Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Who Am I? 

Post Who Am I?
Honey woke up to a kiss. While she enjoyed it, she was taken aback, as she didn't know who could be kissing her--until she opened her eyes and saw a handsome male collie she didn't know. His fur was combed neatly and he was wearing fancy clothes.

"Wake up, Sleeping Beauty," he said in a soft cooing voice.

Honey smiled, yawned, and stretched, and was about to thank him when she realized where she was--or rather, where she wasn't.

"Hey, this isn't my room...."

"Of course it is, your highness," said the male collie. "You've been asleep for a hundred years."

"WHAT?!"

Honey sat up in bed. It was a fancy canopy bed with lace decorating the curtains and sheets. The room was filled with cobwebs, and so it did indeed look as though it had been undisturbed for a hundred years. Yet somehow, even the deterioration didn't detract from the beauty of the room as it must have looked a hundred years before.

Honey dashed out of bed to look at herself in the mirror, half-frightened to do so, as if she might see an ancient, withered collie with white fur and wrinkled skin. She didn't see that, but she gasped in shock at what she did see.

Not that she didn't see herself--she recognized her own face easily--but she was wearing clothes that looked more like what she wore to role-play than anything she usually wore. In fact, these were fancier than anything she wore to role-play. She had a princess costume for her role-play but these clothes made that costume look shabby by comparison--for indeed, she was dressed as a princess. She was wearing a beautiful blue royal gown decorated with blue flowers on the skirt, and lacy trim on the collar, cuffs, and hem; blue stockings and matching shoes; blue evening gloves; a necklace of shiny pearls; and a tiara made of real diamonds. In addition, her headfur was not tied back in a ponytail, nor unbound, but brushed and braided behind her head with blue ribbons.

"Wow...I look good--but where did these clothes come from?"

"Your wardrobe, I'd imagine, milady," said the other collie. Now that Honey had a good look at him, she noticed the fancy clothes he was wearing. He was sporting a red cap with a feather in it, and a matching cape, and fancy clothes with braid; a belt with a gold buckle, and a scabbard with a sword in it; and brown leather boots.

"Who are you?"

"Oh, forgive me, fair damsel," said the male collie, removing his hat and bowing. "I am Prince Regis of the Kingdom of Cole. And you are Princess Regina of Sinerege."

"Huh?!" said Honey, looking at her clothes. "No, I'm not. My name is Honey Cake."

Prince Regis laughed, but it was a good-natured laugh. "You are a wit, dear maiden. You and your kingdom have been asleep for a hundred years, ever since you pricked your finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel--but now you are all awake."

"Wait--are you telling me I'm Sleeping Beauty?!" Honey looked at herself in the mirror again.

"Well, you're not sleeping anymore, but the 'beauty' still applies."

"Er...thank you...sire...." Honey was confused. She was sure she was Honey Cake. She thought she remembered being adopted by Mr. Cake, and then later adopting Vanilla as her little sister. Yet somehow, now that she thought about it....

"I do remember pricking my finger--it hurt. And it bled." She looked on the floor, and sure enough, there was a hundred-year-old bloodstain. Honey--or perhaps Princess Regina--was extremely confused.

"Princess?" said Prince Regis. She turned to him--he was on one knee and took her paw in his.

"Yes...sire?"

"It would be the greatest honor for this wandering prince if the loveliest maiden he has ever seen...would join him in matrimony. Princess Regina...will you marry me?"

"Wha...." She was still trying to work out what was going on here. Still, he did seem a very kind prince--and very handsome. "Your highness...this is a sudden surprise!"

He smiled. "So what is the lady's answer?"

Honey turned red and began to sweat. She honestly didn't know what to say other than--

"Yes."

As time passed, Princess Regina remembered more of her true life and forgot about the false life she thought she knew, as Honey Cake. The prince had asked her father the king for her hand in marriage, and he had said yes. Then Prince Regis had placed her on his white horse--riding side-saddle--and had ridden away to his own palace far away, which was so much larger than her own home that it made her father's palace look like a cookie by comparison. The princess had never seen such beauty in a home--both on the outside and on the inside. Even describing it in words would not do it justice.

The princess had met Prince Regis's father and mother, the King and Queen of Cole. It was a great honor, yet she was rather shy in meeting them and informing them that she was to be their son's bride. But while they were very majestic, almost otherworldly, they were also extremely kind to her and seemed delighted to let her join their family.

