Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by JeffCvt »

Yea, it's a teacher workday. I'm one of those people who don't know about days off until the teacher in my last period says "Enjoy the 4 day weekend!" and I'm like "What? We got tomorrow off?"

I like it better that way anyway because it makes the days off even better when you thought you would be going in. Although it did backfire on me once when I drove to school, only to see no one there. A quick call to my mom confirmed we had the day off...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Guys, why do we have 150 guests on the forums right now? This is kind of freaking me out.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Today is the international Don't Join Housepets! Festival.
Seth wrote:
Sleet wrote:
Beagle wrote:Well, except Sleet because of his body odor. But I jest. :P
Hey, I have a vamlumtime! Evidently I have no body odor.
Or a valumtime with a bad sense of smell.
He's a canid, thank you very much.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:Today is the international Don't Join Housepets! Festival.
Sleeeeeeeet, make them go away, they're going to crash the server. Then inaki is gonna have to get on and de-muck it. How am I going to procrastinate if Housepets! goes down?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:
Hey, I have a vamlumtime! Evidently I have no body odor.[/quote]
Or a valumtime with a bad sense of smell.[/quote]He's a canid, thank you very much.[/quote]
I don't care if Voltaire wrote him it doesn't mean he can smell : p
(if anyone gets that joke you have my undying admiration.)
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Wow, thanks for the Valentine, Beagle! Mine is for everyone, although I wouldn't have made it if not for Beagle! ;) So you can blame her for making me get all mushy. I'm with Jeff though, we may not have ever met but I chat with you guys as much as, if not more than, my local friends. I couldn't imagine not knowing you guys! :D

Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

@Beagle: <3

I gotta get a camera for my PC next year. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

What activities do we get to do? I nominate giving cheap day after valentines chocolates to other users on the forum.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Seth wrote:I don't care if Voltaire wrote him it doesn't mean he can smell : p
(if anyone gets that joke you have my undying admiration.)
Candide pun
Zukio wrote:
What activities do we get to do? I nominate giving cheap day after valentines chocolates to other users on the forum.
nothing, cause you joined the forums.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Indeed. By joining the forums, you permanently renounce participation in the international Don't Join Housepets! Festival and obviate the need to consider how to celebrate it. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

A question for everyone here.

I'm helping someone translate a fic on FimFiction from Spanish to English. (Well, they are doing the actual translating and I'm proofreading, seeing how I have no actual knowledge of Spanish other than counting to 5)

They had the word decaffeinated in their translation as a word meaning "when sometimes the ponies had frightening surprises, they would not really last long, and their lives would come back to normality soon."

Now obviously, decaffeinated does not mean that in English. Does anyone know of an English equivalent to the Spanish meaning?
(To the mods, this isn't in the My Little Pony thread because the fact it's MLP related had nothing to do with the question I'm asking.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

How about fleeting? As in "when sometimes the ponies had frightening surprises, they would be fleeting, and their lives would return to normality soon." (I also changed "come back" to return if that's okay) I think that's the section you wanted translated. Other words would be momentary, brief or ephemeral at a stretch but I didn't think it fit the situation.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:Spanish to English.
Aaaaaaaaand I took French. I am of absolutely no help to you in your quest for the right word.

Also, Ny, that is just the cutest thing. X3 Thank you! *hugs*

*<3's back at GameCobra*
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Teehee! No probs Beagle! X3 *hugs back*

I'm on DeviantArt now!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Beagle wrote:
Sleeeeeeeet, make them go away, they're going to crash the server. Then inaki is gonna have to get on and de-muck it. How am I going to procrastinate if Housepets! goes down?
Skype with me :D
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Skype with me :D
I would love to! You can add me, just look for my name in the Skype thread.

Though I work pretty much all weekend, and I'm about to go to sleep.

