Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

KJOokami

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by KJOokami »

I dunno, Sleet. Coconeru and BronyMike both make pretty legit use of kazoo on occasion. :P

But in all seriousness, definitely try to get the most out of those piano lessons. Being able to play an instrument of some sort is a very powerful skill to have. On a social level, as well as potentially on a financial/career level. Honestly, I wish my parents had made me take piano lessons at some point in my life. It'd make my life SO much easier now.

I'm still slowly (very slowly) trying to get myself up to an acceptable proficiency (for me, meaning at a point where I can play the background track to most of my favorite songs and sing at the same time), but it's an infuriatingly slow process without direction from someone who actually knows what they're doing.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

my gosh, theres already so many posts here since my last one :shock:
I always find it really hard to keep up with conversation in this thread because it seems like every time I log on, theres like three or four new pages of chatting that have gone on without me, and I'm always like:
"Well... thats nice... what are we talking about again?"
I think I'm gonna have to check in here like, every day if I ever want to keep up with you guys :P
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

A couple of years ago, the posting rate was such that I would go to work, return home nine hours later, and have six or seven new pages to moderate in the chat thread alone. It'd take two or three hours to slog through Not the Comic in its entirety.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Yeah, I remember that when I was here for the first time, we were able to write few new pages in chat threads only. It was fun ;) At least for us, because for Mods it was just nightmare, to read all this stuff and moderate forum.

Learn to play on any instrument, unfortunately I was never able to do that and I think I won't be able in the nearest future. But if I'll have occasion, I'll go with drums 8-)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

So... it was apparently a big surprise to someone I consider a close friend that I might possibly maybe perhaps kinda like music. Here's the thing, y'all...

... My grandmother came from a musical family; she, her siblings, and her parents sang (and played various instruments in) advertising jingles on the radio in Wisconsin in the early- and mid-1930s. Mom is a huge music fan. I can't remember a time in my childhood when there wasn't a radio on. One of my earliest, most prized possessions was a toy electric guitar and amp that came with a microphone. Till I was five years old, I was an amateur Elvis impersonator. I had a toy composed of several wind instrument sections one could arrange in any combination one wished. I had toy tambourines and other percussion instruments. In elementary school, I took to the recorder like a duck to water. Mom bought me a couple of toy ones and, eventually, a professional-quality one. I wanted piano lessons, but my family was way too poor. When we had the mandatory pitch test that determined whether students would be invited to participate in band, I pretty much got a perfect score. At the band auditions, I tried for basically everything. I played baritone horn and euphonium for seven years. I taught myself trombone and snare drum and, to some extent, keyboard. I grew out of the 'radio constantly on' phase at some point in my early teenaged years, though. I neglected singing for several years, too, much to my regret. I took music theory classes in college and composed a couple of not-great (and extremely short!) instrumental pieces.

If that block of text does not make things sufficiently clear, I freaking love music. I joke otherwise, but that's 'cause I'm not familiar with a majority of modern artists and groups and I use a feigned disinterest to weasel my way out of admitting there's something I don't know. I still, admittedly, have the fantasy of my childhood - rock stardom (OK, OK, it's really more of an "anything, so long as I'm a vocalist" thing).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm sure you love music, Diss. Sounds like your position in piano music though was the same position i was in when i was young when it came to drums. (Yeah, I like drums. But Pianos are my second favourite :D)

Funny thing is, I love music too. The majority of it though is on videogames. It mostly has to do with the timing and the moment that the music is played though, but the essence that is videogame music seems to bring out the best in me in terms of what i love about videogames as opposed to movies.

Also, thanks for the advice guys. I just felt like i needed more convincing these days. going to start turning my PC Off as late as 11 PM from now on. I gotta resist the urge to stay up and read every Housepets! comic and late-night friends on Steam. *whimpers*

EDIT: Forgot to say my mom is a very nice singer. Too bad I'm always embarassed for having a mom that sings very well. At least i tell her that. X3
Last edited by GameCobra on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Duster

Post by Duster »

Dissension wrote:
If that block of text does not make things sufficiently clear, I freaking love music.
That's awesome that you've got a passion for music Diss! And I wonder just how surprised your friend was?
My grandma's family's kinda sounds like yours, her and her three brothers used to compete in radio hosted sing-off's in Texas.
Only my eldest uncle hit it "big" and was offered a small record deal. He went on to becoming a lyrics writer for country/folk bands and lives in Cali where he basically lives off royalties.
My grandma and other uncles still sing - profusely - to this day, some times to my dislikeing.
I'm no where near as engrossed as they are but my childhood visit's to grandma's always had some measure of singing involved.
I can't really play ANY instruments ( save the guitar ), though i'd love to learn how to play the fiddle!
I also think it's cool that you know how to play SO Many Instruments. Do you have any interests in working in the music industry, or do you play music for music's sake? Either way it's pretty cool!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Wow, nice musical history Diss! That's cool how your grandmother sang in old advertising commercials! If you're still into the recorder (don't laugh people, I still got one around here somewhere), then maybe try the Ocarina? I got a cheaper one, it's so much fun to play and it sounds very similar to a recorder. I'm hoping to get a better quality, ceramic one soon, I've heard them and they sound awesome!

