HPU: Applegate OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

valerio

Re: HPU: Applegate OOC

Post by valerio »

kurowolfe wrote:Val, Mikan have not yet offered a lollipop to Hubert, the vanilla lavender one is in his maw xD
I'll re-edit my post to give Hubert one, but the old quoted version will be in your old post, I hope it's okay.

Also, I've added Buster and Duster into the cheat sheet, but my internet is super unstable atm, so I'll post that version up later
Oh, I had misread it. Sorry, it's been 3 days with insomnia, and it tends to affect me. Thank you for your patience
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

sorry to hear that you're having insomnia vale , that is bad , I hope you'll get better soon :(
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mickey's actually not allowed to have sugar. But no one knows that, hehehe.

It has the same affect as it does Mac from FHFIF.

Holy carp! You ok, Vale?
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Oh dear, hope you get well soon Val!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Thank you guys. I am insomniac since I was I child, and sometimes it lasts some days in a row. And it *is* upsetting when I have to get up at 5am to go to work, after 3 hours of sleep.
Today I feel I little better. Cross fingers, happy thoughts
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I heard listening to calming music usually helps.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I wish I could help Val, but I'm kinda afflicted with insomnia as well. If it gets worse, try talking to a specialized doctor. You have any strategies to help alleviate the symptoms?

[ADDED]: So... Mickey is out for a while? I did want to let Mikan give a lollipop to her just for fun :D

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Okay, brent's (and a few other people's) last response is kinda confusing me. I get that HP! characters have more resistance to injury than the real thing, but every cat I've owned has at least appeared to have (physically) sensitive ears. So i'd have to imagine that that would hurt WAY more for them than it would for a person. i mean, ours are pretty thick and fixed in place, theirs are much more flexible and thin enough that in the right lighting they look translucent, and doing that hurts for us.

yet everyone's reacting as if that was rude, rather than causing an injury.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

And hence, the furry dilemma continues. I actually assumed a human level of pain tolerance in that area. Also, Mickey did not elaborate much of the pain aspect, more like an annoyance, so that's the description I'll work with as well.

In any case, I may not be able to post today, still recovering from diarrhea and fatigue. See you guys later tonight

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

mine can be explained by: Tara's dead, and as such has to compare that pain with the pain of her death. plus has never had her ears pulled since she was a stray.
maybe Eon and Ion have never had their ears pulled either and don't know it would hurt.

or I just didn't think much of it and since no one else really made a big deal of it I went with it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Liily has no clue what happened. All she can surmise is that Mickey's owner dragged her away. Ray is obviously not present and so couldn't know what was happening either.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Due to a major computer problem and being busy in real life , Marine Fox has informed me that he's now temporarily unable to post , he'll hopefully get back pretty soon , but for now , not yet . He also told me that to keep things moving , I may post for Duke , his character , in his place until he gets back . So if I'm allowed , I will be posting for his character soon . If I'm allowed of course .
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

you're allowed.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mickey has one of the most tragic past of my characters. I'll tell anyone who's interested, but I'll spare you half the bowl of feels.

Mickey is, indeed, a schizophreniac*. She hears and sees things that aren't there. She developed it after [insert backstory].
My characters!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:you're allowed.
thank you Brent :)
Mickey wrote:Mickey has one of the most tragic past of my characters. I'll tell anyone who's interested, but I'll spare you half the bowl of feels.

Mickey is, indeed, a schizophreniac*. She hears and sees things that aren't there. She developed it after [insert backstory].
aww , that's too bad , I feel sorry for her . I would like to read her backstory if I can though :)
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The shadows are hallucinations, something that comes with schizophrenia. But since Mickey has a mental connection to the ghost of her dead parents, the hallucination have their personalities and are, technically, being controlled by Mickey's parents through a telepathic line she doesn't know she has.
My characters!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, I kinda understand why Hubert called Japan Wakoku, but Mikan's not that bright of a mustelid xD

Still, that's quite the reference you made there Val

valerio

Post by valerio »

kurowolfe wrote:Well, I kinda understand why Hubert called Japan Wakoku, but Mikan's not that bright of a mustelid xD
Still, that's quite the reference you made there Val
yey!
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Given Rena's in another room, I figure I'll let the others in my current circle take a few passes and step back in when I feel is a good moment. Especially if it's an awkward one.

