Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Yes, due to atrophy. However, given the fact that they still have to support the guy's weight, and given his size and likely active lifestyle, his muscles and bones aren't likely to atrophy all that much. He would most likely struggle if he went back to Varan, but he's a Raider. He doesn't live on Varan.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:Well, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, Varanians never stop growing throughout their lives, so given the proper exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle they have no upper limit on how big they can get. Gadgeteer was a runt for most of his life and is still smaller than most Varanians. Warlords are the biggest and strongest Varanians of all of the army they control, and this guy commands hundreds of thousands of ships. Warlords are on average a 15-20 foot tall wall of teeth, claws, armor, and muscle. This is an especially influential warlord, so he's bigger than that.

And yes, Buster, I know about the Square Cube law. However, Varanians have an inherently stronger muscular-skeletal biology than most species due to Varan being a dense planet. They have more physical strength per square inch of muscle than species that developed on smaller worlds. On Varan, a varanian would have trouble going over 20 feet. However, on lighter planets with less gravity, they can get bigger because they aren't as heavy as they'd be on Varan.
I might be over estimating a four again, but I feel like Lewis would at least be able to pin his arms to his sides. Also, how does his kinetic energy absorption work? Because that’s going to be our biggest obstacle to doing any sort of damage to him, and any kind of weakness in it will help us greatly.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

His kinetic absorption is a passive ability. Impacts make him stronger (though they can still theoretically hurt him) so the more you hit him, the harder he hits back.

As for your power, a tier 4 is an upper "Abnormal Weight". A telekinetic power of tier 4 might take down a wall or toss a car. The Warlord has more than that strength naturally. Lewis might be able to throw smaller Varanians or pin their arms together. It might even hinder the Shipmaster a bit, but the Warlord likely wouldn't even feel a difference.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Of course, the enhanced durability and healing means that he can tank pretty much anything our characters can throw at him and get the boost with no penalties. Something tells me Kolt is going to have to use his suits Lethal Mode just to make a dent.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Told you he's the most OP enemy so far.

You're looking for ways to beat him. As you are, you won't be able to. That's not the fight. The fight is to hold him off and survive until Titan gets there, or to use the Predator drone to beat him as a single unit, or use the Predator drone to hold him off until Titan gets there. Again, as I stated in game, the battle will end if and when the Warlord is beaten in single combat, but it won't end if the Warlord is overpowered by a number of enemies. Thus, ultimately, he has to be beaten in a duel. Thus the only ways everyone can participate in beating him are the means I have listed. Everyone fights as a single entity, or they hold out until a single entity strong enough shows up.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, Kolt is going to try to fight him, because as far as he’s concerned, his life doesn’t matter as long as the others survive. I don’t mean that in a “he’s super heroic” sense, I mean that in a “he doesn’t think he has any worth outside of helping others” sense.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

then expect him to frequently trip, get turned around or otherwise waylaid on route to said juggernaut. because SOMEBODY still has her heart set on going on an adventure with her dad, and you know how probability is about her getting what she wants.

No suicide mission for you!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'll post tomorrow. There's something I'm waiting on.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And that's the last time I'll edit that post (reread Cyber's last post, particularly the part iabout armour.)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've actually been wanting to do this for a while. Give all of your characters a gift of custom armor.

A little bit of background: Champion armor generally has a few traits in common. They tend to have an EVA mode, they have a Stasis trigger, and they have personal shielding. Custom armor, like what most of the first-day/second-day recruits got is specifically designed to compliment or amplify the person's powers. Traci's armor doesn't heat up or wear down when she runs at high speed. Ulrich's was designed to reduce the heat of his gauntlets. Jenny's gauntlets won't get damaged from her power and will brace her arms so they don't break. Stuff like that is the signature that the wearer is undeniably a Champion.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Two things.
1. I think I missed the part where you explained what an EVA mode or a stasis trigger are. Mind telling me what they do?
2. Kolt already has custom armor. Though I think we said in a pm or something that the Champion armor would become another mode of Kolt’s suit, using something I haven’t had a chance to bring up in story yet.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i think there's been a miscommunication here, Talya isn't wearing eva armor, she bolted parts stripped from from a kit on to her superstructure because she already is a pressure-sealed suit of armor. I listed the parts in question.

