The Dogs of War

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

jopencjusz

Re: Coatl Ruu's Fanfiction Repository

Post by jopencjusz »

Heh, quite often we can find "z" in polish names ;) But I can give you other examples, like Achacy, Maksymilian, Unisław, Świętopełk, etc. :P
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Obbl wrote:What is it with you people and you're "Holy Crap! Why are there 8 consonants in this word with 1 vowel?!?!" words? It's like, you guys obviously do this just to spite us poor "1-3 consonants per vowel" people. :P :
If you think consonants are bad, try to pronounce this: "árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép" ;) We also have accented letters in our words. Lots of them... :lol:
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, I don't mind lots of vowels quite as much, though I can see how that would be a pain in the rear to say with any speed :lol:
Though Finnish has some really whacked vowel combinations that I still don't have down. Like yi and iy (üi and iü), also yö and öy (üö and öü) Very annoying for me :lol:

Also Coatl, really enjoyed the story. Duke is a true hero :D
Last edited by Obbl on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Hehe, nice Broken Fox, I like it ;)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Broken Fox wrote:If you think consonants are bad, try to pronounce this: "árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép" ;) We also have accented letters in our words. Lots of them... :lol:
So... many... accents! And I thought Spanish was bad with those. :P
Obbl wrote:Yeah, I don't mind lots of vowels quite as much, though I can see how that would be a pain in the rear to say with any speed :lol:
Though Finnish has some really whacked vowel combinations that I still don't have down. Like yi and iy (üi and iü), also yö and öy (üö and öü) Very annoying for me :lol:

Also Coatl, really enjoyed the story. Duke is a true hero :D
Glad to hear you liked it!

Once I have the next entry/part/chapter ready (which should be within a few days), I think I'll start up a new thread. I've already got at least six or seven chapters planned out (about half of them are cliff-hangers. You guys are gonna hate me. :P) and there are definitely going to be more than that.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Why start a new thread? This one is only at four pages and you can link directly to each update in the first post (as you've done so far).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Hmm. Good point. I suppose I could just tack "The Dogs of War" onto the title and call it a day.
Bino

Post by Bino »

Just read through all this stuff and loved it!

Btw on the Channel Surfing fanfic were the Milton ferrets on the Colbert Report? Cuz that is Classic!
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
So...... *kisses sleet* BOOM! I WIN!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:Once I have the next entry/part/chapter ready (which should be within a few days), I think I'll start up a new thread. I've already got at least six or seven chapters planned out (about half of them are cliff-hangers. You guys are gonna hate me. :P) and there are definitely going to be more than that.
Hmmm... Wasn't there a third story you mentioned? I thought we were going to see that one, before you continue with Dogs of War.

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Bino wrote:Btw on the Channel Surfing fanfic were the Milton ferrets on the Colbert Report? Cuz that is Classic!
YES! I was waiting for someone to notice that.
The Broken Fox wrote:Hmmm... Wasn't there a third story you mentioned? I thought we were going to see that one, before you continue with Dogs of War.
Ohright... :? Almost forgot about that. That'll probably be a fairly short one, so I might be able to get it done tonight or tomorrow.
Bino

Post by Bino »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
Bino wrote:Btw on the Channel Surfing fanfic were the Milton ferrets on the Colbert Report? Cuz that is Classic!
YES! I was waiting for someone to notice that.
As soon as "comedian" and "black suit" were mentioned i started wondering who it was. Then they said he did a "victory lap" and i knew it was him. The fact that one of the ferrets was drinking from a mug and addressed him as Stephen was just icing on the cake
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Alright, update time. 'Recursion' is temporarily scrapped for being garbled, rambling, and just generally incomprehensible. So, that's going on the back burner, and I'm going to continue with The Dogs of War, which should be posted on Sunday.

Also, I've decided on an update schedule (shocking, I know). Barring any obstructions (like, for example, driver's ed...) there should be a new entry each Sunday.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Yay, finally an update! But no 'Recursion'... Maybe you should watch Inception to get in the mood to finish it?

Also good luck with your driving lessons! I've had my license for six years now, so a piece of good advice: pedestrians aren't worth extra points in RL!!! :lol:

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

I actually have seen Inception, and while it is awesome, it's not quite what I had in mind.