The wedding date was set, and the preparations took place. The princess could hardly believe it was really happening--she was getting married! The ladies in waiting prepared her on the day of the wedding: they bathed her and helped her on with her clothes. She wore a white wedding dress with poofy short sleeves, and an umbrella-like skirt that flowed down to the ground, as wide as she was tall, with many petticoats under it; she wore white stockings and fancy shoes; she wore white evening gloves; she wore a pink pearl necklace and dangly pink earrings; her headfur was brushed and curled, and she sported a veil that went over her face; she held a bouquet of white flowers. She let out a lovestruck sigh as she looked at herself in the mirror, hardly daring to believe that that was herself.

Princess Regina lifted her skirts as she walked down the aisle, her train carrying her train behind her. Her skirt was so bulky and heavy that it forced her to walk slowly, more dignified, more befitting a princess who was getting married. By now she had completely forgotten she was anyone but Princess Regina, and anything in her life except what had happened to her a hundred years before--that had all been only a dream. How could she have thought it was real? There was nothing more real than this.

"Do you, Prince Regis, take this princess to be your wife, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," said Prince Regis, gazing through the veil into his bride's eyes.

"And do you, Princess Regina, take this prince to be your husband, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

Before Princess Regina could say "I do", the proceedings were interrupted. Bandits, who had apparently been there the whole time, now made their presence known. Everyone screamed as the bandits swung from ropes, literally armed to the teeth with daggers. The princess was frightened.

"Captain, you must do something about the pirates!" said a voice, shaking her. She turned, and now saw a salty sea dog in a sailor's outfit, looking frightened.

She looked around--she was now on a ship, sailing in the middle of the ocean, far away from any sight of land.

"What the--?! Where am I? Where is Prince Regis?"

"Captain, please don't be getting cabin fever now!" cried the sea dog. "If you don't do something quickly the pirates will take over our ship and make us all walk the plank!"

"'Captain'? But I'm not a captain--I'm Princess Regina of--"

The sea dog shook her. "Forgive me, ma'am, but you are not yourself. If you have forgotten who you are, you are Captain Isadora Longshanks of the H. M. S. Bahou. I am your first mate, Thursday. Vicious pirates of the worst kind have just boarded your vessel and are taking your crew captive!"

"B-But--"

She looked around. Sure enough, pirates were capturing and binding the crew of the ship. And these didn't look like pretend pirates playing around--these looked like dangerous killers. She was frightened.

"What shall we do, captain?"

"I--I don't...I--"

She didn't understand. Could she really be the captain of this ship, and gotten cabin fever and only imagined herself to be a princess? She had to figure this out quickly or else her crew might be killed!

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am
Puppy Wrangler

Post Re: Who Am I?
Sounds like Inception. I cannot say whether or not it is like Inception, since I have never seen that film, but it sounds like it.

So it is a Honey story, eh?

Geeze, three stories in a row! You are on fire ChewyChewy!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

copper wrote:
Sounds like Inception. I cannot say whether or not it is like Inception, since I have never seen that film, but it sounds like it.

So it is a Honey story, eh?

Geeze, three stories in a row! You are on fire ChewyChewy!

I have never seen it either.

I hope it will be, I don't want her to be left out.

Not in a row--I haven't finished "Vanilla the Bully" yet. And put me out, put me out! :shock:

--Phoenix

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 am
laughing maniacally

*throws a bucket of water on Chewy*

interesting. Dreams can be crazy things. especially in your stories

I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 am
Profile YIM
Game Master

Now, THAT' an unexpected twist!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

.......derp?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 am
Game Master

Princesses to pirates, exciting stuff. :D
Vanilla Sky popped into my mind when i read this.

Book Log: The Last Magazine - Micheal Hastings

Ref Ref!

Terra Ridge OOC

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 am

I hope to finish this but so far it hasn't been coming....

--Phoenix

Sun May 19, 2013 8:26 pm
Puppy Wrangler

It would be the first fic you did not finish to my knowledge.

Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm

copper wrote:
It would be the first fic you did not finish to my knowledge.

It would be, but I don't want that to happen. Just a matter of getting the creative juices flowing again, and being in the mood.

--Phoenix

Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm
Game Master

*stares* get in the mood. NAU! :twisted:

Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 am
Profile WWW

I'm sorry, nothing is coming. :( This may have to remain unfinished. (I did say "may", keep in mind.)

But after today's update, and the comic thread today, I don't know if I really want to continue with this here, not right now.