also, being a kaal host is technically a mortal wound in and of itself, and the colony can forcibly animate a host body postmortem up until either cellular necrosis causes the muscles to loose their elasticity or riggormortis sets in. after that point the body can no longer be salvaged, but the colony can survive inside the rotting remains for days waiting for a new potential host to eat the infected carrion. He's already done the former once in the RP, when his body ran out of blood and started shutting down. so where would the threshold for kobor even be?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:Two things.
1. I think I missed the part where you explained what an EVA mode or a stasis trigger are. Mind telling me what they do?
2. Kolt already has custom armor. Though I think we said in a pm or something that the Champion armor would become another mode of Kolt’s suit, using something I haven’t had a chance to bring up in story yet.
1) EVA stands for Extravehicular Activity. It means any activity taking place outside of a vehicle in open space. EVA mode means the armor acts as a space suit as well as armor. A Stasis trigger detects when a mortal wound has been received and locks the body in stasis where they can't be hurt until the Champion can get medical attention.
2) Kolt hasn't gotten the armor yet. His Champion Custom armor will be a new mode installed in his pre-existing armor.
Buster wrote:i think there's been a miscommunication here, Talya isn't wearing eva armor, she bolted parts stripped from from a kit on to her superstructure because she already is a pressure-sealed suit of armor. I listed the parts in question.

also, being a kaal host is technically a mortal wound in and of itself, and the colony can forcibly animate a host body postmortem up until either cellular necrosis causes the muscles to loose their elasticity or riggormortis sets in. after that point the body can no longer be salvaged, but the colony can survive inside the rotting remains for days waiting for a new potential host to eat the infected carrion. He's already done the former once in the RP, when his body ran out of blood and started shutting down. so where would the threshold for kobor even be?
1) I know. I misspoke. I thought I said EVA kit. I'll go back and edit it.
2) The stasis triggers are smarter than to trigger due to Kaal "technically" being a mortal wound. The stasis trigger will activate for the Kaal just before the point that the host can't be saved.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote: Kolt hasn't gotten the armor yet. His Champion Custom armor will be a new mode installed in his pre-existing armor.
A. When I said “custom armor,” I meant the suit that his old team leader custom made for him.
B. I’m still not quite sure what the stasis triggers are, though context clues lead me to believe its something that freezes the armors wearer when they receive fatal damage.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A) I know what you meant. And Hivemind will install a new mode for the Custom Champion armor in Kolt's normal Customized armor.
B) That is correct. I went back and edited my first response. Stasis triggers will lock a Champion in Stasis (a state where they can't move, but they also can't be hurt) until they can get to someone who can save them.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey guys, just an update that I'm going to be traveling to Pacifica California for a week. This shouldn't really impact my posting rate, but if it does, then you know what's going on.

That being said, since my last post was a big one meant to involve everyone, I'd like to wait for everyone to post something before posting again.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So that means we’re waiting on Buster and Deske, right?

Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm sorry, this week has been really long, been super busy and it's taking a toll on my energy levels. I'll try and get one up when I can.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's Ok. If you or Buster can't post, then just let me know. I just wanted to give you all a chance to react to this since it involves everyone. (other than Hlaoroo who's doing his own thing with Welsh)
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'll be home soon. Did an extended shift today.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

@Cyber: Was there some other version of Hive's warning just now for the deaf residents?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If they check the tv, the warning will be running along the bottom, but other than that, no.
-Champion Motto

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

okay, thanks
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

my ability to post might be limited for a week or two coming up due to moving and having to get my Internet reconnected in the new place.
Deske

Post by Deske »

It was harder to explain space than I thought it would be. Trying to condense the sequence of learning from, "the ground -> now your ground is called a planet and it is a really big sphere -> that really big sphere has a really big sky -> Above the sky is space and it is also really big" was kinda tricky.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I edited my last post to include instructions on how to move things along.

