provision-wise, but I hope we don't get another epidemic on our hands :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope that they have a whole lot of Purell hoarded away somewhere.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 21: Contagion

Bersi stood there for a second and thought things over, she turned around and walked back into the storage room. She looked over their supplies, they had plenty, but just for the wrong species, the stock of medicine wouldn't last and they had the wrong kind of preventive measure stuff that would work for animals. She decided it would be best to improvise, she grabbed a few boxes of the basic surgical masks and walked back out into the main room. Everyone just looked at her but she didn't notice, she walked over to her cabinet and pulled out a box of paper clips. Alpha was brave enough to walk over to her, "What are you planning on doing?" She took no notice to the question, opening the box of surgical masks and pulling one out she took Alpha by the shoulder and pushed him lower. She took the mask and put it around his snout, taking out a paper clip and using it to keep the two ear loops together behind his head. She turned him around, he was confused but decided to go with it. "Here," She handed him a mask and paper clip, "Help me put it on." He did as he was told, "Why are we doing this?" "Just a hunch." She looked at everyone else, she handed a surgical mask box and a paper clip box to Alpha, "Help them put these on," She turned to the rest of them, "Once they're on, keep them on." They all continued to look flabbergasted at her. "Hey, do you know where Baxter is?" Alpha turned to her, "Check the depot."

Bersi walked out of the clinic into the daytime air, she made her way over to the depot. When she arrived she saw Baxter, Charlie, and the others of Alpha's team standing outside. Baxter noticed her but waited for her to approach before saying anything, "Where's Alpha?" "Helping me." Baxter looked at the surgical mask and down at the boxes she was carrying, "What is that for?" "Just a hunch, now stoop down so I can put one on you." Baxter bent down, "A hunch, care to fill me," He then sneezed. Bersi put the mask over his snout, "That right there, is what I'm worried about." Charlie chuckled, "You can't be serious." Once Bersi finished putting the mask on Baxter she walked over to Charlie, "Yes, I'm very serious, now down." Charlie bent down at the sound of her voice. Baxter stood back up, "What, please tell me your not going to give these to everyone here." "Yes, I am." "Over a couple of sneezes." Bersi finished putting the mask on Charlie, she pointed at Cujo, he bent down, "Yes, and right now I hope it isn't what I think it is, and for now this will have to do." "Bersi, you'll cause a lot of commotion." Bersi finished with Cujo's mask, Lassie bent down for her without any need to ask, "Would you rather have a commotion later when it's to late?" Baxter looked at her sternly, "This better be worth it." "It will be, now Charlie, can you please help Alpha distribute these around, he's still at the clinic." Charlie looked at Baxter, Baxter nodded his head approvingly and with that Charlie headed off. Bersi finished putting a mask on Rune, Bersi began to walk off but Baxter stopped her, "Wait, if you're going to do this I'm coming with you." Bersi looked up at him and smiled even though the mask blocked any facial expression, "Good thing you have that mask on then."

Together Bersi and Baxter went from place to place making sure everyone had a mask. When they finished they found Alpha and Charlie waiting outside the clinic. "How did it go?" Baxter asked them once they were in a group, "Not bad, some had a little confusion but that was it." Charlie told them. Bersi turned to Baxter, "We need to warn Utopia and the others." Baxter looked at her, "Why?" "Because they could be facing the same problem as us soon." Baxter crossed his arms, "But you don't even know if it's a problem here yet, why are you going to go cause a panic over there for them." Bersi got defensive, "Well I thought since we're suppose to be working together to survive this might put a hamper on that if we don't fix it now." Charlie walked over to Baxter, "You should let her do it, it couldn't hurt, besides... If we hide this and it is something." Charlie paused letting Baxter put the pieces together, "Fine." Baxter told Bersi. "Thank you." She hustled off to the communication building, Vex looked up at her as she entered, "Hey, what's with the masks?" Vex asked her gesturing to her mask and then at Bersi's. "Contact Utopia and you'll find out." Vex turned to the radios and messed around with one of them, after a few seconds she looked at Bersi, "Give them a second." They stood looking around for another minute before Virgil was on the radio. Bersi took the radio microphone, "Virgil, I need you to listen to me and listen good." She paused, "Yeah, I'm listening." Virgil said. "Good, now, how many animals are displaying signs of being sick?" There was another pause, "What are you talking about?" "Virgil, is anybody sneezing, having a running nose, coughing." "Er, yeah, I know of two." Bersi put her face into her paws, "I need you to see what you have for medical supplies, take whatever face masks you have and give them to everyone and do it as soon as possible." "Bersi, why... Is there a problem?" Bersi looked at Vex, "Yes, yes there is a problem, now I think you have something you need to do." Bersi gave the microphone to Vex and left.

