Alterations

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

dr_eirik

Alterations

Post by dr_eirik »

So, I've toyed with a followup to my last story, Abduction (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4860) for a long time. I had a lot of false starts, and a bit of rewriting here and there but I think I'm settled on the story enough to start posting. The one thing that still bothers me personally a little is the timing of events. I had to make things a bit tighter to work in my mind than I might have otherwise, but hopefully it won't hinder the story. I don't think tht this will end up being as long as the last one, but who knows. At least I'm not spending the entire lockdown watching old CSI episodes. ( I can't, I watch the last one this morning.) I'll wait a couple days between sections so I have time to write a few pages ahead.

Anyway, on with the story....

Alterations

Joshua padded though the early morning light, making almost no sound. He sniffed, noting a familiar tang in the air.

He heard his prey before he saw him. The sound of quiet sniveling came from a pile of leaves near the edge of the stream. He walked over and shook his head, “You think that’s hiding? Were you a pet or something?” The sniveling stopped and there wasn’t any response, so Joshua pushed the leaves off. “There you are.”

The raccoon was in rough shape. He was shivering, his fur dirty and matted where he had laid in his own filth. His eyes were half lidded and stained with tears. He also smelled like decay. He stared at the mountain lion with a mix of fear and exhaustion. “A-are you here to k-kill me?”

“That would be kinder,” admitted Joshua. “But I have a promise to keep.” He bent down and hefted the raccoon. The thing was half starved. On a normal day he could have hauled him up the side of a tree in his mouth by the neck. This guy felt more like a squirrel.

“What are you doing?” asked the raccoon weakly. He made a very mild effort to escape but was so exhausted he gave up after seconds.

“I should be breaking your neck about now,” said the mountain lion. “Lucky for you, that leg is infected. I’d have to be pretty hungry to eat you. Besides, I had a fat rabbit just a couple days ago.” The raccoon shivered harder, and Joshua was pretty sure it wasn’t because of his fever.

It didn’t take too long to get the ranger station. Gale had left the raccoon by that part of the old elk run intentionally. It was close enough to get to the station easily but far enough that it wasn’t likely for the rangers to find the inured animal on a routine patrol. For the first time ever, Joshua knocked on the door.

The ranger answered and almost jumped back. “Joshua!” he cried out, looking like he was about to soil himself. His hand fell to the can of pepper spray on his belt, but he didn’t pull it out. “What…?

Joshua resisted a grin, he knew that being so close would bother the rangers but he liked to give them a thrill from time to time. He made it a point to make sure he met the rangers, but usually out in the woods where they wouldn’t feel trapped. “I’m here to leave this injured raccoon. He’s rotting, the meat isn’t good anymore.”

The ranger looked at the animal and then back at Joshua. “Thank you. Can you lay him on that cot?” he said pointed to the small infirmary in the back of the station. He stepped back to give the lion a wide berth. “I’ve never heard of you doing this before.”

“I’m doing a favor for a friend,” he admitted. “Don’t expect this to be a habit.”

He laid the raccoon down, and then leaned in very close to his ear, “If you survive this.” He whispered, “if you threaten Gale or Pueblo again, I’ll kill you.”

The raccoon squeaked in terror and turned away, facing the wall.

Joshua turned and moved carefully to the door, not wanting a face full of the rangers’ spray. “Joshua?” asked the nervous human. “Can I ask you something?”

The lion stopped and turned, “I am not your friend,” he said. “I’m not interested in a conversation.”

The ranger shook his head and pulled a wanted poster off the wall. “I was just wondering if you had seen this human in the woods in the last week? He is wanted for dognapping a police dog. Until we find him, there are going to be more humans and police dogs in the woods.” He nervously held out the paper, “I’m sure you’d like to avoid that.”

Joshua took the poster and shook his head, “I saw him near one of the cabins a couple weeks ago, but not recently.”

“Please, if you see him just let us know. We’ll catch him.” He took the poster back, “His name is Orwell Johnson.”

Marion stood on the kitchen counter, anxious to help. The problem was that he was barely 18 inches tall in a world built for humans. Or at least their pets.