I too come from a very musical family, no famous people but my uncle's in a band that plays up and down the coast. My parents payed for me to learn piano when I was 5 and I liked it at first but then I became disinterested after a few years. I'm now kicking myself that I didn't stick with it but I took it back up in high school and my teacher said I had naturally arched fingers, so I suppose those lessons all those years ago helped! I also took up the Viola a little while ago which I enjoyed but a string eventually broke and I haven't played it since. I so want to pick it back up though.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

There's a lot of pop culture I'm trying to get myself back into after years of depressed isolation. I only recently turned back to pop music after years listening to Dance Dance Revolution soundtracks and the more recent advent of the Classic Hits format. (That's what they called it when the 80s became "Oldies".)

Of course, that's weird where I live. Because in Orlando we have three different CHR (Top 40) stations, plus we get signals from the CHR stations on either coast. And hearing the same song at the same time on five different radio stations kinda sucks.
Duster

Post by Duster »

Kitch wrote:There's a lot of pop culture I'm trying to get myself back into after years of depressed isolation. I only recently turned back to pop music after years listening to Dance Dance Revolution soundtracks and the more recent advent of the Classic Hits format. (That's what they called it when the 80s became "Oldies".)
In my opinion anything around for more than a few years is "old", I believe the word classic should be used for songs that will always be popular no matter what era they're from. Classic's should be thought of in a more positive light and not be simply a benchmark for a persons age or interests. Besides one or two interesting songs here and there most of todays music is complete garbage, so I can understand why you listen to 80's music.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Well the 80s is what I grew up with. That and the 90s. I started getting dissonant from pop music with the arrival of Britney Spears and Eminem, which was around my high school graduation.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Ow, your story is really cool Diss! Well, too bad I can't say same thing about my family. I wish I have more in common with music. But at least I could say, that I was raised on classical music, such as Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, etc. My mom is still listening a lot of this. I wonder at this moment, why I'm mostly into rock/metal music :P

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Unfortunately my family isn't very musically savvy. Heck besides my dad none of them even have good taste. The only musical "gift" I ever got from my family was having a dad cool enough to get me into metal at a young age(I still remember borrowing pantera and metallica cds from him in elementary school) My father and I are a couple metal/hip-hop fans stuck in a family of crappy radio-rock and country fans.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

What is it about Country that people don't like? I don't get what is so bad about it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Radion in the car is the only moment, when my dad is listening any kind of music. In general my family is not very musically. Probably I'm the only one who is listening so much music. First thing when I'm back at home is to play some music. I just can't stand silence, I just need to listen something :P

Punchy

Post by Punchy »

JeffCvt wrote:What is it about Country that people don't like? I don't get what is so bad about it.
I love Johnny Cash and Grateful Dead's later stuff was considered to be "country rock", but other than that I can't stand it. Today's country music is all my mom listens to besides 80's new wave.
My dad is the one who got me into punk rock with his Iggy Pop, Ramones, and Dead Kennedys. He doesn't listen to it anymore so I've got those albums now.
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think a big thing that hurts hip-hop and country is that they have some very bad examples clogging up the mainstream. Even the bad top 40 pop music is at least somewhat listenable simply because it's designed to be. Hip-hop and country are a little more "different," so tasteless versions of it are hard to listen to if that style isn't already your cup of tea. Not everything is drugs and prostitutes and trucks and chicken-fried steak. There are interesting musical ideas in those genres too. The only thing is it's hard to find them unless you already are a fan of those genres, so a lot of people just assume they're all generic and stupid.
Dissension wrote:I joke otherwise, but that's 'cause I'm not familiar with a majority of modern artists and groups and I use a feigned disinterest to weasel my way out of admitting there's something I don't know.
A good way to get to know more modern styles of music is to not intentionally downplay your enthusiasm for music around your musically-inclined friends. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

JeffCvt wrote:What is it about Country that people don't like? I don't get what is so bad about it.
I like country music, but I probably won't ever get most of the singer's names right...except Reba, and that's because I watch her TV show.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I should qualify that statement. I hate the kind of country that's on the radio. I don't listen to a lot of country but I enjoy artists like Cash and Nelson. So while I wouldn't call myself a country fan I can't really claim to not like at least some country. Old school country like that appeals to me. Newer country just seems like generic pop music with a country gloss over it. Yeah they're trying to play up the working class/small town image but it just strikes me as an act that is neither particularly convincing or well executed.
Punchy wrote: My dad is the one who got me into punk rock with his Iggy Pop, Ramones, and Dead Kennedys. He doesn't listen to it anymore so I've got those albums now.
well color me jealous. :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The problem with crappy top 40 country and rap is that it is diluted with pop elements. It is a way to water it down and make it so lowest common denominator that it appeals to the widest popular audience. That's why the lyrics, melodies and beats are so simple. That way there are no lyrics with any deep and meaningful lyrics.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Argh, you people just bashed my favorite genres of music.