--Phoenix

Fri May 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Chapter 2

Honey woke up with a headache. It was cold, even with the blanket on, and she barely felt like moving.

She didn't like to let Vanilla know this but she woke up like this a lot more often than she let on. Mr. Cake never noticed.

When she felt good and ready, Honey sneaked out of her room to get a drink of water. That usually soothed her headaches before breakfast, so that she could be her usual cheerful self.

That hadn't been the first nightmare this week and it wouldn't be the last.

Heh, I wish I had a "Honey" to talk to about my problems, like Vanilla has me, she thought to herself. She half-considered literally talking to herself about it but decided not to. That was more Vanilla's style than it was Honey's. Besides, it might cause her personality to split some, and that might make her nightmares worse.

It was true, though, that Honey wished she had someone to talk to about her problems. She didn't feel right talking to Strawberry, as Strawberry was Vanilla's friend. And talking to Wort would be awkward, with Vanilla's past non-history with him. Nor did she desire to talk to Silver: while she trusted both that Silver would not two-time Strawberry with her, and that Strawberry would know she had nothing to be jealous about, Honey just didn't feel right talking to someone else's boyfriend. And Mellio and Rhoda were out of the question.

In any case, she didn't really want advice--she knew the problem, just not quite how to handle it--she just wanted to talk to someone about it, and she didn't feel right talking to Vanilla, who had enough of her own problems.

Honey went to the bathroom and splashed some cold water on her face. It would soon be time for her bath, and that was always relaxing.

"What are you doing up so early?"

"YIP!!" Honey started, then turned around to find a groggy Vanilla wiping her eyes.

"Vanilla! I thought you were asleep!"

Vanilla shrugged. "Couldn't sleep a wink last night."

Lucky, thought Honey, but she only smiled sympathetically at her sister. "Sorry to hear that. Have you tried taking something for it?"

"Yes. I'm immune to all medications--except chicken soup."

Honey's ears perked up. "Chicken soup doesn't make you fall asleep."

"Couldn't hurt."

"Snrrrkkk!!! That's funny, Vanilla," said Honey.

"Yeah, that's me, a barrel of laughs," said Vanilla sarcastically.

"Did you want to talk about it?"

Vanilla shifted her weight from one foot to another. "Yes and no."

"Something on your mind?"

Vanilla sighed. "You haven't had your bath yet, I haven't had my bath yet, it can wait."

"You sure?"

"Kibble, no, I'm not! But--go ahead."

"Okay...."

Honey's bath was less relaxing than she had hoped. She didn't resent Vanilla, but she did kind of wish that Vanilla wasn't having any problems today. Honey wasn't a 24-hour therapist, after all. She only hoped she could help her sister--this time.

When Honey was in her comfortable sweater and skirt, and her hair tied out of her face in her familiar ponytail, she waited until Vanilla was through with her own bath. It seemed to take longer than usual. Maybe that was because she didn't usually have to wait.

Half an hour passed.

Another quarter hour.

What the heck was going on in that bathroom?

At length, a knock at her door.

"Honey, may I come in, please?"

"Of course--the door's open, Vanilla--" Honey sniffed. "What's that smell--is that black orchid?"

"Kibble, I knew I shouldn't have overdone it. No wisecracks, please."

"Wisecracks? Vanilla, what are you--?"

Honey was stunned speechless as she opened the door. Was this Vanilla Cake?

It looked like her--it had the same facial expression as her, and even the same mannerisms, like shifting her weight from one foot to another. But this couldn't be Vanilla Cake.

"Vanilla...you look--"

Vanilla put her paw up. "Please, Honey, this is embarrassing enough as it is."

Vanilla was not wearing her hood over her head, as usual. She wasn't even wearing her hoodie at all. Her fur was clean and brushed, and scented, and she was wearing what appeared to be one of Honey's own outfits, minus the ponytail.

"What's the occasion?"

"Well, my calendar's not off, so it can't be Halloween."

Honey stifled a giggle again. "Seriously, I'm flattered, but why are you dressed like me?"

Vanilla shrugged. "Science project."

Honey couldn't stifle a laugh this time.

"It's not funny, Honey!"

Honey did her best not to laugh again, at the rhyme. "Sorry--I'm sorry...but what kind of science project requires you to wear my clothes and take a bath with black orchid?"

Vanilla shifted her weight from one foot to another. "Thought maybe I'd make more friends if I imitated you. You seem to be good at it."

"Aww, you don't have to be me to make friends, Vanilla."

Vanilla rolled her eyes. "Because being me has worked like a real charm."