Also, regarding The Wyvern, I basically came up with him on the fly, and he's basically exactly what you'd expect. A red dragon-like person with four limbs, two of which have the joint function of being arms and being wings. The Wyvern can fly, breathe fire, and has toxic spikes on his tail. He is also fireproof, super strong, and super durable. His fire breath is actually a burning liquid, so he can actually spit a glob of it into his hands and throw it at enemies, or coat himself in the fire to damage enemies in melee.

As for how his wing-arms work, they look like leathery draconic versions of this guy's wings:

I just really like this style of wing.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

:D hey, look, it's Kolt's first Battlizer! Awww...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Originally, Kolt’s Champion Armor actually was going to look more like a Battlizer from Power Rangers, but I couldn’t figure out a way to make all the unnecessary armor plating work, so I went with a more Iron Man suit like design instead.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, atleast you're not trying to wear a motorcycle as a scarf and have skis for no reason.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Yeah, the Trans Armor Cycle was just weird.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I like how in in being confused with Chris's answer, MT tried to clarify with a more exact answer that just confused Kol more. This kind of makes sense, actually. MT and Hivemind are both robotic or mostly robotic characters with highly literal and logic-driven minds (At least, as logical as it gets in this universe which let's face it is a madhouse in (I hope) the best ways.). As such, it makes sense that they would try to clarify things by breaking it down into it's literal primitive properties.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I have two questions, one for Cyber, and one for the rest of you.
1. What should we expect out of the shipmaster? I know you said it’s going to be easier than the Warlord, but I’d like to know HOW they’re going to be easier.
2. I originally was planning on writing a short story about how Liz and Fortis started dating and eventually broke up, but I’ve kinda lost interest in it. You guys might if I just tell you how I planned on it going once I get off of work (I’m on break right now)?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

1) He's beatable by normal superheroes, for one. :P

He is considerably smaller. About 10 feet smaller, actually. He also doesn't have any super powers beyond his absurd strength and durability, though those aren't anything to laugh at (Varanians don't actually have powers as a general rule. The Warlord's powers are stolen from supers he has defeated). He doesn't regenerate (at least not to a "healing factor" level) so damage done to him will stick. The Shipmaster's weapons aren't quite as powerful either. Keep in mind though, that even without all of this, he is still going to be VERY strong.

2) I'd be interested in hearing about it, though I'm working on my own book in addition to the job search, so I probably wouldn't have time to write anything like that.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

sorry for holding things up. i should be through with having to ration my phone's data by monday.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

