Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
The Winds of Change 

Post The Winds of Change
When I first joined, I wanted to write a fanfic about Kevin because I had a massive crush on him and I still do. The only problem was that I worried I wouldn't be able to do it all by myself. So I recruited somebody to help me because I believed that he knew the characters well enough to help me and he does. The creator of The Not-So Dynamic Duo, its dryideabat. It was only very recently that we were able to get together and start the first chapter. So I hope you enjoy it. Anyway, the comic is about Kevin and Sasha growing apart and eventually breaking up, with Sasha eventually drifting back into Fox's orbit, and a whole new character causing Kevin to fall head over heels in love from the first meeting. Other characters will be present also, but for now, this first chapter focuses on Kevin and Sasha with appearances from Ralph, Fido and Spo. Without any further ado, here's the first chapter.

=========================================================================================

It was a late spring afternoon in Babylon Gardens. The sun was shining brightly through the budding treetops on the horizon. Heavy rain had fallen the night before, leaving behind puddles that still had not fully evaporated on the roadsides. The smell of freshly-cut grass and wet wood wafted in the gentle breeze. Quaint little gardens of flowers adorned the neighborhood with a myriad of vibrant colors.

Currently, Kevin and Sasha were contentedly walking side-by-side on their way to the movie theater.

“Trust me, you’re gonna love this,” said Kevin.

“I guess so,” Sasha murmured, brushing her hair to the side. “I don’t really watch action movies, though daddy sometimes leaves them on at night. What’s this one called again?”

“A Pounce of Prevention,” Kevin replied. His pace quickened slightly with his growing excitement. “Yeah, this movie promises to deliver the two things missing in movies nowadays: tackling and cops with all the one-liners. In fact, I know one of the guys in the movie... Actually, I heard about him through one of the guys at the academy, whose owner’s brother-in-law was close friends with his cousin’s pet’s old roommate. Still, between him and that guy from The Shield, this is gonna be epic; the movie that I’ve been waiting for to hit the big screen.”

Sasha hesitated for a moment and smiled. “Well, if you say it should be good, then I too can hardly wait to see it. I’ll enjoy anything, so long as I’m with you.” The couple nuzzled affectionately as the sun set.

The movie theater was bustling with swarms of families, friends, and lovers of all ages. The line for tickets to A Pounce of Prevention alone extended halfway across the lobby.

While waiting on line, something caught Sasha’s attention. “So they did turn that into a movie!” she exclaimed. She stepped out of line to get a closer look. It was a poster for another movie playing for just one night.

Kevin gawked at the poster with a perplexed look on his face. “Canine Cibble?” he asked. His attention was split between Sasha and the dwindling number of people ahead of him. “What’s so special about that super-fattening goo and why would they turn it into a movie?”

Sasha brushed her hair aside and explained. “A while back, when I did that commercial for Canine Cibble, I wrote a movie script about a love triangle behind the scenes.” She paused for a moment as Kevin’s eyes narrowed. “Don’t worry; it was completely made-up, not based on anything I actually did. Anyway, Rock tried to sell the idea to a few studios, but never heard back from them. I just assumed that it wasn’t that good, but I guess Fox Studios saw its potential... Hmm... I wonder who they casted for my role.”

Kevin’s feet were burning underneath him as his turn approached. However, he saw how much this other movie really meant to Sasha; how her tail wagged as she stared at that poster. Furthermore, he was a bit curious as to what kind of story she could have written. So he turned to her with a smile and asked, “Alright, I’m sold; let’s go see Canine Cibble instead.”

“Really?” she shrieked with joy. “Oh, thank you, Kevie-bon!”
Kevin crawled under the felt rope and the two of them held each close as they walked to the line for Canine Cibble.

“I can’t believe that the script that I threw together is gonna be played out on screen! I hoped that they picked good actors that can emote well!” Sasha screamed in pure joy.

Kevin put his arm around her shoulder. “I’m just impressed that you got an idea out on the big screen," Kevin replied. "The folks in Hollywood know a good story when they see one."

Sasha continues to gush about the screenplay that she had written. “Well I sure hope so. Its gonna be heads above that other movie that you wanted to see. This is gonna be the best movie ever!"

Kevin hesitated for a moment before answering with a smile. "Yeah, I'm sure it will be the movie of the year, full of action."