Also, sorry for the delay on the announcement, but I've been hype over one of the games I play putting out a massive update, so I've been a bit absent... pretty much everywhere /but/ there. Hype's winding down though, so I'll be a bit more present.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

ah I see , it's fine Rena ^^
Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

Hello!

I'm new to these forums, and this seems to be the most 'Housepets" of the RPs, so I'd like to submit a character to play. Haven't really given her much of a background, though... but really, who needs one prior to moving into the neighborhood. Maybe I'll nail one down as I play her. After all, it's not like anyone in the comic has established backgrounds prior to their introductions!

Character Name: Pico Degallo Rotella

Color: Some tone of purple, hopefully. Or green.

Type: Main

Species/Breed: Common shorthaired cat.

Neighbourhood: Applegate?

Appearance: Pico is a common tortiseshell housecat, with bright white fur along her belly, limbs, and chin, while her back, head, and outsides of her arms and legs are a rich mix of black streaked with orange. She has a thin and athletic build, and is about as tall as a young human child. Her eyes are a vivid green. She has several break-away collars, all in different colors with her name and identification printed on a simple embossed band against the collar, instead of a dangling tag. These are more likely to be found on fences, in trees, and otherwise scattered around the neighborhood than they are to be found around her neck.

Personality: Pico really gets around. No - really! She is extremely active when she's not napping, and enjoys exploring new places and meeting new people. She seems to have little to no regard for personal spaces, and is prone to using others as a platforms for her escapades... and when not on one of her adventures, she seems to be adverse to NOT being in contact with someone else. She also tends to be quite flighty and capricous, avoiding contact with those who've earned her short-lived ire, and instantly pouncing on and cuddling up to anyone she likes. Also... she likes to sing (Her favorite song being "Stray Cat Strut" - and envy or pity any black and orange stray tomcats she meets!)

Other notes:
She has been spayed.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats: Above average all around.
- Strength: 6
- Perception: 6
- Endurance: 6
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 6
- Agility: 6
- Luck: 6
(Because I can't be bothered to give her any clear strengths or weaknesses)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ooh I love "Stray Cat Strut"! Brian Setzer is great!
Sartharina wrote:Haven't really given her much of a background, though... but really, who needs one prior to moving into the neighborhood. Maybe I'll nail one down as I play her. After all, it's not like anyone in the comic has established backgrounds prior to their introductions!
I always recommend having a background. I find that the more you know about a character and the more detail you can put into a character sheet, the easier it is to play said character because you have a better understanding of how they'll think and act.

That said, it's not a requirement that you do a back story. It's up to Brent as GM if he wants you to have one or not.

Other than that I see no problems except the stats. It's always best to give a character some strengths and weaknesses since this makes them more realistic and more relatable. That goes not just for the RPs but for any creative writing you might want to do.

Again, it's up to Brent to decide if he wants that changed or not. He is the GM of Applegate after all.

One other thing to be aware of. Applegate is designed to be like housepets but with one small difference. Many of the characters here have magical powers of some description. The powers tend to be somewhat limited though and not every pet has powers. So it's up to you how you want to factor that into your character sheet, if at all.

So yeah, them's my thoughts.

Welcome to Applegate!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

Alright. Well, I'll probably work on those tomorrow, then.

Oh yeah... I'm not sure where to put it, but she's distinctly Latino/Hispanic. Her father/owner's name is Rico (And he's a single-owner).
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that would probably go in the other notes section.

and Housepets has the celestial beings and Tarot and Sabrina have psychic abilities, I don't think our level of magic is that different from HP :P

as for the character, she looks fine. I agree with roo that a backstory (even a very simple one) and some strengths and weaknesses will make the character better, I'm willing to accept her as is.

as long as no one objects in the next 24 hours, you can join in.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I'm okay with her not having any backstories. I kinda think they're not that important in the long run unless you intentionally wanted to create a very deep character.

Green light from me~

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I ain't got no problems. Green light!
My characters!
Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

I also wrote up a sheet for Pico's owner. No SPECIAL stats, because he's not special.

