Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
When Honey Met Vanilla 

Post When Honey Met Vanilla
New Cake sisters story! :D This is a flashback story. Hope you like it!

Thanksgiving was coming up, and Honey and Vanilla were trying to think of what they were thankful for—other than food. And their dad. And food. And their home. And food. And their friends. And food. And each other. And food.

“What are you thankful for, Vanilla?” said Honey.

Vanilla shrugged. “I guess I’m thankful for the fact that someone occasionally puts up with me. More so that someone actually wanted to adopt me—you don’t know what it was like at the pet shop before you and Dad came.”

“I don’t know about that, I wasn’t so well off myself before Dad adopted me.”

Vanilla folded her arms. “Don’t make fun of me.”

“I wasn’t,” said Honey sincerely. “I wasn’t like you, exactly, but it wasn’t a picnic.”

“Didn’t you have friends? Didn’t you get adopted easily?”

“Yes, but…well, you just don’t know.”

Honey turned around but didn’t leave Vanilla’s room.

Vanilla cocked an eyebrow. Honey was serious. She so rarely was serious that Vanilla knew when it was the case.

“I…guess you don’t want to talk about it…?”

“No…probably better that I do,” said Honey. “Then you’ll have a better appreciation for how much I’m thankful for YOU.”

“Me?” said Vanilla, unsure if she was being put on.

“You. You have no idea….”

Honey was an adorable ball of fur in the pet shop. She did not remember her mother, nor any brothers or sisters she might have had. Being a longhaired collie her headfur kept getting in her face. Sometimes she had fun blowing it out of her eyes, sometimes not.

She found it very easy to make friends, although sometimes she had to say goodbye, and would miss them. But she was never sad for long, because she remembered. She was good at that, remembering what the other pets were like—what they looked like, what they smelled like, how they talked, how they walked, what their personality was like. And she was good at imitating that too—VERY good. So she was never really lonely.

“Hey, Armin, wanna play with me?” she said, panting and wagging her tail.

Then, getting into character as the German Shepherd pup Armin who had recently been adopted, she stood stiff and straight and said, “Well, all right, as long as you don’t overdo it. You know I don’t like you climbing all over me.”

“Sorry,” she said as herself. “I promise not to do it this time.”

She proceeded to have a tug of war with herself.

“Honey!”

Honey’s ears perked up as she turned. The owner of the pet shop was showing a human man around the place—somehow Honey had learned the difference between male and female humans, but it wasn’t easy. The man was just a bit plump, and starting to go bald. He had marks on his nose from glasses although he wasn’t wearing any. And he had no discernable expression on his face.

This man…gave Honey mixed feelings. She wasn’t sure if she wanted him to adopt her or not. He didn’t look all that fun. Then again, maybe that meant that he needed her to put a smile on his face. If that were true then she DEFINITELY wanted him to adopt her.

“Here she is, Mr. Cake. You can get to know each other, and let me know what you think.”

Cake. Honey Cake. Honey stifled a giggle—she thought the name sounded funny, but she wouldn’t mind being called that.

“Hello, Mr. Cake!” said Honey, wagging her tail.

Mr. Cake grunted.

Honey cocked her head. Humans didn’t grunt. At least, not that she knew of. Honey grunted back as though trying to speak his language.

Mr. Cake frowned. Honey didn’t know if this meant that he didn’t approve or was just confused, but she stopped.

“I live alone,” said Mr. Cake, and Honey wasn’t sure if he was addressing her or speaking into the air. “Don’t like living alone.”

“I can keep you company, sir!” said Honey. “We can have fun!”

Mr. Cake shrugged. “Don’t know.”

Honey made with the cute puppy eyes. Mr. Cake looked out the corner of his eye.

“You’d have to obey the rules,” said Mr. Cake as though he feared this might make Honey say no.

“I can obey rules!” said Honey. “I’m very good at memorizing things!”

“No jumping up on me. No messing up the floor. No noise when I’m watching TV or sleeping. No getting into my food.”

Honey repeated the rules to herself. “Got it. I can follow those rules, Mr. Cake. You can count on me!”

Mr. Cake gave her the once over. Honey blushed, and this time was rather glad her headfur got in her eyes.

Mr. Cake shrugged. “I guess you’ll do.”

It was all Honey could do NOT to jump up, because Mr. Cake had said he didn’t like that. She settled for a “DADDY!” which seemed to make him uncomfortable, but he didn’t tell her not to.

Honey saw nothing but the positives in her new home. It was big. BIG. And she discovered that she would not have to be in a cage in this house. She just had to obey the rules. She didn’t care if the house wasn’t all that pretty—it was her HOME. She entered proudly, wearing the blue collar with a beehive tag that Mr. Cake had got her.