Sasha giggled at her boyfriend’s apparent cluelessness. “Oh no, this movie doesn’t have any action in it.” Sasha said as she happily looked up to Kevin as she held his hand. “Its all about the romance! A good ol’ fashioned mushy slow-build romance! Isn’t that great!” Sasha began jumping up and down while Kevin smiled nervously at her.

"Oh cool. I mean, I don't really watch those kinds of flicks, but I'll try anything once. Yeah, I'm totally pumped." Kevin said as some small drops of sweat ran down the back of his head. As the line begins to creep closer to the theater, Sasha looks at all of the posters of her movie and went over to one.

She proceeded to let out a girl scream. “Oh my Gosh! This is unbelievable! I didn’t think he could manage it!” Sasha said, referring to the dog actor that Rock managed to get in the lead.

Kevin wasn’t paying attention, as he was looking over at a poster of A Pounce of Prevention. "Sorry, who could manage what?" He asked when he saw Sasha freaking out over the poster.

“They got Dakota Wixted to play the role of the lead male! He is like, the best canine actor around! This is so amazing! I don’t think I can contain it!” Sasha begins to hyperventilate.

Kevin peered carefully at the poster. His jaw clenched slightly as he studied the lead male's average lanky build. "Not an ounce of muscle" he thought to himself. He looked back at Sasha and smiled. "I'm happy they got the right guy to bring your story to life." Kevin said as he was silently thankful that the Terrier wasn’t as big as he was and also silently wishing he could be watching his movie.

“Hey Kevin! Over here!” Just then, Kevin heard a familiar voice call his name. It was Fido. He was waiting on the line to see A Pounce of Prevention with Ralph who showed a stoic face as he looked over at the couple. Spo the mouse, Fido’s companion was in his hair and really not paying much attention to either dog in the opposite line.

The off-duty cops were currently directly across from each other in the lines as they waited for it to shorten so that they would be able to enter the respective theaters. Ralph had given Kevin a curious look. "What are you doing over there? I thought you of all would be dying to see this one." Ralph asked.

Kevin turned to face his superior. "Sasha and I are on line to see Canine Cibble" Kevin replied. "She wrote the script for it."

Fido's eyes widened with surprise. "You're kidding, that's incredible. I never knew you were a writer, Sasha."

Sasha smiled as she looked over at her former crush. “Oh well you know, its nothing really. I just came up with it on the fly. I was a bit worried it was gonna fly away from me though! Good thoughts just never seem to stay put.” Sasha said, oblivious to the fact that what he had just said didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Spo rolled his eyes from the spot on Fido’s head. "Yep, there's the mindset of a real screenwriter," Spo mumbled from behind Fido's ear. Fido wanted to say something but couldn’t with Sasha right there next to him. Sasha, oblivious to everything, including her boyfriend’s mounting discomfort, gave a smile at the two cops.

“Why don’t you guys ditch that boring Pounce of whatever and come see my movie? I guarantee you that this movie is a lot more put together than that movie!” Sasha said cheerfully, not noticing Kevin grimacing at her forgetting the name.

The German Shepard cleared his throat. “Oh, we’d like to, but I have asked Fido here to observe this as a sort of training exercise; taking notes of what to do and what not to do in such situations." Ralph said carefully as Fido tried to avoid contact with his younger brother’s ex-girlfriend.

"That's our story and we're sticking with it," Spo sneered. With a slight of paw, Fido crammed a bar of chocolate in Spo's mouth without anyone noticing.

Sasha looked up, a bit confused although it was hard to tell since she didn’t really have many expressions most of the time. “Kevie-Bon, did you know that they were going to take notes on all of this? I had no idea that you could even take notes in a movie theater. If that’s the case we should totally take notes on Canine Cibble! That way I can write for its sequel!” Sasha rambled.

Kevin shuddered inward. "That sounds like an awesome idea," Kevin said. "But I left all my crayons and paper at the station.” Fido pinched the upper bridge of his nose. "I meant take notes in a figurative sense.” The line began to move. "Hey Fido, the line's moving, let's go," Ralph ordered. "Alright, we gotta go, see you after the movie" Fido said.