Bersi walked back to the clinic to find the Baxter still there. Baxter waited for her to approach before saying anything, "Well, if you're going to do this I guess I have no choice but to help you." "Yeah, and how do you plan on helping?" "You're going to what is now known as Haven to help them with this still unconfirmed problem." Bersi took a step back, "But what about Sanctuary?" "Soap and Shepard can take care of it." "Er... Okay." Baxter nodded and Bersi turned around and headed for the depot. Charlie, Alpha, and Old Yeller were there waiting for her, Charlie spread out his paws into the air, "And there she is." Charlie gestured for her to follow him, he lead her around to the back and helped her and Old Yeller in. After a minute they were moving, Old Yeller sneezed into his mask before looking at Bersi, "So how bad do you think it is?" "I don't know yet." Old Yeller kept looking at her, "How bad do you think it will get?" "I'm not sure." He kept looking at her, "Take your best guess." "Something tells me it's the flu." The way Old Yeller kept looking at her was unsettling, "The kind that those humans have." "Why." Bersi tilted her head to the side, "You probably know more than me, so you tell me why." "Because everyone who is sick has been around them." The truck stopped, they waited a few seconds for Charlie to open up the back. "Ready to see Haven?" He asked Bersi as he helped her down. "Maybe, what's it like?" Alpha walked up to her and lead them to the Chinook, "Eh, it has potential, hope you're not afraid of flying." Bersi chuckled a bit as they walked inside, Alpha turned and noticed Charlie was with them, "Oh, you're coming with us." Charlie smiled, "Yeah, I gotta ferret to see." After another long and uneventful trip they arrived at Haven. Bandit was waiting for them on the roof, "Back so soon!" "Yeah, more trouble." Alpha called back as they exited the helicopter. "Oh boy, what now." "The flu." Bersi replied, "Oh boy... I guess that explains the masks." Old Yeller coughed this time, "And you brought it with you." Bersi looked back at Old Yeller and then at Bandit, "Well, it is probably already here, is anyone giving any symptoms of being sick?" "No." Bersi still had the box of masks and paper clips with her, "Well, we'll give these to you anyway." Bersi turned Bandit around and put the mask on him, "Okay, where is everyone else?" Bandit lead them down into Haven, Bersi gave everyone there a mask. When they finished they walked out into the street, the looked up into the afternoon sky. "We better get to the Kingdom then." Alpha said as he started to walk down the sidewalk. "Well, see you later." Bandit called out as their group left. Bersi and Charlie were looking around at all the buildings in awe, Old Yeller was walking behind them, "Yeah, same thing happened to us when we first came here." After a while of walking they arrived at the gates of the Kingdom.

"Stop where you are." A wolf called out from on top of the wall, "Who are you." "Sanctuary." Alpha called out. The wolf waved them forward. Two dogs opened the gate to let them in, the wolf came down off the wall, "What do you want." "We believe that there might be an outbreak of the flu." Alpha told the wolf, "And we need to see King Chaz." The wolf looked at their masks, "Very well, follow me." The wolf lead them back into what Alpha and Old Yeller recognized as the throne room they were forced into when they first came here. Chaz's wolf was sitting by the entrance, the wolf that was leading them spoke a few words to the other and then left. Chaz's wolf stood up and walked over to Alpha, "Back again." Alpha stood firm, "Yes, and we're here to help." The wolf looked at them, "Fine, wait here." As the wolf walked off he sneezed. Bersi exchanged another look with Alpha. The wolf came out following Chaz to his throne, after the whole routine of bowing down Chaz looked at them, "Why are you here?" Alpha stood back up, "Because we have reason to believe there is a flu outbreak." "And what do you think we can do about it?" Bersi stepped forward, "Right now the best thing you can do is get your medical supplies and distribute masks out to your people." Chaz looked at the rabbit. "Is that the best you can come up with?" "For now, yes, and it might help." "And it might not." Bersi stepped back, "Fine, do nothing, we're just here trying to help." "Well, you have done your part, is that it?" Alpha looked back at Bersi, "Yes." The wolf walked forward the gestured for them to follow him out. After a few minutes of walking back in silence Bandit greeted them as they arrived.