“Remember the rules, Honey,” said Mr. Cake.

“Yes sir, Daddy,” said Honey, imitating his voice.

Mr. Cake frowned, but said nothing. Honey became uncomfortable. She couldn’t read him. She didn’t know if that bothered him or not. He didn’t tell her NOT to, but he didn’t smile either. She supposed that if he didn’t want her to do it he would tell her not to. He seemed like that type. Perhaps if she did it enough she would get a smile out of him—either that or he WOULD tell her to stop it. Either way, she’d know.

“Only have a few things for you,” said Mr. Cake, perhaps apologetically. “Costs a lot.” He pointed to a dog bed and a bag of kibble. Honey didn’t mind—they were HERS.

“Money’s scarce these days,” said Honey in his voice, nodding. “But thanks.” In her own voice she said, “Thank you very much, Daddy.”

“Yeah.”

He checked his watch. “My program’s on.”

“I’ll watch with you!”

Mr. Cake looked uncomfortable. “No noise.”

“I promise.”

Honey didn’t realize she would come to regret making such a promise.

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Post Re: When Honey Met Vanilla
Wow, I don't recall you ever giving a physical description of Mr. Cake.

Awkward is the relationship between man and dog, that it's a surprise that having an aloof sister made the situation better.

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for your reply! :D Yeah, I don't think I described him in much detail. :roll:

Oh, you'll see how that made it better. ;) But for now here's Chapter 2!

“Hey, Honey, what’s wrong?’ said Honey in the voice of a Dalmatian named Janice.

“Oh…I broke a rule on my first night in my new house,” she replied in her own voice. “I made noise while Daddy was watching TV. I didn’t mean to.”

Honey was locked in one of the spare rooms which Mr. Cake said would be her room from now on. He didn’t have a doghouse, so she didn’t have to be outside. She was glad of that much, at least. There wasn’t a lot of fun stuff to play with, though.

“You wanna talk about it?” said “Janice.”

“Well…what that lady said scared me, and I whined. Daddy said there’s going to be a new rule. When he’s watching TV I have to go to my room.”

“Janice” looked around. “Do you not like your room?”

Honey shrugged. “It’s MINE. And it’s a lot bigger than the cage I used to stay in at the pet shop. I guess it would be nice if there were one or two toys or something to play with, though. But I don’t want to complain. Daddy adopted me, and I’m glad he did.”

“But it gets lonesome, doesn’t it?” said “Armin”, taking the liberty of entering as well.

Honey chuckled. “I’m not lonesome. I’m not living alone here. Daddy’s here. Besides, if I get lonesome—and I’m not saying I will—I have you guys to keep me company, right?”

“True,” said “Armin”, “but we can’t hug you if you need it.”

Honey nodded. She laughed a little at how silly she was being. She had a home, an owner, even a room.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door that shooed away Honey’s friends.

“Yes?”

Mr. Cake unlocked the door. “Show’s over.”

“It is?” said Honey, not quite sure what that meant.

Mr. Cake nodded, then shrugged. “You can come out now if you want.”

A smile came to Honey’s face. She wanted very much to hug him, but hesitated. He didn’t want her jumping on him. She decided to open her arms and see what he did.

“Thanks, Daddy.”

Mr. Cake looked a little uncomfortable. He patted her head. Well, it wasn’t a hug, but it was something—and it made Honey grin even more.

Honey had been living with Mr. Cake for days when Mr. Cake noted that Honey was getting…grubby. Her fur was discolored, and getting tangled. It took days for him to realize that it was his own fault for not giving her a bath. He wasn’t used to having a dog.

Honey enjoyed her first bath. The water wasn’t too cold, and while she did get in trouble for shaking herself off that first time, she learned fast and didn’t do it again. But she liked the bubbles most of all. By the time Mr. Cake dried her off with a towel she was perfectly clean again—except her fur was sticking up on end.

“Uhh….” said Mr. Cake, looking around. Honey giggled at how silly she must have looked. Mr. Cake found a brush and said, “We’ll make this your brush from now on.”

Honey wagged her tail. She now had her own brush. Mr. Cake brushed her fur until it lay down neat and was soft to the touch. He looked her over, and she smiled back at him.

“How do I look, Daddy?”

Mr. Cake frowned. “Hair’s still in your eyes.”

Honey blew her headfur out of her face and it fell back down. She giggled. Mr. Cake rolled his eyes. He brushed her headfur out of her face, but it fell back down in front of her eyes. Honey thought this was very funny.

Mr. Cake looked frustrated, though. He searched around, muttering to himself. Finally he grabbed a bag of bread and took the twist tie off it. Grumbling, he tied the bag in a knot. He proceeded to tie Honey’s headfur behind her head into a ponytail, fastening it in place with the twist tie. “Better,” he said, looking at her.

