Creeping Realization - A Housepets! Fanfic (PG/PG-13)

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Rollofthedice

Creeping Realization - A Housepets! Fanfic (PG/PG-13)

Post by Rollofthedice »

Disclaimers: This story is somewhat more dark than other fanfics on here, though it still of course pertains by the PG or, at the most, PG-13 guidelines. I actually had to cut some of the first chapter out due to fears of unsuitable content (Explicit [somewhat] death and slight reference of blood). However, there will still be light and (if I don't happen to suck at it) humorous content. My main character will be original, along with maybe some minor throwaway characters. I'm not going to ship, unless by 'ship' you mean 'give within-guidelines credit to ongoing, as of this post, canon relationships.' Also, the scenes and characters in this work not created by me are held by Rick Griffin, and only him, and I take no responsibility or credit for those works. Thank you for your understanding, if any of you bothered to read all this.

Author's Note: So, where to begin? This story has stemmed from my quite common daydreams about large variations of concepts, characters, stories, and ideas. This is what I hope to be my first long-lasting attempt to assemble one of my daydreams (a very recent one, actually) and work from there. Thus, this will be a 'write as I go' fanfic, so don't be surprised if my writing quality or sense of logical progression degrades in some parts. Feel free to criticize it regardless, though, I love that. Oh, and I just put an unoriginal placeholder name for the city Babylon Gardens is in, since I don't think it's been referenced?

Creeping Realization, by Rollofthedice, Chapter 1:

A disgusting, hazy dread crept into him. His hands, which were shaking so much they were almost impossible to use, unbuckled the seatbelt slowly. Opening the car door without thought, the inherently lithe and agile animal stumbled dumbly through the snow. A tiny, analytic part of his brain told him the incident had happened at the wall of the small cliff side leading away from Babylon City, but he was past caring. Sudden, desperate fear jolted him – he needed to escape, to get away from what he had seen. He broke out into a run in the exact opposite direction of the gruesome scene, the cold air stinging his body despite his fur. Not daring to look back, the gray, temporarily shell-shocked cat ran as fast as he could, until the freezing temperatures began to slow him down.

His eyesight beginning to blur and his extremities numbing, he tripped, and fell onto the snow. Rolling onto his back, it suddenly became all too difficult to stand back up. With the world around him being drowned out in a slow, muted blur, he only saw one thing before he passed out – a large, golden bell, fastened onto a collar.

The feline opened his eyes.

He seemed to be in some sort of guest room, with plain white decorations and mahogany flooring, giving a pleasing but altogether drab air. Underneath the cat was a bed, also white, with frills on the pillows and on the edges of the blankets. Blinking, he groggily struggled with his arms to wipe sand from his eyelids.

From the doorway in front of him, another cat stepped in. With black fur – excluding a gray front torso – there were two immediately noticeable features to the male: A suspiciously large bite mark on his right ear, and the bell he wore on his collar. There was a congenially mischievous look in his eyes, along with a bit of anxiousness.

“Finally, you’re awake. I would’ve taken you to the vet, but the snow started to pile up. Not much point in dragging a cat for over a mile in this weather, unless you really like frostbite. With a few of the dogs in THIS neighborhood, giving them frostbite almost seems more appealing. I’m Maxwell. You?”

The feline lying on the bed blinked, and tried to get his wits together.

“Uh, I’m James. James Carpenter,” He said. “Not to be rude or anything, but, um, where the **** am I?”

Maxwell sighed, rather theatrically. “Jeez, man. You're at my owner’s house, here in Babylon Gardens. Where do you think you are? You walked over here, after all – at least before you collapsed a few meters outside my home. Speaking of which, shouldn’t you have an owner? Don’t tell me you’re a stray…”

Suddenly, James recalled what had happened. A terrifying feeling of dread once again crept over him, and it took all his willpower to keep his voice from cracking.

“Well,” He began to state, shakily. “I guess you could call me a stray, but I don’t think that matters, considering the circumstances.”

Maxwell frowned. “What does that mean?”

“How long was I out?”

“Eh, about ten hours. I found you at about midnight.”

“Then,” James said, quietly, “I’ve been a stray for about that long.”

Maxwell stared, with slight worry, confusion and curiosity all etched on his face. “You ran away?”

James sighed. “Not quite.”

“Then… oh, no. Do you mean…?” Maxwell’s eyes widened.

“Yes.” James choked back a sob. “I suggest you call for a police dispatch halfway along Route I-47, if they haven’t found the wreck already. Paramedics too, perhaps, but they won’t be able to help.”

Maxwell stared, for a full ten seconds, before bolting out the doorframe.

“I didn’t kill them or anything!” James yelled weakly, moments before the door leading out of the house shut loudly. He waited for a few moments, to make sure he was really gone. Then, he began to cry.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

kurowolfe

Re: Creeping Realization - A Housepets! Fanfic (PG/PG-13)

Post by kurowolfe »

I can imagine why you're cutting a part of the first chapter, looking at how the story goes. And I sorta fill in the blanks in my head myself, and that image's not pretty...

Good start, Dice! I'll be waiting for more ;)

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Oh my gosh this looks interesting. Definitely a great start, Rollofthedice!
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

kurowolfe wrote:I can imagine why you're cutting a part of the first chapter, looking at how the story goes. And I sorta fill in the blanks in my head myself, and that image's not pretty...

Good start, Dice! I'll be waiting for more ;)
Time for a lesson! As this post belies, my cut portion actually helps achieve a nice technique of sacrificing immediate tension with building tension and a delayed confirmation of outcome. Though most people, to my eyes at least, should be able to infer what's happened already - when used more subtly, holding off on detailed descriptions or not providing many at all (but take care not to be too vague!) can do wonders to the reader's imagination. Also, thanks for the compliment!
Tha Housefox wrote:Oh my gosh this looks interesting. Definitely a great start, Rollofthedice!
Thanks! My biggest fear when writing a story is the situation in which I manage to have perfect grammar and syntax, yet make the whole tale almost physically painful in how boring it is. I'm glad to see this one isn't shaping out to be like that!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Okay, this one probably isn't as exciting as the first chapter, and is a just bit shorter. There's character development and introductions and resolved questions, though! Yay!

Creeping Realization, Chapter 2:
About an hour later, Maxwell came back – with the added company of a policeman and his dog. The human, a rather nondescript tan Caucasian in a blue police uniform, wearily sat down on the wooden chair next to the doorframe of the guest room and shuffled through paperwork. His canine companion would have also been unremarkable, with tan front fur and dark brown on the back, and on his muzzle and ears. However, what caught James’ attention was the vest he had on, similar to the policeman’s, but labeled K-9. Both the man and the police dog fixed James with a weary, but understanding, stare.