"Well, how'd go?" He asked as they walked inside, Alpha looked at the ferret, "We don't know yet, but here's some good news, Bersi is now going to be staying with you now." Bandit looked at Alpha, then at Bersi, "Well, welcome to Haven!" Charlie gave an amused looked at Alpha. "Well, we better get going." Bersi and Bandit followed the other three dogs out to the Chinook, Bersi watched the helicopter take off and listened to it leave. "Well, do you what to see around?" Bersi looked over at Bandit, "I'd love to." Bandit lead her down the stairs and through the old news station, when they arrived at the break room Bersi stopped, "Is this room taken?" Bandit stopped and looked around, "No, why?" "Well, I'm claiming this room then." "Well, okay, there wasn't much left to see anyways?" Bersi stopped Bandit before he could leave, "Where did you put your medical supplies?" Bandit looked at her and gestured for her to follow, they arrived at a storage closet room, "In there, feel free to take all the supplies you need out, we don't have much yet." Bersi walked into the closet, "Thanks." Bandit nodded and walked off. There was only one medium sized box with some medical supplies in it, it would have to do. She carried it back to the break room and looked through the cabinets and fridge, which all were empty. There was a table and some chairs with a small couch off to the side. It would do for now, so she began to unpack the medical supplies she had. Once she was finished she sat at the table and made a list; Eleanor, David, Derrick, Alika, Shepard, Baxter, Old Yeller, two at Utopia, one at the Kingdom.

That made ten confirmed creatures that were sick...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually enjoying where this is all leading! Great job!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"Next time... Somebody Dies..!"
Joking, but that's a Trope, look it up.
Looking forward to the next!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'll add it to my reading list on TVTropes.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well actually the trope is "Somebody Dies Tonight", but you get the picture.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Like I said, I will never eventually get to it.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 22: Epidemic

Outlaw woke up with a high fever, not being able to think clearly he rolled over and smacked the floor. When did, before being able to finish the thought he tore off his mask and let last night's meal up all over the floor. He rolled back over onto his back, oh how he always hated being sick. "Outlaw!" He didn't know who's voice that belonged to, he knew he should know it from somewhere. He felt two paws on each of his shoulders, he was pretty sure he heard his name again, the best he could manage was a moan. "Ot... H.. lp.. Ou.. w." That's funny talk. He tried looking around but the lights were way to bright, or maybe he couldn't focus. He noticed a figure above him, then he felt himself being picked up. Being cradled felt nice, then he sneezed all over the carpet. There was more talking, this time the voice sounded different, oh well, not like it mattered right now. He felt himself being put down onto a hard surface, a table, he was able to figure that out. He looked back up to be disoriented by those bright lights again. He tried to listen to what the two voices where talking about, but he was now slipping in and out of consciousness. Something bumped into his mouth, he tried turning away but couldn't, then cool water began to pour over his cheek. It felt so good he tried to drink as fast so he could. Something felt his hind paws, then on his chest, finally again on his snout, and then there was more talking. He really wasn't feeling good, then he remembered for a brief second Bandit, "Bandit." He called out, scaring himself by hearing his low sickly voice. His paw was quickly grasped, this time the voice went high pitched, Funny.

