Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

I actually forgot about that first PM. I wouldn't have thought about the freezing eyes bit if you hadn't reminded me in the last PM.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Oh. Changed my post to comply with
Legotron123 wrote:I was fully willing to have it be Kolt, as long as it got used at all.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

June's score is 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 in binary, it's a maxed out 32 bit variable. she broke he game.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I put two references in my most recent post, and this time I think I’m just going to say what they’re referencing. The absolutely livid bit in Kolt’s speech to Cold Front is a reference to Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and the three aliens mentioned in Lewis’ section are Eyeguy, Blitzwolf, and Walkatrout from Ben 10.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

You know, you guys aren't really following the intended mechanics of this boss fight. It was supposed to be more video-game like where you find Cold Front and hit him once leaving Heat Wave open to also be hit once before Cold Front hides again and makes it more difficult to find him. Do this three times as is traditional in a boss fight and you win. It was not supposed to be "Auto-Hit Cold Front and pin him down for repeated attacks against both of them while basically ignoring any negative effects of their counterattacks including a -100 degree blast to the face, and a blinding attack that targeted the water inside the eyes." Those attacks were supposed to be a penalty for getting too close to the dangerous enemy, but they are treated like mild inconveniences or automatically blocked by auto-adjusting shields. :x

I didn't explain this before, so there isn't a need to change anything though.

The fight is too one-sided, and that makes it less fun. I'm going to have to do something to balance it. This is the last stage of the match, Then there will be a short break before the next round of training starts.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

You cant really blame them CD. If the ice attack had been played straight, Kolt would be permanently blind. That's not an injury that can heal, and optic nerves are too delecate to graft.

No player is ever going to intentionally allow that kind of thing to happen.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It would be a permanently damaging attack if it weren't all an illusion where the effects go away after the match ends. That's kind of the point of the illusory nature of the training grounds. The danger can be convincingly real, but any effects from it are temporary.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’ll be honest, I kinda forgot the temperature had been lowered to -100. I’m pretty sure the only reason Kolt did is well as he did is because I felt obliged to take advantage of the opening Deske made. I can always change it if you’d like.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No. I have an idea. It might not seem fair but it's only once. One more big wave, then it's on to an intermission. I believe in-game it is around 12 to 1, so there might be a lunch break.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

I think you're implementing the fight differently than everyone is receiving it. You want it to be like a boss fight. As it seems, everyone else is taking this as a fight fight. Cold Front isn't just a target that isn't going to get touched while someone else attacks Heat Wave. He's a continuous threat which needs to be removed. *shrug* Just my 0.02
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

I agree with Deske here, my personal take is Cold Front didn't do anything to escape. If its meant to be a boss fight rumble then the bosses need a mechanic to ensure that the players won't try to do back to back damage. Its like in video games where you can cheese bosses invincibility frames, if you can, you'll try to do more damage. To cut down on rambling, Cold Front should have froze Kolt's eyes then knocked him away with an ice wall to make some distance, forcing Kolt to find him again if its meant to be a longer back and forth, hide and seek. Just my take though, this will annoy Tatiana far me than it does me!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Thanks for the feedback. I think it's too late to fix this boss fight, but I'll try to make the next one better.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Aw crap. Uh, anyone got any ideas on how to stop a 20 meter tall tidal wave filled with debris?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It will take a combined effort. Most of you guys have either shields or telekinesis, and Jenny's concussive blasts can push things. Though that won't stop it forever. Instead of stopping it, perhaps you can protect the buildings and each other as the wave moves past. With the duo gone, the flood won't last long past this initial blast.