Honey thought she might burst. It was such a small gesture, but it was all she could do not to jump up on him and lick his face. She looked in a nearby mirror and liked the way she looked with a ponytail.

“Have to get you one of those…girlie things…you can’t keep using bread twist ties,” said Mr. Cake. He sounded embarrassed.

“Thank you so much, Daddy!” she said happily, wagging her tail. She didn’t think she loved him any more than she did now.

“Honey!”

Honey was nervous, but came when called. She didn’t know if she was in trouble again or not. She had been living with Mr. Cake for weeks now, and had more or less learned what bothered him and what didn’t, but she still wasn’t always sure.

“Yes, Daddy?”

Mr. Cake motioned to a box. “My sister sent you this.”

Honey gasped. “A present? For me?”

Mr. Cake shrugged, looking embarrassed. “If you don’t like it we’ll send it back.”

“No, no, let me see!”

Mr. Cake put up his hand. “Letter first.”

Honey sat down, waiting for him to read the letter.

“Dear…Shortshanks (that’s me—I HATE it when she calls me that), I heard you got a new puppy. A girl puppy. Funny, I wouldn’t have pegged you for the type. Anyway, I know how you feel about hand-me-downs, but I have no more use for this, and if your puppy likes it, she’s welcome to it.”

Honey’s tail was thumping on the ground. “What is it? What is it?”

Mr. Cake looked like he didn’t even want to touch it. “You open it.”

“CAN I?” said Honey, panting. Mr. Cake nodded, and Honey tore into the box. She did her absolute best not to SQUEAL with delight. It was clothing. A cheerleader’s outfit. There was a purple sweater with gold collar and cuffs, and a gold letter “H” on the front (presumably for Harriet, Mr. Cake’s sister, but it stood for “Honey” too!). There was a blue-green skirt as well, and a couple of pompoms.

Honey wished she could hug her auntie. She had seen humans wearing clothing and wanted to wear some herself. She tried to put on the sweater but found it difficult.

Mr. Cake sighed. “Here,” he said, helping her with it on and brushing her headfur. Honey smiled at him, then put on the skirt and took the pompoms. The sweater and skirt were a little big for her, but she didn’t care. They were HERS. Besides, she’d grow into them.

“Daddy! Daddy! He’s our man! If he can’t do it, no one can!”

Mr. Cake looked embarrassed, but didn’t tell her to stop.

“Tell your sister ‘thank you’ for this outfit, Daddy!” said Honey.

Mr. Cake sighed and mumbled. “Never let me live it down….”

This would be the first of several outfits Honey would get, and she enjoyed dressing up and pretending to be different people. Yet for all that, she still felt, deep down, like she was missing something. She was happy for all she had, but there was that discontent, gnawing away at her like a homeless dog on a leftover soup bone.

--Phoenix

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:46 pm
Moshpit Addict

This is really good so far

Amateur auteur, Part time genius, executive goon, and a snappy dresser.

Only kind of a jerk.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Game Master

*cuteness overload*
Man, didn't imagine Mr. Cake could be a grumpy guy, but after all it's just right HOney's gonna be the one to bring cheers in his life.
MOAR!!

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:31 am
Profile WWW

hello!!!

Forever lonely,
Forever understood,
Forever misunderstood,
Forever bad,
Forever good,
We are everything.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Great story thats getting more reviews than mine... But who cares right? can't wait too see more.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW

@Seth: Thanks! :D

@valerio: Really? :? How much have you seen of him?

@Luna werewolf: Hi.... What do you think of the story?

@TensaZangetsu: Thanks! :) Heh, sorry.... I might try to look at yours.

Anyway, here's Chapter 3!

Months passed, and Honey got to know some of the other dogs in the neighborhood. She made many friends, as this proved easy for her to do. And when she had to say goodbye, she remembered what they were like and would dress up and pretend to be one or more of them in her pretend play.

“Arr, mateys, a likely ship off the port bow!” said Honey as the pirate Captain Goldbeard.

“Ay, ay, cap’n!” said Honey as a dachshund named Barry as the bosun, blowing a whistle that only dogs could hear (so as not to disturb her dad while he was watching TV).

“Cap’n Goldbeard,” said Honey as a poodle named Marie as the first mate, “we’ll have to lighten the load or we’ll never catch the ship.”

“Thank you for volunteering, mate,” said Honey as the captain. “To the plank! To the plank!”

Honey didn’t do this because she had any particular grudge against Marie—she didn’t—but simply because that was the kind of thing Marie would say if she were here, and Honey thought it would be funny to respond as she did, not to mention in character. Even if Marie was here, there was no real ship and no real plank and no real water, so there was no harm. Certainly Honey wouldn’t say that to the real Marie, not even if both were in character, if it would have hurt Marie’s feelings.