"You've been hiding your true self, Vanilla. Just need to come out of your shell."

"And get pecked at by vultures? No thank you."

"Well, I can't tell you what to do, Vanilla, and I'm flattered, as I said, but I don't think you need to do this."

Vanilla shrugged. "Just an experiment."

"Well, let me know how it works out."

Vanilla stared at Honey as if her big sister had just left her in the woods and was about to drive off.

"What?" said Honey.

"You're not coming with me?"

"Dressed identically to my little sister? I don't think so--besides, what kind of science experiment would that be?"

Vanilla whined.

"Don't whine, Vanilla, if you were bold enough to put on my clothes you can be bold enough to go out in them."

"Kibble, I guess you're right. Well...here goes...."

Vanilla gulped, as if she were on her way to the gallows. She took a deep breath, then walked out the front door.

Honey was relieved that she was not needed to solve any problems this time. At the same time, however, she also felt kind of sad--even hurt--that she wasn't needed. Why should that be? For once she didn't have to hold her little sister's paw. Why was that not making her happy?

Honey was listening to some Oak Ridge Boys when she heard a knock at the door--somehow she had trained her ears to hear a knock even when she had her headphones in--and stopped the album to head to the door.

"Coming, I'm coming!"

When she opened the door, Honey really began to wonder if she were still dreaming.

"Hi, Honey," said Vanilla shyly.

"Hi...Vanilla--who's your friend?"

"He's not my friend, he just followed me home. I don't know if Dad'll let us have a pet."

Honey was about to laugh when she was interrupted by Vanilla's "friend". He was a beagle, and he was about Vanilla's age.

"You're too funny for words, Vanilla!" said the beagle.

"Yeah, I charge by the laugh," said Vanilla, rolling her eyes.

"Hello, I'm Vanilla's sister Honey," said Honey to the beagle. "And you are?"

"Rupert Catson."

Honey cocked her head. "Is that your real name?"

Rupert hung his head. "It's a family name."

"You don't have to be embarrassed. I like it."

Rupert smiled. "Thanks."

"You're welcome. So, you like my sister, huh?"

"She's funny!" laughed Rupert.

Vanilla sighed and held out her paw.

Rupert chortled. "I don't have any money."

"So you'll owe me."

Rupert doubled over.

"Well, looks like things are looking up for you, huh, Vanilla?" said Honey.

"You could call it that."

"Why don't you show Rupert your room?"

Vanilla looked uncomfortable. "...Maybe later. I can introduce him to Dad, though, I guess...."

"Sounds good! Nice to meet you, Rupert."

Rupert nodded, smiling, and followed Vanilla out.

Honey was happy for Vanilla, even if the only thing she and Rupert had to bond over was that he liked her jokes. Maybe they'd find they had more in common. Hey, anything was possible.

So why was Honey feeling sick to her stomach?

--Phoenix

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 pm
laughing maniacally

you remember how I'm reading Vanilla in Raven's voice?

well now I'm reading Rupert in Beast Boy's

RP character sheets

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
Game Master

Dang it, Brent! Now I can't un-stick those voices from my head...
And I guess we both hear Honey as Starfire :lol:

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 am
Profile WWW
laughing maniacally

I did once, but the voice didn't quite stick in my head. I haven't decided on a good voice for Honey yet.
though revisiting it again, I do think I can still see Hynden Walch, just as Princess Bubblegum instead of Starfire

RP character sheets

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 am
Profile YIM
Game Master

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
I did once, but the voice didn't quite stick in my head. I haven't decided on a good voice for Honey yet.
though revisiting it again, I do think I can still see Hynden Walch, just as Princess Bubblegum instead of Starfire

...will Phantom Girl do?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

I have my own voices that are original and in my head.

Geeze, Honey needs a confidante! Find a friend! Also, she doesn't feel comfortable talking to any guy who has a girlfriend? :|

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 pm
Smiley McSmiles

Maybe just not as something like a confidant. Even if it's strictly as friends it might look too close.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 am

Obbl wrote:
Maybe just not as something like a confidant. Even if it's strictly as friends it might look too close.

That's about it, right there. But not just that it might look too close as that she doesn't want to take him away from his girlfriend if she needs someone to talk to, even if arguably she's more in need than his girlfriend is at any given moment. She believes that his girlfriend should come first--if he were actually Honey's boyfriend it would be different, and if he doesn't have a girlfriend there's no problem.

