Housepets: A 'Simple' Date

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

KizerZin

Re: Housepets: A 'Simple' Date

Post by KizerZin »

the only time I try to be nice and everyone takes a bite out of me...

I curse you all to DANCE until you drop like a LOLLYPOP!

wait... what?

*Pulls out my Script*

Sasha Tricked me… she said this was scary… there goes $50
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Guess what guys! I'm not going to be late like I thought I was! Update within the hour, unless I go with my parents to the movies, in which case it might be tomorrow for some of you. :mrgreen:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Tha Housedog wrote:Guess what guys! I'm not going to be late like I thought I was! Update within the hour, unless I go with my parents to the movies, in which case it might be tomorrow for some of you. :mrgreen:

That's the spirit! :)
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Tha Housedog wrote:Guess what guys! I'm not going to be late like I thought I was! Update within the hour, unless I go with my parents to the movies, in which case it might be tomorrow for some of you. :mrgreen:
Thank you for not ending this fanfic just because teh brawler's robot was broken by valerio. I am waitng for the update with bated breath. This is such a good story, and I am excited for the update.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Well, Mr. Bait-Breath, here you go! :lol:
Housepets: A ‘Simple’ Date
Chapter 7
Written by Tha Housedog, reviewed by lightwolf21.
--------------------------

Inside Grape and Peanut’s shared room, clicking and whirring sounds could be heard. The computer inside couldn’t exactly be classified as “new”, but it worked. After seven minutes, by Peanut’s count, the computer finally had booted up. Peanut logged in and waited a few more minutes as the computer loaded. After the wait had ended, Peanut clicked open a web browser and typed “www.spotsuperdogcomic.com” into the address bar. Peanut crossed his fingers as the painfully long loading time commenced. Please don’t be taken, please don’t be taken, please don’t be taken,… he thought, as the page loaded. It wasn’t taken!

Peanut quickly e-mailed the domain holder so that he could rent the page. The deal went through quickly, and he could now control his very first webpage! Peanut, without stopping to enjoy what he had done so far, got to work scanning his Spot (Superdog) comics. After he had scanned ten, he returned to the computer and pulled up one of them. He loaded the link to it on his computer into the upload bar and moved the mouse over the submit button…and just froze. The anticipation had finally caught up to him. Again, what if nobody liked them? He couldn’t bear the thought of his comics being hated…

Peanut, honey. Peanut fell out of his chair. Where did that come from? he thought. Peanut, honey, it’s me, Tarot! he heard. “Tarot? Where are you? I don’t see you…I didn’t know you could speak telepathically! That’s really cool!” His tail started to wag, ever-so-slightly.

Thank you, honey! But I have contacted you to tell you that what you are doing is the right choice. If everything goes right, the date with Grape will go well. And it’s the same for your Spot (Superdog) comics. If you listen to the advice that Joey and Squeak have given you and hit Submit right now, you will not regret your decision. I wish you luck on your date, and I hope all goes well for your comic, too. Oh, I have a customer! Gotta go! Have a lovely day, sweetie! Peanut smiled. She was right, what did he have to worry about?

Alright, Grape, Joey, Squeak, Tarot…I trust all of you, he thought. Peanut clicked the mouse and watched as his first comic ever was now up for everyone on the internet to see. He crossed his fingers and sat there in his chair, waiting, hoping to get at least one person who would like his comic…

----------------------------

Grape was sitting in the living room, her feet hanging off of the couch, her face buried in her hands. She was mildly uncomfortable with the date, to tell the truth. I don’t know about this… What if we’re seen? What if we are shunned because we look like we’re together? But I couldn’t cancel the date…I couldn’t do that to poor Peanut… Her thoughts were interrupted by someone knocking on the front door. She got up to go answer it. Who now? she thought.

Grape opened the door, and it was Maxwell who was standing in the doorway. Oh, Maxwell, you have the worst timing ever, she thought, putting on a smile. “Hey, Maxie!” she said, as cheerfully as she could. He held out a bouquet of flowers similar to the ones Peanut gave her. “Purple flowers for my purple flower,” he said, with a grin on his face. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Grape!”