Edit: I guess not. We woke up to snow, so I had to call in sick. It's too dangerous to drive around here since they don't salt the roads (except major highways) and the other drivers (native to NC) don't know that you can't go 55 on narrow, winding back-country roads without killing yourself or other people. My car survived a deer, but I don't know if it would get past a snow-idiot.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Too bad you don't get paid, but... snow! ^o^ *throws a snowball at Beagle*
Nyaliva wrote:How about fleeting? As in "when sometimes the ponies had frightening surprises, they would be fleeting, and their lives would return to normality soon." (I also changed "come back" to return if that's okay) I think that's the section you wanted translated. Other words would be momentary, brief or ephemeral at a stretch but I didn't think it fit the situation.
This is probably the best way to do it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Beagle wrote:Aaaaaaaaand I took French.
I'm thinking on taking some French lessons. What are your impressions so far? Is this language hard to learn?
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Karlos wrote:
I'm thinking on taking some French lessons. What are your impressions so far? Is this language hard to learn?
hard to learn, probably not. But I hated it cause I found it extremely boring. my school cancelled the Latin program the year I was going to start taking a language, and I didn't want to be like my brother and take Spanish, so I went with French and regretted it after starting the second year of it.

I wish my school had offered Japanese :/
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Duster

Post by Duster »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: My school cancelled the Latin program the year I was going to start taking a language, and I didn't want to be like my brother and take Spanish, so I went with French and regretted it after starting the second year of it.

I wish my school had offered Japanese :/
I know right? Japanese is a very interesting and unique language. I am not sure why schools don't bother teaching it, I mean they teach french right? Although you basically have to go to Japan, have a friend who speaks it or chat online to be able to really use it. Of course that's the same for any language i suppose.

I took a few spanish classes in high school and college, really wish I was more fluent with it because right now I speak broken Spanglish. At least I know (more or less) how to ask for directions so there's that!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Duster wrote:Of course that's the same for any language i suppose.
why would you need to go to Japan to speak French =P

also, it's not accurate. The United States is full of Spanish speakers, and we only need to take a short drive to use some French up in Canada, or down to Louisiana. Of course those aren't the same dialect they teach, but you can at least understand some of what they're saying.

but despite that, I'd still prefer to know Japanese over any other language (other than my native English, of course) because I;d be able to read untranslated Manga, watch unsubtitled anime, and knowing Japanese could prove useful in a computer science career since so much computer stuff happens there.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet, hey! *shakes snow off fur*
Karlos wrote:
I love the French language. The romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc) are very easy to learn if you are a native English speaker. I loved the class until the only teacher at my school had a baby and became a raging bipolar lunatic. There went Honors French 3 and AP French 5. [Note: At my school, most people can skip Honors French 4.]

The nightshirt I sleep in is written entirely in French, and I was in my school's French club for the two years that I took the courses.

And I couldn't take Spanish because the only teacher is a depressed alcoholic, I wanted to actually learn something, and only French would fit into my schedule.

@Brent- I self-taught myself a little bit of Japanese. I am a native English speaker, I know enough French navigate through France if needed, and I know a few words in Spanish, Lithuanian, Japanese, and Chinese. The Japanese is pretty rusty, though.

@Seth- The romance languages are so popular because they are so easy to learn to native English speakers as compared to the more complex languages, and if you know one romance language, you can at least read part of the others. I can read some Spanish and pick up some of it when I hear it.

~

Also, when learning a language, you normally tend to learn the "accepted dialect." I learned the dialect most commonly heard in areas like Paris. For instance, if I went to Canada, I'd be seen as super-formal, but they wouldn't look at me like I'm an idiot.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Thanks for the suggestion for helping me with that translation. I still have a lot to go over and fix.

It's strange that you all are getting into different dialects, because that is another limiting factor with me helping with the translation.

The guy speaks Spanish as his native language lives in England. So I'm assuming he probably grew up speaking Spanish over in Europe, then learned English in Europe. I figure that when we learn Spanish here, the dialect is probably more suited to Mexico than any other place, and then his English also has a different dialect then mine, making it even harder to figure out a happy medium between his literal translation and my corrections. (I'm trying to change it as little as possible. But even that's hard because we have different writing styles...)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Duster