--Phoenix

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Chapter 3

After awhile Rupert entered Honey's room to find her lying on the couch.

"I don't mind it, really, but sometimes I wish I had another me that I could talk to when I need to talk about my feelings. I know it's silly, but...I mean...I don't know, is it normal for everyone to feel this way, even those who are that to other people?"

"I...dunno, I'm not a pisa-key-a-tri--a pisa-key-a--a pisa-key--a head shrinker."

Honey sat up fast. "Rupert! How long were you there?"

"Just a couple seconds. Were you talking to yourself?"

Honey turned red, sinking her head into her shoulders and twiddling her thumbs. "Kinda."

"I guess it's nice to have a hobby, huh?"

Honey snickered. "Did you get that from Vanilla?"

Rupert cocked his head. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Because I know her humor. Say, where is she, anyway?"

Rupert put his paws behind his back. "She wanted some alone time."

"Oh. Well, don't take it personally, sometimes she just needs alone time. Listen, Rupert, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"Um, okay, sure," said Rupert.

"No, no--come inside."

Now it was Rupert's turn to turn red.

"What's the matter?" said Honey.

"Alone?"

"What do you mean, 'alone'?"

"I--I've never been alone with a pretty girl in her room before."

Honey turned her head and smiled. "Are you saying Vanilla isn't pretty?"

"Oh, no! No, that's not what I meant! It's just that...well, she's not my type. She's very pretty, but...I don't know, I can be at ease with her."

"Rupert, I'm not asking you to marry me, I just have a question."

Rupert looked nervous. "I'd rather stand here."

Honey sighed. "Okay, okay. My question is this: what exactly are your feelings about Vanilla?"

"She's funny!"

Honey nodded. "And?"

"And what?"

"Is that it?"

Rupert shrugged. "That's a good thing to be."

"Yes, it is, but that's not the only thing she is."

"What do you mean?"

"She's sensitive. She gets her feelings hurt easily."

Rupert hung his head. "Oh...I--I didn't know that. I'm glad you told me, it would never have occurred to me. Wow...and me being a writer and all."

Honey's ears perked up. "Did you say you're a writer?"

"...Yeah...?"

"Is that a question or an answer?"

Rupert snickered. "You're funny too!"

"Thank you. But is it true that you're a writer?"

Rupert nodded his head. "Please don't ask to read anything I've written."

"Why not?"

"Because it's too good."

Honey would have done a spit take if she had been drinking anything. "Well, someone has a high opinion of himself, doesn't he?"

"No, that's not a good thing!"

"You just said--"

"No, that's not what I mean...." Rupert gritted his teeth. "I mean, my Dad and Mom have said that I must have real insight into what makes people and pets tick if I can write what I do...but I don't. I don't understand anyone at all."

Honey scratched her head. "I find that very hard to believe. How can anyone think you have insight into what makes us tick if you don't understand others at all?"

Rupert bit his lip. "I fake it."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I fake it. I just divide everything about my characters into things I'd think, do, or say--and things I wouldn't, based on observations I make. And I integrate them into a cohesive whole. It's all phony."

Honey smiled. "Are you sure Vanilla's not your type? You sound just like her."

"Huh?"

"Never mind."

Rupert looked suddenly uncomfortable. "Are you mad at me?"

"What? Oh, no! No, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just a little...disappointed. It's nothing to do with you."

"Are you sure?"

"Oh, hockey! No, I'm not sure."

Rupert doubled over. "Did you just say 'Oh, hockey!'? That's priceless!"

"I guess I was just kind of hoping you did have some insight into my problem," said Honey.

Rupert tried to stop himself from laughing. "I told you, I'm not a pisa-key--"

"A psychiatrist?"

"No thanks, I'm not hungry."

Honey snorted. "Ow! That hurt my nose! But it was so worth it! Vanilla again?"

Rupert shuffled his foot against the floor. "No, that was one of my characters. If other people don't start things, I do better when I pretend I'm one of my characters."

Honey suddenly became interested again. "What do you mean?"

She was silent as Rupert began to explain.

"Wow...you and I have a lot in common, Mr. Rupert Catson," said Honey when Rupert was finished.

"How do you mean?"

"I'm the same way. I love to role-play, but lately I wonder if my characters aren't becoming more 'real' than I am."

Rupert looked surprised. "Really? How do you handle it?"

Honey groaned. "I was kind of hoping you could tell me."

"Oh...."

"I guess the blind can't lead the blind, huh?"

"I guess not," said Rupert. "I'm sorry."