Okay, is there some kind of seminar that all of the men are going to for this? Grape facepalmed on the inside, keeping her smile purely superficial. “Wow, thanks, Maxie! Happy Valentine’s Day to you, too!” She kissed him on the cheek and took the flowers, then disappeared into the house.

Oh no, oh no, oh no! What if Max asks me out on a date, too!? If I say no, he might get suspicious, and then he would be the one to ruin Peanut and I! I have to get him out of here somehow, without him getting suspicious! She put the flowers in a vase and filled it with water. She splashed her face with some water as well, hoping it would clear her mind and help her think clearly. She could only come up with one way to get out of a date with Maxwell: feign illness.

She appeared in the doorway again. Maxwell was still standing there; he hadn’t moved. “I put the flowers in a vase,” she said, her false smile back, hoping that he would believe it was real. He responded, “Um, Grape, something about you looks different. Weren’t your eyelashes out just a minute ago?”

“No, they weren’t,” she responded. Going to have to resort to lying, she told herself.

Maxwell gave her a quizzical look. “Okay…” His face changed to his usual grin. “Anyway, since it’s Valentine’s Day and all, how about a date?”

Grape screamed on the inside. She coughed. This was surprising to her; the cough was real. Okay, I might not have to fake it, after all… she thought. “I’m sorry, Maxie, I can’t…I just…I’m feeling sick…” She coughed again. “And it’s kind of cold outside, I-I really don’t want to get worse. Can we do it tomorrow? I’m really sorry, Maxie…” She said, with a frown.

Maxwell nodded, a concerned look on his face. “Alright, Grape, I hope you get to feeling better soon,” he said. “I’ll call you later to check up on you, okay?” He took her hand, kissed it, and walked off with a dejected look on his face.

Grape, now panged with guilt, waved goodbye to Maxwell. She sighed. This is the worst Valentine’s Day ever…and it’s not even sunset yet… she thought, as she walked back inside the house and shut the door.
Next Chapter is here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 43#p145943
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yay! Max and Tarot make their appearance. I was wondering when that would happen. With the date on, an idea ruined, and Peanut putting his comic online, all is set for the penultimate (hopefully) Grapenut encounter. Oh, and you get brownie points for the awkwardness with Max and Grape.
My characters
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

I was told to comment here by T.H. so here it is. X3

...having said that, I do have some thoughts:

I really enjoyed the interaction with Maxwell and Grape, and seeing her have second thoughts, like in my half of the story. XD (continuity nod, FTW)

Peanut finally going ahead with Grape's suggestion from the original comic in publishing his comics and overcoming his fear of people hating his comics was a great nod to the comic and much needed character development.

Grape's loyalty to hold up her bargain with Peanut, rather than going on a date with Maxwell was a great heart-warmer. d'awww

Grape's ability to conjure up such realistic coughs on a whim seems to be a neat trick. ;D
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I LOVE IT! There is so much that can go wrong! The danger is so… amazing~

Good work Housedog~ you Truly have me sharpening my blades for the next update…

HA HA HAAaaaa!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

lightwolf21 wrote: Peanut finally going ahead with Grape's suggestion from the original comic in publishing his comics and overcoming his fear of people hating his comics
Sadly, I am afriad of people hating my art, so if I do draw anything, I don't post it. I really need to get over it.

(Which would be in a million years)
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Why Fear hate? I say embrace it! Take what they hate and make it a part of you… you can only get stronger after you learn what your weaknesses are...
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

KizerZin wrote:Why Fear hate? I say embrace it! Take what they hate and make it a part of you… you can only get stronger after you learn what your weaknesses are...
Well, I agree with the last part there...Elliot, you know that nobody worth listening to is going to make fun of you for your art.
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Private Elliot wrote:
lightwolf21 wrote: Peanut finally going ahead with Grape's suggestion from the original comic in publishing his comics and overcoming his fear of people hating his comics
Sadly, I am afriad of people hating my art, so if I do draw anything, I don't post it. I really need to get over it.