“Well,” the policeman said, “Even just a quick check at the scene confirms the crash was an accident, though of course we’ll still have to do an examination and check the autopsies - not to mention the paperwork.” The man sighed. “What’s more important, though, is the issue of your newfound orphan-hood…”

James was not in the mood to discuss the law, especially when he was quite sure he knew most of it. At that moment, he was tired, thirsty, emotionally battered, and quite hungry – which culminated into irritation.

“I’m well aware of my rights, officer. As my owner had no surviving relatives and I’m quite sure she hadn’t made a will, I’ll be sent to a pet shelter where the first person who adopts me will be my new possessor. However,” James continued, annoyance building in his voice, “I happen to be hungry, tired and quite weak, and until I feel physically able to move, let alone trudge in waist-high snow to get to a glorified hole to dump strays, I’m afraid I’ll have to stay put here.”

The policeman gave James an appraising, and somewhat respectful, look.

“That… seems reasonable, though I can’t imagine you staying for any longer than two or three days. Any human adult can still adopt you regardless of whether or not you’re in a pet shelter, though. You might want to make plans for that while you’re here.”

James laughed weakly. “We’ll see. I don’t believe I’ve caught your names, by the way.”

“Oh, right, of course. I’m Officer Lannister, and my canine friend here is Sergeant Ralph.”

“Good to meet you two, I guess. Is our conversation done with?”

“Right now, yeah. When anything comes up, well, we’ll be right back here.” Officer Lannister stood to leave, but paused, and cleared his throat.

“This probably won’t help, but I’m sorry for your loss.”

James swallowed the confirmation and pity as the officer left. Sergeant Ralph trailed close behind him – but not without sneaking a sympathetic look towards James.

“So, uh,” Maxwell began to state nervously, “I suppose I should be bringing you food and drink, then.”

“That would be nice, yes.”

“Yep, I’ll get right to that. Sorry if I’m not a very good host. I don’t usually get people over.” James had the sudden, but not too surprising, suspicion that Maxwell didn’t often apologize to people.

Soon enough, Maxwell had returned with some cat food and water; not regarding it as very polite to watch his guest eat, he then left under the guise of calling another pet. After examining the kibble to make sure it wasn’t the inedible tripe found in supermarkets (Cats can be picky even when starving, after all), James deemed it worthy and scarfed it down as fast as he could. Then, once he drank the entire glass of water in close to ten seconds, his hunger pains and thirst subsided.

Returning quickly after and looking slightly bemused, Maxwell asked, “Hey, I just realized something: Why didn’t Lannister and Ralph ask for your name? You’d think that would have been important.”

James shrugged from his sitting position on the bed. “Maybe they expected to get my name from their examinations?” he swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. “…My owner had a wallet on, and so did the friend she was driving with. I wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t think it was polite to ask too many questions at the moment.”

Maxwell grew silent. Deciding that there wasn’t much use in being around if he was such a fundamental failure at being comforting, he quietly left, shutting the door behind him. Sighing, James shut his eyes and attempted to get some sleep.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I like what I see. It's got a solid set of emotions going without being over the top. ;)
I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

Great Start! and Great character Dialogue! your portrayal if Maxwell was very good~ I can't want ti see where you take this Fic.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Hey, I'm a sucker for character development. :3
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Obbl wrote:I like what I see. It's got a solid set of emotions going without being over the top. ;)
I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.
Thanks! Though, uh... This happens to be the post where I include a little throwaway nightmare scene as an interlude - so I don't know if I'll still keep my record of non-over-the-topness. Let's find out, shall we?
Kondog wrote:Great Start! and Great character Dialogue! your portrayal if Maxwell was very good~ I can't want ti see where you take this Fic.
Thanks a bunch! I identify with Maxwell a bit (or at least, I think I do), because In Real Life the only type of humour I can consistently pull off is sarcasm, and I can't imagine myself being good at comforting people either.

To be honest I'm not even sure where I'm taking it, so at least we'll all be surprised!
Tha Housefox wrote:Hey, I'm a sucker for character development. :3
I'm a sucker for suckers.
Um, the candy kind, I mean.
Yeah...

Now, let's get going to the interlude! These will be probably very short time-wasters that either fit into the plot or don't, and allow me to muck around with silly/creative concepts. This one isn't silly at all, and very short (eight sentences). I don't know about the creativity of it either, but I still want it in here, because I'm pedantic. So, onwards!

Interlude #1: A Restful Sleep

He was lying in the snow again.

All he could hear was a terrible, crunching metal – a sound that enveloped him from every direction. It whispered and shrieked at him all at once; the unbearable noise judged him, and determined to end all the happiness he had ever felt.

James tried to get up, but his arms and legs refused to work. The clamor became agonizingly loud, crying and cursing and laughing and begging and-

As James stared up in the sky in desperation, the planets arranged themselves in a pattern. Terrified, he realized that they were the faces of two very familiar women…

The world became a deep, murky red, and James screamed along with the stars.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Rollofthedice wrote:Thanks! Though, uh... This happens to be the post where I include a little throwaway nightmare scene as an interlude - so I don't know if I'll still keep my record of non-over-the-topness. Let's find out, shall we?
No, no, nightmares are hard to go over the top with. And I think this is a good example of the power nightmares have.
Since this is a "mucking around"/"play with creativity" type scene I'll say this: Add more. Especially these visual scenes. the more you give us, the more we have to work with in our imaginations. ;)
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Obbl wrote:
Rollofthedice wrote:Thanks! Though, uh... This happens to be the post where I include a little throwaway nightmare scene as an interlude - so I don't know if I'll still keep my record of non-over-the-topness. Let's find out, shall we?
No, no, nightmares are hard to go over the top with. And I think this is a good example of the power nightmares have.
Since this is a "mucking around"/"play with creativity" type scene I'll say this: Add more. Especially these visual scenes. the more you give us, the more we have to work with in our imaginations. ;)
Okay, good. I'll try my best to keep that in mind.

Creeping Realization, Chapter 3:

James awoke with a start. Breathing heavily, a quick look around confirmed that he was where he should be. His eyes also told him that it was still day – the window to the northwest of his bed still emitted bright light past its pale white curtains. James reasoned he couldn’t have been asleep for more than five or six hours.

