Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Buster »

Homebrew Psycho Rangers?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:Homebrew Psycho Rangers?
..............:D *scambles to thinking chamber to work on new villain idea*
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Yeah, along those lines. I was, more or less, trying to think of Power Rangers that Celican kids might like. Never mind the twenty foot long swords, see the claws sort of thing(!)

EDIT:- Creative fluids ACTIVATE! (I'll let Lego design the rest if they wish to as I know nothing about zords or Monster design)

All Rangers trained to around 1st black belt level - except, possibly, the Blue Ranger. All are teenagers (or twentysomethings who can pass for teenagers if you don’t look too hard.) Human equivalent Martial arts listed. The ‘controller’ and ‘the manager’ (a computer simulation of a dead hero and a 3ft 5inch tall Fennekin robot) summoned the team after the lead villain, Kolovash of the Antavan Monstrosities, escaped confinement and began attacking ‘the city’ with monsters.

The version sold to other worlds usually has an introduction segment to each part featuring a strange little robot that talks about the episode. This is to make up time following edited out violence.

Name:- Kraybie Thurso
Colour:- Crimson Team leader.
Race:- Celican
Weight – 200lb
Height: 6ft 1in
Male
Martial Art:- Krav Maga

The fearless leader of the team, more often killing the villain of the week than taking them down. Kolovash killed his sister in the opening episode when escaping confinement. Grim and often humourless (but sometimes with a devastating dry wit) Kraybie now defends the city from Kolovashs’ monsters whilst waiting for his chance to gut Kolovash.

Name:- Yasha Solva
Colour:- Yellow
Race:- Polar Celian
Weight: 140lb
Height: 5ft 9in.
Female
Martial Art:- Vale Tudo

She was visiting the city with her colony school when the Monstrosities attacked. She, along with the Blue Ranger, were chosen when they fought off several of the attacking creatures by themselves. (she ended most of the assailants). Her father was taken by the enemy and she’s not intent on going home without him. Perky and bright and has a hankering for lettuce that she tries to hide. Being a polar, her blood can cure the deadly Celican Flu virus.

Name:- Bolivar Houghton
Colour:- Blue
Race:- Rabbit
Weight:- 140lb
Height:- 5’10
Male
Martial Art:- Kickboxing

Believed by many viewers to be a cynical attempt to sell the show to other worlds.

Bolivar was in the same school party as Yasha and was wondering if she planned to eat him when they got separated from their multi-species school group on the trip to the city. He’s less deadly than the rest and more of the thoughtful type. He’s quite likely to suggest a less violent way to end the situations they face and, occasionally they listen to him. More often than not, they don’t. As the world has been sealed off until Kolovash is dealt with, he’s living at base. He doesn’t have much choice.

Name:- Sanna Grift
Colour:- Pink
Weight:- 148lb
Height:- 6’1
Female
Martial Art:- Eskrima

This is the hot girl of the group. The born partier who doesn’t like getting her claws chipped. She’s the swordsmistress of the group, being proficient with the short sword and dagger combination. She was with Kraybies’ sister when she was killed and was only left alive when Kolovash was surprised by a Police Officer shooting at him. She feels humiliated by that. She’s not used to being humiliated. She refers to her colour as 'blood pink'.

Name:- Darium Kole
Colour:- Jet Black
Weight:- 135lb
Height:- 5’10
Male
Martial Art:- Bacom

The Black Ranger is the street tough of the group. He’s grown up on the streets and is calloused by the experience. Chipped teeth, torn ear, fractured claws, less weight and more hidden weapons than you could shake a quiver at. He’s the master of deception and often not seen in the shadows as he stalks his prey. A little unruly and often the one to disagree with Kraybie (and get hit), his training is not formal but that does not mean you underestimate this street brawler. Plenty have. And less survived.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You’ve come to the right person Welsh! I’ve always been good at designing Power Rangers knockoffs.
The Monsters are each a combination of two different themes; a monster/creature from Celican folklore, and a type of martial art. I don’t know enough about the Celicans to properly write a folklore for them, but given how they’re a society that’s big on hunting, I imagine a lot of the “scarier” monsters would have a “hunter becomes the hunted” thing going on.
As for the Megazords, I don’t have enough to properly write them out right now, but I do have a pretty good idea for each of the Rangers Zords, and I should have them up by Sunday Evening, assuming nothing comes up to take my time.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Heh.