(Which would be in a million years)
You have piqued my interest. I now want to see this art. Your dilemma is much like mine with writing. Be braver than me, and maybe I can try to write one of my wild mass guesses for once.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

There is so much daaawness in this update.
Bel lavoro, TH! And really good girl, Grape, for holding to your first engagement. :D
Karl

Post by Karl »

So Peanut finally decided to put his comic on internet. I wonder what reviews he will get :)
I'm a bookworm!
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Awesome update, again!
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

Return of the purple flower comment! YES! And Peanut is on the internet hooray!!!!! People better not be mean!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

This one's a long one! :lol:
Chapter 8
Written by Tha Housedog, reviewed by lightwolf21.

Being unable to wait for his Spot (Superdog) comics to be viewed any longer, Peanut left his and Grape’s shared room. He walked into the living room and sat on the couch. He sighed. Maybe everyone does hate it, he thought. “I can’t let that bring me down! I have a date with the cat I love the most! What do I have to be depressed about?!”

The phone rang. Peanut, with more vigor than he had expected, answered, “Hello!”

“Whoa!” On the other end of the receiver, Joey covered his ears in pain. “Hey, Peanut, you must be very excited. Glad to hear it. I have the date all set up. It’s in one hour, alright? It’s the perfect time to watch the sunset with Grape. But before you head over there, I need for you to drop by my doghouse, as I have to tell you something before you go scampering off with Grape.”

“Cool! Can I bring Grape along, too?” Peanut answered, hoping that it would be ‘yes’.

“Of course you can! Squeak has something to pass on to her, as well. Alright, since I know you haven’t finished packing yet…” Peanut gripped the phone tighter. How did he know? He thought. “Because I know you well, Peanut. Anyway, finish packing some food for the date and bring Grape. We’ll be waiting. Talk to you when you get here. Bye.”

“Yeah, bye.” Peanut echoed back. CLICK

Peanut set off into the kitchen. He brought out a basket from one of the cupboards and stuffed the dog treats, some tuna fish sandwiches, and some water bottles into the basket. “There! All packed!”

“There! All done!” yelled Grape as she finished fixing her eyelashes for the second time today. She sprayed just a tiny bit of perfume on herself and stepped outside of the bathroom door just as she heard, “GRAAAAA- Oh, there you are! C’mon, we have someone to meet!”

“Who is it now?” Grape asked, suddenly wanting to just lie down and sleep the day away.

“Well, it’s Joey, but still… Come on! He and Squeak have something to talk to both of us about!” Peanut started to hop around a bit. He knew that the faster he got Grape moving, the longer they would have for their date.

Grape looked up and sighed. “Alright, Peanut, if it’ll make you happy, I’ll go.”

“Alright!” Peanut grabbed their scarves and gave Grape hers as she walked to him. He opened the front door and stepped aside. “Ladies first,” he said, bowing. Grape rolled her eyes and walked out the door. Peanut followed.

The walk to Joey’s doghouse was pure awkwardness. Both Peanut and Grape contemplated asking the other to hold their paw, but both thought that the other would say no. Every time one of them would almost work up the courage to ask, they would look at the other and blush, and the courage would dissipate. They spent most of the walk watching for other cats and dogs, especially Maxwell or Bino. Those two would gladly throw a ‘cat-lover’ or ‘dog-lover’ to the wolves for a good laugh.

Eventually, they ended up at Joey’s doghouse. Peanut knocked on the roof of the doghouse and out came Joey, with Squeak riding on his shoulder. “Ah! You’re here! Good!” Joey said. “Alright, now, Grape, Squeak told me that she wants to have girl talk, so you two go in the doghouse and have a nice little chat. Peanut, come with me.” Squeak hopped off of Joey’s shoulder and into the snow, which was almost up to her neck, leaping out of craters she made while making her way into the doghouse.