Of course, it was always better when her friends were actually around, because while Honey was good at impressions, she came to learn that people were deeper than that. Growing up and having experience with other pets, she came to learn that even when she thought she knew someone they could still say and do things that surprised her. That helped her to better pretend to be her other friends, but it still meant that she wasn’t always prepared.

She was still very young, though, and couldn’t quite articulate it yet, but there was still a discontent gnawing away at her. She ignored it for a long time, because it couldn’t be what it seemed like just at first. She couldn’t be LONELY, that was impossible. She had her dad, she had any number of friends. And even when she was alone, she could pretend to be any of them and all of them.

But still….

“Stop.”

“Huh?” said Honey.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but I think I can see where this is going,” said Vanilla. “You were lonely because there was no one physically present with you except Dad, and he didn’t play with you like you wanted. Is that about right?”

Honey looked away.

“Sort of….”

“Sort of?”

“Well, I thought that was what it was,” said Honey. “That’s why I finally asked Dad if it was okay to adopt another puppy.”

“But…that’s NOT what it was?”

“That’s PART of it. If I finish you might understand a little better.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt,” said Vanilla, turning red. “Go on.”

“Well, like I said, I thought it was just loneliness. I ignored that for a long time because I didn’t think there was any reason for it. Then I asked Dad if we could adopt another puppy and he said no.”

Vanilla’s ears perked up.

“He said NO?”

“At first, yeah. He thought I was high-maintenance enough, I think, and he didn’t want another puppy to worry about, especially if it was one that wouldn’t be as good alone as I was.”

“I see….”

“But I promised that I’d take care of the new puppy if we got one, so that he wouldn’t have to worry about it so much. He still wasn’t sure….”

“…What finally sold him on the idea?” said Vanilla.

“Well, honestly…you did.”

Vanilla cocked an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“Well, let me finish….”

“Remember the rules?” said Mr. Cake.

“Yes, Dad, I remember,” said Honey.

“We’re just here to LOOK, not to buy. If you find something, we’ll come back later and see, but no promises.”

“I understand.”

“And no boy pups.”

“No boy pups,” said Honey. She didn’t quite understand why he’d said that, especially since he seemed to find it difficult to take care of a girl pup, probably from lack of experience—being a man, he’d never been a girl himself. But it didn’t matter. She had nothing against a little brother, but a little sister might be nice too. Maybe this would even be better, as then Honey wouldn’t be the only girl living in that house. Better still, if her little sister was another puppy, they’d have even more in common. She imagined all the fun that she and her little sister could have playing pretend.

After getting permission from the pet shop owner, Honey took a look up and down. She smiled and waved, but didn’t want to get too chummy with anyone just yet—it occurred to her that she might give them false hope. She couldn’t have ALL of them, she knew that, not even if her dad WAS buying today, which he wasn’t.

She found so many likely candidates that it was difficult to pick just one. She was about to leave when she saw, out of the corner of her eye, one lonely Shetland Sheepdog pup. She had missed this pup before, as the Sheltie did not jump out at the cage door like most of the others had done. Some others hadn’t, but that was because they were asleep, and at first she’d thought this Sheltie was asleep too.

But she wasn’t. She was awake. Honey wasn’t old enough to articulate it yet, but she sensed something…a bond. She felt like she knew this Sheltie, even though they hadn’t even met yet. The Sheltie seemed lonely. Even though there was any number of other pets in the pet shop to talk to, not to mention the owners, this pup was LONELY.

She needs me, thought Honey.

She turned away and hid her face, lest anyone see her grin bubbling to the surface. This was perfect! She had found a pup that she had something in common with, and who needed cheering up! And best of all, she was a girl! She was even a similar breed to Honey—not quite the same as a collie, and she was shorthaired, but no matter! This was perfect!

Coming out of the pet shop and getting in the car, she said, “I found the puppy I want to be my little sister, Dad!”

Mr. Cake grunted. “Expensive?”

Honey hung her head. “I…didn’t even look at the price.”

Mr. Cake grumbled, but he didn’t direct this at Honey.

“Next time look.”

“Okay. …But can we adopt her? Please?”

Mr. Cake didn’t respond. At first she thought this meant no. But when they pulled into the familiar driveway, he said, “Got some money saved up. Not a whole lot. If she’s not too expensive, MAYBE. No promises.”

It was all Honey could do not to get her hopes up. She was getting a little sister!

--Phoenix

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:58 pm

I think I know what's next! :)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:57 am

Well, we'll see! :D Here's Chapter 4!