Calming down, James realized he heard a voice – no, two voices, one of them Maxwell – coming from another room in the building. Deciding now was as good a time as any to test if he could stand, he quietly disentangled himself from the bed sheets and crept out of the bed. Fortunately, the protests his body made were minor, and James only found himself slightly disoriented.

Creeping to the wooden, white doorframe, James leaned in to listen.

“Well, I doubt your owner will do anything, but my owners love pets and sob stories.” James could tell the unknown visitor was a female by her voice, and he would’ve bet money on it being another cat. “They’d kinda have to take him in, anyway. Peanut’s let loose the puppy-eyes, and that’s basically kryptonite to them. It even gets me once in a while.”

James blinked. Peanut? He filed the name away for future reference.

“Okay, great. Thanks, Grape.” Okay, James thought. Peanut and Grape, huh? Why do I get the sinking suspicion this isn’t going to end well?

“No problem, Maxie…”

James stepped out into the room to greet Maxwell and the visitor. Taking a quick look around before he was noticed, he determined the area to be a modest living room, with him and the entrance to the guest room in the back center.

In front of James and to the left was a worn, tan couch – in front of that, a small glass coffee table, and in front of that, a forty-inch HDTV on a separate, wooden stand. To James’ right was an open entrance to the kitchen, about the same size as the lounge. There were also two doors, one in front of James (in front of the center of the room) and one to his left. The room itself had light brown carpeting and walls.

James cleared his throat. Grape and Maxwell, in the midst of an embrace, had the courtesy to look embarrassed. Maxwell in particular jumped about a foot in the air from sheer surprise.

“Good afternoon to you too.” James sat down on the couch and grabbed the remote lying on the coffee table. Maxwell looked flabbergasted.

“W-wait, hold on a sec! Shouldn’t you be in bed or something?”

James smirked. “I just felt like I could get up. All I did was pass out, after all – I didn’t break any bones or get pneumonia or anything.”

“But, hold on. Didn’t you tell Officer Lannister that when-“Maxwell paused, and James just grinned wider.

“Honestly, do the police need to know about my health right away? It’s mighty cold out there, and we wouldn’t want to burden them with work, would we?”

Maxwell glanced at Grape, and they both broke out laughing.

“Oh jeez, you’re just as bad as Maxie!” Grape wiped tears from her eyes. “I didn’t think that was possible.”

“Hey!” Maxwell protested.

“Oh, come on, you know it's true.”

“…Yeah. Yeah, it is.”

James, annoyed with the TV for only having reruns on, got up to introduce himself.

“Hello there. Grape, I take it? Maxwell probably told you my name, but I’m James anyways.”

Right after he finished, a curious thought struck him.

“Hey, do you have a middle name?”

“Uh, yes, actually. It’s Jelly. Grape Jelly.”

“...”

“Hello?” Grape said, bemusedly. “Anybody there?”

“...You wouldn’t happen to live with a pet called Peanut Butter, would you?”

“Uh, yeah, actual-“
“And your last names would be 'Sandwich,' wouldn't they.”

Grape was thoroughly confused. “How do you know that?”

James sighed, suddenly feeling very unexplicably tired. “Just a, ah, lucky guess.” James changed the subject. “Hey! Why don’t I visit your place? I’m gonna want to meet as many people as I can today, after all.”

Grape was about to question his previous statement further, but ultimately decided against it. “Okay, then. Follow me!”

James stole an extra scarf on the table, and headed out with Grape and Maxwell to the great outdoors.

Author's Note: Hey, I can poke fun at Rick's puns, can't I? ;)
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

This is my kind of fic. I dont usually like OC's, but I'm loving James. Keep it up Dice!
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

I have made a pact to myself - I am going to upload something every day, every single day, whether it's a short interlude or an actual chapter. It's not like I have anything better to do, anyway.
Cwitt wrote:This is my kind of fic. I dont usually like OC's, but I'm loving James. Keep it up Dice!
Thanks! Since I'm not fond of writing anything even vaguely resembling a self-insert, I'm making pains to at least make James seem likeable and, well, human, despite him being a cat. I'm happy to see my efforts are working out!

Creeping Realization, Chapter 4:

Luckily, any previous snowfall had abated, and while James and the rest had much to trudge through to get to the Sandwiches’ house, they still managed to get there without any significant difficulties - though James couldn’t help but take paranoid glances around him. If Lannister or Sergeant Ralph saw him, they would be obligated to hand James into a pet shelter, and he valued having some control over who would be his new owner. After thinking that, he winced internally. "Am I really being so calculating after my owner just died?" He thought.

Stepping into the Sandwiches’ home, James couldn’t help but appreciate how homely it was. Having entered the living room, a warm fireplace crackled to his front left, in a kind of cut corner of an otherwise rectangular area. To James’ front right was a well-kept (by cat standards, anyhow) green couch, facing a TV that stood right by the entrance. On the opposite corner of the fireplace was a Christmas tree filled underneath with presents; with a start, James remembered that today was Christmas Eve.

Sitting on the couch and staring anxiously at the television was a light-brown dog, though his coat was somewhat darker than that when considered independent of the torso. Noticing Grape and her guests, his eyes lit up and he jumped off the sofa.

“There you are! MOM! GRAPE’S BROUGHT THE CAT!”

With those words, the person James took to be Ms. Sandwich bustled in from the kitchen near the left side of the living room. She looked just as friendly and welcoming as the house she owned, with very dirty blonde, long hair and olive green eyes. Seeing James, she beamed widely.

“Why, hey there! You must be James! Maxwell mentioned your name to Grape, and she passed it on to me. Earl is buying all the stuff you’ll need to live here.” James was taken aback.

“W-wait, that’s it? You’re not going to ask what kind of a cat I am or anything? What if I’m a serial killer, or a-“

Mrs. Sandwich stated, with dangerous bluntness – “Then I will throw you across the neighborhood and into the forest, where the only company you’ll have, according to Grape, are cult-worshipping woodland critters and a man who speaks in limericks.”

James grew silent. For some reason, he didn’t want to see if she was exaggerating, on any account.

“Anyway,” Mrs. Sandwich went on, still quite cheerful, “Earl will sign the adoption papers first thing tomorrow. I can learn more about you after I’m done making some delicious cookies – I’ve made peanut butter ones AND ones with a jelly center! Isn’t that quaint!” With those words, she flitted back into the kitchen. James turned to look at Grape and Peanut, while Maxwell sat on the couch and began to watch some reruns.