Character Name: Rico Rodriguez Rotella

Color: Grey, or contrast of Pico.

Type: Minor

Species/Breed: Human

Neighbourhood: Applegate

Appearance: Rico is a young, tall man of Hispanic descent, with short black hair and dark brown eyes. He usually wears a set of lightweight khaki shorts, a white, often dirty or stained undershirt, black socks, and heavy steel-toed workboots. On Sundays, he wears a cleaner and nicer set of khaki shorts, a polo shirt, and black dress shoes.

Personality: Rico is largely reclusive, only venturing outside his home to call Pico, go to work, or go shopping for critical items. Aside from that, he's something of a geek, being just as much a fan of the Pridelands series as his cat (if not moreso!), and he spends a significant chunk of his paycheck on Pridelands Lego Sets, which completely dominate his apartment. He is extremely close to his cat. He also tends to be lazy and unambitious

Other notes:
He's Pico's owner
He works in a factory in Blue River
He has two economy cars - a blue 2000 Toyota Civic and white 2003 Ford Focus - If one breaks down, he has a spare.

I think I'm going to write a big post-thingy to handle the move to Applegate, and use it to explore the background and relationship between Pico and Rico.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yes that could work :)
although , we only need the character sheet for the pet , since she's the main character you'll be controlling . Humans are considered NPC , so they don't really need that :).

I have no actually problem with the character herself , but like others already said , I think a little strength and weaknesses would be better for her :)
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

No objections from me. Though for strengths and weaknesses ideas, I'd put more into charisma and agility, and just a little less in strength and luck. Since that's what she sounds like from her description.
Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

Can I get a brief synopsis of where everyone is and what's going on, and who's where?

As far as I can tell, the RP is taking place in the Infinite Featureless Plane of Disembodied Dialogue.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Everyone is pretty much in the library; Buster, Ion/Eon, Hayzl/Lydia, Tara, and Lyn are near the front... Everyone else is split between upstairs and further near the back of the bookstore.
Edit: Mikan, Hubert, Mickey, Miles, Lilly, and Martin are more in the back... While Serenade, Duke, Ray and Rena are upstairs.
Could be wrong though...
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

bookstore, actually.
and I didn't really say it but Tara just floated back towards Hubert and Miles.

everything else looks right. we should probably break up this group a bit soon, having everyone in one place is not ideal.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Close, Buster is actually standing in the doorway. i never had her actually walk further inside.

Also, Sartharina, why are you quoting valerio? it's unnecessary. We usually only do that when reacting or responding to the quoted character/player, but your post appears to be an intro. Speaking of which, which house is yours? there's a map on page 1 of this thread, with a list of claimed properties below it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:everything else looks right. we should probably break up this group a bit soon, having everyone in one place is not ideal.
Wasn't that supposed to have happened already? the neighbourhood tour thing?
I mean that's what I've been waiting for, is it still happening?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, it's supposed to happen, but Hazyl sort of pulled people back, then more things happened to keep us there.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

Buster wrote:Also, Sartharina, why are you quoting valerio? it's unnecessary. We usually only do that when reacting or responding to the quoted character/player, but your post appears to be an intro. Speaking of which, which house is yours? there's a map on page 1 of this thread, with a list of claimed properties below it.
Largely as a joke. He mentioned a malevolent force awakening, and I figured that's a good cue as any to have Pico wake up. :lol:
(And anyone who'd argue that Pico is NOT some sort of malevolent force is clearly not a mouse or rat, and has yet to be knocked down by a flying, energetic feline that's decided they'd make a good "Launch point B" to get from Point A to Point C). No, I was not thinking of subverting any dark and ominous plots when I joined the RP... but with an opportunity like this, it's too funny of an idea for me to NOT try to play with it.

And as for house... Eh... House C on Oak Street looks good.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

that is actually a good joke , I like that actually :lol: .
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, that's prety clever. :lol: I completely missed that when i read it.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Are there any spots left? There certainly isn't a specific reason I'm asking, I assure you! :D
My characters!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yes I believe we have at least one open slot
I need to take stock of all our active players soon.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

That's wonderful! I hope it can stay up for a while.
My characters!