Vanilla pulled her hood over her face. “So you adopted me out of pity too?”

“NO, Vanilla, not pity,” said Honey, sticking her tongue out. “I may not be as smart as you, but I’m not STUPID, and even back then I wasn’t stupid. I knew that I was going to be living with you forever, and so I wouldn’t have picked you out if it were just out of pity and loneliness.”

Vanilla peered out from under her hood but didn’t remove it.

“I picked you out because we had things in common. I couldn’t think of how to put it into words back then, but I realize that now. Neither of us was alone, but we were both lonely. We NEEDED each other.”

“We?” said Vanilla, looking away in embarrassment. “You…needed me?”

“That’s the point I’m trying to make here, Vanilla. And not just in the sense of being lonely—I needed you in particular. When I finish telling you the story, maybe you’ll understand.”

Vanilla didn’t look at her. “Continue.”

“Okay then.”

Weeks bled into months, and Honey still wanted to adopt the Sheltie pup. When Mr. Cake realized that she was not going to give this up, he continued to save up money, which took the whole time just to get enough to buy the pup. He grumbled every time he put money in the jar, even though he didn’t seem to prefer to spend the money on anything else.

Finally the day came. Honey had to restrain herself from racing out the car door and into the pet shop, even though it was Mr. Cake who had the money (NOT kept in the jar as they went in), just to see if that Sheltie was still there.

Sure enough, the Sheltie pup was still there. Honey was so glad, but by now it occurred to her that she shouldn’t be quite so glad. After all, this Sheltie didn’t know her, or her dad, and she didn’t know they were planning to adopt her. She seemed just as lonesome as ever. It was clear she needed a friend.

Honey smiled. “Hello. I’m Honey Cake, and this is my dad. What’s your name?”

At first the Sheltie seemed surprised that Honey was addressing her. But when she realized that this was the case, she revealed her name in a voice that sounded like it was trying to be indifferent: “Vanilla….”

Poor thing—she didn’t even seem to realize that Honey had been there before.

“My dad said I could pick out a puppy for him to adopt, to be my little sister.”

“That’s nice.”

Honey’s first thought was not that this Vanilla was rude, but rather that she was trying to ward off disappointment. Honey was determined to assure her that there was no disappointment to ward off.

“I want YOU to be my little sister.”

Vanilla nodded, but didn’t look at Honey.

Honey cocked her head. “Are you all right? You’re going to be getting a new home!”

No answer.

Honey was about to say something else, then decided that Vanilla needed indisputable proof. She went back to her dad. She jumped up and down as if she had to go to the bathroom while Mr. Cake was paying for Vanilla. Once the transaction was made, Mr. Cake went to find Vanilla’s cage, and Honey followed close behind.

Vanilla seemed skittish when she saw Mr. Cake. He opened her pen, reached inside, and picked her up. He looked her all over, and Vanilla turned red with embarrassment. Honey bounced off her heels in excitement.

“She’ll do,” said Mr. Cake. “How much did you say she was?”

Honey giggled. He knew how much Vanilla was, he seemed to have been asking as if the price had been too cheap for a dog like this—like the Cakes were getting a bargain.

Vanilla’s eyes and ears opened in surprise. Honey panted, wagged her tail, and waved. Vanilla looked down at her and smiled shyly, attempting a wave back.

“Yes, I know this part,” said Vanilla, not trying to be rude but saying it in a bit of a “can you get to the point, please?” kind of way.

“Well, you know your side of it, you don’t know what was going on through my head, though.”

Vanilla nodded. “I don’t always know what’s going on through your head, I admit it.”

Honey giggled. “Well, I’m getting to the end soon. When you’re done I think you’ll come to appreciate just how much I’m thankful for you.”

Vanilla nodded, turning red. “I’ll be quiet.”

“It’s okay, you’re not bothering me. But I’ll finish faster if you don’t interrupt. So to continue….”

“This is my home,” said Vanilla, deftly hiding any emotion from her voice.

“This is it, what do you think?”

Vanilla turned. “You’re my family.”

“We are!” said Honey, wagging her tail. “I’m your big sister, and he’s your daddy!”

Vanilla cringed. “Why do dogs and cats call their owners that, anyway?”

“Call them what?”

“‘Dad’ and ‘Mom’. They’re humans.”

“Mr. Cake adopted us. That makes him our daddy.”

Vanilla rolled her eyes. “I’ll call him my dad if and when one of two things happen: he turns into a dog, or I turn into a human.”

Honey laughed. “You’re funny.”

Vanilla looked at her toes. “I’ve been told that. I’m not sure I believe it.”

“Well, come on, let me show you my room! I have lots of costumes!”

“Costumes?”

“Yes. I LOVE to dress up!”

