Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bokoblin Ihop OOC

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:Clever plan. Though it’s going to make Liz’ speech about the Varians lack of honor in my next post sound kinda hollow, if her teammate is off violating the terms of their fight. Then again, the Shipmaster didn’t mention any rules against sneaking off, so never mind.
>Honor is a quaint, if misguided concept.
>A good reminder that even organic minds have vulnerable security exploits.

"Like I said, I prefer a stacked deck over a fair fight or a safe bet. what's that old human expression? All's fair in love and war?"

"Sorry, father never explained that word..."

"You three are an embarrassment to warriors everywhere... [BEEP!] parasites..."
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Shoot. Missclicked "send". I'll finish it up, just give me a bit.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was wondering why there was nothing for those of us on the command ship or in the train station.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fixed it.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I kinda wish I had another turn to debate with the Shipmaster before knocking him out, since I’d love to hear his response to Liz saying ”actually I do consider those species people, since I’ve served under several of them, and a rhino surgeon actually saved my life once.” Just throw him for a loop regarding how different her demension is from his.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

You can still say that just to utterly confuse him before knocking him out. :P
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i get the feeling that if Kobor were to bring a few to the other side, vanarians might get along with the Roki. what do you think CD?

"So, let me get this straight, you're a prey species to your genetic cousins, and not only are you fine with that, but you've made taunting and evading Kurii and Anraki hunters into a professional sport that more than half your galactic population aspire to take part in despite the mortality rate..."

"Yup. There's also a few human Big Game hunters that have been joining in in recent years after they got over their stupid taboos about what you 'cant' hunt."
Last edited by Buster on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I can imagine them thinking that's great and then immediately hunting the Roki to near-extinction. "Conservation" has yet to catch on in Varan society. Then there's the problem of Varanians catching some prey to raise as livestock. I can't imagine the Roki would like that.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

They've survived and thrived being chased across space longer than humans have had written word. They inhabit half of the Milky Way, making them the third most populous alliance species, right behind the Roka. (Synthetic Entities, Roka Collective, Roki, Kaal, Human, Kurii, Anraki, Avianus, Aieth, Tolmin, Naslsadh. in that order. unless you're counting number of sentient minds, then the roka go from 3.8 quintillion entities to 1 individual, and the Kaal go from hundreds of quadrillions down to a few thousand, putting both of them at the bottom of the scale.) Extinction would be no easy feat. Not saying impossible, it just might not be as straightforward as you make it sound.
On top of which the Anraki Coalition (the collective name for Rachus Anri, Rachus Kur, and Rachus Ro, as well as all of their colony worlds and hunting grounds) have very strict rules about what is and isn't legal hunting grounds. Breeding grounds are strictly off-limits to avoid population problems.

And while i'm on an infodump, they look like what would happen if a Horned Lizzard was five feet tall eleven long, had a T-rex's body type, and a razor sharp dorsal fringe. They're semi-predatory scavenging omnivores that need a warm environment with average 70% relative humidity or higher, and like to lurk in the water like crocodiles, when they're not migrating nomadically from system to system.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

O.K., I know his on sheet code name is Portal and I was going to use that.

Then I remembered he's wearing the hat and he's on the spot...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Not meaning to doublepost but...

The '1 minute later' is designed to allow Deske's response. And I figure the 'silly squad' (Sana and Seena) could move the plot along slightly by contacting the team on the ship this way.

Edited Sana's reply to Deske in.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was rereading some of the OOC posts, and I came across a post from Buster on page 23 about how Kobor doesn’t actually believe the Aspects are real because the scale is hard for him to grasp. That’s going to make that argument between him and Kolt rather interesting when it’s brought up. ”WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN THEM!?!?!?!? WE FOUGHT ONE!!!!!! IT TURNED A DEFEATED MECH INTO A SHADOWY HATE MONSTER!!!!! IT TOOK THE FORM OF MY WORST FOE AND SPOKE TO ME INSIDE MY BRAIN!!!!!!!”

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I JUST GOT A NEW JOB!

*ahem*
Legotron123 wrote:I was rereading some of the OOC posts, and I came across a post from Buster on page 23 about how Kobor doesn’t actually believe the Aspects are real because the scale is hard for him to grasp. That’s going to make that argument between him and Kolt rather interesting when it’s brought up. ”WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN THEM!?!?!?!? WE FOUGHT ONE!!!!!! IT TURNED A DEFEATED MECH INTO A SHADOWY HATE MONSTER!!!!! IT TOOK THE FORM OF MY WORST FOE AND SPOKE TO ME INSIDE MY BRAIN!!!!!!!”
My understanding is that Kobor and Talya recognize them as things that exist, but don't believe they are the omnipotent deities that they are or that they are literally manifestations of whatever they are. I feel that they will be convinced within the next few in-game days. Possibly even today.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just an FYI guys, my internet is being wonky, so I might not be able to post before work tomorrow. Maybe I’ll be able to post after I get home, but it’s likely I’ll be too tired to write by then.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know I don't normally post a second time after only one person posted, but I felt there were a couple things in Welsh's post that should be addressed more immediately and without advancing the plot and leaving others behind. In your responses, don't look at my last post, but at my previous post. Sorry if this threw anyone off.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