Sasha and Kevin both waved goodbye as the line to Canine Cibble moved up faster. Kevin seemed to be waving half-heartedly, but Sasha didn’t notice. “Our line is moving also. Hey Kevin, would you mind if you get us some popcorn? I always liked eating it during movies.” she asked innocently.

"Sure thing. I’ll get us a jumbo size. The doc still says I should eat a bit more." Although Kevin made a mental note in his mind to lift more weights to work off the popcorn he would be eating.

The line moved again and the two were almost into the theater. Voices could be heard from where the two was standing, as the previews hadn’t started yet. Kevin looked at Sasha and gave a small smile. Tonight was gonna be a LONG night for him.
=========================================================================================

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Post Re: The Winds of Change
Anybody have any comments?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Great job, you two!

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you for the compliment! I hope I can get a few more posters.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:04 am
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!

Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

Avatar drawn by the incredible Aura.

Image Image Image

Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:00 am

i likey

Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks everyone. The praise should mostly go to Amazee Dayzee for having the ambition to make this idea work. I wouldn't have ever imagined Sasha and Kevin separating, but we carefully thought of elegant ways for this to happen, while eventually introducing a new face... and finally throwing poor Fox a bone (after all, he was the reason those two got together). Stay tuned for more drama.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:49 am

To be honest, I already decided I liked Kevin when I saw him so I wanted a character with him in fanfic form. As for Kevin and Sasha being perfect, I think its their personalities, but that doesn't always mean you are compatible. Sasha and Fox have different personalities and they actually seem like a better fit. It was Fox that helped Sasha to get over her depression.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:04 am

I don't usually read fan-fics.

I read this one.

I liked it.

Thumby thumb up and whatnot.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks! That is very nice of you to read it! I didn't think I could be that good of a writer at first.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 pm

And here is chapter 2.
Kevin slowly walked up to the snack stand with a downcast expression on his face. By now, most of the people had already grabbed what they wanted and grabbed their seats in the theater to watch the previews. "I'll have one extra large popcorn... hold the butter," he ordered to the vendor.

The vendor looked down at him and smiled. “OK. That I can do.” the man said as he went over to the machine. “You seem a bit down."

"Well, let's just say that I had a sudden change of plans," Kevin sighed. "For weeks I waited for A Pounce of Prevention to come out, but now there's this other movie my girl wants to see. Canine Cibble. I never even saw any trailers for it, but now we're going to see that instead." Kevin said with a forlorn look. The vendor took note of this.

“I assume that you are going only to make your girl happy and that she is dragging you against your will?” He hazarded a guess.

Kevin looked back up at him, looking at the popcorn and the butter and trying to calculate how much exercise he would have to work off the excess. "Sort of... though I am a bit curious to see it, for she actually wrote the script for it... And of all things it is a love story."

The vendor went to the back to scoop up some popcorn. “You don’t look like the type that is into a mushy love story."

Kevin nodded his head yes. "Not really. But, I guess it's all about compromise. You know? Put your girl's wants before yours and dare yourself to try new things... BUT COME ON! A POUNCE OF PREVENTION!! The movie has the two things I live for: pouncing and prevention, which I'm also all for, being in law enforcement."

The vendor nearly dropped the popcorn upon hearing Kevin shout out loud near him. “You do realize that this is a theater right and you shouldn’t be shouting out here?” the vendor deadpanned.

As Kevin chuckled nervously, two new people made their way across the lobby. One was a short Corgi and the other was a large Husky and they both sported matching wedding rings. As soon as the corgi recognized the big Doberman, a look of fear speak across his face. "Oh no, it's that guy," the Corgi, named King whispered to the Husky, named Bailey, remembering his arrest. "Let's just skip the snacks and go to the movie. We don't want to miss the previews."”
Bailey smiled at her husband and held his hand. “I know that he seems to be a bit overzealous, but he really is a nice guy at heart."

King sighed but still looked warily at the policeman who gave him a vicious tackle when arresting him in his human form for being a part of the kidnapping of Fox, Bailey’s cousin when he was a human named Joel, at least before a malevolent superpower being named Pete turned him into a dog not to punish him, but more to use him in his cosmic DnD game with his sister. He was glad that he never had to see them again, but Kevin just kept on bringing back memories of his arrest. “Okay," King mumbled. The two walked over to Kevin, who was currently resting his head on the counter while the vendor looked on in confusion. "Hey a-... what's going on pal...?" asked King who gave a nervous little laugh as he backed up a bit.