“Your mom is quite, uh…”

“Scary?” Grape suggested.

“I prefer ‘not to be trifled with,’” James continued, “but okay.” He turned to look at the dog. “You’re Peanut, right? Nice to meet you. You already know my name, but I’m James.”

“Hey!” Peanut grinned. “You’re gonna have a great time here, just wait!” A thought struck him as he turned to Grape. “Does this mean he can play pretend with us? Huh, Grape, can he?”

“Well, I don’t see why no-“

“YAY!”

James didn’t know whether to laugh, or sigh in exasperation. As he sat down to join Maxwell in watching some random high-school students sing Lady Gaga songs (You know, James thought, I should probably watch TV more often), Mrs. Sandwich finished putting the cookies in the oven. Then, struck with a thought, she flashed back towards the living room.

“Oh, James, I almost forgot!” She said. “We need to get you a Christmas present! I’ll call Earl right now – what would you want? Just don’t ask for anything too expensive, now!”

James was quite bemused – wasn’t being able to live here enough? He doubted Mrs. Sandwich would take no for an answer, though. “Uh, well, I like music. A, um, MP3 player or something would-“

“Alright then! Earl, sweetie? Yeah, we’re buying James a present. Yes, I know you’re buying a lot, but it isn’t that expensive OR heavy…”

James closed his eyes, overwhelmed.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Uh, as far as I know, their names are Grape Jelly Sandwich and Peanut Butter Sandwich. "Jelly" and "Butter" are more like middle names.

I'm just as dazed as James is that he was adopted so fast.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Tha Housefox wrote:Uh, as far as I know, their names are Grape Jelly Sandwich and Peanut Butter Sandwich. "Jelly" and "Butter" are more like middle names.

I'm just as dazed as James is that he was adopted so fast.
Oh, oops. That's what happens when you write without proof-reading. Edited the names just now.

The latter was also what I intended readers to think, so thanks! Some things take less time than at first glance, after all.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

It was more like "Hi, I'm James-" "WE'RE ADOPTING YOU."
X3
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Tha Housefox wrote:It was more like "Hi, I'm James-" "WE'RE ADOPTING YOU."
X3
:lol: It does seem a bit more sudden than it should be, huh?

My reasoning is that since the Sandwiches are pet people (according to the official Cast page), and since they were already persuaded (see Chapter 3, fourth paragraph), it's not the most far-fetched thing I could have done to drive the plot along. I also tried to make Ms. Sandwich seem like a very kind, but fierce and eccentric soul, so that it wouldn't be as crazy for her to go 'Oh, no, a stray whose owner just died! Earl, go buy a cat bed, we're adopting it. NO QUESTIONS.'

The whole of Chapter 4 was also supposed to feel busy towards the end, too, which probably does make the whole situation seem rushed, in hindsight.

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Alright, I've read everything you've written here so far, and I think you've done a great job. It's all very well written, keep doin' what you're doin'!
Rollofthedice wrote:I am going to upload something every day
You are clearly of greater focus than I. :3
Tha Housefox wrote:It was more like "Hi, I'm James-" "WE'RE ADOPTING YOU." X3
Mrs. Sandwich is very forceful. =P
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Okay, so I made an interlude where King has a dream in which Pete, the Great Kitsune and the Spirit Dragon wear a powdered wig, monocle and top hat and sing the opera part (3:02 - 4:00) of Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't ask, by the way.

However, since it involves lyrics from the song itself, that presents hypothetical copyright issues. So... sorry? Just imagine it, if you really want to.

I'll get a chapter or interlude out today, if I'm not distracted by my blu-ray version of The Two Towers.
Coatl_Ruu wrote:Alright, I've read everything you've written here so far, and I think you've done a great job. It's all very well written, keep doin' what you're doin'!
Thanks! I looked at the stuff on your signature - I should say the same back!
Oh-hoh, we'll see.
I can very much imagine Mrs. Sandwich as a crochety old lady physically throwing animals off her lawn unless they try her homemade cookies.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Rollofthedice wrote:Okay, so I made an interlude where King has a dream in which Pete, the Great Kitsune and the Spirit Dragon wear a powdered wig, monocle and top hat and sing the opera part (3:02 - 4:00) of Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't ask, by the way.

However, since it involves lyrics from the song itself, that presents hypothetical copyright issues. So... sorry? Just imagine it, if you really want to.

I'll get a chapter or interlude out today, if I'm not distracted by my blu-ray version of The Two Towers.
Coatl_Ruu wrote:Alright, I've read everything you've written here so far, and I think you've done a great job. It's all very well written, keep doin' what you're doin'!
Thanks! I looked at the stuff on your signature - I should say the same back!
Oh-hoh, we'll see.
I can very much imagine Mrs. Sandwich as a crochety old lady physically throwing animals off her lawn unless they try her homemade cookies.
1.) I think using songs in fanfics is just fine. theblackcateyes has and is still doing that.

2.)Coatl certainly has some great stuff. :3

3.) Nobody has less focus than I! *laughs*

4.) Now I'm imagining her that way, too. That's funny awesome. X3
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Tha Housefox wrote:1.) I think using songs in fanfics is just fine. theblackcateyes has and is still doing that.
Oh, thank heavens. I'll have two things to put up today, then.
2.)Coatl certainly has some great stuff. :3
Yep! It's nice to have great writers on these forums - that way, nobody gets a superiority complex!

Today felt so... lethargic to me. I had trouble writing, even, I just felt so lazy. I hope this chapter isn't as good as it could be because of it - though, it still happens to be one of the longer chapters I've made so far.

Creeping Realizations: Chapter 5

“Hey, James!”

He sighed, and got off the couch. “Yeah?”

“We need to show you around the house, you know!” Peanut grabbed James’ arm and dragged him to a door near the fireplace. Opening it, he motioned James to enter. Doing just that, the cat nearly tripped over a wayward book. Looking around, he quickly figured out why.

The whole area was littered with objects of nearly every reasonable variety – books, video games, toys, movies, music CD’s – and most were scattered haphazardly about the area. Peanut’s bed was on the left side of the room, and covered with books. Curious, James carefully navigated over to them and looked at the titles.

“Wow. Sherlock Holmes, Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, Pride and Prejudice, and even Atlas Shrugged… and the Pridelands series?” Peanut looked embarrassed.

“Well, I don’t think they’re that bad... Atlas Shrugged is REALLY boring, though. I should throw that away or something.” James shook his head, amazed. Tiptoeing around a CD of Weird Al’s Off the Deep End, he left the room. Noticing another next to the Christmas tree in the living room, he went over and peeked inside.