We need to be sure not to let this take over but, of course, with this ship being the way it is we have always got the possibility they're going to show up!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's been suggested that I put a description of the houses in the OOC since they are all supposed to be basically mass produced and identical. Each house has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, one living room, a kitchen, a hallway, a laundry room, and a room for storage. The three bedrooms are the master bedroom, and two spares to use for guests or kids/other residents.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Is there a replicator in the kitchen? Or will they have to cook for themselves?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

There is a replicator. However it doesn't cook the ingredients it prints, nor does it put them together. Cooking is done by the residents. Otherwise there would be no point to going out. Also they are based off of 3D printers being developed that print organic matter. Since those things use the cells' ability to replicate themselves, they can't print stuff that is cooked.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Just as long as it tastes right.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Wasn't is a running thing on startrek that the sequenced proteins of replicated food DON'T taste like the real thing? That everything replicated starts to taste similar after a while because the subtle variations from imperfections in the ingredients don't exist?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yes, but in BoH, the replicator is a bit more precise. It all comes down to the preparation.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

question; what's the total mass of the beacon?
I was messing around online and found an equation for figuring out what a celestial object's natural gravity field would be, and it's the only variable i can't find.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Well, I don't really know. I do know that it isn't a solid mass, and the material it's made of is lighter than steel. Also, several districts aren't actually in the Beacon. They are cut out of space and exist in their own little pocket dimensions like the safe house Hannabelle stays in.

I can't give you a definite mass though. I'm sorry.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So i'm guessing you're not the type that decides how big the drive section should be based on approximate TWR when designing ships then... was kinda hoping you might...

This will complicate things.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is TWR?

Also, I used to be interested in all of those calculations, but with a full time job and about two hours a day to three hours a day posting, I have no time at all to do calculations. I barely have the time to do the research I do get to. I would prefer to do this research, but again, I have no time.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Thrust to Weight Ratio. Could find the weight by doing [Beacon's size in m^3] x [Weight of "Lighter than Steel" per m^3].

Just so ya know, I did the 20,000,000 cubic miles. Turned it into meters. Multiplied that by the weight of one cubic meter of aluminum because it's "lighter than steel" but still structurally sound I guess.

Edit: 216,745,450,000,000,000,000 kg. There's your weight for the external volume of the Beacon. That's if it were solid all the way through though. So it's pretty wrong. Can I divide that by 10 and subtract the answer from the initial weight since maybe 1/10th of that space is walls and support structures? Is that how math works?
For reference though, the Earth weighs about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Kg.

Edit 2: The Beacon would have a really wonky gravitational field since it's not a sphere. It'd be pulling you almost sideways at the ends, how fun. If I had to make a hasty guess I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of <1m/s^2 and probably <0.5m/s^2. The ship is smaller than Pluto and Pluto's gravitational acceleration is 0.62m/s^2.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if deske's numbers are correct, and i'm not misunderstanding the equation, 0.09G to outside objects, assuming their distance is equivalent to that from the middle of the ship to the bow.

thats 2/3 the gravity of THE MOON.

inside we've got artificial gravity so it's a non issue, but on the outside, you go anywhere near a planet and you'll start warping the orbit of any satellites present.
Deske

Post by Deske »

You could probably do an orbit outside of the moons orbit but within Earth's SOI and be fine OR better yet, you could just shift your orbit so it's on the opposite side of Earth that the moons on.
Yeah. Option #2 is the best option. You'd keep the Earth's tides in sync and I doubt you'd be close enough to mess up satellite orbits.
Or would that shift the barycenter of the Earth, Moon and you? That could be fun. OOH, what if it shifted it further into the Earth? But just by a bit. I'm pretty sure the Earth "wobbles" slightly because of the moons gravity tugging on it. Would this wobble be reduced if the Beacon entered an orbit on the opposite side of the Earth?
Do I really want to get into n-body problems?