And oddly enough, under state law, hitting pedestrians does get you points. But if you get 12 points, you lose your license... :? A different kind of points, I suppose.
Bino

Post by Bino »

U live in florida coatl?
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Nope. I'm a bit further north than that.
Bino

Post by Bino »

Ah, i thought florida was the only state that used a point system for law
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:I actually have seen Inception, and while it is awesome, it's not quite what I had in mind.
Didn't you say it's a fanfic inside a fanfic? I would think that's sort of similar...
Coatl_Ruu wrote:IAnd oddly enough, under state law, hitting pedestrians does get you points. But if you get 12 points, you lose your license... :? A different kind of points, I suppose.
So it's not like in Scott Pilgrim, that they burst into a heap of coins? :roll:
Bino wrote:U live in florida coatl?
Good luck getting him to tell you where he lives... :lol: The best I got when I asked was a riddle! Darn it Coatl, I still haven't solved that! :evil:

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Broken Fox wrote:Didn't you say it's a fanfic inside a fanfic? I would think that's sort of similar...
It's sort of like that.
The Broken Fox wrote:So it's not like in Scott Pilgrim, that they burst into a heap of coins? :roll:
Nah, here they burst into a heap of lawsuits. :P
The Broken Fox wrote:Darn it Coatl, I still haven't solved that! :evil:
I told you, just google it! Then watch the video that comes up. ;)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
The Broken Fox wrote:Didn't you say it's a fanfic inside a fanfic? I would think that's sort of similar...
It's sort of like that.

A fanfiction of fanfiction... I wonder how does that look.
Now you made me want to read it xD
I'm a bookworm!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Oh... Well, you may have to wait a little while for that.

Tell ya what, here's the new chapter of the Dogs of War. Am I off the hook? ;)

----------

Chapter 1 – Setting The Stage

Two months later...

Forward Operating Base Bravo, 1432 hours.

Colonel Ludlum sat at his cluttered desk, leaning back in his seat and looking with mild interest at the small stack of papers he held in one hand. The colonel was a medium-sized man in his late fifties, with the graying hair and wrinkled, grizzled face to prove it. The rest of the office was mostly bare; a few book-shelves and filing cabinets behind the desk, a couple of chairs in front, and a lazily rotating ceiling fan above that served to stir the humid air.

The door to Colonel Ludlum's office swung open to reveal a tall, skinny young man standing at attention. “You asked to see me, sir?” he asked, staring forward with his hand raised in a salute.

Colonel Ludlum waved him in, leaning forward and setting aside the folder he'd been inspecting. “At ease, Lieutenant Crichton. Have a seat.” Lieutenant Crichton relaxed and did as he was told, pulling up one of the lightly cushioned chairs. Colonel Ludlum leaned forward, brushing aside some of the clutter so he could rest his arms on the surface. “There were a few matters I wanted to discuss with you.”

“Of course, sir.”

Colonel Ludlum picked up the folder he'd been reading and handed it over to the young man, who opened it to see the image of a bearded Afghan man who was flashing a lopsided grin at the camera. “Usaid Rasshim,” Colonel Ludlum said smoothly, steepling his fingers in front of his nose. “A local warlord. We suspect that he's supplying weapons to the insurgents, operating out of a small town about thirty miles to the east of Khandahar. We need to mount a reconnaissance mission to determine exactly where the weapons cache is so that it can be dealt with accordingly.”

Lieutenant Crichton nodded thoughtfully, poring over the information inside the folder. “I assume that you would like me to organize this mission, sir?”

“Exactly. Are there any of your men that you had in mind?”

Lieutenant Crighton thought about that for a moment before he answered the colonel's question. “Perhaps, sir. Have you considered using one of the K-9 units?”

The colonel thought about that. “Not exactly. Are they any good?”

The lieutenant nodded sharply. “My dogs are some of the best, sir. If it were a night mission, they'd be able to get in and out, no problem.”

“Alright, we'll go with that. Assemble the team, then report back to me.”

“Yessir.” Crichton got to his feet, saluted, and prepared to leave. The colonel held up a hand. “One more thing, lieutenant.”

“Yes, sir?”