Grape and Peanut, in unison, uttered “Okay” and went their separate ways.

Grape sat patiently as Squeak began to drone on. Grape hadn’t eaten anything yet, so it was all she could do to restrain herself from eating Squeak. We don’t eat friends, we don’t eat friends, we don’t eat friends…
Squeak slapped her. “Now, Grape, listen to me! I bet you’re famished right now, but you need to listen! Girl, what I’m trying to tell you is important for your date, so listen up!”

Grape snapped to attention from the slap. She started to listen intently.

“Alright, so the first thing you need to know about boys is…”

Peanut followed Joey around to the back of the house. Joey stopped in the middle of the backyard. “Peanut, here’s how it is: I have arranged for Fiddler and Keys to play at your date. Nothing fancy, just some background music, so as not to attract attention. They’re already set up…” Joey pulled out a map from under the deck. ”…Here.” He pointed to a spot on the map marked with an X. “That spot is on the outskirts of Babylon Gardens and is pretty secluded, so you two should be safe to have your date there.”

Peanut was overflowing with joy. He hugged Joey out of sheer glee. “Thanks so much, Joey! I knew you were the right dog to ask!”

Joey beamed. “No problem. Now, here’s some advice: what you need to know most about girls is…”

After receiving their respective pep talks, Grape and Peanut reunited. Everything’s going perfectly! This will be a simple date, thought Peanut. “Grape, are you ready? I know the perfect spot for the date! C’mon!”

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be,” she responded. So they set off toward the edge of Babylon Gardens, but this time, the walk there was less awkward. With his confidence boosted from Joey’s pep talk and from all of his plans going well so far, Peanut had finally worked up the courage to ask, “Grape? Do you…want to…hold…paws?” She smiled and took his paw in hers.

They didn’t notice the ocean-blue eyes of the black cat watching their every move from one of the nearby treetops…
Next chapter is here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 93#p148193
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I love this fanfic, epic update. :)
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Ok, I'm loving this! Espicially at the holding paws and the ending!I'm looking forward to how this one proceeds!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

@The ending sentence

OH SNAP!
NykVerien

Post by NykVerien »

Private Elliot wrote:@The ending sentence

OH SNAP!
Agreed! Great update TH!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

and so it REALLY begins… I can’t wait to see how badly this will go~

"Love will be Rewarded with Awkward Situations"
scruffer

Post by scruffer »

y'all are doing a great job on this! keep up the great work!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Thank y'all! And welcome, Scruffer! :mrgreen:
ChristopherJackal

Uh oh, drama may be a comin! Also I love how Squeak a mouse is giving advice to Grape a cat!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

ChristopherJackal wrote:Uh oh, drama may be a comin! Also I love how Squeak a mouse is giving advice to Grape a cat!
:? Awk-waaaaard.
Also:
valerio

Post by valerio »

KizerZin wrote:and so it REALLY begins… I can’t wait to see how badly this will go~

"Love will be Rewarded with Awkward Situations"
Les Ouchies!
THIS time, I am gonna agree on KZ (Not on the 'I can't wait' part!)...but things are gonna go so ba-aad... :o
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

lightwolf21 wrote:
ChristopherJackal wrote:Uh oh, drama may be a comin! Also I love how Squeak a mouse is giving advice to Grape a cat!
:? Awk-waaaaard.

What he said.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Here's the deal, everyone. I can't write Saturday's update. *Collective groan*

Don't worry, I've arranged for someone else to write Chapter 9! if that person wants to let you know ahead of time who he is, he has my permission! :mrgreen: Or we can keep it a secret until Saturday. ;)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Tha Housedog wrote:Here's the deal, everyone. I can't write Saturday's update. *Collective groan*

Don't worry, I've arranged for someone else to write Chapter 9! if that person wants to let you know ahead of time who he is, he has my permission! :mrgreen: Or we can keep it a secret until Saturday. ;)
Update is good :) Especially the part "First thing you need to know about..."