"Oh no, don't apologize, it's not your fault. You are what you are, and that's a fine thing to be."

Rupert looked very surprised and touched to hear this. "Thank you, Honey. And you are what you are, and that's a fine thing to be."

Honey chuckled, rolling her eyes. "Heh--yeah, a pretty girl, right?"

Rupert looked embarrassed again.

"It's okay, I'm flattered. I don't get that very often."

"Really?" said Rupert, wondering if Honey were making another joke. "I'm surprised."

"Well, anyway...thanks for the talk, Rupert. I appreciate it."

Rupert nodded and looked around.

"What?"

"May I go now?"

Honey nodded.

"Sorry," said Rupert, as he left.

Honey was left to think about what Rupert had said. Maybe if Honey were to write it out for herself she would be able to work out her feelings better. Then again, she wasn't nearly as good of a writer as Vanilla was. Her instincts were more those of an actress.

She began to wonder if that was true of all great writers and actors, if they didn't know who they really were--if they could be anyone they wanted...except themselves. What a terrible thing! She hoped that wouldn't happen with herself. She wanted to have more of an identity than just someone to serve as an ear for Vanilla all the time. She honestly didn't mind helping Vanilla when Vanilla needed it--Honey always loved to help those who needed it, and felt badly when she couldn't--but Honey wanted to be more than just that. She wanted to have an identity all her own.

Then again, identity is partly context, isn't it? she thought. We were meant to be social, not solitary.

On the other hand, it wasn't right to let only others define who you were, was it? Honey didn't often hear herself being called "pretty", and both Rupert and those who didn't call her so couldn't both be right, could they?

Honey thought for a moment about what Rupert had said. He had called her "pretty". That wasn't a compliment she often got. She supposed she was, kind of, but it was rare that anyone called her so. She liked it, but it was a strange thing. She kind of wished that she had been called "pretty" by a boy who was more her type--not shy, but confident, a gentleman, who knew exactly who he was and what he liked in girls. Rupert was nice, and she was glad to have talked to him, but she supposed it wasn't right to want him to be different from what he was, just as it wasn't right to want herself to be different from who she was.

But who AM I? thought Honey. Who am I supposed to be? What do I want out of life?

She turned over between her back and her stomach on her bed. "I guess it's pisa-key-a-trist time again," she chortled.

--Phoenix

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 am
Game Master

Rupert is just adorabobble and he'll make a fine boyfriend! :D

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:22 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
Rupert is just adorabobble and he'll make a fine boyfriend! :D

With a few months of practice, maybe, for someone.... :roll:

--Phoenix

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 am
Game Master

I feel a good vibe from this puppy! :D

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:43 am
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

Rupert and Vanilla write a story, next Fan Fiction! :roll:

Hmm, seems Honey has really picked good questions to ask herself. If only she could choose some that often do change over time...

Rupert is a sweet pup.I hope the cakes and himself become the best of friends.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 pm
Game Master

copper wrote:
Rupert and Vanilla write a story, next Fan Fiction! :roll:

I could always throw in a cameo in mine... :lol:

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm
Profile WWW

@copper: :lol: Cute idea. :roll:

*nods* What do you mean, some that often do change over time?

Aw, thanks! :D Well, we'll see.

@valerio: A cameo of what in what? :?

--Phoenix

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 pm
Game Master

ChewyChewy wrote:

Why, Rupert, Vanilla and Honey, in my ficcie, of course :D

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:

Wow, I'm flattered! :D

You're welcome to do so as long as I get the final okay in terms of what you have them doing. :)

--Phoenix

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:32 am

I find the next two chapters oddly irrelevant from the first, but I think the story would end with Honey dreaming again with a better outcome in mind.

Fascinating, Rupert does seem to be like Beast Boy. Even BB has his nerdy moment.

ChewyChewy wrote:
valerio wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:

You're welcome to do so as long as I get the final okay in terms of what you have them doing. :)

A cameo in Radiant Garden or somewhere else? Will my character Rice appear as well?

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Game Master

ChewyChewy wrote:
valerio wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:

Worry not! I'll pester you with questions so to write it right before submitting the scene to you. :mrgreen:

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 am
Profile WWW

Chapter 4

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Rupert," said Honey.

"Yeah...ditto," said Vanilla.

"Nice meeting you girls, too," said Rupert. "I, um...."

"What is it?"

Rupert shrugged. "Nothing. I enjoyed my stay. I'll...see you around, I guess...."