The colonel's eyes narrowed. “Get those jackasses from the third guard shift for me. Tell 'em that if they continue taking potshots at the local ferals, I'm having them all court martialed. Understood?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Dismissed.”

----------

At the southern gate of the base, the heat was even more overbearing. The hot sun shone down on a pair of Marines boiling in full combat gear, and a trio of panting, body-armored dogs who weren't much better off.

“Oh, man,” groaned a German Shepherd named Sebastian. “How long is it until the shift change?”

“Quit whining,” muttered Achilles, a Doberman standing to Sebastian's left. He smacked the other dog upside the head when he opened his mouth to reply. “The heat's bad enough. I don't want to have to listen to you complain about it.”

“Both of you, can it,” snapped Bailey, a Boxer and the sole female of the group. “We've got incoming. Look alive.” Sure enough, the other two dogs flicked their ears in the direction of the road and heard the distinctive sound of a truck rumbling in.

The armed Marines leaning up against the guard shack stood up straight and took their positions on either side of the lowered gate. It was a few moments before the truck rolled to a stop, bringing a cloud of sandy dust with it. One Marine walked over to the window, tapping on it to signal the driver to roll it down before asking the standard 'name and business' questions. The other soldier waved Bailey, Achilles, and Sebastian over.

“That's our cue, boys,” Bailey muttered, straightening her vest and goggles before striding over to the back of the truck. Achilles and Sebastian followed in her wake.

“Sir, we're going to have to take a quick look through your vehicle,” the first Marine was telling the driver. “It'll just take a few moments.” He nodded to the second man, who slung his assault rifle around his shoulder on its strap and pulled open the back of the truck.

Almost instantly, the three dogs caught a hint of a few unmistakable odors that stood out from the standard background scents of human skin and sweat, food, and others. The important scents were gunpowder and explosives.

Bailey nodded to herself, glancing at the others to make sure they were all on the same page. Achilles nodded sharply. “Traces of gun powder, and C-4.” He paused to sniff the air again. “Maybe Semtex.”

Sebastian leaned in closer to take another sniff. “There can't be that much of it, though. The scent's too weak.”

Bailey shook her head slowly. “I wouldn't be so sure. In either case, we need a closer look.” She turned to the Marine standing behind the trio and gave him a curt nod. The man returned the gesture almost imperceptibly, then unslung his rifle from his shoulder and moved around to the truck's side to ask the driver to 'please step out of the vehicle'.

Ignoring the man's angry protests, Bailey climbed into the back of truck, shoving aside a crate and a few coils of rope to reach the source of the smell. The driver's shouts reached a crescendo, and he leaned back from his place in the front seat to try and grab at her. With a menacing clack, one of the Marines clicked the safety off of his weapon and chambered a round. In an icy tone, he asked again for the man to exit the vehicle.

This time, he hastily complied, leaving Bailey free to continue her search. She moved quickly, pulling the back seat, tearing aside an old, worn tarp, until she finally found what she was looking for. She tore the black garbage bag open, and the overwhelming smell of explosives poured out and into the air. It only took a few moments before the other two dogs were in the truck with her.

Achilles looked over her shoulder at the bomb, shaking his head slowly. “Well I'll be darned. Look at that thing!”

Sebastian edged in from behind him to get a better look. “That tricky son of a gun. They tried to seal it in and get rid of the scent, didn't they?”

“Yep.” Bailey replaced the tarp. “Well, looks like we've got another one. Let's bag 'im, tag 'im, and get on with our day. Sound like a plan?”

“I don't see-” The sound of shouting from outside interrupted Sebastian's reply. There was a dry scuffling sound, then the soft, rapid taps of shoes on the hot pavement. Bailey didn't even look up from explosive beside her. “Sebastian, Achilles. Apprehend.” In an instant, the two had sprung from the back of the truck. Bailey started counting out the seconds.

At two, she could hear two pairs of footsteps nearing those of the fleeing driver. At four, she heard a bark, a yell, and a satisfying thud. Making sure not to jostle the crude explosive, she climbed out of the truck and walked down the blazing asphalt to where the other two K-9 soldiers had pinned down the fleeing bomber.

“Good work, boys!” she called with a smug grin.