.... I wonder how close you could get before the Beacon's SOI started to interact with the satellites.
Last edited by Deske on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:thats 2/3 the gravity of THE MOON.
That's why when it was orbiting Earth, it was the same distance from Earth as the Moon, and as Deske said and I mentioned early in the RP. Any closer, and gravity would start causing some major problems.

That being said, it's probably lower mass than that, as given the size of the city it's volume being 10% walls sounds a bit high, though I don't really know for sure.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

That's a fun thought. If there weren't a gravity neutralizer, the tides would get higher and lower every time the Beacon entered Earth's SOI.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:I'm pretty sure the Earth "wobbles" slightly because of the moons gravity tugging on it. Would this wobble be reduced if the Beacon entered an orbit on the opposite side of the Earth?
as far as i was aware planets without moons tend to have less stable rotations. like having a moon acts kinda like a counterweight to something else, balance things. not sure about that though.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

You know what? I'm tired. The ship can manipulate gravity on it's inside to give it artificial gravity, who's to say the ship doesn't have something on the outside to counter the ship's natural gravitational pull? Feel free to calculate and theorize about the mass and natural gravity of the ship, but I'm going to say it gets counteracted by a device the ship has on it's exterior and that the distance it stays away from planets is because of the risk of what might happen if that thing stops working.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Buster wrote:
Deske wrote:I'm pretty sure the Earth "wobbles" slightly because of the moons gravity tugging on it. Would this wobble be reduced if the Beacon entered an orbit on the opposite side of the Earth?
as far as i was aware planets without moons tend to have less stable rotations. like having a moon acts kinda like a counterweight to something else, balance things. not sure about that though.
I am always up for being wrong. I just figured that if it didn't have a moon pulling on it then it wouldn't be "orbiting off center." To the google!
CyberDragon wrote:You know what? I'm tired. The ship can manipulate gravity on it's inside to give it artificial gravity, who's to say the ship doesn't have something on the outside to counter the ship's natural gravitational pull? Feel free to calculate and theorize about the mass and natural gravity of the ship, but I'm going to say it gets counteracted by a device the ship has on it's exterior and that the distance it stays away from planets is because of the risk of what might happen if that thing stops working.
Why have it if you're just going to stay outside of the "Dangerous Range." Time to drag this conversation into Economics and how the weight mitigated by not having it increases fuel efficiency thus lowering costs!
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Deske wrote:Why have it if you're just going to stay outside of the "Dangerous Range." Time to drag this conversation into Economics and how the weight mitigated by not having it increases fuel efficiency thus lowering costs!
Something the size of Beacon should really have something like that out of necessity. Hoping for the best by staying out of range, while making sure the worst never happens by preparing for it. Failsafes fail and protocols can be broken. Besides if they didn't have it the Planetary Super Alliance or whatever (I forget) would probably prohibit the Beacon from entering their Space space. Whats the space equivalent to air space?
Deske

Post by Deske »

I feel like it would be "Airspace" but it would be based on a bodies SOI. Want to land on the moon? Contact Moon Tower on 128.200. Leaving Moon SOI for Earth's SOI? Contact Earth Tower on 120.950.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm really looking forward to getting Eira into the BoH universe and introducing her to our wonderful cast of characters. ^^