His mother had insisted on thanking all the various animals that had helped him out in his first few days as a squirrel. She still felt bad for having swept him out of the house before knowing who he was. Once she had accepted that the gray female squirrel was her son, she’d had a retro-active panic attack when she realized he could have died in those first hours.

Marion glanced out the sliding glass door into the backyard where there were several K9 officers and residents of the possums treehouse. He’d been worried about all of them getting along, but they all seemed at least passingly familiar with each other. For the most part, like a junior high school party, they hung out on their own sides.

“Marion, can you grab the pepper from the shelf?” asked Lois who was busy prepping the burgers.

“You’re taller than I am,” he said with a smirk.

Lois narrowed her eyes at him, a look that the bobcat had mastered after only having that body for a month, “I’m two feet shorter than I was so I’d need a stepladder, and my paws are covered in ground beef. Just leap up there and get it.”

After whipping her a quick salute, he climbed up a macramé ladder to the correct shelf until he was by the pepper. “Heads up!” he shouted as he pushed it and let it fall into her paws. She waggled it at him in thanks and went back to her work.

Without warning, a human hand patted him on the head. He didn’t have to turn to know it was his old babysitter. “Oh, you are still a helpful boy,” said Mrs. McGillicuddy. Marion allowed the pat on the head, he was getting used to it. There were only three people on the planet he accepted that from. Well, two people and one bobcat.

“I still can’t believe that you helped those raccoon steal from her,” his mother said a little grimly as she made coleslaw near the sink.

“Oh, Julia, he didn’t steal anything,” chided McGillicuddy. “Truck and Falstaff feel better if they play their little game.”

“Besides, I was starving,” Marion interjected, a bit more sharply than he’d intended.

Julia sighed, she had latched onto that little incident and couldn’t get over it no matter how often it was explained. “Marion, why don’t you head out back and tell everyone that we’ll grill up the burgers in just a few minutes.”

“Sure, mom.” He looked over the edge of the counter. “Do you mind lowering me down?”

His mother put her hand out and he stepped on it. “I though you could jump from this high?”

“I can,” said Marion. “I just didn’t want to.” He took off out the open slider, bobbed and weaved between furry legs, and leaped up onto the table. “Hey, everyone. Burgers are going out in just a few minutes.”

There was a general murmur of approval. Marion was going to head back into the kitchen when a muscular Doberman put a paw out. “Marion, I haven’t had the chance to apologize to you for chasing you.” He glanced over at his Sergent who had clearly directed this conversation, “ I didn’t know that you were human. I mean, you don’t really look human….”

Marion took the offered paw, or more like a finger, and shook. “It’s fine, officer. No harm done.” Marion made eye contact with the German Shepherd and tried to communicate that he was, indeed, fine with it. It had given him good practice since Lois’s dog Devo kept chasing him. Which was why Lois had forbidden him from coming over today. He glanced over to see Fox and waved him over. “Fox! How are you doing?”

The husky got closer. He was still wearing a patch over his eye and bore deep scratches that looked like they may scar. “I’m doing good. Not sure what’s going to happen with the eye yet. Still healing everyday.” He took a chip. “You getting along?”

Marion shrugged, “A little all the time.” He chatted with the husky until Kevin wandered off. He didn’t hold anything against the Doberman, but his one and only interaction with him so far had not been that great. He understood that Lois had hit it off with him, though.

Marion mingled here and there, at least from his perch on the snack table. He looked at a bowl that he didn’t recognize, battered and scratched, with a mix of chopped greens and some unidentifiable stuff. He picked at it with a toothpick and fished some out to try. There was a flavor here that he didn’t recognize, but it was good. He suspected one of the K9’s had brought it.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Marion, we’ll keep an eye out for owls.”

The squirrel froze and turned slowly, finding himself looking at Falstaff who had been talking with the possum Jessica. “W-what do you mean?”

“Truck and I made that ourselves! It’s a mix of wild greens, roots and nuts from the woods.” He gestured toward the kitchen, “We can’t rely on humans for all our food.”

The possum facepalmed. “What did you two idiots do?”

Marion felt his vision narrow, “Nuts?” Despite his new body, he had not been retested for his old tree nut allergy. And now he felt his throat closing. “Oh… get my mom! I need…”

Fox, realizing first what was happening, raced into the house. “Marion is having an allergy attack! Do you have an EpiPen?”

Julia was out the door with her purse in a flash, dumping the contents on the ground before she pulled out the device. She was ready to inject her child before she stopped and looked ashen. “This is for an adult human! I hadn’t gotten one for a squirrel yet!”

Fox perked up, “My dad has a kit at the house, it has a small animal pen!” Lois didn’t wait for instructions, but grabbed Marion, cradling him like a football and raced out the open gate.

Ralph pointed at Mungo, ‘Go with her!” The Great Dane didn’t skip a beat and was out the door before anyone could react. Ralph pulled out his cell phone, “This is K9 Seargent Ralph. We need a vet ambulance to Lt. Lindbergs home…”

Mungo managed to catch up to the bobcat, “Follow me! I know a shortcut!” he veered though a side yard and through the fence on the side of the house, then though the back fence into a different yard, then though another fence. Lois jumped though the holes, avoiding the splinters and nails. She took a moment to glance down at Marion and felt sure his lips were turning blue.

Mungo took a left down the street and a few doors down he veered to the front door of the Lindburg home. Without a pause, the dog broke down the door. Lois was halfway across the lawn when he came out with a large medical bag and opened it. “Found it!”

Lois gently laid her boyfriend out on the lawn. “Stick him with it!”

Mungo suddenly looked sick. “I… I… can’t.”

Lois rolled her eyes and snatched the tiny EpiPen from his hand. She looked at it long enough to see that it was for small animals, snapped the top off and stabbed Marion in the hip.

She held her breath, waiting. It felt like ages, but the tiny squirrel suddenly gasped and started breathing. Lois started crying and knelt down, nuzzling him.

The rest of the invited K9’s jogged up behind them. Fox glared over at Mungo. “If you’d have just waiting a second, I have the key!”

Marion slowly opened his eyes, but his brain felt heavy and slow. “Lois? What happened?” he managed to ask with difficulty.

Still dripping tears, she nuzzled the squirrels’ neck. “We almost lost you, dummy,” she said.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Wed May 13, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
D-Rock

Re: Alterations

Post by D-Rock »

A pretty good start, I'd say. Interesting to set up how some of the wild animals are with forest rangers.

I'm guessing you made Lois get along with Kevin because of how good Lois was at pouncing?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:28 pm A pretty good start, I'd say. Interesting to set up how some of the wild animals are with forest rangers.

I'm guessing you made Lois get along with Kevin because of how good Lois was at pouncing?
I figured in a world where the animals are sapient, the smart ones would at least make themselves known to the rangers.

Lois and Kevin becoming, if not friends at least friendly, seemed right to me for some reason.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I really like this. It’s nice to see more of Joshua, and to see Marion and Lois getting to know the neighborhood animals. Looking forward to seeing more.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really think this is a promising story! I hope that you continue on with it!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

The next chunk of the story. Not much to say here, just read it!

Orwell was in and out of consciousness, his head pounding, and his vision grayed. He was dimly aware of the ranger asking him questions, but he wasn’t in much of a state to respond. The man had tried to peel back the bandage around the raccoons leg but stopped when a putrid odor wafted into the room. He gave the raccoon water with a small syringe and generally tried to keep him comfortable.

It took about half an hour for a vet ambulance to arrive at the isolated station. The paramedic looked over the injured animal and shook his head. “Hank, I don’t think that this one is going to make it. It might have been kinder to euthanize him.”

The ranger nodded grimly, “You might be right. But this guy was brought by Joshua.”

The paramedic did a double take. “Josuha? Mountain lion Joshua?”

“One and the same, and he wouldn’t tell me exactly why he didn’t kill and eat this guy.” He patted the feverish raccoon, “I think it best to try and save him and figure out his interest later.”

There wasn’t any more debate as they loaded the raccoon into the ambulance and started on the long drive to town.

Oswald struggled to stay awake, even if he felt too weak to respond. It helped that one of the EMTs gave him an injection that took the edge off the pain. It let him untense his muscles and relax. The arrival at the ER wasn’t like on TV, there wasn’t a team of surgeons and nurses that swarmed him. A couple of nurses took him to a treatment room and started getting vitals, inserting a line to take IV and then hanging a bag of saline. Oswald felt a cool rush up his arm as the fluid started to permeate his bloodstream.

Once they were done, a vet walked in. She smiled at him, “Good morning, Mr. Raccoon. Do you have a name I can call you?”

Oswald balked. He was about to give his real name when he realized that might raise eyebrows. Maybe not here, but there were a couple out there that knew enough to put things together. He blurted out the first name to pop into his head, “Joel.” He winced then closed his eyes.

After a few hours laying in pain, he was wheeled into surgery. Oswald noticed that none of the humans seemed that interested in what he wanted. He strained for a moment, “What’s happening?” he finally asked.

One of the nurses ran her fingers gently along his ear, “We’re going to see if we can save your leg.” Then another woman placed a clear mask over his muzzle and the world went dark.

The world came back faster than he expected. It was dark, then it was light. He opened his eyes and had to reorient himself. It was the first time in a week that he’d slept well, the first time he woke not in screaming agony.

He tried to take stock, but there was a disconnect in his brain. He’d been in the hospital before, but he’d never step foot in a vet facility. It was different in a way that he couldn’t put a finger, or a paw, on. His body felt numb, save for a dull ache near where his leg had been shattered. He slowly raised his hand and took a deep look at his hand, or paw now. He’d been human not all that long ago.

Oswald wondered what had happened in surgery. He started to reach for the blanket when a nurse stopped him. “Hey, little guy. How’re you feeling?”

Oswald looked at her, “I feel better, thank you,” he said.

The nurse patted his paw. “That’s good. You’re a lucky critter, we almost lost you.”

The raccoon pondered that. “I almost died,” he mused aloud. If not for that mountain lion, he would be dead and rotting under that tree. Unmissed. Unmounred.

The nurse sighed, “Let me get the doctor. She can explain it better than I can.”

“Look, what happened in surgery?” he asked bluntly. In a quick movement, he flung back the blanket and revealed the missing leg. “No….” was all he could managed before he felt lightheaded and faded out.

Marion was feeling better by the time the ambulance reached the animal hospital, but the vet didn’t seem to care. She was unnerved by his history, in that he was human only a month before, and while she was a good vet, she wasn’t sure what she should do differently. “I doubt we take your medical insurance, Mrs. Ward,” she admitted nervously at one point.

In the end, it was mostly paperwork that had to be worked out. Thankfully, some lawyer working for the Miltons had thought at least this far ahead and Marion was covered. All he had to do was get better and go home.

After a couple hours, Marion felt like a pin cushion. They had drawn blood more than once, though very little compared with what they took when he was human. Idly, he wondered where all that mass went. It’s not like he woke up that morning surrounded by his remains.

“Feeling better, Snack?”

Marion glanced up to see Lois gazing down at him. She was obviously worried, but also hid it very well. “I feel better now.” He told her. “You’ll have to wait until I’m cleared to eat me,” he added with a grin.

She lowered a paw and ran it along his head, “You gave us all a real scare. Don’t do that again,” she said with clear emotion in her voice.

Marion leaned into her paw, it felt good, “I’ll do my best. Also, the raccoons are banned from bringing anything over to eat.”

“They did this?” she snapped. Her paw tightened around his body. “I’ll… speak with them.” She said, letting out a breath and letting go of her squirrely boyfriend.

His mother and Lois had both offered to stay, but there really wasn’t a way to pull that off. They had no where for Julia to sleep and the staff, even knowing that Lois wasn’t the average bobcat, didn’t think it was a good idea. There were several pets staying overnight and they might have a hard time resting with the scent of a predator down the hall.

Marion was assigned a bed, one that he was sure had started its life as an infant bed in a human hospital. He still felt weak, but he was sure that he’d be out by morning. Though the staff all seemed nervous about promising that. “Why don’t you guys head out,” he finally said when he felt sleep slowly taking him, “Just come get me in the morning.”

Lois hung back for a moment after his mother left. She patted him again on the head and gently scratched behind an ear. “You take care of yourself,” she said with clear emotion in her voice. “I don’t want to have to go hunting for you again.”

“I promise, I won’t leave this bed without a nurse helping me,” Marion said. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

Lois took half a step away, then turned and leaned in, breathing in deeply. “Just in case, Snack.” She said, tapping her nose before she left the room.

Marion settled back in the bed and yawned. It had been a long day, his body still ached from everything, especially where the needle had gone in. At least he knew for sure that his nut allergy had carried over.

“How did you make friends with that guy?” asked a voice from behind a nearby curtain. A paw reached out and pulled back a privacy curtain. “I’d have thought he’d have snapped you up sooner than talk to you.”

Marion looked over at the raccoon laying in the bed. He was emaciated and was missing a leg, but seemed to be friendly. “It’s a long story, mister.”

The raccoon sat up on the edge of the bed and slid to the floor, hobbling over. “We have nothing but time, miss.” He stuck out a paw, “The names Joel, by the way.”

Oswald came around a short time after passing out. There wasn’t anyone looking over him directly, but a dog in the next bed alerted the nurse. “Ah, Joel. You’re awake. How are you feeling?”

The raccoon glared at her but held back what he wanted to say. “Fine,” he managed curtly. “I’m missing my leg, am I?”

The nurse waved off the question, letting the vet come in to make it official. “We just couldn’t save it,” she admitted. “You leg was decaying right on your body. It’s still going to be a while before we can let you out of here.”

Oswald pondered that. Whatever had happened in that cabin had made him this critter, which he might have lived with if he didn’t fall instantly into the paws of that mountain lion. She’d been the one to break his leg and he was sure she had orchestrated it so that he would be laying out in the woods for days while it festered.

Taking his lack of response for despair, the vet patted him gently on the head, “Don’t worry, we’ll make sure that you’re taken good care of.” She pulled a chair over and say, “There are great rehab facilities set up for the injured. And there are human that might take you in, too.”

Oswald rolled his eyes, “So I can be a pet?”

The vet nodded slowly, sensing that she was on delicate ground, “Joel, we can let you go back to the wild, but you should think about that. Think hard about it. You might not live out there long.” She paused and stood. “Tomorrow I’ll have one of our counselors talk to you. You’ll like him, he’s a pine marten that we helped after he was mauled by a bear. He’s been working here since he recovered.”

Oswald glared at her. Despite everything, he still felt like human society was a sick place. There was a part of him that wished his plan had worked and that she’d been turned into a mouse. He closed his eyes in thought. Then again, if everything had played out like he’d planned, he’d probably be dead. That mountain lion had made that much clear. “Thank you, doctor,” he said, not trying to keep the contempt out of his voice. “I’ll think about my options.”
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A week with a festering wound? Yeah, there was never any saving that limb. I see that now he might consider moving Marion to his side. Let’s see how that goes.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

How did you switch from Orwell to Oswald? or was that intentional?
Curious where this is going. Looking forward to more :D
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Obbl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:33 pm How did you switch from Orwell to Oswald? or was that intentional?
Curious where this is going. Looking forward to more :D
No, that was a screw up that was tickling the back of my brain at some point but I forgot to go back and double check. I think I'll go fix it...
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Don’t trust him, Marion. Good work, I don’t envy Falstaff and Truck when Lois has a talk with them.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really great job on this! Make sure you keep on writing!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bundered into this epic, dr., and very glad I did. Tightly written and intriguing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that he has a lot more of the story left that he will tell soon!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I've got enough to post at least one more part, perhaps two, but I'm trying to keep a reserve so I can make sure I'm still posting. It was a good thing because I kinda forgot to write an entire scene in an unposted portion.

But thanks for the encouragement!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course. That is what I am here for. You are a better writer than you think!
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I'm thrilled that you're continuing this storyline. Your writing is as concise and entertaining as ever. :)
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

Im excited to see where this goes.
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Life got in the way. Some things are hopefully going to mellow in the next week and I'll be able to get back to it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We can wait!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You can take as long as you need eirik. We aren't going to rush you so if you have to take care of things in your life don't feel the need to get anxious about not writing these stories because everybody understands.
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

You know what they say about those who wait
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If only more people could actually have that as a takeaway instead of being impatient.