“You…wear clothes all the time, then?”

Honey nodded, smiling.

Vanilla shrugged. “I don’t understand the point of that. We have fur.”

“It’s FUN,” said Honey. “Besides, sometimes the clothes feel good against your fur.”

“No one ever died because they didn’t have the good feeling of clothes against their fur.”

Honey burst out laughing. “You ARE funny!”

Vanilla turned red.

“I have a lot of costumes, take a look.”

Vanilla looked through Honey’s costume trunk. “Do you have a turtle costume?”

“No, why?”

Vanilla shrugged. “No reason.”

Honey put on a cap with a feather in it, and Vanilla helped herself to a princess costume.

“Hey, you look good in that,” said Honey.

Vanilla folded your arms. “You will not speak with such a familiar tone to your princess.”

Honey genuflected. “My apologies, your highness.”

She couldn’t help grinning, though, because she knew already that living with Vanilla was going to be FUN!

--Phoenix

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am
Moshpit Addict

awwwwwwwww

Amateur auteur, Part time genius, executive goon, and a snappy dresser.

Only kind of a jerk.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 am
Game Master

*melts*

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:38 am
Profile WWW

Cute, indeed. A call back to the first Cake sisters fic.

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Former Mod of the Aura

hehe, nothing puts a smile on my face like this. ^^

Gotta love Vanilla wanting a turtle outfit as well :lol:

PF - Brill

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, everyone, for your comments! :D Here's Chapter 5!

Vanilla stood up, but then realized that Honey wasn’t finished with the story. Vanilla had thought she would have been, but no.

“It wasn’t then, not just yet,” said Honey. “It was over a year later.”

“That long?” said Vanilla, honestly confused.

“It was after your anniversary, remember? After you got your jacket?”

Vanilla cringed. “I don’t want to hear this part.”

“Shh, shh, it’s okay,” said Honey, putting a reassuring paw on her sister’s shoulder. “I know how upsetting it was, and I wouldn’t even bring it back if it wasn’t important in explaining how much you mean to me.”

Vanilla squinted, still cringing, not quite sure if she wanted to believe Honey. In her head she knew that Honey wouldn’t do such a horrible thing without a better reason. But still….

Honey sat down on the bed. “I’m here if it gets to be a lot for you to handle. I’m right here.”

Vanilla hesitated—actually hesitated—then sat down next to Honey, turning away from her, but still close enough for a hug. She steeled herself as best she could against what was coming next.

Honey sat up, almost as if she’d heard a shout. She hadn’t, but there was a chill in the air. Not a physical chill, just…something was wrong. She didn’t know what it was exactly, not at first. Then she looked at the clock. She hadn’t quite learned how to tell time, but she did know that the minute hand and the hour hand had moved too much.

She rushed to find Mr. Cake, who was watching TV.

“Dad…I’m sorry to interrupt, and I don’t mean to, but—”

Mr. Cake grumbled as he muted the TV. He kept one eye on the screen and the other eye on Honey.

“You know the rules.”

“Yes, Dad, I do, and I wouldn’t be interrupting now if it wasn’t important.”

Mr. Cake looked at her, no discernable expression on his face. He still kept one eye on the TV, but not constantly, not anymore.

“Vanilla’s been gone too long.”

Mr. Cake checked his watch.

“Pup’s gonna be in trouble….”

“I think she might BE in trouble, Dad! She’s NEVER been late before! We’ve had her over a year now, and she’s never been late!”

Mr. Cake looked at Honey. Slowly but surely he seemed to lose interest in what he was watching.

“Please…can’t we go out and find her? I’m worried….”

Mr. Cake grumbled, but Honey thought she detected a FAINT whiff of worry in it this time. Honey rushed to the car.

Almost before Mr. Cake had parked the car, Honey rushed out. The scene was still several yards away, but it was clear what was happening. A group of dogs were hitting something with a stick and shouting some kind of chant. The something was green, and looked like a large turtle. Except for the bits of brown. Legs…and a furry tail….

“Ohmygosh! Vanilla, are you all right?!” cried Honey, rushing over, tears starting to fill her eyes.

“Turtle, turtle, turtle soup! Turtle, turtle, turtle soup!” chanted the bad dogs as they whacked their piñata with their sticks.

“STOP it, STOP it! Leave her alone!” cried Honey. It was no use—they didn’t seem to hear her. She tried physically pushing her way through and all she got for it was some whacks herself, on the snout, in the side, on the paw, on the top of her head.

“DADDY!!!” cried Honey, and she may as well have been speaking for Vanilla too.

Much to Honey’s surprise, Mr. Cake was RUNNING to the scene—at least as fast as Honey had done, if not more so!