And hmm... don't tell who it is. I like suprises :)
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, this is getting interesting, isn't it? Birds of a feather...
Anyway, I can't wait to see where this goes. Awesome update as always, Housedog.
My characters
ChristopherJackal

Oh special guest writter? Sounds fun!

My guess is it's Karlos through my excelent deduction of....honestly I got nothing, just a random shot in the dark! Kinda like my words now! IN THE DARK! hehehe bad joke!

Also, don't say! Surprises are fun!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Surprise everyone! It's me, lightwolf21...
T.H. was busy with family visits and couldn't make the time to write it, but...rather than making everyone wait...he's keeping to his schedule with hiring asking me to help out as a guest writer. Please enjoy this chapter, on both our behalves. X3

----------

Chapter 9
Written by lightwolf21, reviewed by Tha Housedog.

Peanut and Grape continued walking towards their destination. The feeling of holding Grape’s hand in his had lifted the dog’s spirits higher than even he could have imagined. He was really looking forward to the date now…Nothing could possibly go wrong. The universe seemed to be proving him right, when Grape shivered a little and pulled herself closer to her best friend.

The lavender cat smiled. She loved Peanut like a brother…but over the last few months she’d started liking him…more than a cat should like a dog, and she was afraid. The neighborhood will never accept it… I love Maxie… Cats and dogs don’t belong together…, were just a sample of the overwhelming, conflicting emotions and thoughts she’d had to endure, but for now she was content…being here, beside Peanut. She turned her head to the side and stifled a cough, before returning it close to her companion.

Peanut couldn’t complain. At this point, he didn’t care whether or not he got a few bad reviews on his newly released comics…Won’t Grape be surprised, the brown dog thought to himself, smiling. He’d eventually tell her the news. After all, she was the one that had been encouraging him to release his Spot (the Superdog) comics, and now Peanut had done it…and online! But right now, he was focused on the upcoming date as they walked through Babylon Gardens. He reached over her shoulder and fixed Grape’s scarf. The weather was a bit chilly, and as a result, the streets were nearly empty, so the couple had little to worry about in terms of encounters.

---

Unbeknownst to the couple, Maxwell was watching them…in disbelief. He wasn’t sure if what he was seeing looked like…well, what it looked like. When he’d seen Grape get that close to Peanut, he felt his suspicions were confirmed. His usual Cheshire-like grin seemed lost forever. “Grape… Why?” he whispered to himself as he swiftly climbed upon the branches of trees and along the rooftops of houses…following them while staying out of sight and proceeding with silent pawsteps.

---

Peanut and Grape had finally made their way out of Babylon Gardens and into the surrounding wilderness. “Hang on,” Peanut said as he set down the picnic basket. He got out the map Joey had given him, out of his collar. Grape giggled at Peanut as he looked at the map and up from it to get his bearings. She took the map from the dog and turned it right side up. “Uh…I knew that.” Peanut replied sheepishly. Grape rolled her eyes. She wondered why she liked Peanut, considering his awkwardness…but perhaps that was what had attracted her to him…his carefree attitude, his goofy charm…his cuteness. Her heart skipped a beat. “Okay, we’re almost there.” He said as he folded the map and put it back in his collar. He took Grape’s paw in his and started jogging, nearly pulling her along.

---

Fiddler and Keys were already at the base of the tree where Joey had told them to meet; they were a little annoyed that the couple they had agreed to play music to hadn’t shown up yet. They only agreed to it because they owed Joey big time. Keys had finished setting up her Yamaha keyboard on the portable stand, while Fiddler had gotten out his violin from the case. “I’m telling you, night based songs are overdone…I don’t care how romantic they seem to be…everyone’s heard them a million times.” Fiddler said to Keys.

The black female cat promptly put her hands on her hips. “Oh, yeah…well what do you suggest? You’re always asking me for my opinion, and then you complain when I give it.” She started up her keyboard and tapped a couple of keys, as if she was testing to see if it was in tune.