... In hindsight, 20 meters is pretty insane. If you don't think you can handle it, I can cut the height.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

How many soldiers did we have left?
31 light infantry. 33 assuming the 2 armored can eject/have ejected. Normally you'd allocate ~3sqft per person, but these guys are military so I'm 100% sure they can make do with 1.5sqft. Then there's Tatiana and Ulrich. They can have their own 5x5 square.
We'll go extremes for this part. A typical "tiny house" averages about 120sqft, so assuming that I can follow these rules and generate a platform of about 50sqft or two platforms of 25sqft, then it should remain in the "not building sized" part.
Everyone should be able to survive 1G of acceleration. Everyone should also be able to survive a short burst of up to 3-4Gs without any training, but we'll be safe for this.
20 meter tall wave, Accelerating from 0m/s to 20m/s in the span of 2 seconds is 1.02Gs of force. I'm sure the wave won't reach the buildings in 2 seconds. Hopefully.

Kolt can take Jenny and fly up in the same manner.

Nobody will have to contend with trying to reinforce buildings and taking chances with the immense force of water. We could just avoid it.

That's all assuming that the soldiers would listen at all, wouldn't panic, and would move quickly like their training dictates. If they can't then it's all moot.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

31 light infantry remain. 2 have heavy weapons. 20 have high powered machine guns. 9 have handguns.
2 armored infantry remain.
1 light vehicles remain.
5 tanks remain. 1 has shields down.
Everyone left their vehicles when the mercs showed up.
So that's 31 + 2 who abandoned the armored rigs.
Then there's the two who left the light vehicle.
Finally there was three per tank, so that's 15.

31 + 2 + 2 + 15 = 50 infantry.

That's 75 square feet for the soldiers, plus three for the civilian, plus 10 for Ulrich and Tatiana. It's pushing the limit and there needs to be some consequence for doing so, but I'll allow it.

You definitely have more than 2 seconds. Though you might want to have a roof on those structures. Thunder is super effective against flying.

EDIT: Also, as this wave will not take long to hit, I'll let you guys rush and take as many actions as you can before I post next.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So I’m guessing we’ve all just decided to make Jenny the team leader then? She’s always the one who gives out orders when Hivemind isn’t telling people what to do. Not that I have a problem with it, she’s clearly the most qualified, just wanted to make sure we’re all on the same page.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

As a trained government agent, she probably has the best leadership skills, and is the most level-headed and strategic in her approach. She also demonstrates those leadership skills more often than others do. She does seem to be the de-facto leader of the group.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Yeah, Tatiana wouldn't be too good of a leader, too much of a loan wolf and by the orders merc. Plus she doesn't think things through too much, see her cracked leg for evidence of that. Without a leader to ground her she kinda falls back into "wing it" mode.

Jenny seems like a good leader overall.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Is that a good enough drawback or would you prefer the "I can't fit on the platforms or else I'll actually melt through my bones" self sacrifice sort of thing? I'm not very creative.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

What you did is fine, Deske.

Anyway, about my post. "Enchanted Labyrinth Syndrome" is a state of intense mental distress that can lead to severe paranoia and anxiety. It is caused by combining the stress of being lost with the shattered sense of logic and lack of trust in one's own senses caused by the area you are lost in constantly changing while your back is turned, like a labyrinth that changes it's own passages. This is what Julian is going through.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I just realized I never posted any of that lore stuff for the Steelhaven universe like I said I was going to. Would anyone mind if I posted some of it here?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sure. Go ahead Lego.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

'fore anyone posts, I have a idea for getting Jenny off the ledge. Consulting with Cyber on it first.

EDIT.

I wanted a 'New York City' moment. You know, like in the Spider-Man films, where the city helps him out? In the First film, for example, the group on the bridge distracting the Goblin when Spider-Man saves the kids or the 2nd where he saves the train and those on board stop him from falling to his death. Something like that. Very like that, actually(!)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I am actually very curious about how the Steelhaven residents would react to visiting a zoo full of non-anthropomorphic animals.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:I am actually very curious about how the Steelhaven residents would react to visiting a zoo full of non-anthropomorphic animals.
Keeva would wonder where the domestic cats are.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Liz would find it uncomfortable in an uncanny valley sort of way, while Lewis would just stare at a dog for five minutes before internalizing it for the rest of his life.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:I am actually very curious about how the Steelhaven residents would react to visiting a zoo full of non-anthropomorphic animals.
*Watches ferrets being ferrets*
"And here I thought I was good at squeezing into small spaces..."
Deske