Bandit held Outlaw's paw, "Yes!" He looked over at Bersi, "There has got to be something we can do." Bersi shook her head no, "Sorry Bandit, but that fever has already taken a toll on him." Bandit looked down at him, "But he's my brother." He kept his paws tightly around Outlaws. In all that moaning he knew his brother had to be fighting. "Please, anything." Bersi walked up next to them and put her paw on his shoulder, "Just keep giving him water for now." "Well, what about medicine!?" Bersi looked full of sorrow, "We don't have anything for this." Bandit shoved his face into Outlaw's side and started to sob. Bersi watched as Outlaw struggled to roll over onto his side and reach out with his free paw. It landed on the top of Bandit's head and slowly slide down to his shoulder. Bandit looked up at Outlaw, who was looking back at him. Bandit continued to cry, letting the tears run down his cheeks and drip onto the table. He climbed up onto the table and gently pushed his brother back onto his back, but they never lost eye contact. Every kithood memory seemed to be shared by the two during those moments. Cit walked in then, "Bersiii..." She fell quiet at the sight of the two ferrets. Outlaw's vision began to go, "Ba... ndit." He wanted to get one final thing out, Bandit bent down closer, "Yes." They both sounded terrible. "I... I.. Lo... Love... Y-you." With the Outlaw pasted on, to go enjoy every happy memory in a land of enteral bliss. Bandit tore off his mask and hugged his brother, "I LOVE YOU TOO!" He cried out before uncontrollably sobbing over Outlaw. Bersi stepped forward, "Bandit." She was stopped by a paw on her shoulder. Cit looked her in the eyes, "Let them be." "But." Cit stopped her again,

"Right now I don't think he cares..."
Alpha, Charlie, and David finished filling in a hole they had to dig that morning. Alpha looked over a the over two, David still appeared a little sick and Charlie started to develop a sneeze. "Well, anything?" He asked. "What's the point." David said shoving his shovel into the ground and walking back the clinic. Charlie walked over to Alpha, "Let's just focus on the," He sneezed into his mask, "Future." They both looked at the freshly disturbed dirt before heading back to the clinic themselves. Soap looked up at them as they walked in, he mustered a smile before focusing back on Shepard. Alpha headed over to Old Yeller while Charlie headed over to Baxter. "How you feeling buddy?" Alpha said as he sat down next to Old Yeller, "Eh, given what just happened, not so well." He coughed into his mask, "How are you?" The way he asked made Alpha smile, "Just another walk in the park." Old Yeller chuckled and wheezed before pulling down his mask to take a long gup of water. Meanwhile Charlie sat down next to Baxter, "How do things look?" Baxter asked wanting to get to business. "Er... Well, with Derrick and Alika gone, Utopia lost one, an unknown situation at Haven or the Kingdom, and a few new cases. Things are looking good." Baxter sneezed, "Yeah, about Haven, we need to get them a radio and a way to run it, we need to know what's happening there too." Charlie stood up, "I'll see what I can do." Soap and Eleanor stood over Shepard, he was running a high fever. Soap looked up at Eleanor, "Anything you can tell me about this disease." Eleanor was helping Shepard take drinks of water, "Nothing I haven't already said." "Well, then why does it seem some are catching and falling fast while others are doing better or fine?" Eleanor put the water down and coughed, "I don't know, some fall to it fast, others it takes longer, some can get better and then relapse, just like with any other disease." Shepard looked up at them, "Sitting right here." Soap looked back down at him, "Oh shut up you big baby." Charlie walked over to Alpha and Old Yeller, "I'm going to need you guys agian." Alpha helped Old Yeller up, "Nothing like a walk in the park." Old Yeller said as Charlie lead them out.

