Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Custom Super-Powered Section 8 style Recon Dropsuits. 8-) :mrgreen:

And the group is off! It's about time we got some more action in here! And what's more action packed than an orbital combat-skydive through a super-powered warzone of spaceships to save a planet of hunter-warriors from man-eating reptile aliens?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Seenas' outfit is a green version of Uhura's from Star Trek TOS.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm waiting for more people to post before I post again.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Passes cyber the poking stick.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know, I know.

*pokes myself in the face*

I'll get to writing. I wanted to give Rook the time to post, but I need to move things along.

Rook, I will keep giving you stuff to respond to, so you can post whenever you are able.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, i wanted to wait for CD's post, but i think this could use a little music don't you think?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

:lol:

Thank you, Buster. I'm actually working on the post now.

On another, unrelated note, I'm actually starting to write stories relating to my characters and their origins. Though there are a few changes from the BoH versions of the characters, so I'm probably going to consider the story versions of them a separate continuity. For example, I renamed The Lycan. His name isn't Randy in the books because I always thought that was kind of a boring name. It's Hunter Blakesley in the book.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I meant to post this earlier, but I kinda forgot. Here’s some music for the fight in space. As always, your opinions are appreciated.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Thanks again, Lego. I can totally see that playing during an orbital combat skydive. :D
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Something for the sci-fi war fans to look forward to.

After all the American comic book adaptations, A British one is about to start.

From Rebellion Entertainment and 2000AD (Home of Judge Dredd)...

ROGUE TROOPER is coming!

(Here's his wiki page.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Lego, Welsh, hitting a Varanian, even a small one, with the butt of a rifle is more likely to break your rifle than it is to knock out the Varanian.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:Lego, Welsh, hitting a Varanian, even a small one, with the butt of a rifle is more likely to break your rifle than it is to knock out the Varanian.
Re-edited the edit I put in when I thought I'd forgotten Liz had KO'ed him. As she - probably - hadn't, the edit was wrong.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:Lego, Welsh, hitting a Varanian, even a small one, with the butt of a rifle is more likely to break your rifle than it is to knock out the Varanian.
I kinda thought acquiring and dazing him might help it work. I’ll edit my post in a bit.
EDIT: the deed is done. I’m constantly surprised by how tough the Varians are. To use the Animorphs terminology, they’d probably make a pretty good battle morph.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Varanians are very tough. They're naturally bullet resistant, impact resistant, stab resistant, fire resistant, pressure resistant, poison resistant, disease resistant, corrosive resistant, heat resistant, even cold resistant. The only thing they aren't resistant to is drowning since all of that natural armor makes them too dense to swim.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

.....I can’t wait until Liz gets a chance to acquire the Shipmaster.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yeah, for emphasis... I'm pretty sure some of the crew survived that crash and the following plummet to the planet below. Not many, but some.

Also we get the first demonstration of Titan's powers! Sorta...
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Am I the only one who can’t stop thinking about how sad it is the lower Varians don’t get names?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It is pretty sad.

The way it works is that when a Varanian hatches, they are given a name by their family, usually the parents. However, if they are beaten in a fight by a stronger Varanian, or they demonstrate cowardice, their name is stripped from them and they are labeled as no more than a nameless tool for their superiors to use as they see fit. It is still possible to be "demoted" further than that, and being demoted lower than a nameless object is about about the greatest fear for a Varanian, because everything lower than that is basically a fate worse than death.

(Though honestly I came up with this side of Varanian culture because I'm sick of coming up with names. :P )
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:(Though honestly I came up with this side of Varanian culture because I'm sick of coming up with names. :P )
Golta. Golten. Jenny. Sana. Corvis... Tell me about it...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You could always do what I do. Pick a random name from a show or book you like and change one letter to make it sound sci-fiy.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just an FYI guys, I have work today, so I’m probably not going to be able to post today. I’ll definitely be able to do it tomorrow though.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So I was reading Rick's twitter earlier today and he started talking about "world of hats" type character species and different ways you can make it work. After all, if it's an intelligent species with any free will or free thought, there are going to be differences in opinions and different cultures that form. This got me thinking about Varanian culture and the possibilities of subcultures that exist on Varan. The mainstream culture is very much "might makes right" where strength and forcefulness are considered virtues. Thus, if someone is strong enough to take something, then they are right to take it.

Some other subcultures and countercultures I've thought of include a sort of scholarly counterculture that values mental strength as much as physical. Members of this counterculture have a great deal of respect for Humans due to humans having the best technology and for being on average considerably smarter than Varanians. This counterculture is looked upon with a great deal of suspicion, hostility, and disrespect. Warlords often bully people who subscribe to this counterculture in order to get them to make weapons and devices to increase the Warlord's personal power. Might still makes right in this culture, but now intellectual might is factored into the equation. Gadgeteer is actually part of this counterculture.