"I hope so," said Honey, smiling.

Rupert started to smile--then stopped himself. "Bye now."

"Until we meet again," said Honey.

Rupert turned and left, and Honey closed the door.

"Okay, so?" said Honey.

Vanilla looked confused. "'So' what?"

"So, is the experiment over, 'Honey'?"

Vanilla looked at the clothes she was wearing, and turned red, as though she had forgotten she was still dressed like Honey.

"Excuse me...forgot myself in the other room. I'll go get her for you."

Honey waited patiently for Vanilla to change back into her usual green hoodie.

When Honey heard the familiar knock at her door, she opened it and at first was surprised to see Vanilla in her regular clothes standing there.

"You know, you actually looked better in my sweater and skirt, without the hood," said Honey.

"Hardy har," said Vanilla.

"Seriously, though, you do look a lot prettier without a hood."

Vanilla turned red. "Please don't."

"Come on, Vanilla, it's a compliment. I wish you'd learn to accept a compliment--and smile more."

Vanilla sighed. "That's why I was doing the experiment--if I looked like you, I wanted to see if I might feel more like you."

"What do you mean?"

Vanilla shifted her weight from one foot to another. "Confident...happy...smiley. But it failed. I knew it would."

"It was a nice idea, Vanilla, and I'm flattered, but you can be confident and happy and smiley without being ME. You can be funny without being me--you can be confident and smiley."

Vanilla groaned. "Kibble. I'm not funny, that's just sarcasm that comes out naturally."

"And it's FUNNY, Vanilla. You're just naturally talented."

Vanilla paced back and forth. "How do you do it?"

"I don't know...just comes naturally, I guess...." said Honey, starting to become uncomfortable.

"I knew it."

"What?"

"I'm just not naturally confident or happy."

Honey put a paw on Vanilla's shoulder. "You can be. Your being like this isn't YOU, Vanilla, it's circumstantial. You didn't used to be like this."

"I KNOW! I miss being the way I was, but I don't...I don't know how to get back there. I'll probably never get back there...."

Honey was really uncomfortable now. "Don't give up, Vanilla! If you changed once you can change back. Rupert liked you, didn't he?"

"KIBBLE!"

Honey backed off.

"I'm sorry...Honey...." said Vanilla, quivering in her voice and her lip. "But I wasn't able to be happy or smile around him. I'm just...I'm just frustrated. I mean, I was able to be comfortable around him--I really was! I'm never that comfortable around someone I don't know that well! But I still...I still couldn't smile, I couldn't just relax and be happy that I found someone who liked me--for me. What's wrong with me?"

"I don't know, I'm not a pisa-key-a-trist," said Honey.

"Honey, don't make jokes, I'm serious!"

"I was trying to kid you out of it, Vanilla," said Honey. "Anyway, I was serious. I'm not a pet therapist. Maybe you need one."

"They cost money, Dad'll never go for that."

Honey cocked her head. "He does nice things for us when we need to, and sometimes even when we want it. You know that."

"Forget it, Honey."

Honey put her paws on her hips. "You're not exactly giving yourself too many options, Vanilla."

"Huh?"

"You're painting yourself into a corner. You're miserable because you're afraid of being miserable."

Vanilla pulled her hood over her head. "I thought you weren't a pisa-key-a-trist."

Honey sighed. It was slightly louder and longer than her usual sigh. "If you want to be happy, you have to take some risks, Vanilla. Suppose Rupert called you up, what would you do?"

Vanilla gritted her teeth. "Hyperventilate, probably."

"Why? He's a nice pup."

"That's just it! I don't want to--I don't--I...."

Vanilla looked really upset now.

Honey was extremely uncomfortable now. "Do you want to be alone?"

"No--yes--maybe...GRAH, Kibble! I don't know.... I like Rupert, I really do. Not in THAT way, but...I think we could be very good friends. He likes Philip Glass music, even! But...I don't want to lose him.... I mean...unless I control it--unless I call things off...which might hurt his feelings...ARRGGHH!!!"

"Shh, Vanilla, Dad might think you're in pain!"

Vanilla began to tear up. "I wish I were you."

"No, you don't, Vanilla, believe me."

"You're so confident, so happy, so patient, so kind--everything I'm not."

"STOP IT, VANILLA!!"

Vanilla backed off into the corner. Honey gasped, and covered her mouth. Vanilla looked three years younger, cowering.

"Oh, Vanilla, I'm so sorry! I--I didn't mean to--I don't know where that came from--I...."