"Oh, it's nothing,” Kevin replied, composing himself. ”I was just venting a little. I'm here with Sasha to see Canine Cibble. What about you guys?" He asked, trying to push his feelings of dread about seeing said movie out of his mind.

“We’re here to see that movie also! This is such a nice coincidence! Its also nice that you wanted to see the movie with her.” Bailey gushed. Kevin looked away, feeling very flustered that someone from Babylon Gardens was actually seeing a glorified soap opera on the big screen.

"Yeah, a nice coincidence," Kevin parroted. "I originally wanted to see A Pounce of Prevention, but hey, who could resist.” Kevin asked, feeling a part of him dying inside for saying outlaid that he preferred to see Canine Cibble to A Pounce of Prevention.

"At least you only have to wait a couple of months for it to come out on DVD," King added. "Yeah that's true," Kevin nodded. "Oh, by the way Bailey, you know you're cousin's starting his training soon, right?"

Bailey nodded her head fervently, beaming with pride that her cousin was gonna become a cop. “Yeah! I was hoping that you would be able to help him along in that regards. I’m sure Fox would really appreciate it.” Bailey said happily, as he held King’s hand and looked down to him.

"I'll do my best, but the K-9 academy ain't easy. We look for only the best of the best, demanding 110 percent from our officers." Kevin said, putting his fist to his strong, muscular chest.

“He’s good with the test taking aspect of it, but despite the fact that he was able to beat up Bino a few times, he isn’t all that strong.” Sasha said as King held her closely

"Well, I have faith in him," King assured her. "What he lacks in physical strength, he more than makes up for in loyalty and determination." King said, thinking about all the times his friend had came through for him.

“You’re right. After everything that happened in Australia, I have no doubt that he is capable of handling himself. He definitely is ready.” Bailey said with a smile as she gave King a kiss on his head, remembering the whole catastrophe when Pete took her off to Australia in her husband’s place to play for him in a stupid game along with Fido’s girlfriend, Sabrina D’Angelo and her pet sister, Tarot. If it wasn’t for King, she probably still would have been playing the idiotic game. Both she, King and her cousin tried to push it to the back of their minds, but each of them still had nightmares about that, despite the fact that the two celestial beings had their powers stripped from them.

"Australia?" Kevin asked. He had never been out of the state before, but he knew that they would be some places that interested him that he wanted to see.

"It's a long story" King answered, not wanting to talk about the topic now or ever "Anyway, I think the movie's about to start."

King looked over to Bailey and then over towards the entrance doors. "Should we try to convince Fox to come in again, or should we let him cool off some more?" King asked Bailey.

“I think it would be a good idea to let him be alone for a while.” Bailey looked over to the doors were and sighed. “Its not fun being stood up."

When Kevin heard that his future student was stood up on a date, he gave both King and Bailey a sympathetic look. “Oh, poor guy" Kevin said sympathetically. "I guess I'll ease-off on the hazing process on his first day... at least a little. Speaking of which, I think my girl is wondering where I'm at."

Bailey looked up at Kevin and nodded. “That would be a good idea. Thanks Kevin. And I guess we will see you around.” Bailey said as she and King headed towards the theater as Kevin was given his popcorn from the vendor. “Four ninety-nine please.” the vendor said.

Kevin’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. ”Four hundred ninety-nine dollars?!" Kevin exclaimed. He felt his heart racing as though he had been running on he treadmill for an hour.

The vendor game Kevin a condescending look. “No, I mean four dollars and ninety-nine cents.” The vendor sighed. “Honestly do you think I can afford to sell my popcorn at those prices?"

"Oh... here's a five, keep the change." Kevin said, as he handed the money over, blushing a bit. He then proceeded back to the theater and sat by his patiently awaiting girlfriend just as the previews ended. He put his arm around her and shoveled a paw full of popcorn into his mouth. Now he just had to try to get through the night without running off having a nervous breakdown.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Wow! I'm liking this a lot! Keep it up Amazee and Dryideabat! This is looking really good so far. :D

FICCIE! :D

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:59 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for your praise! Now if we can only get more people posting their comments.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]