Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Post by D-Rock »

I do have to admit, that is pretty funny!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

In that case, yeah, we should wait. Speaking of: are there any more things I need to ink and/or color?
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, one thing is for sure, the teaser needs to say "walk and talk". :P
Also, as the script is decided, we'll need to consider what sort of voice the narrator will have. I don't mean like who'll voice it, I mean like buttery, unnecessarily epic, or tranquil like some sort of nature documentary(my personal fave).
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

I kind of like "unnecessarily epic".

THIS! IS! HOUSEPE- *shot*

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Retto-the-Otter wrote:I kind of like "unnecessarily epic".

THIS! IS! HOUSEPE- *shot*
I'm actually wearing a spartan shirt right now, :P

Nature Doc proposal: "Here we see a Housepet encountering a red ball. Let's see what he'll do with it..." :P
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

There should be at least 2 more sheets for both Peanut and Grape. I'm currently finishing up the sketches for the first strip for Peanut, so hopefully you'll get that soon. :)
However, if we add the cow joke (which I really want to now), there will be another short sheet for Peanut. I'll just handle the cow though, as that will require a bit of a different method for the chewing. Though thinking about it the waving may need a different method too. I'll deal with that when I get to it.
SuperStar wrote:Well, one thing is for sure, the teaser needs to say "walk and talk". :P
Also, as the script is decided, we'll need to consider what sort of voice the narrator will have. I don't mean like who'll voice it, I mean like buttery, unnecessarily epic, or tranquil like some sort of nature documentary(my personal fave).
Well absolutely! Ever since that song, it'd be a crime not to describe the pets without using "walking and talking" :lol:
And that's what I was thinking about. At first, I thought of it being like an advertisement for living in/visiting Babylon Gardens, with a women describing the lifestyle of the inhabitants there. Though on the other hand, I like the idea of a kind of tongue and cheek kinda narration where the narrator speaks kind of casually, but will break into a rather real stumble or take back that people tend to do when trying to describing things. :P The nature one kinda works too, as it'd make it more understandable as to why they're describing all this to the viewer. So many options! :o
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

If no one else will (and only if no one else will; I don't want to hog parts), I'll take the narrator. I have a decent repertoire of voices and, if I'm honest, I love voice acting so much that I've been reading most of the posts out loud in different voices.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I'd be okay trying out the narrator voice, but it depends what style of narrator we're going with.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Personally I'd like to give it a shot as well, but I'd like to decide on how the narrator will actually be speaking before deciding who'd be best for it. Maybe we should just have everyone who wants to do their own take of the narration, and then we'll all collectively decide on who should do it? Not sure if it's worth a whole casting call, but I feel we should still all get a chance and decide on who fits best. :)
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

What're the lines, though?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Well we don't know yet, that's why I've kept constantly suggesting that we wait till the current animation is done :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I would like to make an open suggestion: A narration voice that switches from calm to wild at a moment's notice (similar to SWE's commentation scene for the Kirito-Heathcliff fight in SAO Abridged episode 9).
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Right, cause all of us know exactly what that is...
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Look on Youtube. I can't link because of the new forum guidelines on vids with language.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That's new, but not sure if it fits the series.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GreatKitsune wrote:Look on Youtube. I can't link because of the new forum guidelines on vids with language.
That's true, and I have seen SAO Abridged before. But it's not exactly the cleanest thing, so essentially you're asking anyone on the thread to go look up something potentially inappropriate for them.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

But since they were warned of the nature of the video, they search for it at their own risk.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GreatKitsune wrote:I would like to make an open suggestion: A narration voice that switches from calm to wild at a moment's notice (similar to SWE's commentation scene for the Kirito-Heathcliff fight in SAO Abridged episode 9).
I... don't see how that would fit with the teaser... at all... like not even remotely close. :? Like no offense but what made you think that'd be good for a simple teaser animation for a PG webcomic that mainly relies on subtle and witty humor?
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I think I should watch SAO to understand.

if you're looking for a narrator voice I know two people who might do a great job one is a practicing voice actor and is really good the other is
just my brother who is good at voices
Foxes unite!!!!!!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

How about this; the practice audition for the narrator part would be what Retto posted. Sounds funny enough. That alright?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'm down for that :D
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sounds good, but my audition will take a bit. I'm away from home, so I don't have my mic.
DrGuthrie

Post by DrGuthrie »

So when and where should we do this audition?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
GreatKitsune wrote:I would like to make an open suggestion: A narration voice that switches from calm to wild at a moment's notice (similar to SWE's commentation scene for the Kirito-Heathcliff fight in SAO Abridged episode 9).
I... don't see how that would fit with the teaser... at all... like not even remotely close. :? Like no offense but what made you think that'd be good for a simple teaser animation for a PG webcomic that mainly relies on subtle and witty humor?
That's why I said it was just an open suggestion.
DrGuthrie wrote:So when and where should we do this audition?
I may just add it to the CC page.
Hello, low order beings!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Went ahead and recorded the lines, but how do I show it to you guys? Don't think a CC entry is necessary as there are very few instances in the comic of an unseen narrator, unless the person wants to double the role as a TV announcer.