*leaves*

No, on an unrelated note, I'm sitting here watching the videos for my Psychology class and I had to shut it off because it was almost painful.
"The Brainstem is the stem of your brain!"
NO FREAKING WAY REALLY?!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I have to say this - Nicolas, you've never failed us at this kind situations :P

Radio Blue Heart

Then again I listen to Death Metal and Punk and Industrial so what do I know...
-Virgil
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

my arms feel like wet noodles ;-;
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

what a coincidence, my wet noodles feel like arms 0u0
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
sonic id furreh!!!

weird o.o
Radio Blue Heart

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:my arms feel like wet noodles ;-;
You are slowly turning into an "Adventure Time" character.
-Virgil
sonic id furreh!!!

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:my arms feel like wet noodles ;-;
You are slowly turning into an "Adventure Time" character.
ai've never watched that show xc
Radio Blue Heart

And the reference collapses...

Your body is betraying you.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Then again I listen to Death Metal and Punk and Industrial so what do I know...
Well you know what good music is first of all..... :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Then again I listen to Death Metal and Punk and Industrial so what do I know...
Well you know what good music is first of all..... :P
Sadly a rare trait these days. Nobody understands how awesome bands like Turbonegro or The Sisters of Mercy are anymore since singers like Rhianna and Taylor Swift took over and music is all about profits now.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

music's been about profits for decades, you just need to know where to look for the music that's about more than that.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

I guess that's pretty true, but it seems like making money has been becoming increasingly more important than making good music in the recent years.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ever found that random sitting position that is just so amazingly comfortable?

Yeah, so I'm sitting on my bedroom floor (because chairs are overrated), with a pillow behind my back, slouched down, with my tiny feet up on my bureau, my head and neck perfectly in position with the edge of my box spring. The perks of being short!

Too bad I need to sit up because my butt is falling asleep.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm partial to instrumental bluegrass, personally. Those are some talented musicians sometimes. :D

*nibbles on everyone's asleep limbs*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I'm partial to instrumental bluegrass, personally. Those are some talented musicians sometimes. :D

*nibbles on everyone's asleep limbs*
all my limbs are awake. I want nibblings. :(

also, yes. Bluegrass is awesome. I wish I could play the banjo or fiddle. Some of the non-instrumentals aren't that bad either.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sarnoff wrote:I guess that's pretty true, but it seems like making money has been becoming increasingly more important than making good music in the recent years.
I've always hated that argument. THe music industry has always been centered on making money. The benefit of hindsight makes older generations music seem better because people have stopped listening to the cruddy music that was made. (for example it's no longer the 90's and while the smashing pumpkins are still popular bands like the backstreet boys have fallen off the face of the earth). In 20 years kids trying to be edgy will talk about how good music was back in the early 2000's. No generation is really better at making music.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Meh. I still listen to Backstreet Boys occasionally. :U

The main reason I tend to say I hate country music is because of the stereotypical "banjo music" that makes up a good portion of my older sister's playlists. The stuff with obnoxious cheering and "Yee-haw!" ing slapped into every break in the lyrics. I just hate the banjo as an instrument; the sound is grating on my ears.

Ukeleles I can tolerate. Mandolins are pretty cool. But banjos? Nope. Nopenopenope.

Rap I have a love-hate relationship with. While the majority of what I've experienced in the genre is absolutely terrible in every possible respect, I still find a guilty pleasure in rapping myself. It's just fun to do. :B

And the other musical taboo for me is screamo. And any other similar genre where you can't understand the words purely because whatever vocal gimmick the singer is going for completely negates any diction they might have had beforehand. The way I view it, screaming can be a powerful supplement to normal vocals (bands like RED, Breaking Benjamin, and 3 Days Grace are good examples), but using them as a primary sound is just a disgrace to all things musical. That's just my opinion, though. I don't go around berating other people for listening to it; I just really don't care for it myself.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

KJOokami wrote:I just hate the banjo as an instrument; the sound is grating on my ears.
but banjos are awesome. if played right, at least. I don't really listen to country so I don't know how they play it, but bluegrass banjo is awesome.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

"Pop changes week to week, month to month. But great music is like literature." -Ravi Shankar

I agree with Brent, the banjo is awesome. Just listen to Flogging Molly.
Panda Panda Panda