Another counterculture popular with the newer generations is one that believes that real strength lies in self-discipline and refusal of base desires. They are heavily influenced by thoughts and ideas from other species in the universe, and this counterculture is definitely more popular on colonies. They take the idea of "Might makes right" and flip it to "Right makes might." The ones who are strong in their mind, the ones who deserve their respect, are the ones who control themselves and keep a level head in times of emotional stress. In other words, it's emotional strength and strength of will that matter. They care less about physical strength. Because of this drastic departure from the mainstream culture, these guys are branded cowards and weaklings. Parents have been known to disown children and young adults who sympathize with this viewpoint. The mainstream culture is so hostile to this counterculture that it was once a capitol offense on Varan to subscribe to this idea until the Beacon "persuaded" them to make it legal.

I'll probably come up with more, but that's what I have for now.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bacon Of Hop OOC

Post by Buster »

a mono-culture in a society that tends to enslave/kill those that don't tow the line is a fair bit more believable than in more tolerant societies though
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It is more believable in strict, brutal societies than in more tolerant ones, but it's still not believable for a species that isn't a hive mind. Anyway, the part of the society that is the most strict and brutal about enslaving or killing dissenters and weaklings is the military, and usually confined to dissenters and weaklings in the military. Civilian life is a bit more lenient, though only a bit. You are still expected to basically bully or force your way to getting what you want. Murder rates are high, though officially it's illegal unless you're a high ranking official (their population was starting to decline due to high murder rates, so that's one of only a few things you aren't allowed to do, even if you are strong enough to do so). In civilian society, slaves are generally members of other species such as corytophians.

I'm mostly spit-balling ideas here. I don't know if I'm going to bring this stuff into the main cannon. However, this is stuff that should be considered when making a world of hats, since a society that only ever has one culture isn't really believable unless you're the Borg.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think this might be my first dialogueless post. Never really done this before.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So I originally had the idea that in this mission I would be nice and the no kill rule would be completely dropped, and for deaths to have no consequence for the duration of the day. Now though, I realize that is something that I should never do. I would be a bad writer if I set up the idea that death matters in this world; that killing matters, and then throw that idea out when it becomes inconvenient.

One of the major things that I, through this game, am trying to teach is that every life matters. Even the lives of our worst enemies. Nobody is faceless, nobody is expendable. A million isn't a statistic, it's a million tragedies. Each face in a crowd is an individual, worthy of being considered an individual.

That is why I've decided that, while Hivemind won't penalize lethal attacks in this mission, the universe will. It could be small, like reinforcements being called in and having to deal with more aggressive enemies who realize they are fighting for their lives. It could be the removal of diplomatic options, and a damaged reputation for the team as a whole. It could be a boss that randomly attacks at the worst time to avenge a death you caused days ago. It might even be more emotional. A sucker punch to your gut for picking off what seemed like a lowly grunt.

I say this as a fair warning. When I post (hopefully tomorrow evening) I will have you get lucky this turn. Make the lethal shots miss, or hit non-vital parts of the enemies' bodies. However, in the future, expect lethal methods to be effective, and to come at a cost. Sometimes, an extreme one.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

It's an RP, not a PSA. Put the soap box away.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

You're the GM, Cyber. You don't need to warn us of such things. It can set us against the idea of having our characters IN the RP in the worst cases. For my guys, Corp has killed in the past. He doesnt like doing it but his priority is doing what's needed to get the job done and keeping those he's with alive. Hannabelle is a pro killer with her own conflict. She takes out 'the bad guy' to save innocents and her own people. She's quite likely to kill only if she needs to now and can probably be convinced to hold fire. Jenny's using heavy stun.

I have no problem with repercussions. But I didn't need to know they exist.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I don’t like this. I understand the point about not wanting to throw out something just because it’s inconvenient, but I think it’s bad storytelling to have the universe magically conspire to punish our characters whenever we kill. Especially since we’re in the middle of a WAR right now, and all of my characters know you don’t hold back in a war. Ultimately, having the no killing rule suddenly becoming some sort of Devine Law as opposed to a restriction imposed by Hivemind feels really unnatural. If you hadn’t told us about this, the consequences would’ve felt more natural when they happened. Now they’re just going to feel forced.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i should probably clarify, my objection was less to the mechanic itself. it's to using a mechanic as a 'message' or 'lesson', and the inevitable 'your fun is wrong' garbage that always seems to follow and is a cardinal sin of any kind of cooperative content.

Especially considering the justification comes off as contrived.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:i should probably clarify, my objection was less to the mechanic itself. it's to using a mechanic as a 'message' or 'lesson', and the inevitable 'your fun is wrong' garbage that always seems to follow and is a cardinal sin of any kind of cooperative content.

Especially considering the justification comes off as contrived.
That’s another good point. You don’t need to take time out of your superhero RP to teach us that killing is wrong. I’m pretty confident that everyone here knows that life has value. It doesn’t mean that our characters aren’t going to kill to save themselves and others.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fine.