In contrast to Peanut’s room, the place was rather tidy, though an occasional novel could still be seen lying around, and a rather disheveled bed was also on the left side of the quarters. However, although the floor was free of debris, every single wall was filled with posters of only one particular subject. James stifled an urge to groan, realizing that every single one of them was of the main male character in the Pridelands books. The books themselves were placed reverently at the top of a shelf, which was itself positioned at the center of the front wall. Shutting the door, James slowly stepped away from the room.

There was another door on the other side of the Christmas tree and on the right side of the house in general. James assumed it was the owner’s living quarters, but didn’t have time to look inside. Rather, he heard the sound of a car driving up. The entrance to the house opened soon after.

“Honey, I’m home! Please don’t tell me I forgot something!” Mrs. Sandwich darted out of the kitchen, and took a look at what he was holding.

“Hmm… No, that all looks about right.” She then noticed James standing next to the tree.

“Why, there you are! James, this is Earl, my husband!” James walked up to him. With a full but not very long reddish-brown beard, and same-colored hair, James couldn’t tell whether Earl looked like a lumberjack or that Irish talk show host he remembered watching a few weeks back.

“Hey there, James. I’d shake your hand, but I’m a bit tied up at the moment.” Lugging in his arms a cat bed, two bowls, and a packaged MP3 player (along with earphones), James wasn’t surprised.

“Hello.” Taking the player from its precarious position above the cat bowls, James ripped the plastic off with his teeth. Earl laughed.

“Hold on there, buddy! I don’t think it comes with batteries.” James slid open the battery compartment and, dismayed, found it to be the case.

“No worries, though,” Earl went on. “There’s some in the kitchen drawers, and you can upload music with my laptop tomorrow, once we get done with the Christmas festivities. But before you go rushing off – do you want this in Peanut’s or Grape’s room?”

James was silent for a few seconds. Hmm, he thought drily, Dangerous Health Risk or Borderline Cultist? Decisions, decisions.

“Peanut’s, I guess.” Earl chuckled in response.

“Yeah, I wouldn’t want to be faced with that kind of decision either. I’m sure it’ll work out fine, though.” With that, he headed towards Peanut’s room, with Mrs. Sandwich grabbing the bowls off of his person and depositing them in the kitchen. James followed her.

The kitchen itself was quite clean, excluding the sink for washing dishes. A row of counters stood along the front wall, along with the refrigerator, microwave and oven. The center of the kitchen had a fancy oak table to support six, and the back simply led into the living room by a wide arch. There was a digital clock on the leftmost counter that read 9:02; James suddenly realized how tired he was, and how long the day had been.

Mrs. Sandwich pulled the cookies out from the oven, and set them on the table.

“They’re ready!” She yelled, and James was nearly knocked over as Peanut almost flew over him.

“Sorry!” James shook his head. Grape also ran by, though she had the acumen to dodge her way around him. Predictably enough, both Peanut and Grape grabbed the cookies that corresponded to their names – James grabbed one of each, instead.

Just a few minutes later, everybody unwrapped their presents for Christmas Eve – Maxwell, in the meantime, had left to track down “Someone to annoy,” as Earl put it. James, not really having anything to look forward to, sneaked off into Peanut’s room and lied on the bed Earl had bought him. The day had exhausted him, and it only took a few seconds for him to head off to a fitful sleep.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dangerous Health Risk or Borderline Cultist? Decisions, decisions.
I gotta say, that was my favorite part. Though rooming with Grape may have gotten awkward at some point, so I think he made the right choice.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Okay, now for an interlude. And before you ask, no. I don't know either.

Listen along with this, for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ
OR, the Glee version! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9VkWnhqsGo
Start at about 3:02 when you get to the colored text.

Interlude #2: A Rhapsodic Dream (Alternatively: What. The. Crap.)

King had the strangest dream one night.

He was in a separate universe, actually – though to King, that wasn’t surprising at all. Nor was the fact that he saw a giant griffin, kitsune and dragon – King had seen them all before, and rather dreaded seeing them again.

What was weird, though, was what the group was doing. Standing behind three separate podiums on a glass dais, they each wore a monocle, top hat, and powdered wig, like they were absurd British judges.

King felt as if his position in space was distorted; he seemed impossibly close to them, yet incomprehensibly far away, a microscopic speck in a sea of stars. Then, bizarrely, the other beings began to sing – and King felt compelled to sing as well! The kitsune stared directly at King and squinted.

“I see a little silhouetto of a man!”

“Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?!”

“Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening, ME!”

“Galileo!” “Galileo!”
“Galileo!” “Galileo!”
“Galileo, Figaro!”

“Magnifico!”

“I’m just a poor boy, nobody loves me-“

”He’s just a poor boy, from a poor family!”
“Spare him his life, from this monstrosity!”

“Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?

“Bismillah – No! We will not let you go-“ ”Let him go!” “Bismillah! We will not let you go-“ ”Let him go!” “Bismillah! We will not let you go-“ ”Let me go-” “Will not let you go-“ ”Let me go-” “Will not let you go-“

“NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NOOOO-“

“OH MAMA MIA!” King screamed. Pausing, he looked around his room frantically, then confusedly.

“…What was that?!”

Sitting up on his bed, King’s right hand brushed against something. Gasping, he whipped his head around to look at it.

It was a gray, powdered wig. On it was a sticky note, written on in perfect, meticulously tiny and red writing. Turning the lamp near the side of his bed on, King read the message.

“Pete rolled a Natural 20 on the Music skill, but then we rolled a Critical Failure with the Sense Motive skill and we couldn’t discern what we were going to do with the previous. So, we improvised!

Toodleloo!

-Great Kitsune”

King stared at it for a full five minutes. Then, shakily heaving a sigh, he attempted to go back to sleep.

(Author's Note: Not only did that take a lot more time than it should've, it also looks a lot shorter than on Microsoft Word. Ah well.
Also, yeah, the D&D joke IS a bit weak. I had to work it in somehow, though.)
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

:shock:
:lol:
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

How random...not that I haven't had random-er dreams. :>
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Rollofthedice wrote:Thanks! I looked at the stuff on your signature - I should say the same back!
Hey! My shameless self-promotion advertisement worked!

