Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

For your first point, you forget how friggin' strong Varanians can get. A high ranking officer can do a great deal with brute force alone. Not many materials can stand up to a stubborn and angry Varanian officer who hasn't been skipping arm day. The Shipmaster, for example, is strong enough to force his way through just about any obstacle that can possibly be forced. Thus, a perfectly strong locking mechanism that will hold against any ordinary individual or even the ship's thrusters can still fail when being forced open or smashed apart in an emergency by super-humanly strong characters like the Shipmaster.

Second point is valid. I'll edit the post. That said, Wyvern's complaint that most of his fighting style requires air would still be valid except for I just realized that the Varanian ships would probably have environment shields anyway so a hole in the bay door wouldn't depressurize the hanger anyway and now his argument is invalid so I'll just go back and fix that in a bit.

Third point is also valid. I missed that part of the post or just plain forgot. I noticed you mentioned a "conspicuous lack of computer stuff" in my last post so I wanted to throw in a little something or reason that might be, that might double as a light added challenge. The confirmation dialogue in a foreign language was the thing that popped into mind as a fairly simple solution.

As for the lack of security from this point on in the hardware of the computer system, chalk it up to the fact that I'm a software person with only basic knowledge of hardware, no knowledge of hardware security, and no time or energy to look it up with the combined time it takes to hunt for a job and spending two hours sometimes a day writing BoH posts.

I'll go back and patch the mistakes in a few minutes.

EDIT: Fixed.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sanas' little tale is basically correct. A fair few wrong details though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beams
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Deacon Of Ropes WOO

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:Third point is also valid. I missed that part of the post or just plain forgot. I noticed you mentioned a "conspicuous lack of computer stuff" in my last post so I wanted to throw in a little something or reason that might be, that might double as a light added challenge. The confirmation dialogue in a foreign language was the thing that popped into mind as a fairly simple solution.

As for the lack of security from this point on in the hardware of the computer system, chalk it up to the fact that I'm a software person with only basic knowledge of hardware, no knowledge of hardware security, and no time or energy to look it up with the combined time it takes to hunt for a job and spending two hours sometimes a day writing BoH posts.
from an external standpoint, cyberwarefare is all about keeping the attacker from entering the system and getting past access-limiting measures in the first place, because once they're in things get loads more complicated. so long as they can't access the hardware itself through either low-level code or physical tampering, this can often be run by automated software.

from an internal standpoint once they're in automated measures tend not to be good enough anymore, you want either a person or an AI handling things here, as subroutines alone can only respond reactively. at this stage it's a chess game of trying to predict what they're after, and either hide that information from them, or intercept/counter the commands they're sending. alternately, they might be trying to use hardware 'A' as a back-door into other hardware systems on the same network (what talya's doing), in which case it becomes a matter of finding the vectors of attack they're using and blocking them before they can gain access or block you from interfering with their efforts.

that said, with their primary opposition being hivemind, i can see a 'cant win, don't try' mentality towards cyberwarfare possibly emerging. safer to just avoid that front as much as possible than to let your enemy fight on his home turf.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A bit of background on the Shipmaster.

The Shipmaster is a highly respected leader of the Varanian navy. He is respected not only for his sheer strength, but also for his sense of honor and his willingness to treat the soldiers under his command with respect, even the nameless ones. At least, he treats nameless Varanians with more respect than most people would give to their average toaster, which is a lot more respect than they are used to receiving. He tends to stand as a voice of reason for the Warlord, protecting the soldiers under his command the more unhinged the Warlord got. He still respects the Warlord, but deep down he is afraid that the Warlord is rapidly going insane from his powers. At the moment, he is not sure what to do. He will not turn on the Warlord unless he is absolutely sure both that the Warlord is totally unhinged, and that he has someone else strong enough to keep his forces from tearing themselves apart in a power struggle. His challenge is meant to determine if the Champions qualify for that second half of the equation, as he has already deemed the first half is true.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Since we’re about to fight the Shipmaster, I figured now would be a good time to post the music I’ve selected for this fight. I’ve picked out:
This remix of Fighting of the Spirit.
This song from Angry Birds: Transformers.
The Maverick theme from Megaman X5.
I went for more electronic sounding themes for this guy, since we’re fighting in a hanger, and he’s in charge of a giant spaceship.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry for double posting, but I’m getting surgery done on my feet today, so I might not be able to post for a little. Just an FYI.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Best of luck with that, Lego!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Legotron123 wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I’m getting surgery done on my feet today, so I might not be able to post for a little. Just an FYI.
Hope the surgeons keep you on your to...