I try to put a sense of importance into your choices, into this world, a world that I love and that I've wanted to share with you guys, and I get this as a response. I try to give you fair warning, and I get a backlash. I try to show that this RP has something to teach, in addition to being for fun, but you just want the fun without the lesson the fun is trying to teach. I created this universe for a reason. It was my way of coping with all the bad stuff in this world, from the non-stop bullying I experienced as a kid to the rotten garbage going on in the world. It's important to me, so I give it all I can and I try to give it importance. But I guess that care isn't the reason this RP is good.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:a world that I love and that I've wanted to share with you guys
Ever seen this floating around the internet?
Tip #4 for running a D&D campaign:
Don't get too attached to your setting and campaign, because your players are probably going to light it on fire at some point.
it doesn't mean to be lazy about your world building, quite the opposite, it's about avoiding the emotional attachments that can make you blind to it's flaws and limitations, and hostile to those who would point them out, play with them, or try to take them in unexpected directions.
CyberDragon wrote:I try to give you fair warning, and I get a backlash.
to be fair, all three times you've hit significant backlash its because you've changed something abruptly, or been planning to change something abruptly.
CyberDragon wrote:but you just want the fun without the lesson the fun is trying to teach.
no, i just don't want to have to deal with disproportionate backlash because one of my characters does the rational thing to do in a life-or-death situation. i remember the simulator.

and before you bring up the armor and stasis gear, i'm not referring to the champions lives. this is a warzone. every second wasted is a potential civilian casualty, and while I may know that plot contrivances will occur to minimize that my characters don't, and i prefer to keep meta-gaming to a minimum.
CyberDragon wrote:I created this universe for a reason. It was my way of coping with all the bad stuff in this world, from the non-stop bullying I experienced as a kid to the rotten garbage going on in the world.
See point #1. you're clearly far to close to the source material to view it objectively.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Cyber, regardless of what you intended, this would not have added a “sense of importance” to our choices. If anything, it would’ve robbed us of some of that choice, since we’d be forced to either act out of character or to sabotage our own characters actions, just to avoid some arbitrary punishment in the future. As for the lesson, we get it. Every life is important, every life has meaning, every life affects the lives of others. We already know that. You seem to be forgetting that we are currently fighting for the fate of a planet right now. We are in a scenario where holding back like you suggested will result in worse consequences for us and others than whatever contrived punishment you force upon us afterwords. And I think the worst part is that if you hadn’t told us about this, if you had let the consequences come naturally instead of making it clear ahead of time this was only meant to punish us, we would’ve welcomed it. I think the care you put into this world is one of the greatest things about it. But this decision has none of that care in it.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If I wasn't emotionally attached to this world, the game would have died back when I realized each post would take two hours for me to write.

I am not trying to change anything. We have never delt with lethal fighting in a real setting before. This is how I plan on dealing with it.

The simulation was Hivemind deliberately trying to beat the no-kill rule into the characters heads because it's his most important rule. I don't think it's disproportionate if the soldier next to the one you shot mourns the loss of his brother in arms and fights more aggressively. Or if a commander says "you killed my men" and then refuse to listen to attempts at diplomacy.

They are negative consequences for negative actions. That's why I called them "punishments". But they are still natural reactions that could realistically happen in this setting.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If you want the consequences to be natural, you shouldn’t have implied in the first post that these consequences wouldn’t be happening if you hadn’t changed your mind about the killing thing. Also, you choose a REALLY bad example, since the appropriate response to an enemy commander doing that would be “you were trying to kill us, don’t act like you have the moral high ground.”

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

OK, I think it's time to quiet down now.

Both sides have had their say and it's time for Cyber to think on what was said. As the GM he has the authority to enact these things if he so wishes and we've mentioned what we think of the fore-knowledge idea. That's all it is at the moment. An idea. It may not come into play for weeks, if Cyber chooses to enact it at all. But, Cyber, if you do decide to change your mind....

Don't tell us.

If you decide to go ahead with it...

Don't tell us.

This is far too good an RP to fall apart now.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Thank you, Welsh.

Ultimately whatever I do, everything said here will be taken into account.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

seeing a couple of issues here firstly,
They can be manually unlocked by a strong enough Varanian
what? the whole point of such a mechanism would be to hold a ship in place. how can it do that if its weak enough to be opened by hand?

second
What's the point of locking the bay doors like you're supposed to if you're just going to blast them open again
because an infantry scale weapon has no where near the firepower needed to make a big enough hole for a ship to fly through? because the door being deformed near the edge it retracts into could jam it up physically and force them to cut it open rather than just regain system control?

last,
Kobor and Talya would come across a string of prompts written entirely in Varanian when trying to confirm their sabotaging changes.
natural language, and confirmation dialogues imply one is using a front-end UI, when did i give that impression? look;
Exposing the panel's circuitry using her multitool, she quickly fabricated an adapter and plugged directly into the hardware.
she's communicating with the hardware directly in machine code. there wouldn't be a UI.