Depending on how fast my RGV post gets a response, we might see her in BoH within the next few turns.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry it’s taking me so long to finish the Not-Megazords for the Kill Rangers, I kinda had a busy weekend. There is one thing I’d like your opinion on before I continue working on it though. Do you particularly care whether or not I describe how the Not-Zords transform to make up the combined mode? It’ll make write this post a lot easier if I don’t have to worry about writing out how each of the fifteen Not-Zords (3 for each ranger) I have planned become their respective part of the Not-Megazord.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I don't think it matters for now.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Even being polite involves hunting... Basically he's saying they look well. Obviously they've done well in hunting to look so healthy.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"The reaction is a sort of mental defense he's built up over the years to seeing what he saw in there.
oh wow... machine boy doesn't have a clue...

it's not a mental defense, it's a conditioned response. i haven't been referring to removing it as 'deprogramming' just for fun.
a more accurate analogy would have been the breed-specific artificial instincts in dogs, or Sleeper-Agent conditioning...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fine. I'll fix it.

Edit: There. Fixed.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that was commentary not a request for a correction.
more of a 'oh, thats why he's been coming at this sideways.' moment on my part.

lighten up dude, :D
Deske

Post by Deske »

If you need helping "lightening up," try using Gray instead of bold and black.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m actually looking forward to the discussion Kolt and Talbor are going to have over this. Hivemind was relatively polite about disagreeing with them about the whole “we have to genocide them before they genocide us” and “we brainwashed ourselves so we don’t have to feel guilty about all the killing we’ve done” thing. Kolt is going to blow his stack off at them, since those ideas are the antithesis to everything he believes a hero is. It’s going to get even worse when he finds out how dismissive they are about trying to talk the ghrekall down, since Lila was all about peaceful resolutions before her death, and Kolt’s been trying to do stuff like that to honor her memory. Plus, if Kobor’s still sufficiently mad from arguing with Hivemind, I could easily see him saying something along the lines of Lila being a fool before believing in things like that, and that would set off Kolt in a way I’ve never had a chance to write before.
Long story short, Kolt and Talbor are absolutely going to have a fight (verbal or physical) over their opposing beliefs, and I’m really looking forward to writing it.
Also Deske, that was a terrible pun, and you should be ashamed.

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika doesn't exactly get along with her mother at the moment.. Sahlia is proud of Rika for her acheivements and her medical career, but she believes that Rika is making a big mistake with joining the champions and is quite bitter about it. She also dislikes being late, even by a little.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Kolt, I'm a mercenary. I have never once called myself a hero. In my experience, there are no heroes."

"Then she was lucky fate took her while that kind of idealism was still intact. Reality has a way of crushing the souls of people like that."
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”Reality didn’t have to, Allsight did. And I still tried to forgive him. Because even in her lowest point, she still tried to help others see a better way. Unlike you.”
On a side note, one thing I could absolutely see Kolt saying after their fight, but what might be taking things a bit too far, is I don’t want you near my daughter anymore.

Deske

Post by Deske »

As I player I am immensely interested in how Kolt maintains his view of her as "his daughter." I mean, he didn't really provide for her birth so much as get in the way of what would probably have been a rather routine "birth" for a Kaal, besides the fact that it occurred way faster than it should have. I just think it's kind of adorable. It feels a little misguided and I get the reasoning behind it, I think, but it's still just adorable.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

He’s not really sure whether it’s more accurate to call her his clone or his daughter, so he’s just going with what feels more natural. And yeah, one thing I haven’t really had a chance to proper state yet is that Kolt has a bit of a parental instinct. It’s why it hurt him so much each time he lost a Ward, they were like his kids.

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

I'm intrigued by what Tatiana would think of the Twins if she learned their thought process of it all. Being a mercenary herself she might view them as a liability at best due to her own experiences and strange morals, ethics and thought processes. It really depends on the Twins attitude when handling being questioned on the matter towards the team, as its hard, and easy, to fall down the slippery slope into her THAT person list. Its honestly hard to tell, if only because Tatiana, like most of my characters, kinda has a mind of her own on who and what she likes or dislikes and how she feels.