"Old Yeller, do you think you're okay to fly?" Old Yeller looked at him, "Sure, Alpha does most the work anyway." Charlie looked at them both "Okay." He turned and started to walk off to the communication building. Vex and Control both looked up at them as they walked in. "Well hey there." "Hey Vex, can you spare a radio?" Vex looked at him and looked around the room, the walls were full of old radios, "Yeah I think we can spare one." She got up and walked up to one, "This one should do." She disconnected it and handed it over to Charlie. "Thank you." Control sneezed into her mask. They all looked at her, Charlie turned and lead Alpha and Old Yeller out and to the depot. "You think these masks are working." Charlie asked as he opened the door to the front of the military truck with the help of Alpha, "I hope." Charlie pushed the radio into the truck before climbing in, "So no." Alpha just turned and helped Old Yeller to the other side of the truck and helped him get in before climbing in himself. "Let's just see how Haven is doing."
They made their way off to the high school, then from there off to Haven...
Virgil sat in the medical room of the Utopia with Fala laying on one of the beds, she was running a mild fever. He was very tired, having been up all last night distributing the masks they had in this room out to everyone on board and stationed at the docks. In the end they still lost one, poor raccoon, and for the life of him he still couldn't remember his name. Fala woke up and looked over at him, "Hey, what are you doing here?" Virgil got up and made his way over to her, "Waiting for you." He took his water and helped her drink. "Thanks," She said as soon as she finished drinking, "Aren't we suppose to be doing something." She coughed. "No, right now I need you to focus on getting better." "Hmm..." And with that she drifted back off to sleep. Their 'doctor', a cat, walked over to him, "She'll be fine here, right now though you need to be getting some rest." He looked up at the cat, "Yeah, I'll be up in the bridge if anything happens." The cat put his paw on Virgil's shoulder, "She'll be fine." Virgil nodded and headed off to the bridge to get some much needed sleep.

Right now he wasn't feeling to good himself...
Bandit sat alone in one of the places hallways, Cit managed to find him and walked up silently and sat down next to him. Bandit sat there looking down, but knew Cit was looking down at him, he didn't have much energy to cry anymore. He looked up at the cat, she looked down caringly back at him. They both felt like saying something but each one already knew the answer to the question. The sound of a helicopter coming distracted them both, "Well. Let's go see what they want." Bandit struggled to get up so Cit helped him all the way to the roof top. They watched the Chinook land, and as Charlie, Alpha, and Old Yeller came out. Charlie was carrying a radio, "Hey we got you a..." He paused at the poor sight of Bandit, he looked at Cit and understood they lost someone. "Radio." He finished. Bandit looked up and him and mustered a smile under his mask, "Great. Cit, can you show them where they can put that, I'm going to enjoy the fresh air." He let himself out of Cit's hold and stumbled over to the side of the building. He looked up at the sky and took a few deep breathes before turning around and sitting down against the safety wall. Cit gestured to Charlie and Alpha to follow her, as they made their way down the stairs Alpha looked at Cit, "So..." "Outlaw." Cit answered. "Oh, how's he doing?" "He's trying to figure it out." They made their way through the news station, "Hey Otis, Rex, think you can get this to work." Cit called out to them in their room gesturing to the radio Charlie carried. Otis sneezed before looking back up at Cit, "Sure, got a way to power it." Charlie looked at the radio, "Yeah, there's some special batteries in it, I managed to get some replacement ones, we'll work on getting you a generator, but..." Otis and Rex walked up to him and took the radio from him, "That'll do then, thanks." Together they looked for a good place to set it up.

Old Yeller sat down next to Bandit, "Want to talk about it?" Bandit looked over at him, "What exactly about it is there to talk about." "Hmm. Anything and everything come to mind, but you don't care about those do you?" Bandit looked down again, everything felt dry and he still wanted to cry. "It was Outlaw wasn't it." That hit Bandit hard, "Well, I'm sorry. I know that means nothing, but for now I'm sorry." Bandit looked up and him, "It's going to get us all isn't it." Old Yeller coughed, "No, and don't think like that, you still have the others to look after." Bandit fell quiet, Old Yelller didn't bother trying to cotinue the conversation. Four, four creatures gone, and who knows how many more. They both looked up at the sky, not a cloud in it this day. Alpha came up to the roof a few minutes later, "Come on Old Yeller." Old Yeller looked over, "Coming." He looked down at Bandit after he got up, but couldn't manage to think of anything that would help to say. He nodded goodbye and made his way over to Alpha, "What are we doing now?" Alpha looked at him as they made their way back down the stairs where Charlie was waiting to join them.

"We're going back to the Kingdom..."
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

That's very touching :( You're doing a great job showing us the heart of these characters.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Nice job on this chapter! It really is very heartwarming.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh my gawsh, I swear I was kidding! Outlaw, you will be remembered *does the CCCF salute*