“Private Sebastian, Private Achilles, Lance Corporal Bailey, and Corporal Duke, you are to report to the briefing room immediately. I repeat, Private Sebastian, Private Achilles, Lance Corporal Bailey, and Corporal Duke, you are to report to the briefing room immediately.” The clipped instructions echoed over the base P.A. System.

One of the young Marines walked up beside Bailey. “We'll take care of this dope. You guys had better get going.”

Sebastian and Achilles roughly pulled the cursing, spitting man to his feet and shoved him into the waiting arms of the two Marines. The man struggled impotently against the soldier's vice-like grip, finally collapsing in panting exhaustion and forcing the two Marines to support the full weight of his limp form. Slowly, he raised his head and glared at Achilles with a livid, simmering hate. “American dog,” he hissed. “They will bury you.”

The Doberman's expression remained cold and detached. He returned the man's gaze with a cold stare of his own. “I'd like to see them try.”

Bailey took a long look at the man, then broke away with a disgusted grimace. “Come on, boys.” She marched off down the sizzling black pavement. With one last dirty look at the captured bomber, the other two dogs followed in her footsteps.

----------

“Hello?” The tinny, static-filled voice crackled out of the phone Duke was holding in one paw. The instant he heard it, his tail began to twitch happily back and forth.

“Dad!”

The man on the phone chuckled softly. “Duke? It's good to hear from ya, boy. How've you been?”

“Eh. I can't complain.” He glanced over at the clock on the wall on the other side of the room, noting the time with a sigh. “I don't have very long, so we're going to have to make this quick.”

“Alright. Now, lemme see... Well, Roxie and Ricky say hi, and they wanted to know how were doing. Luke says he's going to send you something he made for you, but he didn't want me to tell you what.” There was a sound of faint laughter. “I guess it's a surprise. What else... well, everyone down at the precinct wishes you luck.”

Duke heard all of this with a faint smile on his face. “Well, tell everyone that I'm feeling just fine, and I'll be back home by the fourth of July.”

“Heh. I'll be sure to-”

“Private Sebastian, Private Achilles, Lance Corporal Bailey, and Corporal Duke, you are to report to the briefing room immediately. I repeat, Private Sebastian, Private Achilles, Lance Corporal Bailey, and Corporal Duke, you are to report to the briefing room immediately.” The booming announcement reverberated off the walls of the small room, drowning out the man's words. Duke let out a heavy sigh. It seemed he had less time that he'd thought. “Sorry, Dad. I have to go.”

“No worries, Duke. Take care of yourself, buddy.”

“I always do.” He moved to hang up the phone, then stopped dead in his tracks. He pulled the phone back up to his ear in an instant. “Love you, Dad.”

“Love ya too, Duke.”

----------

“So the guy was trying to sneak a bomb onto the base, huh?”

Duke was lying on the crest of a sand dune, staring intently through a pair of binoculars at the shadowy village a quarter of a mile away. The night air had picked up into a strong breeze that swept across the rapidly cooling sand. The full moon hung silent in the dark, unclouded sky like a silvery beacon. Everything was bathed in its light, softening shadows and giving the land a faint gray luster.

“Yep. He tried to hide the scent, but we still found the device with no problem.” Bailey was lying prone on the ground to Duke's left. “Last I heard, they to the guy in for questioning, but he ain't talking.”

“Hmm. That's a shame.” Duke handed the binoculars off to Bailey. “He's obviously working for someone. I would be nice if we could find out who.”

“Actually,” Bailey muttered. “We might be having some luck in that area. When they searched the truck, they found a couple of 'secret' letters. Mostly black market weapons sales. The information was at least a month old, but they all had to do with a certain local warlord.”

“Would I be safe in guessing that it's the same guy we're going after?”

Bailey's expression didn't change noticeably, but Duke noticed her grip on the binoculars tighten. “Yep. Usaid Rasshim.”

“Well. That's ominous.”

“Yes. Yes it is.”

Duke pushed himself up and onto his elbows. “On that troubling note, I think it may be time to move in. See anything that looks like it might give us an issue?”

Bailey frowned, looking intently through the binoculars at the darkened village. “Not a thing. The last soldiers left an hour ago, and we haven't seen anything since then.”