Anyway, the interlude with King was great. It was neat how the lyrics actually seemed to fit the storyline... And the DnD joke at the end? Icing on the nonsensical, delicious cake.
Obbl wrote: :shock:
Well said, Obbl. Well said. XD
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Ha! How's that for creative! :twisted:
Daggy wrote:How random...not that I haven't had random-er dreams. :>

I once had a dream, years ago, where Tigger was in front of one of those red-and-white swirly circles. He kept on saying, in a ghostly voice, "What did I ever doooo to you!"

I thought it was because I hadn't watched enough Winnie the Pooh episodes.
Coatl_Ruu wrote:
Rollofthedice wrote:Thanks! I looked at the stuff on your signature - I should say the same back!
Hey! My shameless self-promotion advertisement worked!
Don't be ashamed, it happens to the best of us. *cough Joys and Sorrows thread cough*
Anyway, the interlude with King was great. It was neat how the lyrics actually seemed to fit the storyline... And the DnD joke at the end? Icing on the nonsensical, delicious cake.
Okay, great! I was worried I was seeing parallels that weren't there, for a while. Nice to see I'm not crazy.
Well said, Obbl. Well said. XD
Glad to see people like it!

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Okay, so I read some of Sinder's stories on the forums here, and I was blown away. I mean, literally emotionally shaken by the stuff, perhaps because it's been a very long time since I've read something of professional quality.

So, I was thus inspired to write. All I want to say is this: Sinder? You are a freaking genius.

Interlude #3: Unanswered Questions

James wasn’t sure he liked going to sleep anymore.

Waking up in the dead of the night, he didn’t feel afraid. Rather, he simply felt soul-crushingly alone. In a span of one day, he had seen his owner die before his eyes; he had lost the only home he had ever known.

Most importantly to him, James had lost the only person who knew him more than he did. Whenever he had questions, James knew that without a doubt, she would have the right answer – whether they were about life, or the universe, or even James himself. But what if you died, Mom? He thought, tightly closing his eyes to keep the tears in. What if you couldn’t solve my problems ever again?

Could I really solve them myself?

James felt he had to be alone. As quietly as he felt he was able to, he left Peanut’s room, and subsequently the Sandwiches’ house. Then, sitting on the steps leading to the entrance of the residence, James looked up to the sky.

“Are you up there, Mom?” He whispered, and wept. For what felt like hours, all he could do was weep, his mind conjuring up desperately depressing images in turn.

“Mom,” James added, crying even harder, “There can’t be a better place than this, I know it! At least, there can’t be a better place for you to be! B-Because,” he said, finding it hard to speak. “No matter how amazing it is…”

“…It’d only really be better if I was with you too,” James mumbled. Without even any more tears to cry with, he simply sobbed drily.

“Right?”
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Augh, sadness! It works.

Nice interludes. Though Glee? Eugh. *giggles*
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Tha Housefox wrote: Augh, sadness! It works.
I was actually crying while I was typing that one. After four hours and a nap, I'm still not entirely sure why.

I kinda needed to make an interlude like this, just for story purposes - it wouldn't do to simply reference James feeling sad once in a while. It'd feel like brushing the whole selling point of the story off, and that simply wouldn't do.
Nice interludes. Though Glee? Eugh. *giggles*
I stand firm behind the belief that the Glee version of Bohemian Rhapsody is just as good than the original.

And the all-male acapella version of 'Teenage Dream' is even better.

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

So, how do you guys like my new signature? ;)

Creeping Realizations, Chapter 6:

Every Christmas morning, Peanut made sure to wake up early – there’d always be a big bag of candy right next to his bed. This year was no different, and he jumped out of bed to tell Grape the good news. Before leaving his room, though, he realized that James wasn’t in his bed. Furrowing his brow, Peanut wondered if he was awake.

Stepping into the living room, he found it to be the case. James was sitting on the couch, watching a DVD of The Aristocats. Even when looking at the back of his head, Peanut could tell he was tired.

“Hey there, James!” Peanut looked over the couch at him. “Did you get your candy?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sure,” James murmured, and lifted his left hand. Clutched in it was a basket, with as many dizzying varieties of treats as Peanut’s. Taking that as due confirmation, the canine dropped the conversation and ran inside Grape’s room.

“GRAPE! Wake up, there’s candy!” James could hear Grape’s groans over the movie.

“What time is it, you mangy dog?”

“Uh, let’s see… about six A.M., I think!”

“…”

James wasn’t exactly sure how, but he detected seething rage coming from Grape’s silence. Wary of what could come next, he quickly turned off the TV, set his candy on the couch (He personally vowed to himself that if anyone ate any bit of it, someone would get hurt) and went outside.

“I need to meet some of the other cats anyhow,” James mumbled to himself. He had planned to introduce himself the day before, but Christmas Eve turned out to be a much more tiring day than he expected.

It didn’t take long for James to find other pets – walking right by the Sandwich residence was an orange cat, with a more cream-colored torso, and a more completely orange dog – the latter looking quite sullen. Stepping up to them, James began to introduce himself.

“Hello, there! My name is James! Because of, ah…” He struggled to find the right words to describe the predicament he had been in. “Distressing circumstances, the Sandwiches have adopted me, and I live with them now.”

The other cat looked slightly confused, but went along with it. “Hi, then, I guess! My name is Marvin, and this is… Uh, well…” Marvin looked highly uncomfortable. James raised an eyebrow.

“Yes?”

The dog just stared at him, intensely.

“His name is Tiger.” James blinked, and couldn’t help but smirk.

“Really? I don’t see any stri- AGH!”

Suddenly, James was on his back, and Tiger was one step removed from causing serious harm to his face.

“Oh, my- TIGER! Let go of him!” Marvin sounded much more exasperated than shocked or angry. James felt the whole situation he was in would be hilarious, if he wasn’t the one that was about to get punched.

Marvin managed to pull Tiger off of him, and James scrambled back, crab-style.

“I-I was just joking! Really, your name is perfectly, wonderfully fine! In fact, it’s really quite, uh… Ferocious! Yeah, that’s the word! Ferocious! Please don’t kill me!"

Suddenly, Tiger’s demeanor changed dramatically, from livid anger to a happy-go-lucky smile that James couldn’t help but be deeply disturbed by.

“Oh, that’s okay!” He laughed, as if he hadn’t a care in the world. “What’s a little joking amongst friends, huh?”

Laughing nervously along with him, James slowly stood up and backed away. When he was at a suitably comfortable distance away from the rather deranged animal, he gave up all pretenses and ran faster than he had ever run before.