“Get away from my dog, you flea-bitten mongrels, or I’ll call the ASPCA on you all!” snapped Mr. Cake.

The chanting stopped. The whacking stopped. Almost immediately the bad dogs ran away in terror. Even Honey stared in shock. That was the loudest that Mr. Cake had ever shouted in her memory.

There wasn’t enough time to marvel at this, though—Vanilla’s hood was pulled completely over her face, such that she couldn’t even breathe. She struggled to get the hood off, and was now sitting on the ground, crying like a baby. Honey rushed to give her a hug, as Mr. Cake actually chased the bad dogs away for several yards, shaking his fist in anger as if he had an even bigger stick that he intended to use on them.

Vanilla was crying, her sobs interrupted by choked gasps as she took in the air. She was covered in bruises. Honey held her—tightly as if afraid of someone pulling her out of her arms, but not so tightly as to add further pain to Vanilla’s ordeal.

“Shh, it’s okay….” whispered Honey. “It’s okay. They’re gone. They won’t hurt you anymore. Not now…not EVER.”

“Apple…Apple LAUGHED at me!!!” sobbed Vanilla when her voice finally came back.

Honey sniffed her own tears back—she had to be strong for Vanilla. “I’m so sorry….”

“Going home….” said Mr. Cake. “And buying a gun.”

Honey’s ears perked up. She knew Mr. Cake well enough by now to know that he wouldn’t SHOOT any animal, no matter how badly that animal was behaving, and so she guessed that he intended to keep it unloaded, or perhaps fill it with blanks, and neglected to mention this to scare the bad dogs who might still hear what he was saying.

There was a palpable silence as the whole Cake family went home.

Honey had helped tend to Vanilla’s injuries. They weren’t serious, the worst physical problem had been that she couldn’t breathe, and by now that wasn’t an issue anymore either. The biggest ordeal was that Vanilla had been traumatized by the whole experience. For days, Vanilla was in shock, as though she didn’t even know anyone else was there. She would just say over and over again, “Apple LAUGHED…. Apple LAUGHED!!”

Honey couldn’t stand to see Vanilla like this. There was nothing she could say, nothing she could do—nothing except to stay right by her sister’s side, gently stroking her paw and saying “Shh…it’s okay…. It’s okay…. No one’s going to hurt you anymore. I promise.” She meant it. She wouldn’t use violence on someone else, but she was resolved not to let anyone do such a thing ever again. If she couldn’t ward them off with her words, there was the threat of her dad’s gun.

After a few days, Vanilla wasn’t in shock anymore, but she often cried, and was too frightened to even go outdoors. She often stared incredulously at Honey, and Honey wasn’t quite sure why—but she didn’t dare ask. It wasn’t until about a week after the incident that Vanilla voiced it.

“Why?”

“Why what? Why did they do that to you? I have no idea—why does ANYONE do mean things to someone who didn’t do anything to them? Maybe their owners hurt them, I don’t know….”

Vanilla shook her head with a groan of frustration.

“Why? You stayed here with me all this time…why?”

“Why did I stay with you? Because I CARE about you, Vanilla! You’re my little sister, and I’m your big sister! I want to be sure you’re okay! Besides, that’s what a big sister is supposed to do! I did it because it’s RIGHT!”

A light bulb went on in Honey’s head. It was hazy, as if she were seeing it through a fog, but it would become brighter as time went by.

It was RIGHT.

Not just that it was the right thing to do from a moral standpoint—that was obvious. It FELT right. Again, not just from the standpoint that Honey cared about Vanilla and so it felt right in that way, but….

This ROLE felt right.

It would take years before Honey could articulate it, but that was what it was. For a long time, especially before Mr. Cake had adopted Vanilla, Honey’s role-playing had seemed almost more real than the reality.

Looking back on it, that frightened her. What if she had gotten so caught up in her role-playing that she lost touch with reality? That was too horrible to think of—that would even be worse than what had happened to Vanilla, especially since who would have saved Honey?

But this…this role, being a big sister…THAT felt right. THAT felt real, more real than any role-playing ever could. This was the reality, and Honey now knew who she was. She was Vanilla Cake’s big sister, and she was proud to be so. It hadn’t just been that Honey and Mr. Cake had saved Vanilla.

Vanilla had saved Honey.

--Phoenix

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh wow... :shock:

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Last chapter!

Vanilla backed away from Honey. She turned her head and cocked an eyebrow.

“Are you pulling my tail?”

“What do you mean?”

“You said I SAVED you. You’re not patronizing me?”

“NO, Vanilla,” said Honey in a voice that couldn’t be argued with. “I didn’t realize this at the time, at least I couldn’t think about it in words, but looking back on it now it’s SCARY how far I went. I almost lost myself, Vanilla.”