“Very well then.” He turned back to see Achilles and Sebastian waiting behind him. “You guys ready?” He got a terse nod in response from each of them. “Then let's go.” Duke got to his feet, brushing the sand off of his vest and drawing the pistol he'd been issued from its holster. He clicked on the radio on his collar.

“Cerberus, this Cerberus Two,” he said in a detached, clipped tone. “The target seems to be clear and we are prepared to move in. How copy, over?”

The response crackled over the speaker just a moment later. “Cerberus to Cerberus Two. You are cleared to move in, over.”

“Copy that, Cerberus. We are Oscar Mike, out.” He clicked off the radio and turned back to the other dogs. “Alright, let's roll.”

----------

Autuor's Nose: Well, it seems I'm off to a slow start again. All I can do at this point is promise you that next week's update will have a bit more action than this one. Also, this is the first time I've actually kept one of my self-imposed deadlines, so woot for me. As for the chapter number, I've decided to consider the first Dogs of War short to be a sort of prequel. This is chapter one of the actual Dogs of War, if that makes sense.

In other news, I wrote a good chunk of what will probably be Chapter 7 or 8 last night. It's entitled 'The Devil's Dance Floor'. Feel free to see what you can make of that. ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Another exciting and enjoyable update, yay! :D :D :D
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

You never disappoint, Coatl_Ruu. One of the best on here.

I can't wait to see what happens to Duke and the others. Any captures planned?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Ahem. I can neither confirm nor deny that your guess is correct.

That answer did, of course, give something away. Oh well. :roll:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

It gave away far more than you think it did, Coatl, far more...
My characters
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

No, I think it gave away about as much as I expected it to. :P
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

I like where this is going, but, for some reason, this reminds me of CoD4 (Call of Duty 4)
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Hmm... Google tells me that the phrase 'Oscar Mike' was used a lot in that game. Could that be it?
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Alrighty then! First chapter of the Dogs Of Wars...

The story is off to a nice start! There's nothing specific I would point out, except that the pacing threw me off for second, at the point where we jump from Duke's phone call to the beginning of the mission. It's probably because although there were jumps before that, we only took smaller jumps in time. Feel free to chalk this up to me nitpicking, because this chapter is otherwise just fine! :P

Also I see what you're doing with the chapter titles, it's a nice little touch! The first thing that comes to mind is the title of a certain Doctor Who episode, 'The Doctor Dances'. Might be because of the stage metaphor, might be the hidden meaning... ;)

p.s.: I'm already thinking about how Crichton and the four dogs form a Five Man Band... I read too much TvTropes! :lol:

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
The Broken Fox wrote:except that the pacing threw me off for second, at the point where we jump from Duke's phone call to the beginning of the mission. It's probably because although there were jumps before that, we only took smaller jumps in time.
Yeah, I noticed that too. But, I already established what the mission was going to entail with the first scene, so I didn't really see the point in reiterating that.
The Broken Fox wrote:Also I see what you're doing with the chapter titles, it's a nice little touch! The first thing that comes to mind is the title of a certain Doctor Who episode, 'The Doctor Dances'.
And... pardon my ignorance, but I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. :? And I've seen that episode. Care to explain?

P.S: There is no such thing as too much TvTropes! :D
Coatl_Ruu

Re: Coatl Ruu's Fanfiction Repository: The Dogs of War

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

So... between driver's ed and biology homework, I haven't even started the next chapter. :? I'll probably have more time for writing on the weekend, but there still might be a delay.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Eh, that's fine. Life tends to get in the way sometimes. We're willing to wait for something this good.
My characters
Bino

Post by Bino »

I finally caught up on my reading and i'm excited to see this all play out!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Well, I have an update. A short one. Three days late. Oh, well. Better late than never, right?

Right?

*ahem* :?

Anyway, here's chapter 2. Well, part of it. It was going to be longer, but I wanted to get something out before that next self-imposed deadline went whizzing by.

----------

Chapter Two – Stumbling Block

The four dogs moved silently across the moon-lit, withered farmland. Duke and Bailey were in front, with Sebastian and Achilles bringing up the rear. In their box-shaped formation, each of the dogs was trying to survey as much of the darkened landscape as possible, keeping an eye, an ear, and a nose out for any possible trouble.

There was nothing. Just the howl of the wind and the dry scent of the Afghan desert. Bailey looked to her left and right in short, suspicious glances. “Seems pretty empty.”