WHO THREW THAT TOMATO?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Nope OO7

Post by Buster »

*tosses an overripe squash next*
Get well soon.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I hope the surgery went well, Lego. Here's hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I didn’t get to do it. I couldn’t stop freaking out about the needles and after an hour they just gave up. I’ve just been spending the day sitting at home feeling pathetic over it.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That's rough...

You'd think they'd have a way of easing a fear of needles. It's a pretty common one...

Did you reschedule the surgery?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

My mother got some medicine that was SUPPOSED to help me calm down, but it didn’t do jack squat. Plus it was a really small clinic, so they didn’t have anesthesia to knock me out. And it’s going to be a while before I even get a chance to reschedule, due to reasons I don’t want to explain. So I’m going to be stuck with these ingrown toenails for a while longer.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ouch. :(

Sorry to hear that, Lego.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I just feel bad for wasting their time, and I feel pathetic for not being able to get it done, since that procedure was 50% of the reason I’m in Michigan right now.

Deske

Post by Deske »

Should try a few helpings of NyQuil next time. Probably doesn't thin the blood or anything, might knock you out enough so that they can stab you with a needle. Plus if it does knock you out all the way, you get to sleep and what could be better than sleep?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Legotron123 wrote:Since we’re about to fight the Shipmaster, I figured now would be a good time to post the music I’ve selected for this fight. I’ve picked out:
This remix of Fighting of the Spirit.
This song from Angry Birds: Transformers.
The Maverick theme from Megaman X8.
I went for more electronic sounding themes for this guy, since we’re fighting in a hanger, and he’s in charge of a giant spaceship.
Just reminding everyone of the music I picked for this fight, now that it’s started proper.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I think the third one goes best with the Shipmaster fight.

Also I like how you've started a playlist called "Music for BoH". Having something referencing and designed for this game on Youtube makes it feel like this humble little game is just a bit more legit.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I started it because I was having trouble remembering which songs I had picked for which fights. I figured puting them in a list would help. Side note: I picked that third one because it’s my favorite Maverick theme from the X series.
EDIT: though apparently I mislabeled it. It’s the Maverick theme from X5, not X8.

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bacon Of Harp OOPS

Post by Buster »

bizare art style regression asside, i'm personally more fond of the zero/ZX games. speaking of which...
Last edited by Buster on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:bizare art style regression asside, i'm personally more fond of the zero/ZX games. speaking of which...
Yeah, I heard that for the first time last week, and immediately knew I had find a spot for it here. Haven’t worked it out yet, but I’ll find something.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:I started it because I was having trouble remembering which songs I had picked for which fights. I figured puting them in a list would help. Side note: I picked that third one because it’s my favorite Maverick theme from the X series.
EDIT: though apparently I mislabeled it. It’s the Maverick theme from X5, not X8.
So I assume then that the order of the playlist is the order of the boss fights the music matches with? The first one definitely goes well with the demonic mech fight.

On a side note, that really was the high point of this game it feels like. A three staged (technically 4 if you count the pre-fight) battle with an actual loosing condition against a giant demon that was also a killer robot? The Warlord fight has a lot to live up to, and I'm honestly worried about whether or not it's going to be up to the standard that the mech fight set. Then again, there hasn't really been a fully fledged boss since the Mech, so who knows.

I'm just kinda thinking aloud here.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:I started it because I was having trouble remembering which songs I had picked for which fights. I figured puting them in a list would help. Side note: I picked that third one because it’s my favorite Maverick theme from the X series.
So I assume then that the order of the playlist is the order of the boss fights the music matches with? The first one definitely goes well with the demonic mech fight.
Oh no, those are all themes I have planned for upcoming fights. Or, more specifically, they’re what I’ve (currently, might change one or two) selected for the Warlord fight. First three are for if we have to survive him, latter three are for if we get to fight him in the Predator.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm honestly unsure of which is going to be the case right now. I might have to keep Predator out of this because with June as a passenger, he's a bit OP. I either have to keep Predator + June out of the Warlord fight, or I have to keep June out of the Warlord fight.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bagel Of Hoop OOC

Post by Buster »

regarding future boss fights, consistency of quality is more important than one-upping yourself.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Very true. I'm in the process of developing the mechanics for the Warlord fight. There are a lot of unknowns I have to take into account. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it fun. One thing I know is that the Warlord will keep you on your toes. He's more dangerous than he looks, and he looks like a T-Rex ate a steroid factory.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

For those that don't know, THUNDERBIRDS was a 1960's 'supermarionation' series created by master puppeteer Gerry Anderson for British TV with US production values. The outfits looked like this:-

It has recently had a CGI version made (still very impressive) and here are the titles:-

Titles

Classic titles
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mostly know them from that 2003 movie that didn’t focus at all on the Thunderbirds, instead focusing on their kids instead. The ship designs were cool though.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

