SQL Errors

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dissension

SQL Errors

Post by Dissension »

I'm just posting to say I'm aware of an SQL error intermittently affecting the PM system and user control panel. I've forwarded the info to relevant parties and await resolution. Sorry for any issues this may cause; we really appreciate your patience.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
kurowolfe

Re: SQL Errors

Post by kurowolfe »

Ah, no wonder then. Noted, and thanks for the heads up

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ikani
Server Sugar Glider

Post by ikani »

Fixed! The server ran out of disk space due to a 80GB log file. Oops. Fixed log rotation so that won't happen again!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

how in the world does a single file get that large?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Ah, dealing with SQL errors.

Bane of my existence.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, now that it's fixed, what does an SQL error do, fail to load a page or send the message?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

D-Rock wrote:So, now that it's fixed, what does an SQL error do, fail to load a page or send the message?
To pack a year's worth of classes into a short-ish explanation, a Server Query Language error can be any number of things - after all, it is just a programming language; in this case the one primarily used to build databases. I couldn't tell you for certain without looking at it myself, but given what Inaki said, log files are used to track changes in the database. Given that it was affecting the User CP and the PM system, I would speculate that any time there was a change to a user's profile or when a message was sent/read/sorted et cetera, the log file would be updated to keep track of the change, so that in case of a catastrophic breakdown in that particular database, you can figure out what change caused the whole thing to go kablooey. However, the constant updates to the log files from a large cadre of users over a period of time will make the log file grow larger and larger, until well... you have a giant file eating 80 gigs of memory. Without space to add changes to the log file, the system would prevent any changes being made - thus throwing up the error everyone saw.

Again, all speculation - Inaki could explain better, he actually saw the files. But that'd be my (relatively educated?) guess.
RP chars:
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

CosmicCoyote wrote:
D-Rock wrote:So, now that it's fixed, what does an SQL error do, fail to load a page or send the message?
To pack a year's worth of classes into a short-ish explanation, a Server Query Language error can be any number of things - after all, it is just a programming language; in this case the one primarily used to build databases. I couldn't tell you for certain without looking at it myself, but given what Inaki said, log files are used to track changes in the database. Given that it was affecting the User CP and the PM system, I would speculate that any time there was a change to a user's profile or when a message was sent/read/sorted et cetera, the log file would be updated to keep track of the change, so that in case of a catastrophic breakdown in that particular database, you can figure out what change caused the whole thing to go kablooey. However, the constant updates to the log files from a large cadre of users over a period of time will make the log file grow larger and larger, until well... you have a giant file eating 80 gigs of memory. Without space to add changes to the log file, the system would prevent any changes being made - thus throwing up the error everyone saw.

Again, all speculation - Inaki could explain better, he actually saw the files. But that'd be my (relatively educated?) guess.
Man you gave me a headache...but I think I understand now
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Thanks for the quick fix! I don't really get it either, but yeah.

On another note, in my 4 years here, I think this is the first time I've seen a post by inaki :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Well, I mean, I suppose I could throw more examples at you if you wanted, but they are called programming languages for a reason. :P They sound nonsensical if you don't know what you're talking about.
RP chars:
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

kurowolfe wrote:Thanks for the quick fix! I don't really get it either, but yeah.

On another note, in my 4 years here, I think this is the first time I've seen a post by inaki :3

I've seen one before.

Where he says he doesn't have admin duties, he just makes the server keep working.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Liam

Post by Liam »

CosmicCoyote wrote:-snip-
One part of the forum software that kept track of who sent PMs to whom, when avvies were changed, etc. ran out of memory. It threw up an error to stop recording that stuff, before Inaki assigned free sectors of space for archiving user activities.

That sums it up? :3
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Liam wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:-snip-
One part of the forum software that kept track of who sent PMs to whom, when avvies were changed, etc. ran out of memory. It threw up an error to stop recording that stuff, before Inaki assigned free sectors of space for archiving user activities.

That sums it up? :3
More or less. Why can't I make it that simple? >_>
RP chars:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because what is simple to people who know some programming is like Semidefinite Optimization math to people who don't know how to program.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Xane wrote:Just call them SQRRL errors. Easier to imagine SQRRLs eating the wires. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So we shifting the blame to the errors on Diss's uncontrolled squirrel minions now?
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So we shifting the blame to the errors on Diss's uncontrolled squirrel minions now?

No on Diss! he is the 300lb Devil Skirrl in the room? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah but he has thousands of minions he can't always keep his eyes on.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks for the explanations. Yes, programming languages is Greek to me, but nothing wrong with learning a bit more about it. Though there are times when I realize the "for dummies" version is the one to stick to for the moment.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
skyd

Post by skyd »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Because what is simple to people who know some programming is like Semidefinite Optimization math to people who don't know how to program.
I am assuming this has something to do with convex optimizations?
CosmicCoyote wrote:
To pack a year's worth of classes into a short-ish explanation, ...you have a giant file eating 80 gigs of memory... 80 gigs of memory
HOLY CARP! How many people are here?!?
The Quote Compliation!
Today I fell asleep reading a book. The book is called INSOMNIA. I win.”
― Adam Young
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.”
― Adam Young
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

enough to break a server, apparently.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Keep it up, and Diss will have you assassinated.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

guys, please keep this thread on the topic of reporting recurrences of these issues.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

Database log or error log?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @