A One-Shot Repository

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Rollofthedice

A One-Shot Repository

Post by Rollofthedice »

Hey there, forumites!

So, sometimes I write little ditties that happen to be both too unrelated to my other stories to fit in those threads, and too short to warrant a new thread. So, I've decided to make this a little corner of the internet where people can post their one-shots.

That's right, I said people in the plural sense. If anyone wants to contribute to this thread with their own one-shots, then go right ahead! As long as they relate to Housepets! and follow the forum's guidelines and rules, then I welcome them. They can be long, short, or medium-sized, as long as they fit into a single post. (Though, if you think it's long enough, then I would recommend just making a new thread for it.)

I'll be posting my own one-shot sometime this afternoon. Welp, nevermind that.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

Rollofthedice

Re: A One-Shot Repository

Post by Rollofthedice »

(Oh, wow, a one-shot from Rollofthedice that is lighthearted? HOLY MOLY! :lol: I'm somewhat certain this follows forum guidelines. If it doesn't though, I guess I'll find out.)
(EDIT: Changed a sentence in regards to Brent's helpful observation.)

"Oh, Parnok!" Kurok exclaimed. "What strong muscles you have!"

"Why, thank you, my friend," Parnok remarked in a disheartened tone, "But I don't think I can accept the advances of a woman with such a manly name."

Kurok looked as if about to faint. "But Parnok! Ambiguously sexist undertones aside, you know that the only reason that is so is because of that terrible yet strangely liberating accident I had when I was a-"

"Hey, Grape!"

Grape shut her laptop almost instantaneously upon hearing her name.

"What do you want?" She asked, eyes narrowed.

"Do you know where the dog treats are?"

Grape sighed. "Peanut, why would I know where dog treats are? I'm a cat, remember?"

"Well, I thought that since you always seem to know where the frying pans are, you'd know where everything else is."

Grape turned a bit in her seat to glare at Peanut. "I have no idea, okay? Now leave me alone." Peanut frowned, and left to head back into the kitchen. Continuing to stare - as to make sure that the canine would not be heading back - Grape slowly opened her laptop. Satisfied that there were no further distractions, she went back to work.

In the Sandwich's household, not even the animals were up past midnight. Peanut, however, broke that tradition.

Grape had left the door to her bedroom open, as she usually did; it made things more efficient whenever she had to head out and hunt for a morning snack. Tiptoeing into her room, Peanut saw her laptop, sitting quietly next to the feline's bed. Peanut kept his eyes on Grape's sleeping form, as he quickly grabbed it and sneaked over into the living room. Sitting on the couch, he opened the lid, powered the laptop on, and waited for it to start up.

To Peanuts' pleasant surprise, it was only on sleep mode, and soon was on Grape's desktop. The dog whisked his paw over the touchpad, mousing over MSPaint. Something caught his eye before he started the program, however. On the taskbar, flanked by web links regarding the taste of certain kinds of fish, was an open document. Peanut clicked on it, and took a quick skim. Then, with very wide eyes, he took another.

It was a fanfic, titled 'The Origin of Kurok's Super Kawaii Name'. Peanut winced at the gratuitous Japanese, and soon found the fic to be as bad as the title.

As the dog stared at the laptop screen, mouth agape, a curious and quite wonderful idea took hold of him. Trying quite hard not to laugh, he went online, and noticed with glee that Grape had had Internet Explorer remember her password for Gmail. Peanut composed an email under her name, titling it the same as the fanfiction he had just read. Smirking, he sent it to Res.

"...And then the dragon beat up the snowstorm which was a giant-"

Grape groaned. "I don't want to hear about this supernatural stuff. Why do we have to keep delving into that like it's our business? Let's just have a normal conversation about normal things."

"Oh, okay." Peanut sat next to Grape, staring ahead in silence. A sudden guilty thought struck him. Without really thinking, he blurted out-

"I e-mailed your fanfic to Res."

*PFFF*
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I like it. a few notes though:

that title doesn't seem like something Grape would write, though I guess that's why she was embarrased.

I find it hard to believe someone with a Fullmetal Alchemist book as seen on the floor here would have no idea what Kawaii means. He also plays games, so he probably uses the internet often, all of which together should have taught him the meaning of that word.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I like it. a few notes though:

that title doesn't seem like something Grape would write, though I guess that's why she was embarrased.
Strange, hidden facets of a personality can sometimes be revealed inside a person when they write. Imagine this as Grape's secret, Japanese-flavored shame, which only shows itself in her fanfics about buff lions. :lol:
I find it hard to believe someone with a Fullmetal Alchemist book as seen on the floor here would have no idea what Kawaii means. He also plays games, so he probably uses the internet often, all of which together should have taught him the meaning of that word.
Hmm, a good point - methinks I'll do some editing. Thanks for catching that!

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice story, though with what we have seen with Grape, I think she can write better than that. Perhaps this was a joke fanfic or something? :lol:

Wonderfully written as always. Peanut seems so cat like in this one. Staying up late, mischievously pranking his sister.... wonderful! :roll:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?