• Advertisement

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
AI upscaling of Housepets! 

Post AI upscaling of Housepets!
I came across a beautiful panel of Grape and Max in one of the comics (http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/2013/01/11/party-in-my-mouth/)
So I took the time to clean it up and get the following frame:

Neat, huh? But I thought it was a shame that the resolution was so low. In a perfect world, Rick Griffin would publish all the comics in the original quality with and without speech bubbles so that we could see the art the way it deserves to be seen (If Rick actually does this, let me know!)

So, I turned to the next best answer: AI upscaling! With the modern technology of today, we can use artificial intelligence to increase the quality of images by having a computer "guess" what the image would look like if it was in a higher resolution. By looking around the internet, I found the following website for upscaling of anime-style images for free: http://waifu2x.udp.jp/. (Use at your own risk, I don't know it this is a safe website, but it seems legit)
On the website, I chose the image file I wanted to upscale, I put the "style" setting to "artwork" and the "upscaling" to "2x". Then I clicked "convert". This opened a new tab with the new image. I was completely mind-blown. I stared at the screen for a solid 15 seconds. I copied the image, pasted it in my image editing software (paint.net) and polished it a bit. This is the result:

Pretty amazing, don't you think? Of course, I didn't stop there! I went ahead and scaled it up one more time. Here is a handy comparison of the different sizes:

I don't know about you, but I'm seriously impressed, it's like magic(k)! If you have a favorite panel that you want to upgrade, now you know what to do!

If you're interested in taking a closer look, here are the three different sizes:

Original

2x upscaling

4x upscaling

Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 am

Post Re: AI upscaling of Housepets!
Thanks for sharing this site! I've been looking for a good upscaling AI for a while, the best result I've found was some fancy scientific neural network that required a whole bunch of custom software to run.

Here's one of my favorite pics of Tarot, upscaled 2 and 4 times (won't post em here cuz they're big). Super impressive :D

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 pm
Profile WWW

Nathan Kerbonaut Wrote:
Here's one of my favorite pics of Tarot, upscaled 2 and 4 times (won't post em here cuz they're big). Super impressive :D

If there's anywhere you should post these images, it's here!
Here is the cutest valentine of 2010 upscaled and glorious:

Orginal quality
2x upscaling

I can't get over how amazing this technology is. You could literally only dream of these things 10 years ago.

Say hi to Tiger and Friends! Orginal quality to the left and 2x upscaling to the right. The 4x upscaling (link under image) is completely insane.

Source comic
Orginal quality
2x upscaling
4x upscaling

Next up: Marion and Lois, Valentines 2020 edition!

Orginal quality
2x upscaling

Original quality
2x upscaling

Precognition chess!

Source comic
Original quality
2x upscaling

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am

Thanks a lot for this great and useful website, the results are neat! :D
Very nice results with Houepsets! comic draws. :) Anyway, for the Valentine cards there's no need, since here there are all of them in higher resolution. ;)

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Profile WWW

Cesco Wrote:
Thanks a lot for this great and useful website, the results are neat! :D
Very nice results with Houepsets! comic draws. :) Anyway, for the Valentine cards there's no need, since here there are all of them in higher resolution. ;)

Well, if you want a poster-sized valentines card, then you can upscale those high-quality images a couple of times!

Anyway, here's a pretty frame of our favorite gryphon!

Source comic
Orginal quality
2x upscaling

Now let's give Bino some appreciation:

Source comic
Original quality
2x upscaling

Source comic
Original quality
2x upscaling

Back to Pete, upscaled 2x, because he's beautiful!

Source comic
Quality comparison

Yes, Pete is snoring in his thoughts, cuz that's the kind of thing he'd do ironically.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 am

You did a very nice job with all of these! I hope that you can post more!

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]