Also, as I think that the speakers on my laptop are starting to deteriorate, I don't know how much of the recording has static or just from the speakers themselves.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yeah sorry if that sounded a bit facetious, it's very hard to portray my sense of humor in text form. Doesn't work quite well as it would when actually talking to someone in person :lol:

I feel like making a CC thing would be the easiest actually. Not many other ways to hear all the submissions in one convenient place.
Also I'd love to try for the the TV announcer so I mean :P
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

what is a CC
Foxes unite!!!!!!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Casting Call, the website where everyone is submitting their auditions. A link to the site is on the poll thread for the animation. A profile is required to submit an audition.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

ah thank you
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Status update:
All of the sketches for the teaser are done. Once Retto finishes the sketches, I'll be clear to begin animating the final scenes.

Also, I've comprised a list of the main episodes that will be in the show. The one offss, 3-strip arcs, and Spot (Superdog) arcs will either be made into mini episodes, compiled into an episode with a few mini episodes in them, or written into full episodes (which for some may not be the best idea).
They are as follows:

EDIT: WOW! The list was so long that the forums wouldn't let me post it! Oh well, here's the Google Docs Version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zdy ... sp=sharing

If we make it that far, then wow! We'll have been doing this series for YEARS!
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

So how much dialog is going to be altered? Some of the jokes don't work as well outside of a comic format.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

It depends on the joke. As shown in the script for the first episode, scenes are written to be stringed together a bit better, and if that can be done to make the jokes work in show form then they will be kept in. However, some jokes may just not be included into the episode, but that's just something we have to deal with. A lot of the one offs will probably not make it into the side episodes for that reason, as there's no real way to string those together.
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Where is the script for the first episode? I probably should have read the whole topic before joining; if a link (and I'm just assuming it's a link) was posted on a previous page, just point me in the direction of that page.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I didn't feel like digging so I'ma skype you the script. That's I got it through PM so I'm doing this in case the script was not meant for all eyes to see. :)

EDIT: I took some time to touch up on my Housepets! style since I realized I've had to base all the trailer art on the style I had when I became the lead animator/artist 8 months ago for consistency. Apparently I got really good at imitating the year 8 style without even realizing it.

So everything after the teaser will look like this. Really wish I'd taught myself this sooner :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

looking good I also have a suggestion if you do end up doing spot the super dog episode
make it like animated comic strips and make all the voices done by peanut :D
Foxes unite!!!!!!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Looking very swell. The design on Grape's tail and head features (Ears, eyes and mouth) are awesome, and so are Peanut's ears. I also like their tummies! I'm anxious to see them in motion. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

snappyfox wrote:looking good I also have a suggestion if you do end up doing spot the super dog episode
make it like animated comic strips and make all the voices done by peanut :D
Oh, did I not post that character sheet here? Huh, well I guess I'll do it now then:
Yes I'm aware the Cyborg only has 1 metal arm, but in the comic I was using as a reference he had two for some reason. Probably a mistake on Rick's part, which lead to a mistake on my part.
But yeah, we fully intend on having Spot (Superdog) episodes, but we're not sure if they'll be their own side episodes or part of the mini-sodes. I'd imagine the later ones where the arcs are actually full arcs could stand as their own side episodes, but the first few are only a few strips long.
As for the animation, I had the idea to lower the frame rate and have each frame have a different coloring job to intentionally make the animation look jagged and shakey, making it seem that Peanut is the one doing it. It would still keep it's comic elements of course, but would still have some minor animation.
All the voices being done by Peanut is a cute idea, but I've always imagined the characters with their own voices. Plus that's a lot of voices for one person to do, as short as those arcs are. We'll have to discuss this as a team, cause I'm sure we all have differing opinions on that.
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

fair enough ^^
Foxes unite!!!!!!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Shouldn't spot be voiced by Peanut? since it's practically Peanut's comic, i'd imagine them doing it under his voice =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Gotta say that Stripe is similar to Grape. So...
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.