does the room we're in have fire sprinklers?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I just sort of assumed so since it's a fairly common fire suppression method.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Before anyone asks what the heck is up with Liz, remember how her character sheet mentions that if she stays in a form for too long, her mind starts changing to match her body? And have you noticed how she’s been acting a lot more confrontational and aggressive while she’s debating the Shipmaster? Yeah, I think you can put the pieces together. And before you point out how she spend much longer in Lewis’ form, they’re much more similar personality-wise, so the changes are much slower.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Nevermind, i probably should have read MT's part of the post before planning my own... for those that saw the pre-edit version ignore it.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kinda surprised it took this long for someone to point the main hole in Liz’ argument. She’d normally realize it a lot sooner herself, but CD has mentioned that Varanians aren’t as smart as humans, sooooooooo.....
Side note: this wasn’t something I originally had planned, but kinda swerved into after I realized the problem upon rereading Liz’ original rant.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

guys... you know there were only four, right? MT took out one, Tatiana took one out, Kolt took one out, and Kol has the last one pinned.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:guys... you know there were only four, right? MT took out one, Tatiana took one out, Kolt took one out, and Kol has the last one pinned.
Ah. Okay... Will edit.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

blind firing implies your'e not paying attention to where you're shooting, so kol's action is still valid, it just wont do anything cause of Ulrich's barriers.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:guys... you know there were only four, right? MT took out one, Tatiana took one out, Kolt took one out, and Kol has the last one pinned.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I’ll fix my post.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Added to my last.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hey, anyone want a hint towards some of the music I have played for the Warlord fight?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Is that the Cleric Beast from Bloodborne? It's an epic theme, but more fit for an ancient evil like Odium I would think.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Not bad, but I feel like music for this fight would be a bit more frantic. Desperate. Fitting for a fast paced, high stakes fight against something that not only can kill you, but will kill you. I remember hearing stuff I liked in Lego's BoH playlist, but I can't find the playlist anymore. :(
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:Is that the Cleric Beast from Bloodborne? It's an epic theme, but more fit for an ancient evil like Odium I would think.
Correct! While I definitely think that it fits Odium perfectly, it was the only song I could find that absolutely fit the, for lack of a better term, unholy abomination the Warlord has been built up to be. A cannibalistic mini-kaiju that absorbs the powers of those it eats, that is immune to all but the strongest blows, and who only get stronger the more you attack it. Plus, nothing says I can’t reuse it for the Odium fight later!
*goes to alter playlist*
Last edited by Legotron123 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:Correct! While I definitely think that it fits Odium perfectly, it was the only song I could find that absolutely fit the, for lack of a better turn, unholy abomination the Warlord has been built up to be. A cannibalistic mini-kaiju that absorbs the powers of those it eats, that is immune to all but the strongest blows, and who only get stronger the more you attack it.
*gets an idea*
*grins evilly*

Oh, I know a way to get the Warlord to deserve that fight music. Mwahahaha!
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Correct! While I definitely think that it fits Odium perfectly, it was the only song I could find that absolutely fit the, for lack of a better turn, unholy abomination the Warlord has been built up to be. A cannibalistic mini-kaiju that absorbs the powers of those it eats, that is immune to all but the strongest blows, and who only get stronger the more you attack it.
*gets an idea*
*grins evilly*

Oh, I know a way to get the Warlord to deserve that fight music. Mwahahaha!
.......NONE OF THIS IS MY FAULT!!!!
Also, since I had fun doing this, how about some music hints for a DIFFERENT upcoming fight, one that only CD knows about?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Got myself a twitter!

I plan to use it mostly to talk about RP stuff and things that pop into my head as I'm GMing. If you'd like to take a look, PM me. ^^

In other news, today was my first day at my new job. Mostly Orientation stuff and a bunch of paperwork. Really busy first day.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i have never understood the appeal of that platform.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:i have never understood the appeal of that platform.
And I have nothing to say on it either.

There is a danger to share too much, Cyber. Just look at all the people who've gotten in trouble over things they said years ago. Be careful of posting your thoughts. Some will take them out of contxt.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Eh, I use it to follow some people whose work I like, and to occasionally rant on how under appreciated Lauren Shiba is as a Power Ranger.
Also, is anyone else wondering what time of year it is in universe? For some reason I keep thinking it’s spring.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Buster wrote:i have never understood the appeal of that platform.
And I have nothing to say on it either.

There is a danger to share too much, Cyber. Just look at all the people who've gotten in trouble over things they said years ago. Be careful of posting your thoughts. Some will take them out of contxt.
You can relax about that, it isn't even technically a twitter for me. More for the Cyber character. I didn't even use any real info during it's creation. Heck, I set up a Cyber The Robot Dragon email just so I wouldn't link my real one to the account.

In addition, I don't really plan on using it for my personal life. It's more a place to discuss things that pop into my head while GMing and writing stories that other story writers and GMs might relate to. Also I kind of have been wanting to post replies on some of the funny/cool stuff friends have been showing me.
Legotron123 wrote:Eh, I use it to follow some people whose work I like, and to occasionally rant on how under appreciated Lauren Shiba is as a Power Ranger.
Also, is anyone else wondering what time of year it is in universe? For some reason I keep thinking it’s spring.
Close. It's fall. :P
October I think. It was mentioned when Kobor and Talya showed up first.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Ooo, that means I can do halloween jokes!
”Ah yes, I have heard of that holiday. I overheard a few people discussing it in the mess hall, and one of them told me it was when humans dressed up in the skins of fallen foes and go around demanding sweets from their neighbors. I think he was messing with me though.”

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

As interesting as the bit with tatiana's backstory is, there's nothing i can really contribute to it, so if you're waiting for me to post, you're wasting your time, as i have no material to post.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I was kind of waiting for Kobor and Talya mostly since I'd like to get them planet-side before the Warlord fight, but now that I think about it it might be better for them to show up after the fight has started anyway, so I'll write my post when I get back from work today. Might come late this evening because I'm going out to dinner with my family.
-Champion Motto