(Author's Note: It's a lot easier to write jokes when you've had just over two hours of sleep)

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

I hope this doesn't sound like begging, guys, but feedback is very appreciated! Whether it's praise or whether you have a veritable laundry list of criticisms, I don't care. It's just really great to get responses of any kind on my work.

This chapter's probably the shortest I've made so far. It's still relatively plot-important (Character introduction!), and segues into an upcoming interlude, so you might not want to skip it.

Creeping Realizations, Chapter 7:

While James was running for his life, he bumped into someone. Well, ‘bumped into’ would be the wrong word to use; a better term would be ‘nearly tripped over.’ Luckily, James was able to (barely) dodge the thing. Taking a breather, he took a look at his former obstacle.

The ‘thing’ happened to be a Welsh Corgi, which James supposed accounted for the height difference. Crossing his arms, he looked up at James in puzzlement.

“You’re definitely in a hurry.”

“Uh, yeah,” James stated hurriedly. “Sorry for nearly running into you.” Seeing the canine’s still bemused face, James added, “Running from Tiger, you see.”

“Ah." The canine didn't seem too surprised. "Don’t worry; he doesn’t chase anyone very far. Well, except for maybe Bino.” The corgi held out his hand, and James reached down to shake it. “I’m King.”

“Hello there, King. I’m James. I, uh, got here recently, in case you couldn’t already tell. The Sandwiches adopted me. Anyway,” James went on, pointedly overriding any questions King was about to ask, “I need to get going. See you later!” With that, he jogged back home.

“Oh, there you are!” Mrs. Sandwich said, greeting James. “Peanut told me you headed outside.”

“Did anyone touch my candy? Because if they did…

“Oh, no,” Mrs. Sandwich laughed. “I made sure not a single soul even touched it! It’s on the table in the kitchen. Earl’s laptop is there too, so you can put music on your MP3 player.”

“Oh, okay,” James went on. “Thanks!” Running into Peanut’s room – as he had left his player there for the day – he went back and plugged the appliance into the computer. Thoughtfully chewing on some taffy he had taken from his candy bag, he wondered what to put on it. Then, inspiration struck.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Scarborough Fair, Carnival of Rust, Estranged, Hey Soul Sister… It took a good half hour to get all the songs he wanted. Closing the lid on the laptop, James looked at the clock – it was 10:43 A.M. It suddenly struck him that he hadn’t had breakfast yet, and his stomach responded to the revelation in kind.

Luckily, Mrs. Sandwich had evidently prepared for the predicament. Two bowls sat on the front countertop, each filled with cat food and water, respectively. Thanking both his new owners and his luck, James quickly ate and drank his fill.

Exhausted from both lack of sleep and the occasions of the day, James went over to the living room couch and collapsed onto it. Closing his eyes, he plugged the earphones that came with his MP3 player and let the music envelop him in his sleep.

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Heh. Poor James. Though given his personality, this situation was kind of inevitable. =P

Now I'm beginning to wonder what part King is going to play in all this...
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The only reason you didn't get feedback is because I don't tend to check things that I know are going to be updates until I get to my computer sometime at night.

While I have no criticisms, I do find it funny that King ended up being a speedbump. *giggles*
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:Heh. Poor James. Though given his personality, this situation was kind of inevitable. =P
Yeah, I love writing characters whose snark actually becomes a health risk. I guess that's why I think Max is awesome. :lol:
Now I'm beginning to wonder what part King is going to play in all this...
:oops: Would it be unprofessional if I felt the same way? See, I'm seriously just writing these chapters and interludes on random whims. In fact, I only really started thinking about a suitably epic, overarching plot for this fanfic an hour ago.

In regards to King, though, a few ideas are rattling around in my head. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess. ;)
Tha Housefox wrote:
While I have no criticisms, I do find it funny that King ended up being a speedbump. *giggles*
I really just couldn't resist.

Hey, look! It's another lyrical piece! Be warned, though: It's quite... different compared to my previous. Regardless, I think it's one of the better things I've made on this thread.

Here is the song, if you want to listen/sing along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqSOn4NPk4
Play it when you start reading the italicized sentences (those are the lyrics).

Creeping Realizations, Chapter 8: The Voice

James stood on a road of brilliantly white clouds. Above him, the stars twinkled by the untold millions, and on the sides of the path were vertical seas of the clearest water James had ever seen. Walking towards the edge of the path, he peered inside. Rather than seeing an end, or even the murky darkness of deep waters, James instead simply saw everything. Every single concept or item or process that even had the vaguest basis in reality could be found in the depths of the standing oceans.

Sudden warmth enveloped James’ soul. Blinking, James realized that, rather than the cloudy pathway being the ground, the oceans were – and he was standing on them. Finding this to be perfectly reasonable and valid, James felt an overwhelming urge to move forward.

In every step James took, music began to play, growing progressively louder in accordance to his pace. In the far distance, he saw a strangely familiar woman. Despite the apparent miles of distance between each other, James could pinpoint every possible detail – she held an aura of benevolence, wore a shroud of heavenly silver, and had eyes with more hues than James could possibly comprehend. He was struck with a feeling of intense, almost painful recognition, and yet he didn’t know who she was.

Opening her mouth, an incredible surge of serenity filled James, as the mysterious lady began to sing.

“I hear your voice on the wind – and I hear you call out my name!”

James was awestruck, hypnotized by the enthralling power of her voice.

Slowly walking towards her, the woman simply smiled and kept singing.

“’Listen, my child,’ you say to me. “'I am The Voice of your History! Be not afraid – come follow me!

“Answer my call and I’ll set you free!'”

“What are you?” James whispered reverently, continuing to tread towards her.

“I am The Voice in the wind and the pouring rain - I am The Voice of your Hunger and Pain!

“I am The Voice that always is calling you!

“I am The Voice – I will remain!”

Whenever James moved closer, the staggering detail of the enigmatic female became even more pronounced. Staring directly at her, James realized that her eyes did not, as he previously believed, hold innumerable shades of colors. Rather, they held the universes themselves - their beginnings and endings, and all the life in between.

“I am The Voice in the fields when the summer’s gone, the dance of the leaves when the autumn winds blow!

“Ne’er do I sleep throughout all the cold winter long - I am the force that in springtime will grow!”

James reached out his hand, now close enough to touch. However, seeing the water of the pond ripple ever so slightly underneath his feat, he hesitated.

The woman’s suddenly furious eyes became a dark, clotted red, and James’ mind was assaulted by millions of terrible images, too numerous and disturbing for a mortal mind to completely comprehend – entire cosmoses, obliterated slowly and painfully, with the screams of the galaxies themselves enough to destroy the psyche.

