[Webcomic PG-13] Housepets! 1X

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

ShadowLightning

Re: [Fancomic PG-13] Housepets! 1X

Post by ShadowLightning »

valerio wrote:That must be how FFDD Jack will look one day...
"FFDD Jack"? What's that? :?

Gee, Spike makes some really weird friends, doesn't he? :lol:
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
valerio

Post by valerio »

whoops, I meant FFD = Four Finger Discount Jack
Karl

Post by Karl »

valerio wrote:That must be how FFDD Jack will look one day...
That's how we ALL are going to look one day.

But till then that happens... decay!
I'm a bookworm!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

A few corrections, if I'm allowed, (And if I'm not allowed, too!)
First panel: "(...) but that is a minor detail."
Second panel: "By working as a mechanic (...)" "For example, two folks (guys is for an all male group, normally, though Grape DOES look male sometimes.) wearing Heavenly armor (Singular, not plural.) (...)"
Third panel: "But you are not going to tell on us, right?"
Fourth panel: "I'm sure we can get to know each other better and reach an agreement."

That's all, folks! : )
Gren wrote:Well, that town isn't too much different from Buenos Aires, I fear. :?
It's winter here, and it has more sun on it, but yeah, pretty much. Probably this "town" has less population, though.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gren

Post by Gren »

It's just me or first panel is a One Piece reference?
Silly Zealot wrote:
Gren wrote:Well, that town isn't too much different from Buenos Aires, I fear. :?
It's winter here, and it has more sun on it, but yeah, pretty much. Probably this "town" has less population, though.
I wasn't talking of the season nor the weather when I said that.
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yeesh, Spike seems to be quite the natural down there.... perhaps because of his human side?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

@Zealot: mh, are those important corrections, or minor ones? Because I'll probably won't have the possibility to touch a PC this weekend (and I'll surely forget)

Plus, i have a favor to ask. Since is very heavy to pass more time on fixing than working on new pages, if there are minor issues (or even none of them), I'd avoid to fix... if i made a true syntax or grammatical error, ok. Otherwise...

Ps. I always appreciate the help you all give me, really, I'll never be grateful enough. Just... i don't understand if i have to be sad and suicide, since i receive corrections for every single page, for months... D: if it doesn't work, ok. If it works...
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Mostly we want to help, but we can go overboard with the corrections. Don't be afraid to let us know.
It's more the difference between native English and foreign English. What you write is perfectly understandable, but little things sound odd or are uncharacteristic of natural, conversational English. Like using "doing the mechanic" or "we can know each other better" is easy to understand, but doesn't sound entirely natural.
You can do a job, but you can't do "the mechanic" or "the doctor"; instead you "work as" "a mechanic" or "a doctor".
"Know" is a very passive or state of being type of verb. You can know someone in the sense that you know of someone or know a lot about someone. If you're very good friends you might say you "know them very well" meaning you two have had meaningful conversations and understand a lot about each other. However, you can't use know in an active sense. Instead you "get to know" someone.

I disagree with Silly about the use of guys in this case. Specifically "guys" tends to be considered much more gender neutral for some reason (like "you guys" is commonly used to refer to a group of any gender). Some people would be more specific with something like "a guy and a gal" or "two folks" (as Silly suggested), but it would not be the most common case in my opinion. However, we would say "two guys in heavenly armor" because "armor" does not really pluralize. This is because it derives from "suit of armor" which pluralizes to "suits of armor". So when you shorten it to "armor", the 's' stays with the word "suit" which gets dropped. (Weird) :?

All in all, it's things that we mostly understand through context anyway. You have a good grasp of the English language, but you don't have the cultural background to know all the little ins and outs. Like the word "sue" is always used in reference to a lawsuit. He might "tell on" or "snitch on" them, but in this situation a lawsuit seems unlikely.

So don't feel bad about not knowing some of these things. It takes a long time to get familiar enough with a language to be able to write in it, and it takes longer to get so familiar with a language that you can fool native speakers. But we like your comic as long as we understand what's going on. :D
But no spelling errors. We are watching :twisted:
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

No, please, Don't feel bad! We just wanted to give corrections fr posterity, you know? So that it's easier to understand for future readers and stuff!
We don't want you to be sad, there is no reason to be sad.
Obbl wrote:Mostly we want to help, but we can go overboard with the corrections. Don't be afraid to let us know.
It's more the difference between native English and foreign English. What you write is perfectly understandable, but little things sound odd or are uncharacteristic of natural, conversational English. Like using "doing the mechanic" or "we can know each other better" is easy to understand, but doesn't sound entirely natural.
I agree, this is kind of a textual version of uncanny valley: We PERFECTLY understand what the characters are trying to say, but we still can tell the mistakes in the grammar.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

A rustic workshop for a rustic person... in a rustic place

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@Obbl & Zealot: i'm well aware about it, and i'm grateful, you can't even imagine, really. Just, be in my shoes for a second... i'm here, quite sure what i wrote is understandable... feedback. Ok, i made some silly mistake 'cause i translated when still asleep... good to have it. But imagine to have the terror to receive up to THREE different corrections from three different persons in three different moments. That's why i'm a little paranoid, and sad, because it seems i can't write anything without unleashing the grammar nazis... i'm scared of every word i put on paper. And, remember, this is totally NOT like changing a simple text, i have to modify an image, much longer and difficult. Again, up to three times in a day.