Post by Duster »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
also, it's not accurate. The United States is full of Spanish speakers, and we only need to take a short drive to use some French up in Canada, or down to Louisiana. Of course those aren't the same dialect they teach, but you can at least understand some of what they're saying.
Umm.. sorry dude, I was just talking about french. I need only to walk across the street if I wanted to practice my spanish. I live in Texas soo it is not too hard to find someone to Habla Espanol with.
As for french well you could say I just prefer spanish over french because I'm just more used to hearing it.
Also, Short drive for you maybe but Canada is like over a thousand miles from here! Plus i've been to Louisiana and I don't really know if I want to go back (but thats another story).
I'd love to learn french in France though, that I would find very interesting.
also . . .
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Duster wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Umm.. sorry dude, I was just talking about french. I need only to walk across the street if I wanted to practice my spanish. I live in Texas soo it is not too hard to find someone to Habla Espanol with.
As for french well you could say I just prefer spanish over french because I'm just more used to hearing it.
Also, Short drive for you maybe but Canada is like over a thousand miles from here! Plus i've been to Louisiana and I don't really know if I want to go back (but thats another story).
I'd love to learn french in France though, that I would find very interesting.
relatively short. since you're in Texas, it's more like you're going from Mexico to Canada. I'm in Virginia so It's like half a day of driving. not like going to California for me, which would be about 2 full days of driving.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Duster

Post by Duster »

Why would you want to drive to California from Virginia? Unless you plan on taking a road trip i suppose!?
Just think with the money you would have to spend on gas alone I could probably afford a plane ticket to France, not to mention I would get to Europe a day and a half before you reached California by car! Y'know just saying. :lol:
also . . .
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it was hypothetical and based only on time it would take to get there, ignoring cost.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Duster

Post by Duster »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it was hypothetical and based only on time it would take to get there, ignoring cost.
Oh I know, I was just having a little laugh is all!
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

Beagle wrote:
Also, when learning a language, you normally tend to learn the "accepted dialect." I learned the dialect most commonly heard in areas like Paris. For instance, if I went to Canada, I'd be seen as super-formal, but they wouldn't look at me like I'm an idiot.
Canadian French is dumb French from real French people's perspectives.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I always wanted to learn French and I started but I didn't get very far. Ever since getting back into anime, I want to learn Japanese and working with a lady from Colombia, I feel like Spanish would be fun. But the only language I REALLY want to learn is Latin.

The language offers during my schooling were minimal, German and Japanese during primary school (I chose German because I had family from Germany and didn't know anime was traditionally viewed in Japanese) and then Indonesian in high school (which I forewent for the sake of science subjects and music).

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Beagle wrote:I love the French language. The romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc) are very easy to learn if you are a native English speaker. I loved the class until the only teacher at my school had a baby and became a raging bipolar lunatic. There went Honors French 3 and AP French 5. [Note: At my school, most people can skip Honors French 4.]
I swing between choosing French or Italian. I'm not sure which I should choose. Earlier I was thinking on taking Italian, but my friend, who studies French Philology on university, recently inspired me to take a look on French.

But I'm a bit afraid of grammar. I heard French has a lot of tenses and it takes some time to master it. But from what I can see from your post, it seems it's not such big deal at all :)

The only languages I could learn at school was English and German. There was also Russian, but that language was pushed aside from education after Iron Curtain felt. English was easy for me, because I started to lear it as a five year old kid though Cartoon Network, which was available only in English :) Getting though classes was never difficult for me and today I don't have problems with communicating by speaking English, though I have to admit that I still have problems when it comes to grammar and syntax. So probably I will have to live in a native English speaking country to settle such things.
German was not such big deal for me in Primary School, but my parents decided I have to quit it. I returned to it few years later, but somehow I was unable to learn it properly. It just couldn't get into my brain, like I was blocked from that language. But maybe if I tried today again, it can be different.

But if I'm going to start learning a new language, I will have to do it myself first. I don't have money for lessons, so I'm searching for proper books for beginners.
I'm a bookworm!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wanted to take Latin in middle school but we couldn't get enough students who wanted to take it, so there was no Latin class. I ended up taking Spanish instead.

Post by 0404 »

Blerhhrhrehhh brownies are too sweet for me, it almost made me throw up this morning.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'd take them, but sadly I am a fox!

Post by 0404 »

What happens if you nom it?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Foxes can't eat sweet things?
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no, they can't eat chocolate, just like dogs and cats
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Duster

Post by Duster »

No wonder Texascat018 was feeling blergh, cats can't have chocolate Texascat!
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

we all know that really well
McFly

Post by McFly »

Great... Now I want brownies.