Fiddler scoffed at Keys as he drew his bow across the strings and gave a look of disgust. He adjusted the pegs and tried it again, this time appearing satisfied. He looked at Keys, with a sad look of mild regret. “Remember when we used to play romantic pieces for each other?” He sat down, leaning against the tree. “I miss those days.” He drew the bow across the strings, playing a nameless, sad melody.

Keys sighed. “Okay, well…how about Dvořák’s Four Romantic Pieces For Violin and Piano, Opus 75?” the black cat replied. She started playing the tune, judging whether she should continue based on Fiddler’s reaction.

Fiddler joined in the melody with his violin, his eyes glossed over…he was enjoying this a bit. Thanks Keys…

After a while, Peanut and Grape heard the music coming from atop a hill. “That must be it… C’mon Grape.”

“Okay, Peanut…will ya’ slow down. I know you’re anxious about this, but…” Grape rubbed the back of her neck. “…I dunno.”

Peanut’s ears drooped a bit. “…you promised…”

Grape ruffled Peanut’s headfur, prompting him to use his paw to set it back in place. “I know,” Grape replied. “C’mon, I’ll race you there…” she took off without warning, leaving Peanut behind carrying the picnic basket.

“Wait Grape…that’s not fair,” Peanut cried out, struggling to keep up. Somehow he was able to, but he suspected Grape was running slower than she really could. Fiddler and Keys heard the happy couple arriving and looked at each other, not missing a beat. Ahhh, love... they thought to themselves.

When they saw Grape come up the side of the hill first, they certainly weren’t expecting to see Peanut… The two cats suddenly stopped playing their instruments and looked with surprise at the dog and cat. Grape and Peanut looked at each other and then back at Fiddler and Keys. Did Joey not tell them? Grape and Peanut both thought to themselves.

Grape cleared her throat. “Oh, Peanut what are you doing here?” she asked, trying to sound surprised...it wasn’t very convincing. “I must be at the wrong hill, don’t mind me I was just passing through.” As Grape was trying to leave, Peanut grabbed her paw, stopping the lavender cat in her tracks. She was blushing deeply from embarrassment and just wanted to disappear, but Peanut’s grip was unrelenting.

Peanut turned to Fiddler and Keys. “I take it Joey didn’t tell you who’d be here for the picnic date?” the dog asked the cats in a stern voice.

Fiddler and Keys, eyes still wide with shock, just slowly shook their heads. Peanut sighed. “It’s Grape and me; do you have a problem with that?”

The two cats looked at each other and then hesitantly, back to Peanut.

“…or am I going to have to tell Joey you two bailed on us?” the dog continued. The two cats looked at each other one more time, shrugged, and then continued playing the piece.

“C’mon Grape,” Peanut said softly to the cat as he gently coaxed her into following him. Grape was lead by his paw as they walked to a nice soft spot under the tree. Peanut let go of Grape’s paw as he set the picnic basket down and got out the blanket. He was thankful they had one with a waterproof tarp-like bottom for occasions like this…otherwise the snow could have been a problem. The dog spread it out and set the picnic basket on it, before taking a seat on it himself. He lay down and was mesmerized by the view the hill had. He looked at Grape and patted the empty spot on the blanket beside him. He turned to one side and opened the picnic basket, taking out a couple of tuna fish sandwiches.

Grape figured it was safe enough…there was nobody around, except for Fiddler and Keys, and they weren’t likely to tell anyone anything. Joey must have had something on them, but she shrugged it off and sat down beside Peanut. The cat leaned back, propping herself up with arms. The view was spectacular…she could see nearly all of Babylon Garden’s from up here…she was just worried that meant everyone could see them on the hill up there. She turned her head when Peanut waved the sandwich in front of her before holding it out for her to take, once again.

“Grape? …is something wrong?” Peanut asked, as the cat sat up and took the sandwich from him.