“Yeah...” Sebastian let out a quiet bark of laughter. “That's good, right?” His lopsided grin faded as he looked at the stoic faces of Duke, Bailey, and Achilles. “Right?”

Duke steadfastly ignored Sebastian's question. “Just keep an eye out and stay quiet. Come on.” With a terse gesture, he signaled the others to move. The short, controlled sprint brought them past the farmland and to the outskirts of the small village. A few brick houses stood nearby, their windows turned into gaping black pits by the night. The livestock pens were empty, and not so much as a mouse could be seen in the streets.

Off in the distance, past the furthest of the low buildings, Duke caught the faintest glimpse of a few dark, flitting outlines. Bailey elbowed him gently in the side and pointed off in that direction. “You see that too?” she murmured.

“Yep,” Duke muttered back in the same tone. He moved back behind the shed, out of view of the shadowy figures. “Ferals. They're keeping their distance. As long as we don't bother them, they won't present a problem.”

Bailey frowned, tapping her foot on the ground. “But you'd think we'd be more approachable than a couple of Marines.”

“I'm not sure it matters to them, Bailey,” Duke stated bluntly. “We're with the invading humans, so they'll automatically look at us with suspicion.” He rose up out of the crouch and peered around the corner of the shed's wall. “We need to keep moving.”

Bailey looked around with narrowed eyes. “There's something over by that house that I want to check out.” She pointed out a large, low-set building made of brick. One wall was all but caved in, revealing the inky black interior.

Duke shrugged. “Sure. Just call if you run into trouble, and if you're not back in five minutes, we're going after you.”

“Got it.” The female Boxer flipped a lazy salute, then jogged swiftly off across the open courtyard.

Sebastian watched her go with a raised eyebrow. He turned to Duke. “What, are you just going to let her run off in hostile territory?”

"Bailey can take care of herself. Don't worry about it. If she ran into trouble, we'd know." Duke clicked on his radio and muttered a few words into it. “Corporal Duke of Cerberus Two to Cerberus, requesting permission to speak with Lieutenant Crichton, over.”

It was a moment before the reply came in a burst of static. “Lieutenant Crichton to Duke. What seems to be the problem, over?”

“Not exactly a problem, sir.” Duke hopped over a low stone wall, landing in a crouch on the other side. He signaled the other three to follow him over. “There's no one here. The last couple of Rasshim's soldiers moved out at least an hour ago, and we haven't sighted anyone since then, civvie or otherwise.” He glanced at the other three dogs, who were waiting for him crouched off to the side, and signaled for them to move to a new positing behind a run-down shed a few yards away. When they had complied, he lowered his voice and continued. “I think they knew we were coming, over.”

“Is that your professional opinion, Duke?”

The Shepherd's ears twitched back. “I think it's the only possible explanation, sir.”

Duke could hear Crichton draw a long, deep breath on the other end. “Fine. I don't know how they could have found out, but if they already knew a patrol was coming, you guys wight as well get the cuss outta there.”

Duke nodded to himself. “Roger that, sir. Cerberus out.” The Shepherd clicked off his radio and waved at Sebastian and Achilles. “Hey, you two,” he hissed. “I'm calling Bailey and we're bookin' it outta here, understood?”

The other two dogs nodded sharply, and were about to stand and return to Duke's side when a sharp, metallic click split the night air. Duke's ears folded back, his fur stood on end, and he could feel his blood turn icy cold. “Drop your weapons and stand!” a harsh voice barked out.

With a resigned sigh, Duke clicked his pistol's safety on, dropped it into the dust at his feet, and stood.

The previously empty town square was now all but encircled by nearly thirty men wielding assault rifles. Duke looked left and right frantically, his mind racing to find an explanation. Finally, he realized how they'd done it. The soldiers had been downwind. All they had to do was move into position, and the wind erased their scent and drowned out their footsteps.

Wait... Bailey!

“You two American dogs!” the same voice spat at Sebastian and Achilles. “Stand.” This time, Duke caught a glimpse of the man who had been issuing the orders. He was an dark-skinned man of medium height, wearing the same garb and wielding the same weapon as the soldiers. He stood on the steps of a large brick building, about fifty feet across the open square from Duke. His face, however, Duke recognized immediately. Usaid Rasshim. A local warlord, Lieutenant Crichton said. Seems he's out in force tonight.

