New coloring style

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Shyanne

New coloring style

Post by Shyanne »

I don't know if there is already a thread about this but i thought that we could talk about Rick's new coloring style, or rather his experimenting with the colors or whatnot. I really like this new coloring style, it's very mellow and makes the art looks "soft". It seems to give the comic more of a sense of realism and I think he should keep the coloring style. :) Of course I can't figure out how to make a poll.. lol
Last edited by Shyanne on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggy

Re: New coloring style

Post by Tiggy »

I like it.

That's all I have to say. :p
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

It makes the comic look much better, I ust hope Rick isn't putting too much work on himself.
Last edited by Dubiousity on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I think it works great with the out door bright theme park. Love it.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Guys, I just think this new "style" is there to show that the sun is setting... that the day is almost over... I don't think it's really a new style.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Alex wrote:Guys, I just think this new "style" is there to show that the sun is setting... that the day is almost over... I don't think it's really a new style.
Seconded. Not that it couldn't be a new style, but I think that Rick would have said something.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Liam

Post by Liam »

Alex wrote:Guys, I just think this new "style" is there to show that the sun is setting... that the day is almost over... I don't think it's really a new style.
If I interpret his words right he's experimenting because he wanted to.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

It looks kind of hazy, and a bit more three dimensional. I do, however, prefer the previous style. It is less visually distracting, and to me simplicity is divine.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Shyanne wrote:I don't know if there is already a thread about this but i thought that we could talk about Rick's new coloring style, or rather his experimenting with the colors or whatnot. I really like this new coloring style, it's very mellow and makes the art looks "soft". It seems to give the comic more of a sense of realism and I think he should keep the coloring style. :) Of course I can't figure out how to make a poll.. lol
Only mods can make a poll.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Experimentation is a good thing, like I said, I really like how it looks!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Hera Ledro wrote:It looks kind of hazy, and a bit more three dimensional. I do, however, prefer the previous style. It is less visually distracting, and to me simplicity is divine.
You would not do well in art school. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Hera Ledro wrote:It looks kind of hazy, and a bit more three dimensional. I do, however, prefer the previous style. It is less visually distracting, and to me simplicity is divine.
because he has a opinion he wound do well in art school?
I think he's right,
It look better but it distracts a bit from the comic.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Kyderra wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:
because he has a opinion he wound do well in art school?
I think he's right,
It look better but it distracts a bit from the comic.
No, he wouldn't do well because simplicity isn't a viable option in art school.

At least it's not where I go.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

Teh Brawler wrote:
I think I misphrased. I do appreciate the beauty that certain complexities bring to the picture. What I dislike are unnecessary complexities, complexities which take away from the functionality of the piece. Picasso, as an example, had tremendously simple art in its use of lines. How he used those lines - how he layered and thickened and sharpened and did all sorts of other things - was the complexity, and it was a complexity which brought a function to the piece. I do not feel that the complexity that Rick is using brings functionality to his work; it certainly is different, but it distracts from the overall piece itself, which actually interferes with its functionality.

Basically, do not sacrifice functionality for cosmetics.

And nah, I'm really not big into the visual arts. I like them and appreciate them, but I'll be a monkey's uncle before I can draw even so much as a horse :lol:
Medli

Post by Medli »

I like it how he does it. I even liked the first few strips(even though it is better WITH color).
It´s all okay as long as it doesn´t result in the comics delay.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
exranio

Post by exranio »

I think he only reason its distracting is because it was new it did serve the functionality of showing the time of day the coloring showed that the sun was setting.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Well really it depends on what field you are in whether you'll be encouraged for simplicity. Animation takes an extremely long time to do, at least with two-dimensional work. Illustration is geared toward the style necessary for the project. Fine Art is really just about the name and the exploration of the philosophy of art. Now all of those can gear towards simplicity, examples being: the original mickey mouse, simplistic figures for a children's book, and minimalism in the contemporary art. Any stylistic choice isn't dependent on art school, rather I'd say it's your teachers Teh_Brawler. Style is a personal choice and journey in your own artwork but when you make a career in it, you have to be able to handle any style, whether simplistic or overly-detailed.

I draw extremely detailed and am versed in Fine Arts (though just because it says 'fine arts' doesn't make it better than anything else). I prefer the simplistic styles of cartoons and stylized anime' over the extreme detail because I'm just bored with over critical detail on my part. hahaha Plus art is about expression and if they don't touch on that in art school then something is definetly wrong with the core curriculum. Where do you go to school?

I'm not trying to sound critical, please don't take it that way. I'm just hoping to clarify.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I really don't see the need to necro this topic, Locked
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"