Grape said nothing as she unwrapped the sandwich…she took a bite and starting chewing it. Peanut took that as a sign she didn’t want to talk about it. He unwrapped his own sandwich and took a bite. She’s so moody right now…she seemed as excited about this as I was, a moment ago…is it because of Fiddler and Keys?

As soon as Grape swallowed, she set the sandwich down. She didn’t know how to approach this issue…violence usually resolved the problem, but it didn’t seem like it would be so easy this time. “Peanut, I have something I need to tell you…”

Peanut stopped chewing his sandwich and swallowed…he wasn’t sure he liked the sound of that. “I’m…all ears,” he replied reluctantly. The music played by the two cats continued, softly…they were trying to keep it in the background as much as possible. It was still very romantic.

C’mon Grape, you can do this… she tried to tell herself as she closed her eyes. “Peanut, very recently, I’ve been having feelings for you…feelings, not conducive to a healthy relationship in living together in the same house as a cat and dog.” She opened an eye part way to look at Peanut…to see how he’d react.

Peanut lay back on the blanket, his hands supporting his head. His eyes were closed as if deep in thought. The way Grape explained it, made it sound as if she knew Peanut felt the same way about her…and was gently scolding him for it. The dog knew it was unnatural to feel that way about a cat, but he didn’t care…it was a part of who he was… There wasn’t anything he could do about it. Peanut sighed. “I feel the same way, Grape,” Peanut replied as he opened his eyes and looked at her. “…but what would you have me do? I can’t just ignore how I feel about you…and if you feel about me this way, as…well” Peanut blushed and looked away, in an attempt to change the topic he quickly reached into the picnic basket and took out the dog treats. “W-want one, Grape?” Peanut asked as he fumbled with one, before grasping it in both hands. *whew* He held it out for Grape.

Grape was more conflicted than ever. She loved Peanut, but she also had feelings for Maxwell…she took the dog biscuit and crunched off the end, and chewed it. Peanut did the same to his as he laid on his back on the blanket. The dog treat helped Grape tremendously…for some reason she liked the taste of it more than tuna fish. She was feeling better about the situation and even scooted closer to Peanut. Just as she thought…it was warmer beside someone. Together, side by side they looked at the setting sun. Peanut and Grape smiled.

Sunset couldn’t have been more than 15 minutes away. The sky shown in beautiful red clouds that reflected opaquely off the snow covered landscape. The atmosphere was pitch perfect as Peanut and Grape lay together, enjoying the ambient musical piece played by the two cats. Peanut leaned over with his muzzle in front of Grape, she shivered, expecting Peanut’s kiss. Suddenly, Fiddler’s bow slipped off the strings in a sharp screeching sound as Key’s fingers missed their mark and faded, eventually coming to a stop. The dog and cat quickly looked over at the two cats that had stopped playing their instruments and saw that Fiddler and Keys were looking past them, with surprised expressions on their faces.

"So you thought you could pull a fast one on me, eh? I see how it really is, Grape Jelly Sandwich." Grape and Peanut turned around to see none other than Maxwell. They were horrified.

----------

Story Concluded by Tha Housedog here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 83#p151683

----------

Note: The last line was written by T.H. and remains unchanged from it's original form. Excellent ending, no? X3
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Also:
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I wasn't just going to leave you guys hanging. I helped out as much as possible with this Chapter. I will be writing Chapter 10, but it may be a day late. Possibly.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

DUN. DUN DUUUN!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That was really cute, but I always feel so sad for Max in all these Grapenut stories. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Well, this is written by THA HOUSEDOG and Lightwolf21 , the biggest Grapenut shippers I know. However, I have no idea what is going to happen next.
valerio

Post by valerio »

This was so awesome and inevitable.
Loved every line of this update!
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

That update was epic. Need I say more?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Excellent update, guys. Not the way I would have gone, but then again my way may have been too sadistic!

Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens next. I didn't think that Max could get jealous like that. Fiddler and keys were the perfect audience for the date too. They hemmed and hawed and gasped in just the right spots.
My characters