James would have screamed himself, but he felt frozen as the inscrutably chaotic woman continued to sing.

“I am The Voice of the Past that will always be,

“Filled with my sorrow and blood in my fields,

“I am The Voice of the Future!

“Bring me your peace!

“Bring me your peace, and my wounds… they will heal!

James’ surroundings faded away, and all that was left, other than him - was a woman, with an aura of malevolence, a shroud of the purest black, and empty sockets filled with death itself.

“I am The Voice in the wind and the pouring rain;

“I am The Voice of your Hunger and Pain!

“I am The Voice that always is calling you!

“I am The Voice!"

Soon, even she disappeared, with her song still keening across time.

“I am The Voice of the Past that will always be!

“I am The Voice of your Hunger and Pain!

“I am The Voice of the Future!

“I am The Voice!

“I am The Voice!

"I am The Voice!

“I AM THE VOICE!”

James, now without any chilling melodies to hold him in darkness, awoke. He had apparently slept through the afternoon. The lights were all out, and the small part of James' brain that was functioning concluded that the Sandwiches were all asleep.

Not even bothering to scream, James just stared up towards the ceiling, and quietly wept.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan »

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

... Wow. I would definitely agree that this is one of the best chapters so far. Reading through it, with the music playing in the background, conjured a very vivid, powerful image for me. I would start a slow clap, were everyone here not hundreds of miles apart. =P
Rollofthedice wrote::oops: Would it be unprofessional if I felt the same way? See, I'm seriously just writing these chapters and interludes on random whims. In fact, I only really started thinking about a suitably epic, overarching plot for this fanfic an hour ago.
Well, for The Dogs of War, I just recently figured out the details of the last couple chapters. But if you ask me, it's good to start with at least a vague idea of how you're going to end.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:... Wow. I would definitely agree that this is one of the best chapters so far. Reading through it, with the music playing in the background, conjured a very vivid, powerful image for me. I would start a slow clap, were everyone here not hundreds of miles apart. =P
Thanks! I've never done lyrical chapters/interludes before in anything I've written, and I'm very glad to see it's working out as well as it is.
Well, for The Dogs of War, I just recently figured out the details of the last couple chapters. But if you ask me, it's good to start with at least a vague idea of how you're going to end.
Well, yeah. For some reason though, I usually end up writing everything as I go along - in contrast to most (and probably better) writers, who have very major plot points already considered, mapped out, and prepared for.

I mean, I could actually stop heatedly banging on my keyboard and instead start thinking about what exactly I'm doing - but who thinks, really? :lol:

I'm going to break my 'post a day' resolution, just for this Monday (I hope so, at least). Not only do I have extended editions of the Lord of the Rings to watch, I also feel content to let Chapter 8 speak for itself for awhile.

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

It's 4:39 AM, but I can't stop typing!

Creeping Realizations, Chapter 9:

Shaking, James got up from the couch; he needed a drink. Throwing his earphones and MP3 player on the table (the batteries had long since died after James' long sleep), he trudged into the kitchen. Opening the refrigerator door and grabbing a milk carton from the middle shelf, James realized that he hadn't ever bothered to find out where the glasses were. Sighing, he went and put the container on the nearby dining table. Then, spinning around, James made to look under the myriad of cupboards underneath the countertops.

However, he soon paused, as the window above the sink opened, and two raccoons began to climb out. Their fronts facing the kitchen wall, they jumped onto the floor and turned - and saw James staring.

The intruders froze instantly. Taking slow steps to their right, one of them raised his hands.

"Now, don't do anything rash," he said, nervously. "We're just going to take your trash a-"

"You do realize that all I need to do is scream," James interrupted. "I'm sure you'd rather have the luxury of escaping without an entire house's worth of people being alerted."

The raccoons thought about that for a moment.

"Aren't you going to try and hurt us? Use your claws, or maybe knock us out with a broom?

James smiled weakly. "I don't want to have anything to do with pain tonight," he stated.

"However," he continued menacingly, holding up a clawed paw. "You wouldn't want me to regret that decision, now, would you? Now leave, quickly. Don't try to take anything, either."

"Uh, Steve?" One of the coons said. "Maybe we should just leave." Dropping to a whisper - which was rather foolish, all things considered, since cats had very good hearing - he elaborated. "We don't want that purple one to catch us." Steve sighed.

"Fine," He said, hiking back up, jumping back up onto the window. "But if we come back, and you're asleep..."

"Then I'll wake up, since none of you seem to grasp the concept of subtlety," James finished. "And next time, I will use a broom."

With that, the raccoons shut the windowpane and fled into the night.

Secondly, I've been thinking of writing a second fanfic whenever I wrap this one up (which could take a long while). I've decided to call it Housepets! Medieval: A Non-Cannon Adventure. I hope the idea sounds interesting, at least!

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Interlude #4: Google It

Peanut woke up quite early in the morning – he wasn’t really a late sleeper to begin with, but seven in the morning was unusual, even for him. Mentally shrugging, he wiped the sleep from his eyes and got out of bed.

Once again, James was sitting on the couch, having continued The Aristocats where he had left off. As Peanut went to make himself some cereal, a slight stab of shame pierced him. Nobody had really had a long, friendly conversation with James yet, and Peanut thought he always looked alone and lost. Munching on some Doggy Bone-O’s (Which, curiously enough, were endorsed by Bono), he sat down next to the feline.

“A square with that horn, makes you wish you weren’t born, ever’time he plays –“

“Hey there, James!”

“What? Oh, hey Peanut.” James shook his head as if he was breaking out of a trance, and paused the movie. “You’re up early.”

“Yeah, usually I wake up in an hour or two. So,” he went on, trying to find something noteworthy to talk about. “Um… did you like Christmas?” He said somewhat lamely.

James sighed, lost in thought. “It was good, don’t worry.” He smiled. “Even getting to live here is a blessing enough – pet shelters aren’t terribly awful, but I still wouldn’t want to be in one.” Peanut smiled.

“Me neither. I thought Christmas was great this year!” Wistfully, he furrowed his brow. “Mom told me Uncle Reuben was going to come, but I guess something came up.”

“Uncle Reuben?” Peanut could have sworn he saw James’ left eye start twitching.

“Uh, yeah. Dad invited Cousin Ciabatta and Aunt Muffuletta from Italy, but-“
Abruptly, James got up and irritably left the house, leaving a quite confused Peanut wondering exactly what he said wrong.