“Stand, dog, or my men shoot!”

“Sebastian, do it!” Duke called out, an edge of panic creeping into his voice. He let out a faint sigh of relief when the trembling Shepherd got shakily to his feet and held up his arms in a gesture of surrender. “Just stay calm, guys! I'll...” Duke's voice trailed off. What was he going to do, exactly? He couldn't even follow his own advice.

Two of the soldiers moved up behind Sebastian and Achilles. Two more moved in and roughly grabbed Duke by his wrists. All he could do was give the men a dirty glare and wait for the others to get the same treatment.

Instead, one soldier drove the stock of his rifle into the back of Sebastian's head. Duke surged forward in a sudden fit of rage, but his captors pulled him back, punching him once in the gut for good measure. Doubled over in pain, he watched Sebastian crumple to the ground and saw two more take Achilles down from behind. Each blow brought his heart sinking further into the pit of his stomach.

Suddenly, Bailey exploded out of the doorway of the brick building, taking Rasshim from his place on the steps with a flying tackle that brought them both slamming down into the dirt. When the dust cleared, the female Boxer was straddling the man's back, grinding his face into the dirt with one hand and pressing a pistol into the base of his neck with the other.

“Now,” she hissed. “I want you to tell your men to lower their weapons and let my comrades and I leave unharmed. Or...” She jabbed him harder with the gun's barrel. “I will personally paint the road with the inside of your head.” Bailey grabbed Rasshim by his long hair and pulled his head up so she could look him in the eye. Her expression was one of cold malice. “Understood?”

Duke felt a smug grin slowly spreading across his face. Maybe they could pull this off after all. The soldiers had loosened their grip on him, and were looking hesitantly to their leader.

Finally, Rasshim caved. “Fine,” he spat. “Release them.”

With reluctance, the two soldiers let go of Duke's wrists. He immediately dashed over to where Sebastian and Achilles were lying in a heap on the ground.

Bailey got up off of Rasshim, but kept her gun trained squarely on the back of his head. “Good. Duke, you got Sebastian and Achilles?”

“Yep. They're out cold, but I think they'll wake up soon.” He grabbed them both by their arms and hoisted them up with a grunt.

“Good.” She nodded in cold satisfaction, then shoved the battered man in front of her forward with the barrel of her pistol. “You. Rasshim. Start walking. And remember... if my friends are harmed, there won't be enough left of you for them to identify the body.”

Duke pulled the two unconscious dogs up and slung their arms across his shoulders before cautiously following after Bailey.
Last edited by Coatl_Ruu on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

And of course the girl has to be the one to rescue her comrades... :lol:

Great update as always, Coatl. I can't wait for the next one.
My characters
Bino

Post by Bino »

Bailey rocks!!!! The mext update is gonna be awesome!!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Consarnit Sebastian, why did you have to open your big mouth!? You might as well have said 'What could possibly go wrong?'. :roll:

Nice one Coatl_Ruu! I have a feeling it's just starting to get interesting, and we'll see plenty of action and intrigue in the upcoming chapters. Well written as usual, I really have nothing to point out in that regard. Also I think Bailey is shaping up to be The Lancer in that certain band... ;)

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Bino wrote:Bailey rocks!!!! The mext update is gonna be awesome!!
copper wrote:And of course the girl has to be the one to rescue her comrades... :lol:
Bailey is like a canine Ripley! :D
The Broken Fox wrote:Also I think Bailey is shaping up to be The Lancer in that certain band... ;)
Lesse... Duke is The Hero, Bailey is The Lancer, Achilles is The Big Guy, and I guess Lieutenant Crichton could be The Smart Guy. Which does, of course, make Sebastian The Chick. :P

Stay tuned for the thrilling continuation... once I've worked my way past my bio homework, newspaper article, and trigonometry. *head-desk*
Bino

Post by Bino »

I don't understand this reference....

I also can help you with bio and trig if you want, post it in the homework thread!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Ripley thing was a reference to the movie Alien, and the second one was a TvTropes thing.

And the homework isn't particularly difficult. Just tedious. Thanks for the offer, though! :D