That's why i asked for mercy... really, these days i pass more time on fixing than working on new pages. If i wrote something REALLY bad, it'll be my pleasure to fix. Otherwise... i ask you because i don't know, it is really necessary?

I repeat, this is not a critic or something to the help you give me, i'd never... i love y'all guys <3 but please don't make me fix a page for three times in a day O.Q
Last edited by _Stu_ on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

valerio

Post by valerio »

oookay, seriously, how long before these two are *sold* to management so that the mechanic can buy himself a new home?
ShadowLightning

valerio wrote:oookay, seriously, how long before these two are *sold* to management so that the mechanic can buy himself a new home?
Not too long from the looks of it. :( Given the situation he's in, it wouldn't be too surprising to see if he did sold them.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Why so sure everyone in hell is a bad guy? :3 poor Mach...

valerio

Post by valerio »

...well, the netherworld is not exactly known for being a nice neighborhood... *whistles*
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Experiencing hell in hell... well that's what it's for. XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Gren

Post by Gren »

Capitalism has corrupted another society, even demons aren't safe of it (poor things :cry: ). Now globalization has reached new levels: underground levels.
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

it's funny, come to think of it: Capitalism was supposed to be invented in hell... :shock:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

And let us steer clear from capitalism for a bit, ok? :?

Well, if Dante is to be believed, everyone in Hell is there because they deserve it.

Well, Stu, you know, you don't have to fix the minor ones. Sometimes we point out minor errors just to kind of educate you to help you improve your mastery of the English language and incorporate it into future updates rather than current ones.
My characters
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I wonder if they had their own version off the occupy Wall Street thingy?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

One would hope not, given copper's admonition to steer clear of political or otherwise controversial statements!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Everything i do, i do it in function of plot and/or characterization. Don't worry, i won't transform this into a global economy lesson ;)

Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Haha! It's a good strip, this week!
An alternate dialogue could be:
-Do you live here?
-............... I am a talking skeleton. I don't "live" here!
_Stu_ wrote:If i wrote something REALLY bad, it'll be my pleasure to fix. Otherwise... i ask you because i don't know, it is really necessary?
Yes and no: It is not necessary for us to understand what the characters are saying, but it would make readers, especially future ones, enjoy it much more.
copper wrote:And let us steer clear from capitalism for a bit, ok? :?
Dissension wrote:One would hope not, given copper's admonition to steer clear of political or otherwise controversial statements!
This fantasy story with cartoon animals starring it.
One does not simply take what talking animals (Or skeletons, for that matter.) say seriously.
Take with a grain of salt.
You know what? Take it with whole salt shaker. Or find a salt dessert, since we are at it.

EDIT: Oooh, Or you could pay a visit to Salt Lake City!
Or go to the Dead Sea!
copper wrote:Well, if Dante is to be believed, everyone in Hell is there because they deserve it.
One of my favourite phrases ever comes from Reverend Lovejoy:
"I'll see you in Hell!
From Heaven!"

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Perhaps I should clarify here. My warning was not issued toward Stu and the comic, but rather all the negative comments about Capitalism that were cropping up. We try not to be negative here, and it is a violation of the rules to discuss potentially controversial topics like economic policy... please steer clear of it in the future, at least when commenting.
My characters
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Yeah but NOW you're just too awesome to be uncool by saying "no"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
copper wrote:Perhaps I should clarify here. My warning was not issued toward Stu and the comic, but rather all the negative comments about Capitalism that were cropping up. We try not to be negative here, and it is a violation of the rules to discuss potentially controversial topics like economic policy... please steer clear of it in the future, at least when commenting.
I see, i got it wrong xD sry

valerio

Post by valerio »

Grape is such a leader! :lol: :lol:
Gren

Post by Gren »

♪ Love is in the air ♫
ImageImage
ShadowLightning

It may sound cold but I think he's just trying to deceive both of them.
valerio wrote:Grape is such a leader! :lol: :lol:
Agreed. :lol:
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I'm imagining that the comments right underneath each comic (the ones that are part of the same post as the comic) are the alt-text.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Puppy Love~ *mauled by a demonic Grape*
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Why do demons need to work? Aren't they immortal, metaphysical beings?
Why would they be forced to get money? It's not like they will starve to death if they don't get their daily bread!
Legotron123 wrote:I'm imagining that the comments right underneath each comic (the ones that are part of the same post as the comic) are the alt-text.
They are! This comic, along with the one about Happy Feet gone horribly wrong have their own sites outside the forums.
Just click on the banners in Stu's signature to access them.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Silly Zealot wrote:Why do demons need to work?
maybe this is where the slothful are punished. They're forced to work harder to survive than they ever did on Earth
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Aww i want one too so to scare it to figurative death
Last edited by _Stu_ on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...you know karma's gonna bite them BIG TIME!!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, if they want to end up in a pit filled with hot lava...
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

I freakin' love the mechanic! 8-)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That's the sort of the thing I do In video games.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, they do deserve the taunting... they are in Hell after all.

That little skeleton is a good guy in my book. Strange how he is in such a place.

They can fly now! Cool!
My characters