Post by Deske »

I think the doctor would try to talk to it then wonder why it only responded with barks or various physical cues instead of with words.
I'm a little interested to know if our characters are going to be expected to go to the doctor or to the vet. Or if they're just the same person.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The idea to injure Jenny was deliberate. If you're going to pull a major new use for a power out of your backside 'because the situation needed it' you should also have a good reason why they've not used it before. She could have vibrated apart if she'd kept going (she got a bit carried away...) The 'reduction' was Cybers' idea. It is only training.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's two training sessions with a mission right after. I don't want Jenny to miss anything because she was dedicated to saving everyone in the simulation.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m not going to lie, that Lego train and river thing Liz listed is something I’ve wanted since I was three.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So I want to give a little bit of Lore background on Gadgeteer's species.

Gadgeteer is a Varanian, which is a species I based on monitor lizards, with an emphasis on Komodo dragons, however they lack the venom that Komodo dragons have. I've mentioned them several times in the RP. They are on average much larger and much stronger than humans, and are even bullet resistant to a very limited degree. Varanians are purely carnivores. They normally don't eat often, but can consume up to 80% of their body weight in a sitting. Varanians have long since enslaved and hunted the other species of Varan, the Corytophians, as a food source. This has gone down in recent years, as the Varanians have more of a need for manpower than food, and so the Corytophians are frequently enslaved.

Varanians are on average less intelligent than humans, but have higher technology because of what they stole and reverse engineered from a different alien race that crash-landed on Varan long ago. The Varanians would not be in space if it were not for this stolen technology. The Gadgeteer is possibly the most intelligent Varanian alive, and he is still only highly intelligent by human standards.

About thirty years prior to the events of BoH, the Varanian empire launched a series of attacks on Earth, attempting to take it over and enslave the population to use mostly as livestock. After suffering many losses in ships and personnel, they instead turned their attention to the human colonies. They managed to capture a considerable number of them before the Beacon showed up and liberated the planets one by one.

Varan's government continued their attacks and frequently ignored or launched attacks on people and planets who criticized their attacks, use of slave labor, and common practice of sentient cannibalism. This did not stop until their neighbor planet was knocked out of orbit and sent on a collision course with Varan. The Dragon Knight along with other heroes from the Beacon pushed the other planet back into it's regular orbital path, earning the respect of the Varanian people. Varanians typically respect strength. When The Dragon Knight used the raw strength to move a planet in order to save their own, they reluctantly started the process of reforming their practices and complying with the intergalactic laws out of respect for The Dragon Knight and Hivemind. That being said, laws that aren't enforced aren't laws at all, and the Varan government isn't very good at enforcing the laws it didn't want in the first place.

As for Archangel, I don't have much on his species, but I thought it would be funny to have a reminder that he is not a human nor an angel by giving him a diet that is completely unexpected of someone that looks like him. I decided to have his species be mostly carnivorous with a preference for raw meat. Their blood doesn't use iron to carry oxygen. They have hemocyanin which uses copper instead. In addition, they are able to taste and process minor amounts of radioactive isotopes as their planet orbits a high energy star.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Elizabeth Walker wrote:Liz frowned. ”Sadly, no. Most of the higher ranking officers were killed in accident.” She said, turning to look at her son and her friend. ”The three of us are all that’s left.”
Denver: Image

That was a joke by the way
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

He wasn’t a member of the command staff. He was a doctor who, after that unauthorized space walk on his first day, wasn’t given very many responsibilities outside of his job.

Deske

Post by Deske »

R.I.P. the dream of more unauthorized spacewalks on his 2nd week.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And Nocturl only half counts seeing as he's dead. :)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Do you still hold a funeral for a ghost?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I read the name “Kill Rangers” and all I can think of is some hyper edgy Power Rangers spinoff made by someone who’s mind never left the 90s.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I had the same thought. Welsh? Do you have any lore on these characters you can share?
-Champion Motto