In case you haven't noticed, Hivemind takes his first rule VERY seriously, and he takes hatred, bitterness, anger, or bloodlust VERY seriously. Considering his brother was the avatar of love, and he saw his brother get stabbed in anger and presumably killed by someone who was supposed to be his friend and ally, he has very good reason to take it seriously. As such, if he feels there is a risk someone might succumb to any of those vices, he will call them out for it. Mostly, he's hoping to alert them to how serious the situation is so they can better themselves. It doesn't always work that way exactly...
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Side note: Liz’s shapeshifter dress is more of a bodysuit with dress characteristics than a normal dress. Like, imagine this:
0F3D32BC-C457-4260-A173-C1A1A52EECE5.jpeg
0F3D32BC-C457-4260-A173-C1A1A52EECE5.jpeg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 20969 times
as a purple and black bodysuit. I used the term dress because it’s shorter, and because I know nothing about women’s clothing, and couldn’t tell you the proper term for what I wanted if I tried.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'm having fun with Sana/Seena dialogue. Sana's a fun character to write for, especially when everyone's so serious.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Beagle Of Hope, OOF!

Post by Buster »

lego, that is by far the strangest refrence image in here.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Everything else showed too much skin for it to be easily imagined as a bodysuit, so you’re stuck with the zebra stripes. Also, thanks, I try.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Incidentally, we're not just making these plot twists up as we go along.

There are AT LEAST two PM's involved first.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Plot twists never come fully out of nowhere in this game. Nearly every major thing that happens is pre-planned and thought out to make sure it fits with the pre-established rules of the universe it's set in.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Incidentally, we're not just making these plot twists up as we go along.

There are AT LEAST two PM's involved first.
Only two? There’s a thing coming up for Kolt’s story that I’ve been planning since at least last October. Me and Cyber have planned out some stories that, at our current pace, won’t happen until at least 2021. Granted, most of them are currently just basic outlines, but we’ve still got them planned.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sometimes people bring up ideas for what they want to do in their next post or an upcoming post. If it makes sense, or solves some hanging loose ends, I'll approve of it and we'll build on it then and there.

Also, one of the things I discussed with Welsh were the general rules of a Varanian Challenge. Most of the rules are set when the challenge is made, and agreed upon by the combatants. Some are consistent, however. For example, you are not allowed to call in for external support or bring anyone into the fight who was not initially part of the challenge. One of the things I didn't quite mention is that during a challenge, all participants are considered of equal status until the challenge decides who is stronger, and thus who has the higher status.

There are a few things that result from this. You cannot order your opponent to throw the fight, for one thing. Onlookers may not be ordered to aid one side or the other. Another is, as the Shipmaster stated, Varanian combatants can't eat their opponents. The species is known for cannibalistic tendencies, but their odd way of defining what makes a person a person means they don't actually think of it as cannibalistic. However, because combatants in an official Challenge are of equal status, eating your opponent is considered cannibalistic as well as dirty fighting and is considered breaking the rules of an official challenge. Varanians see themselves as hunters and alpha predators, but they will treat you with respect if they see you as a person.

Another thing about a challenge is that it isn't winner take all and looser loose all. How close the fight is also matters. If you challenge a Varanian and loose, but just barely and you fought by the rules, then you will still be treated with respect, being placed just below the victor in terms of status. The same thing goes for war and invasions. Varanians almost universally win in an invasion (with the notable exception being humanity due to the large proportion of super-powered citizens they encountered), but the longer the invasion takes and the harder the natives fought, the more likely they will be treated as citizens of the occupied planet as opposed to slaves or prey. That said, only one species on record has ever fought back so hard as to be considered first class citizens when their world was ultimately captured.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bee-coin Of Hope OOC

Post by Buster »

i think you misunderstood talya's intent. it wasn't "find the nearest one" it was "give it every thing it needs to put it together and turn it on, and push this instruction set to every single replicator/nanofab on the repair carrier and hope atleast one of the relay coppies activates and seizes shipwide control before someone can stop the assembly process."
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Clever plan. Though it’s going to make Liz’ speech about the Varians lack of honor in my next post sound kinda hollow, if her teammate is off violating the terms of their fight. Then again, the Shipmaster didn’t mention any rules against sneaking off, so never mind.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:i think you misunderstood talya's intent. it wasn't "find the nearest one" it was "give it every thing it needs to put it together and turn it on, and push this instruction set to every single replicator/nanofab on the repair carrier and hope atleast one of the relay coppies activates and seizes shipwide control before someone can stop the assembly process."
I didn't really know what to put. That is a clever plan. I'll see about fixing my post.

I'm actually really excited for the next post I make.
-Champion Motto