You aren't holding things up, I am. I've been pretty busy with family, in addition to wanting to make sure people didn't fall too far behind, so I haven't been posting with the frequency we're used to. I'm working on a post now, but I had to break for dinner.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry, meant to post this yesterday, but I wanted to make sure I got enough sleep for work today. Anyways, here’s the details on that short story I was going to write.
The basic framing device would be a text conversation between Liz and Corp, back when Liz had just become the new captain of the Steelhaven. Corp says “hey, I was reading your file, and you’ve got 57 different cases of “accident contact with an enemy agent.” What’s that about?” Liz starts explaining, and then we go into a flashback. From there, the story is mostly flashback, with occasional interruptions that go back to the conversation to show Corp’s response to what Liz is saying.
Chapter one: Liz is at a networking event, trying to do the political stuff necessary to climb the ranks. She spots a Siberian Tiger by the punch pool (really Fortis using holograms to change his fur colors) and decides to say hello. They have a pleasant conversation, and he introduces himself as Francis Celeus Mandiger, representative of Hexuba Militia, a completely normal mercenary company and totally not a front for the Barbarox. They hit it off, do some polite flirting with each other (showing how Liz was a lot less reserved back then), and end the chapter with giving each other their phone numbers.
Chapter two: A few days later, Liz gets a call from Francis, who’s seeming noticeably less confident than he was at the meeting. He says he’s in town for a little bit and asks if she wouldn’t mind going up to dinner with him sometime. She agrees, and we cut to the date the next day. He’s acting even more nervous than he was during the call, but slowly grows more confident as he starts talking with Liz. The chapter ends with the two of them walking back to Liz’s place, both of them agreeing that they’d like to do this again.
Chapter 3: This chapter would mostly be a montage of them getting closer, with the two of them doing stuff like getting ice cream, having a sparing match (Liz wins), or laughing at silly b movies together. There would be two scenes in particular that would get some focus. The first one would have them talking over a video call while Francis is on a “business trip.” They talk about a few things before eventually getting to the topic of current events. Turns out the Barbarox just suffered a nasty blow, with a good chunk of their leadership getting killed off in a recent battle. And hey, turns out the day after that, Francis got a big promotion at his job! What a coincidence. The second scene has them snuggling on Liz’s couch while it rains outside the facility she’s working at. They talk for a bit, with Francis asking if she’s sure she doesn’t want to come work with him at Hexuba, before Liz decides to ask him something. Why was he so nervous when they went on that first date? He’s a big handsome guy, surely he’d been on dates before. He says yeah, but none of them made him feel the way she did. She’s asks how she made him feel, and he says like he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. She makes a joke about marriage, they laugh, chapter ends.
Chapter 4: Liz is walking home from work one day, checking the news on her tablet, when she stumbles upon a troubling headline. “Hexuba Militia uncovered as a Barbarox front company.” She reads the story, which details how the Republic raided Hexuba headquarters and severely injured their CFO (Francis), who was revealed to be Fortis Comiter Malum, leader of the Barbarox. Before she has time to process this, she gets attacked by a couple of goons who came out of a nearby alley. She puts up a good fight, but they eventually mange to inject her with something, and she follows unconscious. She wakes up to find herself in some sort of spaceship, with Fortis sitting across the room from her. He’s been heavily injured by the attack, and is now sporting those cybernetics that were mentioned back in Steelhaven. He says that after everything that’s happened, he understands if she doesn’t want to stay with him. So he’ll give her a choice. Either stay with him and join the Barbarox, or take the ship he’s got set up to take her to the nearest Republic outpost. She chooses the latter option, and the story ends with her landing on that Republic outpost, telling the guards who greet her that she has quite the story to tell, then cutting back to the conversation with Corp.
Epilogue one: The first epilogue opens with Liz standing outside the Steelhaven, having just become it’s captain. Her inner monologue shows how badly the stuff with Fortis has affected her self esteem, before eventually deciding to view being a captain as a way to make up for her supposed mistakes.
Epilogue two: The second epilogue opens eight months after the Steelhaven disappeared into the warpgate. Fortis is still morning the loss of his love, before Doctor Decker comes in and says he’s made some exciting development with the alien flesh they stole that he thinks Fortis needs to see.
So, what do you guys think?
Last edited by Legotron123 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It sounds like it's got some promise, but if I had to point out something I would suggest that if it isn't going to end with a return from the flashback, then it shouldn't start as a flashback.

so... the Angel Drop should be fun. I think you guys have probably gathered what exactly it is.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

??????
*goes back and looks over post*
Huh. This is why you don’t write when you’ve only been awake for half an hour. Fixed.
Also, I’m guessing it’s a skydive from orbit.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yep. An Angel Drop is pretty much exactly that. It's a tactic that Angel Team specialized in and made both famous and mainstream. They would drop in from orbit, fighting the defenses with nothing but the armor on their back and the guns in their hands as they were in freefall. The landing could be used for shock tactics, stealth, or simply rapid deployment. Anti Air missiles cant lock on to a champion during an Angel drop, and anti air guns have a hard time hitting them reliably since they are much smaller than an aircraft. Since sustained fire would be required to take down a diving champion due to their shields and because the AA guns have a hard time hitting them consistently, Angel Drops are now a standard tactic for a hot combat deployment where AA guns are involved.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So... most of the team are wearing Section 8 style Recon Dropsuits then? :mrgreen:

(the suit is basically a fully functional ODST pod in powered armor form, those flaps are the decent control thrusters.)