Vanilla frowned.

“What’s wrong?”

“I…have mixed feelings about this.”

Honey became concerned. “Vanilla, if I hurt you, I’m REALLY sorry—”

“I don’t KNOW! I don’t—I don’t KNOW if you’ve hurt me or not…it’s just so frustrating….”

“Take a few deep breaths.”

Vanilla did, then sighed. “I’m…I’m glad if I was able to help you…in any way…. Especially if…if you were really as badly off as all that, but….”

“But what?”

Vanilla groaned. “Kibble….”

“Don’t swear, just tell me what it is.”

“…I don’t want THAT to be how I helped you!”

Honey didn’t say anything.

Vanilla sighed, gritting her teeth. “I didn’t DO anything. I was completely passive. Worst of all, it was something I didn’t even want to HEAR about again, much less have happen to me in the first place!”

“It wasn’t THAT, Vanilla.”

Vanilla cocked her head. “You just said—”

“It was having you in my life, just in general. You in particular. Haven’t you been listening?”

Vanilla didn’t say anything.

“It wouldn’t have been the same if it had been someone else. I would have felt protective feelings for ANYONE, and it would have been the right thing to do, and it would have made me feel good if my being there helped anyone. But it wouldn’t have been the same.”

“…I’m listening….”

“Vanilla…you and I…we’re the same.”

Vanilla frowned in confusion.

“Before we adopted you, you and I were the same. We both got lonely even when we weren’t alone. And we both liked to role-play, even if it was for different reasons. As different as you and I can be sometimes, in other ways we’re very much alike. And I was very glad to know someone like you—someone like me in so many ways, someone I could relate to, yet different enough from me to be interesting, and to have strengths that I don’t. And vice versa.”

Vanilla didn’t say anything. She stared into the distance.

“Vanilla? You okay?”

“I…just—I need some time. To think about this.”

“…Okay, I understand.”

Thanksgiving dinner came, and Mr. Cake was sitting at the dinner table, and while he didn’t ordinarily do this, he let Honey and Vanilla sit there too—as long as they waited for him to eat first.

“I’m thankful for this house and my pets,” said Mr. Cake. “Anything you’re thankful for?”

Honey nodded. “I’m thankful that you adopted me and Vanilla. You saved us both, and you both saved me.”

Mr. Cake looked confused, but said nothing. Vanilla knew what Honey meant, and Honey didn’t feel a need to repeat herself too much.

“Vanilla?”

Vanilla looked to the side, diffidently. She shut her eyes as if trying to remember.

“I’m thankful…for similarities and differences.”

Both Mr. Cake and Honey looked confused.

“Look at the three of us. We’re all very different in many ways. But we’re also alike in some ways. We all have some things in common. And I think that’s for the best. If we were all completely different from each other we wouldn’t be able to relate to each other…at all. How could we get along with each other then? How could we come together as a family?”

Mr. Cake and Honey said nothing.

“But if we were all completely the same, that wouldn’t be good either. Then we’d all be replaceable. We’d all have the same virtues, so we wouldn’t need each other. And we’d all have the same flaws, so we wouldn’t be any help to each other. We couldn’t be a family then either.”

Vanilla sighed as if she considered her words to be trite and clichéd.

“I guess what I’m trying to say is that…we need that complexity. I’m thankful for dad, and for Honey, but I’m especially glad that it was you two in particular who adopted me, because we all share things in common but we’re also different. We can get along with each other because of our similarities, but we can also help each other because of our different strengths. Those two, the similarities and differences combined, help us to be able to come together and be a family at all.”

“Wow….” said Honey, honestly impressed.

Vanilla turned red as though she thought Honey thought it was as trite as she did.

“Okay, I want to add to what I’m thankful for,” said Honey. “I’m thankful for your ability to articulate such a beautiful sentiment.”

Vanilla looked confused, but Honey meant it sincerely, and she smiled. Mr. Cake raised an eyebrow, but he didn’t have to say anything. Both dogs knew he cared for them.

Vanilla said nothing, but returned the smile.

--Phoenix

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:31 am
Game Master

BAIIIIIII! this is great family! :D :D :D :D
Vanilla surely knows her philosophy!!
(And I sill hate Apple!)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 am
Profile WWW

This holiday situation just seems to be the best for them so far. ;)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:53 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
BAIIIIIII! this is great family! :D :D :D :D
Vanilla surely knows her philosophy!!
(And I sill hate Apple!)

Hey, do NOT hate Apple. She didn't mean it. Don't you remember what her guilt did to her in The Longest Night?

But glad you liked it otherwise! :D

EDIT: Hmm, maybe I should write something about Apple....

--Phoenix

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]