Vanilla looked away from Honey. "No...you're right...I turn people away. That's what I do. I just don't know how to stop! I don't want to be you, but...I want to have some of your traits. Maybe I should just try role-playing a character...."

"That won't solve anything, Vanilla. Listen, I am SO sorry for snapping at you. I really didn't mean to, I just haven't been having the best day myself."

Vanilla looked confused. "What happened to you?"

"I just...I'm a little unsure of who I am right now."

"What?"

"Vanilla, I'm happy to be here for you whenever you need me, and I'm happy to do my best to help you if I can...but that's not all I am."

Vanilla stared.

"I'm not always around you 24/7, Vanilla, and I honestly don't really want to be. That's no reflection on you, I'm just--I'm different from you."

Vanilla looked away again. "I don't want you around 24/7 either, but...I just wish I were more well-adjusted, so I wouldn't have to keep coming to you.... I didn't know it bothered you so much."

"It doesn't, Vanilla, really it doesn't. But I have my limits, just like you do."

Vanilla took a deep breath, and sighed. "We're a fine couple of dogs, aren't we? I guess I'll...try to work this out on my own."

She started to walk out of the room.

"Um...if you do need anything...."

Vanilla stopped. She didn't turn around. She continued out the door without saying anything.

Honey had a lump in her throat.

Don't you start too--you want to end up the same way, unable to be happy no matter what you do? she thought to herself.

Honey flumped onto her bed and lay on her back, thinking.

I really hope Vanilla and Rupert become friends. Even if they're not exactly the best of friends, like with Strawberry, that would at least be something. I don't exactly expect them to become boyfriend and girlfriend, though that'd be lovely, but at least friends would be something.

She rolled over onto her stomach.

Anyway, I don't know how I'd handle it if Vanilla got a boyfriend before me. I want her to be happy, and to find love, but--and I'm not "better" than she is--but....

She rolled over onto her back again. Careful, Honey, don't actively wish that they won't become a couple just because of your own jealousy....

Honey began to feel sick to her stomach again.

--Phoenix

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am
Game Master

i like it when there is a good confrontation, open feelings, sincerity -even if those must be pulled out by force. Come on, Vanilla, don't pull a McBeal and try ask a date with Rupert! GO GIRL! :D

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:07 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
i like it when there is a good confrontation, open feelings, sincerity -even if those must be pulled out by force. Come on, Vanilla, don't pull a McBeal and try ask a date with Rupert! GO GIRL! :D

"Pull a McBeal"? :?

And Vanilla's not going to do that. Even if she were interested, she would prefer it that he initiated things.

--Phoenix

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:09 am
Game Master

Ally McBeal is the main character of the namesake series -a woman with a serious, serious case of self-confidence, with a good friend who, just like Honey, keeps trying to help Ally into getting a life, more confidence, etc...and failing miserably 8 times out of 10. Vanilla reminds me a lot of Ally.

And I'm sure that if Vanilla was drugged into a coma and her limbs were pulled like a puppet and Honey threw her voice, then she could sucessfuly ask Rupert out for a date :lol:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
Ally McBeal is the main character of the namesake series -a woman with a serious, serious case of self-confidence, with a good friend who, just like Honey, keeps trying to help Ally into getting a life, more confidence, etc...and failing miserably 8 times out of 10. Vanilla reminds me a lot of Ally.

And I'm sure that if Vanilla was drugged into a coma and her limbs were pulled like a puppet and Honey threw her voice, then she could sucessfuly ask Rupert out for a date :lol:

I've heard the name, I haven't watched the show. (Looked it up and I'm not sure I want to.)

And that would be so phony--who'd want to date Pinocchio?

--Phoenix

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 am
Game Master

Rupert may fall for a literature character... :?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
Rupert may fall for a literature character... :?

I'm just saying, he'd rather have someone authentic, if anything.

--Phoenix

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 am
Puppy Wrangler

Ooo, update! Still having trouble with inspiration?

So Honey is finally getting to tell Vanilla to get help. Good! She needs some. A lot of things to deal with.

Seems Rupert has something on his mind here.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

copper wrote:
Ooo, update! Still having trouble with inspiration?

So Honey is finally getting to tell Vanilla to get help. Good! She needs some. A lot of things to deal with.

Seems Rupert has something on his mind here.

Is that your way of saying this chapter is not very good? :P

*nods*

Nothing earth-shattering--he was just too shy to say he hoped they would meet again.

--Phoenix

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next